GT Sport Driver Coaching

• Thread starter RaceFace85
  • 260 comments
@RaceFace85 Your generosity is amazing. You could easily expand on this idea. Host driver education lobbies - have people join the lobby / then spectate and have private party chats and you could move around to other people throughout the session and come back and get feedback / check results.

Then if this thing grows, have other good drivers join in. 16 spot lobbies; 8 teachers + 8 students and everyone is always in session :)

@RaceFace85 Your generosity is amazing. You could easily expand on this idea. Host driver education lobbies - have people join the lobby / then spectate and have private party chats and you could move around to other people throughout the session and come back and get feedback / check results.

Then if this thing grows, have other good drivers join in. 16 spot lobbies; 8 teachers + 8 students and everyone is always in session :)

I think this will be a bit confusing with so many players.

I’m not the fastest all around, but I can usually get into the leaderboards when is Gr.1. I may be able to help with that, specially at Nurb GP, Kyoto and Suzuka.

I really like this type of thread. I had one like this before, but was called something like “What is wrong with me”, so it was the other way around. I was looking for help, and soon other people joined me in the search for mentors.

Last edited:
Host driver education lobbies - have people join the lobby / then spectate and have private party chats

Ambitious thought, but I like it. Developing ideas that promote gatherings focused on improving skills/knowledge, rather than just competition, always gets my interest.

I think this will be a bit confusing with so many players.

If unorganised. Ideally you would register people and control the entries. Scheduled classes per-se based on availability and ability to coach. Maybe you can only really do one at a time which is perfectly fine.

It could be structured like an actual school. People sign up to the school, then apply for a class (racecraft, defense, lap times, trail braking etc.) Then you have a time table.

Ultimately it is your time that has the value here and you can only offer so much of it. Region time issues also would have an impact.

Start small and then see what can grow :)

If unorganised. Ideally you would register people and control the entries. Scheduled classes per-se based on availability and ability to coach. Maybe you can only really do one at a time which is perfectly fine.

It could be structured like an actual school. People sign up to the school, then apply for a class (racecraft, defense, lap times, trail braking etc.) Then you have a time table.

Ultimately it is your time that has the value here and you can only offer so much of it. Region time issues also would have an impact.

I like this idea. Maybe start small, like 2 coaches and 2 students. If it goes well, we'll up that by one person per occupation :)

Will post two videos later: my improvement at Alsace, and then I'll try my hand on Willoe Springs :D

I have no time for a personal coaching like this. The best is to share a replay here at gtplanet and everybody can see the lap with the problems and the tips for improvement.

It isn't the case that everybody have individual problems. Many people have the same problems and I wanted to show them some examples of frequently problems. My intention was that people can learn how to improve by the problems and feedback from the shared laps.

Not enough people here in the forum can improve their driving skills when we just meet in private lobbies and talk about the problems outside gtplanet.

If you share a video here I and maybe others will try to help but private lobbies are much too time consuming for me.

Last edited:
Necro
Can anyone help me with Bathurst Gr. 3 (RS 01)? It's on RM tires but I can only manage a 2:02 :(

I'll try again, this time with CSA off, but anything else anyone might add?

Necro
Can anyone help me with Bathurst Gr. 3 (RS 01)? It's on RM tires but I can only manage a 2:02 :(

The line is good but you should hold the brake longer and reduce the brake input more slowly until you reach the apex.

At 0:45 and 1:37 you can see what happenes when you go too fast off the brakes. The car starts to understeer. Braking into the corners is important to transfer the weight to the front wheels to give them extra grip.

Last edited:
When do you guys generally like to start adding more rear brake bias? To loosen the rear end on corner entry or when the front starts pushing under trail braking? Am I wrong on both points? IE the E-Tron Kyoto yesterdays daily race C (4/18/18) I couldn't get that car to turn nice trail braking no matter what I did, anyone else have the same problem?

I've been off GT:S for a few months but it's time to get back into it. This is the last lap I have recorded that I was seriously practicing. Any tips? Looking to improve on it when I come back. This was still only 10th fastest qualifying for that Canada tournament we had a while ago.

I've been off GT:S for a few months but it's time to get back into it. This is the last lap I have recorded that I was seriously practicing. Any tips? Looking to improve on it when I come back. This was still only 10th fastest qualifying for that Canada tournament we had a while ago.

I'm not a lot faster, so it's hard for me to give you an actual advice, but sometimes it feels you're coasting a bit much before the apex. And my gear shifts are a lot different than yours.

Welcome back!

I'm not a lot faster, so it's hard for me to give you an actual advice, but sometimes it feels you're coasting a bit much before the apex. And my gear shifts are a lot different than yours.

Welcome back!

I think that there is not much time to improve. Corner entry and exit is very neutral. You use the whole track. Looks like a perfect lap. I have no hints for you. Sorry.

The line is good but you should hold the brake longer and reduce the brake input more slowly until you reach the apex.

At 0:45 and 1:37 you can see what happenes when you go too fast off the brakes. The car starts to understeer. Braking into the corners is important to transfer the weight to the front wheels to give them extra grip.
Thank you :D

A very good thread!

