GT Interviews Thread

I posted this in the front, but in case people don't see it:

Translation/Transcription Requests
If you know any of the following languages, please help by providing translation and transcription work.

JAPANESE:

TGS 2006 Presentation by Kazunori Yamauchi

We know what is on the board of the presentation, but what is being discussed? Nuances, etc. If someone can make a transcript of this, it would be a big help.

Credit to (Keisu & Alex p.), Thanks mates. [Transcribed by TouringDevotee]

GT2000 (3 A-Spec) & PS2
Interview with Kazunori Yamauchi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZL4uNZafTo
GT2000 (3 A-Spec) & PS2
GT Planet Posted Video
[Transcribed by TouringDevotee]

Narrator: It’s the best selling racing video game of all time. What will it be like when it runs on the Playstation 2, a console 10-times more powerful than any out there now. This is Gran Turismo 2000, the next game in the Gran Turismo series, produced by Kazunori Yamauchi. Recently he gave Playstation Underground an exclusive interview on his plans to take advantage of the new console. Although early in development, he hinted at a whole new level of video gaming.

Kazunori Yamauchi: This time out, we have to change the way people enjoy racing games. There will be something new in the entertainment experience and how users are part of the game. I’d like to say more, but the exact details are still being set.

The biggest difference is that the Playstation 2 will let us make the graphics and sound quality 100-times better. I want to create racing that’s even more realistic than the racing you see on TV. For the first time, we can have open cars so that you can see the driver; perhaps you’ll be able to choose your own helmet and racing suit. I plan to increase the number of cars, adding 5-10 per each territory; Europe, Japan, and North America. I might include the new Corvettes and new Camaro.

There are many cars I’d like to add, but gamers should understand it takes a tremendous amount of negotiation to license a car from its maker. If you don’t see your favorite car in the game, it’s not because I didn’t want it. Would it help if gamers wrote to manufacturers of cars they’d like to see in the game (laughs) [this is Yamauchi speaking, so maybe he was repeating the question put forth]. Yes.

Along with the new cars, I would like to add maybe 5-10 new courses, including dirt tracks and a drag racing mode.

The Playstation 2 gives us the power to change the weather, as well as the time of day for each course; this will add lots of variety.

We also now have the opportunity to develop a more advanced artificial intelligence. We want the computer driven cars to react to what you do with an almost human emotion; if you cut one of them off, that driver might show his anger by racing harder against you, or he might spin and get scared and you would feel it. I can’t go into more details just yet.

Another new factor is the Playstation 2’s new Dual Shock analogue controller. It registers 256 levels of pressure sensitivity. We’re experimenting with this and hope to use it for a more subtle control of braking. In GT1, we needed to have anti-lock braking, that’s not as realistic as what we can now achieve.

Gamers always ask me if car damage will be visible. The manufacturers don’t want their cars to blow up or be battered; I feel the same way, so that will not change, but I hope to create some effect that shows the user the extent of any damage.

Narrator: Plans have been announced for the Playstation 2 to be supported by a broadband network in 2001 [showing Playstation 2 Press Conference in Tokyo, Japan - September 1999]. We wondered what effect this might have on the Gran Turismo series.

Kazunori Yamauchi: I have a vision of Gran Turismo’s network racing. It’s much bigger than one-to-one, but I can’t go into specifics yet. One thing a network could do is let racers share times and establish rankings. This is a very important part of racing games, but in addition, a network could let them share communication on how to take certain corners or courses; that is very important to me as well.

Narrator: Gran Turismo is fulfilling a love for cars that Yamauchi-san has had ever since he was a boy. Now in developing the series, he gets to travel the world and test its greatest cars on its most famous tracks, but he’s made a discovery...

Kazunori Yamauchi:
Playing the video game has improved my real race driving, versus the other way around. Just two days ago, I was on the circuit at Motegi, in Japan, and I realised that my performance had improved drastically, because I had played Gran Turismo 2.

Narrator: You’d better keep sharpening your own racing skills, because when you drive Gran Turismo 2000 on the Playstation 2, it’s a whole new level of power and intensity. Do you have the reflexes to cut it.

Last edited:
Nice, I do not have to do it anymore, btw., I was the one who uploaded it, yeah lol.:sly:

Edit: I see this is the English version= not mine.

:lol:... Don't you love the confusion between similar videos. How is the German language video coming? It sounds very interesting and I can't wait to read it. :drool:

Well, it's the same lol, only in German, but if you want to have a good laugh listening to some German dude talking about the game, here you go lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEZigpwm05s

Ah, I viewed your uploads. But this is very telling indeed, as I did not know that there were 4 parts to this. It looks like we only have part 4 in this series (8:40), and it is not a part of the GT Planet videos on YouTube.

If you can do parts 1-3 from German to English, we'd have a set and can link them together in the 1st post and via links within the posts themselves. :)

1.I can do that, but part 1 is only about the music, so not necessery I think, give me time to late sunday, untill then I will have done all the other interviews too.

2.The date of this special is 09/2001 and it was published in the Official PlayStation 2 Magazine, here in Germany.

3.The GT3 interview I talked about, I looked through all my magz (some 150) and simply couldn't find it because I am sure the mag is not there any more but I suppose I know where it is. I have to search for it first.

4.While looking through all these magz I found 2 GT4 interviews, which I also will translate of course.

Edit: One of the 2 GT4 interviews is really great, trust me, not SO much references to GT4 itself, but A LOT about Kaz as a person and some nice anectodes.

Last edited:
1.I can do that, but part 1 is only about the music, so not necessery I think, give me time to late sunday, untill then I will have done all the other interviews too.

2.The date of this special is 09/2001 and it was published in the Ofiicial PlayStation 2 Magazine, here in Germany.

3.The GT3 interview I talked about, I looked through all my magz (some 150) and simply couldn't find it because I am sure the mag is not there any more but I suppose I know where it is. I have to search for it first.

4.While looking through all these magz I found 2 GT4 interviews, which I also will translate of course.

Thank you for all your hunting and please take your time. :)

If you don't mind, could you do part 1 as well; I think it would be an interesting read and maybe even a gem in there for someone. I don't want to overtax you, so please do part 1 at your leisure.

Thank you again.

Thank you for all your hunting and please take your time. :)

If you don't mind, could you do part 1 as well; I think it would be an interesting read and maybe even a gem in there for someone. I don't want to overtax you, so please do part 1 at your leisure.

Thank you again.

Ok, just because it's you. :sly: :lol:

No, seriously this is no problem at all, in the next 40-60 hours all the stuff should be up.

Ok, just because it's you. :sly: :lol:

No, seriously this is no problem at all, in the next 40-60 hours all the stuff should be up.

Much appreciated. :cheers:

Go ahead and post it here when you are finished, and then I'll quote it in another post and link it. 👍

Credit to Keisu, Thank you. [Transcribed by TouringDevotee]
The Making of Gran Turismo 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABRGgJDlzhI part 1
The Making of Gran Turismo 4

Gran Turismo 4 Prologue, Bonus Disc
Ambrook production
Narrated by Vicki Butler-Henderson

[Transcribed by TouringDevotee]

Part One

The making of a driver

Narrator: Gran Turismo is not just a game, it’s a driving simulator. The link between game and reality is so close, that developing the latest game, Prologue [GT4 Prologue], without real time on the track would be impossible. Kazunori is passionate about cars, and being behind the wheel of a fast car on an open track beats everything.

Kazunori Yamauchi: They are the most beautiful industrial product. Cars naturally have charm, and cars and driving are enjoyable as they are. So we concentrate on reproducing them without adding anything; that’s probably the key characteristic of Gran Turismo, keeping everything realistic.

Narrator: For Kazunori’s team at Polyphony, who created Prologue, today is a chance to have fun, and learn more about the balance and handling of a real car.

Kazunori Yamauchi: Today, our team will conduct some research into how stability control systems work in real cars, but I’ll just be happy if at the end of the day, the experience rekindles the teams motivation to create driving games.

Our job is to represent the enjoyment of cars, through the virtual world, and because we create computer games, it’s important that everyone tastes the enjoyment of actually driving real cars.

[PD Employees Testing Cars]
Tomokazu Murase, Audi TT
Nobuyuki Tsunoda, Lotus Esprit
Koji Tashiro, Fiat Barchetta
Tadashi Terashima, BMW M3

Narrator: For everyone today, these driving tests, just like in the game Prologue, are really important in learning about the pure physics of the car and how to control it when you’re driving on the edge.

Tokyo is at the heart of Japan’s car culture; wander through backstreets downtown and you’ll find tuning shops, turning out mega powered machines, which are raved and drooled over by petrol heads and power junkies the world over. This backdrop of fast cars, cool bars and neon-lit skyscrapers are Polyphony’s inspiration and home. This is the heart of Gran Turismo and mission control for Kazunori and his team, who work ‘round the clock to build the world’s best driving game.

Last edited:
So here's the first of GT4. Magazine: Playzone/Issue: 07/2003

(btw. You still didn't change the date of the GT3, Inside thing, it was 09/2001)

Oh and there could be some typos so look over the text and correct them please. :embarrassed:

Playzone: You've mentioned that GT4 benefited graphically especially from the experience of your programmers but how does it look gameplay-wise?

Kazunori Yamauchi: We try to design GT4 as an amusementpark for carlovers. It will not only be about races and breaking records. The team makes a bigger race-experience out of GT4.

P: Can you tell us sth. about extras of the game, like the museum?

KY: There are cars in real life you can not purchase. Museums allow people to see some of those cars at least. In the game it may be possible to even drive some of those exhibits but we are not sure yet. Often it is, that museums change their display and put new cars in the display window. We hope to put such an aspect also in the game.

P: There were new tracks like Downtown New York or the Grand Canyon-how will the ratio be between fantasy tracks and real-life tracks?

KY: We do not know yet but we're striving for a 50:50 ratio.

P: Can you tell us sth. about the online-play? How many players will be able to race against each other?

