GT Mobile videos - now with cockpit view

• Thread starter Dazzla
  • 260 comments
wow old school rally car's:dopey: Look at the time in the right bottom of the screen! Really looks good, time to get my psp back!

It'd be nice one day if people could drive.

Super-awesome! I is like a hybrid between GT4 and GT5! Mega graphics for a handheld console!
I saw a Ferrari enzo in a trailer, some GT4 cars and here you can see a new GTR V-spec!
October, here I come!

The driver had problems keeping the car on track, was he using a handbreak during cornering, or it is a new physics model? I had similar spins in GT2 when playin it on PSP.

Kazunory said there will be 800 vehicles and 30+ tracks!!

Super-awesome! I is like a hybrid between GT4 and GT5! Mega graphics for a handheld console!
I saw a Ferrari enzo in a trailer, some GT4 cars and here you can see a new GTR V-spec!
October, here I come!

The driver had problems keeping the car on track, was he using a handbreak during cornering, or it is a new physics model? I had similar spins in GT2 when playin it on PSP.

Kazunory said there will be 800 vehicles and 30+ tracks!!

He was using the standard physics instead of the other, probably more realistic, physics

35 tracks, 60 variations :) I hope the new GT5 tracks like Eiger make a cameo in GT:PSP as well

interview at gamespot:

Talking Gran Turismo PSP With Kazunori Yamauchi
News by Brian Ekberg, GameSpot Jun 2, 2009 6:44 pm PT 9 comments
We chat with the Gran Turismo series creator about the past, present, and future of the real driving simulator.

My interview with Gran Turismo series creator Kazunori Yamauchi began with a question… from him to me. On the heels of this morning's proper unveiling of Gran Turismo for PSP and the debut of a new trailer for Gran Turismo 5 for PS3, new information has begun to flood out about both games. While Yamauchi spoke at length to me about the PSP version of the game (read our latest hands on), our conversation began when discussing the trailer for GT 5, which featured not just the traditional road racing you've come to expect from the series, but also the addition of a couple of high profile racing licenses: WRC (World Rally Championship) and NASCAR.

It seems that Yamauchi, who recently attended a NASCAR race at the Texas Motor Speedway, has become increasingly interested in thestock car series, even though he admitted the series feels very alien to the traditional Japanese motorsports fan who, according to Yamauchi, share tastes with European racing fans. His question to me: What do you think of NASCAR?

It's not often that a legendary game maker poses a serious question to you and, because of that, I wanted to choose my words carefully. After some thought, I said that while NASCAR wasn't my favorite form of motorsport, it's presence and importance to the American racing scene is undeniable. He seemed satisfied with that answer, as well as my suggestion that the traditionally oval-focused series would do well to add another couple of road races to the series to appeal to non-American fans.

Gran Turismo for PSP was unveiled in playable form today--about five years after its initial announcement--and that delay has brought more than a few (myself included) to wonder if the game was ever going to become a reality. Indeed, Yamauchi himself admits that it's been a long road between bringing Gran Turismo for PSP from its 2004 announcement to release this October.

"Simply put, we really wanted to develop the game ourselves, without licensing it out to others. When you do that, there's an order of priority that you develop. We had to make Tourist Trophy, we had to get out GT HD, and as a result, it took us this long to get into it. We actually regretted now that we made the announcement back then, because it was really too early."

Having spent some hands-on time with the game, both in an older-model PSP and a new PSP Go, it's apparent that the long wait hasn't been equated with a lack of effort. In fact, the sheer amount of content in Gran Turismo for PSP is staggering, with around 800 cars to choose from, 35 tracks, and 60 track layouts to drive (Yamauchi told me this was the most complete list of tracks ever seen in a GT game). The track list shown in the E3 build of the game included: High Speed Ring, Laguna Seca, Trial Mountain, Nürburgring Nordschliefe, Ice Arena, Cote de Azure, Tsukuba, Autumn Ring, Seattle, Swiss Alps, Grand Canyon, Deep Forest, Toyko Route 246 and Grand Valley. I only had a chance to tackle a small segment of the massive Ring, but it looks like a faithful recreation of the track, complete with its endless snaking corners and narrow roadway.

Of course, Gran Turismo has always been about fantasy and reality--and the track list is no different. Sitting side by side Laguna Seca, you have the super-fast fictional High Speed Ring, or the complex and tricky Trial Mountain. I asked Yamauchi about the original creation of some of those fictional tracks; how they came about and what served as their inspiration? His answer: pen and paper.

"We really just started drawing off with inspiration by drawing on piece of paper. [We'd say] 'You have a hill here.' 'You have a valley here.' 'So you probably get a view of the corner like this.' And as a result a lot of the courses we made in that manner actually came out to be very fun courses to drive."

