GT Sport Duel of the Week (Inactive)

Balance of Performance for Gr. [] Weekly Time Trials?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
GT Sport Time Trial of the Week 7 - Budget Sports at Maggiore

6C64CAE9-3FE5-417C-81A2-E229C3D20D8F.jpeg

I hope you like that image, I made it myself.

Yep, @Macboyilijah was right. The time trial this week is at Lago Maggiore - Center. This is a short track with a hairpin, a long tight right corner, a few high speed esses and of course, the home straight. It’s an interesting circuit for one so small, and perfect for this level of power! Let’s see how you guys do.

Time Trial Rules:
Tags: gtsduel, dotw007
Tires: Comfort Softs
Due Date: Next Sunday (June 3rd)

Have some fun with these budget sports cars on Comfort Softs and get a feel for the really loose handling. It should contrast quite drastically with the cars we’ll feature next week.

Fantastic ! Pretty sure my time will be more competitive here. As usual will only race with ABS. No other aids. Cant wait for the MR2 to move around this track. The GT86 will stand no chance. Even the M3 will lose to the MR2.

Have to say comfort soft would not be my first choice so I am very curious how this will turn out. I have only driven these with sport hard so my drifting skills will surely come in handy !

I will be using the shifter so I’m expecting (a bit) faster shifts than the paddle and controller users. Hope to benefit a full second from that !

Only minor problem: this weeks challenge is not a full week. Hope this doesn’t prove to be a problem for me (and others).

Fantastic ! Pretty sure my time will be more competitive here. As usual will only race with ABS. No other aids. Cant wait for the MR2 to move around this track. The GT86 will stand no chance. Even the M3 will lose to the MR2.

Have to say comfort soft would not be my first choice so I am very curious how this will turn out. I have only driven these with sport hard so my drifting skills will surely come in handy !

I will be using the shifter so I’m expecting (a bit) faster shifts than the paddle and controller users. Hope to benefit a full second from that !

Only minor problem: this weeks challenge is not a full week. Hope this doesn’t prove to be a problem for me (and others).
I actually think we'll be a bit slower in the shifter since we cannot have full control over the brakes 100% of the time :lol:
Or idk maybe you've mastered heel-and-toe :D

Well you know im the same on the assist ABS only but using an automatic might hurt me this week. I'm already in the 59 second range with the 86 but I'm losing time getting it down to 2nd gear. Cars are a handful coming out of the slow corners on Comfort Soft Tires.

Should be a fun challenge this week.

Here is my summary of this week's duel

LAPTIMES (15 Laps)

Toyota 86 (ZN6): 0:59.591
Toyota MR2 (SW20): 0:57.188

DRIVER'S COMMENTS
Those two Toyotas are both affordable RWD sports cars, with the MR2 being the cheapest and the most capable of the two.

The MR2 is infamously known for it's snap oversteer tendencies, which can be cured through the corners by immediately put the throttle by 20% once out of the corners (if the rear tires can regain traction). It has more power than the 86 due to the fact that this particular MR2 is the turbocharged GT-S model instead of the atmo G Limited model (as well as more torque for the former), but even then the atmo MR2 has the same power as the 86 featured in this week's duel. Other than that, the MR2 is a lively turbo MR machine.

The 86 is essentially a modern day Tuner/Driver's car thanks to Toyota's (and Subaru's) efforts to make it as engaging as possible. It's atmo Boxer 4 is a good engine to start with, and so does it's FR layout. However, due to the fact that they have different engine placements and the MR(2) car is turbocharged meant that the atmo FR car (86) is at it's disadvantage. Going through Turn 3 of Maggiore Center, however, the 86 can go through it full throttle without having to buzz the rev limiter and with minimal steering input, which the MR2 has the latter jotted down but not the former.

And so, my vote goes to:
Toyota MR2 GT-S (SW20) '97

Thanks to Obelisk for showing me this thread. I don't know how many laps I ran BEFORE double checking the rules to find out that I was on the wrong grade of tire. Oh well. I've been running on controller until only just a week ago, so MRs have always been a favorite for me, because that lift-off oversteer does pretty much all the work for you, and then it's just a matter of managing throttle and braking, and you can pretty much leave the analog stick alone, and the car just goes around the corners like the way you'd like it to. But, I'm sure you guys all know about the drawbacks in the lack of precision with the controller, so I finally managed to save up and get myself a T150, and my GT Sport experience is entirely different from what it was before. Anyway, let's get to the good stuff.