KY: There will be a maximum of six players during a race. At the moment we are exploring the online possibilities. Technically we could achieve quite a lot, for example the possibility, that players will be able to exchange tuning parts and cars, but right now, we're just experimenting. My interest in online-play is not really big, and it never was actually. I would rather use the online-mode to create an environment, where players would be able to share their opinions and knowledge. You certainly know that car-lovers like to brag with their knowledge because they always think to know more, than others. That is exactly the commuication between players, I would like to see.

P:
So how many players will be able to compete against each other thtough i-Link?

Ky: Also six. With two additional consoles you can display the replays of the current race in real time.

P: Are there any differences now concerning the license-tests? Especially now, where there are so many new cars and tracks?

KY: The general structure didn't change. But we are re-working the rating and the points-distribution. Besides, there will be much more license-tests.

P: There were some rumours concerning the damage model, are those legit?

KY: What concerns direct damage, no, those romours are wrong. We may show how a car is falling off the cliffs of the Grand Canyon but we certainly won't show the impact on the ground. We also are thinking about a penalty system penalizing gamers, who cut corners or ram other cars rather brutely. Something like this is simply against the rules of motorsport. One pissibility would be a lowerd speed for a certain time for the penalized player.

P: Thank you a lot for the interview.

EDIT: (phweh that was some work lol)

And here goes the second one. Magazine: Play the PlayStation/Issue: 05/2004

Play the Playstation: Deep insights are given to us by the 36 years old car-nut Kazunori Yamauchi in his milliontimes-sold Gran Turismo micro-cosmos. Rarely shows the racing-freak, Gran Turismo producer and chef of the Sony-software company Polyphony Digital, himself so openly, like in this interview. While the fourth game of the series is expected to hit the shelfes in late summer/autumn 2004 and the E3 in May obviously will be the show-ground of the new title, Kazunori Yumauchi chats with us about his game, the world and God.

Some Kaz facts:

1. At an age of 10 the Gran Turismo father has been gifted with his first computer. With 13 years he constructed robots, which could be guided in connection with a computer.

2. Later on Yamauchi studied accountancy and worked along the way for Nissan and Mazda, where he created graphic-diagramms and presentations.

3. Since 1992 the racing-guru works for Sony. Today he's the head of Polyphony Digital (earlier Poly Entertainment), THE archetype developper studio.

Play the Playstation: Since seven years you're working now on the Gran Turismo series. How did this car-love and passion for racing-simulators developped?

Kazunori Yanauchi: My father back then had a porcelain shop but I already was more interested in cars in my childhood. From my third bearth-year I was able to name almost all the car manufacturers. My family back then had very little money so I gained all the knowledge about cars from auto-magazines. I was very happy at my 18th birthday, as I theoretically could now do my license, but that wasn't possible, as my parents didn't have the finances to back this up. So I had to work for it by myself and did so for the next 6 years, untill I was 24 and was finally able to get my license.

PtP: Which car did you first purchase?

KY: None. 'Cause after I got my license, there was no money left for a car. (laughs) So I had to work, again.

PtP: How did the passion for cars develop during this period of time?

KY: I partially got used or weeks-old auto-magz. They were cheap, sometimes even for free. I was heavilly into Formula 3 and Mario Andretti interested me a lot as a racing driver, read everything about that. My car-dreams were fulfilled through those auto-magz.

PtP: But someday you had your first car, right?

KY:
Yes, I can remember this day very well. I drove hundreds of times the same cross-way to find out, when the car is gonna spin. (laughs) Even when it rained, I dashed through the cross-way, trying to figure out the forces and limits of physics. For this, I also drove on gravel roads.

PtP: How did you get into game-development?

KY: My dream job was director. This career wish was especially strong during school-time. From the 8th to the 12th grade I shot small movies. Besides, I was working on computer-graphics. Eventually, I showed those graphics to Sony and asked them if they would be ready to do a game out of it but Sony's politics were hardware oriented, not software. Besides, the software department was under-staffed.

PtP: Which game did you develop first?

KY: I first had to work on the Jump'n Run Karuraou for the Super Famicon. But I found this game to be boring, so I improved it a bit. It launched on February 18th 1994 at Epic Sony Record in Japan and sold, despite my improvements, only 5.000 times.

PtP: How comes that?

KY:Well, it did get good critiques, but the marketing was very bad.

PtP:How did you experience the first time of the PlayStation?

KY: Sony back then had the idea to develop an own console. Back then the market was dominated by the Super Famicon and the Sega Mega Drive. So Sony had this idea and I was enthusiastic about it and wanted to do a game at all costs. Most of all I wanted to do a racing game, a true simulation. But unfortunatly my supervisors hadn't the money for this. Besides, Sony didn't want a racing game. They said 3D was too complex. I better should do a Jump'n Run. By that, I was not very amused (laughs), but then I developed the cartoon-racing game Motor Toon Grand Prix for the original PlayStation.

PtP: We do know Motor Toon Grand Prix, it was quite successful, wasn't it?

KY:
Yes, it sold very well and we even got a price for it. It was a firm-intern Sony price: Me and my team got the first place-admittedly we were the only nominated because all the other ones didn't finish their games in time.

PtP: What was your next project?

KY: After the success of MTGP I did MTGP 2, I concentrated on the goal to bring in some more driving-fun/joy. But a GT, a realsitic racing game, I still wasn't allowed to do. Sony feared that at a game with realstic cars, there would be thousands of license contracts-they weren't interested in long-winded nagotiations with the car manufacturers. Nonetheless, MTGP did help me to improve my footing in the firm and my reputation was very good. But my idea, to create a true racing-simulator, I still couldn't forget. I wanted it badly. So I approached the manufacturers on my own. First, I was at Toyota. They liked the idea, but couldn't really start something with the idea of "Virtual Reality" in a game. Then VW, Subaru and Mitsubishi followed and they were quite taken by this idea. As soon as all the manufacturers were convinced, I finally could start Gran Turismo, as now I had the backing, which earlier on, I lacked. Since then, the reputation of GT changed, the manufacturers see it now as a commercial platform for their cars.

PtP: By now, you're working on GT4. Additionally, there are the concepts like Tokyo-Soeul. What does Gran Turismo mean to you, today?

KY: I wish that even in 100 years, there is still Gran Turismo. No matter if Sony exists by then, Gran Turismo shall be THE game for a car-simulation.

PtP: You've moved a few monthes ago to another buro-complex. What did change in your work-environment and which hardware do you use?

KY: We have a very unconventional buro, there is even an auto-lift. (laughs) There are tyres, spoilers and auto-parts everythere and some rooms look like halls, they're not even papered. I want that my employees feel like as if they were in a car repair shop. Now, we have a lot of big rooms for our employees, which is rather exceptional. Aside from, there is even a Japanese Room, in traditional architecture. It is only there to welcome foreign guests. And in my buro there is an Apple Power Mac G5 with a double display.

PtP: The cars of GT4-Prologue are very detailed. How are they created?

KY: Tadashi Terajima is responsible for the car modeling, as he is the head of this department. He owns this position since GT3. Earlier on, he was employed at the software firm Kansai and was a passionate Gran Turismo fan. When his firm went bankrupt, he came to us. Mostly, we model the cars after little model-cars, which I also collect btw. We do not get any construction plans from the car manufacturers, still the models are rather easily to digitalize. We can't use photographs, two-dimensional assists are not very usefull. The minicar-models are very easy to measure and quite handy. The difficulty is to optimize the polygon-placement. Mostly we use more polygons at the front, as it is the "face" of the car, so to say. Basically, it is very hard to model a car because the GT cars aren't symmetric-you have double the work and have to manage some harmony between the left and the right side. If a car is finished, it is inspected by at least two people as a quality check.

PtP: That sounds complicated. How is that handeled with the environment and the streets?

KY: Yuji Samatsu is handling this work, as the head of the road-construction department. He has 16 co-workers and does in Gran Turismo 4 for example the Grand Canyon. He was there with a team and had the problem that the environment changed only every 10-20 kilometers. But we wanted a compact, exciting course for GT4. So he had to build the track out of parts of the environment, at which he used real geo-information like the hight. He drove 150 kilometers with the camera, which was quite tiresome. Problem was, that there wasn't any toilet or water or let alone a kiosk (laughs).

PtP: What are you working on right now in GT4 and when is the game finished?

KY: Right now we're working on cabriolet-variants: A cabrio needs a lot of polygons, but it would be nice to be able to choose, if you want to drive with the roof open or not, as a player. Concerning the release, the only thing I can say is that we try to bring the game out in Japan, the USA and Europe almost simultaneously.

PtP:
Please complete the following sentence: "When improved hardware like the PlayStation 3 is released...

KY: ...we have more work, as we have now more polygons to work with and we have to use them."

EDIT 2:

Gran Turismo 3: Special part 1:Music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBm8BcXptUU

(part 2 and 3 will be posted tomorrow and if I'm lucky I can find the GT3 interview, hopefully.)

Sean Kane: My name is Jean Kane and I'm the European producer of the whole Gran Turismo series. Basically I look after all what concerns Europe. So when the game in finalized in Japanese, we localize it for the European market.
Part of that is finding new songs for the game. In GT3 there are six bands, mostly new bands. 2 of those are Grand Theft Audio and Overseer and I think they will be quite successful. For many of these bands it's a great opportunity to be featured in the game, as they will be heared by a greater audience. The same people bying GT are also the same people bying their records. Like that players will hear their songs many times instead of hearing them only once or twice in the radio. Feeder was one of the first bands to be actually interested to be featured in the game. Their management was very helpful, their label was actually also rather helpful. They're touring right now through Europe and there they also play some songs, which are featured in the game. So the timing was raher perfect for Feeder and the game also.

Band Feeder: My name is 1.Taka, 2.(Grand?), 3.Jonathan, 1.What's up, 2.I'm playing the drums, 3.I sing and play guitar.

Phone rings: Jonathan:
Hello??? Hey listen...we're doin' this "Gran Turismo" thing right now, okay?

