GT Cruise Community Survey

• Thread starter Ameer67
  • 50 comments

Ameer67

Premium
United States
Chicago
Hello to all Gran Turismo cruisers out there. What I am interested in is your opinion on the cruising community and how it stands today. Seeing how there's a wide variety of different cruising niches, I would like to get some general information from those here on GTPlanet. This survey is ONLY meant for those who are common cruisers, not those who just race in GT. If you're interested, just click on the photo below and you will be redirected to the survey.

2015 Survey:
Autumn Ring.jpg

2016 Survey:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1432l23EMOIf7ajFrdtSjxk0aloFPkFpIoTl0uuW-qjw/viewform?usp=send_form

Thanks,
Ameer

Last edited:
@Ameer67, I hope you don't mind me asking, but what exactly IS a cruising community? I watched one of your videos recently. I watched you guys drive around La Sierra single file. I think you may have stopped at some of the rest stop areas on the course. Is that pretty much it? A group of friendly GT6'ers who like to follow each other at reasonable speeds? Do you guys ever step on it? I skipped around your video so I didn't catch anyone passing each other. Is that frowned upon? If you wouldn't mind, could you just give me the low-down on what exactly goes on in the cruising community... It might be something I would be interested in doing from time to time.

@ALB123 There are various types of cruising, some have strict speed limits and some permit speed ups here and there.

The whole point of cruising is to enjoy the cars in a more normal way, life if you were driving it outside a race track.

Some people don't get the appeal of it. Some people enjoy driving more than racing.

Thing I hate the most is when you have a decent cruise going, but then you hit a straightaway and everyone floors it.

No, they didn't slow down. They kept going everytime.

I've been in a few cruise rooms where we would 'keep the pace' (set by the leader) as we ran around the Nordschleife, but as soon as we left Galgenkopf and were set up for Dottinger it would be a free for all till we got to the finish line - didn't matter if one was running a Beetle or a BTR, then we'd do it all over again.
Cruising around tracks, though, can get tiresome after awhile, and even if one were to change tracks often the cruising gets boring. The only thing that offsets that is the great variety of cars to be admired (or shown off.)

I have to admit that when I want to cruise to my heart's content, I slip in TDU2. A bit of adjustment to the physics, a little suspension of disbelief, and I have great cars, and miles of countryside to cruise through.
Until Gran Turismo comes up with some sort of 'free-roam' or at least Course Maker, cruising the same old tracks gets old quick.
If I were to take a poll on most popular tracks used for cruising I would hazard a guess that the Ring, and Sierra would make the top of the list and that would be because of the extended variability of the course and the non-racetracklike environments.

Some people don't get the appeal of it. Some people enjoy driving more than racing.

There is definitely some truth to that. Maybe even a lot. :) 👍

Done.

On the subject of cruising, I really don't like entering a lobby that's unrestricted, especially US lobbies. Because most of the people there will act like hooligans wherein they bump you and they just take off. They just don't care. Though I'd like lobbies that disable driving aids such as ASM and SRF, a PP limit would suffice so that said hooligans wouldn't use X1s and 2Xs and just ruin the whole lobby.

EDIT:

Been using a fully-upgraded Ford Mustang Boss 302 lately for cruises, liking it so far. It has around 650PP with a flat floor, and I'd love to know of any car that is about the same league.

As far as "cruise lobbies" go, it's pretty poor @Ameer67

Everybody on RS tires because "best tires most grip bro!!"...

Then of course it turns into a free for all race-off, people bouncing off walls etc.

Oh and then the Redbulls arrive...

A genuine, good cruise lobby is hard to come by unless you know people like yourself.

As far as "cruise lobbies" go it's pretty poor @Ameer67

Everybody on RS tires because "best tires most grip bro!!"...

Then of course it turns into a free for all race-off, people bouncing off walls etc.

A genuine, good cruise lobby is hard to come by unless you know people like yourself.

Just set room to CS or SH and you mostly fix 1/2 of the problem.

Just set room to CS or SH and you mostly fix 1/2 of the problem.

Well yeah that would help a little but it wouldn't stop people driving like idiots.

Then you get a bunch of kids complaining about "ERMAGERD THESE TIRES HAVE NO GRIP" and "pls all tires" etc.

I've never actually hosted a cruise lobby on GT6, as far as I know.

The community is too diluted by people who treat the game as just any other racing game, "casuals" you might say, when really it shouldn't be looked at that way.

If you want casual fun and you don't care about other people on the track go find another game to mess around in.

Done it.

I used to really cruise a lot back in days of GT5 and sometimes I do it much more than racing online. Cruising and shuffle racing were the most fun I had on GT5.

