GT PSP weak point

Perhaps it is my sense of humour...it is almost impossible to see for the first 10-15 seconds and then watching the Escudos try and get around the track...

Ahh yes, indeed. I incorrectly assumed that you had memorized the track. My bad! However if you are ahead of your competition, in the rear view mirror, there is no dust.:sly: Weird huh? :)

Ahh yes, indeed. I incorrectly assumed that you had memorized the track. My bad! However if you are ahead of your competition, in the rear view mirror, there is no dust.:sly: Weird huh? :)

I know the track backwards in my Subaru, but in the Escudo it was my first run...I won by about 19 seconds, but I wouldn't say it was a clean replay...but I noticed what you said...no rear view mirror smoke...

However if you are ahead of your competition, in the rear view mirror, there is no dust.:sly: Weird huh? :)
There is no tire smoke either in the rearview mirror, just like in GT5P. Looking back shows it properly though.

To have a rear view mirror means the game has to render two different camera angles at once, which impacts performance. To make sure that the framrate doesn't drop, they had to cut some details out from the rear view mirrors. The details that's been cut out aren't limited to dust and smoke if you look carefully.

To have a rear view mirror means the game has to render two different camera angles at once, which impacts performance. To make sure that the framrate doesn't drop, they had to cut some details out from the rear view mirrors. The details that's been cut out aren't limited to dust and smoke if you look carefully.
huh good call. You might notice this also but when you're on a rally track kicking up dust, when you look backwards, the dust comes up very artificially...too fake for my preference. Dust in general has not been rendered very well in the game.
And I think I know what you're saying, the rear view mirror has close to 0 detail in it. Objects that appear in the rear view mirror are smaller than they are in reality :P

I think the "rally" in this game is broken. It doesn't deserve to be called rally. Having to say to my self "6 left into 5 right tightens into 3" to convince myself it's rally is bad enough, couple that with the fact that it's lap based and there are 3 other cars on the same course as you.

So it's not rally, but off road racing against opponents that know NOTHING about off road racing.

I think the "rally" in this game is broken. It doesn't deserve to be called rally.
That's because there is no rally in the game. ;) Just dirt tracks. The closest thing to rally is to select time trial and do just one lap.

I tried getting my wife to sit on the couch next to me shouting numbers in my ear, but she freaked out. :P

The low point of the game IMO would have to be the AI. It seems like they have forgotten how to drive a straight line. in the mulsanne straight in La Sarthe, when i am in 1st place, I put the rear view on and I see that the AI is slipping and sliding all over the straight. They don't draft and pass each other like they would in GT4. It also seems that the Rubberbanding is in full effect no matter what difficulty you are on. The AI is always behind you no matter what. if you mess up a corner like taking it too wide or braking too early, they all pass you and it isn't easy passing them in S difficulty.
I hope the AI is much improved in GT5.

My main gripe would be the Catch-Up or rubberband effect, I often lose 1st on the last lap because the pack who were about 4 seconds behind no gain this ungodly acceleration and destroy me, it does get quite aggravating at times.

I was following some cars on one of the city circuits and one of the AI went sideways and crashed, I couldn't get past for about 5 seconds and couldn't catch P1.

yes it is a little annoying. but i believe this may be the AI in the game. i think it learns your driving habits(aka your lap times) then adjusts to them to make the game more challenging. it makes you a better driver though because you cant make stupid mistakes just because your in the lead.

The repetitive AI, meaning how many times you can go against the same damn car for example when you are racing in a Veyron and you are up against 3 Citroen GT's. Or how When I race in Sarthe Old, When i am in a Viper GTSR race car, i am up against 2 sometimes 3 chaparall 2j's and sometimes just another Viper. well you guys get my drift.

It would be nice if you could watch, and preferably save, replays of multi-player races.
I guess maybe the machines are all already pretty busy communicating without having to also update a replay, though.

(And, FWIW, when driving autopilot, I keep thinking I'm in B-spec, and try to go watch a different car!)

Weak point for me is being forced to wait for dealerships. You really have to hold back on your purchases for a car that you REALLY want. Can you believe that I am "upset" because I bought a RUF yellow Bird and Lotus Motorsport the day before the R8 LMS Team Playstation showed up? I want that R8 so bad but I can't afford it. :(

I hope I can trade/share on ad-hoc party...

Last edited:
the dealerships are a huge down for me. i prefer the original dealerships (where you had all the new cars avalible all the time but slightly more expensive, and a used car list that changed every week, which had cheaper cars). it was great when they brought that back in GT4. i hope they bring it back in GT5...

i know the progress for this game had to be quicker, but i unlocked the end credits in a few hours. which is WAY too quick, even for people who are probably new to GT.

I unlocked the end credits quickly too. They definitely seemed out of place as there are more challenges afterward..

I understand why PD chopped up the dealerships. It makes each car more valuable and gives everyone a different list of tradeable or shareable cars. The problem with this is I don't know anyone with a PSP or who plays GT as avidly as I do, so it becomes painfull to find the car that you want.

Luckily the gameplay is solid.

http://stason.org/TULARC/sports/for...at-a-brake-light-on-the-back-of-the-cars.html
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Do_F1_cars_have_brake_lights

Say that light on the back of an F1 car is a constant running light for wet weather.

See also...
http://www.f1newstoday.com/blogit/category/brake-lights/

On topic...
In some ways GTPSP combines the worst aspects of the series' traditional arcade and simulation modes. (All cars are in "used car lots", there are no structured events (no real "career"), there are sort of license tests, sort of...; you need to make Credits, or do you? Are you owning your cars, or just "unlocking" them? I mean, unlike previous Simulation Modes, you can't get rid of them (except for trades). And, unlike previous Simulation Modes, there are no [very few?] prize cars).

Shouldn't the Sharer or Receiver of cars, or both, be able to decide to not give or receive certain cars? On the other hand, trades of multiple cars should be faster.

Last edited:
Shouldn't the Sharer or Receiver of cars, or both, be able to decide to not give or receive certain cars? On the other hand, trades of multiple cars should be faster.

I totally agree with this. Some random kid on ad-hoc gave me 749 cars last night. The R8 was welcomed 👍 but now my car list is ridden with crappy duplicates and I don't see a way to delete or sell a car. :indiff:

Thanks but no thanks.

Crappy duplicates meaning a colour you don't like? You don't actually get duplicates of a colour via share. (Or maybe you mean Skyline V-spec versus Skyline V-spec II).

(And then there's the two Dodge Team Oreca Vipers--sort of nice that one, because they have different numbers).

I just got BSOD (Black Screen Of Death) last night after grinding a fair few millions with my Bugatti, and this brings up another GTPSP weakness to my attention.

You can't save from the pre-race screen.

It's silly that you have to exit all the way to the top menu to save. PD must have overlooked this design feature or maybe they are too lazy to add another button to the pre-race menu.

Well, they presumably assumed autosave on? But I'm not sure it autosaves in that case, either.

It autosaves when you quit back out of the pre-race screen. It does so that it autosaves, or only allows you to manually save at the passing of a day.

Back