GT Endurance league

• Thread starter wobbleguts
  • 22 comments
Australia
Australia
Hi,

Graduated to the GT Endurance league.

Racing in the GR1 Prototype Series Race 1.

Racing a jag XJR-9 '88. Not sure if this is the right car as it seems to be unable to keep up. Used it before and while it was no where near perfect I got the wins. Any suggestions for a replacement?

What tyres and tyre strategy should I use? Never been in a race this long before. I was going to skip the endurance league altogether because of the length of the races but semi virus lockdown means I can try.

The race summary screen (before you start racing) says 2X fuel consumption/ 5X tyre wear. What does that mean? 2X and 5X what? I assumed these options would simply be 'on' or 'off'. Tried changing the tyres to a different compound to see if that changed anything but it doesn't. Don't understand what 2X and 5X represent.

Have whizzed around the first few laps and practiced pit stopping but my times are terrible. Any tips would be appreciated.

Recommended using VGT cars (Mazda, Alpine, Dodge, etc).

LMP1 (Toyota TS050, Porsche 919, Audi R18) is good but you cant upgrade them. Not as effective as the VGT.

Avoid using Group C (787B, XJR9, 962, C9) as the only benefit are the straight line speed. It sucks at cornering, accelerating, and tire/fuel management.

2X means tire/fuel will depletes 2 times the normal, same for any other numbers.

For the Endurance League Gr.1 Prototype Series I have won every race easily with the Toyota TS050 Hybrid 2016. Use RM tyres and Fuel Mix 2 the entire way, with minor fuel saving at certain events, and you should have no issues.

The Nissan R92C and Peugeot 908 HDi FAP are very quick in the Saint Croix race but you will require an additional pitstop.

I've used all the Group C cars to win all Group C races. The fastest I've found, is the Sauber C9. The Jaguar is good as well.

If you have enough Mileage Points, maybe upgrading the car of your choice may help a bit. However, it may not take long to figure out the best strategy for you, to finish P1.

For Gr.1 races I did everything with either the McLaren VGT or the Audi R18.

The McLaren is best for high speed runs. The Audi R18 for any cornering track... however everyone here says that ANY of the modern LMP-H cars will do in a pinch... the Porsche 919 and TS050 are favourites.

The biggest takeaways I have on the GT1 and just about all the endurances is...

drive conservatively, save tyres save fuel, dont redline

pit strategy is everything because the AI's pit strategy is terrible

try not to worry too much about early stage, many races require you to catch the pack and once racing in slipstream you maintian time

dont engage in meaningless postition battles, you will most likely pass many in the pits

as is the way with PD, sometimes its better to hang about in 2nd position behind the leader so as not to engage 'rocket rabbit mode' - hold your positiion until you pass cleanly and then pull away and then do qualifying laps

master the Fuel Map system

on LMP-H cars try to drive them like the Pro's - engage in trail braking and other brake energy conservation methods to boost your battery

Thanks for all the advice.

I have bought the Mclaren and Audi for this series which is good, because I was near the 20 mil limit of earnings and wasn't sure what to invest in. Upgraded the Mclaren and plan on racing with RM tyres/TC3.

On a race this long, how many pit stops should I expect/aim for?

I still don't understand where 2X fuel consumption/ 5X tyre wear comes from. I mean obviously it means 2X and 5X from normal but why? Is the track incredibly rough and has lots of hills? Or are these just arbitrary values put in to make the race more interesting? Quite happy either way and assuming it's the latter.

Will let you know how the endurance race goes. Stay safe everyone

Or are these just arbitrary values put in to make the race more interesting?
Mainly that.

Consider that an LMP1 car can run for three hours on a set of tyres and 45 minutes on a tank of fuel (and in GT Sport the fuel tank is 50% larger) in the real world. There'd be no need to stop in most of the races if fuel consumption and tyre wear were at normal levels. So the game makes them go down faster, to bring pit stop strategy into play.

Mainly that.

Consider that an LMP1 car can run for three hours on a set of tyres and 45 minutes on a tank of fuel (and in GT Sport the fuel tank is 50% larger) in the real world. There'd be no need to stop in most of the races if fuel consumption and tyre wear were at normal levels. So the game makes them go down faster, to bring pit stop strategy into play.

