GT Sport Gr.N - How does it work?

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 41 comments
Australia
Australia
Rather than tie up the Master list for cars, discussion is open for the placing of the Gr.N(Normal) car list.

Based on PSX build car select screens and related info, we may see Gr.N cars distinguished by 3-digit suffixes.
With the Gr.N100 MX-5 ND, it also appears in Gr.4 as an N200 machine. Does this add to the car count(with 48 cars yet to be revealed) by upgrading any Gr.N "Normal" car to a higher spec race car?

Last edited:
Thanks for making this thread @05XR8

I've heard rumors that the N class will be based on hp
N100 hp: 100-199
N200 hp: 200-299 etc.

I hope not though like I've been mentioning for example the Alfa Romeo 4C is currently an N200 car but could probably fit into The N300, or N400 because it's acceleration is quicker than others in its class.

The cars being able to be built up to the racing groups could happen too, but then wouldn't you have to have multiple of the same car to get into different classes
For example an Alfa Romeo 4C N200, gr.4, and gr.3. So I personally think they should make it so you cannot upgrade/ tune your car or even make a racing class out of it, but that's my opinion.

Last edited:
ss3
Thanks for making this thread @05XR8

I've heard rumors that the N class will be based on hp
N100 hp: 100-199
N200 hp: 200-299 etc.

I hope not though like I've been mentioning for example the Alfa Romeo 4C is currently an N200 car but could probably fit into The N300, or N400 because it's acceleration is quicker than others in its class.

The cars being able to be built up to the racing groups could happen too, but then wouldn't you have to have multiple of the same car to get into different classes
For example an Alfa Romeo 4C N200, gr.4, and gr.3. So I personally think they should make it so you cannot upgrade/ tune your car or even make a racing class out of it, but that's my opinion.

Which makes things dubious for the BoP. That N100 MX-5. Can it be upgraded at all, to race a Gr.N SLS?

Some of the videos and pics we've seen at the initial reveal, show the N200 MX-5 racing Gr.N cars. A gtp member did note, the N200 MX-5 and other Gr.4 cars in the same pic as the Gr.N cars, could have been to showcase a mock grid. Fair enough.

I can agree with not upgrading cars and instead, purchasing them(RMs) like GT5P(just tune and personalise with livery editor). Building up Cr. and acquiring gift cars is also what we need to know.

Seems very weird they changed the MX-5 from N200 to N100. I hope there at least are multiple versions if we can't tune and tweak.
I was looking forward to racing that MX-5 a lot (even though I don't like MX-5s too much), but it being N100.... not so sure I'll use it that much. Unless the AI sucks and I can beat N400 cars with it. Online is a different story though.

I like the idea of GT5P tuning. Makes it quick and easy to setup a car how you like it.

It is weird. How about the MiTO & Focus ST?
Do the remaining 48 cars include these variants in upgraded N200 Gr.4 guise? Or Scirocco in N(ormal)200 downgrade from Gr.4?

...I always figured all these N.XXX malarkey had something to do either the power output (which seems to be the case with that Merc A45 as that makes near-as-damnit 400PS) or power-to-weight ratio, albeit in a gimped form.

I could be wrong though - haven't gone through all the vids that were posted on various threads yet. Not enough free time. Oh well.

It is weird. How about the MiTO & Focus ST?
Do the remaining 48 cars include these variants in upgraded N200 Gr.4 guise? Or Scirocco in N(ormal)200 downgrade from Gr.4?

I'd say that it's just a tune that fits the class. Gr.4 is different, due to their interior being from race cars, instead of production car interior, they also have a flat floor, front spliter and new brakes, probably a racing suspension and transmission and the engine limited to a certain range of power (if not a specific power output).