Lap times:
GT86 - 0:59.303
MR2 - 0:57.259

Even with my lack of experience on the wheel, the MR2 just outright overpowers the GT86. Similar to handling with the controller, the MR2 has very sensitive weight transfer, allowing it to rotate into the corner quite easily as I lift off the brake and just slightly inch the wheel into the corner. It also needs a bit of throttle to balance it during entry, which means I don't have to hesitate as much about getting back on the power, because I'm already there. The GT86 takes a little more convincing to get it to rotate into a corner, but it is more stable in a drift, allowing it to change direction more easily, as you'll see in my transition from turn 1 to turn 2.

I had a fun time driving both of these cars in VR on the wheel, and the VR experience is greatly enhanced when you turn off the HUD. I made sure to also record my replays with the driving info enabled to show my times, and that I used the right tires, etc.

Anyway, my vote is going to have to go to the MR2 GT-S

Great post @terrordog1490 and welcome in this topic !

As I thought this would not be a real contest. Have not driven both cars at the same time, but have noticed that the MR2 is just crazy fast. Cannot wait to hop on.

Still not feeling perfect to drive however, so we will see for the weekend.

The 86 GT is no match for the older but more powerful MR2.

Both cars are not very happy on Comfort Soft Tires as they will easily burn up the rear tires and slide like they are riding on ice but if you can get them to grip they are fun little cars to drive.

The 86 GT is also not a happy car as an automatic and it becomes very difficult to get it into the correct gears and with so little power to begin with it really struggles to find it's sweet spot.

The MR2 is a much more aggressive driving car and even on Sport Soft Tires it can be a handful to drive so Comfort Soft Tires were a real challenge. The MR2 is much better as an automatic transmission and with more power on tap it's easier to get it in a gear it's happy with.

Both cars have a great sound and putting on a set if headphones really brings them to life.

I like both of them but it's the MR2 that shows you why the 90's put out some of the best JDM cars you will ever see.

Times
86GT 0:59.533
MR2 0:57.131

The MR2 is hands down the winner.

Finally had some moment to sit down and do some laps. These cars and tracks are exactly my thing so I expected to set a proper time. And I did not dissappoint myself. Although I prefer sport hard with these classes. But I have to say I do not see much difference between sport hard and comfort soft so I was able to do my laps.

Of course it all started with drifting before setting these proper times:

MR2: 0:56,747
GT86: 0:59,258

The GT86 is a brilliant car to drive. I like its steering, I like how the engine revs and I love it how the lack of power is compensated by its handling. Also the brakes are perfect for me. What I dont like is because of the atmo engine when braking it is difficult to get a proper rev match, but when you succeed it is a lot of fun, especially in T2. And of course it could use more power. A lot more power actually.

When I step into the MR2 I enter one of my most favorite cars in the game. The MR2 feels much lighter and more agile and the turbo just makes you smile. I most like the way how even when you drift you always have enough power to press the throttle and just head on. The GT86 is not that forgiving. Perfect rev is essential to set a proper time. The way the MR2 pushes through the gears is enyoable. But the way the car revs down when braking is much better than the GT86. Probably the MR2 has the better flywheel. And that sound !

One thing I dont like about the MR2 compared to the GT86 is its brakes. The GT86 is much better in braking and dosing the amount of brake.

I do not think the duel is very fair because of the horsepower difference. If the MR2 would be downtuned to 200hp for me probably the MR2 would still win, since I am a big fan of atmo engineering, but it would not stand a chance against the turbo. If the GT86 would be tuned to 250hp however I would probably chose the GT86 because the lack of power is the only thing that is missing.

But overall the MR2 is the clear winner of this weeks challenge.

Last edited:
Just submitted my laps. MR2 was faster for me by almost 2 seconds exactly. GT86 is much easier and more relaxing to drive fast. MR2 requires much more throttle/steering sensitivity and focus to avoid sliding. MR2 is more of a driver's car, meaning more skill is necessary. That's my kind of car. It takes longer to perfect a lap time, but the GT86's easy drivability leads to more consistent lap times.

