GT Sport Duel of the Week (Inactive)

Balance of Performance for Gr. [] Weekly Time Trials?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oh Geez, I should get on that. I've been super busy.

Uh... if I don't submit an actual time trial or nothing, put me down for the Mustang.

A rivalry that's just over 50 years old, the Mustang and the Camaro have been at it constantly... up until about 2002 when the Camaro ceased production, and then the Mustang became the lone pony car on the block until its rival resurrected with a concept in 2006 and finally into production in 2010. That said, the rivalry flared back up again. Both of today's combatants are pretty spunky behaviorwise and definitely have that muscle car power.

As you can tell with the mileage on the Mustang versus the Camaro, you know which one I have more experience with. I guess that hits it home especially hard that the Camaro is still a lot more powerful of the two long rivaled pony cars.

Willow Springs Street Trial:
Mustang - 1:22.337
Camaro - 1:20.194

It looks like the "animal that eats mustangs" proved to be the better of the two this time around. The Camaro gets the vote, but honestly, you can't go wrong with either.

Last edited:
Hey all, new duel coming tomorrow. This is the only shred of free time I’ve had all weekend. If anyone wants to give this a go real quick before then be my guest.

Next update looks really good with the M5, P1 GTR, F50 and 240Z. Some prime candidates for some duels in December.

Really like the cars but I'm not a fan of the track at all. You just can't push them hard here. That's why I haven't done this challenge.

Motortrend disagrees. They seem to love the Streets of Willow and use it in quite a few of their laptime comparisons in the head to head segment.

Motortrend disagrees. They seem to love the Streets of Willow and use it in quite a few of their laptime comparisons in the head to head segment.

Yeah some people are really good at that track but I'm not one of them. I always get to aggressive and eat sand. Its just one of those tracks I've never got along with. Now Big Willow is a different story

Yeah some people are really good at that track but I'm not one of them. I always get to aggressive and eat sand. Its just one of those tracks I've never got along with. Now Big Willow is a different story

In the scope of things, the trials are kind of a tool, rather than the end-all be-all of the thread. If you wanna run both of them on Big Willow, go for it! If you want competition, I can run a couple of laps if you'd like.

Or you could rely on your general experience with both of the cars, and just say which one you generally like better and we'll count the vote. Remember, whatever criteria you want to use to determine your vote is valid and up to you. Just because this track doesn't really jive with you, it shouldn't stand in between whether or not you cast a vote.

Alright, our last event featured two American muscle cars that were hard to control without TCS. Some good throttle management is needed to get the most out of these two cars. Unfortunately both the Mustang and Camaro seem to be outclassed in the N-category by pretty much everything sportier than an LC500, but against each other it can make for a fun race. Personally, I've always been a big fan of the 2009+ Camaro and it's no different here. The car feels nicer to drive than the Mustang in my opinion. This is subjective as well but I like the styling better too. It does the whole retro-modern aesthetic better than the new Mustang, which is still boxy and huge but doesn't even try to resemble the old models anymore.

So for those reasons, my vote goes to the Camaro. Let's see what you guys had to say:

Overall, voting for the car, not the car/track combo, my vote is for the Camaro.

RZQ votes for:
Ford Mustang GT Premium Fastback '15

The Camaro gets the vote, but honestly, you can't go wrong with either.

Alright, that's looking like a 3-1 win for the...

8502806071674437636_0.jpg

Chevrolet Camaro SS!

Now, let's see how they got around our twisty test track at Willow Springs:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time Trial of the Week: Willow Spring - Streets of Willow

The track is a shorter one, but it features some sweeping bends along with some high speed kinks down the back straight. They can leave any tail-happy car begging for mercy without the proper discipline and control. Especially on our street-compound rubber.

Let's see how close the battle between these two muscle cars was:

Mustang GT

ford-mustang-banner-e1498060691945.png

@RZQSPEED - 1:19.651

@ThrasherDBS - 1:22.337
@dnlnnhs - 1:23.358

Camaro SS
3aa683ca455b8ee53c366f7404092663.png
@RZQSPEED - 1:18.848

@ThrasherDBS - 1:20.194
@dnlnnhs - 1:22.372

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So there we have it, a tough fight but it seems the Camaro SS is indeed faster for pretty much everyone. It's deserving of the win in that case, and in my opinion deserves the win anyways because I prefer it. I know the Mustang has it's fans, but here the Camaro is winning out over it. Perhaps in a future update the classic Camaro will return and this flame will burn once more...

