Grip difference on tarmac outside the track

• Thread starter enzob
  • 31 comments
Brazil
Porto Alegre
Has anyone noticed how different is the grip on the tarmac of the runoff area of the tracks?
Take Silverstone for example and do some donuts inside the track, then try to do the same on (supposedly) the same surface but outside the track, it's totally different and also impossible to lose the car, even on sections that are part of the alternative layout of the track.

Sorry if it has been already discussed and widely known, but I couldn't find anything related.

It's not that it has more grip, it's that something like traction control turns it's self on when you go off track, preventing you from spinning your wheels. This imaginary system can't be turned off:mad:. You can tell by revving your engine off track, release the brake, look at your throttle indicator gauge and you see the same red limiting bar that you see when you have traction control on. It's really annoying:mad:.

It's not that it has more grip, it's that something like traction control turns it's self on when you go off track, preventing you from spinning your wheels. This imaginary system can't be turned off:mad:. You can tell by revving your engine off track, release the brake, look at your throttle indicator gauge and you see the same red limiting bar that you see when you have traction control on. It's really annoying:mad:.
This.

It's not the biggest problem by far but I think it needs to go.

Set Grip Reduction to Real and this problem goes away, for the most part. Still feel it has some affect but can't really tell.

TC still kicks in with grip reduction on real. I only use real.

I've not noticed extra grip, only the TC.

I drift at Stowe, the correct direction, and use the TC zone on entry to the corner at the end of the back straight, I try to time it in a way that I'm either keeping a wheel on track (no TC engagement) or I'm off the throttle whilst all 4 wheels are off track, and in these situations, the grip level feels consistent on both bits of tarmac.

Has anyone noticed how different is the grip on the tarmac of the runoff area of the tracks?
Take Silverstone for example and do some donuts inside the track, then try to do the same on (supposedly) the same surface but outside the track, it's totally different and also impossible to lose the car, even on sections that are part of the alternative layout of the track.

Sorry if it has been already discussed and widely known, but I couldn't find anything related.
I HAVE seen this topic and it's just another symptom of this game trying to do something it should have never tried to begin with. If PD wished to create a drift following, they should have developed another title to do so. Same with drag racing. This is a racing game, and I'll assume they turned on a bit of TC off-track because they didn't want to make "invisible" walls right at every track driving border and they didn't want to hear players screaming they were perpetually stuck in gravel traps or grassy areas which is what surely would happen without that feature. It makes perfect sense if you wish to race without all the bothersome "realism" of actually interacting with the entire environment. But I can see how it might bother those who wish to drive sideways and do donuts. So good luck.

I HAVE seen this topic and it's just another symptom of this game trying to do something it should have never tried to begin with. If PD wished to create a drift following, they should have developed another title to do so. Same with drag racing. This is a racing game, and I'll assume they turned on a bit of TC off-track because they didn't want to make "invisible" walls right at every track driving border and they didn't want to hear players screaming they were perpetually stuck in gravel traps or grassy areas which is what surely would happen without that feature. It makes perfect sense if you wish to race without all the bothersome "realism" of actually interacting with the entire environment. But I can see how it might bother those who wish to drive sideways and do donuts. So good luck.
Sorry but, it's a driving game. Not a racing game. 'The ultimate driving simulator'.

And donuts don't even really come close to what I like to do 👍

I believe the places where "traction control" is present on the Real setting are actually high friction run off areas, lots of tracks have these. Thoughts?

I believe the places where "traction control" is present on the Real setting are actually high friction run off areas, lots of tracks have these. Thoughts?
Na, real tracks may have them, but again, I'm 99% sure that's not it. It's the same no matter what grip setting you use.

Using Tsukuba's chicane, for example, feels the same as the rest of the track. Not a high friction run off but an unused piece of the track of course.

Using Tsukuba's chicane, for example, feels the same as the rest of the track. Not a high friction run off but an unused piece of the track of course.

It feels the same as the track, because it is part of a track. Now find any paved area that isn't part of the track, and you get the "TC" kicks in. And if it was high friction IRL, I'm pretty sure you could spin your wheels with 1,000 HP on comfort tires.

Sorry but, it's a driving game. Not a racing game. 'The ultimate driving simulator'.

And donuts don't even really come close to what I like to do 👍
Fussy, you posed a question and I attempted a logical answer. Your desire to do something with the game contrary to what the game is designed for is irrelevant to the correctness of the answer. Obviously PD gives you encouragement for drifting by supplying some cars and events for the purpose, but neglected to change the physics program to allow for the "open environment" you feel you need to perform your stunt driving. Maybe dual characteristics aren't possible with the PS3 on the same game. Which would be why I posed the thought that PD should have dedicated a game title to drifting rather than piggy back onto a racing game. Which GT is. I care not how the title is worded; the game is wholly populated by race courses, albeit with street courses included, but the goal of the programmers was equally obvious in making "runoff" areas recoverable (during a race event) by changing the "real world" grip characteristics to allow for better gameplay, not an accurate reproduction of real world conditions. Maybe PS4 will allow them to show both sides of the coin, as it were. Again, good luck.

