GT Academy 2012 (EU) General Discussion

• Thread starter Manuelos
  • 1,584 comments
Hi Guys,

This weekend at Discovery Max Channel you can watch the GT Academy Iberia Show.

2 1 hour shows, Saturday and Sunday at 14:15 GMT.

Details in my facebook.

cheers guys.

Thank you so much Hugo! I've watched the whole 2 shows.. I got goosebumps many times while watching it.

I'm happy to see that you've made your dream, a reality after GT Academy ;) I will try my best the next year! You were a big motivation and a great example of how we all should think in everything we want to make a reality.

If you still play Gran Turismo, I would love to meet you in-game some day mate.

Take care!

Thank you so much Hugo! I've watched the whole 2 shows.. I got goosebumps many times while watching it.

I'm happy to see that you've made your dream, a reality after GT Academy ;) I will try my best the next year! You were a big motivation and a great example of how we all should think in everything we want to make a reality.

If you still play Gran Turismo, I would love to meet you in-game some day mate.

Take care!

Thank you so much for your words gurdiell.

Yes I still play GT5, search for gtonlineracing . com that's my gt5 site and community.

Cheers mate and tks again for the support.

Weeew! GT Academy NZ/AU online petition is full steam ahead on my end.

Let's do this guys! If you're from New Zealand or Australia please get in touch with Nissan and PlayStation to bring the competition back to this part of the world.

Their contact details are below.

Nissan
Website NZ - http://www.nissan.co.nz/insidenissan/contact/
Website AU - www.nissan.com.au/webpages/information/Contact_us_footer.html
Facebook NZ - www.facebook.com/NissanNZ
Facebook AU - www.facebook.com/nissanaustralia
Twitter NZ - www.twitter.com/NissanNZ
Twitter AU - http://twitter.com/nissan_aus

PlayStation/Sony Computer Entertainment
Facebook NZ - www.facebook.com/PlaystationNZ
Facebook AU - www.facebook.com/PlayStationAU
Twitter NZ - www.twitter.com/PlayStationEU
Twitter AU - www.twitter.com/PlayStationAU

I'm hoping for the opposite... I bought a PS3 only for GT5 and I will be looking to get the next gen xbox as this is what I play on for the majority of my gaming time. I don't know if I could justify buying 2 next gen consoles when I'd only use one of them for GT Academy!

I'm hoping for the opposite... I bought a PS3 only for GT5 and I will be looking to get the next gen xbox as this is what I play on for the majority of my gaming time. I don't know if I could justify buying 2 next gen consoles when I'd only use one of them for GT Academy!

As a former national finalist yourself you could probably look at is as an investment if they do decide to release the new game and GT Academy on a next generation console. It might be worth it considering how much money gets spent on the event.

Financially I should probably stop being so loose with my money though! Could be a good time for me to learn how to get intimate with my PS3 and open up/service her myself to save myself some next-gen console $$$ :lol:

I'll be honest I've a funny feeling that we may have a similar story to the PS3, with a PS4 dedicated sort of 'demo' but who knows :)! I just hope they do run it again, as it's an awesome competition =)!

I'll be honest I've a funny feeling that we may have a similar story to the PS3, with a PS4 dedicated sort of 'demo' but who knows :)! I just hope they do run it again, as it's an awesome competition =)!

If they have it here in New Zealand Sony and Nissan have my vote too :P

We will probably find out soon about what is happening regarding GT Academy going by this post by amar212: Link

Cheers Saidur thanks for the heads up. As far as I'm aware Nissan Australia/New Zealand have had the competition thrown up in their boardrooms recently but realistically it's still too early to say if they will actually hold it in this part of the world or not.

I.M.O. there's two roadblocks to them actually bringing it back. PlayStation AU/NZ playing ball (shouldn't be too difficult since all they have to do is host the T.T. challenge and take care of a portion of duties in the national final) and money (this is the bigger roadblock - hosting an event like this isn't exactly the cheapest way to get your brands name out there...but it could be worse so it might be worth another shot this time around...they weren't too happy with how the international final turned out for them in 2010 but hopefully that doesn't put them off).

I wonder if any Sony/Nissan employees from around where I am read these forums. I posted my photo from the V8 Supercar weekend on Nissan Motorsport AU's facebook and they liked it. Based on what I wrote with the photo the conspiracy theorist in me is saying it will come back here for sure!

