GT Interviews Thread

PS3 News
A Chat with Kazunori Yamauchi, Creator of Gran Turismo
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/06/18/a-chat-with-kazunori-yamauchi-creator-of-gran-turismo/
A Chat with Kazunori Yamauchi, Creator of Gran Turismo

PS3 News
by Jeff Rubenstein (Social Media Manager) and James Gallagher
6-18-2010

With a November 2nd release date now on the horizon for Gran Turismo 5, our dashing European counterpart James Gallagher sat down with Polyphony Digital‘s Kazunori Yamauchi yesterday.

Take it away, James!

[James Gallagher]

While the new Gran Turismo 5 trailer at the SCEA E3 press conference was still fresh in the mind, a select few journalists were invited to a behind closed doors presentation from the father of GT, Kazunori Yamauchi, at the Los Angeles Conference Centre.

We were shown the Lounge feature, which gives every player a dedicated area to host their car collection and results, and the online lobbies where you and a group of friends can race, perform test laps, chat and watch other people driving. The floor then opened for questions with my favourite being when someone asked if Kazunori had visited every location used in the game.

“I have to be moved by something in one of my games so I have visited every location used in the game, either personally or for work” he replied.

When the room was clear he sat down with just me to answer a few more questions, starting with what he was trying to put across with the new trailer.

“I think first and foremost it’s the quality of the visuals and that cool style that Gran Turismo is known for. There was also a part showing some of work we have been doing with the Red Bull racing team. We wanted to show people that we are communicating with the real [racing] world on a lot of different things.”

I then asked how much community feedback had shaped the game’s development.

“The Gran Turismo community gives us a great deal of courage and we have already had a lot of positive feedback from them on our new trailer. That gives our staff the drive to keep getting better.

The playable build here at E3 is designed to show people as many of the game’s features as possible in a short space of time. It’s made so that you can see the tracks, the new physics and some of the new visual effects that we’ve been working hard on. The tracks include Rome, Madrid and the Top Gear Test Track, which many of our fans have been asking for.”

We then moved onto stereoscopic 3D, which Gran Turismo 5 will support, it was announced on Tuesday. I wanted to know at which point in the game’s development he had decided to include the feature.

“The 3D feature was almost complete two years ago, actually. We could see that it was in that natural flow of technology and where things were heading. Discussions with Sony regarding 3D technology began more than three years ago. More recently we have spoken with Evolution Studios, who have put a lot of work into stereoscopic 3D, about things like video formats.

Because Gran Turismo 5 is built to run at 60 frames per second it was easy for us to implement 3D. It’s quite difficult to convert a game that runs at 30 frames per second to 3D.”

There ended our short conversation and we parted ways. As always when I meet Kazunori, I left wondering which car he drove back to the hotel.

AutoWeek
Six questions for the creator of Gran Turismo
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20090603/CARNEWS/906039991
Six questions for the creator of Gran Turismo

By MARK VAUGHN
AutoWeek
6/03/2009

When you are granted an audience with Kazunori Yamauchi, godfather of Gran Turismo, you take it. We spoke with his excellency in a suite overlooking downtown Los Angeles, where traffic on the twisted freeways below looked nothing at all like the thrilling tracks of that iconic game.

AW: When did you make the first Gran Turismo?

KY: I started in the latter half of 1992.

AW: How hard was it to make that first game?

KY: It took five years. In those five years, we could not see the end. I would wake up at work, go to sleep at work. It was getting cold. so I knew it must be winter. I estimate I was home only four days a year.

AW: With advances in technology, is it easier to make video games now?

KY: It’s more difficult now because it has become more complex. But the scale of the games has changed. The first one took seven people five years. If you were to try and do it today, it would take 10 times that many.

AW: Do you have 10 times the number working on GT5?

KY: We have 20 times that number.

AW: Would you say you are a perfectionist?

KY: We only do what we believe in. We do not hold ourselves to a time scale. We try to release something that we are satisfied with.

AW: When is Gran Turismo 5 coming?

KY: We made the announcement today that [the handheld game player PSP GO] is coming out Oct. 1 [with Gran Turismo 5 on it]. We will give the release date of the Gran Turismo 5 soon.

Edmunds Inside Line
Kazunori Yamauchi: Gran Turismo 5 About 90% Finished, GT Academy Might Come to U.S.
http://blogs.insideline.com/straigh...-90-finished-gt-academy-might-come-to-us.html

A little bit of a mystery to be aware of regarding this article. It says that it is by Erin Riches, but then is signed off "Alistair Weaver, Contributor." Just so that you're aware and that there is no mistake in credit.
Kazunori Yamauchi: Gran Turismo 5 About 90% Finished,
GT Academy Might Come to U.S.

By Erin Riches
Edmunds Inside Line
April 30, 2010

Kazunori Yamauchi, the creator of the extraordinarily successful Gran Turismo franchise, has revealed more details about its fifth iteration, which has been subject to extraordinary delays. Originally scheduled to be launched in March, its introduction has now been pushed until later in the year (last we heard it was like November or December).

"Gran Turismo 5 is about 90 percent finished," Kazunori-san told Inside Line in an exclusive interview. "There are currently around 140 people working on the project."

The developer claimed the driving simulator would not be released until it "satisfied everyone's wishes and then exceeded them." He admitted that not everything he had hoped for will be included in the game but wouldn't elaborate on what was missing. Instead, he insisted that GT5 marked the most significant step forwards since the original game was launched in 1997 and that the introduction of online gaming had, "dramatically changed the way the game is designed."

Kazunori-san was speaking at the Snetterton Circuit in the UK, where he was attending the final of the 2010 GT Academy, a competition run by Sony and Nissan in Europe to turn 'virtual' gamers into real life racers. Over a million people originally entered the online time trial and after a series of additional heats, Jordan Tresson (pictured above left with Kazunori) from France has been declared the overall winner. He will now race a 420-horsepower Nissan 370Z GT4 in the 2010 European GT Cup Series. (GT Planet has good video coverage of competitors driving race-prepped 370Zs -- real ones -- at the academy.)

This is a concept of which Kazunori-san is particularly proud and he's keen to run a similar competition in the U.S. All we've gotten thus far, you'll remember, is an online time trial competition, with a couple spectator tickets to the Indy 500 the grand prize.

"Normally, video games are a closed genre," he said. "If you are good at a golf or soccer game, it does not mean you can be a pro golfer or soccer player, but Gran Turismo is different. If you are really good at Gran Turismo, you can be a really good racecar driver."

As if to prove the point, Kazunori-san recently completed a four-hour race in a Lexus IS-F at the Nurburgring Nordschleife in preparation for his entry into the Nurburgring 24 Hours race on May 15-16.

The Gran Turismo franchise has now sold over 53 million copies worldwide and Kazunori-san explained that his original inspiration was his father's 1967 Nissan Skyline. His first car was a 1982 Toyota Corolla, which belonged to an ex-girlfriend. Then in 1993 he bought a R32 Skyline GT-R, which he tuned to 320 horsepower and fitted with a quick-shift gearbox.

"But I had a high-speed spin and the front of the car disintegrated," he admitted. Today his personal garage features an R35 Nissan GT-R, a Honda S2000 and a Ford GT. -- Alistair Weaver, Contributor

Last edited:
AutoWeek
SEMA: Pursuit of perfection keeps Gran Turismo 5 in the pits
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20101103/SEMA/101109948
SEMA: Pursuit of perfection keeps Gran Turismo 5 in the pits

By JONATHAN WONG
AutoWeek
11/03/2010

Nov. 2 was the latest release date announced for Gran Turismo 5, but it has sadly come and gone with still no game on store shelves. Needless to say, frustration in the gaming and automotive circles is high, and Sony hasn't come forward with a new date yet.

In a bid to get some answers, we caught up with Mr. Gran Turismo himself, Kazunori Yamauchi, who is in Las Vegas for the eighth-annual Gran Turismo awards during the SEMA show. We talked about the future of the Gran Turismo franchise, his cars, the reasons for all the game delays, and we asked the most important question of all: When will GT5 be released?

We know you're here for SEMA and that you're giving out the Gran Turismo awards, this being the eighth-annual one. Can you tell us how this award came about?

