GT Academy 2012 (EU) General Discussion

• Thread starter Manuelos
  • 1,584 comments
Hey Hugo,

Liked your page last week. Similarly I also need the GT Academy communities help.

I applied to the NAC Motorsport Team with an application video that is meant to be "as entertaining and engaging as possible while presenting a profile of yourself." I was shortlisted for their scholarship on Friday.

The rest of the application process seems like a bit of a popularity shootout and since the funds aren't allocated until the voting process ends every vote counts.

Voting link is in the video.

Mind you it's all done on facebook and is a marketing activity for NAC Motorsport so it is designed to get them as much media attention as possible - Nonetheless it is far easier to give a few clicks than it is to give the tens of thousands of dollars required to compete in an entry level circuit racing series.

You're vote can really make a difference and as a New Zealand GT Academy National Finalist/world class Gran Turismo 5 player I ask for your vote to help another gamer to cross over into reality.

Kind regards and yours truly,
Luis

Done fella!

Good luck

You should never think that you are entitled to anything in Motorsport, but I want to ask you guys a question. Do you think I should feel hard done by? :

We've all heard of Nissan helping previous GT Academy contestants get their feet off the ground, the most notable being Thomas Arends, who through Nissan and Playstation NL managed to get a drive in Dutch GT with the help of Tim Coronel. Before I even went to Silverstone I contacted Nissan Ireland telling them my story and asked if they were interested in helping me or pushing my story. No reply.

I then went on to win the UK & Ireland section of GT Academy at Silverstone, placing me in the final 6 of Europe, which is something I'm especially proud of since there was around 183,000 in our region to begin with. I contacted them on facebook this time instead of email. "Thanks for sharing, Des".

So I thought whatever, it's not going to be easy, but it doesn't seem like Nissan Ireland want to help me which is a bit disheartening. I still went and contacted countless other people in the industry around Ireland. Most emails or messages didn't receive any acknowledgment and most that did told me that I would need tens of thousands to do any sort of a season. I accepted this and am now in the process or re-evaluating how I can get enough money together and find the right people to help me. I expect this to be a long road, but I am under no illusions. Nothing is guaranteed and it will be tough to get behind the wheel of a race car again.

Back to Nissan Ireland. On my news feed today I see that they had just held a Nissan event at Mondello Park race track here in Ireland. I browsed through the album and got a sinking feeling as I looked at each photo. There was the car that I raced in Silverstone, and various other 370Z's, GT-R's and the Juke R at a race track that is literally 45 minutes from my original home. I heard nothing about this event and it sickens me to think that if I was even invited, just as a guest, that maybe I could have got talking to some people that would have been able to help me or point me in the right direction. But instead, my 'achievement' goes completely unnoticed and so slips another opportunity to get involved with the brand that was so kind to give me the chance of a lifetime a few months ago.

Guys, I wanted to come on here and ask you, should I feel hard done by? I want to make it clear I'm not expecting hand outs. But for all those Nissans and GT Academy cars to be in Ireland, pretty much at my doorstep, and not to hear about it or get any form of an invite - that makes me feel horrible.

Facebook Album - Nissan Conference

I find it pretty confusing that they wouldn't contact you about the Ireland event, even a bit bizarre I think?

Best bet I think Des is to do as some of the others have look out for scholarships and similar things, contact a few teams even in a race series you like, try to show them the outcomes of drivers like Lucas, and the potential you have.

I do hope for the best though with yourself and the others that have made it and not won it!!

You should never think that you are entitled to anything in Motorsport, but I want to ask you guys a question. Do you think I should feel hard done by? :

We've all heard of Nissan helping previous GT Academy contestants get their feet off the ground, the most notable being Thomas Arends, who through Nissan and Playstation NL managed to get a drive in Dutch GT with the help of Tim Coronel. Before I even went to Silverstone I contacted Nissan Ireland telling them my story and asked if they were interested in helping me or pushing my story. No reply.

I then went on to win the UK & Ireland section of GT Academy at Silverstone, placing me in the final 6 of Europe, which is something I'm especially proud of since there was around 183,000 in our region to begin with. I contacted them on facebook this time instead of email. "Thanks for sharing, Des".

So I thought whatever, it's not going to be easy, but it doesn't seem like Nissan Ireland want to help me which is a bit disheartening. I still went and contacted countless other people in the industry around Ireland. Most emails or messages didn't receive any acknowledgment and most that did told me that I would need tens of thousands to do any sort of a season. I accepted this and am now in the process or re-evaluating how I can get enough money together and find the right people to help me. I expect this to be a long road, but I am under no illusions. Nothing is guaranteed and it will be tough to get behind the wheel of a race car again.