Grand: We were on tour, I was working on some B-sides. We are just back from our Europe tour, a lot of promo work like TV, etc. I think it was our publisher, who sent in our songs and some of them were chosen because of their energy and dynamic, at least that's what we were told. So they used them for the first Gran Turismo. 5 songs were used, which were from our mini-album:Swim. That was really great. Yeah I mean it's always great to hear your own music in a game you know? We saw it once in Japan, when the game wasn't even finished yet, so we got an early preview.

Takata: Well, the graphics are quite impressive. I like racing games in general. GT1 and GT2, they're already pretty fantastic, that's why I hope that GT3 will be even better.

Grand: Erhm, I'm pretty oldschool. I still like space-invaders. Of all the ones here, I played the least, but I'm watching the others play it. A few times I tried it, but I'm doing this only, when nobody's watching because I'm not that good at it. Maybe I should spend more time with playing video games? That really helps to relax, it takes a lot of stress off you. It takes your mind off other things.

EDIT 3:

Gran Turismo 3: Special part 2:The history of GT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i9qLMWqx_U&feature=related

Kazunori Yamauchi (creator of Gran Turismo): When I imagined really properly for the first time how "Gran Turismo" should look like, I was 15 years old. Two things are important: realistic driving and realistic cars-these are the bases of-Gran Turismo.

Gran Turismo was my first game after I came to Sony. Well, I passed in some 100 game-concepts, the first one was Gran Turismo. There wasn't a single racing game, where you could experience realistic driving and cars. That was in 1992, first it got rejected. So I started on my own, with everything I could get in my hands. As a 3 man team we first developed Motor Toon Grand Prix. As a racing game it looks very cartoony but actually the game was very serious. It became the first publishment of the newly formed "Sony Computer Entertainment". There was a competition in the industry-which team would be able to program a high-quality game between the release of the prototype-hardware and the actual public release. We did achieve exactly that.
MTGP was not my ideal but you could say that it was some sort of a pre-Gran Turismo. PlayStation was the first commercial hardware using 3D-polygon technology. When PlaySation wouldn't have this kind of technology, I couldn't even dream of a game like Gran Turismo. We want that the cars look as cool as they can. In the recent build of Gran Turismo, we achieved some technical triumphs. The most recongnizable thing now is, that you can see real reflections on the cars, which was absolutly impossible with PlayStation 1. We always repected the individuality of each car. Every car has been passionatly recreated. Before the release of Gran Turismo 1, we studied 3 years long the physical characteristics of engines. We didn't know if it was possible at all but were convinced we should do it. 2 years passed between GT1 and GT2. With Gran Turismo 1, we achieved 90 percent of that what we wanted to achieve, the rest, we achieved with Gran Turismo 2. During the two year development of GT2, we made some improvents, for example we sped it up by 25%, we also included cars now from around the world. GT1 sold in Europe and the USA much better than we tought it would do, so as a conclusion, GT2 was designed for the whole world, with more cars and such. When GT2 was finished, we already were working on GT3 for one year. With two teams we started with the GT3 development. I believe...we used 90% of the console's potential, we've worked very hard. Further enhancments would result in a considerably longer development time.
During our work, we made new discoveries every day, after the motto: "I didn't even know this was possible!" We really wanted to inculde everything what was possible with the PlayStation 2. And so we did it. A truly realstic car simulation, like I initially wanted it, was not realizable with the PlayStation 1. Finally we can tansmit a real "GT"-feeling, with GT3, as Gran Turismo was supposed to be. I love cars and every kind of racing games. It was rather easy to develop Gran Turismo, I created what I had in mind and I wanted to realize my dream.

EDIT 4:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp8dEbifvto&feature=related

Gran Turismo 3 special part 3: Twin Ring Motegi

Narrator: Motegi, this is where our team, Polyphony Digital, is heading to let themselfes inspire and to get new ideas. After the production plan is heading towards completion, the team wants to experience a bit of real driving here. We spoke to Kazunori Yamauchi about his love for motorsports.

Kazunori Yamauchi: When I was 9 or 10 years old, the Japanese Gran Prix took place. Although I was only in elementary school, I followed everything on TV. That really amazed me because this was the first time I saw motorsport of world-class quality. Back then, there were drivers like Mario Andretti, that probably was my first experience with motorsports.

Today, I am fascinated by everything, which has something to do with motorsprts, especially Formula 1 of course. I'm also a big fan of WRC Rally. Although I didn't try rally-driving yet, I once drove on gravel roads. Only after GT1's completion, our team headed to a real racing-track. We practised a lot with the game and had therefore many ideas how real racing driving works. When I finally hit the racing track, I was simply amazed how similar it was to my imagination.
Right now I'm driving with production cars on racing tracks. I never drove with Formula cars. I drive cars like Lancer Evolution, GTR and such. They're set up for race tracks and this is where I drive them. When you wanna drive normal production cars on race tracks, you gotta adjust there durability. You have to adjust parts like the engine or the cooling-system. I have a lot of changes on my Lancer Evolution, but it's not tuned-"radically".
I was now two times at LeMans and I'm planning to go there again this year. I'm also watching GT and other kind of racing, when I have the time to do that, which unfortunatly, is rarely the case. In Europe, I would like to drive at Spa-Francorchamps or the Grand Prix in Monaco. I drove the actual racetrack already a dozen times without the race actually taking place but I would like to do it during an actual race. I also thought about getting a racing-license but never had the time for it. As we have finished GT3 now, I would like to drive races like the: One Make Races, in Japan. They are hold in similar conditions and the cars are not so overpowered. For example, there is the Beetle Cup or the Elise Cup.
When I started to get interested in motorsports, Ayrton Senna became a star at that time, unfortunately he died, but I believe he was the first one, who showed me how much fun motorsport actually is. Under today's drivers, I think Juan Pablo Montoya is great. A few times I got to know Tommy Mäkinnen. He was with GT everytime, first with GT1 and then with GT3. Both of us were driving practise and I was only 0.2 seconds faster than him. This was his very first drive with GT3 and he was only 0.2 seconds slower than me. I really was gobsmacked. Mäkinnen had so much fun with the game, that he actually forgot it was a game. He asked if it would be possible to make some changes to the car, like stiffing up the rear wheel-suspension. He was talking, as if we would talk about a real car. So we realized that questions like: "Is that now still a game or not?", were absolutly futile. We noticed that in GT, he drove exactly like with a real car. That really made me happy.

EDIT 5:

GT2000(3) interview Magazine: GameStar/ Issue: 01/2001

GameStar: Gran Turismo 2000 was announced 18 months ago. Why will it be released so late?

Kazunori Yamauchi: Untill the end of the last year I was occupied with GT2, only after that I could concentrate on GT2000. Before the game, we had to develop certain tools in order to make use of the PlaySation 2 hardware. Most of the time was spent on modeling the cars and tracks. For one car, one-two weeks, a difficult task because for me details are important. In GT2 only one day was needed.

GS: How are the graphics different from the older games?

KY: Every car consists of 2000-4000 polygons now, in the old games it only were some 300.

GS: Why are not all luxury brands represented in the game?

KY: For the models we contacted every avaiable manufacturer. Some firms like Ferrari already have exclusive contracts with other game studios. I also asked them about damage to the cars. American companies didn't really care but the Japanese and European ones were against damage. But I will let the cars smoke and the handling-characteristics will be affected after a crash. Aside from that, light-reflections play a big role in GT2000, especially on night stages they look highly impressive.

GS: What are the biggest differences now concerning gameplay?

KY: The concept of different race-classes and tuning options is the same. However the old PlayStation was overstrained with GT's simulation aspect. Players actually could only adjust the speed and the acceleration of their cars. With this game, I really made an effort to simulate suspenion-physics as good as I could. Especially in turns you can see now how the suspension and the G-forces work. Finally, the player is able to experiment with the car's handling by adding new parts, in order to improve the handling characteristics.

EDIT 6:

GT3 interview Magazine: PSM2 Issue:06/2001

As a sidenote: The interview team, while being there, spotted a GT3 disc, which said "B-spec", well we know now how that turned out.

PSM2: Mr. Yamauchi, how long do you work now in the game-business? Did something change and what are your hopes and desires for the future?

Kazunori Yamauchi:
I'm almost for 9 years now in this business and as far as I'm concerned, not much has changed since then. I would find it desirable if the games-industry stays at least established as it is now, next to the movie and music industry.

PSM2: What did inspire you to design a game like "Gran Turismo"?

KY: Already with 15 I imagined my ideal of a racing title. 1993 I could finally fulfill this dream. We had optimal conditions to work on GT1 back then. We use the capabilities of the PlayStation 2 rather well and that brings me a bit closer to my ideal of a racing game.

PSM2: All those delays of the game dissapointed many fans, though they probably are the result of your persuit for perfectionisme. What can the waiting fan hope for, considering the longer development time?

KY: I spent a serious amount of time on GT3, eventually, the game is supposed to be a true jewel-not some thing you just buy because there is nothing better out yet. We will not only outgun the pervious titles. The more time we invest into the game, the more fun the consumer has, it's that simple.

PSM2: The game would have been without a doubt the perfect launch title.

KY: We just worked too long on Gran Turismo 2. That of course influenced the development of GT3. Of course even I would like to release the game earlier. But when you have a certain quality standard in mind, you do not want to do half baked things.

PSM2: How many people are working right now on GT3?

KY: Our basic team consists of 30 people. When we add the support, the number is at 70.

PSM2: After we saw pictures of the rally and night courses, we asked ourselfes how many tracks there will be. What is your favourite track?

KY: You just have to wait and see. My favourite course is the wet track. We played with the idea to add such a course since GT1 but have only been able to realize it in the current game.

PSM2: The wet track looks phanomenal indeed. But why are there no weather and daytime changes during endurance races?

KY: Our opinion is that it would distract too much from the game. A sunset is not the problem but it is still a question of performance. We rather concentrate all the power to pre-set settings, in order to display them as realistic as possible.