First off, all of us at Polyphony have a lot of curiosity. The start of it all was really us wondering how we could get involved in a show like SEMA, which is really one of the biggest automotive shows in the world.

There are five categories in the awards including best hot rod, Asian import, European import, domestic and truck/SUV. Then it's your job to pick the best in show from those five. What's the most important thing you look for when picking the best in show?

Looking back at the cars that have won in the past, the criteria for a car to win the Gran Turismo award is not necessarily speed. It hasn't always been the fastest car that has won. I think what's more important is the story behind the car, the background and the story that caused the car to take shape. It's really hard to express in a few words because when you look at something that is really nice, it kind of comes to you.

So this year's winner is going to be in the next Gran Turismo installment, which I'm presuming will be Gran Turismo 6. It's probably too late for Gran Turismo 5, right?

Right.

You have this award at SEMA and you sponsor the 24 Hours of Nürburgring. Gran Turismo has become more than a video game now. What's next for the brand?

We love cars and have the utmost respect for the people who make cars. What motivates me is what makes people who make cars happier and thing that cause them to be energized.

It's been many years since the first Gran Turismo on PlayStation One. When you were working on the original game, did you ever think that this game would get as big as it today and have the die-hard following?

I didn't expect it at all. It really is an honor.

What's the most special thing about the series to you?

It's hard to say, but I think it's that strive for perfection that it boils down to.

That strive for perfection is probably a tough part of the job, but a lot of people look at you and see that you play with cars and are making a video game. A lot of kids growing up dream of being video-game designers, designing cars or driving cars for a living. But out of all the things, what's the most stressful part, or what you consider the worst part of your job?

I think video games being developed now, the scale is getting bigger and bigger. We have a 140 staff at Polyphony Digital working on Gran Turismo, and if you include all the external people involved in the development process, there's several times more than that. With that many people involved, it's quite hard to keep the project on a single track during that development process. That's something that is hard to balance.

We're all car guys here, and I know you have an impressive collection of cars. What's your latest car purchase in the past year?

I actually haven't purchased anything in the last year. I'll think about what I want next after GT5 is out the door. One thing that has happened is that one of my Ford GTs was being tuned over the past few years and it was just completed a couple of months ago.

There's been a lot of build up to Gran Turismo 5, and one of the things you did was work with Adrian Newey on the Red Bull X1 Prototype. What do you have to do to get it in the game? Please don't say we have to complete 100 percent of the game before we get it.

Gran Turismo 5 has two different modes of play. One is the A-spec and one is the B-spec mode. In A-spec mode, you are the actual driver behind the wheel, and in B-spec mode, you are the director of a racing team where you nurture your drivers that race for you in the races. When you get to a certain level in either A-spec or B-spec, the X1 car will be available for people to try.

One interesting rumor out there is that there will be engine swaps. Any truth to that?

No, engine swaps, you can't do that.

Sorry, but we have to get to this. Nov. 2 was the last release date for Gran Turismo 5. What's the reason for the latest delay?

It was really to adjust it so it would be perfect. The first game that I made was Motor Toon Grand Prix for the first PlayStation. The year and a half that it was in development, the last three months as the release date approached, myself and my staff were getting three hours of sleep a day to try and get the game done. Near the end, the people from Sony came to our development studio and told us it was good enough and that we could release it. At the time, I probably wasn't thinking very clearly, being as exhausted as I was, and I talked myself into thinking this was good enough and it went to release.

But all the things I thought were not enough yet, the users said the exact same thing when the game came out. That was something I regretted very much when that happened because I knew it was coming. And that happened at the beginning of my career, and it was something I vowed would never happen again.

Do we have a new release date?

There should be an announcement sometime soon.

Will we be playing it by Christmas?

I think so.

I know you're trying to push GT5 out the door. Is development underway on GT6?

Yeah.

Can you give us any idea on what we can expect for GT6?

It's not something that we can talk that lightly on. It took 2,000 days to get all the ideas that went into GT5. It's just too early to be talking about GT6.

Game Informer
Gran Turismo 5
Updated Gran Turismo 5 Impressions
http://gameinformer.com/games/gran_turismo_5/b/ps3/archive/2009/09/30/preview.aspx

The quotes are interesting, especially the portion about lithium ion batteries, so I have emboldened them for your reference.
Gran Turismo 5
Updated Gran Turismo 5 Impressions

by Jeff Cork
Game Informer
September 29, 2009

The Gran Turismo series has a reputation for delivering high-end, sim-style racing to PlayStation owners since its debut in 1997. It’s also known for being a little tough for novices to crack and for giving players stop-gap releases between major versions. That last bit hasn’t changed – PlayStation 3 owners already have played around with the Gran Turismo HD demo and Gran Turismo 5: Prologue before the 2010 release of the latest full version. When it comes to accessibility, however, Gran Turismo 5 looks like it could be the entry point casual players have been waiting for.

According to series producer Kazunori Yamauchi, the way that people play games has shifted in the past decade. Rather than devote a dozen undivided hours to a game in one sitting, he says players today now have text messaging and e-mail to distract them. With Gran Turismo 5, Yamauchi says he and his team are setting out to create a game that players can enjoy even if they have a limited amount of time to do so.

Cars have always been a huge part of the game, obviously, and Gran Turismo 5 has one of the most impressive garages we’ve seen. There are 950 cars in the game, covering everything from classics to cutting-edge race cars, with plenty of entries in the middle. Perhaps one of the most interesting additions comes in the form of hybrid and electric vehicles (EVs), including the Tesla Roadster. “It’s an eco friendly game,” Yamauchi joked when we interviewed him in Polyphony Digital’s Tokyo offices.

Polyphony’s painstaking attention to detail is demonstrated by how much work his team has spent making sure EVs were accurately translated to the gaming world – from the way they sound to the way they handle. “You just hear road noise and the sound of the wind, really,” starts Yamauchi. “One thing about it is that Sony is one of the major producers of lithium ion batteries. We were in close contact with a team that develops those batteries, and we’ve taken in their knowledge and information, and that’s how we went forward with development. One of the most difficult things about the EV cars is the battery. Regarding the Toyota’s hybrid system, we’ve been in contact with them regarding their system for over five years now, so we have accumulated a good amount of knowledge from their side as well.”

Acquiring new vehicles has always been a huge part of Gran Turismo’s career mode, and we don’t expect to see many changes with that structure. What’s certain is that players who also play the PlayStation Portable version of the game will be able to fill their garages faster – up to 10 times faster, according to Yamauchi (those players won’t be able to access quite everything, however; 150 cars are exclusive to the PS3 version).

One of the few criticisms that people have had about Gran Turismo games is the lack of damage to the vehicle models. The cars are certainly gorgeous, but having them bounce around impervious to physical deformation was a blow to the realism that Polyphony so heavily invests in. That’s changed with the fifth major installment. Cars will take damage ranging from minor scuffs and dings to more drastic deformation such as doors and other major body parts being torn off completely. Such damage is more than cosmetic, too.

“The damage physics are going to be applied to things like a bent suspension arm, tires hitting the wheel wells of a car, deformation of the body affecting alignment, the loss of power to the engine,” says Yamauchi. “We’re actually still working on setting the sensitivity level of the damage. You can have it so if you have a single hit your car isn’t going to be able to be driven anymore. It’s a matter of adjustment.”

Gran Turismo 5 also marks the introduction of NASCAR and World Rally Championship racing to the series. Yamauchi says adding those popular forms of motor racing has been challenging. “The most difficult part is actually NASCAR,” he says. “Their rules are really, really complex. It’s almost the difference between soccer and American football. I’m not quite sure of just how much of NASCAR’s rules we’ll be able to implement into the game, but we’re going to try.”

As with Gran Turismo 4, you’re free to ogle your cars in photo mode. This time around, though, players will see their vehicles as never before. “In GT5, the level of detail on the tracks and the scenery – and also on the cars themselves – has just exponentially increased,” says Yamauchi. “I think the quality of the image that you can get is going to be not even comparable. We’re trying to make it so that at a minimum you’ll be able to take 8 megapixel pictures. We might be able to raise it up to about 20 megapixels, but I can’t promise anything.”

After seeing and playing the game at racing rigs scattered throughout Polyphony’s offices, we’re confident that Yamauchi and his team are at least going to be able to promise one thing: PlayStation owners are going to have a beautiful game on their hands when it ships in early 2010.