Regarding PS4, I personally can't see it on that unless GT Academy this year is much later in the year or you can only qualify at events. Even then I can't see it happening as I think it will limit participant numbers too much.
Cheers Saidur thanks for the heads up. As far as I'm aware Nissan Australia/New Zealand have had the competition thrown up in their boardrooms recently but realistically it's still too early to say if they will actually hold it in this part of the world or not.

I.M.O. there's two roadblocks to them actually bringing it back. PlayStation AU/NZ playing ball (shouldn't be too difficult since all they have to do is host the T.T. challenge and take care of a portion of duties in the national final) and money (this is the bigger roadblock - hosting an event like this isn't exactly the cheapest way to get your brands name out there...but it could be worse so it might be worth another shot this time around...they weren't too happy with how the international final turned out for them in 2010 but hopefully that doesn't put them off).

I wonder if any Sony/Nissan employees from around where I am read these forums. I posted my photo from the V8 Supercar weekend on Nissan Motorsport AU's facebook and they liked it. Based on what I wrote with the photo the conspiracy theorist in me is saying it will come back here for sure!
No problem Luis. Looks promising for you if Nissan Motorsport Australia liked your post.

Nissan are said to have "further geographical expansion plans underway" so I wonder if that means countries like Brazil and Japan potentially might get included. I do hope they still do include Europe (Especially UK within it ;)), can't take anything for granted given number of winners. However Craig Doyle seems to have already indicated that there will be one here so maybe us in UK and Ireland will be fortunate enough to have another one. Good luck getting one in New Zealand again 👍.

Here's some official info and speculation.

Race camps will be held in September and run for 5 weeks. The European camp will coincide with the 24 hours of Silverstone on 20 - 22 of September, i.e. TV cameras will be around to film the final race at end of the week.

And now for some of my own speculation. A new region will most likely be added and Germany will become part of the EU camp again. Race camps will probably be US, Russia, Europe, Middle East/SA and a new territory possibly Australasia and or South America. Maybe Russia will become part of the Middle East, I honestly don't know, but I do feel they will expand and include more countries.

I don't have any more than that I'm afraid but best of luck to all of you who are going for it this year!

Thanks Des for the info 👍. When you say 5 weeks, is that for all the race camps or just one that lasts that long? I am assuming the former.

Thanks Des for the info 👍. When you say 5 weeks, is that for all the race camps or just one that lasts that long? I am assuming the former.

5 weeks suggests 5 race camps, each a week long. There is a possibility however that there could still just be 4 and that the first few days could solely be for the GTA team and media guys to make sure everything is in place to run smoothly. It's a huge operation so I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case.

5 weeks suggests 5 race camps, each a week long. There is a possibility however that there could still just be 4 and that the first few days could solely be for the GTA team and media guys to make sure everything is in place to run smoothly. It's a huge operation so I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case.
If there are 4/5 race camps, then I wonder how they going to manage all them drivers that win. Will be quite short period of time if they're still doing the Dubai 24 hour race so I wonder if they got some other race / race series planned instead of Dubai. Nissan and Sony are on a roll.

Will be interesting to see if GT Academy will be a standalone download or if GT6 will be coming out within next two months. I am expecting a big media blowout soon so exciting times for people who are interested in GT

Have you made any inroads of realising your motorsport dream or is it still tough to get noticed regarding sponsorship if you don't mind me asking?

If there are 4/5 race camps, then I wonder how they going to manage all them drivers that win. Will be quite short period of time if they're still doing the Dubai 24 hour race so I wonder if they got some other race / race series planned instead of Dubai. Nissan and Sony are on a roll.

Will be interesting to see if GT Academy will be a standalone download or if GT6 will be coming out within next two months. I am expecting a big media blowout soon so exciting times for people who are interested in GT

Have you made any inroads of realising your motorsport dream or is it still tough to get noticed regarding sponsorship if you don't mind me asking?

I think they want to keep pushing the intensity of GT Academy, so maybe having only 3 months to get them ready for Dubai could be them 'upping the bar'. With that said, the whole Dubai thing may be getting a bit old at this stage, so they might try put them straight into a series this time. However, since it's one big PR stunt they will need to make an ending for the TV audiences so it's hard to guess what they will do this time.

As for the gaming this year, I think it will be a standalone download and feature Silverstone as well as challenges similar to what we saw last time. I feel it makes sense to demo their new DLC in such a way that millions can try it and even more sense to have some challenges taking place on the track when the finalists will eventually battle it out. I would not be one bit surprised if the final time trial is a full lap of Silverstone in a 370Z. All speculation, but the track has been scanned several times a long, long time ago. I think it's time.