Fussy, you posed a question and I attempted a logical answer. Your desire to do something with the game contrary to what the game is designed for is irrelevant to the correctness of the answer. Obviously PD gives you encouragement for drifting by supplying some cars and events for the purpose, but neglected to change the physics program to allow for the "open environment" you feel you need to perform your stunt driving. Maybe dual characteristics aren't possible with the PS3 on the same game. Which would be why I posed the thought that PD should have dedicated a game title to drifting rather than piggy back onto a racing game. Which GT is. I care not how the title is worded; the game is wholly populated by race courses, albeit with street courses included, but the goal of the programmers was equally obvious in making "runoff" areas recoverable (during a race event) by changing the "real world" grip characteristics to allow for better gameplay, not an accurate reproduction of real world conditions. Maybe PS4 will allow them to show both sides of the coin, as it were. Again, good luck.

I'm afraid you are mistaken.

I posed no question.

I, like you, gave an answer to the OP. More specifically I was backing up miss Stiggy, and then explaining my thoughts.

If you don't think 'stunt' driving is possible is GT6, I suggest you check out my video thread >here<.

Gt6 physics are fine for drifting, and all manner of car based lunacy.

Most of the 'race courses' you refer to are in fact 'motor sport venues'.

Please, I don't want a silly argument.

It says it on the front of the box - 'The real driving simulator'. It's not perfect, but it's close enough for me.

I think its there to slow you down and not let you cut the track
This is what I think it's for aswell.

I posed no question.

I, like you, gave an answer to the OP. More specifically I was backing up miss Stiggy, and then explaining my thoughts.

If you don't think 'stunt' driving is possible is GT6, I suggest you check out my video thread >here<.

It says it on the front of the box - 'The real driving simulator'. It's not perfect, but it's close enough for me.

This is what I think it's for aswell.
Miss Stiggy?
:lol:

It feels the same as the track, because it is part of a track. Now find any paved area that isn't part of the track, and you get the "TC" kicks in. And if it was high friction IRL, I'm pretty sure you could spin your wheels with 1,000 HP on comfort tires.

I mention Tsukuba because despite being part of the track, on the Low setting it's treated as if it weren't and thus heavy traction.

Do you have any places that what you're talking about occurs? It could be just how PD interprets these run off areas.

I posed no question.

You're correct, of course, Fussy, Enzob asked the question....I have no idea why I didn't proof that; my apologies for not catching it. And thanks but no I'm not interested in your exploits with the game. And the fact that this thread exists shows you're incorrect in part with your statement "Gt6 physics are fine for drifting, and all manner of car based lunacy.". Obviously the fun's over if you leave the actual racing surface of the courses provided. Equally obvious is there's a reason for that feature. Someone is obviously searching in vain for ways to shortcut a feature of the game that was intended to assist an off-course player in race mode. This game is not an "open" environment game. That the physics engine of the game allows for such tuning that you actually can reasonably simulate drifting is a bonus I'm sure; but the game and locations provided were designed with race gameplay in mind and the feature discussed here is connected to that purpose. S'all I was saying. It's a racing game with a pleasant (for some) side effect. But PD obviously hasn't thought to or can't program runoff areas for both grip assist for off-track racers and free play area for drifters. Clear now?

You're correct, of course, Fussy, Enzob asked the question....I have no idea why I didn't proof that; my apologies for not catching it. And thanks but no I'm not interested in your exploits with the game. And the fact that this thread exists shows you're incorrect in part with your statement "Gt6 physics are fine for drifting, and all manner of car based lunacy.". Obviously the fun's over if you leave the actual racing surface of the courses provided. Equally obvious is there's a reason for that feature. Someone is obviously searching in vain for ways to shortcut a feature of the game that was intended to assist an off-course player in race mode. This game is not an "open" environment game. That the physics engine of the game allows for such tuning that you actually can reasonably simulate drifting is a bonus I'm sure; but the game and locations provided were designed with race gameplay in mind and the feature discussed here is connected to that purpose. S'all I was saying. It's a racing game with a pleasant (for some) side effect. But PD obviously hasn't thought to or can't program runoff areas for both grip assist for off-track racers and free play area for drifters. Clear now?
Not really.

Watch my videos and you'll see, I need no 'free play area', the provided tracks are more than suitable.

More here
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/the-wheel-drifting-simulator-by-fussyfez.305754/

PN1534.jpg

Clear enough?

This'll be my last response on the matter.

If you wish to believe GT is only in existence to purely simulate racing, your are, again, mistaken I'm afraid. But don't let me stop you from believing it, carry on mate.

Last edited:
So what? Is this really important? No. This is another specious tertiary complaint that if acted on by PD will simply result in actual purchased content being delayed even longer than it has been to "fix" things that aren't really errors in the first place. It ranks up there with "why hasn't PD implemented a livery editors?"

@FussyFez Nice driving. I knew crazy stuff could be done but that was just insaine and fun to watch.

To the topic in the OP it's as stated previously not a high grip area but rather the traction control turning on to a setting equal to about 5 on the TC slider this allows the car to get out of the grass and gravel pits but also stops you from cutting cookies and power sliding the inside of corners. it's a "untintended" anti cheater element to the game.

@FussyFez Nice driving. I knew crazy stuff could be done but that was just insaine and fun to watch.

To the topic in the OP it's as stated previously not a high grip area but rather the traction control turning on to a setting equal to about 5 on the TC slider this allows the car to get out of the grass and gravel pits but also stops you from cutting cookies and power sliding the inside of corners. it's a "untintended" anti cheater element to the game.
I already liked your post but that's a great auto correct mistake :lol:

Thankyou :cheers:

Miss Stiggy... :lol:

Anyway, I understand wanting to make the game more inviting to the underskilled such as myself, but I would just assume suffer the consequences of running off of the designated track. Options!!!

Back