Group Lotus to Tony Fernades: Cease and Desist

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by prisonermonkeys, Sep 27, 2010.

1. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

No, there's no word on it. They'll want to sort out their chassis names first.

And they won't necessarily "have to" drop the Renault name. After all, McLaren is formally known as Vodafone McLaren Mercedes ...

2. RTSolvalou

RTSolvalou (Banned)

Aye, I'd prefer if they stayed as LRGP.

3. Pupik

Pupik Staff Emeritus

Am I the only one thinking..."wake me up in 2012 when you've figured it out, boys"?

4. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

I suspect they'd want to change to Team Lotus, but they'd have to buy the rights to the name from Tony Fernandes.

5. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

For all the dark predictions that Ferrari will block Group Lotus' attempt at changing a name as a means of getting back at Dany Bahar, they're surprisingly comfortable with it. They just want a structure in place to prevent constant name changes within teams.

6. Pupik

Pupik Staff Emeritus

Right, like when they temporarily renamed themselves North American Racing Team and painted the cars blue and white in 1964?

[​IMG]

:dopey:

7. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

Indeed - it's not a crime if Ferrari are the ones committing it.

8. Danny

Danny Premium

9. Hun200kmh

Hun200kmh

At last.

Welcome to the Caterham name (who would ever guess ... :) ), wishing the best to Lotus-Renault, and about the Marussias well ... all I can say is that they were Virgins once :lol:

That was NineteeenSixtyFour ... :rolleyes:

btw, found this interesting:

Good old commendattore and his prima-donna attitudes :lol:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  10. Hun200kmh

Hun200kmh

On second thought, unnecessary DP, sorry. Please delete, I'll transfer the text to the post before.

11. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

And thank the stars for that!

Now, we just need to wait until the WMSC meeting in December to have it all made official.

12. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

The latest twist in the tale: Lotus F1 has terminated its sponnsorship with Lotus Cars.

13. Liquid

Liquid Premium

Wut.

I've just been re-reading this thread and it's given me an almighty headache.

So, the Enstone-based team has had its sponsorship with Lotus cancelled. Where does this leave it with its entry name?

If Caterham are still Caterham, but Lotus are Lotus but not Lotus as in Lotus who make sports cars Lotus, does that mean Lotus should revert to Toleman and do us all a favour?

14. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

They're keeping the name. They can apparently keep it until 2017.

Gerard Lopez and Genii Capital have been mentioned pretty frequently as a potential buyer of Lotus Cars. If they have plans to do this, severing all ties with the company first - so no-one can cry "conflict of interests" - would be a logical step forward.

15. Prince.M5

Prince.M5

Owkey, so I re-read that article and from my understanding, Group Lotus has terminated any contracts and collaboration with Lotus F1 Team but is keen to keep the Lotus name there and the team remains as Lotus F1 Team? Seriously, this is a real headache!

EDIT: Just read your explanation PM, thanks!

16. Liquid

Liquid Premium

So the owners of the Renault-powered Lotus F1 team have disassocaited themselves from the Lotus sport car company so they can (assumedly) complete a takeover of the car company in good faith, at which point the two companies will probably overlap once again.

Correct?

17. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

I'm guessing that's what they're doing. It's confusing, but it only works if it's transparent.

18. tribolik

tribolik

So team Lotus has signed a sponsorship with Microsoft... its going to be funny when F1 2012 comes out for the PS3 with a car with Microsoft on it :D

19. Prince.M5

Prince.M5

I saw 'Microsoft Dynamics' decal on the car somehwere next to the driver's head since Australia. Have they changed it and have them bigger on the car?

20. Ardius

Ardius

No more funny than Acer being present on the Ferraris. I still don't understand why people think this is something that annoys Sony (or whomever). There are probably loads of companies that they are in competition with that are present in several racing games on PS3, such as Acer, Panasonic, etc.

Microsoft is already present in GT5 anyway, along with Sega Sammy...

21. tribolik

tribolik

I think its funny and Im entitled to it... as I think its funny that the Ring in GT5 has a Forza grafiti on it and no GT grafiti when the actual track has both. I bet you didnt know that :lol: :lol: :lol:

22. Lizard

Lizard Premium

Where is the forza grafiti?

23. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

Can we maybe take this discussion somewhere else? How and when Microsoft logos will appear in a game on the Sony Playstation is not the issue here. Lotus F1 severing its ties to Lotus Cars is the issue.

24. tribolik

tribolik

Around minute 9:20

25. Northstar

Northstar Premium

So will they still be black/gold in China?

Forza is an Italian word, that is like saying FM has GT references because it has the Maserati GranTurismo in it.

26. Hun200kmh

Hun200kmh

Wouldn't surprise me, GT4's Fuji had KONAMI boards all over the S/F line (Konami was Enthusia's publisher/developer and therefore PD/GT4 rival in those days).

Back on topic, apparently Lotus (the car maker company) is in a mess, its owner Proton was sold, Proton no longer has an option to buy 50% of the Genii Team and the Genii Team can call themselves "Team Lotus" if they wish.

I wonder how the state of affairs concerning Lotus (the car maker company) will impact all the sponsorship deals, but especially how will it impact the engine supply deals for Indy.

27. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

Like I said earlier, I think this is a move by Genii to buy Lotus without being accused of having conflicting interests. It's only really a problem if someone else buy Lotus and decides they don't want to be involved in motorsport.

28. Hun200kmh

Hun200kmh

29. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

That's because Genii would need to wait a little while before buying the manufacturer.

30. Prince.M5

Prince.M5