Credit to CoolColJ, Thank you.
Esquire (December 2010 Issue)
Telegraph

Gran Turismo 5 developer interview
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/video-games/8113479/Gran-Turismo-5-developer-interview.html
Gran Turismo 5 developer interview
Kazunori Yamauchi talks to Esquire magazine's Henry Farrar-Hockley about creating Gran Turismo 5, the ultimate driving game.

By Henry Farrar-Hockley
Telegraph
05 Nov 2010

Gran Turismo began as a simple ambition to create the perfect driving simulator; now, it’s evolved into one of the most successful video game series ever, and a social movement in its own right. Esquire caught up with Kazunori Yamauchi as he put the finishing touches to the latest chapter.

In a quiet backstreet of Tokyo’s Koto district stands a nondescript office building, its plain façade and modest signage giving little away as to the type of business conducted above its white-tiled lobby. Up on the second floor hides the headquarters of Polyphony Digital, a subsidiary of Sony Computer Entertainment, Inc (SCEI). It is the developing studio responsible for Gran Turismo, the most accurate driving series ever to grace a games console, and — with more than 56m copies sold - one of the primary contributors to the success of Sony’s PlayStation.

The series’ latest iteration, Gran Turismo 5, has taken five years to complete (some 27 months longer than initially anticipated) and cost around £38m to develop. It has been mooted that it will sell as many copies as Lady Gaga’s debut album (12m, give or take), only it will retail for four times as much - with a limited-edition version costing twice as much again.

Right now - which is to say, just after lunch on a Tuesday in late September - the floor is eerily quiet. It is the calm before the proverbial gale. Most of the employees are power-napping, either at home or in one of the four “hotel” rooms adjoining the far wall, or simply lying under their desks before their next shift begins in earnest. The only discernible sound is the gentle buzz emanating from the neon-lit servers occupying the centre-point of the office. Housing one of the most powerful computer clusters in Tokyo (no mean feat, that), the sealed area has its own preset cooling system. Hence, the blinking mainframe shares its secure storage bay with several crates of Veuve Clicquot.

Towards the back of the main office - past the piles of suitcases, reams of manufacturers’ paint samples and auto manuals and, inexplicably, a boxed George W Bush doll - is the recreation room, a double-height library crammed with car magazines, DVDs, massage chairs, keyboards, guitars, a kitchen and a treadmill. It is uninhabited save for a lone figure who sits reading, a fresh coffee at his. This is Kazunori Yamauchi, president of Polyphony Digital and creator of Gran Turismo. He smiles and rises to greet me.

Gran Turismo is a rare beast: a video game that’s popular with non-gamers. Its re-creation of a realistic driving environment with real-life car marques and models has endeared it to a worldwide audience of automobile buffs, young and old, male and female. The PlayStation-only game has spawned 13 official titles and spin-offs, and a host of lesser imitators engineered by rival software houses. At its heart, it is a driving game in which you compete to win money to collect more powerful, race-tuned cars.

“It is a game and it is a simulator,” Yamauchi explains, “but it’s definitely also something else. I sort of consider Gran Turismo to be a movement.”

This credo - of an unofficial club of like-minded individuals, fuelled by a passion for driving - is reflected in the series’ other unusual offering: its ability to improve your real-world road-handling skills. Its complex and realistic physics mean that gamers have to adhere to the laws of driving to succeed. Pinpoint braking times, clutch control and driving lines are the route to glory in this game - there are no cheat codes or predetermined button combinations: no shortcuts to the chequered flag.

In 2005, Jeremy Clarkson - a self-professed fan of the series - attempted, on an episode of Top Gear, to beat a lap time he’d set in the game at the Laguna Seca raceway in California. (His genuine attempt, at the wheel of a Honda NSX, proved to be 16 seconds short.) Yamauchi has since expressed his regard for the BBC show by including Top Gear’s Dunsfield Aerodrome circuit as a drivable track in Gran Turismo 5.

As we relocate to a bank of sofas= in Polyphony’s reception, I ask Yamauchi where this passion for all things four-wheeled originated. “Our family dealt in fine china, ceramics, that kind of thing,” he reflects. “In Japan, a fine china merchant would usually go from house to house. When I was three, I would often be the passenger in my father’s car, going with him on his deliveries to our customers. It was just natural for me to see the other cars on the road through the window. Children pick things up very quickly, and I soon learned the names of all the cars.”

He once wanted to be the next Jean-Henri Fabre - the French entomologist who inspired Charles Darwin. “I would read his books from cover to cover every day,” he says. Could Fabre’s fastidious attention to detail in recording nature have motivated the way he catalogues cars? “I never thought about it, but yes, that’s probably where this drive for detail began.”

Yamauchi was at school when he first established a rough concept for Gran Turismo. “I wanted to drive something real,” he remembers.“ That meant using existing cars, and the driving feeling and being real.” The initial problem when he graduated was convincing others of his huge vision. Sony recognised potential in him, but he wasn’t about to be granted the backing for such a grand project. So he focused on developing a game that would get him one step closer to his goal. The result was 1994’s Motor Toon Grand Prix, a cartoon-like outing in the vein of Nintendo’s Mario Kart, which was one of PlayStation’s launch titles. Although visually appealing to children (its Wacky Races-like characters include a spoiled princess and a bunch of Mafiosi penguins), its underlying driving physics appealed to adults.

The game was a success, and Yamauchi was given the green light to proceed with his bigger ambition. The first Gran Turismo took five years to realise, comprised 180 cars and 11 race tracks and sold 10.85m copies. “That was a major challenge,” he admits. “In that five years - it still hasn’t changed all that much - I hardly ever went home, and we had a very small team working very hard to finish it. It was a time period in which spring, summer, autumn, winter would simply roll by.”

In 1998, he founded Polyphony Digital with a team of just 10 employees. Now he has around 110, although this hasn’t eased his work/ life balance. Yamauchi’s routine typically involves 24 hours at his desk, followed by nine hours’ down time. “I operate on a 33-hour day,” he laughs. Relaxation, he adds, is fulfilled by reading voraciously. “It’s been like that since I was 10.”

The latest GT outing, released this month, will be the biggest yet. “I think people will feel like they’re taking on the unknown,” Yamauchi says. “It won’t be just about the graphics or the physics - I think they’re going to have an experience in which they see the true potential of this thing they’re playing with.” The game offers over 1,000 cars, some 70 tracks, the ability to take on 15 other players simultaneously online and - in keeping with the times - full 3D gameplay.

“I’ve seen Gran Turismo 5 running in 3D and it is stunning,” enthused Andrew Oliver, chief technical officer of British developer Blitz Games Studios, earlier this year. “It is a major step forward. It is gaming’s Avatar.”

Another addition is car damage. In the past, manufacturers balked at the idea of players being able to rough up their prized designs. But in GT5, you can T-bone a Ferrari if you please. This has, of course, added to his team’s workload. The 3D-modelling of each car takes six months and now has to include the underside of each chassis - should you roll your Nissan GT-R while cornering hard on Piccadilly Circus.

If his games are unorthodox, so too is his company. Although Polyphony is a subsidiary of SCEI, it has been awarded complete autonomy from its parent, and yet it is still relied upon to deliver to a deadline. Does this daunt him? “I never really worry about that kind of pressure,” he says. “The first GT took five years to create, at which time there were no promises, no deadlines, and I was able to achieve something that I was finally satisfied with, that was received very well by users all over. Because I had that experience at the beginning of my career, my confidence is unwavering.” This is why he has taken as long as he’s needed to nurture GT5 to completion: realism and attention to detail being the watchwords of the series’ unquestionable popularity.

As for his management style, Yamauchi describes himself as both a game player and a manager. “The core members in the company haven’t changed in the last 10 years. I guess it’s sort of an experiment, as I didn’t take into account any examples of other companies or other systems of management. We really just take every issue as it comes.” He is also one of the more down-to-Earth CEOs I have encountered. Asked what his proudest moment is, he suggests a karaoke triumph when he was six.

It is uplifting too, that - unlike certain rivals - he is not blindly sycophantic about the platform for which he develops. “Software has to be created under the restriction of the hardware,” he says. “With each new PlayStation, the vessel has become bigger, but it’s still not enough. With GT5, we’ve made it as clean and beautiful as possible within the confines of the space we’re given, but of course there’s a lot more that we want to put in.”

