GT Academy Finals Coverage!

• Thread starter grafpt
  • 390 comments
Day 2: Bear with me as this review of the Finals on Day 2 is completely from memory of the competition from a week ago.

Going into Day 2 with 16 points and knowing what to expect made the anxiety a little easier. Being hyper competitive I was still super anxious and nervous seeing as the trip to England was becoming a real possibility.

Round 3: Nissan GT-R V-Spec on Sport Hard Tires - Blindsidefive0 (Nick Fontana), Choate51 (Steve Driscoll), and CrymsonEcho (Ryan G?)

Race 1 – Trial Mountain Reverse – 5 laps?
Thankfully I knew TR Reverse from the old days of GT and was fairly confident in driving the V-Spec thanks to the race rooms hosted by Blindside, Forced, and Stig, and seeing as how Sony put the V-Spec on Sport Hards the car felt fantastic. I scored the pole by almost a second, again strictly due to track knowledge and luck. During the race I had a strong battle with CrymsonEcho into the first few corners of the track, he then out broke himself into the fast 180 degree right hander before the long back straight, knowing the track I knew I could brake early and take the lead, he recovered from his maneuver and drafted past me on the back straight (which I was thankful for) and over cooked the braking zone once again into the fast right hander between the two tunnels, which resulted in hitting the wall and putting him back to 4th (I think). Meanwhile Blindside and Choate had their own battle brewing and I drove off to a victory only focusing on maintaining the gap and not experiencing virtual death into some random rock wall.

Race 2 – Indy Road Course – 5 laps?
I qualified 3rd for this race due to having trouble adapting to the balance of the car, for some reason the physics didn’t feel right after hopping off of Trial Mountain. Regardless we were off to battle before I had time to analyze why I was off pace. I don’t remember much of this race except running anywhere from 2nd to 4th as the battle was always intense, there were some aggressive outbraking going into turn 1, but very clean driving in the infield section. I believe Choate won this race and I followed in 2nd place with Blindside taking 3rd.

The longest part of the 2 day competition came in between the races. You fought for your life for 12 – 15 minutes, then you had to wait for the other groups to run and the judges to review the replays and hand out penalties. It felt like days from the morning session of climbing in the rig to getting back in early afternoon. Truth be told, the judges did I good job from what I saw, with that being said I was never hit hard or taken out, nor did I have any contact so I sneaked all the way through the event without a penalty. Over lunch and waiting for Round 4 to start I kept getting congratulated by the other finalists for making it to Silverstone since I had 25 points, I wasn’t comfortable with that thought as I knew anything could happen, so I knew I had to keep racing clean and not make any mistakes to ensure my qualification for Europe. I still had a rock in my stomach.

Round 4: Nissan 370Z on Sport Hard Tires – Glenn_McGee (Glenn McGee), chiefdnd (Sorry Chief can’t remember your name now!), and Conman_Skills (Connor Clifford)

Race 1 – Cape Ring South – 5 laps
I think I qualified 3rd for this race too; behind Glenn McGee and Conman. We all had a great battle for 1st for the 1st couple of laps, all 4 of us were together, on the 3rd lap Chiefdnd got slightly loose on the exit of turn 1 and lost contact with the lead group, so it became a 3 way battle for the win. On the 4th lap going through the fast esses before turning back into the front straight I got my left rear into the dirt, I gained control but lost touch with Glenn and Conman, and of course Chiefdnd was right there to capitalize on my mistake. I led Chiefdnd on the last lap and overbroke into the last hairpin, Chiefdnd saw my poor entry and put a BTCC pass on me to take 3rd and the final point. Great racing and well executed pass Chiefdnd! I was bummed as this was my only 4th of the weekend and was nervous about getting zero points in the last round so I really wanted to have a strong finish in the last race. I heard Glenn and Conman congratulating each other on a super clean race that had a photo finish. Nice job guys!

Race 2 – Nurburgring GP/D – 4 laps
I can’t remember where I qualified for this race…but it didn’t matter because we were off and battling. Chiefdnd took control of this race and basically checked out, which left Conman, Glenn, and I battling for the remaining spots. Going into lap 2 or 3 Conman and I were battling for 2nd and he outbroke himself a little going into turn 1 which allowed me to sneak by and put a tiny gap on him, this gave Glenn the opportunity to attack Conman, and thankfully they battled for the balance of the race. I had a nice split time race with Chiefdnd but couldn’t make any real time up on him, he was on a mission. Chiefdnd took the win and I grabbed 2nd, but I’m not sure who grabbed 3rd. I always love racing at the Ring so this race was awesome fun!

