GT Sport and VR

GhostCaliber

(Banned)
United States
United States
Anybody ever used VR for this game as more than just a passing gimmick?

I'm considering picking up the VR starter pack, but still trying to decide whether it's actually worth it as the only two standout applications I can see for it would be playing GT Sport with it, and Skyrim.

Anyone have any experiences with it on GTS? Like is it possible to use it competitively without feeling motion sick or getting headaches?

Dirt rally is amazing in VR for GTS it’s more of a tech demo. Drive club is good also but the mp servers have been turned off.
That said there’s a ton of great games out there for VR.

Edit: motion sickness for me isn’t a thing in GTS much more so in dirt rally. I’ve never had headaches although it can get really hot in there for extended play sessions.

It’s definitely a gimmick / tech demo as you both have pointed out. I definitely wouldn’t recommend purchasing VR just for GT Sport.

The motion sickness is entirely a genetic situation. GT Sport is fine for me, but I know people who get nauseas within 60 seconds, it’s crazy.

I’ve had PSVR for some now.

For GTS it’s a great experience that unfortunately is lacking in terms of depth. It’s also essential, IMO, that it’s paired with a wheel—the experience suffers significantly with a pad.

As for PSVR as a platform, I’m more than happy with it—especially if you have a pair of Moves.

Some great titles include Beat Saber, Moss, Astro Bot, Wipeout Collection, Superhot VR.

Plus it’ll be compatible with PS5, so I’m expecting the next GT to be fully playable in VR.

What Bradley said really. VR content in GTS is pretty light, I never race the AI any more as it's so slow, although I still do time trials in VR, a lot more since I got a wheel as well, the immersion is great with it. The other element is the showroom, which doesn't get mentioned a lot on here, but if you're someone that likes making liveries, seeing a lifesize car with your livery on it is very cool.

If you're going to play other games as well it's worth it, Beat Saber is amazing, one of my friends bought a PSVR setup based on playing that alone on mine, and dirt rally is good as the whole game can be played in VR, including the 6 car rallycross races with competitive AI.

Sony have confirmed that the current headset will be compatible with the PS5, I'm very excited for full GT racing in VR next time around.

GTS has the best driving VR on PSVR imo. It needs more modes but graphically and feel it’s best.

WipEout beats it in that aspect but it isn’t a driving game with traditional cars.

I couldn’t stand Driveclub VR despite actual race modes because of the floating hands.

I kind of like psvr. Its also surpricingly natural to drive GTS with the "big screen mode" - not true vr, but due to the size of the screen one naturally turns head to look apex.:cheers:

I just cant see why we dont get a super wide curved virtual screen for games without vr support..:odd:

Here is something special and claustrophobic from psvr. A dive in to night of mount panorama. :scared: Very dark id say. Psvr does struggle a bit with the darkest and brightest spots - i guess due to oled.

I kind of like psvr. Its also surpricingly natural to drive GTS with the "big screen mode" - not true vr, but due to the size of the screen one naturally turns head to look apex.:cheers:

I just cant see why we dont get a super wide curved virtual screen for games without vr support..:odd:

Here is something special and claustrophobic from psvr. A dive in to night of mount panorama. :scared: Very dark id say. Psvr does struggle a bit with the darkest and brightest spots - i guess due to oled.

Adjust the light exposure in the video settings. The setting applies to PSVR same as it does to your TV so you may have to adjust it on a per use basis unless you can find a happy medium in between. At around +2.0 you can see everything at Panorama. Cheers ! :cheers:

Adjust the light exposure in the video settings. The setting applies to PSVR same as it does to your TV so you may have to adjust it on a per use basis unless you can find a happy medium in between. At around +2.0 you can see everything at Panorama. Cheers ! :cheers:

I can’t play big screen because the screen drift makes me rage.

I can’t play big screen because the screen drift makes me rage.
Why do you have drift in cinema mode? I don’t think it even uses tracking in cinema mode but if it does you need to calibrate your camera. Make sure there’s no reflective surfaces in view that your headset could be reflecting off of and try to put your camera up on top of your TV.

I think there's good and bad to it.

