GT Sport dropping like rock on Amazon US

• Thread starter AMGholics
  • 25 comments

AMGholics

(Banned)
Poland
Poland
In comparison to recently released games on PS4.

https://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-video-games/zgbs/videogames/ref=pd_dp_ts_videogames_1

South park Fractured
Released - Oct 17 - Spot 33

NBA 2k18
Released Sept 19 - Spot 57

Middle earth Shadow of war
Released Oct 10 - Spot 72

Gran Turismo Sport
Released Oct 19 - Spot - 96

This really does not bode well for GTS NA sales.

It is the online only lack of content or general indifference to the franchise in NA ?

EDIT - GTsport has now officially dropped off of the top 100 list.

Last edited:
I wouldn't judge its success based on this. This is literally all of Amazon's video game related products. You're comparing a $69.99 video game with gift cards, controllers, consoles, cases, and... are those action figures?

I also wouldn't say it's the indifference to the franchise in North America. Gran Turismo still has a huge fan base here.

If you read the reviews on Amazon the biggest complaint seemingly is the lack of content, often in comparison to previous GT installments. Which had people been following what this game was about and the direction it was taking, they would know it wasn't going to be a classic GT game.

I'm honestly dumbfounded by the amount of people complaining this isn't "Gran Turismo 7". I don't think it could've been more clear by the time the game was released that this wasn't going to be the same. Are there seriously that many people who just go out and buy a game, sight unseen, not having read even a semblance of information of what they are buying? It's seriously baffling.

GT has never done particularly well in the states. The vast majority of the franchises sales have always been in PAL (European) territories and Japan.

As an example, GT6 sold 300k in its first month in the US, it sold more in Japan in the same time frame.

I wouldn't judge its success based on this. This is literally all of Amazon's video game related products. You're comparing a $69.99 video game with gift cards, controllers, consoles, cases, and... are those action figures?

I also wouldn't say it's the indifference to the franchise in North America. Gran Turismo still has a huge fan base here.

If you read the reviews on Amazon the biggest complaint seemingly is the lack of content, often in comparison to previous GT installments. Which had people been following what this game was about and the direction it was taking, they would know it wasn't going to be a classic GT game.

I'm honestly dumbfounded by the amount of people complaining this isn't "Gran Turismo 7". I don't think it could've been more clear by the time the game was released that this wasn't going to be the same. Are there seriously that many people who just go out and buy a game, sight unseen, not having read even a semblance of information of what they are buying? It's seriously baffling.

Im judging it compared to games released in the same time frame. And its flopping chart wise compared to much smaller franchises.

Do you need to know a single thing about the next star wars or marvel movie to know what you are walking into ? no cause that's brand strength, you play into it not against it. For two decades you knew what buying GT gets you, they destroyed all of that they lost customer trust given near world wide 2 star amazon ratings.

GT has never done particularly well in the states. The vast majority of the franchises sales have always been in PAL (European) territories and Japan.

As an example, GT6 sold 300k in its first month in the US, it sold more in Japan in the same time frame.

No true at all, Japan sales are just way more front loaded.

GT6
Japan - 590,000
North America - 1,220,000

Last edited by a moderator:
Then, limit it to just games; on PS4 alone, COD:WWII, Assassin's Creed, Wolfenstein II, South Park, NBA 2K18, GTA V, Shadow of War, Crash Bandicoot, Uncharted, Destiny 2, Madden 18, .hack//GU, FIFA 18, DBZ, Horizon Zero Dawn, and finally, GT:Sport.
Or people could be hearing its creator say one thing months ago, and delivering something else.

June 2017:
KY: Gran Turismo Sport is actually going to contain more features than any other game in the series to date. Nothing has been dropped, things have only been added. Whether it be the campaign mode, or the offline gameplay, or the open lobbies, everthing has been raised in quality and there is more of it, so there is nothing to worry about. Nothing has been dropped.

August 2017:
It sounds like online racing is only a small part of GT Sport. Series creator Kazunori Yamauchi has stated the online portion of the game only accounts for roughly 15% of the game.
Turned out not to be true. We know better on this forum, most people do not when the franchise's leader says something.
How about the fact the embargo wasn't lifted until post-release?

