GT Academy Finals Coverage!

• Thread starter grafpt
  • 390 comments
For some reason this was a lol moment

5614894138_95b4bd45bd.jpg

Yeah that was the first night walking in to the ESPN place for the first time.

And as for the DFGt's , the ones we had there, at least on the left side were all way way past there useful life. On everyone I used there was a huge amount of play in the wheel and it be tilted lots in all driections as if it was about to come out of the base. The bearings were completely shot, maybe even non existent. Because of this they were insanely difficult to use. It was kinda like steering on Mario kart with a wii accelerometer type controller. On the second day they seemed to have replaced them, at least on the left side, and the new ones felt normal to me. Also the TV's had a fair amount of lag which can also make things feel weird.

Yeah that was the first night walking in to the ESPN place for the first time.

And as for the DFGt's , the ones we had there, at least on the left side were all way way past there useful life. On everyone I used there was a huge amount of play in the wheel and it be tilted lots in all driections as if it was about to come out of the base. The bearings were completely shot, maybe even non existent. Because of this they were insanely difficult to use. It was kinda like steering on Mario kart with a wii accelerometer type controller. On the second day they seemed to have replaced them, at least on the left side, and the new ones felt normal to me. Also the TV's had a fair amount of lag which can also make things feel weird.

...and I couldn't hear 🤬

I agree with you both. The rumble in the seats were cool, but with all of them going, you could barely hear your own gears.
z06fun- When I was with the sony people, I found out that they ran everything default. So the wheels had default FFB, which I think anyone with a DFGT can admit is terrible. And with the dead-zone issue it has, that did not help either.

I agree with you both. The rumble in the seats were cool, but with all of them going, you could barely hear your own gears.
z06fun- When I was with the sony people, I found out that they ran everything default. So the wheels had default FFB, which I think anyone with a DFGT can admit is terrible. And with the dead-zone issue it has, that did not help either.

See with the buttkicker, you had to adjust what you used for an indicator of grip. I used the vibration coming from the pedal & seat instead of the "volume".

See with the buttkicker, you had to adjust what you used for an indicator of grip. I used the vibration coming from the pedal & seat instead of the "volume".

Very true. That thing sure did rumble lol

I kind of dug the butt kicker once I had two seconds to figure out why my ass was shaking. The first few races I thought it was just nerves LOL!

I could see the Butt Kicker being awesome If you had your "comfortable home setup" and of course a nice set of headphones. I really missed my precious Turtle Beach headphones.

Cool video. I'd still love to watch some of the tough battles from the competition to see how the pro's make passes when stakes are high.

You know I was thinking about this today. How cool would it be for the race replay files to be posted somewhere for us to download? I'd love to re-live some of my races, and watch how the other races went down. We need to figure out who to contact to make this happen! I wonder if the replay files are even still saved and if so where they might be (spread out over multiple PS3s that may have been split up to new locations... who knows).

Edit - although I guess nobody would know who was who, aside from the participants who recognized how their own race went. Still, I'd love to see this.

It wasn't the wheel, it was the setting it was on. There is standard and simulation. Standard is for controllers and there is a delay on inputs.

If you look at your wheel settings screen when you have the "steering type" selected the highlighted wheels are the old GT wheels (with blue grips), and the DFP/DFGT are greyed out. To me this says that the "Standard," "Professional," and "Simulation" settings only affect those older wheels. The DFP/DFGT wheels don't get highlighted in that options screen until you get to Power Steering and Force Feedback Strength, so in a logical world those would be the only two settings that would have any affect on the DFGT.

I got the impression the weird steering was a result of display lag from the TV. The wheels I used felt fine, but I could definitely tell there was a delay when I had to correct a slide.

I assumed it was on standard because it felt exactly like my G25 did when I made a new GT5 account and the sim/std setting reset to default.