Thanks for confirming

I've used all the Group C cars to win all Group C races. The fastest I've found, is the Sauber C9. The Jaguar is good as well.

If you have enough Mileage Points, maybe upgrading the car of your choice may help a bit. However, it may not take long to figure out the best strategy for you, to finish P1.

That Sauber C9 is probably the best car in the game, what a beast!!!

You got very professional answers here as usual, but truth is, you can win gr 1 endurance race with every car and without worrying about pit strategy or Tyre wear (using only M and ME obviously), exactly what I did :P

I have used the Porsche LMP for three races now and have no problem winning. Using RM tyres at every pit stop and filling the tank full except for the last pit stop.

it's a Google translation, I hope you understand ...
for all endurance races, Gr 1, Gr 3, Porsche Cup and Red Bull, I have only one method, it is to use soft tires and a stop every 6 laps .... putting only for 7 laps of fuel (I happened to forget to return) ..... no need to drag excess weight ....
do not try to go too quickly the first 2 relays, avoid contact and then, often the road is clear and you can go on the attack ....... I have "perfect race" every time. .... or almost .... (sometimes I deconcentrate and I hit a wall or a competitor .... at my age, 70, it's concentration my biggest opponent .... lol) .. ..
and of course I change my car at each race .... too easy to always take the one that goes well ....... and I won with all ......

it's a Google translation, I hope you understand ...
for all endurance races, Gr 1, Gr 3, Porsche Cup and Red Bull, I have only one method, it is to use soft tires and a stop every 6 laps .... putting only for 7 laps of fuel (I happened to forget to return) ..... no need to drag excess weight ....
do not try to go too quickly the first 2 relays, avoid contact and then, often the road is clear and you can go on the attack ....... I have "perfect race" every time. .... or almost .... (sometimes I deconcentrate and I hit a wall or a competitor .... at my age, 70, it's concentration my biggest opponent .... lol) .. ..
and of course I change my car at each race .... too easy to always take the one that goes well ....... and I won with all ......

Hi samsaoule,

Thanks for your advice. I have not any success in the first endurance race. I get to lap 10 and start losing time and places and give up. It could be that the other cars have pitted and got new tyres etc - that didn't occur to me because I don't see any pit stop information in the game - do you see that if other cars have have gone to the pits?.

My strategy so far has been to race until the tyre wear or fuel is becoming a problem. This strategy is not working. I don't get anywhere near that level before the other cars catch up and pass me. I will have another go in the Mclaren now (tried the Sauber but the same thing happened). If it doesn't work will try your suggestion.

I hope the google translation is working. Great to hear from a 70 year old enjoying GTS. It proves all age groups can play - not just spotty teenagers.

You got very professional answers here as usual, but truth is, you can win gr 1 endurance race with every car and without worrying about pit strategy or Tyre wear (using only M and ME obviously), exactly what I did :P
I think my problem is the pit strategy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also specify that I leave with a lot of power .....
even to drive in economy 2, 3 or 4 but to have in level 1, what quickly double a recalcitrant competitor ..... and have what to do a few quick laps when the track is clear ...... to catch up with the leaders or widen the gap if I'm already in the lead ....
I prefer to have soft tires and be fast on the track rather than hard tires and save fuel ......

I could verify that there is not much time to gain in the pits compared to the time that I gain on the track ......
the first being often in hard tires and only refuel every 10 laps .... their worn tires penalize them a lot at the end of the stint and I go up very quickly on them.
from the third relay, I often ride alone ..... to make "perfect race", you just have to pay attention to the latecomers who laugh at the blue flags and the pit exits because often the tires are cold and can surprise you ......
be careful also to return to the track, I have already crashed into another car and farewell to the "perfect race" ....
towards the end of the race, I manage the gap and the tires by driving in economy 3 or 4 except in the straight lines where I am in level 1 ....

and hop 600,000 or more in the piggy bank ...... .lol

My strategy so far has been to race until the tyre wear or fuel is becoming a problem. This strategy is not working. I don't get anywhere near that level before the other cars catch up and pass me. I will have another go in the Mclaren now (tried the Sauber but the same thing happened). If it doesn't work will try your suggestion.