PSM2: Would the power of the ps2 not be enough to implement a track-editor?

KY: At the moment we are not thinking about this but it could be possible in the future, yes.

PSM2: What is the biggest improvement over the older games?

KY: We doubled the framerate, which results in significantly smoother driving. GT2 ran with 30 frames, so there was a lag of 1/30 of a second between the game and the player. We halfed this time now, you can drive the cars now far more precisely. We can calculate throttle, brake and the suspension more often.

PSM2: And the cars improved also a lot from GT2000 untill now.

KY: Yes, we added some new features. Real-Time-Environment-Mapping is only one example. During day this effect might not be all too spectacular but at night it gets far more interesting. For the cars, we simply have far more processing power now and can support with the CPU. The handling should be much better. In comparison to GT2, we wanna make big steps. The render-engine is able to calculate up to 10 million polygons per second, depending on how much effects we're using. The amount will certainly increase in future but for now we are concentrating on the lighting effects.

PSM2: What will change gameplay-wise?

KY: The gameplay of a good racing game has to have many aspects. Hard fighted duells, the feeling of obtaining an expensive and special car, many tuning options etc., etc., etc. We improved all of those aspects. The cars handle better, look better and you can tune them better. But the magic moment happens still, when the player picks up the controller and notices how realistically the car behaves and despite this fact, is still very driveable. You can not really describe this feeling, words are not enough, you gotta experience it.

PSM2: Will you ever convince the manufacturers to allow some extensive damage?

KY: Yes. But there are still two big problems: The crashes themselfes should be as realistic as possible and affect the cars realistically but we need the agreement of all the manufacturers.

PSM2: Do you think it is possible to develop a realistic racing game without damage?

KY: No. You got to be carefull with an implementation of such a feature. We try to make everything almost perfect, so if we will ever have a damage model, then we want it to be almost perfect. After a light impact, the car gets some scratches and dents, after a heavy impact, it sets on fire and the race is over. A half baked solution for this is out of question. I do not want a car, which still drives after some heavy impacts. Surely you can help a turned-over car, but nothing more!

PSM2: Can you tell us something about the i-link function?

KY: With that, six players can play the game at the same time. For that, they need six PlayStation 2's and six Tvs.

PSM2: The game was not even supposed to be called GT3 because you didn't see it as a true sequel. Why did you change your mind?

KY: The plans once were very different indeed. The game was supposed to launch with the Japanese PS2 with 50 cars and 4 tracks. We would have released it as some sort of a big demo, then the name GT2000 would actually match. When I worked on the game, I wanted to pack in as much as possible. Now we're at 150 cars and 15 tracks and can call it Gran Turismo 3 with a clear conscience.

PSM2: In the past you gave players some alternatives to the standard gamepad. Is the new Force-Feedback-Wheel a dream come true?

KY: I was always of the opinion that a wheel without ffb isn't a decent solution. The game improved much, so there is also a need of improvement with the controller. The ffb-wheel is the first controller, which really satisfied us.

PSM2: In which form are the analog-capabilities of the Dual Shock2 controller used?

KY: Throttle as well as brake can be adjusted analogely now, with the handling that was already possible in the older games.

PSM2: What did the new hardware enable you to do?

KY: Better graphics, better sound, you can see that immediatly. "Behind the curtain" we have immense possibilities for the calculations of game-influencing parameters. The handling represents that quite obviously. I think there never has been any other racing game with such an authentic handling, which at the same time was so accessible. That is why the players will learn to drive pretty quickly, I am very sure of that.

PSM2: During an earlier interview you played with the thought of including muscle cars and drag-races, but this didn't happen, why?

KY: Right. Regarding this, back then we had a lot of requests but there simply wasn't enough time. I still would like to have this feature included very much but right now we just gotta set the priorities somewhere else!

PSM2: Are all your favourite cars in the game?

KY: No, I still would like to have Ferraris and Lamborghinis in the game. But we had this problem forever. Other companies secured the licenses.

PSM2: How hard is it to virtualize the specific little model-modifications of the manufacurers?

KY: Hard. You can not only rely on some data from a magazine. The data has to be updated very often because the manufacrurers are faster with their updates than us digitalizing them.

PSM2: Which car was the most hard to model?

KY: The popular a car is, the harder it gets. Everyone has an exact imgage of the car in his head and expects then a model, which comes very close to this exact image. Though, all the modelling is rather tough to be honest.

PSM2: What do you think about the other PS2 racing games?

KY: I rarely think about them. When GT1 launched, there were some good racing games out there, but GT brought some new life to this genre and now other developers are rather thinking more about our games, than it would be the other way around.

PSM2: Did you have a look on Colin Mc Rae Rally 2 or Sega Rally while developing GT3's rally mode?

KY: I always try to play every racing game for at least one hour. But there I am concentrating only on gameplay, not the things around it.

PSM2: Of course we got to mention Gran Turismo 4.

KY: I hope of course that I will be working on that as soon as possible. But it's not the time for that yet, I can't tell you any details right now. We still have a lot of work to do.

PSM2: Will it be an online game?

KY: I would at least be ready to try something like this.

PSM2: You once said that Polyphony would like to be also successfull in other genres. Can you tell us something about that?

KY: We think about that at the moment but we are not sure when the works on a new title will begin.

PSM2: And what are you planning to do right after you finished GT3?

KY: At the moment we're still quite busy with GT3. Wether we'll do a RPG, an action-adventure or another racing game, we just don't know yet. Since the beginning of GT2's development untill now, we had no real vacation, so I think it is at the time to take some longer holidays, when we are finished with Gran Turismo 3.

That's all I have. Oh and yeah there are certainly some typos but I'm not a native speaker so...chill. lol

Last edited:
GTPlanet - GamesCom – The Yamauchi Interview
https://www.gtplanet.net/gamescom-the-yamauchi-interview/

GamesCom – The Yamauchi Interview by GTPlanet

18th August 2010

Hello all, from drizzly Cologne!

At this morning’s breakout session at the Radisson Hotel, Cologne we were told that all information and media given was subject to an embargo until 0900 GMT Thursday morning – which we, unlike other sites, intend to respect – we were left in somewhat of a no-man’s land. Andreas, Venari and I couldn’t really bring you any of the information we wanted to and yet, at the same time, we have to report something. This is, after all, what you’re paying us for.

What we can bring you is news that, yet again, the GT5 code has received a few tweaks and is another, more recent build than E3, there’s some good news on expected features, some better news on some potential fears and some great news on some unexpected (but by now, thanks to “other sites”, internet-wide) features. We’ll provide more the instant the embargo expires tomorrow. Kazunori seemed quite nervous beforehand – pacing the courtyard, cigarette in hand – but his nervousness was unfounded.

Luckily, after a quick play on the GamesCom show floor of the latest GT5 build (with new tracks and cars as exclusively revealed late yesterday), Andreas received an SMS from Sony’s Alex Armour – Kazunori Yamauchi would see us now…

As Andreas, Venari and I sat down with Yamauchi, we were asked to be brief – it was, after all, lunchtime after a stressful morning and we were feeling hunger-pangs too. We didn’t quite get all the questions out that we wanted and Kazunori didn’t want to be filmed during the interview, but we tried our best to interrogate while respecting his time constraints.

Can you tell us anything about PSN Trophies in GT5?

Kazunori looked a little confused at first. We’d put to him the rumour about multiple Platinum trophies which he dismissed as just that – rumour. He clarified that he really hadn’t thought about Trophies in GT5 but that they will be in. Our considered opinion is that GT has been doing “trophies” since 1997 and it’s more likely than not that the Trophies system will be grafted onto the existing trophy aspects of the game.

Will GT5 feature LAN mode/multiple monitor support?

“Probably” was the reply. At this point, there are still aspects of the game that the 140-man strong team are still refining. My understanding of Kazunori’s precise words were more probably-likely than probably-possibly.

We’ve seen changing light and, recently, weather. Will this be available on all tracks?

“Not on all tracks, but some.”. We’d imagine that tracks with 24 hour races are more likely to see diurnal cycles, but whether you can race the ‘Ring in snow… at this point it is still up in the air.

With GT5, how close are you to your goal of “The Real Driving Simulator”?

“90%” was the instant answer. “Well, 85-90%”.

Are there any features missing from GT5 that you’d like to have included?

Kazunori said “Yes”, without hesistation. “But there’s still time to work on things!”

Would this include a livery editor?

“Probably not for GT5, though it’s certainly on our list of things to work on…”.

Previously we’ve seen you say things about weather, lighting, skidmarks, that you’d add them if you felt they added to gameplay. How much is this the case, compared to community pressure (from sites like GTPlanet) to add things?

“It’s probably evenly balanced”, said Kazunori. We’d interpret this as a borderline tacit admission that our forums – and many other sites – form research for PD, especially with regards to features. We have, after all, seen a recent addition of real-time skidmarks and reverse lights in the latest demo builds, now that there is the software and hardware to achieve it.

At this point we were asked if we could wrap it up quickly – we were originally told 3-4 minutes and we were already near ten. So the last question was the question I’d decided (hey, executive decision!) was the very best “alternate” question we’d received.

Given the time, money, space and resources, which fantasy Gran Turismo track would you create in the real world?

Kazunori was visibly awed by this question and spent nearly a minute thinking of an answer. “Deep Forest”, he said. I countered with “Trial Mountain?”. His next answer was complex – the team haven’t revealed anywhere near all of the tracks yet and there may be a fantasy GT5 track which exceeds Deep Forest in his estimations, and Trial Mountain in mine.

Kazunori continued, “A construction company in Japan [Maede] investigated the possibility of building Grand Valley. They wrote a book about it!”. We weren’t able to get an accurate title from Kazunori or Translator-san – it didn’t seem to translate well, but “Fantasy Business Scheme” was the final answer. If you know of this book, please let us know!

And that was that – the first meeting between the world’s largest Gran Turismo site and the game’s creator, courtesy of Alex Armour at Sony, Darin Gangi at InsideSimRacing, Andreas Nie (our co-conspirator) and Jordan.