Our interview is drawing to a close. There’s a project to finish after all, final checks to be carried out, tiny imperfections to be remedied. I ask Yamauchi what he would like his legacy to be. He considers the question at length. “Even if the product itself is forgotten, if the movement that involves GT leaves a mark in history, I think I’d be very happy.”

Outside the GT project, he has been involved with the design of dashboard displays, body kits, even a whole concept car (the stunning “GT by Citroën”). He has also sat down with the Red Bull racing team to design “the fastest car on Earth”. Oh, and he’s now a bona fide racing driver, too, picking up trophies at the famous Nürburgring 24 Hours race in Germany. Does he have any driving tips for Esquire readers, either in the game or on the road (the two appear increasingly interchangeable)? “Spend more money improving your driving technique than on the car itself. I think this will help you lead a much more fulfilling life.” He grins. “I guess that’s not very good for your magazine’s car advertising. Maybe your editor should cut that part out.”

A succession of audible blips betrays that someone, somewhere in the building, has just started a race. I ask Yamauchi what he plans to do at the week’s close, when the final “code” (the term attributed to a game prior to its release) is handed over to be burned onto discs and then retailed the world over. “There are a lot of things that we couldn’t put in this time,” he sighs, “so we’ll probably just continue making the game. Completing one piece of work - in this case, GT5 - really connects to the motivation to make the next one.”

What Yamauchi has achieved through Gran Turismo is probably best summed up, aptly enough, by certain famous car advertising slogans. “The relentless pursuit of perfection”, for one, or “The ultimate driving machine”. Or better still, “Once driven, forever smitten”.

This article appears in the December issue of Esquire Magazine.

Gran Turismo 5 (Sony/Polyphony Digital) is out in December on PS3.

Last edited:
Thank you for that excellent article. 👍 Just more confirmation that Kazunori is The Man.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/video-games/8113479/Gran-Turismo-5-developer-interview.html

Gran Turismo began as a simple ambition to create the perfect driving simulator; now, it’s evolved into one of the most successful video game series ever, and a social movement in its own right. Esquire caught up with Kazunori Yamauchi as he put the finishing touches to the latest chapter.

In a quiet backstreet of Tokyo’s Koto district stands a nondescript office building, its plain façade and modest signage giving little away as to the type of business conducted above its white-tiled lobby. Up on the second floor hides the headquarters of Polyphony Digital, a subsidiary of Sony Computer Entertainment, Inc (SCEI). It is the developing studio responsible for Gran Turismo, the most accurate driving series ever to grace a games console, and — with more than 56m copies sold - one of the primary contributors to the success of Sony’s PlayStation.

The series’ latest iteration, Gran Turismo 5, has taken five years to complete (some 27 months longer than initially anticipated) and cost around £38m to develop. It has been mooted that it will sell as many copies as Lady Gaga’s debut album (12m, give or take), only it will retail for four times as much - with a limited-edition version costing twice as much again.

Right now - which is to say, just after lunch on a Tuesday in late September - the floor is eerily quiet. It is the calm before the proverbial gale. Most of the employees are power-napping, either at home or in one of the four “hotel” rooms adjoining the far wall, or simply lying under their desks before their next shift begins in earnest. The only discernible sound is the gentle buzz emanating from the neon-lit servers occupying the centre-point of the office. Housing one of the most powerful computer clusters in Tokyo (no mean feat, that), the sealed area has its own preset cooling system. Hence, the blinking mainframe shares its secure storage bay with several crates of Veuve Clicquot.

Towards the back of the main office - past the piles of suitcases, reams of manufacturers’ paint samples and auto manuals and, inexplicably, a boxed George W Bush doll - is the recreation room, a double-height library crammed with car magazines, DVDs, massage chairs, keyboards, guitars, a kitchen and a treadmill. It is uninhabited save for a lone figure who sits reading, a fresh coffee at his. This is Kazunori Yamauchi, president of Polyphony Digital and creator of Gran Turismo. He smiles and rises to greet me.

Gran Turismo is a rare beast: a video game that’s popular with non-gamers. Its re-creation of a realistic driving environment with real-life car marques and models has endeared it to a worldwide audience of automobile buffs, young and old, male and female. The PlayStation-only game has spawned 13 official titles and spin-offs, and a host of lesser imitators engineered by rival software houses. At its heart, it is a driving game in which you compete to win money to collect more powerful, race-tuned cars.

“It is a game and it is a simulator,” Yamauchi explains, “but it’s definitely also something else. I sort of consider Gran Turismo to be a movement.”

This credo - of an unofficial club of like-minded individuals, fuelled by a passion for driving - is reflected in the series’ other unusual offering: its ability to improve your real-world road-handling skills. Its complex and realistic physics mean that gamers have to adhere to the laws of driving to succeed. Pinpoint braking times, clutch control and driving lines are the route to glory in this game - there are no cheat codes or predetermined button combinations: no shortcuts to the chequered flag.

In 2005, Jeremy Clarkson - a self-professed fan of the series - attempted, on an episode of Top Gear, to beat a lap time he’d set in the game at the Laguna Seca raceway in California. (His genuine attempt, at the wheel of a Honda NSX, proved to be 16 seconds short.) Yamauchi has since expressed his regard for the BBC show by including Top Gear’s Dunsfield Aerodrome circuit as a drivable track in Gran Turismo 5.

As we relocate to a bank of sofas= in Polyphony’s reception, I ask Yamauchi where this passion for all things four-wheeled originated. “Our family dealt in fine china, ceramics, that kind of thing,” he reflects. “In Japan, a fine china merchant would usually go from house to house. When I was three, I would often be the passenger in my father’s car, going with him on his deliveries to our customers. It was just natural for me to see the other cars on the road through the window. Children pick things up very quickly, and I soon learned the names of all the cars.”

He once wanted to be the next Jean-Henri Fabre - the French entomologist who inspired Charles Darwin. “I would read his books from cover to cover every day,” he says. Could Fabre’s fastidious attention to detail in recording nature have motivated the way he catalogues cars? “I never thought about it, but yes, that’s probably where this drive for detail began.”

Yamauchi was at school when he first established a rough concept for Gran Turismo. “I wanted to drive something real,” he remembers.“ That meant using existing cars, and the driving feeling and being real.” The initial problem when he graduated was convincing others of his huge vision. Sony recognised potential in him, but he wasn’t about to be granted the backing for such a grand project. So he focused on developing a game that would get him one step closer to his goal. The result was 1994’s Motor Toon Grand Prix, a cartoon-like outing in the vein of Nintendo’s Mario Kart, which was one of PlayStation’s launch titles. Although visually appealing to children (its Wacky Races-like characters include a spoiled princess and a bunch of Mafiosi penguins), its underlying driving physics appealed to adults.

The game was a success, and Yamauchi was given the green light to proceed with his bigger ambition. The first Gran Turismo took five years to realise, comprised 180 cars and 11 race tracks and sold 10.85m copies. “That was a major challenge,” he admits. “In that five years - it still hasn’t changed all that much - I hardly ever went home, and we had a very small team working very hard to finish it. It was a time period in which spring, summer, autumn, winter would simply roll by.”

In 1998, he founded Polyphony Digital with a team of just 10 employees. Now he has around 110, although this hasn’t eased his work/ life balance. Yamauchi’s routine typically involves 24 hours at his desk, followed by nine hours’ down time. “I operate on a 33-hour day,” he laughs. Relaxation, he adds, is fulfilled by reading voraciously. “It’s been like that since I was 10.”

The latest GT outing, released this month, will be the biggest yet. “I think people will feel like they’re taking on the unknown,” Yamauchi says. “It won’t be just about the graphics or the physics - I think they’re going to have an experience in which they see the true potential of this thing they’re playing with.” The game offers over 1,000 cars, some 70 tracks, the ability to take on 15 other players simultaneously online and - in keeping with the times - full 3D gameplay.

“I’ve seen Gran Turismo 5 running in 3D and it is stunning,” enthused Andrew Oliver, chief technical officer of British developer Blitz Games Studios, earlier this year. “It is a major step forward. It is gaming’s Avatar.”

