GT "Simcade"?

• Thread starter Beart8o
  • 157 comments
^ Ermm... I wouldn't say that, I know that at some point, damage, sounds, bot A.I. and a few other small details need to be tended to properly. Race Mod... Livery Editor... Event Maker... Course Maker... Online Manager tools... we all have our druthers. But whatever PD can accomplish for GT7 should be in.

Those aren't small by any stretch you placing them as such is just another display of your zealous intentions to save face rather than be rational in conversation about it, even once. These issues needing fixing are some that have been worked on for a five years to a decade...

Last edited:
To be perfectly honest with you guys, the physics are pretty good and Polyphony should focus more on the FUN. Even though I consider Gran Turismo 6 as a semi-simulator, I think this is enough because the game has flaws that need to be fixed rather than improving the already impressive physics for this console racer.

.... Oh well, one of us is having fun racing.

I've gotta know what you are doing to be able to use the R-word in such a manner. Or even at all. I am running comfort tires of all flavors, detuning motors, and adding big ballasts -and none of it matters when a line of A.I. all brake 50+ meters early before a turn. Then on the next lap, the next group of ducklings will do it again at the same turn. This runs from the Sunday Cup, through the Super Races, into the famed Red Bull Events -which would be fantastic without the poor braking.

What is the secret for enjoying this hot hot action, sir?

I know some people growl about that, but difficulty slider, handicapping cars... difficulty is difficulty.

It's a different experience racing a crippled car vs poor drivers than it is racing a car at 100% vs pros. In the former case, image it's done through engine detuning. You'll make it so laps are the same across the board, but then the AI will plow through you on straights but still road block you in the corners. You could go down tire levels, but it might feel a bit silly putting road tires on race cars. Then you also have all those accounts I've heard (don't own GT6) of AI suddenly slowing down on purpose to lose, which can't be fixed by sabotaging your car.

Self limiting is an option, but it's not something people should settle for.

To be perfectly honest with you guys, the physics are pretty good and Polyphony should focus more on the FUN. Even though I consider Gran Turismo 6 as a semi-simulator, I think this is enough because the game has flaws that need to be fixed rather than improving the already impressive physics for this console racer.
I honestly think fun is the easy part to fix. Make the GT5 secret menu not so secret and you instantly have the best GT single player mode ever. I don't think GT's physics are at an acceptable level where further development can be totally sidelined.

I honestly think fun is the easy part to fix. Make the GT5 secret menu not so secret and you instantly have the best GT single player mode ever. I don't think GT's physics are at an acceptable level where further development can be totally sidelined.
Further development is definitely need on physics, just to get camber to work would be nice, but it's probably the most advanced part of the whole package and could easily be sidelined (if necessary) for GT7, in favour of efforts on many other things missing or poorly done.

It's a different experience racing a crippled car vs poor drivers than it is racing a car at 100% vs pros. In the former case, image it's done through engine detuning. You'll make it so laps are the same across the board, but then the AI will plow through you on straights but still road block you in the corners. You could go down tire levels, but it might feel a bit silly putting road tires on race cars. Then you also have all those accounts I've heard (don't own GT6) of AI suddenly slowing down on purpose to lose, which can't be fixed by sabotaging your car.

It's not sabotaging, it's choosing according to your skill level. The particular race limits are set high to cater for all levels of skill.

On the first and last sentences, I know, I know, it's not a good game element. But since we're stuck with the bots we have for the foreseeable future, this work around does work okay.

It's a gross exaggeration that the bots always slow down and let you win. You do have to do a lot of shortsheeting if you're a very good racer, like 100-200 PP less than the suggested race limit, or 20% or so whacked off. Then, depending how good you are, the bots will win some races. And on that note...

I've gotta know what you are doing to be able to use the R-word in such a manner. Or even at all.
What I do is "race mod" up sports cars in the i-A races and pit them against race cars. A lot of them aren't so sure footed as the race cars when you throw Racing Hards on them, so I end up taking turns as slow as the bots. And I've been beaten to the finish line about half the time, sometimes in third or fourth place. It's how I manage it.

It's not sabotaging, it's choosing according to your skill level. The particular race limits are set high to cater for all levels of skill.
In most video games [aka all video games since the beginning of time], you choose a preset difficulty level, you don't change how you play to match really crappy AI. You don't attack a Nazi machine gun nest with a pack of gum and three toothpicks do you?