I'd say that it's just a tune that fits the class. Gr.4 is different, due to their interior being from race cars, instead of production car interior, they also have a flat floor, front spliter and new brakes, probably a racing suspension and transmission and the engine limited to a certain range of power (if not a specific power output).
If the cars are different, it can be said we know some of these cars make up the remaining 48 cars:

GROUP N - N100 (2)

Mazda Roadster S (ND)
Toyota SF-R

GROUP N - N200 (4)

Alfa Romeo 4c Launch Edition + Gr.B(?)
Peugeot 208 GTi + Gr.4
Toyota GT-86 + Gr.4
Volkswagen Golf VII GTI + Gr.4

GROUP N - N300 (5)

Audi TTS Coupe + Gr.4, Gr.B(?)
Ford Focus ST + Gr.4
Lotus Evora + Gr.4, Gr.B(?)
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X Final Edition
Subaru WRX STI Type S

GROUP N - N400 (6)

Aston Martin V8 Vantage S + Gr.4, Gr.B(?)
BMW M4 Coupe + Gr.4, Gr.B(?)
Ford Mustang GT Premium Fastback
Lexus RC-F + Gr.3
Mercedes Benz A45 AMG 4MATIC '13 + Gr.4, Gr.B(?)
Toyota S-FR Racing Concept

GROUP N - Safety (2)

Mercedes-Benz Mercedes-AMG GT S Safety Car
BMW M4 Coupe Safety Car

GROUP N - Unknown Sub-Group (14)

Alfa Romeo Mito 1.4 T Sport + Gr.4, Gr.B(?)
Aston Martin One-77
Chevrolet Corvette Stingray
Chevrolet Camaro SS '16 + Gr.4, Gr.3, Gr.B(?)
Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat + Gr.4
Ferrari LaFerrari
Honda NSX '17 + Gr.4, Gr.3
Jaguar F-Type R Coupe + Gr.4
Lamborghini Veneno
McLaren 650S + Gr.4
Mercedes-Benz Mercedes-AMG GT S + Gr.4
Nissan GTR 2012 + Gr.4
Nissan GTR 2017 + Gr.4
Renault Sport Megane R.S. + Gr.4, Gr.B(?)

A possible 28 cars can make up the remaining 48. If we add each car as different model the way PD has done.

Last edited:
If the cars are different, it can be said we know some of these cars make up the remaining 48 cars:

GROUP N - N100 (2)

Mazda Roadster S (ND)
Toyota SF-R

GROUP N - N200 (4)

Peugeot 208 GTi + Gr.4
Toyota GT-86 + Gr.4

GROUP N - N300 (5)

Ford Focus ST + Gr.4
Subaru WRX STI Type S

GROUP N - N400 (6)

Lexus RC-F + Gr.3

GROUP N - Safety (2)

BMW M4 Coupe Safety Car

Aston Martin One-77
Ferrari LaFerrari
Lamborghini Veneno
McLaren 650S + Gr.4
Nissan GTR 2012 + Gr.4
Nissan GTR 2017 + Gr.4

A possible 28 cars can make up the remaining 48. If we add each car as different model the way PD has done.

My point was that Gr.4 is different than Gr.N, so the same car for the two specs will count as two cars.
The rest we don't know how it will be made. There are brands with very few cars, some without a single car. It's likely that some of the cars will have subversions, but I'd bet that in those cases it will depend if said brand already has a car in said category. I doubt there will be a Camaro Gr.3 for example, since there is already the Corvette. Exceptions might happen though.

My point was that Gr.4 is different than Gr.N, so the same car for the two specs will count as two cars.
The rest we don't know how it will be made. There are brands with very few cars, some without a single car. It's likely that some of the cars will have subversions, but I'd bet that in those cases it will depend if said brand already has a car in said category. I doubt there will be a Camaro Gr.3 for example, since there is already the Corvette. Exceptions might happen though.
Yes, I know what you mean.
We have the Gr.B Mustang & Focus. Gr.3 & Gr.B VGT Golf, but no Gr.4 VGT Golf, but there is a Gr.4 Scirocco. Maybe we don't get a Gr.4 Mustang and instead, get a Gr.4 Focus.

I continue to agree with you. The car list and how the rest of the cars are assigned, is still in limbo.

Just like real life, there can't be a one model to use from economy car racing to LMP. How that then effects the Manufacturer's Cup, I haven't a clue.

