GT Sport Has More Than 7 Million Players According to Polyphony Digital's Latest Figures

No they're not — they'd be misleading if Polyphony was trying to compare player counts with game sales. Which it hasn't.

True, PD have made no such comparison, & I never said/insinuated they did either. However, it's not therefore automatically true that they are not misleading us, as it would all depend on what their motive was for moving from game sales stats to "player" type stats for GT Sport. If they were doing it deliberately to hide/play down the fact that GTS has sold the least amount of copies of any main GT title to date, then I would say it was misleading (but, what I said about these types of stats being intrinsically misleading was incorrect, as was Disraeli's quote, as statistics don't lie - people sometimes lie by manipulating/misusing stats).

We're seeing this shift across the gaming landscape for good reason: it's what matters more these days. Only focusing on sales figures was partially out of necessity back in previous generations: Sony had no idea what people were doing with their copies of GT3 once they were sold. Now developers can get a better idea of how players are interacting with their products, which is a far more powerful tool for improving the games themselves.

But that reasoning doesn't really apply to GT5 Prologue, GT5, or GT6, as all of those games were online. GT4 & earlier, yes. But, not GT5 Prologue & later.

Look at Apex Legends: it just hit a huge milestone with 50 million players so far. It's a free title, but much like another huge title (Fortnite), it has microtransactions. So even if the cost to get in the door is nothing, the developer can leverage that enormous userbase to ensure money is coming in through the MTs. Even if it's a small percentage of players, it's a small percentage of a huge figure. Plus, I believe you'll find more folks are willing to part with a few dollars here and there if they've already got the main game for free.

This is a typical example of a red herring fallacy... :rolleyes:

Sales figures being the only metric for success is an outdated way of looking at things. Even the music industry had to readjust to account for how listeners engage with music these days. It's about time the video game world did the same.

I agree. Times change, & we need to change with them. However, as per my first point; are PD doing this to be modern, or to hide poor sales of GTS compared to previous titles? I guess we'll never really know their true motives for sure...

Bigger picture - it was for the best PD concentrated on PS4/5 quality assets, even if it meant GT Sport launched undercooked. It will ensure GT7 is the title we all want.

PD said the exact same thing (futureproofing) to justify the delays with Gran Turismo 5, and Sport was undercooked at launch anyway, with most of the post launch content returning from GT6. So I have my doubts that they won't do the same with GT7.

Last edited:
Its hilarious to see some still trying to downplay GTS's success, which is going to continue to grow. Should be at 8.5-9 million by the end of the year.

Its no surprise though. Many people on GTPlanet vastly underestimated how much GTS was going to sell.

Its hilarious to see some still trying to downplay GTS's success, which is going to continue to grow. Should be at 8.5-9 million by the end of the year.

Its no surprise though. Many people on GTPlanet vastly underestimated how much GTS was going to sell.

Like how you overestimate and belittle every other racing game out there that challenges it?

When Forza Horizon 4 announced it hit 9 million plays

Was on Game Pass.

Netflix-style services are the way forward

Definitely not. MS leaned into it because the XB1 is getting destroyed by the PS4 by more than 50 million and PS4 software sales crush them as well.

For perspective, Netflix Q1 revenue was around $4 billion. PSN made $18 billion. The PSN model is far more lucrative.

...you seem very happy to do it when it isn't your preferred title.

You mean stating valid facts. A game on GP and PS+ is going to have player counts inflated. Try to at least make fair comparisons.

Like how you overestimate and belittle every other racing game out there that challenges it?

If reality is belittling then thats not my problem.

Definitely not. MS leaned into it because the XB1 is getting destroyed by the PS4 by more than 50 million and PS4 software sales crush them as well.

For perspective, Netflix Q1 revenue was around $4 billion. PSN made $18 billion. The PSN model is far more lucrative.

z35vm2ds-1409634662.jpg

Keep on trying, though!

Edit: Oh, and that's not even a PSN figure: it's Sony's entire Q1 revenue. Surprise surprise, more misleading fact quoting.

Last edited:
If reality is belittling then thats not my problem.

Nah, reality is that Gran Turismo isn't the market leader of the racing genre anymore in terms of pure sales, and that with changing dynamics, sales numbers mean little compared to player numbers.

But keep lying to yourself that Forza Horizon 4 only sold 4 actual copies and the rest of the people played it on Game Pass, and that Driveclub was a F2P game when you were told, countless times, that it was only a paid PS+ demo that you could upgrade to the full experience.