Read the review thread. Scaff has already gone into great detail about this.
"Gran Turismo Sport is actually going to contain more features than any other game in the series to date. Nothing has been dropped, things have only been added. Whether it be the campaign mode, or the offline gameplay, or the open lobbies, everything has been raised in quality and there is more of it, so there is nothing to worry about. Nothing has been dropped."
Source: https://www.gtplanet.net/kazunori-yamauchi-pre-e3-2017-interview-gt-sport-features-game-series/

And

"Series creator Kazunori Yamauchi has stated the online portion of the game only accounts for roughly 15% of the game."
Source: https://www.gtplanet.net/gt-sport-online-experience-around-15-total-game/

I wonder how people could have got the idea that it would have all that a traditional GT had and more?
Then who on earth are people supposed to look up the information from?

Exactly what source other than PD or Sony should have been used prior to release to know exactly what was in GTS given that a release day review embargo was in place?

That's information from Sony and PD, you told us not to trust it.

Kaz's comments on the degree of content were in direct response to criticism of the lack of content the Beta and Demo contained.

When a publisher offers buyer incentives that can only be obtained if you pre-order and then forces reviewers to hold back reviews until after that date then its a problem if statements they make about the degree of content turn out to be nonsense.

All of which is a total aside to the fact that PD have just managed to piss off what seems to be a very substantial number of people who have purchased GTS, and if you think that's only a problem for the people you want to belittle based on information supplied by the publishers and developers themselves, then you are quite frankly wrong.

Take a look at what happened when Street Fighter V did the exact same thing, it wasn't pretty and it didn't do the brand any good at all.

You seem to not want to hold Kaz, PD or Sony to any form of account for a marketing screw-up that is entirely of their own doing!

One rather clear example of this is the always on-line, this didn't come to light until the limited period demo, a week before release. At no point before that was it confirmed what degree it would affect the game as a whole (as the discussions on here show quite clearly), as such anyone who had pre-ordered digitally was screwed as far as that rather significant piece of news came in.

Im judging it compared to games released in the same time frame. And its flopping chart wise compared to much smaller franchises.

Vast majority aren't videogame nerds that post on forums and know all the details like us, that's where brand power comes through. And PD in their infinite stupidity are running GTs brand power. You buy GTA Fallout FIFA COD you know damn well what you are getting, PD and KAz ruined this simple fact.

Do you need to know a single thing about the next star wars or marvel movie to know what you are walking into ? no cause that's brand strength, you play into it not against it. For two decades you knew what buying GT gets you, they destroyed all of that they lost customer trust given near world wide 2 star amazon ratings.

Smaller franchises? Like Assassin's Creed? Call of Duty? Madden? FIFA? Grand Theft Auto? Sorry to burst your bubble, but Gran Turismo is far smaller than those franchises.

And if you want to compare it, narrow the data down to video games and then narrow it down again to PS4 video games, where GTS sits at 18th. Behind 4 upcoming releases from 2 of those franchises I listed above (because Amazon counts the sales of limited editions separately.)

No true at all, Japan sales are just way more front loaded.

GT6
Japan - 590,000
North America - 1,220,000

Well, wait till next months NPD and we'll know how GTS is fairing. Currently GTS is pulling ahead of GT6 in sales, and it will be interesting to see if this trend is mimicked in the states.

For reference, GTS is no 9 in the UK.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Sellers-PC-Video-Games/zgbs/videogames

No 11 in Germany.
https://www.amazon.de/gp/bestsellers/videogames

No 5 in Italy.
https://www.amazon.it/gp/bestsellers/videogames

No 11 in France.
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/bestsellers/videogames

No 12 in Spain.
https://www.amazon.es/gp/bestsellers/videogames

No 7 in Japan.
https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/bestsellers/videogames

Smaller franchises? Like Assassin's Creed? Call of Duty? Madden? FIFA? Grand Theft Auto? Sorry to burst your bubble, but Gran Turismo is far smaller than those franchises.