Edit: Thanks to Doctor_No for clarifying the comment about Maeda construction.

As ever, we’ll let Translator-san have the last word:

“We need your name!”

“No you don’t. Translator-san will do just fine…”

Credit to Neal. Thank you.
The Yamauchi Interview

by Famine
GTPlanet
18th August 2010

Hello all, from drizzly Cologne!

At this morning’s breakout session at the Radisson Hotel, Cologne we were told that all information and media given was subject to an embargo until 0900 GMT Thursday morning – which we, unlike other sites, intend to respect – we were left in somewhat of a no-man’s land. Andreas, Venari and I couldn’t really bring you any of the information we wanted to and yet, at the same time, we have to report something. This is, after all, what you’re paying us for.

What we can bring you is news that, yet again, the GT5 code has received a few tweaks and is another, more recent build than E3, there’s some good news on expected features, some better news on some potential fears and some great news on some unexpected (but by now, thanks to “other sites”, internet-wide) features. We’ll provide more the instant the embargo expires tomorrow. Kazunori seemed quite nervous beforehand – pacing the courtyard, cigarette in hand – but his nervousness was unfounded.

Luckily, after a quick play on the GamesCom show floor of the latest GT5 build (with new tracks and cars as exclusively revealed late yesterday), Andreas received an SMS from Sony’s Alex Armour – Kazunori Yamauchi would see us now…

As Andreas, Venari and I sat down with Yamauchi, we were asked to be brief – it was, after all, lunchtime after a stressful morning and we were feeling hunger-pangs too. We didn’t quite get all the questions out that we wanted and Kazunori didn’t want to be filmed during the interview, but we tried our best to interrogate while respecting his time constraints.

Can you tell us anything about PSN Trophies in GT5?

Kazunori looked a little confused at first. We’d put to him the rumour about multiple Platinum trophies which he dismissed as just that – rumour. He clarified that he really hadn’t thought about Trophies in GT5 but that they will be in. Our considered opinion is that GT has been doing “trophies” since 1997 and it’s more likely than not that the Trophies system will be grafted onto the existing trophy aspects of the game.

Will GT5 feature LAN mode/multiple monitor support?

“Probably” was the reply. At this point, there are still aspects of the game that the 140-man strong team are still refining. My understanding of Kazunori’s precise words were more probably-likely than probably-possibly.

We’ve seen changing light and, recently, weather. Will this be available on all tracks?

“Not on all tracks, but some.”. We’d imagine that tracks with 24 hour races are more likely to see diurnal cycles, but whether you can race the ‘Ring in snow… at this point it is still up in the air.

With GT5, how close are you to your goal of “The Real Driving Simulator”?

“90%” was the instant answer. “Well, 85-90%”.

Are there any features missing from GT5 that you’d like to have included?

Kazunori said “Yes”, without hesistation. “But there’s still time to work on things!”

Would this include a livery editor?

“Probably not for GT5, though it’s certainly on our list of things to work on…”.

Previously we’ve seen you say things about weather, lighting, skidmarks, that you’d add them if you felt they added to gameplay. How much is this the case, compared to community pressure (from sites like GTPlanet) to add things?

“It’s probably evenly balanced”, said Kazunori. We’d interpret this as a borderline tacit admission that our forums – and many other sites – form research for PD, especially with regards to features. We have, after all, seen a recent addition of real-time skidmarks and reverse lights in the latest demo builds, now that there is the software and hardware to achieve it.

At this point we were asked if we could wrap it up quickly – we were originally told 3-4 minutes and we were already near ten. So the last question was the question I’d decided (hey, executive decision!) was the very best “alternate” question we’d received.

Given the time, money, space and resources, which fantasy Gran Turismo track would you create in the real world?

Kazunori was visibly awed by this question and spent nearly a minute thinking of an answer. “Deep Forest”, he said. I countered with “Trial Mountain?”. His next answer was complex – the team haven’t revealed anywhere near all of the tracks yet and there may be a fantasy GT5 track which exceeds Deep Forest in his estimations, and Trial Mountain in mine.

Kazunori continued, “A construction company in Japan [Maede] investigated the possibility of building Grand Valley. They wrote a book about it!”. We weren’t able to get an accurate title from Kazunori or Translator-san – it didn’t seem to translate well, but “Fantasy Business Scheme” was the final answer. If you know of this book, please let us know!

And that was that – the first meeting between the world’s largest Gran Turismo site and the game’s creator, courtesy of Alex Armour at Sony, Darin Gangi at InsideSimRacing, Andreas Nie (our co-conspirator) and Jordan.

Edit: Thanks to Doctor_No for clarifying the comment about Maeda construction.

As ever, we’ll let Translator-san have the last word:

“We need your name!”

“No you don’t. Translator-san will do just fine…”

________________________________________ ______________________
Related: InsideSimRacing Special Report GT5

Last edited:
Credit to Alex p., Thank You. [Translated from German by Alex P.]
Playzone Magazine
An amusement park for carlovers
[Interview with Kazunori Yamauchi]
Playzone (magazine)
An amusement park for carlovers
[Interview with Kazunori Yamauchi]
page 44

07/2003

[Translated from German by Alex P.]

Playzone: You've mentioned that GT4 benefited, especially graphically, from the experience of your programmers, but how does it look with regard to gameplay?

Kazunori Yamauchi: We try to design GT4 as an amusement park for car lovers; it will not only be about races and breaking records. The team has made a bigger race experience of GT4.

P: Can you tell us something about the extras of the game, such as the museum?

KY: There are cars in real life that you can not purchase. Museums at least allow people to see some of those cars and in the game, it may be possible to even drive some of those exhibits, but we are not yet sure. Often, museums change their display and place new cars in the display window. We hope to also put such an aspect in the game.

P: There are new tracks, like downtown New York and the Grand Canyon. What will be the ratio between fantasy tracks and real-life tracks?

KY: We do not know yet, but we're striving for a 50:50 ratio.

P: Can you tell us something about the online play? How many players will be able to race against one another?

KY: There will be a maximum of six players during a race and at the moment, we are exploring the online possibilities. Technically we could achieve quite a lot, for example, the possibility that players will be able to exchange tuning parts and cars, but right now, we're just experimenting.

My interest in online-play is not very big and it never was actually. I would rather use the online-mode to create an environment, where players would be able to share their opinions and knowledge. You certainly know that car-lovers like to brag about their knowledge, because they always think they know more than others. That is exactly the communication I would like to see between players.

P:
So how many players will be able to compete against each other through i-Link?

Ky: Also six, and with two additional consoles, you can display the replays of the current race in real time.

P: Are there now any differences concerning the license tests? Especially now that there are so many new cars and tracks?

KY: The general structure didn't change, but we are reworking the ratings and the points-distribution. Other than that, there will be many more license tests.

P: There were some rumours concerning the damage model. Are they legitimate?

KY: Those which concern direct damage, no, those rumours are wrong. We may show how a car is falling off the cliffs of the Grand Canyon, but we certainly won't show the impact on the ground. We also are thinking about a penalty system, penalizing gamers who cut corners or ram other cars rather brutishly. Something like this is simply against the rules of motorsport. One possibility [to deal with this] would be a lowered speed, for a period of time, for the penalized player.

P: Thank you a lot for the interview.

Last edited:
Oh how wrong I was! You had to change quite a lot! :scared::lol:

My English is indeed not as good as I thought, oh well.:dopey:

p.s. When you've finished all the editing, I'll erase my original post. (for the moderators)

Play the PlayStation Magazine
In chat with Kazunori Yamauchi
Play the PlayStation (magazine)
In chat with Kazunori Yamauchi
pages 26-29

05/2004

Deep insights into the million times sold Gran Turismo microcosmos are given to us by the 36 years old car-nut, Kazunori Yamauchi. Rarely does the racing-freak, Gran Turismo producer and chief of the Sony software company, Polyphony Digital, show himself so openly as in this interview.

While the fourth game of the series is expected to hit the shelves in late summer/autumn of 2004, the obvious showground of the new title will be the E3 Expo in May. Kazunori Yamauchi chats with us about his game, the world, and God.

Some Kaz facts:

1. At the age of 10, the Gran Turismo father was given his first computer, and by 13 he had constructed robots, which could be guided in connection with a computer.

2. Later on Yamauchi studied accountancy and worked his way along for Nissan and Mazda, where he created graphic-diagrams and presentations.

3. Since 1992, the racing-guru has worked for Sony and today he's the head of Polyphony Digital (earlier Poly Entertainment), THE archetype developer studio.

Play the Playstation: You have been working on the Gran Turismo series for seven years now. How did this car-love and passion for racing-simulators develop?

Kazunori Yanauchi: My father, back then, had a porcelain shop, but already in my childhood, I was more interested in cars and from the age of 3, I was able to name almost all the car manufacturers. Back then, my family had very little money, so I gained all of my car knowledge from automotive magazines. I was very happy at my 18th birthday, as I could now, theoretically, procure my license, but it wasn't possible as my parents didn't have the finances to back this up. I had to work for it by myself and did so for the next 6 years, until I was 24 and was finally able to get my license.

PtP: What car was your first purchase?

KY: None, because after I got my license, there was no money left for a car. (laughs) So I had to work, again.

PtP: How did your passion for cars develop during this period of time?

KY: I got partially used or weeks-old automotive magazines. They were cheap, sometimes even free. I was heavily into Formula 3 and Mario Andretti interested me a lot as a racing driver. I read everything about that. My car-dreams were fulfilled through those automotive magazines.

PtP: But someday you had your first car, right?

KY:
Yes, I remember this day very well. I drove hundreds of times through the same intersection [crossroad, crossway] in order to find out when the car would spin. (laughs) Even when it rained, I dashed through the crossway, trying to figure out the forces and limits of physics. For this, I also drove on gravel roads.

PtP: How did you get into game-development?

