Group 3 BoP Testing

• Thread starter Tidgney
  • 290 comments
Nice project going on there ! I'm currentl in the process of testing all the cars from the game on Alsace (no BoP), what I'm doing is a 5 clean laps session with each car, then I check my optimal time and keep running until I get a time within 2 tenths of it. Also, I'm checking speed at two points on the track - here on Alsace, I chose 1st corner apex as point A and the end of the straight (a tree shadow to be precise) before the fast left hander as point B. Thus I not only have top speed, but also a way to measure acceleration by doing B-A. Only thing I'm wondering now is if it wouldn't have been better for acceleration figures to check speed A at corner exit (like at the end of the outside curb) rather than at apex, since I found some cars had different optimal lines to get out of that corner. Although, your tests being limited to Gr.3, you should be less concerned by this issue since they're all RWDs.

Also, I just finished Gr.4, got to do the 1.13 cars then I'll get to Gr.3 testings myself.

@GT_Alex74 Hmm I like the acceleration test idea. For a casual player that isn't going to extract the most from cars, acceleration and ease to drive is king for the lower ranks.

Maybe just testing 20mph to 150mph would be a nice figure to see for each car, should be quite easy to do.
I might have a go myself.

Maybe just testing 20mph to 150mph would be a nice figure to see for each car, should be quite easy to do.

Point A here is the second lowest speed on the whole track (slowest corner is followed by another corner so this wouldn't be relevant). Apex speed there is about 50-55mph on SH tyres and 60-65mph on RH tyres. Gr.4 point B speeds are around the 125mph mark on that track.

Hey Guys/Girls,

Sorry it's a day late :)! Would have been out last night but some rendering took me a little longer and I had to make sure the test was done last night as I managed to make the nations cup tonight unexpectedly, which would have hampered the test as it was the 911 at Interlagos! Here it is anyway and the Ferrari is next up!

Loving the videos Martin @Tidgney really good mate!

Can not wait for you to review the Corvette's GR3 kerb riding ability, its disgraceful :lol: especially at dragon trail!

Cheers Twissy, and everyone in fact enjoying the videos it's nice to see that everyone is actually interested in this! Everytime I drive a new car I'm always stunned at how it's got it's own personality to be honest. Big fair play to PD for that! I seem to remember that about the corvette as I drove it at Brands earlier this week I think it was and it definitely didn't like kerbs haha!

Nice project going on there ! I'm currentl in the process of testing all the cars from the game on Alsace (no BoP), what I'm doing is a 5 clean laps session with each car, then I check my optimal time and keep running until I get a time within 2 tenths of it. Also, I'm checking speed at two points on the track - here on Alsace, I chose 1st corner apex as point A and the end of the straight (a tree shadow to be precise) before the fast left hander as point B. Thus I not only have top speed, but also a way to measure acceleration by doing B-A. Only thing I'm wondering now is if it wouldn't have been better for acceleration figures to check speed A at corner exit (like at the end of the outside curb) rather than at apex, since I found some cars had different optimal lines to get out of that corner. Although, your tests being limited to Gr.3, you should be less concerned by this issue since they're all RWDs.

Also, I just finished Gr.4, got to do the 1.13 cars then I'll get to Gr.3 testings myself.

Glad to see more people testing! More knowledge and information the better :D! In terms of speed it's interesting! I'm testing Tokyo right now with these cars and it appears the speed traps I've setup are matching my Suzuka one so I'm still not 100% sure whether I'll do it or not but I'll test more cars and find out. I hate Alsace though, I've done 2 races there and it was a bit of a mess :P!

@GT_Alex74 Hmm I like the acceleration test idea. For a casual player that isn't going to extract the most from cars, acceleration and ease to drive is king for the lower ranks.

For sure acceleration and easy to drive big factors, I'm hoping the risk indicator pays that off and I'm still investigating the speed trap issue at the moment :).

Thanks again everyone, I'll try keep you up to date with all of these and I'll try get a general plan of when these are going to be out!

Glad to see more people testing! More knowledge and information the better :D! In terms of speed it's interesting! I'm testing Tokyo right now with these cars and it appears the speed traps I've setup are matching my Suzuka one so I'm still not 100% sure whether I'll do it or not but I'll test more cars and find out. I hate Alsace though, I've done 2 races there and it was a bit of a mess :P!

I have been doing quick laps on monza. A good place for speed traps is before the 1st chicane where you can get between 160 and 165.

Hey Guys/Girls,

Sorry it's a day late :)! Would have been out last night but some rendering took me a little longer and I had to make sure the test was done last night as I managed to make the nations cup tonight unexpectedly, which would have hampered the test as it was the 911 at Interlagos! Here it is anyway and the Ferrari is next up!