0:57.596 - MR2
0:59.492 - GT86

Time:
MR-2: 57.014
86: 59.376

TL;DR- MR-2

Like others have pointed out, the MR-2 is certainly much more of a handful to drive than the 86. It doesn't have the same composure that the latter has. It likes to slide around and have fun! I also quite like how it requires a different approach to braking (for my driving style, at least). Instead of modulation I was repeatedly press the brake pedal, essentially going from 75-100% to 0%. I found that with my limited skills in right-foot braking, this style of braking actually gave the car more stability over modulation. It's quite a fun experience, this car :)
The 86 is fun as well, don't get me wrong, but it's more of like having fun with your mother around you. Sure yeah you can have fun, but you gotta be safe first, even if it means a bit less fun. That's why for me, I'd rather have the MR-2 over the 86, even if I got a slower lap time in it :)

I've just now shared both fastest laps, I may upload a video with a detailed look at both cars but for now, a brief summary.

Lap Times
MR-2 GT-S '97 - 0:58.404
GT86 '15 - 0:59.893

Looks - GT86 '15
I never really was a fan of the MR-2, with so many beautiful cars coming out of Japan in the 90's I always felt it looked a little lacklustre. When the GT86 (and Subaru BRZ) were announced I thought they were lovely looking cars and put my name down for a BRZ, although ended up with a slightly more powerful RWD Nissan instead.

Handling - GT86 '15
I wouldn't say that the GT86 was a dream to drive, it took some getting used to but after a couple of laps I was putting down some consistent times. It felt agile, the brakes are good (perhaps due to it's lack of power), the only thing I think it struggled with was a touch of understeer at the first hairpin but that was manageable. The MR-2 on the other hand felt unruly and wild, and at the same time very lethargic through the esses, often requiring me to lift off so not to go off track whereas the 86 didn't.

TL;DR The MR-2 uses brute force to get a better lap time, the 45hp makes all the difference but the cars really do feel 18 years apart.

GT86 wins it for me.

Great review !

In the event of a tie, the winner shall be determined by a one lap showdown in which the cars will be driven by me
I found this about the tie. Sorry did not know this when I stuck my nose into a solution. As if you would not think about a tie when this duel was created. I told you I was just being over-enthusiastic.

Got my stuff done! Boy has it been one heck of a week, with a couple of people taking advantage of me by wanting to be lent money, but have zero intention of paying it back. I guess this week really was appropriate huh?

I can't imagine someone strapped for cash could buy a new 86 GT, but an old SW20, absolutely.

Guess which one is the better buy?

Maggiore Center Trial:
MR2 - 0:58.712
86 - 1:02.216

The older car is a lot peppier and livelier while the 86 is just so sleepy compared to the MR2.

MR2 wins it.

After a lot of pushing and stalking by @Macboyilija :crazy: here my result..

Drove both cars yesterday for about 6 laps with controller and oldscool X button ( i know it sucks )

MR2 58,026
GT86 1.01,37

first used the MR2
the car feels light , and easy to use.. but in the first corner i kwew i was totally wrong, the cars jumps immediately in an oversteer and the back of the car get it's own life ... this car is tricky

second the GT86 ,
Feels al lot more stable , and the oversteer is much more controllable... however they should have used a much more lighter flywheel, it revs bad and feels much to slow

IMO , i still liked the GT86 a bit more then the MR2 , probably because the use of the X button ( full throttle or nothing , and not dosable ):banghead:

Alright, time to wrap up last week. We had both of the entry level sports cars from Toyota at their respective times. Some would say the 86 is a spiritual successor to all of Toyota’s older sports cars, while some would argue that it shouldn’t be included in the holy trinity of MR-2, Supra and Celica. Personally, I think the 86 has proven itself worthy over the years. The handling is very nice but Toyota has a weird habit of not listening to consumers when they beg for more power to be added to the woefully underpowered 86. It’s almost like Toyota is a different company than from the 90s, with their entry level car of the time, the MR-2 pushing almost 50hp more.

In the game, it’s pretty apparent that the MR-2’s sheer power advantage is what gives it the edge. While it may be slightly heavier and it and does have some pretty questionable handling sometimes, the MR-2 clearly proves itself as a dominant car with its speed advantage. It’s clearly the better car of the N200 class.

My vote goes to the MR-2.

Let’s see what you guys had to say...

I'd put the SW20 MR2 in my garage over the 86 any day of the week.

And so, my vote goes to:
Toyota MR2 GT-S (SW20) '97

Anyway, my vote is going to have to go to the MR2 GT-S

The MR2 is hands down the winner.

But overall the MR2 is the clear winner of this weeks challenge.

TL;DR- MR-2

GT86 wins it for me.

MR2 wins it.

IMO , i still liked the GT86 a bit more then the MR2

MR-2: 8
86 GT: 2

The winner of last week, with 6 more votes is the...