And if you want to compare it, narrow the data down to video games and then narrow it down again to PS4 video games, where GTS sits at 18th. Behind 4 upcoming releases from 2 of those franchises I listed above (because Amazon counts the sales of limited editions separately.

South park Fractured

NBA 2k18

Gran Turismo Sport

Thats who im comparing it to, don't be putting words in my mouth bringing up brands i clearly did not.

Motorsports road course racing of any discipline in the United States only has a very niche following in this country. Look at Moto GP for instance where in Europe crowds in excess of 100,000 are not uncommon where as here in the states attendance for Moto gp weekend may be 50-60,000 people if they are lucky. Europe supports their road racing much better than we do here.

Even the Daytona Rolex 24 hr race the stands are almost empty.

Indy does okay with the Indy 500 but that is just a high speed 4 corner oval.

So it does not shock me that a strictly road racing game is not that popular here.

South park Fractured

NBA 2k18

Gran Turismo Sport

Thats who im comparing it to, don't be putting words in my mouth bringing up brands i clearly did not.
You're a fool if you believe those are "small franchises". One is a critically acclaimed TV show video game, one is a critically acclaimed movie franchise game, and one is every fan of the NBA who owns a PS4. I'd being willing to go out on a limb and say South Park, The Lord of the Rings, and the National Basketball Association have more fans than a Japanese racing game.

Then, limit it to just games; on PS4 alone, COD:WWII, Assassin's Creed, Wolfenstein II, South Park, NBA 2K18, GTA V, Shadow of War, Crash Bandicoot, Uncharted, Destiny 2, Madden 18, .hack//GU, FIFA 18, DBZ, Horizon Zero Dawn, and finally, GT:Sport.

Or people could be hearing its creator say one thing months ago, and delivering something else.

June 2017:

August 2017:

Turned out not to be true. We know better on this forum, most people do not when the franchise's leader says something.

How about the fact the embargo wasn't lifted until post-release?

Read the review thread. Scaff has already gone into great detail about this.

Disregard

You're a fool if you believe those are "small franchises". One is a critically acclaimed TV show video game, one is a critically acclaimed movie franchise game, and one is every fan of the NBA who owns a PS4. I'd being willing to go out on a limb and say South Park, The Lord of the Rings, and the National Basketball Association have more fans than a Japanese racing game.

LMFAO

name a single of those critically acclaimed based on games that sold more than Gran Turismo ?

lol i'll be waiting.

Exactly.

South Park Stick of Truth has sold over 5 million copies, the majority of those being in the US.

NBA 2K17 sold over 8.5 million copies, the majority of those being in the US.

LMFAO

name a single of those critically acclaimed based on games that sold more than Gran Turismo ?

lol i'll be waiting.
That's not the point. First of all, NONE of this is sales data. I'm not saying GTS will be higher or lower than those games, I won't speculate it, we'll know eventually. The point I was making is that of course those games will appear highly on charts, especially one that's generated on Amazon and updated hourly. The amount of people who are South Park Fans, Lord of the Rings fans, or NBA fans and own a PS4 would vastly outnumber the amount of people who are Gran Turismo fans.

Gran Turismo is a console mover. None of those other titles are. Your argument of trying to cross-check movie/TV & a sports franchise hold no bearing on the video games when GT gets bragged about on this forum on its ability to move millions & millions of units.

The last South Park game managed to move 5 million units 2 years after its release. NBA 2K17 moved 8.5 million units. Middle Earth's prequel, Shadow of Mordor, barely moved under 2 million units. These are titles that have the benefit of multiple platforms & the wider audience base you want to cite, so whilst beyond GT6's appalling sales (in comparison to other GTs), they still haven't come close to topping another GT game. South Park managed to reach the sales of a Prologue title.

Gran Turismo is a console mover. None of those other titles are. Your argument of trying to cross-check movie/TV & a sports franchise hold no bearing on the video games when GT gets bragged about on this forum on its ability to move millions & millions of units.