Another addition is car damage. In the past, manufacturers balked at the idea of players being able to rough up their prized designs. But in GT5, you can T-bone a Ferrari if you please. This has, of course, added to his team’s workload. The 3D-modelling of each car takes six months and now has to include the underside of each chassis - should you roll your Nissan GT-R while cornering hard on Piccadilly Circus.

If his games are unorthodox, so too is his company. Although Polyphony is a subsidiary of SCEI, it has been awarded complete autonomy from its parent, and yet it is still relied upon to deliver to a deadline. Does this daunt him? “I never really worry about that kind of pressure,” he says. “The first GT took five years to create, at which time there were no promises, no deadlines, and I was able to achieve something that I was finally satisfied with, that was received very well by users all over. Because I had that experience at the beginning of my career, my confidence is unwavering.” This is why he has taken as long as he’s needed to nurture GT5 to completion: realism and attention to detail being the watchwords of the series’ unquestionable popularity.

As for his management style, Yamauchi describes himself as both a game player and a manager. “The core members in the company haven’t changed in the last 10 years. I guess it’s sort of an experiment, as I didn’t take into account any examples of other companies or other systems of management. We really just take every issue as it comes.” He is also one of the more down-to-Earth CEOs I have encountered. Asked what his proudest moment is, he suggests a karaoke triumph when he was six.

It is uplifting too, that - unlike certain rivals - he is not blindly sycophantic about the platform for which he develops. “Software has to be created under the restriction of the hardware,” he says. “With each new PlayStation, the vessel has become bigger, but it’s still not enough. With GT5, we’ve made it as clean and beautiful as possible within the confines of the space we’re given, but of course there’s a lot more that we want to put in.”

Our interview is drawing to a close. There’s a project to finish after all, final checks to be carried out, tiny imperfections to be remedied. I ask Yamauchi what he would like his legacy to be. He considers the question at length. “Even if the product itself is forgotten, if the movement that involves GT leaves a mark in history, I think I’d be very happy.”

Outside the GT project, he has been involved with the design of dashboard displays, body kits, even a whole concept car (the stunning “GT by Citroën”). He has also sat down with the Red Bull racing team to design “the fastest car on Earth”. Oh, and he’s now a bona fide racing driver, too, picking up trophies at the famous Nürburgring 24 Hours race in Germany. Does he have any driving tips for Esquire readers, either in the game or on the road (the two appear increasingly interchangeable)? “Spend more money improving your driving technique than on the car itself. I think this will help you lead a much more fulfilling life.” He grins. “I guess that’s not very good for your magazine’s car advertising. Maybe your editor should cut that part out.”

A succession of audible blips betrays that someone, somewhere in the building, has just started a race. I ask Yamauchi what he plans to do at the week’s close, when the final “code” (the term attributed to a game prior to its release) is handed over to be burned onto discs and then retailed the world over. “There are a lot of things that we couldn’t put in this time,” he sighs, “so we’ll probably just continue making the game. Completing one piece of work - in this case, GT5 - really connects to the motivation to make the next one.”

What Yamauchi has achieved through Gran Turismo is probably best summed up, aptly enough, by certain famous car advertising slogans. “The relentless pursuit of perfection”, for one, or “The ultimate driving machine”. Or better still, “Once driven, forever smitten”.

This article appears in the December issue of Esquire Magazine.
Gran Turismo 5 (Sony/Polyphony Digital) is out in December on PS3

Gran-Turismo.com
To the Nürburgring
http://us.gran-turismo.com/us/blog/d5057.html
To the Nürburgring

Kazunori Yamauchi / "Gran Turismo" Series Producer
2009/09/19 22:49 (JST)

"So Mr. Yamauchi, would you be interested in entering a 4 hour race at the Nurburgring? "

The call was from international motor journalist, Peter Lyon.
My heart immediately thumped hard, and I was at a loss for words momentarily, but I sort of recall replying "Yes, yes of course I will" about a second later.

I love cars, and I love to drive cars, but I had intentionally placed a distance between myself and this thing called "racing".
It's because my life, or my work itself, is a series of challenges much like racing already, and I always thought I'd have to be crazy to take on any more challenges than I already deal with.

I think the reason I slipped and took that invitation for something I had intentionally banned myself from, is probably because of the word "Nurburgring".
I probably would have declined, if it wasn't THE "Nurburgring".
For a car enthusiast, the Nurburgring is the equivalent to what places like the "Eiger Nordwand" or "Mount Everest" means to a mountaineer. There is that special allure about it that you just can't explain in words. It was the great mountaineer Mallory who said "Because it's there", about climbing the Everest, and the Nurburgring, is a place where you are tempted to say something like; "because there's a road".

I succumbed to the allure of the Nurburgring.

After I accepted the invitation, I became flustered.
I obviously knew how dangerous the course is, and I knew all too well that I did not have enough racing experience in the first place to even begin imagining the infinite number of things that can happen in the chaos of a race where nearly 200 cars are on the road. While the development of "Gran Turismo" for the PSP reached its crucial stages, I started physical training in the corner of the office in the middle of the night, sort of in hiding, and drove very early mornings on the Tokyo Expressway to practice braking with my left foot.

There are some words of wisdom in Germany, that says "Motor racing is the funnest thing that a man does without taking his pant off." (I don't know if they really say that, but I heard it from a test driver of Mercedes Benz) but at the time, it really didn't seem like I'd have any room to enjoy myself.

In all actuality, I knew that what I accepted and took on, was not just a personal challenge.
I knew that the driving experience in "Gran Turismo" is directly connected to an improvement of driving skill in real life. We were able to prove that from a third person perspective through the GT Academy project last year, but for me to enter a race, means that I'll be carrying all the expectations of all the hardcore car enthusiast fans that have always supported "Gran Turismo". And that's also why the target had to be THE "Nurburgring" from the very beginning, it had to be.

This can't be ended with just an:

"I entered the race. I tried hard. It was fun."

It simply mustn't be ended like that.
…Aaagh. Just as I expected, another challenge has been added to my life….

To be continued…

Gran-Turismo.com
To the Nürburgring 2
http://us.gran-turismo.com/us/blog/d5088.html
To the Nürburgring 2

Kazunori Yamauchi / "Gran Turismo" Series Producer
2009/10/09 23:00 (JST)

Gran Turismo for the PSP is out on sale now.
This PSP version is of course on a portable device with a broader range of users, so it's been made friendlier for beginners knocking on the doors of GT for the first time, and also for those who may have abandoned GT in the past because of the perhaps overly stoic, path-finding nature of the game. Unfortunately, those expecting that truly stoic GT experience will have to wait for GT5. But in this PSP version with its more casual playing style, I'm hoping people will just have fun gaining lots and lots of cars, and enjoy the tempo of the game and its ad hoc head-to-head play as a party game.

I hope everyone reading this blog gets a chance to try it out.

Now, continuing on from where we left off…

The Lexus garage was located in a small village, just a 10 minutes drive out from the Nurburgring.

I made my visit on the day before the race, as the garage bustled with final race preparations.
There I was welcomed by Norbert, the German Chief mechanic.

"The new suspension arm arrived just this morning, we have to install it now…", he says to me, as he pours me some coffee.

Norbert, with his vast racing experience and veteran skills, was calm and relaxed. In contrast, I immediately started to bombard him with questions though we had only just met.

What's the corner weights of the car? Tire size? Toe and camber? Caster angle, gear ratios, fuel economy, the length of the stint, ...?

Not having racing experience, the only place I could start was by anticipating the characteristics of the car from a variety of hard numerical figures. My apologies, Norbert…
I was desperate to learn the basic characteristics of the car, and he was very considerate in answering my barrage of questions thoroughly, one by one.

Because they are the "Lexus Europe" team, I had initially imagined they would be a huge army of a team, maybe equal to or even larger in size and scale than the massive teams in Formula 1 racing. However, my imagination deceived me in a good way.
Though I had been slightly worried at first, thinking "what would a novice like me do, amidst a team like that?", it turned out that the Lexus Europe Racing team was a small, family-like organization.

In the garage, a few young mechanics worked diligently on the final finishing touches of the competition machine.

There I was told that these men were not professional racing mechanics, but in fact, were a team of select mechanics chosen from dealers in Lexus Europe, headquartered in Brussels. The regular day jobs of these young Belgian mechanics in their early 20's in whom I still saw signs of boyish youth, are the repair and maintenance of production Lexus cars.