Back to Nissan Ireland. On my news feed today I see that they had just held a Nissan event at Mondello Park race track here in Ireland. I browsed through the album and got a sinking feeling as I looked at each photo. There was the car that I raced in Silverstone, and various other 370Z's, GT-R's and the Juke R at a race track that is literally 45 minutes from my original home. I heard nothing about this event and it sickens me to think that if I was even invited, just as a guest, that maybe I could have got talking to some people that would have been able to help me or point me in the right direction. But instead, my 'achievement' goes completely unnoticed and so slips another opportunity to get involved with the brand that was so kind to give me the chance of a lifetime a few months ago.

Guys, I wanted to come on here and ask you, should I feel hard done by? I want to make it clear I'm not expecting hand outs. But for all those Nissans and GT Academy cars to be in Ireland, pretty much at my doorstep, and not to hear about it or get any form of an invite - that makes me feel horrible.

It would have been nice if they could have sent you some kind of correspondence about the event. Imean a homegrown competitor beat out 177,000 other contestants in GTAEU and though didnt win, is definently a beast behind the wheel.

I feel your pain but if NISSAN dont want your talent one of their competitors might, someday. Keep Striving Dessy 👍:)👍

@Tidgney

Wish it was that easy. Recently I've learned that the order of requirements is quite flawed. It's not as simple as, for example, if you love football, where you can practice at every given moment, play matches, play well and then get spotted which leads to bigger opportunities. The only expense is you boots and your time.

The order of the day in Motorsport is 1. Money, 2. Contacts and 3. Talent. You don't even need to be outstanding. There are plenty of below average drivers racing simply because they have the money. You can't really complain though, that's just how it is. It won't change because cars are expensive to buy, run and repair, as is a team of people to make it happen.

I feel your pain but if NISSAN dont want your talent one of their competitors might, someday. Keep Striving Dessy 👍:)👍

I don't hold anything against them, it's just a bit disheartening. I'm sure if the right person within Nissan Ireland heard about my story, maybe I would have been invited. It's probably just the PR person not doing their job properly, or the fact that having me there probably wouldn't benefit anyone.

It would be very nice to get help or advice elsewhere, but I genuinely love the Nissan brand and I love every one of their cars that I have driven, especially the 370 which in the distant future I hope to own. It's a company that I'd like to be a part of in some way and since they gave me the experience of a lifetime at GT Academy, I'm not giving up on them just yet. Then again, all one has to do is look at Sean Johnston's story, which actually has nothing to do with Nissan, so you may be right - time will tell.

@Tidgney

Wish it was that easy. Recently I've learned that the order of requirements is quite flawed. It's not as simple as, for example, if you love football, where you can practice at every given moment, play matches, play well and then get spotted which leads to bigger opportunities. The only expense is you boots and your time.

The order of the day in Motorsport is 1. Money, 2. Contacts and 3. Talent. You don't even need to be outstanding. There are plenty of below average drivers racing simply because they have the money. You can't really complain though, that's just how it is. It won't change because cars are expensive to buy, run and repair, as is a team of people to make it happen.

I know where your coming from mate (We all know how Maldonado got into F1 =D), but keep looking at the scholarships that are around, you never know what can happen!

I know where your coming from mate (We all know how Maldonado got into F1 =D), but keep looking at the scholarships that are around, you never know what can happen!

Will do man. And to reiterate, I'm not complaining about lack of opportunities - I know they exist and that you have to work damn hard to get them. Today I just felt hard done by to see Nissan Ireland have an event so close to my home and to hear nothing from them about it.

Made it guys...

3rd in classe
2nd in category
6th overall

The only N group racing against a bunch of quite prepared race cars!

Never done Hill climb, never been to this one and never driven the EVO...

EPIC !!!

Cheers

You gotta keep at it Des. I've heard stories of some current touring car drivers around here in New Zealand and Australia literally going to a race teams headquarters every single day to ask if they can sweep the floor for them just to get a foot in the door.

The very first year of GT Academy seemed like a one-off event but Lucas [Ordonez] decided to get in touch with Nissan about competing in a regular race series and here you guys are getting a crack at the competition every year now.

In Nissan Ireland's case you will probably need to have a bit more face-time with them and just be stubborn to the point where they will have to give you something that will benefit both your racing and Nissan Ireland.

Made it guys...

3rd in classe
2nd in category
6th overall

The only N group racing against a bunch of quite prepared race cars!

Never done Hill climb, never been to this one and never driven the EVO...

EPIC !!!

Cheers

Great job Hugo. Really enjoying the updates coming from your facebook and youtube pages 👍

There probably isn't a place for GT Academy memes, but I thought I'd start with this.