Finally, as for my career. No sponsorship, no money, I'm trying to earn a living so it's very hard to try find thousands or euro to do a few races. I have spoken with a lot of high profile people in the industry, drivers and team owners too, and the underlying theme that comes from every conversation is that it is going to be very hard without serious backing. A lot of people have actually tried to discourage me from pursing it in the nicest way possible. We can all do a simple series and do well in a championship, but to make the step up you need a lot of backing. It doesn't matter how good you are. As one very successful Irish driver said to me, "The guy with the most money will almost always go the fastest". But to be fair, I'm just looking for an opportunity to test, and even to do that is crazy money. A Porsche Carrera test could cost 5-8k from what I'm lead to believe. It's ludicrous to try do it on your own without the help of the very wealthy.

I have managed to get a job working for a European LeMans Series team, Murphy Prototypes. The team is Irish owned so it's cool for me to be keeping with something from my country. I will mainly be working on their video, photography and media stuff - you can see some videos I've made for them here and check out their facebook too for photos, here.

It's going to be nice to travel a bit and learn what goes on behind the scenes. Maybe something will come out of it in the long run, but for now my aim is to do as good a job as I can for them and see if I can get more work in the industry thereafter.

I think they want to keep pushing the intensity of GT Academy, so maybe having only 3 months to get them ready for Dubai could be them 'upping the bar'. With that said, the whole Dubai thing may be getting a bit old at this stage, so they might try put them straight into a series this time. However, since it's one big PR stunt they will need to make an ending for the TV audiences so it's hard to guess what they will do this time.

As for the gaming this year, I think it will be a standalone download and feature Silverstone as well as challenges similar to what we saw last time. I feel it makes sense to demo their new DLC in such a way that millions can try it and even more sense to have some challenges taking place on the track when the finalists will eventually battle it out. I would not be one bit surprised if the final time trial is a full lap of Silverstone in a 370Z. All speculation, but the track has been scanned several times a long, long time ago. I think it's time.

Finally, as for my career. No sponsorship, no money, I'm trying to earn a living so it's very hard to try find thousands or euro to do a few races. I have spoken with a lot of high profile people in the industry, drivers and team owners too, and the underlying theme that comes from every conversation is that it is going to be very hard without serious backing. A lot of people have actually tried to discourage me from pursing it in the nicest way possible. We can all do a simple series and do well in a championship, but to make the step up you need a lot of backing. It doesn't matter how good you are. As one very successful Irish driver said to me, "The guy with the most money will almost always go the fastest". But to be fair, I'm just looking for an opportunity to test, and even to do that is crazy money. A Porsche Carrera test could cost 5-8k from what I'm lead to believe. It's ludicrous to try do it on your own without the help of the very wealthy.

I have managed to get a job working for a European LeMans Series team, Murphy Prototypes. The team is Irish owned so it's cool for me to be keeping with something from my country. I will mainly be working on their video, photography and media stuff - you can see some videos I've made for them here and check out their facebook too for photos, here.

It's going to be nice to travel a bit and learn what goes on behind the scenes. Maybe something will come out of it in the long run, but for now my aim is to do as good a job as I can for them and see if I can get more work in the industry thereafter.
It will run a risk regarding drivers getting licenses in time and fit enough but if they think it is possible then game on. I personally think they will try a series of some sort as they are getting quite full up with drivers now. Covering first race weekend of the gamers who turned Pro might be sufficient for PR for the TV episodes. Most of the coverage is normally on race camp anyway.

It would be good if they got more sophisticated physics, I wonder if they will still go with GT5sh physics for fourth year running or not. Silverstone seems like a good possibility, will be awesome to drive that track in GT finally.

I think best chance will be excelling at some low price car races you can find and trying to secure sponsors / tests that way (Like Hugo), but easier said than done. Experience gained can help in tests too. Good luck in saving enough to try and take it to the next step to get noticed. If you get that break you need to make it in motorsport, then you might make it like Sean Johnston has done.

Seems like a great job given your interests. Keep up the good work and good luck in progressing to become a professional race driver one day 👍.

Great news Dessy, if GT Academy goes to south america it will be huge. I can't believe something I've always watched from a distance will be something i can compete in it!

Crazy if true.

Hey GT-Aholics,

Does anybody know if there's a way to work out how many people have entered a time for GT Academy 2013? I'm trying to get an idea on whereabouts my time sits amongst everyone?

Back