Yet when you're presented with evidence that Polyphony and Sony inflated player numbers by adding beta players to the player count, you deflect. When GT Sport gets added to PS+, you'll probably shift the goalposts and applaud Polyphony as geniuses when you **** upon every other developer who did the exact same thing.

You're an absolute joke.

Last edited:
Oh look, you ignored context, what a ****ing surprise.

Seriously, GTS would actually be easier to like if it's fan base didn't have so many GT6mebe's.

I think that's what is pissing me off about his posts: we're living in a world now where basically these sort of dick measuring contests are pointless because of how feast or famine the genre is, and not only that, but with both Forza series' move to PC as well as Xbox, the move to Game Pass, etc, the metric for what constitutes a sales success have changed, and are now based on 'how long are players actually playing for, and how can we make sure the experience stays for as long as possible?'

And yet we have people like GT6mebe, who act as if this is still 2007 and we're still doing this console war ********, trying to seriously move the goalposts as often as he can and make GT's competition look like crap in comparison.

GT hasn't been the market leader in racing games since 2005. GT has essentially been coasting on brand name recognition, and the fact that being a Japanese first party developer on a console where most of the first party talent has shifted to the West has afforded Polyphony and Kaz a very healthy cushion to work upon. Other competitors have taken up their position, and we're the better for it as racing game fans with the choices that we have in this very moment.

But to some, the old notion of being a died in the wool fan of a specific series still holds cache. Why, when there's a bevy of other racing games to play and enjoy, I don't know.

Why wouldn't it be compared? It's based on number of players. After all, GTS has seen many discounts in the past, which may have also helped boost up new players (but that depends however, since accounts also come into play here).

I feel FH4 has everyday right to be compared to GTS based on player counts.
I just want MSFT to make as much money as possible being a shareholder, lol. I use to be somewhat of a fanboy with GT an what not but as a person invested with MSFT I just them to make it rain, even though I still think GTS trumps Forza. For me GTS is a better game by a mile but MSFT is my cashcow and much better company to be invested with long term than Sony. In essence MS's gaming division is meh.

Last edited:
Yet that's what the end result is.

Doing it for any title is downplaying them, this thread has been full of members doing just that for a range of titles. From 'GTS got discounted quicker than others', to 'DC was on PS+', to 'Forza was on Gamepass'. Reasons to claim that 'title x' should be treated differently because 'title y' did or didn't do this are exactly that. A reason to justify the numbers for one, at the expense of the other.

Its impossible to do a like for like comparison on the basis of any numbers because they are all sold, accessed, played in different ways.

As such, intentional or not, that's exactly what you ended up doing in your post.
I’m sorry it came off that way but now you understand the actual point of the message.

VBR
I agree. Times change, & we need to change with them. However, as per my first point; are PD doing this to be modern, or to hide poor sales of GTS compared to previous titles? I guess we'll never really know their true motives for sure...

That wouldn’t make any sense though. They didn’t hide GT6 sells despite it doing less and GTS is most likely ahead of that title now. No way to know for sure but it’s at least on par to it at the very least now.

Maybe they go by this metric because past GT games went by shipped, and Sony has done away with shipped numbers?

Last edited:
Keep on trying, though!

Edit: Oh, and that's not even a PSN figure: it's Sony's entire Q1 revenue. Surprise surprise, more misleading fact quoting.

Its not apple to oranges. XB1 is getting thoroughly thrashed in both software sales and hardware and hence a different revenue stream is sought after.

Sony and Nintendo don't need it. They have great hardware and software sales.

My bad, just read a headline. Seems like PSN is in the 4 billion area as well.

reality is that Gran Turismo isn't the market leader of the racing genre anymore in terms of pure sales,

Sim wise it easily is. The competition doesn't come close.

Racing wise, it's hard to say. We don't have GTS sales or FH3/4 sales. UK launch has GTS beating both FH3 and FH4. Either way its number 1 or 2.

But keep lying to yourself that Forza Horizon 4 only sold 4 actual copies and the rest of the people played it on Game Pass, and that Driveclub was a F2P game when you were told, countless times, that it was only a paid PS+ demo that you could upgrade to the full experience.

Seems like someone can't come to terms that FH4/DC player counts are inflated lol

Yet when you're presented with evidence that Polyphony and Sony inflated player numbers by adding beta players to the player count, you deflect.