GT Sport Duel of the Week #19: German N400 Duel

No fancy titles, complicated aero or uber-technical tracks here this week. This time it's a simplistic slug-fest between two bitter rivals from Germany. We have a mid-engine, 4WD car in one corner and an FR Nürburgring-eating machine in the other. They're both in the same class of performance as dictated by the game, too (N400). This is shaping up to be one of the most interesting duels we've had in this thread so far. Not only that, but these two failed to meet back in GT6, so they've come to use through the internet to fix that wrongdoing.

This week's contenders are the...

8080109752853463572_0.jpg

2014 BMW M4 Coupe

and the equally German

6134549280545866756_0.jpg

2008 Audi R8 4.2

Time Trial of the Week #19 - Germans in Japan

suzuka-circuit.jpg.gif

Continuing on our theme of no-nonsense, this week features a proper racing circuit unlike the last event. Familiarize yourself with this legendary circuit from the F1 calendar, Suzuka. You can't go wrong with a track that hosts all kinds of top-level motorsports. Just watch out though, the Astroturf lining certain corners are infamous for their suction. These "suckers" can end your lap in an instant, and in a car like the M4 it can be game over for you.

The event will be run on Sports Soft tires. A little extra grip ought to make the extra length a little easier on you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So there's this week's events. It's looking like a fine challenge for all the folks interested in road cars. Germany makes some fine machinery and I doubt this week will prove anything differently. Go have some fun!​

Last edited:
S'pose I'll be the first one who contributes to the duel...

Just gave the two cars a go just now. Both cars on Sports Softs as the time trial is required; TC set to 1 on both cars and no other settings have been changed. The best I could possibly muster from both was, respectively:
  • BMW M4 F82 - 2:20.247
  • Audi R8 V8 - 2:22.456
So yeah, time trial-wise, the M4 definitely beats out the Audi R8. But what about the cars themselves? Well, here's what I think...
  • BMW M4 F82 - The numbers don't lie (both specs and time-wise), it definitely feels quicker. It's just a bit more lightweight and has just a shred more power (425hp and 1,497kg vs the R8's 414hp and 1,560kg) and it's turbocharged (maybe that's why it feels quicker?). At the same time though, I felt like the M4 was a bit more slippery, but it was manageable. As for the car's impact on me in this game, it... just feels like it's there. Maybe it's because it was in the game since launch, but I haven't been able to pay too much mind to it compared to the other road cars in the game.
  • Audi R8 V8 - The AWD drivetrain definitely made the R8 feel just a bit more stable. However it did come at a cost, the R8 felt a bit more stiff to drive through the corners and the acceleration felt a bit more on the unremarkable side compared to its rival. Impact-wise, it was... certainly one of the more interesting choices to go for back when the February patch came out. Why the first-gen Audi R8, let alone the V8 model, of all cars? It did kind of grow on me, but it honestly just makes me long more for a V10 R8; mostly the 2015 model like the existing LMS.
Suppose in this case, I'm going to have to toss my vote to the BMW M4 F82.

rip
wasn't able to post my camaro and mustang review
I'll try my best to post these ones. I quite like the duo :lol:

Edit: Okay, so where do I start... Ah, the times

M4: 2:16.408
R8: 2:18.978

Let's start with the R8, because it's so much easier to describe. It feels like a bloated Gr. 4 machine :lol:
It's not exactly bad per se, I mean it's easy to drive fast, and it rewards you for doing so. The bloated part is mostly the cornering speeds being obviously much worse than an actual Gr. 4, and almost double the braking distance. It's heralded as a baby, accessible supercar, and it really does show. It's not here to set lap records, nor to be the fastest at the track. It's here to tell the driver, "Hello! I am a supercar :D and this is how we work. I'll take you step-by-step so you can become a good supercar driver."
One glaring issue I have with this car however is its awful manual transmission. Before I did the time trials, I searched a bit on the R Tronic trim of the R8 in particular, the one we have in the game. Reason for it is because it feels like a manual car with paddle shifters. At first I thought it's an oversight on PD's end, but apparently the R Tronic is your average manual transmission except that Audi decided to use paddle shifters and automate the clutch for you instead. What this means is that I cannot use the clutch and shifter to shift much faster over the paddles (which I assume is quite realistic given how many people complained about the R Tronic in real life too :lol). And my god, it is awful. Shifts took forever to happen, and given that I mainly drive in race cars, each shift is an agonizing and painstaking wait for me.