Things has changed with GT6 however when I stopped playing GT6 online for couple months last year and that shuffle has been removed.

Hopefully after I finish exam's on next week, I might start joining more cruising lobby's including yours (I hope I didn't anger you about that).

On the subject of cruising, I really don't like entering a lobby that's unrestricted, especially US lobbies. Because most of the people there will act like hooligans wherein they bump you and they just take off. They just don't care. Though I'd like lobbies that disable driving aids such as ASM and SRF, a PP limit would suffice so that said hooligans wouldn't use X1s and 2Xs and just ruin the whole lobby.
Club lobbies - best way to filter out all the fools.

The community is too diluted by people who treat the game as just any other racing game, "casuals" you might say, when really it shouldn't be looked at that way.
This is unfortunately too true. Some of those casuals think, "Oh it's just a game, who the hell cares?" Well, not everybody is as laid back as they are and that's where the problems begin. You have two groups of people (those looking for an actual cruise and those looking forward to messing around) colliding in the same room. The results aren't fantastic.

(I hope I didn't anger you about that).
I think you and @Beav got things cleared up, correct?

If I were to take a poll on most popular tracks used for cruising I would hazard a guess that the Ring, and Sierra would make the top of the list and that would be because of the extended variability of the course and the non-racetracklike environments.

In our club personally, the most used track would probably be Tokyo. It's not a bad track for cops AND cruising to be honest with you.

In our club personally, the most used track would probably be Tokyo. It's not a bad track for cops AND cruising to be honest with you.

I love to cruise Tokyo myself, as well as many of the other street courses, and no doubt Clubs have their favourite runs. As to what courses are factually the most popular overall for cruising, however, is only something we can be sure of if looked at statistically, with either a poll or wholesale monitoring of the Cruise lobbies. Most of the Cruise Rooms I have dropped into (public rooms not exclusive clubs) eventually run the Ring.
I must agree with you that cruising streets, of course, can be a lot more fun than, say, cruising Laguna Seca or Ascari.

I think you and @Beav got things cleared up, correct?

Yep, since couple months ago.

EDIT: @Ameer67 i forgot to say that i didn't meant that when i said "(I hope I didn't anger you about that)." but anyways.

I find it a bit hard to find some open cruise lobby on Tokyo or SSR5, mostly i find ether Sierra or London cruising room's.

Last edited:
Yep, since couple months ago.

EDIT: @Ameer67 i forgot to say that i didn't meant that when i said "(I hope I didn't anger you about that)." but anyways.

I find it a bit hard to find some open cruise lobby on Tokyo or SSR5, mostly i find ether Sierra or London cruising room's.
Sierra is just a big hell hole for everyone to fall in if the lobby isn't maintained well.

Filled out the survey, not sure my opinion counts...I rarely join cruise lobbies anymore, as they leave me disappointed 99% of the time.

I'll be the first to admit, I probably go in with unrealistic expectations...but it is what it is :lol:

I think the cruising community in GT6 suffers from two major issues.

1. The general GT6 community doesn't fully understand cruise rooms, and mistakenly thinks they are the same thing as a free run lobby. In fact (actually just my opinion lol), cruising is quite the opposite of free run. Free run is just that, do what the hell you want. To me, cruising is about creating as immersive of an experience as possible, which given the platform that GT6 is, often involves using many unwritten/unspoken rules in order to make things as realistic as possible.

2. Notice how I just gave my opinion of what cruising is. I think we all have our own personal twist on it, and it's tough to get everyone on the same page without some sort of "official rule book", as lame as that sounds.

The way I look at it, cruising is a form of roll playing within the game. I think some people have the RPG mindset, while others just don't.

I have one friend who, since we were kids, just could never get his head around the idea of using self-restraint and imagination within a video game in order to do some roll playing.

We used to play GTA3, VC, and SA a ton. Sometimes I would just enjoy doing pedestrian things, as opposed to always putting in the max ammo code and going to town on the population :lol: He'd say things like

"Why are you driving so slow?"

"Because I feel like it..."

"But it's so boring. How can you go slow when you can go as fast as you want?"

"This is as fast as I want..."

"You're weird"

People not using restraint is usually what ruins cruise rooms for me. That, and doing stuff that just doesn't make sense.

Eg. A group of 10+ cars, on RS tires, doing 60mph, driving within inches of one another, and using the whole track (ie using both lanes....which actually does make sense on some cruise tracks, but not so much on others)

Damn I sound like a grump old man :lol:

I haven't ventured into a random "cruise" room since last year actually. Maybe I'll try to find one tomorrow and see what happens. Wish me luck.

Back