GT PSP weak point

Consigliere

Premium
Consigliere
Posted this earlier on another forum but thought it would be more interesting with GTP's users' opinions.

GT Mobile is actually growing on me. I didn't think it would. I thought the controls would be impossible but they turn out to be acutally pretty decent. However, there are two things with the game that I feel are huge draw-backs.

1) The speed at which you can progress in the game. Progress is way too fast. This is of course due to the lack of a career mode and I miss it so! I do realize that the game it supposed to be 'pick-up-and-play' and I can only pray GT5 will use the old formula of a slow, steady grind with ever evolving slow cars that after much work earn you enough cash to buy the super cars you want. I even felt GT4 was too fast-paced with all the cars you won. Loved every minute of GT3 with my beloved AE86!

2) The 'rubberband effect' in GT Mobile/PSP is just ridiculous! I started a mini-endurance on Seattle (love that track for some reason) with a BMW M3 GTR. Lovely. Started pulling away up to almost two seconds at the end of lap one. I thought, I've chosen a car that's too fast! But then and there my lead stopped growing. For every lap I did the AI matched my pace like the cars behind me were tied to the back of my car with string. It didn't matter wether I did a blazingly fast lap or completely blew 2 or 3 corners, the AI was right on my tail, 1,5 - 2 seconds back. It also seems the boost they get is increased at the end of the race? I noticed I did my fastest lap on the penultimate lap by something like half a second. However the AI (out of nowhere) gained 1,2 seconds on me. This really stops me from enjoying the game fully.

...sorry for the rant..

Cheers!

Last edited:
Hiya, i don't mind there not being any career mode too much. But the rubber banding is quite annoying. Maybe in the future there might be some download packs to remove rubber banding or a career mode and thats a big MAYBE.

on the sarthe classic race I found that irrespective of my lead the cars catch up on the main drag, whether or not they are in my slip stream...but once they get to me...nothing I can keep pace etc...

It's the rubber banding at the end that really drives me nuts. I've lost races at the end of the last lap several times due to it, I'll be in the lead by a second or two, and then suddenly the 2nd place car just blows my doors off out of nowhere.

I can deal with the rubber banding, but the lack of digital buttons is killing me, and the placement of the analog nub is really uncomfortable.

Give me a PSP with Bluetooth, slimmed down dualshock layout including two analog sticks, and mobile cell processor and I'd be happy.

There was a whole thread about the rubber banding on here recently... most people hate it and a few people decided you should like it or drop down to B class because you aren't good enough.

It's the rubber banding at the end that really drives me nuts. I've lost races at the end of the last lap several times due to it, I'll be in the lead by a second or two, and then suddenly the 2nd place car just blows my doors off out of nowhere.

You don't sound like the REAL Takumi Fujiwara. :P haha just kidding.
Honestly though, I don't know what you guys are talking about. "Rubber banding" on the last lap right before the finish line? Really? I have not noticed this on any track. They AI's do stick to you but they will not pass you if:
1) you recover quickly enough
2) the forced error isn't one that ends a race like in real life (i.e. throwing your car into the sand pit)

The WEAKEST link in my opinion are 2 things:
1) Rear view mirror on cars with no rear view mirrors.
2) Rally cars with rear view mirrors but the mirror doesn't reflect the dust kicked up by your tyres for some odd reason. But when you look back, OH HEY! the dust actually does exist somehow.

You don't sound like the REAL Takumi Fujiwara. :P haha just kidding.
Honestly though, I don't know what you guys are talking about. "Rubber banding" on the last lap right before the finish line? Really? I have not noticed this on any track. They AI's do stick to you but they will not pass you if:
1) you recover quickly enough
2) the forced error isn't one that ends a race like in real life (i.e. throwing your car into the sand pit)

The WEAKEST link in my opinion are 2 things:
1) Rear view mirror on cars with no rear view mirrors.
2) Rally cars with rear view mirrors but the mirror doesn't reflect the dust kicked up by your tyres for some odd reason. But when you look back, OH HEY! the dust actually does exist somehow.

The rear view mirrors only pick up selected details. If you look carefully, there are actually A LOT of details other than dust kicked up by the wheels that are not displayed in the rear view mirrors.