Perhaps the job of a race mechanic was a challenge they were not accustomed to, as their eyes were serious, their words few, and their work meticulous.
Seeing them, I was reminded of how good it is to see people fully dedicated and without a single doubt in their mind, not imagining or fretting over the future in store for them, but totally focused on the work at hand.

With one of these mechanics who looked particularly young, I noticed a young lady who stood by, that would not leave his side. It seemed as though she did not want to step away even for a moment, and even while he labored, silently sweating over his work, she continued to hover close by.
I asked, and was told that she is his girlfriend, and that today is his birthday.

"It's noon, lets all take a break and have lunch."

Norbert called out, and lining up tables haphazardly under the sun, everyone gathered to eat the pizza that had been delivered.
For dessert was an apple pie baked by that girlfriend of the young mechanic.
In their birthplace of Belgium, I was told it is customary for a girlfriend to bake a cake on the birthday of a boyfriend, and to treat everyone around.

With beautiful color, gloss, looks and texture…in the perfectly baked pie crust, was a sweet, rich apple filling.
The scent of cinnamon and nutmeg was slightly stronger than what you would find in the same in Japan; it was the real thing.

"They build the car, and I drive the car."

If you take a step back and you look at the distribution of roles between the two parties here, it is none other than what is called a "racing team". And the story called a "Race" with its vague significance, probably often begins silently, unnoticed, in moments just like these.

These were the thoughts racing through my head as I enjoyed the fabulous apple pie made by the girlfriend, in modest reserve.

My work starts tomorrow.

To be continued…

Gameblog.fr
Gran Turismo 5 > Interview de Kazunori Yamauchi
https://www.gtplanet.net/brand-new-real-time-damage-coming-to-gran-turismo-5/
http://www.gameblog.fr/news_11676_gran-turismo-5-interview-de-kazunori-yamauchi
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k3cgZn9aREBuOQ1dE66
Gran Turismo 5 > Interview de Kazunori Yamauchi

Gameblog.fr
Journalists: Julo & JulienC
October 7 & 8, 2009 (Video posted 7th, Article posted the 8th)

GB: From virtual to real, recently you have won an important competition on the Nurburgring, is it a great memory? 

Kazunori Yamauchi: You know it takes around 10 minutes to make a full lap on the Nurburgring circuit. Honestly, after 7 laps and more than 1 hour racing, corner after corner, I was starting to brake and change gears completely by instinct. I felt I was not thinking anymore, so much that I had the feeling I was dreaming. I almost forgot I was actually driving. Frankly, I felt like in a trance state, something I never experienced with a video game. You know this race will remain a strong experience for me, this unique sensation that you and the car are one.

GB: Gran Turismo 5 will not be released in Japan before March 2010. What about Europe? 

KZ: Trust me, it should be very close from this date because our schedules didn’t changed. What I can assure you is both versions will be finished at the same time.

GB: Gran Turismo 5 will offer a new kind of damage… 

KY: Right now we are adding a brand new real-time deformation engine that will process according to the speed and angle of impact. But doing this in real-time remains truly complex. We could make it an easier way with pre-damaged models but definitely we don’t want to make it that way.

GB: Players have changed since the original Gran Turismo. How does GT adapt to this? 

KY: You would notice that in Gran Turismo for PSP, game progression was accelerated. Before this, it took hours and hours to collect all cars and complete all license tests, this is not true anymore. This is a trend we are considering the possibility for GT5.

GB: You seem to be more concerned about your competitors… 

KY: To tell you the truth, when I’m interested in other games, it’s really difficult to not look at them with the creator’s eyes. I notice some details and I think to myself: “oh, they must have really hard worked on this point” or “hmm, they must have lacked time for this very aspect”. I can’t prevent myself from putting me in their place.

GB: More than 10 years after Gran Turismo’s debut, what will you record from Polyphony Digital’s evolution? 

KY:
I will probably surprise you but, since more than 10 years I design Gran Turismos we never told ourselves that we were the best, the numbers one. As far as I search in my memories, I can’t remember a moment when we felt satisfied with what we’ve achieved because we always want to make it better. That being said, maybe that when everything will be over, the day I will not make video games anymore, I will feel this satisfaction… but this is not in the near future.

GB: During the Gamescom, you told us about the possibility of making a RPG. Would it be a Kazunori-style Shenmue? 

KY: (laugh) Indeed it could resemble Shenmue, just because it resemble my own tastes. But if I really had to make another game, I would like it to include how characters live and die. To introduce a true life cycle and evolution.

Translation via napoleon_ist.

Kikizo
GT5 - Kazunori Yamauchi Interview
http://archive.videogamesdaily.com/news/200804/008.asp
GT5 - Kazunori Yamauchi Interview

Yamauchi tells Kikizo how the London bombings almost disrupted development on the game and what keeps him motivated after all these years.

By Alex Wollenschlaeger
Kikizo
April 3, 2008

Kazunori Yamauchi has a lot to be happy about. The Polyphony Digital boss's new game, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, has just been named the fastest-selling PlayStation 3 game ever in the UK, and he and his army of car nuts are already working on the full game, due sometime next year.

But for this affable motorsport junkie, creating racing games is about more than just games. It affords him a chance to stream his passion into the unstoppable forward flow of technology.

Yamauchi was in London for a few hours on Thursday to chat about Gran Turismo. We sat down with him for eight minutes before his flight to Copenhagen to find out what makes him tick and how his new game came about.

Kikizo: You've been making Gran Turismo games for more than a decade now. Are you growing tired of it? How do you keep yourself motivated?

Kazunori Yamauchi: For one thing, cars are something you never tire of. You see it when you go to motorshows. Most of the people surrounding the sports cars are old guys. They've enjoyed sports cars all their lives. And another thing, in this industry, technology is always advancing, it's always on the leading edge, and that's something that's always exciting to be involved with. It's the driving force that has kept me going for this long.

Kikizo: I'm sure you've heard about the success of GT5 Prologue in the UK - it's the fastest selling PS3 game here yet. What is your favourite part of the game? What's your least favourite part, and how are you going to fix it for the full game?

Yamauchi: The thing we added to this version that I really enjoy is the drifting. It's very fun to do, and it's something I like every much. The thing I think still requires a lot of work is the online features. There's much more that needs to be added for this.

Kikizo: One part of Prologue that we've been enjoying a lot is the London track. The quality on this course is very high. Can you tell me how you went about creating the track? Was it done just by your team or did you work with any of Sony's teams in London?

Yamauchi: First off, I'm very glad that the London track is regarded highly and people are satisfied with its quality because urban courses are very hard to create. It took a lot of effort, so I'm very happy to hear that.

Kikizo: Our office is just off Leicester Square and you can actually see the front door of the building.

Yamauchi:
[Laughs]

To create the course our Polyphony team stayed in London for two weeks. We took photographs all around the area and took measurements in the actual roads. We had helicopters fly overhead and take footage as well. One of the major difficulties we had in London for taking photographs of the track was the double-decker buses. There are so many of them. They come in and they block the cameras. We had a very hard time to trying to get around them to take the photographs.

The whole data gathering mission for London was a battle against the double-deckers. [Laughs]

Kikizo: So you know every bus driver by face now.

Yamauchi: [Laughs] Yes. So basically the Polyphony team actually stayed in London to create the course. The terrorist incident [in July 2005] occurred while we were here. We actually lost one of our crew during that time, we didn't know where he went. He walked back to the hotel later on, so it was OK, but that was very scary.

Kikizo: So you didn't use the time with no traffic to go take all of your photos.

Yamauchi: [Laughs] No.

Kikizo: I'm being told to finish up, so I've got one more question for you. GT5: you've got 1080p, you've got 60 frames per second - what's next?

Yamauchi: That's an early question. [Laughs] First, while working at this resolution and this frame rate, we'd like to try to get weather and a lot of lighting effects added to the game.

Kikizo: And what's happening with GT Mobile?

Yamauchi: Probably next year.

Kikizo: Probably next year? So it's still in active development?

Yamauchi: Yes.

Kikizo: That's good to hear. A lot of people will be very happy to hear that. Thank you.

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue is out now for PlayStation 3. The full game will be out during 2009 and will be followed sometime later by a version for PSP.