Cheers Twissy, and everyone in fact enjoying the videos it's nice to see that everyone is actually interested in this! Everytime I drive a new car I'm always stunned at how it's got it's own personality to be honest. Big fair play to PD for that! I seem to remember that about the corvette as I drove it at Brands earlier this week I think it was and it definitely didn't like kerbs haha!

For sure acceleration and easy to drive big factors, I'm hoping the risk indicator pays that off and I'm still investigating the speed trap issue at the moment :).

Thanks again everyone, I'll try keep you up to date with all of these and I'll try get a general plan of when these are going to be out!

Really looking forward to your 458 Test. It’s the only Gr3 Car I actually drive so i‘m curious about your opinion :)

Exactly this! It's amazing how these race cars still have their personalities as opposed to being perfect handling but dead cars. Keep up the great work, I love ypur Evo episode :D

I love this spreadsheet.

I was thinking, you could just chuck in the fuel and tyre usage info from the stickied thread.

When you finish it, it'd be great to simplify even more, to get it down to just 4 key factors which you could rate out of 10.
-Speed (quickest time across all tracks)
-Handling (kerbs,oversteer,twitchyness,anti-risk)
-Fuel effiency (from the stickied thread)
-Tyre efficiency (from the sticker thread)

-Overall (mean average of all above)
-overall -- just daily races (mean average of speed and handling only)

Possibly even combine the fuel and tyre efficiency ratings in to one there's a strong correlation between the two.

Good stuff @Tidgney , really helpful.

When are you (if you are) uploading the Nations Cup at Interlagos?
Noticed yourself and plenty of other drivers (including myself) not getting the quali lap they wanted. At least you finished strongly.

Question: Last corner on Lap 2, did you receive a penalty? I received a steadily increasing penalty immediately for (barely) tapping guy in front whilst exiting last corner. Almost nobody else seem to get one, yet one of the drivers in front both half T-Boned another driver and perhaps moved across in braking zone to block another driver, therefore everyone in front also made contact and had a slow exit. I think you were right behind me at the time. Was wondering if you slightly touched me. Me and Benito-Raul were punished.
The penalty system needs to change. Punishing innocent drivers because of other drivers' mistakes.

I have been doing quick laps on monza. A good place for speed traps is before the 1st chicane where you can get between 160 and 165.

The problem I have no matter where I do them I get the same outcome as I do at Suzuka, I may do a timed run from 50 mph to X speed but again this can be tricky keeping it at 50 in these cars :P. A couple sneak to 51 as I prep for the acceleration!

Really looking forward to your 458 Test. It’s the only Gr3 Car I actually drive so i‘m curious about your opinion :)

Awesome content. Really interested to see the Ferrari video 👍

The Ferrari has to be the worst car I've ever driven in this game! Well either I have a bug, or it's seriously the worst car I've driven! It also appears my wheels on the brink but even so the car has understeer, oversteer just all sorts of weird problems that I definitely wasn't expecting. Brands hatch I did 15 laps just to make sure I had done enough clean laps!

Exactly this! It's amazing how these race cars still have their personalities as opposed to being perfect handling but dead cars. Keep up the great work, I love ypur Evo episode :D

Cheers :D! Definitely good that they have different personalities, although not so good in the Ferraris case :P.

I love this spreadsheet.

I was thinking, you could just chuck in the fuel and tyre usage info from the stickied thread.

When you finish it, it'd be great to simplify even more, to get it down to just 4 key factors which you could rate out of 10.
-Speed (quickest time across all tracks)
-Handling (kerbs,oversteer,twitchyness,anti-risk)
-Fuel effiency (from the stickied thread)
-Tyre efficiency (from the sticker thread)

-Overall (mean average of all above)
-overall -- just daily races (mean average of speed and handling only)

Possibly even combine the fuel and tyre efficiency ratings in to one there's a strong correlation between the two.

The problem with fuel is that PD can change this and I can't do anything (where as I can with the BoP even if they change it). I'm thinking of doing 1 fuel run lap at the end of the BoP test to show fuel (All cars, 1 lap at track X). But I could put a lot of money on the Fuel changing in the next patch as currently Turbo and supercharged cars are OP vs NA.

I like the idea of the ranking system I may do that to put it in to 2 formats, thanks for that suggestion!

Good stuff @Tidgney , really helpful.

When are you (if you are) uploading the Nations Cup at Interlagos?
Noticed yourself and plenty of other drivers (including myself) not getting the quali lap they wanted. At least you finished strongly.

Question: Last corner on Lap 2, did you receive a penalty? I received a steadily increasing penalty immediately for (barely) tapping guy in front whilst exiting last corner. Almost nobody else seem to get one, yet one of the drivers in front both half T-Boned another driver and perhaps moved across in braking zone to block another driver, therefore everyone in front also made contact and had a slow exit. I think you were right behind me at the time. Was wondering if you slightly touched me. Me and Benito-Raul were punished.
The penalty system needs to change. Punishing innocent drivers because of other drivers' mistakes.