Although I agree that the game's progress is too fast-paced, it's necessary for the way it is packaged. I'm sure all of us here at GTP won't mind the old-school style where you take ages to build up your car collection, but the casual PSP player won't like it. That said, the game only progresses as fast as you want it to. I'm currently at Day ~170, and in my collection of almost 300 cars I only have about 5 supercars & racecars in total. What I'm trying to say is, if you buy the 'lesser' cars first, and save the 'better' cars for later, the game progress will still be the same as older GTs :).

As for RBE, I'm not bothered in the slightest bit. Sure it would be better if we have proper, good AI. But I'm content with what I have.

For me, the weak point is why PD got rid of some contents from GT4 (such as no nighttime tracks, no Aston Martins and cars like Jay Leno tank car). I'm not really mind about RBE though.

Dropping final drive from tuning seems atrocious.

It's surprising there's no Tank Car given Jay Leno's participation.

Tank Car. Single Model. Super Speedway! :)

*Groans*

someone mentioned final drive again...arghhhhhhhhh

I am certain that the biggest weak point is the "accelerated" purchasing after the challenges and then the "slow" version after you have complete the challenges...

...I have a Zonda and a few other good cars but now I am scrimping and saving!

Oh and then I bought the Gillet and OH MY GOOOOOOOOOD purleeeaaassssseeee what a waste of time and gearing! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Not only that, but no matter what the other cars are, they are always close together. If the 2nd place car gets past you, you know 3rd and 4th are going to be right behind. In GT4 it seem that every race had one car that was slow. In GTPSP it seems that even if on paper one car should be slower than the others it still keeps up with the faster cars.

Not only that, but no matter what the other cars are, they are always close together. If the 2nd place car gets past you, you know 3rd and 4th are going to be right behind.

That is what was so infuriating to me about Motorstorm, as you progressed, that is how they decided to make it difficult, by keeping a tighter pack. So you either get first or last :grumpy:

Jerome

the races giving you cheapass money, even on S races

no money for time trial races. its a waste of a day with no progress made towards getting a new car

*Groans*

someone mentioned final drive again...arghhhhhhhhh

I am certain that the biggest weak point is the "accelerated" purchasing after the challenges and then the "slow" version after you have complete the challenges...

...I have a Zonda and a few other good cars but now I am scrimping and saving!

Oh and then I bought the Gillet and OH MY GOOOOOOOOOD purleeeaaassssseeee what a waste of time and gearing! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Thanks for telling us about the Gillet. I'd wondered if the game optimized your final drive for you for each track, but I guess not.

Purchasing? Cr150,000 * number of races you can stand to run in one game day? Makes it easyish to snap up almost everything under Cr100,000, and the odd Cr1,000,000ish car every now-and-then. True, the Cr2,000,000+ cars do seem a long way off. Especially the Cr4,000,000+ ones.

So, true, it does seem like a more expensive or "higher class" car should get more money for the same length race.

At the risk of turning into a wish-list, it would be nice if "single-make" (which really means "single-model") could be more generalized.

Something like...
Manufacturers (choose one or several)
Single Model Y/N (or could be done by following?)
String which occurs in car name (e.g. RX-7, coupe, wagon)
Countries of Origin (choose one or several)
Model Years (start/end)
HP (min/max)
Type Street/Rally/Racing

Last edited:
RBE is way too intense but I'm ok with it, I just don't do any risky races because of it.

I also feel the game style is appropriate... I think of GT PSP as an investment in GT5. It's not as much for fun as it is just to collect cars for GT5. Sad, I guess.

The thing that causes me the most woe is the lack of analogue. I started playing using Sim physics, but after a while I just gave up. It just not fun. I'm tapping d-pads and buttons so crazily, the PSP is all over the place and I can't see the screen. lol

I can deal with the rubber banding, but the lack of digital buttons is killing me, and the placement of the analog nub is really uncomfortable.

Give me a PSP with Bluetooth, slimmed down dualshock layout including two analog sticks, and mobile cell processor and I'd be happy.
You mean, you have a PSP with ANALOGUE butons?! ;)

Cast back to the original GT that launched with a pad that had purely digital buttons just like the current PSP version. People never complained then, so why complain now? It's not a case of being spoiled with newer tech since then, it's just a case of re-learning something - a challenge that I'm sure the PSP version needs based on what I'm reading on its longevity.

I have tried moving between the analogue stick and the d-pad but I have to say as annoying as the stick is (suddenly not turning as it sticks a little...) it is far easier to control than the d-pad which is a little too high on the PSP for me.

I don't actually think that I can play the PSP for hours (unlike the Enduros of GT3/4) because my hands hurt a little after 1/2 hour ish...