And it’s the act of driving those courses, fictional or otherwise, that is at the heart of Gran Turismo for PSP. While you can play the game with the single analog stick on the PSP, the touch of the d-pad is significantly more accurate for making small corrections. The result is that Gran Turismo for PSP feels very similar to the original Gran Turismo, a game that only had support for d-pad steering. Yamauchi agrees, "I think myself that it might be easier to play with the d-pad. [The original Gran Turismo] was only compatible with the d-pad to begin with. We have a long history of adjusting the d-pad controls from back then. And of course we've tuned analog controller so that you can play it either way but I think the preference for most will be to play with the d-pad."

As for the future of Gran Turismo for PSP and its interface with Gran Turismo 5, Yamauchi remains vague about details. He did confirm that Polyphony Digital isn't planning DLC for the PSP game, but the idea of car ownership across the series continues to intrigue him. "These are just preliminary thoughts but [regarding] the cars in a user's garage: it's their cars. We're thinking about maybe being able to transfer your cars from your PSP garage straight into your Gran Turismo 5 garage. But that's just something we're considering. I'm hoping to make it so that the cars you get in the game are your cars. So that even when the system changes, whether it be from PSP to GT5 to even future renditions of GT6 and on [you can keep the cars you've collected]."

Finally, a general question for the man who has been more closely console racing than anyone else over the past decade: What did he think of the trend of simulation racing game developers shifting their development towards to a more arcade-racing approach, leaving the Gran Turismo series as one of the last console bastions of so-called serious driving games?

"I don't really know how to answer that. U2 makes U2 [records]. Just because hip-hop is popular in the world, [U2 is] not going to go do hip-hop. We just really go with the trends of the users and what we really believe in. And we try to accomplish what we believe in at a very high level."

Look for more on Gran Turismo for PSP and Gran Turismo 5 in the coming months.

Comment Tag Print Email Facebook Digg
Previous

It loads pretty past! Best handheld racing game ever? I think so xD
I hope you can rearange the car list by power, weight, aspiration etc.

http://www.destructoid.com/e3-09-hands-on-with-gran-turismo-psp-134888.phtml&skin=
Seeing Gran Tursimo PSP running for the first time was like having that friend that has owed you money forever just forking it up for you one day out of the blue: you would have liked to get your hands on it, but you kind of gave up hope awhile ago.

Well, we finally did get our hands on the portable racer, and while I wouldn't go as far as to say that it was worth the wait yet, I'm really happy that this finally came around. Polyphony Digital finally paid up, and maybe threw in a little bit extra for the wait.

Wow, this game looks great. If there's one thing I want to convey in this preview, it's that Gran Turismo PSP is a beautiful game. The shiny PSP screen has a way of making all its racers look pretty good, but Polyphony Digital has done some amazing things with this game's graphics. First off, GT PSP is running at a full 60 frames per second, giving it that smooth game play experiece you'd expect from a series games. All the car models and tracks compare nicely to their PlayStation 2 counterparts, and in some cases seem to exceed them in visual appeal. I don't know what they're doing there in the back room at PDI, but they should probably share some of their secrets with the rest of the PSP dev community.

As far as game play goes, this is Gran Turismo as you've known it since its beginnings, and no major changes have to the control scheme in this version. I found myself missing the analog trigger as the gas pedal, and a second analog stick would have been nice for a gas/brake combo, but I had no problem racing with the good ol' buttons either.

I tried a few tracks in Time Trial and then Arcade Mode. Sony had unlocked several cars, ranging from rally vehicles to F1-style ones, and all of them had the same steering response that we've grown acustomed to in series games. I had the pleasure of playing GT PSP on the PSP Go, and I had no issues completining races, though again I found myself wanting to use the fancy new PSP Go triggers as gas pedals.

There's also a Challenge Mode with tons of events to play through, and a four-player ad hoc mode that we didn't get a chance to try out. On top of that, you'll have 800 vehicles and 30 tracks to keep you busy. We hear that PlayStation Network content will be made available later, too.

Even though Gran Turismo PSP is a portable game, it's not some shrunken down Gran Turismo experience. From what we've seen, this is a massive game, made to be played on a small screen. I can only imagine that Polyphony Digital has been packing in content and features all of this time we've been waiting. We'll be looking forward to getting our hands on the full version, closer to the October 1st release, right alongside the PSP Go sytem.

DLC a possibility? :)

It looks like he's fully controlling the throttle and brakes too, but is that even possible on the PSP's hardware?

A lot of movies is starting to show up!! When do we get a demo? :) I feel like a kid again, waiting for christmas. For crying out loud I'm 24 years old!!!

Last edited:
Back