On the other hand, the M4 is a playful car. It likes to slide around a bit, but it's manageable. It's got enough power to light up the rears, but not so visceral in its delivery so as to result in a spinout. It's a more focused track car, with a higher priority on speed and lap times than ease of use.

In the end, I always prefer to have a playful car that tends to be on the raw side as opposed to a composed and easygoing one. I don't think either of them is bad, but it just so happened that the two cars cater to different tastes, and the M4 is the one that felt right for me.

My vote goes to the M4

Last edited:
I don't really have much to say about this duel. It's oddly one of the most straightforward sort of matchups. Cars from the same country that I don't really drive a bunch, and they're in the exact same competitive class. It's funny because I don't usually picture these two together, seeing as how one is a heavy front-engined, rear-wheel drive sports coupe and the other is a mid-engined supercar, but yet they're pretty evenly matched. It's kinda interesting in a way.

Suzuka Circuit Trial:
M4 - 2:21.291
R8 - 2:20.998

The BMW may have gotten more of the votes thus far, but I feel as though the R8 was more stable and actually a bit quicker. With the M4, you have a bunch of oversteer to try and fight against, and it's not the fun sort of oversteer that the Shelby Cobra or the Dodge Viper provides. The R8 feels a lot sharper, and in my case, quicker.

I guess the R8, R8s better than the M4?

No...?

I'll get my coat.

R8 wins my vote.

Last edited:
Hey, I only just noticed this thread. Ive been on these forums for several years now and this is the first time ive noticed one of these competitions, and I'm really enjoying reading everyones opinions on the cars and the time trial times. Its a shame that it seems to be struggling to get people to vote as well.

Maybe it would be possible to make the title of the thread a bit more enticing? Im not suggesting clickbait or anything but "GT Sport duel of the week #19" doesnt shout anything interesting to me. Maybe thats why others arent visiting as often either? :)

Away from my PS4 at the moment, so I decided to counter those R8 guys by saying that I will vote for the BMW M4 Coupe '14 based on its performance in the FIA Live Events and the fact that I drive for BMW in the Manufacturer Series Exhibition Season.

BMW M4
2,979 cc
425 hp / 5,700 rpm
406 ft-lbs / 2,000 rpm
3,300 lbs.

Audi R8
4,163 cc
414 hp / 7,500 rpm
317 ft-lbs / 4,500 rpm
3,439 lbs

The classic tale of forced induction versus natural aspiration. With nearly 1,200 fewer cc's and two fewer cylinders, the M4 pumps out 11 more hp and 89 more ft-lbs of torque than the R8. The Beemer is also 139 lbs lighter overall, but it's front-engined with rear-wheel drive while the Audi is mid-engined with four-wheel-drive, meaning the R8 should handle like a dream while the M4 should handle like an ice skate...And they do.

At Tsukuba on Sport Hard tires:

1:02.577 - BMW M4
1:02.621 - Audi R8 4.2

Nearly identical lap times. For me it comes down to the R8 being less of a hassle to wring out on track like a wet towel. The BMW is too raucous and wild, requiring more prudence with the right foot around corners. With the R8, just point the nose at the apex and floor it. And that's why it gets my vote.

Hey, I only just noticed this thread. Ive been on these forums for several years now and this is the first time ive noticed one of these competitions, and I'm really enjoying reading everyones opinions on the cars and the time trial times. Its a shame that it seems to be struggling to get people to vote as well.

Maybe it would be possible to make the title of the thread a bit more enticing? Im not suggesting clickbait or anything but "GT Sport duel of the week #19" doesnt shout anything interesting to me. Maybe thats why others arent visiting as often either? :)

Welcome to the thread! If you need any explanation on how things work around here, just PM me and I can give you all the details.

The title of the thread says exactly what it needs to IMO, so I don’t see why it needs to be changed. I did try to make it more interesting with the weekly titles but sometimes those are better than others.