2BD71D70-3669-4765-B648-262C475B597F.jpeg

Toyota MR-2 GT-S!

It was a landslide victory last week. We had a much bigger turnout than usual, so I’m glad that you all came out and enjoyed yourselves! We have many more interesting duels coming your way in the future, so stay tuned!

GT Sport Time Trial of the Week 7 - Results from Italy

Autodrome_Lago_Maggiore_-_Center.jpg
This week we had some pretty interesting action happening in Italy. These two tiny bruisers were put around the shortest version of Maggiore, the centre layout, to see who would reign supreme. The Toyota MR-2 made quick work of the 86's handling advantage with its sheer power advantage. Let's see how you guys got on with the trial individually though.

m1.png

Toyota MR-2 GTS

@Macboyilija - 0:56.747
@Alpha Cipher - 0:57.104
@Rinsky - 0:57.131
@RZQSPEED - 0:57.188
@terrordog1490 - 0:57.259
@MidFieldMaven - 0:57.569
@mikee60 - 0:58.026
@ThePhantomAli - 0:58.404
@ThrasherDBS - 0.58.712​

Did Kim K give us a shoutout on Twitter this week? I haven't seen such madness since the last thread closed! Of course, Macboyilija takes the top spot in the MR-2, like any good alien with a go-karting avatar should. On to the 86!

2017_toyota_86_coupe_base_lave-brulante_014.png

Toyota GT-86

@Macboyilija - 0:59.258
@terrordog1490 - 0:59.303
@Alpha Cipher - 0:59.376
@MidFieldMaven - 0:59.492
@Rinsky - 0:59.533
@RZQSPEED - 0:59.591
@ThePhantomAli - 0:59.893
@mikee60 - 1:01.037
@ThrasherDBS - 1:02.216​

Sure, it might look sharper. Doesn't mean it's faster though, as Macboy has once again demonstrated. Thanks to each one of you nine who participated this week, I hope we're set for many more weeks of interesting duels!​

Last edited:
GT Sport Duel of the Week 8 - The World's Angriest Jellybean

This week, a certain Toyota was feeling really overconfident. You might know the S-FR Racing Concept as the little guy who almost ruined N-class lobby racing in the lower tiers. Yup, he's a literal race car for the road. As you can see he's also a little angry guy who just can't seem to stop wanting to devour the competition. Since he doesn't have much left beside the 911 GT3, it's up to an old veteran and a fan-favourite to put a stop to him.

This week, we have the...

6133996228430561800_0.jpg

1992 Ferrari F40

against the...

4909008325035720728_0.jpg

...2016 Toyota S-FR Ra RAAAAWWR I WILL EATS YOU XD!!1!

So yeah, the challengers are set now. This looks to be an interesting week between the uncle filled with old F1 expertise...

...and a really angry jellybean.

Let's just see how it goes...

5836749794518794768_0.jpg

omnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

Last edited:
GT Sport Time Trial of the Week 8 - Dusty America

sow_line.jpg

You thought I'd be saving it for the Muscle Cars, didn't you. Nope! This week's time trial takes place in the technical, yet hard to master Streets of Willow - II. That's right, we're going reverse this time! You'll be starting out with the long left-hand hairpin that goes into the long straight leading up to the top of the course. From there, the return trip will be the technical corners, hopefully where the S-FR will make up some time!

Duel Settings:
Tags:
gtsduel, dotw008
Tire Compound: Sports Hard
Tuning: of course not!
Due Date: June 10th/11th

Let's see what you guys have up your sleeves this week. Will it be the old favourite, or the incredibly angry jellybean? Time will tell!​

Last edited:
Great work again @MrWaflz55 thanks for all your time and effort. See you on the track !

Will try to bring some of my DF GTS friends into these duels. The flexibility without obligation is much appreciated.

I regretfully have to bow out of this challenge.
You see we just did the F-40 at the end of GT6 on Sport Hard Tires and it sadly lost the time challenges because of this.

This week it's up against my most despised car in all of GT the S-FR Racing Concept and yet again the cars are on Sport Hard Tires.
Along with being on a very challenging road course that will not favor the most beautiful Ferrari ever made.

I just cannot and will not watch the horrendous outcome that's about to unfold.
May your PS4's catch fire and melt as your about to take the S-FR Racing Concept across the finish line for an easy win.

Oh almost forgot. My Vote is for the F-40 always.

Back