I think my problem is the pit strategy.

I used exactly your "strategy" , pitting only when the tank was empty and running on soft (in a couple of circuit I had to use medium for Tyre wear), but still I was able to win it all with a mediocre Audi 2011. If you don t do more then a couple of mistake you should still be able to catch the leader near the last 10-15 minutes of the race. The only exception is Le mans where you need power, I used the Mazda and had great time with it, passing literally everybody on the straight :dopey:

Edit: hats off to samsoule, that s great!

My strategy was medium racing tyres, drive until they start really degrading (or fuel starts running out) before pitting - because pitting costs time and you want to be on the track for as long as possible.
This strategy didn't work. I would get to about lap 10 (doing v well) when my times would suddenly start dropping and other cars would catch up and pass, v annoying. There was some red on the tyre wear display but it seems a small amount of red means a lot - like 3+ seconds.
samsaoule has suggested a completely different tactic - ie, use soft tyres, race hard and pit often.
Wasn't able to test this yesterday, will do so soon and let you know what happens.
Thanks again to samsaoule and everyone else who has contributed to this thread.

I think people havent stated a basic immutable fact. Is your race pace markedly better than the AI?

If your race pace is the same then you're betting everything on pit strategy which obviously doesnt work well.

I say this because in some instances, the AI race pace is very very good (relatively speaking - there will always be aliens among us)...

I'm good at Spa. I'm ok with the dreaded x2019.

However my race pace on RH tyres isnt that good on Spa given the extent on the AI at the release of the patch.

My pace is better on RS tyres but the cost will be that any bad driving with tear the tyres. And yet on some tracks, RS tyres will do fine as long as you dont over stress them.

So for me 90% of the time RH + drive until the tank is dry, then pit, get in 1st then use FM1-6 to run econ mode... this will do it.

However if its single make race and if the opposition do RS tyres then you need to run a better strategy.

Remember according to PD, the Endurance league is the pinnacle of the league racing so it will be challenging for many.

Some people here already run odd strategies like RH tyres play with fuel management the whole race and limit pitstops.

If you're pitting once and everyone is doing it lots then you will win but I'm not that good at FM econ races.

The samsaoule strategy works! Raced a McLaren VGT around the german GP circuit and won first time. Thankyou samsaoule.

Racing soft tyres, pit every 6 laps and keep fuel about 1/2 full. Worked a treat - despite getting involved with slower car battles I should have avoided. Best time was 1:46:434

Last edited:
DISASTER! When i won I watched the replay with a glass of wine and gloated. Should have checked the internet connection because the next day there was no record of my win. Australian broadband is a joke. I would like to punch Tony Adams in the face.

So I tried racing again (twice) and on each occasion was doing really well until the pit stops. I would race in but there was no option to change tyres. Above the pit crew there was a 'change tyres' option but it didn't do anything.

Tried again today and the same thing happened. So I practiced pitting and found if you go in slow you get the tyre option. But what is the limit?

Anyways - glad to get the first race done at last.

stay safe

My general approach to endurance races seems to be very much out of sync with everybody else! I always use hard tyres and run for as long as they hold up, adjusting the fuel consumption if necessary.

Invariably the AI cars pit more often than I do, and I often finish a minute or more ahead of second place.

It might be an odd approach, but it seems to work for me...

I put on RS for endurance and adjust my fuel fill to match tire wear and run fast laps while pitting often, it has served me very well thus far, I think I'm leading by the halfway point or earlier. Just need to be careful around traffic to not lose CRB but running fast helps keep me away from traffic for extended periods. It seems the closer you follow AI cars the more they brake at early corner exit, right about the time you pick up the accelerator.

Hi,

Raced the second Endurance race -le Manns. Tried on soft tyres but it didn't work very well. Tried again and switched to MR on the 1st pit stop and paid attention to the fuel mix. Won with ease.

It is a long race, but I enjoyed it. You get to know every bend and so can concentrate on the overall race strategy. I enjoyed it so much I didn't sit back and watch the replay, I played it again. I was doing really well until the cat jumped on my lap and knocked the the controller on the floor.

Next race is monza. Any tips?

Back