I remember hearing about the possibility of updates/patches being implemented on the PSP through a future firmware update. I would be all for some updates to GTPSP namely:

• fix rubber banding
• add more tuning options (gear ratios, break-balance, etc)

While patches are something that's possible, there is an extent to which patches can reasonably be applied. Adding in modules like a new car or a new track should be doable... changing the game engine can be quite tricky.

Recently MS tweaked some games to work with NATAL to give demos, when asked if these changes could be released as patches to make the games NATAL compatible the answer was no, they were too major and the game would just have to get re released to be feasible.

So patches do have their limits in terms of what is realistically patchable.

For me, the weak point is why PD got rid of some contents from GT4 (such as no nighttime tracks, no Aston Martins and cars like Jay Leno tank car). I'm not really mind about RBE though.

If you look at the way the game has been designed, you can pick any car, any track and you will have 4 cars on track at any time. I think the cars/tracks they dropped were because they couldn't get 4 cars on the track with a Tank Car at the same time, or the night tracks chugged too much. I think they have done that for playability rather than confuse some people and limit certain cars/tracks only to Time Trial mode. As KY has said, he sees GT PSP as an entry point to the GT franchise, so to keep things simple, a few cars/tracks have been dropped. Thats just my thoughts on why they have dropped a few cars, but doesn't explain the Aston Martin absence, wonder if that was a license issue or what happened there.

If you look at the way the game has been designed, you can pick any car, any track and you will have 4 cars on track at any time. I think the cars/tracks they dropped were because they couldn't get 4 cars on the track with a Tank Car at the same time, or the night tracks chugged too much. I think they have done that for playability rather than confuse some people and limit certain cars/tracks only to Time Trial mode. As KY has said, he sees GT PSP as an entry point to the GT franchise, so to keep things simple, a few cars/tracks have been dropped. Thats just my thoughts on why they have dropped a few cars, but doesn't explain the Aston Martin absence, wonder if that was a license issue or what happened there.

👍 Yup, KY did say GT PSP would be an entry point to the GT franchise, the franchise leading up to GT5 no doubt. The inherent undertones would suggest that this game would be a worthwhile attachment to GT5, building on what some other competitor games don't have: a companion handheld game.

True, they did drop the Leno tank car, but they replaced it with the Leno voice :P Quite honestly, I preferred the tank car :cool: But I think the reason they didn't include it was probably due to it's exclusion from GT5 all together.

Aston Martin is a prominent manufacturer with a proud racing history, but between GT4 and GT5, you may have a good point regarding licensing as ownership has changed hands between that time. I can see why they opted to leave the Nike car out. Although good in concept, I never really had much playtime in that car-- that and the Benz carriage.:sly:

For me, the weakness still lies in the AI. As far as my experience goes it is much improved but still needs some more refinement. My thinking goes along the lines of how they fail to draft one another to pass you up, much less keep up. I could understand them not doing it in the lower ranks in an effort to sway the race more towards the player, but in the upper ranks they should be using all sorts of strategies in order to get ahead, not just out powering or out "gripping/drifting" the player. Now this point leads to another observation. With just about every car I've driven, in same make races, I am able to pull away from the AI cars relatively easily. Again, I can accept that in the lower ranks, but not in the upper ones. Of course, as usual, the majority of my observations are with the GNX. Since it is the only one of it's make/model, the cars should be 100% identical, so why am I able to in many cases get some very good gaps/leads from the rest of the grid? (Test Track is a prime example) Granted, drafting makes the gap wider but with little or no drafting I can still get some good distance from the AI. In S rank, I'd expect those cars to keep tight formations and draft each other up to higher speeds on the straights and whatever other "good" tactics can be used elsewhere. Now with very different cars on the grid I'd expect some slight variations in positions, but comparable vehicles should still remain relatively close.

Something I think we should all try out just to see something silly:

Using the Escudo pikes peak:

Grand canyon - Race - 4 Escudos in a row (I didn't select same manufacture)

Try and drive through the smoke in first person...

Then try and overtake without tagging...

It is just the funniest thing I have ever done!

Something I think we should all try out just to see something silly:

Using the Escudo pikes peak:

Grand canyon - Race - 4 Escudos in a row (I didn't select same manufacture)

Try and drive through the smoke in first person...

Then try and overtake without tagging...

It is just the funniest thing I have ever done!

Maybe I'm slow...but I fail to see how this is funny at all :confused:

Back