Gt-4 Disturbing News

• Thread starter LOWTECH
  • 33 comments
Well, I've just read through ALL the posts on the "Cars you'd like to see in GT-4" thread, and I have to say I'm a little terrified. Let's not lose sight of what Gran Turismo was supposed to be, a road RACING game. Trucks, SUVs, station wagons, luxury cars, TANKs and BUSSES for cryin' out loud?!!! There are plenty of crazy driving games 'out there' to cater to every weird driving fetish you might want to indulge in. Let's not waste the best RACING Simulator with that kind of nonsense, let's race. Let's get rid of any car that isn't or wasn't ever road raced. That's not to say we get rid of all the econo-boxes, some of them get modified and are raced very effectively. Tell me it isn't satisfiying beating a Skyline or a Corvette with a 180 h.p. Mini on a short track due to superior handling!! It's all about the DRIVING. The racing spirit and heritage were important parts of both GT-1 and especially 2. That means new AND old cars with real racing history. No Nascar, no drag racing, import or any other kind. Drag isn't about driving, it's about who spent more money on their engine, and who has a faster reaction of the line. That doesn't mean take the Hondas and other imports out either. These cars are also modified and road raced in touring classes and other SCCA events. Older imports are still raced very competively in vintage classes. These races are very exciting to watch and participate in. These 'Grassroots' racing efforts are particularly cool because it's accessable to almost any race enthusiest. I mean how many of us are going to really ever drive a Ferrari or McClaren F1?
However, it's also important to keep these 'supercars' in the game for that very same reason. Plus all the great european road racing and F1. It was a shame that they got rid of 'RACE CONVERTING', that was one of the best features of the previous games. Taking a fairly ordinary looking car, modifying the performance, tweaking the suspension, and then puting some race livery on it and suddenly you've got a giant-killer race car! That's cool.
Also, while we're at it, let's get rid of all the duplicate 'versions'. Type M this, Toms that,.... Whatever. If you want a Mugen Integra, put Mugen parts in the upgrade parts department. One R34 Skyline GT-R is enough. How about a '71 GT-R? Let's free up space for more different cars. Let's put the American Muscle cars back in, BUT ONLY if they can be race converted. Like the old Trans-am road racing cars. There shouldn't be ANY cars that cannot be race converted! It's a RACING game.
I realize that there are limitations with licensing on what cars are obtainable but surely at least let's get cars with racing potential. Personally for me, I love the old cars. Minis, Abarths, Lotuss, Datsuns, GT-40s, Lancia Stratos, etc..... but I realize it's not just for me, but it should be a Road Racing game in the truest sense of the word.
Those at Polyphony should know what I mean. Think about all that great racing in Japan in the '70's. GT-Rs, Toyotas(2000GT), Bluebirds(510s), Fairladys(240Zs), all with big, add on fender flares and huge oil coolers on front, battling it out on tight road courses. Now That's RACING!! GT-3 was a step forward in graphics, but a step backward in gaming, let's move forward again on BOTH fronts. What do you say?!!

Amen brother, amen. I couldn't agree more with what you've said man. :D Keep these good ideas coming, you've got what I think the perfect idea for upcoming GT series. Word!

For those of us who have taken out Mustangs and Skylines with a Storia, I whole heartedly agree, though I must admit I want to see some more 'REAL' cars like my beater AE82 Corolla (the Hachi-Roku's FWD twin, which I've seen autocrossing).

I hope that Polyphony does a good job in figuring out what we REALLY want and come up with a game that's equally acceptable to all of us.