Proof of this? When did PD/Sony numbers include beta accounts?

GT hasn't been the market leader in racing games since 2005.

Lmao
What other racing game sold 12 million. Only one I can think of is Mario Kart.

It seems you really don't know much about the state of GT and the racing genre in the industry.

Umm, okay? What, you think the 7 million only comes from game pass players? If so than you wrong, as players who bought the game are also counted in that as well.

Point is no one knows the split, hence the comparison is not fair to games not on those services.

When Forza Horizon 4 announced it hit 9 million plays, some people were quick to bash it right away. With GT, you dare say anything against it you be considered a hater, even with valid criticisms that Forza gets on a daily basis.

On topic, congrats to PD I guess. But when is GT7 coming?
Lol, how so? Many praise FH4 sales as a success even here.

Lmao
What other racing game sold 12 million. Only one I can think of is Mario Kart.

It seems you really don't know much about the state of GT and the racing genre in the industry.
Clearly nor do you, or you would be aware that the NFS series topped 100m units sold as far back as 2009, with Most Wanted exceeding 16m units.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/need-for-speed-series-sells-100m-shift-moves-309k/1100-6237491/

GT as a series still has a way to go in order to be the best selling racing franchise around, regardless of single title sales volumes.

Awaits excuses as to why this doesn't count......

Last edited:
Clearly nor do you, or you would be aware that the NFS series topped 100m units sold as far back as 2009, with Most Wanted exceeding 16m units.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/need-for-speed-series-sells-100m-shift-moves-309k/1100-6237491/

GT as a series still has a way to go in order to be the best selling racing franchise around, regardless of single title sales volumes.

Awaits excuses as to why this doesn't count......

Not sure why you are totaling all sales....
I didn't know about NFS MW selling that much. So the only two racing games to outsell GT5 since 05 were the best selling MK of all time and best selling NFS of all time?

The collapse of NFS after that though is remarkable: 16 mil -> 3.2 mil -> 2.4 mil -> 1.4 mil
MK still going strong, as expected.

I didn't know about NFS MW selling that much. So the only two racing games to outsell GT5 since 05 were the best selling MK of all time and best selling NFS of all time?

The collapse of NFS after that though is remarkable: 16 mil -> 3.2 mil -> 2.4 mil -> 1.4 mil
15 minutes for the excuses to land, well done you don't disappoint.

Why is it impossible for you to give any credit for anything, to any other franchise or title? Are you unable to read and therefore understand the difference between worldwide and US sales?

Seriously what actually is wrong?

Now gamstat have updated the numbers once again, and just to ensure you get thrown into another rage-post outburst lets take a look shall we.

GT as a series first:
gt.png

Now Driveclub (because I know how much you like to see this one):
dc.png

And finish off with a bit of NFS:
nfs.png

Oh it would seem that in terms of overall player numbers we have a rather clear front runner here among the three, the same when we look at single titles with the most players as well!

Awaits more spin, ******** and tantrums.....

Last edited:
Point is no one knows the split
Neither do you.
hence the comparison is not fair to games not on those services.
It doesn't matter which is "fair". The point is we are comparing number of players on both games. Nothing wrong or "unfair" in what's being compared.

In fact, if we switched the tables around. Would it be "unfair" if FH4 was compared to GTS's number of players if GTS was also on PS+?
Lol, how so? Many praise FH4 sales as a success even here.
Well I'm not talking "here". More so I'm talking the last few news in FH4's subforum where people spoke about it.

Last edited:
GTS and FH4 are both great games. As for sales, I make another account on psn, start up GT Sport once and it counts as another player for GTS. I downloaded FH4 for windows 10 for 1$ game pass, probably counts as a sale as well.

As long as PD and Playground games make money it's all good, keep the games coming.

First off, the 3.2 mil & 2.4 mil figures are US-only sales where as the 16 mil is global; Most Wanted sold 3.9 mil US-only. Therefore, the drop is not as "remarkable" as you intend to propose: 3.9->3.2->2.4->1.4 US-only.

It quite clearly differentiates this in Scaff's link as well, yet you purposely chose to use the global figure of 1 game against the US-only figures of the other 3, to push out a false narrative of "collapse".
In 2005, the series was the undisputed racing king, with Need for Speed Most Wanted selling 16 million copies worldwide, according to EA, and 3.9 million in the US, according to the NPD Group.