I'm not fast enough to be capable of coaching others, but I want to share my generell experiences from which I think they helped me in sport mode

- put really much effort into qualifying, not only just 15 minutes. Its from my point of view the basic. If you catch your closely best time, dont quit, try to repeat it

- constancy during race is most important. Try to find the right balance between risky driving/ fast laptimes and safe driving/ slow laptimes. There is no point in making 4 super laps and flying out in the 5th.

- drive fair and you'll get automaticly faster. You will be mixed with higher ranked players who mostly drive fair. And believe me, the frustration of not beeing competitive to win is way less then the frustration you'll have with the low SR - guys

- learning to hold back gives you in long term more benefit as beeing to agressive. I think the only way to overtake a slower guy is to hold the pressure as high as possible and wait him to open a gap by taking a turn badly.
But be carefull, by following someone very close behind him you'll have to brake always much earlyer then else because of losing downforce in his wind ("draft" in english?)

Last edited:
Necro

My PB is 2:01.6 in the 911 on RH.

I think you lose couple tenths in T1, it is very important to get a good exit on to the straight there. I tend to stay clear of the inner curb as it upsets the car and prevents you to get the power down nice and early. Aim for the little dip right next to the curb, it will help you sling trough it nice and fast.

In T2 stick to more to the inside. There is more banking on that side that will allow to carry way more speed trough there.

Lines trough mountain sector look good though i think you can carry a bit more speed trough the downhill dip.

Corner to the back straight you were little early on the gas. I think if you stay a little tighter untill you can floor it out of there will win another few tenths on the straight.

Last corner you missed the apex.

I'll see if got that 2:01.6 saved and can upload though there are a few capable of running 2:00.XXX

The corners leading to the straights can really make or break your lap around Bathurst.

Last edited:
My PB is 2:01.6 in the 911 on RH.

I think you lose couple tenths in T1, it is very important to get a good exit on to the straight there. I tend to stay clear of the inner curb as it upsets the car and prevents you to get the power down nice and early. Aim for the little dip right next to the curb, it will help you sling trough it nice and fast.

In T2 stick to more to the inside. There is more banking on that side that will allow to carry way more speed trough there.

Lines trough mountain sector look good though i think you can carry a bit more speed trough the downhill dip.

Corner to the back straight you were little early on the gas. I think if you stay a little tighter untill you can floor it out of there will win another few tenths on the straight.

Last corner you missed the apex.

I'll see if got that 2:01.6 saved and can upload though there are a few capable of running 2:00.XXX

The corners leading to the straights can really make or break your lap around Bathurst.
Thanks! :D

Welcome back!

It's funny you mentioned coasting, I'm trying to learn to 2 foot drive and maintain a little bit more throttle after braking. It's hard to make it a habit :(

My first day back today I was pretty terrible! Ended up having a few good races but I was way down on pace for the first couple.

I think that there is not much time to improve. Corner entry and exit is very neutral. You use the whole track. Looks like a perfect lap. I have no hints for you. Sorry.

Thanks for taking the time

Here is my lap. It is definetely no perfect lap and still plenty of room for improvement. I believe this was P15 in EU that day but some aliens may even do 1:59 i think.

You had a little moment in T1 that probably ended up costing allot on the long uphill straight.

In T2 i hug the apex a little more and can carry more speed.

Your top mountain section looks pretty good to me i think its close to mine or you may even gained a little on me there.

I go about 10kph faster trough the dipper. Even though i think i might have scraped the wall a little i probably still gained a fair bit there over your lap.

Forrest Elbow you had a little hesitation on the throttle. Looks like you went a little early then backed off a little and then put the power down. That probably costed some speed on the straight.

And you missed the apex on the last corner.

I think without these moments in the first and last corner you would already be a fair bit closer. Looks like you just need a few more laps and you will get there. Bathurst is pretty hard to nail a good lap.

Here is my lap. It is definetely no perfect lap and still plenty of room for improvement. I believe this was P15 in EU that day but some aliens may even do 1:59 i think.

You had a little moment in T1 that probably ended up costing allot on the long uphill straight.

In T2 i hug the apex a little more and can carry more speed.

Your top mountain section looks pretty good to me i think its close to mine or you may even gained a little on me there.

I go about 10kph faster trough the dipper. Even though i think i might have scraped the wall a little i probably still gained a fair bit there over your lap.

Forrest Elbow you had a little hesitation on the throttle. Looks like you went a little early then backed off a little and then put the power down. That probably costed some speed on the straight.

And you missed the apex on the last corner.

I think without these moments in the first and last corner you would already be a fair bit closer. Looks like you just need a few more laps and you will get there. Bathurst is pretty hard to nail a good lap.

Cool! I updated my lap to a 2:01.668, with an optimal of a 2:01.301, so hopefully with your advice and replay I can break the :01 barrier!
The lobby is RM, BoP, and no tuning. It's a practice lobby specifically for this :)

Back