Nations cup will definitely be uploaded, although no TV camera as I couldn't save any replay? Maybe that was due to my wheel screwing up during qualifying I don't know :(. But even so the PoV will certainly be uploaded. Current planned release is Thursday :).

I didn't receive any penalty in that race, I think I was one of the only ones :embarrassed:! I was quite scared to get to close due to the reports of severe penalties although you'll see how close I got to some in the video ha :P! Just checking the raw footage now I just missed you by millimetres :P. I think they need to review speed differences (1mph difference tap shouldn't be a penalty) in the penalty system and they also need to get rid of the damn fuel usage that just does my head in... and I benefited from it massively in that race but even so it needs removing so the races can be intense!

Great stuff. Looking forward to your take on the McLaren 650S Gr. 3 [GT3, Gr3, Gr.3]. It seems no one has a conclusive take on it. It seems to be a car that isn't strongest in any one area, it's just decently quick across a large range of tracks. Maybe its advantage is that while it may be a few tenths down off the time of the best car for a particular track, it doesn't stray much further than that no matter what the car and track combo is? Just a theory.

I think it's better on fuel mileage though, its big tick against it is its eating up of the rear tires though. I'm thinking going aggressively with the brake bias and sending it forward all the way could combat that? Anyway, in terms of personality, it's a fun one to drive. Nervous enough under heavy braking, has a very solid front end, doesn't mind kerbs too much. it "feels" quite fast even if the times don't always agree. It also has a different feeling transmission to most other cars, I find myself using lower gears more effectively in it than other Gr.3 machinery.

I love its low stance as well. Thanks for putting these together @Tidgney :cheers:

The Ferrari has to be the worst car I've ever driven in this game! Well either I have a bug, or it's seriously the worst car I've driven! It also appears my wheels on the brink but even so the car has understeer, oversteer just all sorts of weird problems that I definitely wasn't expecting.
Wow, ok, so would you say with other words it’s the hardest to drive Car that needs the most skills to get it round a track fast?! I mean I exclusively drive it since day1 and haven’t touched anything else in Gr3. Actually I like the 458 a lot. Strange, but thx for your opinion. How are your Lap times compared to the other Gr3 Cars?

Wow, ok, so would you say with other words it’s the hardest to drive Car that needs the most skills to get it round a track fast?! I mean I exclusively drive it since day1 and haven’t touched anything else in Gr3. Actually I like the 458 a lot. Strange, but thx for your opinion. How are your Lap times compared to the other Gr3 Cars?
I swear the moment you touch another Gr. 3 you'll master them in an instant if you can handle the 458 with tire wear :lol:

I swear the moment you touch another Gr. 3 you'll master them in an instant if you can handle the 458 with tire wear :lol:
Well maybe i‘ll Cheat on my Ferrari someday, I mean would you cheat on Jennifer Lawrence :D after you spent so much time knowing her(458);) in and out. I‘m 1-1.5 behind #1 usually so well I don’t think i‘ll get any faster in another Car:odd:

Can confirm, the 458 is completely dreadful to drive in my opinion. Definitely not massively strong either
Well I saw it only 2or3 times in the top 10 indeed, driven by Muzzletod and ferrari321 iirc. I don’t know if it’s because it just lacks performance or if it’s just to hard to drive on the limit?!

Well maybe i‘ll Cheat on my Ferrari someday, I mean would you cheat on Jennifer Lawrence :D after you spent so much time knowing her(458);) in and out. I‘m 1-1.5 behind #1 usually so well I don’t think i‘ll get any faster in another Car:odd:
Fair enough :lol: I also know someone around here who uses the Viper religously (you know who you are)
Maybe you won't get a faster time because you know the 458 like the back of your hand, but maybe you will since most other cars are so much easier to handle :D

Well I saw it only 2or3 times in the top 10 indeed, driven by Muzzletod and ferrari321 iirc. I don’t know if it’s because it just lacks performance or if it’s just to hard to drive on the limit?!

Its strong-ish at tracks like Suzuka, but once the tire wear kicks in you're done for... Top 10 Boards don't tell the full story and often conceal my secret weapon as some cars are mediocre in qually but amazing in race trim.

Its strong-ish at tracks like Suzuka, but once the tire wear kicks in you're done for... Top 10 Boards don't tell the full story and often conceal my secret weapon as some cars are mediocre in qually but amazing in race trim.
ooooh. Do tell your secrets :dopey:

Its not that secret guys :lol: The Corvette is a total beast and definitely best in class for FIA racing, Its scary ability to fuel save and not lose time make it essentially the M4 of Group 3... Just don't tell anyone... ;) I joke of course
Ahh yeah the Corvette is really efficient :lol: the GTR is a bit more fuel efficient, if you can manage the tires

Latest Posts

Back