Originally posted by LOWTECH
Well, I've just read through ALL the posts on the "Cars you'd like to see in GT-4" thread, and I have to say I'm a little terrified. Let's not lose sight of what Gran Turismo was supposed to be, a road RACING game. Trucks, SUVs, station wagons, luxury cars, TANKs and BUSSES for cryin' out loud?!!! There are plenty of crazy driving games 'out there' to cater to every weird driving fetish you might want to indulge in. Let's not waste the best RACING Simulator with that kind of nonsense, let's race. Let's get rid of any car that isn't or wasn't ever road raced. That's not to say we get rid of all the econo-boxes, some of them get modified and are raced very effectively. Tell me it isn't satisfiying beating a Skyline or a Corvette with a 180 h.p. Mini on a short track due to superior handling!! It's all about the DRIVING. The racing spirit and heritage were important parts of both GT-1 and especially 2. That means new AND old cars with real racing history. No Nascar, no drag racing, import or any other kind. Drag isn't about driving, it's about who spent more money on their engine, and who has a faster reaction of the line. That doesn't mean take the Hondas and other imports out either. These cars are also modified and road raced in touring classes and other SCCA events. Older imports are still raced very competively in vintage classes. These races are very exciting to watch and participate in. These 'Grassroots' racing efforts are particularly cool because it's accessable to almost any race enthusiest. I mean how many of us are going to really ever drive a Ferrari or McClaren F1?
However, it's also important to keep these 'supercars' in the game for that very same reason. Plus all the great european road racing and F1. It was a shame that they got rid of 'RACE CONVERTING', that was one of the best features of the previous games. Taking a fairly ordinary looking car, modifying the performance, tweaking the suspension, and then puting some race livery on it and suddenly you've got a giant-killer race car! That's cool.
Also, while we're at it, let's get rid of all the duplicate 'versions'. Type M this, Toms that,.... Whatever. If you want a Mugen Integra, put Mugen parts in the upgrade parts department. One R34 Skyline GT-R is enough. How about a '71 GT-R? Let's free up space for more different cars. Let's put the American Muscle cars back in, BUT ONLY if they can be race converted. Like the old Trans-am road racing cars. There shouldn't be ANY cars that cannot be race converted! It's a RACING game.
I realize that there are limitations with licensing on what cars are obtainable but surely at least let's get cars with racing potential. Personally for me, I love the old cars. Minis, Abarths, Lotuss, Datsuns, GT-40s, Lancia Stratos, etc..... but I realize it's not just for me, but it should be a Road Racing game in the truest sense of the word.
Those at Polyphony should know what I mean. Think about all that great racing in Japan in the '70's. GT-Rs, Toyotas(2000GT), Bluebirds(510s), Fairladys(240Zs), all with big, add on fender flares and huge oil coolers on front, battling it out on tight road courses. Now That's RACING!! GT-3 was a step forward in graphics, but a step backward in gaming, let's move forward again on BOTH fronts. What do you say?!!

IM with you on that... ONE question, how long did it take to type all that? :)

Originally posted by LOWTECH
...Let's free up space for more different cars...

Um, I don't think Space is really something we have to consider... GT3 was originally on a CD(I heard it eventually went onto a collector's item as a DVD?), so if we could put GT4 on a DVD, that would mean what, nearly 9x as much stuff as what's on GT3, PLUS the hard drive addon stuff AND the online games?

Actually, you are wrong rjensen11.

GT3 is on a DVD and Kazunori Yamauchi said that they nearly used all of the allocated 4.7GB's.

The next Gran Turismo may end up as a two DVD set.

what the **** s**t happened to rome night from GT2, that course was absolutely amazing and grindlewald, get my drift?!!!!!!!!!!

whoops wrong thread, strong point!

I agree....
GT2 was a godsend to auto entusiest.
I miss the older cars in GT3.
I heard the reason why there wasn't alot of cars in GT3 is because of time constraints.

Just make it 2 DVDs, one pure racing cars:Turing, LeMans, F1, all that., and then the other normal cars that people could buy, from exotics to cars that are slow as hell, they should all be in GT4. I like driving the slower cars, it makes you drive harder to win....

Wasn't GT1 on 2 CD's? One for Arcade, one for Simulation? If you ask me, I HATE arcade. I think they should make a 2 DVD GT4 with both CD's filled with Simulation. I could like with the wait, just got GT3. And the first CD of Simulation could be all cars 1975 and back. All cars should have race conversions. I would love this because my dad has a 1970 Cutlass so I would LOVE this car with a racing coversion. Also, maybe like an oval track for them since the big bulky cars like Chevells and Cutlass'es arent exactly THAT aerodynamic ;) Then the second CD would just be like GT3 but with a LOT more cars, and the racing modifaction like in the first games. Just my 2 cents.

I agree with You 100%.

Polyphony has covered nearly all Japanese cars, old and new in GT2. GT4 should follow the same path. BUT they should include more new and classic racing cars from Europe and USA. Also classic and new sports cars from USA anbd Europe. Especially Europe has a long racing heritage. In USA ofcourse 60's and 70's SCCA and Can Am series etc. If they cannot complete this large amount of cars on schedule.....Then they could make an expansion disk with huge amount of cars.

They better add Lamborghini Diablos in GT4 and they better not keep them as a code. They should also put them in the car dealers so that we all can buy those exotic supercars of extreme fun.

It is a pure racing game and I'd like to see it stay that way. I'll echo your thoughts.

Could PD possibly break it down into a few different games? GT4 - Classic (all classic cars)
GT4 - Off road (all rally tracks, cars, buggy's and trucks?)
GT4 - Pure Road (All the road racing you can hanlde)
GT4 - Concept (concept cars)

If you own Midnight Club and Smugglers run (By Angel Studios) you'll find that you can unlock a the SR buggy on MC by having both save games on one card.

PD could do that...

Busses? Tanks? From the sounds of it, these guys just want PD do make GTA3.

AO

Grindelwald, and Rome Night kicked ass, I also miss Red Rock Valley or whatever. And GT4 better not have any SUVs or trucks, that's not what grand touring is about.

Back