GT Sport Demo Shines a Light on Photo Mode and Scapes

But it should have been shining a light on driving physics and car selection and track selection.

Except we've known forever now the smaller track and car sizes. And the beta back in the summer showed us plenty in terms of driving physics. We've known nothing of scapes apart from there will be 1000+ and a video demonstrating them from PSacess.

Last edited:
I have been looking forward to these Scapes and the photo mode and it has blown me away. The settings (masking and colour temp photo shop style on any photo) right through to the lighting and 3D movement of the car. The amazing thing is you can go back to a saved Scape and it will have those settings saved as or use a shared Scape and just remove a car or add shutter speed, easy as that!

These features stood out to me in the demo above any other photo mode I have tried.:bowdown: All these were done within a few minutes of messing with the settings!

Being able to move the car backwards and then around a corner in a Scape! So you only see the back end and it moves behind a building. :drool:

Shutter Speed with in any Scape!

The Zoom and Power of the Photomode and the track detail when you stop.

The lighting looks so real!

The Excellent Livery editor (Easy to use and mirror) and then being able to go straight to the garage and watch this in Dynamic Themes (Scapes) Thanks @VBR for the tip ;) and watch your car on real life roads to see how it looks and then go back and tweak the livery or share it.

I also really liked the motion sensor on DS4 for the racing (this was a great find) and really look forward to the full game on Wednesday :cheers:

Last edited:
While this is undoubtedly very impressive, isn't it a bit contradictory when they're pushing 'Sport' as the focus of the game? There's clearly been a lot of time spent on building these scenes and (speaking as someone who's spent years doing actual motorsport photography) I can't help feeling that time would have been much better spent on bringing Grand Valley or Spa to the game.

While this is undoubtedly very impressive, isn't it a bit contradictory when they're pushing 'Sport' as the focus of the game? There's clearly been a lot of time spent on building these scenes and (speaking as someone who's spent years doing actual motorsport photography) I can't help feeling that time would have been much better spent on bringing Grand Valley or Spa to the game.
Yes! please bring Grand Valley, it will not be a true GT without it.

While I sympathize with you, I'm kinda glad we have a racing game that has some different tracks from the norm!

I think that Gran Turismo has always been a showcase game for PlayStation, showing just was is technically possible from the platform. So I think the HDR, photomode/Scapes and replay systems go a long way to achieve this.

Besides, we don't know what is coming down the road in the form of DLC. I've got a pretty good feeling that we will see some classic original tracks, along with real locations and a truckload of cars open up to us.

To me, it makes sense to hold back some favourites for DLC, as it gives them something to sell the DLC with. For instance would you capture people's interest more by offering Tokyo Express Way/Sardegna - Windmills or Deep Forest/Trial Mountain/Grand Valley/etc.

I'm also sure we will see some of the more regular realworld locations return for the FIA stuff!

Just my optimistic view, for now I plan on exploring and enjoying what the base game offers... Let the Grind begin ;)

Don't get me wrong. I like taking photos in GT. But wasting dev time to make 1000 scape locations and modeling stupid vgt cars, while lots of cars like Ford GT and tracks like Spa are out of the game..... No words for that.

Really? People are excited about a "photography simulator" more than a racing simulator?
You should really visit the photmode threads sometime. You need to understand that a good portion on the community LIVE for this kind of stuff. I've seen people on this site who are photographers in real life and couldn't be nay more excited about the photomode in GTS.

Don't get me wrong. I like taking photos in GT. But wasting dev time to make 1000 scape locations and modeling stupid vgt cars, while lots of cars like Ford GT and tracks like Spa are out of the game..... No words for that.

Scapes were developed with the sister branch of Sony who focusses on photography, cameras and all that stuff. The time spent developing the 3D and lighting information for each scape is probably lower than modeling entire 3D scenes with half the detail, let alone a thousand of them.

You should really visit the photmode threads sometime. You need to understand that a good portion on the community LIVE for this kind of stuff. I've seen people on this site who are photographers in real life and couldn't be nay more excited about the photomode in GTS.
But it ahould be " real driving simulator" and its not. Maybe real photoshop simulator is better slogan.

Someone should make the BMW art car livery and recreate this photograph:
nature-standout-jeffkoons-bmw-m3-gt2-artcar.jpg

;)

I’m clearly in the minority here, but the GT Sport photo tool has been greatly hampered by the removal of some basic photographic tools that were present in GT6. As an avid user of the GT6 tool, and a real world working photographer, this is disappointing to me.

- Focal Length. The maximum focal length I am seeing for any lens is 128mm. In GT6, it was 500mm. That is a gigantic reduction in the drama you could create by using distance and compression in an image.

- Freemode. It appears to me (though I hope to be corrected) that there is no option for a free mode camera in the race camera. You are forced to use a camera preset, and there is only a zoom in or out mode, not an up or down mode. That also dramatically reduces creative control.

- Aperture. The GT6 tool had the option of an impossibly amazing 1.0 aperture on any focal length. If combined with the 500mm lens, the real world equivalent would be a lens as wide as a 55 gallon drum. The widest aperture available now is 1.4. And that isn’t always available. The aperture now is variable depending on the level of zoom in the focal length, a feature found in most consumer or lower end zoom lenses.

My critique here is coming from a photographic centered place. The scapes are nice. But it wasn’t at all what I was expecting. I am pretty disappointed.

- Freemode. It appears to me (though I hope to be corrected) that there is no option for a free mode camera in the race camera. You are forced to use a camera preset, and there is only a zoom in or out mode, not an up or down mode. That also dramatically reduces creative control.

In the demo there was a freemode, it was a shoe/foot symbol if i remember right, I havent got the full game yet, so cant look on there...

i stand fully corrected on free mode and focal length. I found an 800mm 1.4 lens. I’m
Ecstatic.

- Focal Length. The maximum focal length I am seeing for any lens is 128mm. In GT6, it was 500mm. That is a gigantic reduction in the drama you could create by using distance and compression in an image.

l

Latest Posts

Back