Thankfully I scored 3 points and didn’t double goose egg all of round 4 so I was satisfied. This gave me 28 points and finally I felt pretty confident about heading over the pond.

I’m very excited about the next step in this crazy adventure and I would like to thank Sony, PD, and Nissan for everything they’ve done for us. I would also like to thank the league that has pushed the boundaries of Gran Turismo since Prologue and put 5 players into the finals of which 4 are going to Silverstone. Please check out http://tunerspit.com/forum/forum.php when you get the chance. I would also like to thank my friends the Tuna’s for all their support and for hosting the Tuna TT’s last year, that helped me become a better TT’er and make the top 8, these guys are fun and don’t mind if you drink and drive. http://www.supatunagt.com/smf/index.php#1 Thanks also to Blindside, Forced, and Stig for hosting the “Orlando” rooms and making us drive those Nissans on plastic tires, I truly believe that was a major part of my success in Orlando. Thanks also to Jordan and GT Planet for putting together such a great GT Community.

That is all I have for now, I’ve got to get back to work.

Cheers! :)

Round 1: Nissan 350Z (Sport Hard tires)

Race 1: Tsukuba, 5 laps – Qualified on pole and took the lead going into turn 1. Never looked back and cruised to victory. Can't remember the gap to 2nd place, but pretty sure it was at or below 2-seconds. 1st Place

Race 2: Deep Forest Reverse, 4 laps - Qualified on pole and was able to get to turn 1 with the lead. Had a car attempt a pass on the inside after the back stretch but he was unable to make the pass. On lap two I dipped the left rear tire in the grass on the double right-hander after the back stretch and nearly lost it. Going into this same section on lap 3 I did the same thing but actually spun out. At this time I had a 3.5+ second lead on the two cars behind me, but they went past when I spun. Fortunately I was able to get the car going quickly and caught back up to them on the last lap. Was able to get around second place, but could only get to the leader's bumper as we crossed the line. 2nd Place

Round 2: ’07 GT-R (Sport Hard tires)

Race 1: Madrid Reverse, 5 laps - Qualified on pole, but this race was to be my worst one. After the start I braked too late going into the first chicane and nosed the car into the wall. I lost about 4 seconds to the leaders, and although I was able to make up the time, it being a tight street course I couldn't get around anyone. This would be my first and only goose egg. 4th Place

Race 2: Grand Valley East Reverse, 4 laps - Qualified on pole again, and had a nice battle with someone for a lap or two. After they made a mistake going into the tunnel on lap 2 I was able to pull away and take the victory. 1st Place

Round 3: Nissan GT-R V-Spec (Sport Hard Tires)

Race 1: Trial Mountain Reverse, 5 laps - Qualified on pole and was passed by a couple cars at the start. Had a nice battle with Jose Cedeno for a couple laps and was finally able to clear him when he made a mistake in the Lake turn. Unfortunately the leader had clocked out and I could not make up more than half a second before the finish. 2nd Place

Race 2: Indy Road Course, 5 laps - Qualified on pole. Had a good battle going here as all four drivers were pretty close together. On lap two I was making the hard left after the back stretch after I checked the map to see that I was clear. Not sure what happened here but the yellow car came flying into the picture and bumped me off the track into the grass, dropping me to 4th place. I was able to make up a couple positions but was unable to catch the leader. (Jose Cedeno) That victory was key to him making the final 16, so congrats to him! 2nd Place

Round 4: Nissan 370Z (Sport Hard Tires)

Race 1: Cape Ring South, 5 laps - Qualified on pole (after spinning), took the lead from the start and never looked back. 2nd and 3rd place had a good battle going which allowed me to stretch my lead to over 6 seconds. 1st Place

Race 2: Nurburgring GP/D, 4 laps - 3_Wide (Christopher Roberts) qualified on pole here by 7 tenths and grabbed the lead from the start. I was able to hang on to him, but didn't force the issue with taking the lead. At this point I knew I was locked in for Silverstone and didn't want to ruin our races by attempting to take the lead and crashing us both out, so I just tagged along and finished right behind him. 2nd Place

So there you have it. I ended up with 30 points, same as Christopher Roberts although I'm not sure what the tie-breaker was for 2nd place. I keep going over in my head that mistake I made at Deep Forest that cost me an additional 3 points, but what's done is done. I got to meet some great people, had a fantastic time, and made it to Silverstone.