1UP.com
1UP Interviews GT5's Kazunori Yamauchi
http://www.1up.com/news/gran-turismo-5-interview
1UP Interviews GT5's Kazunori Yamauchi
We visit Polyphony Digital and chat with GT's producer.

By Garnett Lee
1UP.com
10/01/2007

With Gran Turismo 5: Prologue captivating the Tokyo Game Show 2007 floor much the way it did in Leipzig, we took the opportunity to visit the Polyphony Digital studios and sit down with Gran Tursimo Producer Kazunori Yamauchi, with the man's personal translator Tsubasa Inaba on-hand for assistance.

As the new cockpit view highlights, the team has made significant strides in the fairly short time since Gran Tursimo HD came out. Yamauchi said that while working on the new hardware hadn't been easy, they are currently steady progress. During the planning stages for Gran Turismo 5: Prologue, Sony told us later, the resolution had been set at 1080i, but only a couple weeks after making that call, the team had a breakthrough that enabled them to hit 60 frames-per-second in 1080p during gameplay. Replays, however, will remain 30 fps at 1080p to allow Polyphony to add more layers of special effects.

The big Gran Turismo news from TGS 2007 centered on digging into the demo's My Page elements and the details of the TV mode. The new game interface stems from the team studying how incorporating online connectivity would impact the Gran Turismo world. Yamauchi talked about how the goal was to bring in a more personal element. To that end, you start by customizing both the centerpiece car and its background scene that serve as the main screen wallpaper. At the top, a band brings in online elements related to your friends. There are weather reports from around the globe at the top right, and all of your friends currently online -- all around the world -- show up as little points of light on a global map at top-center.

But, it's the GT TV mode that really highlights how seriously the team treats the idea of being part of car culture. Recognizing that auto racing has become regionally segmented, Yamauchi wants to use the Internet link through to Gran Tursimo 5: Prologue to make gamers aware of events you would otherwise not be able to see. For instance, GT fans are well aware of the All-Japan Grand Touring Car Championship (JGTC, now known as Super GT) from their cars being in the game, but finding it on TV was all but impossible. With GT TV, you will be able to go to the Super GT channel and check out the latest events. And, when you leave your My Page screen on idle for a few minutes your video content will start roll.

Getting content like that is only one aspect of GT TV. Car manufacturers will also be able push video out to you that will be one part of the expanded dealerships in the game. These "channels" are embedded into the interface as another option right next to selecting a car. And that's just the tip of the iceberg for Yamauchi's plans. Ultimately, he said he sees a point where when you went to a dealership in the game you could take an official virtual test drive. During this test drive, someone from the dealership could ride along in the passenger seat with you, describing the car, its features and capabilities via voice chat. Once you decided to buy the car, everything could be done through the GT dealership short of going down to pick up your real new ride.

As elaborate as that sounds, it's representative of the team's passion for cars that runs "deeper than the sea." That passion, and tireless attention to detail form the foundation of the series. It guides everything they do. As Yamauchi put it, "racing is not only lap times; it's the whole experience."

Of course, we'll be plenty concerned with lap times too, though. And certainly having rumble back in the controller should help with them. Yamauchi said looking back on the history of the series Gran Turismo, it has always been one of the leading titles to incorporate rumble because it brings such an important feedback to the game. He termed the announcement that the PS3 controller would not include rumble "devastating" and added that it "discouraged" the team. It's return has made them very happy and working it back into the game was easy, given their experience with rumble in the previous games.

While no American release date was given to go along with the Japanese one, the demo gave us a few rays of hope. During the presentation Yamauchi kept accidentally canceling his way out of menus instead of selecting. Towards the end he apologized for this and said that he had been playing the Japanese version so much that the switch to the American version threw him off (in Japan the usual "O" and "X" button functions are reversed to the US). Without that to give it away, you'd never have known it wasn't the same Japanese version as the one on the TGS show floor

With any luck, this means localization is ongoing side-by-side with development and we won't have long to wait for Gran Turismo 5: Prologue, either.

Time to revive this awesome thread...with a new interview I found, maybe some of you will enjoy:

GT4 interview from 07/04, game magazine: Play the PlayStation

Interviewer: "You are a passionate racing driver, so, what were your first feelings, when you drove the Nordschleife for the first time?"

Kazunori Yamauchi: "Primerally it was simply hugely fun. It wasn't "long", or "difficult", it simply was immensly fun.

IV: "We noticed this track, besides being really fun, is also quite a challenge."

KY: "The track has something that makes your existence feel really unimportant. When you drive on this track, you can really feel that."

IV: "You said the virtual Nordschleife experience is very comparable to the real one, but really, is there still some difference, where you say "here it is a little off"?"

KY: "Everything was pretty much exactly how I imagined it, only on two spots the surface was little more "prone", but we're going to change that accordingly."

IV: "What makes you feel most excited about this track?"

KY: "I especially like the "Adenauer Wald" part of the track, first, it goes very deeply down, then up again and then there's a turn. Yes, I like that part the most, it is very dangerous, alone yesterday, there have been two accidents."

IV: "So which cars did you try on the real track?"

KY: "So far, I drove the Audi TT 3.2 version."

IV: "What were the more memorable parts of your Nordschleife experience/development?"

KY: "The first footage has been shot in the snow, with a crane and a HD camera. What we didn't notice, is that there was a telephone cable and soooo...we destroyed this cable. The masts simply fell and we had to put them up again and the snow was really deep." (laughs)

Also in video form:

Credit to Alex p., Thank You. [Translated from German by Alex P.]
Play the PlayStation Magazine
Interview with Kazunori Yamauchi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afTrINxRAWU
Play the PlayStation (magazine)
Interview with Kazunori Yamauchi

07/2004
[Translated from German by Alex P.]

Interviewer: You are a passionate racing driver, so, what were your first feelings, when you drove the Nordschleife for the first time?

Kazunori Yamauchi: Primerally it was simply hugely fun. It wasn't long, or difficult, it simply was immensly fun.

IV: We noticed this track, besides being really fun, is also quite a challenge.

KY: The track has something that makes your existence feel really unimportant. When you drive on this track, you can really feel that.

IV: You said the virtual Nordschleife experience is very comparable to the real one, but really, is there still some difference, where you say "here it is a little off?"

KY: Everything was pretty much exactly how I imagined it, only on two spots the surface was little more prone, but we're going to change that accordingly.

IV: What makes you feel most excited about this track?

KY: I especially like the Adenauer Wald part of the track, first, it goes very deeply down, then up again and then there's a turn. Yes, I like that part the most, it is very dangerous, alone yesterday, there have been two accidents.

IV: So which cars did you try on the real track?

KY: So far, I drove the Audi TT 3.2 version.

IV: What were the more memorable parts of your Nordschleife experience/development?

KY: The first footage has been shot in the snow, with a crane and a HD camera. What we didn't notice, is that there was a telephone cable and soooo...we destroyed this cable. The masts simply fell and we had to put them up again and the snow was really deep. (laughs)

Also in video form:

Last edited:
GTPlanet
GTPlanet’s Kazunori Yamauchi Interview at SEMA 2011
https://www.gtplanet.net/gtplanets-...cars-dlc-and-the-future-of-polyphony-digital/
GTPlanet (magazine)
GTPlanet’s Kazunori Yamauchi Interview at SEMA 2011

November 7, 2011
Interviewed by GTPlanet's Jordan Greer

GTP: First, congratulations on your class victory at the Nurburgring 24 Hours. What did you learn from the experience?

KY: You might be surprised by my answer, but I actually didn’t have that much time to prepare or train this year for the race. I actually brought a copy of GT5 to the hotel, and throughout the event, I would come back to the hotel and practice again with the game. Even while the actual race was going on, between my driving sessions, I was practicing in GT5!

GTP: Could you explain why you decided to open Polyphony Digital’s new offices in Fukuoka and Tokyo? How is the company structured now?

KY: The answer is quite simple – it is because of the nuclear accident at Fukushima. After it happened, I calculated how much the radiation would spread, and it turned out there would be a significant amount of radiation in a 500 kilometer radius around Fukushima, which would lead to people having to leave Tokyo.

I had everyone with small kids or families move to Fukuoka. Considering all the different cities in the area, Fukuoka was a prime location.