In most video games [aka all video games since the beginning of time], you choose a preset difficulty level, you don't change how you play to match really crappy AI. You don't attack a Nazi machine gun nest with a pack of gum and three toothpicks do you?

I seem to recall Enthusia is similar to GT, so saying all video games have a presetable difficulty is a slight exaggeration.
The thing about driving games is the range of choice, tuning levels and drivers aids, which in some ways makes having preset difficulty levels redundant.

Guys, the thing is:

- Simulator: F1 simulator + military simulator + 10000$ hardware-only-simulator-game;
- High-range simulation (not simulator, it's a different thing): rFactor 2;
- Mid-range simulation: Assetto Corsa;
- Low-range simulation: Simraceway + rFactor 1;
- Simcade: Forza Motorsport 5 + Gran Turismo 6;
- Sensationsimulation: Shift 2 Unleashed;
- Arcade simulation: Grid 2;
- Full arcade: Need for Speed Rivals + Burnout Paradise + Ridge Racer Driftopia.

For Project C.A.R.S. I don't know where to put it, if in "Low-end simulation" or "Simcade". As it is in Pre-Aplha, they are still able to change the heaviness and kind of the physic.

^ Ermm... I wouldn't say that, I know that at some point, damage, sounds, bot A.I. and a few other small details need to be tended to properly. Race Mod... Livery Editor... Event Maker... Course Maker... Online Manager tools... we all have our druthers. But whatever PD can accomplish for GT7 should be in.
Small details lol the AI are one of the main features of any racing game as are the sounds , really this ↑ post is blatant delusion.

Well, then I guess about ten million fans like crap then and are delusional. Oh well. ;)

Of course it would be helpful if you wouldn't act like enjoying what we have doesn't mean we never want things to be better. Ya know, if you want to have an actual discussion rather than play one-up word games.

Those are small by any stretch you placing them as such is just another display of your zealous intentions to save face rather than be rational in conversation about it, even once. These issues needing fixing are some that have been worked on for a five years to a decade...
Sure, boss. Same to you.

10 million fans ? There you go again being delusional.

Where on earth have you got the figure 10 million fans from geez the games barely sold 2 million copys and not all of those buyers were fans , 10 million lol .

Instead of speaking for 10 million imaginary people you would be better of just speaking for yourself.

Last edited:
Well, then I guess about ten million fans like crap then and are delusional. Oh well. ;)

Of course it would be helpful if you wouldn't act like enjoying what we have doesn't mean we never want things to be better. Ya know, if you want to have an actual discussion rather than play one-up word games.

Sure, boss. Same to you.

Once again argue to the topic with actual facts and not what you hold dear to your heart, I've been on the board officially for 3 years now and I've yet to see you make an effort to do such.

This is a simcade and so are most if not all realistic console racing games

Last edited:
Once again argue to topic with actual facts and not what what you hold dear to you heart, I've been on the board officially for 3 years now and I've yet to see you make an effort to do such.
Well, you're either not following my posts very closely or your making that up, because not nearly EVERYTHING involved in Gran Turismo is an emotional reaction or an opinion.

You, for example, are notoriously silent when it comes to complaints against Gran Turismo that are blatantly untrue. Such as claims that all the sounds in Gran Turismo are wrong, sound like vacuum cleaners, etc. Clearly false, blatantly opinionated, but where are you? I've pretty much kept out of most of those discussions critics hold dear to their hearts - every darn day no less - because no bitter grinch is going to listen.

What's your Ten D problem today? Or yesterday? Rhetorical question, because I don't care. I'm not here to be your leash boy. I'm here, like everyone else - who's a fan anyhow, to express things about GT6 and related racers and future GTs in this particular board. If what I post really gripes you out, there is this little feature called "ignore" and it will bring you all kinds of peace of mind. ;)

You mean that a 10 year old playing GT6 for a week can rival the best times? Or do you mean something like NFS?

This does not happen with ANY game. I can beat Need for Speed Carbon without buying a single car or upgrade, does that make the game easy to beat? Yes. Does that mean I can even come close to the best NFS Carbon drivers? Hell no. Driving at the limit in NFS games is a lot harder than people think, just because you're winning your career races by 40 seconds doesn't mean you're good at the game when compared to other players.