I drove one lap and thought "something is wrong" went back and changed it to sim. In FL, it felt exactly the same, just couldn't change it :) My DFGT was on the right setting here at home. I had changed it to sim while I was using my G25 then just plugged in the DFGT though.

You know I was thinking about this today. How cool would it be for the race replay files to be posted somewhere for us to download? I'd love to re-live some of my races, and watch how the other races went down. We need to figure out who to contact to make this happen! I wonder if the replay files are even still saved and if so where they might be (spread out over multiple PS3s that may have been split up to new locations... who knows).

I asked in Orlando if we could get our hands on the replays and was told that only the show and the website would have access to them.

I asked in Orlando if we could get our hands on the replays and was told that only the show and the website would have access to them.

that's as weak as not allowing spectators... they could learn a lot from quakecon when it comes to having a successful high profile tourney.

that's as weak as not allowing spectators... they could learn a lot from quakecon when it comes to having a successful high profile tourney.
Not quite, allowing spectators would be like having your opponents mom shouting in your ear while driving 100mph down the the race track. I'm sure the drivers had enough distractions with photographers walking in front of them. Adding a cheering crowd would have totally changed the atmosphere.

...but not publishing the races is lame. I would've watched them live if i could. I would've downloaded the replays and loaded them up as ghosts if I could so I could follow the fastest car around the track.

I think it was the right decision to hold the races in private, for sure. But now that they're done and in the books, I would like to see the replays made available at least to the competitors, if not the general public.

Not quite, allowing spectators would be like having your opponents mom shouting in your ear while driving 100mph down the the race track. I'm sure the drivers had enough distractions with photographers walking in front of them. Adding a cheering crowd would have totally changed the atmosphere.

...but not publishing the races is lame. I would've watched them live if i could. I would've downloaded the replays and loaded them up as ghosts if I could so I could follow the fastest car around the track.

Actually as soon as you started driving most of the distractions were removed for me at least. There was only 1 distraction and that was when a camera guy tripped in my line of sight just as I was going into turn 1 in round 2. Other than that the distractions were not noticeable. If you weren't concentrating 100% on the task at hand you made mistakes.

I think having a cheering section would have been fun, at least if we could of brought our wives.

every other professional game tournament from the first quakecon to CPL events have catered to spectators. I was honestly shocked when I heard it was a closed event, and I'm 100% sure it was because of the unnecessary reality show.

every other professional game tournament from the first quakecon to CPL events have catered to spectators. I was honestly shocked when I heard it was a closed event, and I'm 100% sure it was because of the unnecessary reality show.

Bingo. But what would a high-profile USA event be without a reality show to go with it? :crazy:

Hello to all you guys!

Excuse me guys...some of you could tell me with which car have competed at the the national final???

Which with tires you have competed?

Thanks in anticipation guys 👍

We head out in the end of May and stay until early June. I think the schedule is backed up a bit due to round 2 mishaps or someone writing the fine print jumped the gun a bit.

We're still waiting for the final details from Sony and Nissan.

Hello to all you guys!

Excuse me guys...some of you could tell me with which car have competed at the the national final???

Which with tires you have competed?

Welcome Minolta,
we used mostly the 370 with sports hards (i believe )
and the GTR w/ sports hards. No gt500s or tunedz

Thanks MCgee....

Excuse me.. the Nissan GT-R SpecV (GT Academy Version) '09 or Nissan GT-R '07??? The 370 is the Nissan 370Z Tuned Car '08??? 💡

Excuse me R1600 but i'm an italian guy and don't understand well english and is difficult for me translate well... :guilty:

What does it mean "the stock"? :dunce:

I use for try the GT-R '07 and GT-R SpecV (not GT academy version, true?)

In the list of cars there is only a Nissan 370Z but is "Tuned Car"....

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Gran-Turismo/Gran-Turismo-5-Full-Car-List/td-p/11838679

I do not know if that car (370Z Tuned Car) is not good...

Excuse me yet if I ask you the same thing but i don't understand well...

Back