The last South Park game managed to move 5 million units 2 years after its release. NBA 2K17 moved 8.5 million units. Middle Earth's prequel, Shadow of Mordor, barely moved under 2 million units. These are titles that have the benefit of multiple platforms & the wider audience base you want to cite, so whilst beyond GT6's appalling sales (in comparison to other GTs), they still haven't come close to topping another GT game. South Park managed to reach the sales of a Prologue title.

Of course my argument holds bearing, the people interested in those movie/tv franchises are more likely to own a console nowadays. Kids who grew up during the theatrical releases of the original Lord of the Rings and people who have been South Park fans since 1997 are now at an age where they can afford and of their free will purchase consoles and these type of video games. There's no hard numbers for this, it's theoretical, but I'm saying likely.

You missed what the comparison was about. The chances that someone who may otherwise be a casual gamer is a console owner and a fan of either South Park or LOTR is higher than the chances someone owns a PS4 specifically for the Gran Turismo series, let alone would buy a console specifically for GTS. Therefore, upon the release of a game that otherwise casual gamers enjoy because of an outside association to the franchise, it makes perfect sense that we'd see the sales of these games rise, and may even be likely that these sales would be higher than a game that is otherwise obscure to these large fan bases.

Also, from that same interview you cherry picked:
KY: Three years ago, we basically reset all the car models in the game, to start building them from scratch. Now, the models have been created at a quality that will last for ten years from this point on. We intend to add more and more models in future updates, so you don’t have to worry about that. We have a lot of plans to add content post-launch.

This has been my argument to all the complainers on here. Obviously nobody knew what they were buying and are upset they dont have GT7. This one is for the DRIVERS. Sounds like a lot of COMMUTERS on this forum.

You missed what the comparison was about. The chances that someone who may otherwise be a casual gamer is a console owner and a fan of either South Park or LOTR is higher than the chances someone owns a PS4 specifically for the Gran Turismo series, let alone would buy a console specifically for GTS. Therefore, upon the release of a game that otherwise casual gamers enjoy because of an outside association to the franchise, it makes perfect sense that we'd see the sales of these games rise, and may even be likely that these sales would be higher than a game that is otherwise obscure to these large fan bases.
Except they weren't. Excluding NBA 2K17, South Park & LOTR only managed to come close to GT6's 5 million sales; they'd need to double that to touch the average GT title. NBA achieved 8.5 million easily surpassing GT6, but the next best selling GT title rests at nearly 9.4 million.
Also, from that same interview you cherry picked:
Of which has zero relevance. Post-release content means nothing at the release date; Kaz said nothing was dropped. Planning to re-add them later means they were dropped for the time being.
KY: Gran Turismo Sport is actually going to contain more features than any other game in the series to date. Nothing has been dropped, things have only been added. Whether it be the campaign mode, or the offline gameplay, or the open lobbies, everthing has been raised in quality and there is more of it, so there is nothing to worry about. Nothing has been dropped.
Your quote is equivalent to Kaz. claiming GT:Sport will have 400 cars... eventually.

You failed to differentiate and understand multi platform sales to PS4 only ? GT5 did what or GT3 ? Neither of those out sold GT6 on a single platform.

In case you missed it, i'm comparing PS4 game sales to PS4 GTS sales.

what are you xbox boss talking "users" and not sales lol.

Last edited:
You failed to differentiate and understand multi platform sales to PS4 only ? GT5 did what or GT3 ? Neither of those out sold GT6 on a single platform.

In case you missed it, i'm comparing PS4 same sales to PS4 GTS sales.

what are you xbox boss talking "users" and not sales lol.
No you're not, the link and the numbers you posted in your OP weren't even reduced down to video games alone! Not until I pointed out, at which point I was "putting words in your mouth"

This whole thread full of arguments is basically useless because the OP was using Amazon's "best list". That's nothing to go by, at all, if you're actually trying to make a point about sales.

A good comparison to recently released games on PS4 and Xbox One would be all the top racing car games:

Gran Turismo Sport

Project Cars 2

Forza Motorsport 7

etc...

People here in this forum are looking for a comparison for all the racing games. Please stay focus. :lol:

Back