KY: My dream job was director. This career wish was especially strong during school-time and from the 8th to the 12th grade, I shot small movies. In addition to this, I was working on computer-graphics. Eventually, I showed those graphics to Sony and asked if they would be ready to make a game from them, but Sony's politics were hardware oriented, not software. Besides, the software department was under-staffed.

PtP: Which game did you develop first?

KY: I first had to work on the Jump'n Run Karuraou for the Super Famicon, but I found this game to be boring and so I improved it a bit. It launched on February 18th 1994 at Epic/Sony Records in Japan and sold, despite my improvements, only 5,000 copies.

PtP: Why was that?

KY: Well, it did get good reviews, but the marketing was very bad.

PtP: What was your experience with the beginnings of the PlayStation?

KY: At that time, Sony had the idea to develop a console of its own. The market, back then, was dominated by the Super Famicon and the Sega Mega Drive, but Sony had this idea and I was enthusiastic about it and wanted to make a game any cost. Most of all, I wanted to create a racing game; a true simulation, but unfortunately my supervisors hadn't the money for this and besides, Sony didn't want a racing game. They said 3D was too complex and that it would be better if I worked on Jump'n Run. By that, I was not very amused (laughs), but then I developed the cartoon-racing game Motor Toon Grand Prix for the original PlayStation.

PtP: We do know Motor Toon Grand Prix, it was quite successful, wasn't it?

KY:
Yes, it sold very well and we even received a prize from Sony for it. It was a Sony in-house prize and admittedly, my team and I won first place due to the fact that we were the only group nominated, because none of the others had finished their games in time.

PtP: What was your next project?

KY: After the success of Motor Toon Grand Prix, I made Motor Toon Grand Prix 2, concentrating on the goal of adding more driving-fun/joy. As for a Gran Turismo, a realsitic racing game, I still wasn't allowed to do one.

Sony feared that at a game with realstic cars would require thousands of licensing contracts, and they weren't interested in long-winded negotiations with car manufacturers. Nonetheless, Motor Toon Grand Prix did help me to improve my footing in the firm, and my reputation was very good, however, my idea, to create a true racing-simulator, I still could not forget it. I wanted it badly, so I approached the manufacturers on my own.

First, I was at Toyota and though they liked the idea, they couldn't really start something with the idea of "Virtual Reality" in a game. Then VW, Subaru and Mitsubishi followed and they were quite taken by this idea. As soon as all the manufacturers were convinced, I could finally begin Gran Turismo, as now I had backing, which earlier on, I lacked. Since then, the reputation of GT has changed, and manufacturers now see it as a commercial platform for their cars.

PtP: By now, you're working on GT4. Additionally, there are the concepts like Tokyo-Seoul. What does Gran Turismo mean to you, today?

KY: I wish that even in 100 years, there will still be a Gran Turismo. Regardless if Sony exists by then, Gran Turismo shall be THE game for a car-simulation.

PtP: You moved a few months ago to another bureau-complex [office complex]. What has changed in your work environment and what hardware do you use?

KY: We have a very unconventional bureau, there is even an auto-lift. (laughs) There are tyres, spoilers and auto-parts everywhere, and some rooms look like halls; they're not even papered. I would like for my employees feel as if they were in a car repair shop. Now we have a lot of big rooms for our employees, which is rather exceptional and there is even a Japanese Room, in traditional architecture. It is only there to welcome foreign visitors. In my personal office, there is an Apple Power Mac G5 with a double display.

PtP: The cars of GT4-Prologue are very detailed. How are they created?

KY: Tadashi Terajima is responsible for the car modeling, and he has been the head of this department since GT3. Earlier on, he was employed at the software firm Kansai and was a passionate Gran Turismo fan. When his firm went bankrupt, he came to us. Mostly, we model the cars after little model-cars, which I also collect by the way. We did not get any construction plans from the car manufacturers, even so, the models are rather easy to digitize.

We can't use photographs, as two-dimensional assists are not very useful. The small car models are very easy to measure and quite handy. The difficulty is to optimize the polygon-placement. Most often, we tend to use more polygons for the front of the car, as it is the "face" of the car, so to speak. Basically, it is very hard to model a car, because the GT cars aren't symmetric, and so you have double the work so as to manage some harmony between the left and right side. When a car is finished, it is inspected by at least two people as a quality check.

PtP: That sounds complicated. How are the environments and the streets handled?

KY: Yuji Samatsu is handling this work, as the head of the road-construction department. He has 16 co-workers and does in Gran Turismo 4 for example the Grand Canyon. He was there with a team and had the problem that the environment changed only every 10-20 kilometers. But we wanted a compact, exciting course for GT4. So he had to build the track out of parts of the environment, at which he used real geo-information like the hight. He drove 150 kilometers with the camera, which was quite tiresome. Problem was, that there wasn't any toilet or water or let alone a kiosk (laughs).

PtP: What aspect of GT4 are you currently working on, and when will the game be finished?

KY: Right now, we're working on cabriolet-variants: A cabriolet requires a lot of polygons, but it would be nice for a player to be have the choice of whether to drive with the roof open or not. Concerning the release, the only thing I can say is that we are trying to bring the game out in Japan, the U.S., and Europe almost simultaneously.

PtP:
Please complete the following sentence: "When improved hardware like the PlayStation 3 is released...

KY: ...we will have more work, as we will have more polygons available to work with and we will have to use them."

Last edited:
Oh how wrong I was! You had to change quite a lot! :scared::lol:

My English is indeed not as good as I thought, oh well.:dopey:

p.s. When you've finished all the editing, I'll erase my original post. (for the moderators)

No, no, no...your English is fine. Do not erase the original post, as I really didn't do do more than a little rearranging within the sentences. I have a little understanding of how some languages form their sentence structures through inflection (German, Arabic, etc.), so I simply cleaned it up for clarity in English. Inflection is a lot of fun, but plays a bit with your head when translating to a more word order based language, such as English.

I'd just leave your post as is, especially since it is the reference point for my edit and post in general.

In the end, I depend on you to inform me if the meaning is as intended. Writing (which you do so well) and translating are 2 different beasts, so don't beat yourself up over a few of ambiguous sentences. Compare your own writing with the translation and you will see what I mean.

I would echo TouringDevotee's remarks, translating is a unique beast at times.

Great job by all, and thanks for all the info. I'm very much enjoying reading these! :) 👍

No, no, no...your English is fine. Do not erase the original post, as I really didn't do do more than a little rearranging within the sentences. I have a little understanding of how some languages form their sentence structures through inflection (German, Arabic, etc.), so I simply cleaned it up for clarity in English. Inflection is a lot of fun, but plays a bit with your head when translating to a more word order based language, such as English.

I'd just leave your post as is, especially since it is the reference point for my edit and post in general.

In the end, I depend on you to inform me if the meaning is as intended. Writing (which you do so well) and translating are 2 different beasts, so don't beat yourself up over a few of ambiguous sentences. Compare your own writing with the translation and you will see what I mean.

Thx. But still, if you edited everything already and therefore posted it, then there is no real reason to have the same posted somewhere else again (my original post). But I will think about it.

I would echo TouringDevotee's remarks, translating is a unique beast at times.

Great job by all, and thanks for all the info. I'm very much enjoying reading these! :) 👍

I'm glad you enjoyed it! 👍

Credit to Alex p., Thank You. [Transcribed & Translated from German by Alex P.]
Gran Turismo 3 Special:
Part 1: Music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBm8BcXptUU
Gran Turismo 3 Special:
Part 1: Music
[Transcribed & Translated from German by Alex P.]

[Name Source: Game Credits, Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec - Listed under: "Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, Production" as "Producer."]

Sean Kelly: My name is Sean Kelly and I'm the European producer of the whole Gran Turismo series. Basically I look after all what concerns Europe. So when the game in finalized in Japanese, we localize it for the European market.
Part of that is finding new songs for the game.

In GT3 there are six bands, mostly new bands. Two of those are Grand Theft Audio and Overseer, and I think that they will be quite successful. For many of these bands it's a great opportunity to be featured in the game, as they will be heard by a greater audience; the same people buying GT are also the same people buying their records. Like that, players will hear their songs many times, instead of hearing them only once or twice in the radio.

Feeder was one of the first bands to actually be interested in being featured in the game. Their management was very helpful, their label was also rather helpful. They're touring right now through Europe, and there, they are also playing some songs, which are featured in the game. So the timing was rather perfect for Feeder and the game as well.

[Now we see the band Feeder, and the band members are introducing themselves]

Taka: My name is Taka [Taka Hirose]
Grant: Grant [Grant Nicholas]
Jon: Jonathan Henry Lee [Jon Lee, d. 2002]

[Members of Feeder mention what instruments they play]

Taka: Bass
Jon: I play the drums
Grant: I sing and play guitar

[Phone rings]

Jon:
Hello? Hey listen...we're doin' this "Gran Turismo" thing right now, okay? Okay.

[Hangs up]

Grant: We've been touring and I was working on some B-sides. We are just back from our Europe tour; a lot of promo work like TV, etc. I think it was our publisher who sent in our songs, and some of them were chosen because of their energy and dynamism. That's what they tell us anyway, and so they used them for the first Gran Turismo.

Five songs were used, which were from our mini-album, Swim. That was really great. Yeah I mean it's always great to hear your own music in a game, you know. We saw it once in Japan, when the game wasn't even finished yet, so we got an early preview.

Taka: Well, the graphics are quite impressive. I like racing games in general. GT1 and GT2 are already pretty fantastic, that's why I hope that GT3 will be even better.

Grant: Erhm, I'm pretty oldschool. I still like space-invaders. Of all the ones here, I played the least, but I'm watching the others play it. I tried it a few times, but I'm only doing this when nobody's watching, because I'm not that good at it.

Maybe I should spend more time playing video games, [as] it really helps to relax, it takes a lot of stress off you; it takes your mind off in other areas.