6QGw5.png

Anyone know when the gt academy tv is starting in the uk??

The latest I heard was in about a months time, but probably not until January.

If you'd like a preview of what to expect, all the Benelux episodes are online and I expect it's production to be quite similar to ours. You can watch highlights of final race with english commentary in the final episode - GT Academy Netherlands Episode 5.

Even though chunks of this are in French and Dutch it's still easy enough to figure out what's going on.

What do you reckon to this (It's just a sneaky suspicion I have) anyway. The new v8 Supercar from nissan was unveiled today to compete with ford and holden. My thoughts are that just putting 1 driver from down under in that series (From a GT Academy competition) would be pretty decent for all parties involved?

I know if I was Australian I'd dream of that V8 supercars is 2nd on my list of wanting to race in.

I know this is EU but I'd rather not create a completely new thread unless a mod deems it more relevant on that front (I've just gone with the general discussion for GT academy).

What do you reckon to this (It's just a sneaky suspicion I have) anyway. The new v8 Supercar from nissan was unveiled today to compete with ford and holden. My thoughts are that just putting 1 driver from down under in that series (From a GT Academy competition) would be pretty decent for all parties involved?

I know if I was Australian I'd dream of that V8 supercars is 2nd on my list of wanting to race in.

I know this is EU but I'd rather not create a completely new thread unless a mod deems it more relevant on that front (I've just gone with the general discussion for GT academy).

New Zealand and Australia were part of GT Academy EU back in 2010 so it's probably a good place to have the current discussion.

Re: Nissan entering V8 Supercars they are entering with an outfit called 'Kelly Racing' which ran the Shannon's Insurance Supercar Showdown competition from 2011-2012. Basically they take a group of individuals who already have an established status as up and coming race car drivers and pits them against each other for a one off drive in the Bathurst 1000.

I'm not a fan of it because it's not in the spirit of GT Academy (which gives someone a chance to become a professional who otherwise wouldn't be able to without Nissan and PlayStation's help). Likewise I have a sneaking suspicion that this was the series that forced GT Academy out of NZ/AU in the past two years but hopefully GT Academy makes a return in the near future.

If any New Zealanders and Australians are out there who want to start a petition to get GT Academy back to NZ/Au the best way would be to voice your opinion out to Nissan, PlayStation and Kelly Racing directly. I've been doing this on an on-and-off basis over the past two years and I'm sure if everyone who wants another crack at the thing demands "Bring the Nissan GT Academy back to New Zealand and Australia" then we may well get GT Academy back to our part of the world!

Here's the contact details of PlayStation, Nissan and Kelly Racing if anyone was up for it:

Kelly Racing
Website - www.kellyracing.com.au/2012/index.php/contacts-fds
Facebook - www.facebook.com/KellyRacingAus
Twitter - www.twitter.com/Kelly_Racing
Google Plus - www.plus.google.com/110082973193970534102/posts

Nissan
Website NZ - http://www.nissan.co.nz/insidenissan/contact/
Website AU - www.nissan.com.au/webpages/information/Contact_us_footer.html
Facebook NZ - www.facebook.com/NissanNZ
Facebook AU - www.facebook.com/nissanaustralia
Twitter NZ - www.twitter.com/NissanNZ
Twitter AU - http://twitter.com/nissan_aus

PlayStation/Sony Computer Entertainment
Facebook NZ - www.facebook.com/PlaystationNZ
Facebook AU - www.facebook.com/PlayStationAU
Twitter NZ - www.twitter.com/PlayStationEU
Twitter AU - www.twitter.com/PlayStationAU

I didn't think of it like that actually, I hope that wasn't the case I have a feeling Nissan / Playstation could gain alot more from getting a playstation gamer into a racing seat down under in a championship which to me is highly regarded. Well I say highly regarded... I rate it for sure ;) and I'm sure alot of people around the world do with it's racing!

I hope Aus/Nz get another one, I'll be honest next year I think they may just do a GT Academy World or something with nationals and maybe even continentals. But we will have to see I guess!

Well it looks like I have a new found motivation to go and carry on with my begging for GT Academy to come back to New Zealand and Australia.

It would be great if even those of you from Europe with a facebook and twitter account could do the same (since a lot of companies now use these social networking tools to measure interest and a whole lot of other things about their business).

GT Academy New Zealand and GT Academy Australia for 2013!

Hi Guys,

This weekend at Discovery Max Channel you can watch the GT Academy Iberia Show.

2 1 hour shows, Saturday and Sunday at 14:15 GMT.

Details in my facebook.

cheers guys.

Back