That's all that matters. :dopey:👍

I seriously think I have the best photo in Orlando yet....from:http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/711334/gt-academy-tournament-offers-gran-turismo-5-racers-the-chance-to-become-the-real-deal/
GT-Academy-Tournament-Offers-One-Racing-Game-Fan-the-Chance-to-Become-Real-Race-Car-Driver.jpg

Hey guys!
This is my first post here, and I have read a couple of threads and I am so glad to hear everyone's input on our Awesome trip to Orlando. It was seriously awesome to meet everyone! I really didn't get to know anyone until the last few weeks of round 3. Not many know me here, but I know the Hunk told me he was advocating for me in these threads due to our Forza experiences together! Thanks Hunk for the support, I wish I could have met you, I hope all is well. Thanks everyone in Orlando for supporting each other through this seriously nerve racking event. I cannot wait until Silverstone and I hope to race with you all sometime, but it won't be until at least one month from now. I left all of my Sim racing stuff at my house, because missing a week of college pushed all of my work into one short time period. So I am still behind and took a few zeros for homework grades haha!

A couple comments. Carl, probably one of the nicest and funniest people I have ever met. He comes out with somethings that catch you off guard and I laughed the hardest when he quoted 'Unforgivable' on youtube!

Nick Fontana, dude it was such an honor to have such great races with you and still come out as friends. P.S. If anyone wants a wing man to pick chicks up, Nick is that dude!

TXDriv3n, I am sorry you got DQ'ed at Indy for missing your brakes. I hold no grudge against you, I understand your situation.

Congrats Bryan

GO Conman! Represting Forza with me and maybe hooking his fridge up with some silver bullets!!

Andre, Bryan, Glenn, Spec, and other iRacers, I hope to see you all on iRacing in a month! I will be in the Miata's and Mustangs!

Everyone else, it was a plessure!

Thanks 3wide

Very interesting to read the race recaps you guys posted.

Anyone know what the rumbly device was in the cockpits? Buttkicker, or something else? It was the first time I've experienced something like that and I have to say it was pretty cool - not overdone like I would have expected.

Last edited:
Anyone know what the rumbly device was in the cockpits? Buttkicker, or something else? It was the first time I've experienced something like that and I have to say it was pretty cool - not overdone like I would have expected.

One hell of a write up, I'll read it tomorrow. :lol:

But yes, I would like to know what that thing was too. Gave a nice feel to the whole experience.

Cuda, that was me that totally missed a braking marker at Cape Ring South. I can believe you didn't hear me say "LOOK OUT!" as I knew I missed it. The 3 wide pass at the Ring was great, being in the middle was not the place to be so I just braked a little earlier in hope that the other two would make a mistake. They didn't so 4th it was. Didn't really matter at that point, my 2nd place at Cape secured my spot so I didn't want to do something stupid and get a point knocked off for something. It was a great race man!

Cuda, that was me in round 1! I was the guy who overcorrected at tsukuba then held you off for most of the race at deep forest reverse. Being right behind you and having your car block my view, I thought i was further through the corner than I was and got on the throttle too early and pushed right off the track... DOH! Nearly sunk the ship that first round but am glad I was able to put some good rounds together for the rest of the competition. Great write up though man!

Didn't want to start a new thread, but here is a pretty cool video Nissan/Sony put together of the Finals.

Cool video. I'd still love to watch some of the tough battles from the competition to see how the pro's make passes when stakes are high.

how we make passes when we have 1 lap to learn the track and the steering is set to standard so it doesn't even respond to your inputs like it should?

forget about passing, we were pros for making it around the track :P

how we make passes when we have 1 lap to learn the track and the steering is set to standard so it doesn't even respond to your inputs like it should?

forget about passing, we were pros for making it around the track :P

that why everyone was sawing at the wheel so much in that video?

Yea, you couldn't counter steer normally. I never got used to it.

The dfgt is like that, that's why people complain about it for drifting. It doesn't center itself as quick as a real life car, especially with low force feedback.

On a separate note, are y'all :censored:er's ever gettin back online? ;)

It wasn't the wheel, it was the setting it was on. There is standard and simulation. Standard is for controllers and there is a delay on inputs. I bought the DFGT and it drove fine. They are going to change it for next year. They didn't this time because it was the default setting and they didn't know you had to change it for wheels.

Oh gotcha I thought you just meant they left it at the standard FFB setting of 5. That must have been....interesting...Regardless the DFGT never centers as fast as a real car but is fun nonetheless 👍

Latest Posts

Back