Gran Turismo 3 Special: Part One - Part Two - Part Three - Part Four

Last edited:
Gran Turismo 3 Special:
Part 2: The History of Gran Turismo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i9qLMWqx_U
Gran Turismo 3 Special:
Part 2: The History of Gran Turismo

Kazunori Yamauchi (creator of Gran Turismo): When I imagined really properly for the first time, how "Gran Turismo" should look like, I was 15 years old. Two things are important: realistic driving and realistic cars; these are the basis of Gran Turismo.

Gran Turismo was my first game after I came to Sony. Well, I passed in some 100 game-concepts, the first one was Gran Turismo. There wasn't a single racing game where you could experience realistic driving and cars. It was in 1992 and at first it was rejected, so I started on my own with everything I could get my hands on.

As a 3 man team, we first developed Motor Toon Grand Prix. As a racing game it looks very cartoony, but actually the game was very serious. It became the first game published by the newly formed "Sony Computer Entertainment."

There was an industry competition to be the first team capable to program a high-quality game between the release of the prototype hardware and the actual public release. We achieved exactly that.

Motor Toon Grand Prix was not ideal to me, but you could say that it was some sort of a pre-Gran Turismo. The PlayStation was the first commercial hardware using 3D-polygon technology, and if it didn't have this kind of technology, I wouldn't be able to even dream of a game like Gran Turismo. We wanted that the cars look as cool as they can.

In the recent build of Gran Turismo, we have achieved some technical triumphs, of which the most recognizable is that you can now see real reflections on the cars, which was absolutely impossible with PlayStation 1.

We've always respected the individuality of each car and every car has been passionately recreated. Before the release of Gran Turismo 1, we studied the physical characteristics of engines for 3 long years. We didn't know if it was possible at all, but we were convinced that we should do it. Two years passed between GT1 and GT2. With Gran Turismo 1, we had achieved 90% of that what we'd wanted; the rest we achieved with Gran Turismo 2.

During the two year development of GT2, we made some improvements, for example we sped it up by 25% and we also now included cars from around the world. GT1 sales in Europe and the USA were much better than we had anticipated, so as a result, GT2 was designed for the whole world, including more cars and such.

When GT2 was finished, we had been working on GT3 for a year, beginning development with two teams, and I believe...we used 90% of the console's potential; we've worked very hard. Further enhancements would result in a considerably longer development time. During our work, we made new discoveries every day, resulting in the motto: "I didn't even know this was possible!" We really wanted to include everything that was possible with the PlayStation 2, and so we did.

A truly realistic car simulation, one like I had initially wanted it, was not realizable with the PlayStation 1. Finally, with GT3, we can transmit a real "GT"-feeling, as Gran Turismo was supposed to have.

I love cars and every type of racing game and so it was rather easy to develop Gran Turismo. I created what I had in mind and I wanted to realize my dream.

Last edited:
Gran Turismo 3 Special:
Part 3: Twin Ring Motegi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp8dEbifvto
Gran Turismo 3 Special:
Part 3: Twin Ring Motegi

Gran Turismo 3 special part 3: Twin Ring Motegi

Narrator: Motegi, this is where our team, Polyphony Digital, is heading to find inspiration for new ideas. After production nears completion, the team wants to experience a bit of real driving here. We spoke to Kazunori Yamauchi about his love for motorsports.

Kazunori Yamauchi: When I was 9 or 10 years old, the Japanese Gran Prix took place. Although I was only in elementary school, I followed everything on TV. That really amazed me because this was the first time I saw motorsport of a world-class quality. Back then, there were drivers like Mario Andretti and that probably was my first experience with motorsport.

Today, I am fascinated by everything, related to motorsport, especially Formula 1 of course. I'm also a big fan of WRC Rally, although I haven't trid rally-driving yet, though I once drove on gravel roads.

After GT1's completion, our team headed to a real racing track. We practised a lot with the game and therefore had many ideas of how real race car driving works. When I finally hit the racing track, I was simply amazed how similar it was to my imagination.

Right now, I'm driving production cars on racing tracks. I've never driven Formula cars. I drive cars like the Lancer Evolution, GTR and such; they're setup for race tracks and this is where I drive them. When you want to drive normal production cars on race tracks, you need to adjust there durability and so you must adjust parts such as the engine or the cooling-system. There are a lot of changes to my Lancer Evolution, but it's not tuned "radically."

I have been to LeMans twice now, and I'm planning to go there again this year. When I have the time to do so, which is rarely the case, I also watch Grand Touring and other types of racing. In Europe, I would like to drive at Spa-Francorchamps or the Grand Prix in Monaco. I have driven the actual racetrack a dozen times already, without the race actually taking place, but I would like to do so during an actual race.

I have also thought about getting a racing-license but have not had the time for it. As we have now finished GT3, I would like to drive in races similar to the One Make Races, in Japan. They conditions are similar and the cars are not so overpowered, for example, the Beetle Cup or the Elise Cup.

When my interest in motorsport began, Ayrton Senna was a star, but unfortunately he died, however I believe him to be the first to show me just how much fun motorsport could be.

Of today's drivers, I think Juan Pablo Montoya is great. I have met Tommy Mäkinnen a few times, first with GT1 and then with GT3. We were both having practice drives and I was only 0.2 seconds faster than him. This was his very first drive with GT3 and he was only 0.2 seconds slower than me. I was really gobsmacked. Mäkinnen had so much fun with the game, that he actually forgot that it was a game. He asked if it would be possible to make some changes to the car, like stiffing up the rear wheel-suspension. He was speaking as we would of a real car, and so we realized that questions like, "Is it now still a game or not?", were absolutely futile. We also noticed that in GT, he drove exactly as he would with a real car. That really made me happy.

Last edited:
GameStar Magazine
GameStar (magazine)
page 47

01/2001

GameStar: Gran Turismo 2000 was announced 18 months ago. Why will it be released so late?

Kazunori Yamauchi: Up until the end of the last year I was occupied with Gran Turismo 2, only after that could concentrate on GT2000. Before the game itself, we had to develop certain tools in order to make use of the PlaySation 2's hardware. Most of the time was spent modeling cars and tracks. For one car, it would take 1-2 weeks, a difficult task because for me, the details are important; in GT2 only one day was needed.

GS: How are the graphics different from the previous games?

KY: Every car now consists of 2000-4000 polygons, but in the old games there were only were some 300.

GS: Why are not all luxury brands represented in the game?

KY: For the car models we had contacted every available manufacturer, but some firms, as Ferrari, already had exclusive contracts with other game studios. When I contacted the manufacturers, I asked them [how they felt] about damage to the cars. American companies didn't really care but the Japanese and European ones were against it. I will allow the cars to emit smoke and have the handling-characteristics affected after a crash, however aside from that, [effects such as] light-reflections will play a big role in GT2000; they look highly impressive on the night stages.

GS: What are the biggest differences now concerning gameplay?

KY: The concept of different race-classes and tuning options is the same, however the old PlayStation was overtaxed by GT's simulation aspects; realistically, players could only adjust the speed and the acceleration of their cars. In this game however, I really made an effort to simulate suspension-physics as well as I could, especially when in turns, and you can now see how the suspension and the G-forces work. Finally, the player is able to experiment with the car's handling, adding new parts in order to improve the handling characteristics.

Last edited:
Credit to Alex p., Thank You. [Transcribed & Translated from German by Alex P.] [EDITING]
PSM2 Magazine
Please open the bonnet! In chat with Kazunori Yamauchi
PSM2 Magazine
Please open the bonnet! In chat with Kazunori Yamauchi
page 90-94

06/2001

As a sidenote: The interview team, while being there, spotted a GT3 disc, which said "B-spec", well we know now how that turned out.

PSM2: Mr. Yamauchi, how long do you work now in the game-business? Did something change and what are your hopes and desires for the future?

Kazunori Yamauchi:
I'm almost for 9 years now in this business and as far as I'm concerned, not much has changed since then. I would find it desirable if the games-industry stays at least established as it is now, next to the movie and music industry.

PSM2: What did inspire you to design a game like "Gran Turismo"?

KY: Already with 15 I imagined my ideal of a racing title. 1993 I could finally fulfill this dream. We had optimal conditions to work on GT1 back then. We use the capabilities of the PlayStation 2 rather well and that brings me a bit closer to my ideal of a racing game.

PSM2: All those delays of the game dissapointed many fans, though they probably are the result of your persuit for perfectionisme. What can the waiting fan hope for, considering the longer development time?

KY: I spent a serious amount of time on GT3, eventually, the game is supposed to be a true jewel-not some thing you just buy because there is nothing better out yet. We will not only outgun the pervious titles. The more time we invest into the game, the more fun the consumer has, it's that simple.

PSM2: The game would have been without a doubt the perfect launch title.

KY: We just worked too long on Gran Turismo 2. That of course influenced the development of GT3. Of course even I would like to release the game earlier. But when you have a certain quality standard in mind, you do not want to do half baked things.

PSM2: How many people are working right now on GT3?

KY: Our basic team consists of 30 people. When we add the support, the number is at 70.

PSM2: After we saw pictures of the rally and night courses, we asked ourselfes how many tracks there will be. What is your favourite track?

KY: You just have to wait and see. My favourite course is the wet track. We played with the idea to add such a course since GT1 but have only been able to realize it in the current game.

PSM2: The wet track looks phanomenal indeed. But why are there no weather and daytime changes during endurance races?

KY: Our opinion is that it would distract too much from the game. A sunset is not the problem but it is still a question of performance. We rather concentrate all the power to pre-set settings, in order to display them as realistic as possible.

PSM2: Would the power of the ps2 not be enough to implement a track-editor?

KY: At the moment we are not thinking about this but it could be possible in the future, yes.

PSM2: What is the biggest improvement over the older games?

KY: We doubled the framerate, which results in significantly smoother driving. GT2 ran with 30 frames, so there was a lag of 1/30 of a second between the game and the player. We halfed this time now, you can drive the cars now far more precisely. We can calculate throttle, brake and the suspension more often.

PSM2: And the cars improved also a lot from GT2000 untill now.

