GT Academy 2011 - General Discussion

• Thread starter Synwraith
  • 1,141 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
The competition is about finding the best guy to the job at hand, in their minds. You know what? That person has been found. Simple as that.

Be sure you understand what you're signing up to.

Ohh, i see what you did there:P! We have a saying here in Portugal: "For a good listener half a word is enough!"

Trolling the forum isn't going to help explaining to some of these other really talented guys that were short changed. Straight answers to simple questions by grown ups that would make a few things a bit clearer would be much more useful.

What are you expecting them to say David? - 'Yes, we wanted Jann to win. We needed a young UK winner this time as he has lots of potential to have a long term career and promote the brand'.. ?

I've said this before, GT Academy is a not a sanctioned sporting event, it is a reality TV show that turns gamers into racers. The creators and the judges can manipulate it how they like, fair or unfair. I was happy to be a part of the National Finals and gave it my all this year, very narrowly missing out on a place in Silverstone, although I now see it as a blessing in disguise. Next year I will be back doing the same.

I don't understand why you constantly complain about people in the competition. It was the same with James Hudson because of his drifting experience, and now that he didn't get through it's Jann. It seems like you can't be happy for anybody. Please, just give it a break and move on.

I do recal you do a fair bit of moaning just after the nationals or at least feeling hard done by Des. Having to compete against an athlete for example, I very much doubt any of us could've beaten him even if he wasn't a professional athlete. As for James I wouldn't have minded if they'd have just let us run around the track properly like the journalists.
I've got issue with the organisers like I said, with their split screens and their dodgy wheels and re-runs and inconsistent refereeing that's cost so many people so much. I'm one of the lucky ones that their poor perception of events has never had an adverse affect on, I've snuck under the radar each year.
I stand by my feeling that they shouldnt have run the wildcard combo in round one, they shouldnt have given Jann practice and the wrong grid position in the head to heads. Simple things they shouldn't have done. As for the other years it was painful watching so many good drivers get rammed out of their races.
Wouldn't it have been nice to see the kid blaze a trail through this competition properly with no question. The biggest mystery is the military drop out and the funny car failure
Anyway that's me done its old news now I'll still be watching Le MAns.

I did do my fair share of complaining straight after the competition, but it was mainly because I felt I could have made it if the game wasn't weighted so hard. I thought I had a shot if James wasn't in the competition as well. But soon after I realized that what's done is done and it can't be changed and at the end of the day we all had our chance.

It's been now well over a month since the nationals, the international final is over, and here we are still listening to arguments about how the national was run. I really don't see the point at this stage.

Sony/PD/Nissan whoever it is that decides needs to bring girls into the equation, seeing an image of the final 10 doing military style tests all together just looks like a pot full of testosterone. The final 10 people of GT Academy should consist of 5 girls and 5 boys.
It would provide a great opportunity.
A girl might only need to get in the top 1000 simulator lap times to get to Silverstone. Good odds.

Sony/PD/Nissan whoever it is that decides needs to bring girls into the equation, seeing an image of the final 10 doing military style tests all together just looks like a pot full of testosterone. The final 10 people of GT Academy should consist of 5 girls and 5 boys.
It would provide a great opportunity.
A girl might only need to get in the top 1000 simulator lap times to get to Silverstone. Good odds.

There's a problem with that. What if they're slow? If that happens even more people will rage at the whole GT Academy concept (i.e. - people missing out on a spot in Silverstone to someone who isn't particularly good in the game to start with).

On the other hand they could have a seperate leaderboard and get the 5 girls and 5 boys for the international final? There is interest in the competition from the opposite sex as seen here in the video from the UK GT Academy wildcard qualifying.

Yes a separate leader board or whatever, but the fact they are slow compared to the males should not be a consideration, and I doubt it need be, ladies can be quick. But the actual Silverstone event should be split 50/50 between girls and boys no matter the difference in ability.
Whether there should still be 1 prize only or 1 for each gender I don't know, but that is secondary to the principle of having a 50/50 gender finals event.

Louie_Schumii
Plenty of tyre squeal on that vid 👍

Who was driving? I thought I saw a Stig helmet too :lol:

It was Jordan. Shoulda put that in the description! I'll do it when I get home.

We almost had a wee accident. Although on the video it doesn't look too close but when that seat shut the door on us I thought we were going to hit him but Jordan anticipated it nicely

It was Jordan. Shoulda put that in the description! I'll do it when I get home.

We almost had a wee accident. Although on the video it doesn't look too close but when that seat shut the door on us I thought we were going to hit him but Jordan anticipated it nicely

Ahh excellent. Oh by the way while were on the topic of GT Academy does anyone know what their plans for the future of this are?

So plans for their current crop of drivers beyond their contracts, possibility of doing this in other continents and the frequency of holding them every year or so?

Soz, had to be the one to ask :sly:

If you don't knock on the door none of them will open! :lol:

There won't be any more GT Academy, that is now patently obvious.
Everyone played in a very sportsman-like fashion but they wouldn't get that next time I imagine.

There won't be any more GT Academy, that is now patently obvious.
Everyone played in a very sportsman-like fashion but they wouldn't get that next time I imagine.

Why won't they hold another one?

If GT Academy keeps selling more Nissans and Playstations surely they'll have another one. Just a question of when and where.

Why won't they hold another one?

If GT Academy keeps selling more Nissans and Playstations surely they'll have another one. Just a question of when and where.

They're on the fence about doing another North American Academy next year. (Canada and Mexico possibly included) I think it depends on how well Bryan does.

They're on the fence about doing another North American Academy next year. (Canada and Mexico possibly included) I think it depends on how well Bryan does.

Bryan should do well. From what I've seen on GTP's front page him and Jann are doing very well so their performances shouldn't be of too much concern should it?

I have a feeling they planned this to be a yearly event when the grand prize for winning GT Academy is competing in the Dubai 24 hours contrary to getting a full season in say the European GT4 cup like Jordan did (ie - after that I'm assuming Sony and Nissan will let Jann and Bryan go do a bit more sponsor hunting and divert more of their resources back into a new batch of hopefuls to promote Gran Turismo, Sony and Nissan). Although that's just my speculation on what they planned for GT Academy anyway...

We can even get carried away and say they plan to have a full batch of virtual-to-reality drivers competing with one car in an endurance race and/or series from all corners of the globe!

Again I'm just guessing but they did give a slight hint on one of their press releases by saying something along the lines of "GT Academy's global footprint is growing!"

images
we can all daydream...

An all GT Academy LeMans team would be awesome.

An all GT Academy Dubai 24 Hour race team would be reality. It was announced in an interview on Radio Le Mans during the last Le Mans 24 Hours race.

An all GT Academy Dubai 24 Hour race team would be reality. It was announced in an interview on Radio Le Mans during the last Le Mans 24 Hours race.

So Ordonez, Tresson, Heitkotter and Mardenborough then?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I saw Alex Buncombe or some other driver replacing Tresson for Dubai..?

Hmm I would of thought it would be up there around now really, but it's not.
I'll try and find out and get back to you.:)

Jann

Cheers thanks Jann :)

Just had a look at the site again. Episode 2 is "coming soon to 4oD" but episode 1 isn't..are you trying to make the people who missed the first episode become glued to their sofas while waiting for the show to come on so we don't miss any more episodes? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back