-It's the closest thing to actually being on track without paying for a track day.
-It allows you to work on ultra fine details in regards to your race-craft.
-There's no adjustment of anything on the fly, so if you want to bump brake bias back a notch you have to exit out.
-It's only for time trials and viewing, you cannot actually race someone
-Motion sickness can be an issue
-It's really fun

Why do you have drift in cinema mode? I don’t think it even uses tracking in cinema mode but if it does you need to calibrate your camera. Make sure there’s no reflective surfaces in view that your headset could be reflecting off of and try to put your camera up on top of your TV.

Oh mate I’ve tried a million things. It always drifts. To be fair I’ve not used it all this year so not something that constantly bugs me

Drift is a known problem of the PSVR, exactly BECAUSE it doesn't use the camera in cinema mode. So the camera can't offset the drift that is a gyroscope issue.

A whole amount of PSVR v1 has that issue, and a lot less of PSVR V2 has it.

EDIT anyway here are some excerpts of good fun with VR mode :

There's a lot of runs in VR on my YT channel of you wish ;)

Last edited:
If you press Home+Square
it gives you a zoomed in view similar to VR and you can control the position on the left analogue stick, if they remapped it to the right stick instead we could still use the left stick to still steer in-game with the zoomed in viewpoint, sadly it’s only really usable for replays.

Drift is a known problem of the PSVR, exactly BECAUSE it doesn't use the camera in cinema mode. So the camera can't offset the drift that is a gyroscope issue.

This is big for me, I must have v1 as I bought it at launch. When I'm not on track the screen is constantly drifting to the left. I tried to watch a replay with the vr on and after 2 minutes I was facing perpendicular to the camera. I didn't know others where having this issue too (I'm not online much). I have notice that sometimes while I'm on track the POV seems to sink downwards like I'm shrinking but that's hard to notice if I'm running hard laps.

I've also notice the vr goes black when I'm in the super formula and I look too far into the corners. I've tried putting the camera on a tripod right in front of me, turn off the lights in the room, and lower the window shades but no luck.

This is big for me, I must have v1 as I bought it at launch. When I'm not on track the screen is constantly drifting to the left. I tried to watch a replay with the vr on and after 2 minutes I was facing perpendicular to the camera. I didn't know others where having this issue too (I'm not online much). I have notice that sometimes while I'm on track the POV seems to sink downwards like I'm shrinking but that's hard to notice if I'm running hard laps.

I've also notice the vr goes black when I'm in the super formula and I look too far into the corners. I've tried putting the camera on a tripod right in front of me, turn off the lights in the room, and lower the window shades but no luck.
Yeah I know I had the same issue. In contrary of what has been said there weren't any patch that solved the problem, it's purely mechanic and it's a gyroscope problem. Sometimes it is huge drift and sometimes it doesn't happen, as if it were solved.

Personally I sold my v1 (sorry for the guy but Sony doesn't care) and bought a v2. There is still the problem but REALLY less apparent.

For the black screen in the SF, you can set your virtual seat with the Option button : if you feel yourself too high for example, then put your head up and reset your position pressing option long time. So regaining your normal position on your real seat, you will be lower in your virtual seat. You can set your position like that in either way ;)

One of the posters here, can’t remember who, suggested that the in-car VR view is fundamentally flawed.

They posited that the “camera” is on a horizontal swivel which is why the POV shifts on elevation changes. This makes sense to me and accurately describes the sensation I get, especially round Nordschleife.

I hope for PS5 the POV will instead be attached to the driver’s body.

Anybody ever used VR for this game as more than just a passing gimmick?

I'm considering picking up the VR starter pack, but still trying to decide whether it's actually worth it as the only two standout applications I can see for it would be playing GT Sport with it, and Skyrim.

Anyone have any experiences with it on GTS? Like is it possible to use it competitively without feeling motion sick or getting headaches?
Without a wheel and pedals I wouldn't bother with Driving VR.

These are my favourite sit down VR games:
GT Sport TT
Dirt Rally VR
Wipeout VR
Ace Combat 7 - It has some VR missions

I'm moving over to PC near the end of the year as PC VR gaming support is a lot better. By the sounds of it PS5 will continue with VR support, but they haven't released much about the continued VR support. You would think they would be making a big song and dance about it, but they aren't, which makes me think they are going to do half a job like they did with PS4 VR.