However, the subsequent years have seen its once white-hot popularity cool somewhat domestically. Lifetime US sales figures from NPD show 2006's Need for Speed: Carbon selling 3.2 million, 2007's Need for Speed: ProStreet selling 2.4 million, and 2008's Need for Speed: Undercover selling 1.4 million.

Second, because the 1.4 mil is a US-only stat, Undercover managed 5.2 mil in the global market for reference.
Boss John Riccitiello said that third quarter sales over Christmas were "a clear disappointment", but he was pleased with high sales of FIFA 09 at 7.8 million and Need For Speed Undercover at 5.2 million.
https://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/a145624/ea-reconfirms-massive-global-layoffs/

Last edited:
Hey guys, I just came here to participate in pointless arguments and I heard this is the best thread for it.

If you thought that this was the best thread for it, well, you're about to be pleasantly surprised young man, because these days there are pointless arguments to be had everywhere on GT Planet for our collective joy & delectation! :sly:

someone-is-wrong-on-internet.png

Arguing_Sim.jpg

Pointless Arguments.jpg

GTS and FH4 are both great games. As for sales, I make another account on psn, start up GT Sport once and it counts as another player for GTS. I downloaded FH4 for windows 10 for 1$ game pass, probably counts as a sale as well.

As long as PD and Playground games make money it's all good, keep the games coming.

Well balanced thought out comments like this have no place in this thread.

Just play the game people (or don't). Who cares how many this game has sold versus how many another game has sold.

What’s hilarious is when you also tried to downplay many other games that have more players than GTS, hypocritically so.

It’s no surprise though, you use false and misleading facts and lies to try to downplay many other games, Hell, even this game.
Was on Game Pass.
And? What we do know is that Horizon 3 did just as good as GTS in the same amount of time. So even if it wasn’t, we could have only expected good things. Something that I’m sure you’ll try to lie about.

Just so you don't have to go pull numbers out of your ass, like you seemingly do in every discussion:
Horizon 3 reached 9 million+ in 21 months
GTS reached 7+ million in 16 months

Both of those numbers are averaging around the same in growth. So just like GTS, Horizon has a very high chance to also be the top seller this console generation.

For the record, and I'll make sure to note that it's on the gamepass because that seems to be the most recent thing for you to bring up, is that Horizon 4 reached the same amount that GTS is currently sitting at, in 4 months. So what say you about that? How many are sales at that point, I'm willing to hear your estimate.

Is it going to be like your Horizon 3 estimate, that when they released player data hitting 7 million, that you insisted that literally 50% was duplicate accounts. Or is it going to be like your GTS estimate, that when they released player data hitting 7 million, that you insisted that duplicate accounts only accounted for less than 500k? Cus either way you look at that, that was just a downright stupid thing to say right after you'd make such a claim about a different game :lol:

You mean stating valid facts. A game on GP and PS+ is going to have player counts inflated. Try to at least make fair comparisons.
What’s unfair?

Its not apple to oranges. XB1 is getting thoroughly thrashed in both software sales and hardware and hence a different revenue stream is sought after.
And that means what for anything or anyone here?

Racing wise, it's hard to say. We don't have GTS sales or FH3/4 sales. UK launch has GTS beating both FH3 and FH4. Either way its number 1 or 2.
Funny how in the long run though, that GTS is losing out to Horizon 3 in terms of player count then. Keep spinning thoseblaunch day numbers, it seems to be the only thing you have.

Seems like someone can't come to terms that FH4/DC player counts are inflated lol
And? What does it matter again?

Proof of this? When did PD/Sony numbers include beta accounts?
The funny thing about this is that it actually proves that you don't read anything you respond to. I actually already brought this up to you.

This data probably account Beta Only profiles that are around 620k today.
The extraction has a status tag that 1 means GTS final game profile and 2 means Bea only... these Beta only never played the final game.

The game had 6.23m profiles in December 2018 so 6.34m in October only if included Beta profiles.

Below the full extraction on several dates.