GTP: There has been much discussion and debate in GTPlanet’s community regarding GT5’s Standard and Premium cars. Could you explain how you came to the decision of which cars would be Premium and which would remain Standard, such as the Bugatti Veyron?

KY: It wasn’t a matter of making a decision, we just didn’t have time to do it! There is still a possibility that some Standard cars may become Premium in the future.

GTP: In an interview last year, you mentioned that some Standard cars may be upgraded to Premium status in the future. Do you still have plans for this, or will GT5’s future DLC focus on adding new car models to the game?

KY: I think that we should focus on adding new cars to the game.

GTP: Could you offer any hints about what else may be coming in the future, or how frequently new content may be released?

KY: We’re continuously working to make more and more content for the game, and I think what’s really important is the reactions of our users. We’ve had our DLC and our 2.0 update, and the reaction has been really good so far, but we want to look at the overall feedback to see what we should do from here on, and adjust accordingly.

GTP: If you could go back in time and start over with GT5, is there anything you would do differently?

KY: No, because I think everything that I thought about in that way, we have done in the updates. If I can think of one, I think we should have made more A-Spec races. When you buy a car, it’s fun to be able to participate in a lot of races with that car, and I don’t think there were enough.

GTP: How will you decide when to stop supporting Gran Turismo 5 and begin the transition to Gran Turismo 6?

KY: [Laughs] I’ll think about that next year!

GTP: In the future do you see Polyphony Digital dedicating resources to major Gran Turismo titles or to creating more spin-off games, such as Tourist Trophy and Prologue?

KY: The only thing I can definitely say is the next one will be GT6, but we might have something else pop-up in between now and then [laughs]!

GTP: In closing, is there anything you would like to say to the GTPlanet community?

KY: The feedback we receive from our users – the positive and the constructive feedback – really provides energy for our company and really motivates us to do more. I think if we can keep up that relationship with the community, that would be great! Lastly, thank you all for your support!

Credit to diegorborges, Thank you.
Wired - GeekDad

GeekDad Visits the Gran Turismo Awards, Plus an Interview With Kazunori Yamauchi
http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2011/1...rds-plus-an-interview-with-kazunori-yamauchi/
GeekDad Visits the Gran Turismo Awards, Plus an Interview With Kazunori Yamauchi

By Dave Banks
Wired - GeekDad
November 9, 2011

This past week in Las Vegas, the annual Gran Turismo awards were held, recognizing excellence in automotive customization. The awards, which are held in conjunction with the automotive industry’s Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) convention, annually invite petrolheads to submit their custom car for judging and potential inclusion in the Gran Turismo game for the PlayStation 3.

This year’s crop of contestants was narrowed down by a field of judges who were on the lookout for unique vehicles that embodied the soul of the top-selling driving simulator. Submissions were broken down into five categories – Asian import, European import, domestic, hot rod, and truck. The Asian import, a 2009 Nissan 370Z, was a wide body with seemingly endless horsepower and an angry, barking exhaust note. A Porsche 964 represented the European import category and is the first car in the US built using a Rauh-Welt body kit from the very popular Japanese tuner.

Deeper in the Las Vegas Convention Center was a Ford F150 with deep dish wheels, suicide doors and the reddest interior you will ever see. The supercharged pickup lays claim to the truck category. A ‘72 Chevy Camaro represents the hot rod group, a car that tips its hand with a roll bar, carbon fiber panels and race suspension. Finally, a 1966 Ford Mustang, built for speed in gorgeous deep red rounds out the competition and represents the domestic class.

The father of the Gran Turismo series and race driver himself, Kazunori Yamauchi, was on hand to judge the finalists and select an overall winner. The lucky vehicle would be meticulously examined, photographed, and recreated for inclusion in the game. The honor, which takes up to a year to complete, has only been bestowed eight times prior to this year’s awards. Before announcing the winner, Yamauchi-san sat down and answered a few questions for us.

GeekDad: A year after release, Gran Turismo 5 continues to do well, Spec 2 has just been released … are you happy with how things are evolving with this version of the game?

Kazunori Yamauchi: Of course, we’re never completely satisfied, but we’ve done the best we can in the time that we have, so we have to be satisfied with that.

GD: We are also about a year past the widespread release of motion controls, but they still seem to be most appropriately used in casual games or with minimal use in more serious games. Can you envision how motion controls might be used in a more serious game like Gran Turismo?

KY: Technically, we can make the game compatible with Move but once you try it out being able to do it and it actually being fun is two different things – it’s kind of hard.

GD: I imagine a lot of GeekDad readers could benefit (and breathe easier) from their children learning to drive in a digital environment. Have you ever considered adapting Gran Turismo to educate kids, much in the way that the licenses work in the game?

KY: Kids that grew up with Gran Turismo already have very high driving skills. So if you want to make your kids a racing driver, that’s the way to go!

GD: You had the chance to work with Adrian Newey in developing the X2010 — that must have been an interesting experience. What else can motorsport learn from a simulation like Gran Turismo?

KY: I’ve actually visited a lot of Formula One teams including McLaren, Ferrari, Mercedes GP, and, of course, Red Bull. They all base the development of their cars on simulation first. It’s reached the point where there’s really no difference between simulation and the real life of a car. Something that’s really interesting, regarding the cars and the actual driving simulation, is the A-Spec part of the game. Something that’s really important to Formula One racing now is the racing strategy where you decide when you’re going to pit the car and how you distribute time and everything. And they already use a simulator that’s similar to the B-Spec simulator in the game to get the team organized in those race-type situations. So it really surprised me that, after seeing the teams, that they’re doing the same thing as we are.

GD: If the difference between current simulations and real life is thin, where’s the room for improvement in the next iteration of the game?

KY: There’s still a very long list of to-dos, a lot of things we haven’t done yet and we’re going to start doing them one by one.

GD: Each year we see dramatic improvements in automobile technology. When you walk around a show like SEMA, do you see a lot you want to incorporate into the game or is it more about your list of to-dos?

KY: At Gran Turismo, we are really focused on monitoring the all of the new technology that comes out for automobiles and we’ve gone to great lengths to include that in the game in every iteration. That’s something we never neglect.

GD: Gran Turismo has sold more than 60 million copies, you’ve personally had great success on the track. What would you say your most memorable accomplishment?

KY: I think the day we launched the first Gran Turismo is a day I’ll never forget, because I really saw a huge movement start then and there. Of course, winning the class in the 24 hours of Nubrugring is something that’s obviously a deep experience for me. Having been involved in working on a sports driving formula for this long, and to be actually able to leave visible results from that is something major in my life.

GD: When you work on a game for so long, there are certainly things, as we talked about before, that don’t get finished or you just can’t do. Can you talk about how downloadable content has affected the process of game creation?

KY: What we do during development, we do our best in developing every day and we do what we can do. The difference between having a package only release like we did in the past and how we have downloadable content now is that before, it used to be you would have to set an objective five years ahead and work toward that goal. But now, there’s this time in between where you can keep releasing new content and implement new ideas. It’s great that we can do that because it keeps the content fresh and gives us structure and objectives that we can work towards instead of of having this big objective far out there in the future. It helps to keep our motivation up, as well.

GD: What games do you see today that impress you as innovative or exciting?

KY: All the games that Will Wright makes, like Spore and the various Sims games. His games are really, really innovative. And I always have an interest for games that have that type of fresh innovation.

It seemed to me that he is saying we will get car DLC but not anymore tracks. Did anyone else understand it this way?

It seemed to me that he is saying we will get car DLC but not anymore tracks. Did anyone else understand it this way?

You have missed this phrase" I think that will include cars and trucks that we'll be releasing maybe once every two months or so from here on out.":)

wajdi1977
You have missed this phrase" I think that will include cars and trucks that we'll be releasing maybe once every two months or so from here on out.":)

Umm, I asked about tracks not trucks. I hope the trucks part is a misquote.

GTP: If you could go back in time and start over with GT5, is there anything you would do differently?

KY: No, because I think everything that I thought about in that way, we have done in the updates. If I can think of one, I think we should have made more A-Spec races. When you buy a car, it’s fun to be able to participate in a lot of races with that car, and I don’t think there were enough.

I'm reading that there will be no updating of A Spec. Interesting.

Latest Posts

Back