One of the posters here, can’t remember who, suggested that the in-car VR view is fundamentally flawed.

They posited that the “camera” is on a horizontal swivel which is why the POV shifts on elevation changes. This makes sense to me and accurately describes the sensation I get, especially round Nordschleife.

I hope for PS5 the POV will instead be attached to the driver’s body.
I wish we will have the choice. Because without a motion sim, you don't naturally tilt the head against the centrifugal force, as we do IRL, and this tends to produce motion sickness. So without motion sim it's a good thing to have a fixed POV. But yes it would be cool to have the choice.

I wish we will have the choice. Because without a motion sim, you don't naturally tilt the head against the centrifugal force, as we do IRL, and this tends to produce motion sickness. So without motion sim it's a good thing to have a fixed POV. But yes it would be cool to have the choice.
Not seeing how it’s a good thing at all.

If you’re driving downhill in real life, your head remains perpendicular to your seat/body—it doesn’t stay level relative to the horizon otherwise you’d end up looking at your headlining.

PSVR or rather VR in general isn't all that summer proof. In winter wearing a headset is fine, in summer it quickly gets uncomfortable. I'm not in the habit of cranking up the AC or moving into the basement to play VR so it largely gets ignored until it gets cold again.

GTS could use a lot of improvements as well for VR. The point of view is the biggest problem, not turning with the car or driver's body. It feels very off when the car rolls and pitches around you while you stay level. Many cars also have the problem of the screen blacking out when you move your head a little too far or you drift from position. Dirt Rally does it all much better and hopefully DR2 also gets PSVR support.

So far Wipeout wins for offering the full game in VR with all the options you want while Ace Combat 7 does it right as well but is limited to only 3 missions.

And Dirt Rally of course

I roll the car there at 0:57, in GTS the car simply rolls around you with you staying level...

PSVR or rather VR in general isn't all that summer proof. In winter wearing a headset is fine, in summer it quickly gets uncomfortable. I'm not in the habit of cranking up the AC or moving into the basement to play VR so it largely gets ignored until it gets cold again.

GTS could use a lot of improvements as well for VR. The point of view is the biggest problem, not turning with the car or driver's body. It feels very off when the car rolls and pitches around you while you stay level. Many cars also have the problem of the screen blacking out when you move your head a little too far or you drift from position. Dirt Rally does it all much better and hopefully DR2 also gets PSVR support.

So far Wipeout wins for offering the full game in VR with all the options you want while Ace Combat 7 does it right as well but is limited to only 3 missions.

And Dirt Rally of course

I roll the car there at 0:57, in GTS the car simply rolls around you with you staying level...

Yeah too true, sim racing in general is hot enough let alone with a VR headset and headphones on. Gets so stuffy so quick just not comfortable to use it when it’s hot.

Not seeing how it’s a good thing at all.

If you’re driving downhill in real life, your head remains perpendicular to your seat/body—it doesn’t stay level relative to the horizon otherwise you’d end up looking at your headlining.
Alright for the horizon but firstly the effect is not that pronounced, I've never been disturbed at Lago Maggiore or Nordshleife.
Secondly it's mainly for the turn situation. IRL if you turn right, the chassis leans to the left due to centrifugal force. But you naturally lean your head to the right to keep it straight and to counter force. That wouldn't be natural without a motion sim even though I would probably get used to it. Notice on your video of Dirt Rally it is exactly the same, the car moves but the POV stands still unless for the roll situation but it's not like if it would happen often in GTS, personally it never ever happened to me.

EDIT anyway here are some excerpts of good fun with VR mode :

I have V1 and I had no idea. I know drift is a problem in VR mode(which I’ve had and fixed) but never had it in cinema mode.

To the OP another trick is to turn the PS4 all the way off and have it laying on a flat surface before turning it on. I’ve heard rest mode and in motion while turning it on can cause issues.

And Dirt Rally of course

You just sold me on both of these games. I love VR. No real struggle with it. Calibration fixed my drift and position issues. Granted, it took 3 or 4 attempts to dial it in correctly. In GT, I use VR once or twice a month just to have fun. Can’t race with it in cinema mode. Yet...

In the second video of the GTS racing etiquette , it seems that we can see the use of VR in a multiplayer race ??:confused::confused:

Back