KY: Yes, we added some new features. Real-Time-Environment-Mapping is only one example. During day this effect might not be all too spectacular but at night it gets far more interesting. For the cars, we simply have far more processing power now and can support with the CPU. The handling should be much better. In comparison to GT2, we wanna make big steps. The render-engine is able to calculate up to 10 million polygons per second, depending on how much effects we're using. The amount will certainly increase in future but for now we are concentrating on the lighting effects.

PSM2: What will change gameplay-wise?

KY: The gameplay of a good racing game has to have many aspects. Hard fighted duells, the feeling of obtaining an expensive and special car, many tuning options etc., etc., etc. We improved all of those aspects. The cars handle better, look better and you can tune them better. But the magic moment happens still, when the player picks up the controller and notices how realistically the car behaves and despite this fact, is still very driveable. You can not really describe this feeling, words are not enough, you gotta experience it.

PSM2: Will you ever convince the manufacturers to allow some extensive damage?

KY: Yes. But there are still two big problems: The crashes themselfes should be as realistic as possible and affect the cars realistically but we need the agreement of all the manufacturers.

PSM2: Do you think it is possible to develop a realistic racing game without damage?

KY: No. You got to be carefull with an implementation of such a feature. We try to make everything almost perfect, so if we will ever have a damage model, then we want it to be almost perfect. After a light impact, the car gets some scratches and dents, after a heavy impact, it sets on fire and the race is over. A half baked solution for this is out of question. I do not want a car, which still drives after some heavy impacts. Surely you can help a turned-over car, but nothing more!

PSM2: Can you tell us something about the i-link function?

KY: With that, six players can play the game at the same time. For that, they need six PlayStation 2's and six Tvs.

PSM2: The game was not even supposed to be called GT3 because you didn't see it as a true sequel. Why did you change your mind?

KY: The plans once were very different indeed. The game was supposed to launch with the Japanese PS2 with 50 cars and 4 tracks. We would have released it as some sort of a big demo, then the name GT2000 would actually match. When I worked on the game, I wanted to pack in as much as possible. Now we're at 150 cars and 15 tracks and can call it Gran Turismo 3 with a clear conscience.

PSM2: In the past you gave players some alternatives to the standard gamepad. Is the new Force-Feedback-Wheel a dream come true?

KY: I was always of the opinion that a wheel without ffb isn't a decent solution. The game improved much, so there is also a need of improvement with the controller. The ffb-wheel is the first controller, which really satisfied us.

PSM2: In which form are the analog-capabilities of the Dual Shock2 controller used?

KY: Throttle as well as brake can be adjusted analogely now, with the handling that was already possible in the older games.

PSM2: What did the new hardware enable you to do?

KY: Better graphics, better sound, you can see that immediatly. "Behind the curtain" we have immense possibilities for the calculations of game-influencing parameters. The handling represents that quite obviously. I think there never has been any other racing game with such an authentic handling, which at the same time was so accessible. That is why the players will learn to drive pretty quickly, I am very sure of that.

PSM2: During an earlier interview you played with the thought of including muscle cars and drag-races, but this didn't happen, why?

KY: Right. Regarding this, back then we had a lot of requests but there simply wasn't enough time. I still would like to have this feature included very much but right now we just gotta set the priorities somewhere else!

PSM2: Are all your favourite cars in the game?

KY: No, I still would like to have Ferraris and Lamborghinis in the game. But we had this problem forever. Other companies secured the licenses.

PSM2: How hard is it to virtualize the specific little model-modifications of the manufacurers?

KY: Hard. You can not only rely on some data from a magazine. The data has to be updated very often because the manufacrurers are faster with their updates than us digitalizing them.

PSM2: Which car was the most hard to model?

KY: The popular a car is, the harder it gets. Everyone has an exact imgage of the car in his head and expects then a model, which comes very close to this exact image. Though, all the modelling is rather tough to be honest.

PSM2: What do you think about the other PS2 racing games?

KY: I rarely think about them. When GT1 launched, there were some good racing games out there, but GT brought some new life to this genre and now other developers are rather thinking more about our games, than it would be the other way around.

PSM2: Did you have a look on Colin Mc Rae Rally 2 or Sega Rally while developing GT3's rally mode?

KY: I always try to play every racing game for at least one hour. But there I am concentrating only on gameplay, not the things around it.

PSM2: Of course we got to mention Gran Turismo 4.

KY: I hope of course that I will be working on that as soon as possible. But it's not the time for that yet, I can't tell you any details right now. We still have a lot of work to do.

PSM2: Will it be an online game?

KY: I would at least be ready to try something like this.

PSM2: You once said that Polyphony would like to be also successfull in other genres. Can you tell us something about that?

KY: We think about that at the moment but we are not sure when the works on a new title will begin.

PSM2: And what are you planning to do right after you finished GT3?

KY: At the moment we're still quite busy with GT3. Wether we'll do a RPG, an action-adventure or another racing game, we just don't know yet. Since the beginning of GT2's development untill now, we had no real vacation, so I think it is at the time to take some longer holidays, when we are finished with Gran Turismo 3.

Last edited:
Another one-GT5.

http://www.computerbild.de/artikel/...mo-5-Interview-Kazunori-Yamauchi-4726515.html

date: 11/29/2009

Computer Bild Spiele-online site

Headline: GT5 is simply difficult to develop.

Computer Bild Spiele (English:Computer Picture Games): Right now some 150 people are working on Gran Turismo 5 and still it isn't finished, why?

Kazunori Yamauchi: GT5 is simply very difficult to develop.

CBS: Why?

KY: The dimensions of this game are huge, it really is simply too big. It is so complex, so enormous in it's scale.

CBS: Is GT5 too "ambitious"? Are you too ambitious?

KY: We gotta meet a certain standard. The bar for a "Gran Turismo", is as known, very high.

CBS: Isn't there a real danger that players will get too tired of waiting and just buy another racing game instead.?

KY: That very well may be but there is nothing that will let us develop the game any faster. It's not that we get slower during the process. We give our best. I didn't have a single day off this year and still the game isn't finished.

CBS: Gran Turismo is one the biggest franchises for the PlayStation. Does not Kaz Hirai often knock on the door and asks you to get the game done already, so more PS3 consoles can be sold?

KY: Well, he's not all too often here but we definatly are under some certain pressure. And we're not doing this for him really, it's more an obligation towards the firm Sony, which backed me up and is making my life, as it is, possible.

CBS: Is it true that you do not play any other racing games but rather let yourself inspire by real motorsport?

KY: Basically this is true. But our people here buy all those new games, test them, discuss the features and differences compared to our game. And as much as I know, the others let themselfes inspire by our work, not the other way around. So that is why I believe that most of our inspiration does not come from others work. I believe, the most important thing is, to drive the cars in real life and to participate in real races-that is where I get much of my inspiration from.

CBS: Are you almost obligated to set new standards and to recreate reality as much as you can?

KY: I believe, our drive is not really to set standards. We slowly believe that we created a very different game- and at the beginning we didn't even think that there would be so many people interested in our games. We work to set our own standards, while doing that, we do not look too much at the others.

CBS: In your eyes, what is the biggest evolutionary step of GT5?

KY: Pretty much all aspects of the game are improved. If you wanna make it simple: The physics, the sound, the online features, everything has been improved.

CBS: Why is it so important to implement various online-features in a modern racing-game?

KY: Originally games were played by many people, like football or baseball. And what happens during the play there, is obviously communication between the players. Videogames, a rather young medium, is also a rather rare format, where players play on their own. I believe that games with online-functionality turn to their original state, where players can meet each other on a course, show each other their cars, drive a time practise, come back to the friends for a little chat-these are normal things you would also do in real life and which have not been possible in GT5, untill now. That makes a big difference. I believe, it is more about a natural evolution of things, I wouldn't really call it a totally new function.

CBS: The demaga model seems not to be very real, why is that?

KY: The main reason is that it is not finished yet, we are still working on it.

CBS: So can we expect true-to-life crashes?

KY: That depends on how far you want to go with it. I've seen real crashes, where cars were compressed to a hight of 30 centimeters, we can not go that far. But we want to do it as realistic as possbile.

CBS: While we're talking about new features-how does it look with weather and daytime changes?

KY: If you look back at the history of racing games, you will find out that already in the 80's there were some, which had these features. But when we developped GT in 1997, we didn't really care about such features. We experiment on a daily bases with lighting and weather conditions and such. When we had to, we probably would be able to implement them already tomorrow. But if these features are included or not, is not the important here. The question is, wether this feature highers or lowers the overall quality of the game. Exactely this is what we're looking at, before we decide to implement sth. new.

CBS: In other words, you do not really want to say wether these features are in the game or not?

KY: We experiment with it. I want to emphasise again, that the quality of a game does not depend on the amount of features that are included.
We rather concentrate on the overall quality of our games, we are very carefull, when it comes to that.

CBS: When you would not have been such a motorhead, which game-genre would you then design?

KY: Before I made the first Gran Turismo, I sent in some 100 concepts for various videogames, from adventures, to RPG's, to puzzle games, pretty much all genres were represented. But when I had to choose...recently I thought about making a game, which is about life, death and the general being of the human, with it's meanings.

CBS: Why are there so many bicycles in your studio?

KY: Everybody here likes bicycles.

CBS: Ah, so...they're there just like that?

KY: They are also being used. Right now, there is a huge bicylce-hype in Japan, race-and mountain bicycles are very popular.

CBS: So, can we expect a "Tour-de-France-Game" from you soon?

KY: Yes, that would be also sth. I would like to do, having Lance Armstrong here...

Tremendous work Touring Devotee, Alex P. and Neal for transcripting these interviews. Great read while I'm at school and keeps me awake as well! Great job and thanks to all of you! 👍

Tremendous work Touring Devotee, Alex P. and Neal for transcripting these interviews. Great read while I'm at school and keeps me awake as well! Great job and thanks to all of you! 👍

Thank you too, as you're doing right now this GT4-making of thing?

Back