GROUP N - N100 (2)

Mazda Roadster S (ND)
Toyota SF-R

GROUP N - N200 (4)

Peugeot 208 GTi + Gr.4
Toyota GT-86 + Gr.4

GROUP N - N300 (5)

Ford Focus ST + Gr.4
Subaru WRX STI Type S

GROUP N - N400 (6)

Lexus RC-F + Gr.3

GROUP N - Safety (2)

BMW M4 Coupe Safety Car

Aston Martin One-77
Ferrari LaFerrari
Lamborghini Veneno
McLaren 650S + Gr.4
Nissan GTR 2012 + Gr.4
Nissan GTR 2017 + Gr.4

Good point noting that some cars aren't in N groups yet I actually forgot about them, this makes it weirder since PD has net shown any evidence of any gr.N aboveboard N.400

Wonder what group the Veneno is in.

Probably in N700/N800 or something similar, and the rest of the hypercars might get slightly tweaked.
I won't be Gr.3, let alone Gr.4, neither Gr.1 because that wouldn't make sense, since it's a road car, far from an LMP1. Even if we had a P1 GTR, a Zonda R, an FXX-K and a Vulcan, the Veneno wouldn't fit the category, because road car (and due to being too slow lol).
Afterall, there aren't many modern hypercars that are able to compete against the Holy Trinity, so a class with any of those three cars, needs to be filled with proper opponents. Veneno, Huayra (probably the BC model), Agera (or One:1), Hennessy Venom (if you can put the power down, much like any Koenigsegg), Jaguar C-X75 (if Jaguar allows it), Veyron SS or Chiron and maybe a Ruf CTR3. Not much competition, since it's not likely that we get more than half of these by launch.

ss3
Good point noting that some cars aren't in N groups yet I actually forgot about them, this makes it weirder since PD has net shown any evidence of any gr.N aboveboard N.400
Credit goes to @Samus for organising the list.
Probably in N700/N800 or something similar, and the rest of the hypercars might get slightly tweaked.
I won't be Gr.3, let alone Gr.4, neither Gr.1 because that wouldn't make sense, since it's a road car, far from an LMP1. Even if we had a P1 GTR, a Zonda R, an FXX-K and a Vulcan, the Veneno wouldn't fit the category, because road car (and due to being too slow lol).
Afterall, there aren't many modern hypercars that are able to compete against the Holy Trinity, so a class with any of those three cars, needs to be filled with proper opponents. Veneno, Huayra (probably the BC model), Agera (or One:1), Hennessy Venom (if you can put the power down, much like any Koenigsegg), Jaguar C-X75 (if Jaguar allows it), Veyron SS or Chiron and maybe a Ruf CTR3. Not much competition, since it's not likely that we get more than half of these by launch.
Exactly. Where do the VGT "Normal" cars slot in? N1000? N1500?

Credit goes to @Samus for organising the list.

Exactly. Where do the VGT "Normal" cars slot in? N1000? N1500?

That's a tricky one, because just a few of them are supposed to be road cars. The Aston comes to mind, and that would fit quite well against other hypercars. The Mitsubishi, just like the Infinity and Subaru VGT, are something similar to the Golf VGT (the one in Gr.3), so they might be used as race cars. The Nissan could probably fit the hypercar class. The Mini VGT could fit in which class? Gr.4? Gr.B? The Alpine had two variants in GT6, the other will be taken as a road car? The BMW is a race car, so, where will it race? Gr.3 would be filled with 3 BMWs (4 if we count both M6's as 2), so Gr.4? The Chaparral is the though one here, Gr.1 maybe? The Dodge, had 3 variants before, now we get a 4th version, what happens to the rest? The road car fits perfectly in the hypercar club, the rest no so much. The Lexus fits in Gr.3 quite well. Both Mercedes will fit where?
Even the race focused VGTs are though to accomodate.

I'd swear the Peugeot VGT would fit Gr.1. Yet, it's in Gr.3. At the moment, if I want to race a high HP Gr.N Peugeot, it would have to be a tuned 308.
If we can't tune a Gr.N(taking into account tuning it places it into a higher Gr. category), how can I represent my manufacturer in that N500, N600 class?

