The wheel drifting simulator by FussyFez

• Thread starter FussyFez
  • 11 comments
United Kingdom
England
1395586949696.jpg

So it appears that I have started making videos.

They are all scattered about, so I thought I'd put them all together in one place.

I apologise for the poor quality and background noise, they're filmed on my phone, sometimes in the presence of my 16 month old son.

I like to include the mistakes because I'm still learning, and it just shows that even someone who can drift, still makes mistakes and spins out.

All my videos are done with a DFGT Wheel.

Enjoy!

The 360's

Latest video's

Last edited:
Heavy wall tap at Stowe

90 degree handbrake practice

Hachi-roku

The S14 at trial mountain

Last edited:
Great videos!!

Im using a dfgt too, and at the moment im struggling alot, on gt5 I could drift a few weeks, but here on gt6 I am becoming a little frustrated! Do you have any top tips, and if you get time could you possibly make a little tutorial on how to drift with the dfgt, showing the wheel?

Many thanks and good look on your videos!!:gtpflag:

Great videos!!

Im using a dfgt too, and at the moment im struggling alot, on gt5 I could drift a few weeks, but here on gt6 I am becoming a little frustrated! Do you have any top tips, and if you get time could you possibly make a little tutorial on how to drift with the dfgt, showing the wheel?

Many thanks and good look on your videos!!:gtpflag:
Hey man,

Thanks alot :cheers:

I've literally just written this:
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it was mainly spinning out of control.. I also believe that I didn't turn the steering wheel enough either as it is easier to get "full lock" on ds3.

I'm a bit curious, how do you use the g27 when drifting? With the gearstick and clutch or the pads, brake and throttle? And what about handbrake? I tried to set the top right button on the wheel as handbrake but wasn't such a good idea as the wheel kept turning.
I use a dfgt.

So throttle and brake, and sequential gearstick. I do have a home built handbrake but ignore that to start with. I am led to believe the G27 gearshifter can be set to sequential mode? I'd recommend that.

As others have said, if you want to just pass the trials, just hit it with the DS3. Drifting properly with a wheel borders on an art form.

It takes time and dedication to achieve any level of decent drifting with a wheel.

First, enter a corner at a normal race pace, then when you know you will make the corner (apex normally), floor the throttle and hold the steering into the corner. As the rear goes, keep the power on, and start counter steering, as you feel like the angle is enough, 'blip' off and back onto the power, whilst adding the last bit of counter steering, then 'catch' the slide on the throttle.

Edit
I pay most attention to the rotation if the car, if the rotation is too fast, you're about to spin, if it's slowing down, your about to snap back. I use the rotation of the car as my number one cue after steering wheel feel. (feeling for front end grip)

Some people find it easier to let go of the wheel of 'throw' it round and then catch it as you see the rotation of the car slow into a balanced drift.

Once caught, it's a balance of throttle and steering. About to spin? Less throttle/more counter. About to snap out of the slide? More throttle/less counter.

Too much throttle or too little counter will cause a spin. Too little throttle or too much counter will cause snap back.

Once you have the power slide down, you can start to look at feinting (weight transfer initiation) on corner entry to start the slide before the corner.

I have a few videos from different angles in my video thread, all done with DFGT.

You should see that the car rotates around the front wheels, meaning that my countering is in time with the cars rotation, not after or before it.

If your steering is too fast or too slow, you will spin or snap back.

It's all about balance, and practice.

>Here< is my video thread.

And >here< is my tune thread, with setups aimed at being beginner friendly.

Good luck 👍:gtpflag:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Here:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/drifting-with-ds3-vs-g27.306098/#post-9511009

What is it in particular that you are having trouble with? Spinning out? Or snapping back?

Try out this tune that has been well rated:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/resources/mazda-efini-rx-7-type-r-fd-91.34/

Also see my other beginner tunes, very stable, with enough power, but not too much.

All tunes are what I still use regularly, and are the ones used in the videos.

Also posted this about stopping snap back:

From my testing with a dfgt, the steering sense makes no difference. As stated above, the blurb says it affects stick and button steering.

No idea about g25-27

Regarding running lower rotation on a 900 wheel, IMO, it's silly, you are making the steering more sensitive, therefore you have a smaller window for where the wheel can be, for the front wheels to be pointing in the correct direction.

900 might make your arms tired, but nothing beats a lock to lock transition at 900.

If I was drifting a budget drift car in real life, it would be closer to the 900 setting.

I haven't even tried the other settings, I don't care if it makes it 'easier', it's going to be a lot less fun for me. That, and I'm used to 900 now, and getting rather good, even if I do say so myself.

In response to the OP, more throttle, and earlier with straightening the front wheels up, as soon as you feel the rotation of the Inital drift slowing down, you need to straighten the wheels and get the power down, or the only thing that's going to happen, is snap back.

It just takes practice and getting to know the car. Looking for the tiny visual cues about the cars rotation.

You need to get past reacting to the car, and move towards proactively controlling it.

Doing this whilst properly sideways is not easy, it's takes a lot of time with the car, knowing exactly what it's about to do, before it does it, and preempt it with your control inputs.

A good setup that suits your driving style helps a great deal, and therefore setting up the car becomes important. Knowing exactly what each alteration is doing, and if it's helping the issue, or creating another.

I've just built a budget 180sx, around 350bhp with low rpm turbo, and I havent had this much fun on comfort hards for a long time. Why? Because it gives me a lot less to worry about.

Light weight and modest power, with excellent throttle response is what you want. Supercharged ae86s are perfect for learning what's what. IMO.

If your trying to drift an m3 on comfort soft, that's your first mistake.

Don't get me wrong, gripping tyres can be used for drifting, but you have a lot less time to respond to what's going on. And you need lots of power to maintain any worthwhile drifting making it easy to unleash too much power and ruin the little bit of good drifting you had going on.

All IMO of course.

From here

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/stopping-snap-back-on-the-g27.300364/

Last edited:
Thanks!! I guess I should just keep practicing, is it easier or harder to drift online? Most of my practice has been online, would you recommend me doing it offline?

Thanks!! I guess I should just keep practicing, is it easier or harder to drift online? Most of my practice has been online, would you recommend me doing it offline?
I only drift offline because I don't have home internet.

Others have said they don't think there is any difference.

I use drift trial mode because you get extra steering lock angle.

Back