This does not happen with ANY game. I can beat Need for Speed Carbon without buying a single car or upgrade, does that make the game easy to beat? Yes. Does that mean I can even come close to the best NFS Carbon drivers? Hell no. Driving at the limit in NFS games is a lot harder than people think, just because you're winning your career races by 40 seconds doesn't mean you're good at the game when compared to other players.

I didn't say that the best NFS players where easy to beat.

People make me laugh when they slate NFS games , there latest one " rivals" is a class game great graphics great sound and real fun , and its no easier to trump an arcade game than it is a simcade game both require skill in order to be good just in different ways, im very good at both GT and Forza but I struggle on NFS games, just because a game is arcade doesn't mean its no good

Both the graphics and sound in rivals are far better than any GT game and thats with a lot more going on on screen.

No but you're better than 90% of people playing it. Driving on the limit in these arcade games is more about knowing all the little secrets and nuances about the game than actual skill, kinda like Call of Duty.

People make me laugh when they slate NFS games , there latest one " rivals" is a class game great graphics great sound and real fun , and its no easier to trump an arcade game than it is a simcade game both require skill in order to be good just in different ways, im very good at both GT and Forza but I struggle on NFS games, just because a game is arcade doesn't mean its no good

Both the graphics and sound in rivals are far better than any GT game and thats with a lot more going on on screen.

People who don't read what I say make me laugh.

I really think that GT is a substantial effort to at least try to recreate real-life driving on a console. It's not perfect, but it is pleasing in my opinion.
By the way I hate the term 'simcade'. If someone running an arcade wants to take a PC running rFactor or GTR2 and set it up inside an arcade machine, does that make it an arcade game? In a literal sense yes, but by the purist's definition, the game is exactly the same.

Your message heavily implied that it would be easier to reach a high skill level in NFS than it would be in GT6, when it is not the case. Many people just "think" they have skill because they are beating A.I by a minute.

Your message heavily implied that it would be easier to reach a high skill level in NFS than it would be in GT6, when it is not the case. Many people just "think" they have skill because they are beating A.I by a minute.
That's not what I meant. I've played NFS I completely agree with you that it is hard to beat the best. I mean that it's easier to learn how to drive in arcade games, than in games with more realistic physics.

Type something worth reading and maybe people will read It , just saying ;-)

That's not what I meant. I've played NFS I completely agree with you that it is hard to beat the best. I mean that it's easier to learn how to drive in arcade games, than in games with more realistic physics.
1, you forgot to put in your opinion

2 ,Not true, imho both styles are unique to each other and both can be easy to learn but difficult to master.

3, Realistic is only deemed so by the player playing the game , we all have our own interpretation on realistic hence forza & GT both have different physics yet both are aimed at the sim "realistic" style market.

Last edited by a moderator:

Not really. Arcade games are generally designed specifically to be easy to drive. There are examples where the developer has failed to do this, and there may be tricky depths beyond that intial "easyness", but I don't find the statement that arcade games in general are easier to pick up and learn than simulators particularly opinion based. They just are, that's largely the point of arcade games.

If it was easier to get in and go 200 miles an hour drifting your Veyron around corners in a simulator, then all arcade games would have really realistic physics, because what they're going for is user friendliness.

If what I post really gripes you out, there is this little feature called "ignore" and it will bring you all kinds of peace of mind. ;)
I've seen you make enough close-to-the-wire personal attacks on people who don't subscribe to your philosophy to suggest that this might be a good time to start taking your own advice. Your flippancy thinly masks an underlying animosity. You aren't always right but in-spite of being asked to provide proof for your theories on many occasions, you deflect the question with some apparent insight into someone else's flaws. You stay just the right side of the line to not incur an infraction but you're losing credibility every time you do it. Take some advice - change your style or start adding people to your ignore list. The onus is always on you to prove you're right and you can't do that by simply stating that everyone else is wrong and then flipping them off.

2 ,Not true, imho both styles are unique to each other and both can be easy to learn but difficult to master.

3, Realistic is only deemed so by the player playing the game , we all have our own interpretation on realistic hence forza & GT both have different physics yet both are aimed at the sim "realistic" style market.
Do you honestly think that GT, Forza, and PC sims are easy to master as arcade games where you can easily drift every corner?

Type something worth reading and maybe people will read It , just saying ;-)
:rolleyes:

Back