Jan 24, 2018: GTS 3481248, Beta 726004, Total 4207252
Jan 26, 2018: GTS 3504429, Beta 721183, Total 4225612
Jan 30, 2018: GTS 3548375, Beta 721183, Total 4269558
Feb 5, 2018: GTS 3621652, Beta 718789, Total 4340441
Feb 9, 2018: GTS 3647602, Beta 718789, Total 4366391
Feb 19, 2018: GTS 3740505, Beta 713310, Total 4453815
Feb 26, 2018: GTS 3818613, Beta 713310, Total 4531923
Mar 4, 2018: GTS 3885703, Beta 708733, Total 4594436
Mar 12, 2018: GTS 3962581, Beta 704265, Total 4666846
Mar 19, 2018: GTS 4030113, Beta 704265, Total 4734378
Mar 26, 2018: GTS 4088249, Beta 704265, Total 4792514
Aug 6, 2018: GTS 5262454, Beta 660346, Total 5922800
Aug 13, 2018: GTS 5305518, Beta 660346, Total 5965874
Aug 21, 2018: GTS 5367021, Beta 660346, Total 6027367
Aug 29, 2018: GTS 5442650, Beta 640842, Total 6083492
Sep 10, 2018: GTS 5540585, Beta 636684, Total 6177269
Sep 27, 2018: GTS 5656841, Beta 636684, Total 6293525
Dec 18, 2018: GTS 6235947, Beta 636684, Total 6872631
Jan 15, 2019: GTS 6795169, Beta 621204, Total 7416373

UPDATED

Just to fast get the actual number of profiles:

Lastest profiles while I wrote: https://www.gran-turismo.com/br/gtsport/user/profile/8493029/overview

Profiles starts at 1000000 (it is the first profile): 8493029 - 1000000 = 7493029
Remove Beta Only profiles (my last Beta only count was Jan 15, 2019): 7493029 - 621204 = 6871825

6,871,825 profiles in GTS.

You’ve proven that you don’t really know jack ****, frankly. You say a bunch of stupid stuff then disappear from the conversation for half a month. It’s almost clock work so I expect it here too.

Point is no one knows the split, hence the comparison is not fair to games not on those services.
never stopped you in the past of talking about things you quite clearly have no idea about. Remember when tried arguing about the real world cost of loot boxes in Forza 7, and what unique items they hold, that make it a problem? :lol:

Regardless of any of this stupid crap that you constantly bring up, all these games reaching high numbers is good for all of us. For one to constantly bring this up is just telling of how you dont understand the gaming industry, even if you insist that others dont.

Last edited:
Lol, the same people in here that were crapping on the game when it came out and the same people defending it. Some things never change.
The ironic thing here is that no one's crapping on GTS, more so questioning the ridiculous opinions that some diehards hold for some reason.

Again, like clockwork, it was the people that prefer GT that keep bringing up other games, making this argument in the first place.

The ironic thing here is that no one's crapping on GTS, more so questioning the ridiculous opinions that some diehards hold for some reason.

Again, like clockwork, it was the people that prefer GT that keep bringing up other games, making this argument in the first place.
Ahhh long time no talk old friend. I always wondered if your ever owned a PS4. As a guy that has both systems I don't really care about the loud minority.

Statistics...

7 million touched the game. Ok, could be.

10% of that ACTUALLY PLAY it. Like on a more regular basis.

Only 30 % of those are doing Sport Mode.

Only a quarter of these are competing in the FIA races.

My usual answer when some outsider sees my FIA rank and asks me „Of how many players?“ is: 50,000 worldwide. And THAT may be optimistic....

If there was an actual market of 7 million people playing GT Sport would drown in real money competitions from advertising partners...

Would love to know the sales numbers. Though pretty sure it is twice more than Forza, Pcars. Free updates are definitely helping. They are probably going to release a Spec2 or something so I will not be surprised if it reaches 7million sold.

15 minutes for the excuses to land, well done you don't disappoint.

Why is it impossible for you to give any credit for anything, to any other franchise or title? Are you unable to read and therefore understand the difference between worldwide and US sales?

Seriously what actually is wrong?

Now gamstat have updated the numbers once again, and just to ensure you get thrown into another rage-post outburst lets take a look shall we.

GT as a series first:
View attachment 803978

Now Driveclub (because I know how much you like to see this one):
View attachment 803979

And finish off with a bit of NFS:
View attachment 803980

Oh it would seem that in terms of overall player numbers we have a rather clear front runner here among the three, the same when we look at single titles with the most players as well!

Awaits more spin, ******** and tantrums.....

We know that GT has sold over 80million since May 2018. Is there any official source of NFS sales ? Not sure about other NFS games but MW full game was a free download for PS Vita.

Last edited:
Back