I'd swear the Peugeot VGT would fit Gr.1. Yet, it's in Gr.3. At the moment, if I want to race a high HP Gr.N Peugeot, it would have to be a tuned 308.
If we can't tune a Gr.N(taking into account tuning it places it into a higher Gr. category), how can I represent my manufacturer in that N500, N600 class?

The Peugeot would never fit Gr.1. The one we had in GT6 had a great power-to-weight ratio, it was in the hypercar territory, Gr.1 is a completely different league. They probably didn't put that Peugeot in the hypercar class, due to the lack of any other option for Peugeot in Gr.3. As far as we know, they could have the Peugeot feature in both classes, being the original car in GT6 (4wd, no spoiler and no racing splitter) used for N800 for example.

I think you are mixing things up. N class has nothing to do with Gr.1, 3, 4 or B. N class is for road cars, stock or tuned, that will be grouped in subcategories, being the top categorie something like N1000 or something close to this. Gr.1/3/4/B are a completely different thing, using purpose built cars that respect the regulations for each class.
We don't know how much we can customize the road cars, but if we can, they will become usable in the next subcategory (N200 to N300, for example). This is my bet, but for now, we don't know how limited will the usability of each road car be, when it comes to N classes.

I understand each class. The N200 MX-5 designation in Gr.4, is what has made things a bit iffy.

It has a different interior, spoiler kit. Purpose built as you mentioned. Subclassing that in Gr.4 is another thing.
It shouldn't be a Gr.4 N200 MX-5 . It should just be a Gr.4 MX-5.

The subclass would then complicate things. I can only race my Gr.4 N200 MX-5 vs Gr.4 N200 cars. It defeats the purpose of racing the Gr.4 field.

Now, if it's only to point out that MX-5 has between 200-299hp and a Gr.4 RC-F is rated N400(400-499hp), fine.

Going by the pics we have seen, I don't expect to race my N200 tuned MX-5(spoiler kit, roll cage, power increase, full adjustable suspension) in Gr.N N200(Normal cars with no spoilers, roll cage, SH tyres) subclass. It shouldn't work like that.

I understand each class. The N200 MX-5 designation in Gr.4, is what has made things a bit iffy.

It has a different interior, spoiler kit. Purpose built as you mentioned. Subclassing that in Gr.4 is another thing.
It shouldn't be a Gr.4 N200 MX-5 . It should just be a Gr.4 MX-5.

The subclass would then complicate things. I can only race my Gr.4 N200 MX-5 vs Gr.4 N200 cars. It defeats the purpose of racing the Gr.4 field.

Now, if it's only to point out that MX-5 has between 200-299hp and a Gr.4 RC-F is rated N400(400-499hp), fine.

Going by the pics we have seen, I don't expect to race my N200 tuned MX-5(spoiler kit, roll cage, power increase, full adjustable suspension) in Gr.N N200(Normal cars with no spoilers, roll cage, SH tyres) subclass. It shouldn't work like that.

I don't think we saw the MX-5 N200 being listed as a G.4 car. The car might be just slightly tuned, with a slightly different bodykit, rollcage and a little more hp. The interior, I don't recall seeing an MX-5 with different interior other than the stock version.

I believe Gr.4 will be just Gr.4, no subclasses.

I do expect to race them in a higher N class, as long as the tunes that those cars get are not racing spec. If it wasn't possible to do that, some cars would have a very restrictive usability, fitting only one subclass.

I don't think we saw the MX-5 N200 being listed as a G.4 car. The car might be just slightly tuned, with a slightly different bodykit, rollcage and a little more hp. The interior, I don't recall seeing an MX-5 with different interior other than the stock version.

I believe Gr.4 will be just Gr.4, no subclasses.

I do expect to race them in a higher N class, as long as the tunes that those cars get are not racing spec. If it wasn't possible to do that, some cars would have a very restrictive usability, fitting only one subclass.
The white and the soul red racing MX-5s we've been shown, have the same body kit, roll cage, wheels and number plate. The white car reads as "N200". However, from what we see, cars with spoilers and roll cages and number plates are Gr.4 cars and up. Roll cages are the main interior difference we can see(Someone in the threads have mentioned the interiors could be different).