Will not be testing myself anymore. But I still like this thread a lot !

That’s unfortunate. I can remove you from the emergency flare if you wish in the future. Remember you’re always welcome to come back if you ever feel the urge.

Most of the RWD car in the N-400 class seem to struggle for grip even on the softest street tires. Well the BMW M4 is no exception and it can be really hard to keep those rear tires hooked up. To much power at the wrong time and you can become a passenger instantly. Driving the M4 as an automatic seems to only Intensifie the loss of traction.
Everything else about the car feels great and once I learned to control the chaos I was able to post my fastest time.

1:18.999

I really thought I could easily beat my M4 time in the Audi R8 after all the car is incredibly stable, predictable and fun to drive. It doesn't have the normal traits most AWD cars exhibit but it could really use better brake system. But lap after lap I kept falling short and sadly the R8 just dosen't have the horsepower to match the BMW. My time was -

1:20.133

The BMW might be the outright fastest lap winner but it also came with a few challenges that I had to overcome for that to happen. The R8 is definitely more stable, automatic friendly and most importantly its easy to turn consistent laps all while being a little aggressive with it.

The R8 gets my vote for this challenge hands down. I think it sounds more aggressive too.

Last edited:
As usual, my times are slower than others, but I was able to pick which car I prefer - just 5 laps each at Suzuka to determine my preference. I was surprised how close my times were. The stability of the AWD Audi made it much easier to maximize my lap time and reduce errors. The BMW had more speed, but the FR configuration made it more prone to errors - as Rinsky has noted, keeping the tires hooked up was a constant challenge. If I really wanted to get the fastest time, I think the M4 has the most potential - it would just take more work with lots of practice laps. I enjoyed driving the Audi more, and in a lazy way, I would pick it over the M4 - less work for comparable times.

Audi R8 - 2:25.062
BMW M4 - 2:25.247

My vote is for the Audi

On another note - I created a Windows 10 theme (desktop backgrounds) of GT Sport cars from the 60s, in case anyone is interested: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gt-sport-cars-from-the-1960s-windows-10-desktop-theme.383536/

Alright, first time doing this, let's go.

Ah, the good old R8. A personal favourite of mine, I've loved it since the first time I saw it back in GT4 when it was still the V12 twin turbo LeMans quattro. I love the way it looks, and since you can have it in the V8 and V10 flavours without changing its looks I also love how it sounds.

I've had it in GTS for a long time, and although as soon as I got it I went to the Livery Editor to recreate the colour of the original LeMans, I've never actually driven it.

Now that I have, I must say I'm very surprised. The thing is, understeer is my kryptonite, and if a car isn't RWD it feels very weird because of it. Not the R8, though. If I don't do anything weird with it, it just turns. It's very stable, definitely more than I expected. Admittedly, though, even with very little understeer it still doesn't feel quite right, and I'd prefer driving my good old NSX with constant oversteer than the very stable R8.

And now, the M4. To be honest, I'm very indifferent about this car. I don't dislike it, but given the option I'd take any of its predecessors any day. But anyway, I had to drive it. Aaand... absolutely no surprises there. I was sliding through the exit of almost every corner, as it should be. And normally I'd say "I wasn't going very fast but I was smiling the whole way", but with the M4 I was smiling and going faster than the R8. By quite a bit, too, which didn't surprise me in the slightest either.

Having driven both now, I'd say that I prefer how the M4 drives. However I just can't quite vote the M4. As I said earlier, the R8 is one of my favourite cars while the M4 is just another car to me. While the latter is the better car, the former has surprised me with its stability and lack of understeer, so my vote goes to the Audi R8 4.2.

Last edited:
What happened to this thread? Can it be reborn? AE86 vs Mazda Roadster NA, anyone?!

Duel of the Week wasn’t in very much demand near the end and I kept missing deadlines for duel end dates so I decided to discontinue running the thread. This format hasn’t been anywhere near as popular as the GT6 iteration and we struggled to get more than a couple votes for a bunch of weeks. I was thinking that maybe GT Sport wasn’t the right game for this kind of thread.

I assuming people are interested to the fate of this thread so I’ll leave it up you guys to tell me if you want this thread to come back or not. Just post down below and if I get enough traffic, maybe I’ll consider it.

Back