This is where Gr.N may appeal more to the stock tune racer. If PD monitored how players use cars, there were(probably still are) so many stock only rooms in GT6. Even shuffle rooms were aplenty.

The white and the soul red racing MX-5s we've been shown, have the same body kit, roll cage, wheels and number plate. The white car reads as "N200". However, from what we see, cars with spoilers and roll cages and number plates are Gr.4 cars and up. Roll cages are the main interior difference we can see(Someone in the threads have mentioned the interiors could be different).

This is where Gr.N may appeal more to the stock tune racer. If PD monitored how players use cars, there were(probably still are) so many stock only rooms in GT6. Even shuffle rooms were aplenty.

One of them might be N200, and the other Gr.4. The Scirocco Gr.4 doesn't have that much exterior differences, compared to a stock Scirocco, apart from a flat floor, spoiler and a small front splitter. The big difference is the interior, not only a full roadcage, but different steering wheel and instrumentation. In fact, I believe the Scirocco has the cockpit from the N24 car, if not the whole car being a replica of the N24 car.

I mentioned in some other thread that the interiors for the Gr.4 cars are different than their road version of the same car. The Megane is another example of this.

N200
IMG_7402.PNG

Group 4
IMG_7401.JPG

Which means the N200 MX-5 is Group 4 and the N100 belongs to the N-Series and is completely stock with no spoiler, no roll cage.

Guys I think it's pretty obvious now that the N200 notation on the MX-5 that also looked like Gr.4 was just crossover from early builds before PD had finalised how they would group/name cars. The only time we've seen it with the name N200 was the very first Copperbox build and we know that was very old, it looked like crap and nothing was finished. This is also the case for some cars that had (S) after their name, that was only seen in the very early builds. In fact I don't think Group 4 was even a thing in that build, I don't believe we saw any with a Gr.4 title. They added it on the website under the Gr.4 category though, because by then it was a thing, even though the build being played at that point was older.

One would guess initially group N was going to be the race modded road cars and road cars wouldn't have any classes, then they changed it to what they have now.

There are two MX-5 so far.

Mazda Roadster S Gr. 4 - The race modded version. No 'N' designation.
Mazda Roadster S N100 - The bone stock road car

That's it. Simple.

As for whether road cars can be upgraded up through N classes, I highly doubt it. Kaz said no major modding and it wouldn't work if everything is supposed to be balanced. If you took a N100 car and slapped a turbo on it, then what? N140? No, the upgrades would have to be pre-determined to get you to N200, N300 etc and I can't see that.

Likewise I don't think road cars will be able to be turned into Gr.1/3/4. This isn't a traditional GT game in that regard, everything is already in it's pre-determined class. You won't be upgrading a road car to race against LMPs.

Even among the Gr4 cars, there is a huge difference between the Scirocco who looks like a proper race car and the MX5 with a plain spoiler and a stock cockpit. Gtsport is clearly a work in progress for a couple of months.

Perhaps you can upgrade to Gr.4 presets like Racing Modification.

maxresdefault.jpg

img_7402-png.613647

I hope this is true, much alike GT2 where the natural car-list over 600 wasn't altered. Also, given that the image below is from the Copperbox build, we may see decals, maybe more aero-parts etc. Other than that, it's much alike spamming.

I already noted above that the N200 Roadster with Gr.4 appearance was almost certainly from an early build before they finalised everything, when Gr.4 wasn't even a thing. That car was only ever seen with that designation in that first build, which was months old.

Kaz has said, in roundabout words, that there won't be upgrades in the game. Cars are in their pre-determined, balanced groups and that is it.

I already noted above that the N200 Roadster with Gr.4 appearance was almost certainly from an early build before they finalised everything, when Gr.4 wasn't even a thing. That car was only ever seen with that designation in that first build, which was months old.

Kaz has said, in roundabout words, that there won't be upgrades in the game. Cars are in their pre-determined, balanced groups and that is it.

Kaz said "you won't be able to make a 1000hp GTR", as in performance. Racing Modifications are a already built if you remember them. Other than that, I just hate seeing a duplicated car list, there's just a spoiler and kit added to the car with slight improved performance.

Latest Posts

Back