GT Sport Has More Than 7 Million Players According to Polyphony Digital's Latest Figures

Would love to know the sales numbers. Though pretty sure it is twice more than Forza, Pcars. Free updates are definitely helping. They are probably going to release a Spec2 or something so I will not be surprised if it reaches 7million sold.
But why would it be more than Forza, when it's sitting at 2 million less players? Double the sales while being nearly 25% less players doesn't really sound like good math on your part. For Horizon, not by a long shot, but that seems more likely for the lesser Motorsport segment.

Last edited:
We know that GT has sold over 80million since May 2018.
We know because PD told us.

Is there any official source of NFS sales ?
The exact same caliber of source that we have for GT's numbers, the developer and publisher.

Odd that you blindly accept one and question the other.

Not sure about other NFS games but MW full game was a free download for PS Vita.
Various GT titles have been given away free with Playstation consoles since the birth of the series, as have Forza titles with Xbox consoles.

Given that I strongly suspect that MW freebies are a lot less than GT or Forza freebies (given that it was on PS+ for one whole month), it would seem you are clutching at straws with this one.

^^
I am not talking about bundles. MW was free download so obviously many people like me would have downloaded it for vita. Can you post a link of nfs or EA site about NFS numbers like it is on PD website ?

But why would it be more than Forza, when it's sitting at 2 million less players? Double the sales while being nearly 25% less players doesn't really sound like good math on your part. For Horizon, not by a long shot, but that seems more likely for the lesser Motorsport segment.

I am not talking about Horizon. Moreover as some one said it is on gamepass as well so obviously it will have more numbers of players.

Last edited:
We know because PD told us.

The exact same caliber of source that we have for GT's numbers, the developer and publisher.

Odd that you blindly accept one and question the other.

Various GT titles have been given away free with Playstation consoles since the birth of the series, as have Forza titles with Xbox consoles.

Given that I strongly suspect that MW freebies are a lot less than GT or Forza freebies (given that it was on PS+ for one whole month), it would seem you are clutching at straws with this one.

Would love to know the sales numbers. Though pretty sure it is twice more than Forza, Pcars. Free updates are definitely helping. They are probably going to release a Spec2 or something so I will not be surprised if it reaches 7million sold.

We know that GT has sold over 80million since May 2018. Is there any official source of NFS sales ? Not sure about other NFS games but MW full game was a free download for PS Vita.

Sales = from wholesale to retailer. Loads of GTS still sitting on retailers shelves..

I am not talking about Horizon. Some one said it is on gamepass as well so obviously it will have more numbers of players.
Well you said Forza, so that covers quite a lot, so I made sure to cover every base. However, why wouldn't you talk about Horizon, other than the fact that you wouldn't be able to make the game look bad and take a jab at it if you actually were talking about it, right? Either way, the fact that I said 9 million users should have been obvious that I was talking about Horizon 3 which was not on the gamepass.

It should be obvious that Horizon 4 should have less sales, considering it's only 4 months old, while still reaching the numbers of GTS.

Sales = from wholesale to retailer. Loads of GTS still sitting on retailers shelves..
And?

Just that i think "sales" have limited relativity to player base.
Sales have little relativity at all, to anyone here, anyways. They do absolutely nothing for us other than to be used as some kind of 1-upper as seen by the likes of @GT6mebe when he constantly berates any other game that isn't GTS.

All games doing well, selling well, and being played a lot in this genre is a good thing for us.

^^
I am not talking about bundles. MW was free download so obviously many people like me would have downloaded it for vita.
So you only want to include the ways a game can be given away that support your own bias?

A game given away, is a game given away, regardless of the method used.

Can you post a link of nfs or EA site about NFS numbers like it is on PD website ?
https://www.ea.com/news/ea-need-for-speed-franchise-past-100-million-copies?isLocalized=true

Oh and you may like to know that unlike EA, PD have removed those numbers from their website (and that the NFS series hit that milestone back in 2009 which means they don;t include Most Wanted - the most popular title in the series to date and the one you took issue with because it was on PS+ for a month).

I am not talking about Horizon. Some one said it is on gamepass as well so obviously it will have more numbers of players.
Once again you only want to include the ways a game can be given away that support your own bias?

Seriously all titles in this discussion have been given away at various times and by various routes, to claim that its only an issue for titles that you want to minimize the impact of is confirmation bias of the highest order.

Why on earth is it so hard to believe that other titles may well have sold as well as or better than GT? Why is it so hard to believe that other titles may well have more players than PD titles? Exactly what is it that drives this kind of absurd need to have your favored title be the one that's 'done the most'?

- Driveclub is a fantastic game and deserves all the love. However, there is no doubt that the player count is skewed by the free plus version. (🤬 Sony for closing down EVO even so).

- GTSport's numbers are impressive considering this is an online focused E-Sports racer which doesn't even work without an online connection.

- 🤬 Need for Speed.

Last point makes no sense in the context of this thread, but it's a fact that needs to be stated every now and then. I never deleted a digital game that I paid full price for before in my life, but NFS's existence worsened my life.

- 🤬 Need for Speed.
Which makes a very interesting point when you see all the people bring up GT sales in order to bring down others - Something selling a lot doesn't automatically make it the best and only option. NFS is testament to that, even if they are actually improving. Albeit very slowely. In the very same vein, something that sold a little doesn't make it bad either. So I'm not sure why this bit of information is held so dear to some.

Well you said Forza, so that covers quite a lot, so I made sure to cover every base. However, why wouldn't you talk about Horizon, other than the fact that you wouldn't be able to make the game look bad and take a jab at it if you actually were talking about it, right? Either way, the fact that I said 9 million users should have been obvious that I was talking about Horizon 3 which was not on the gamepass.

It should be obvious that Horizon 4 should have less sales, considering it's only 4 months old, while still reaching the numbers of GTS.

And?

Nothing is going to affect me about the sales of either of these games. But Forza Motorsport has 7 games released and a decade old franchise with very good scores. Still Microsoft, T10 refuse to give official numbers and player count is also very less compared to GT. I am afraid that is very obvious.

As far as Horizon series is concerned. If the 9million players is using both PC and Xbox platforms then obviously it has advantage. GTS we know already has sold more than 3.3million in 2018 itself. I should think if the sales of Horizon are higher. Microsoft or playground games should have announced the official numbers :odd:

Nothing is going to affect me about the sales of either of these games. But Forza Motorsport has 7 games released and a decade old franchise with very good scores. Still Microsoft, T10 refuse to give official numbers and player count is also very less compared to GT. I am afraid that is very obvious.
Yeah, T10 they've never gave the sales data for anything, but again, why does that matter? What would having that number help you accomplish, what would it do for you?

Are you implying that they aren't releasing sales data because it's doing terrible? Maybe. Maybe not. If it was doing as bad as you, or anyone else are trying to make it seem though, then it likely wouldn't have lasted as long as it has, while it's still continuing to churn out games on the regular. The thing is we just don't know, and the other thing is, we shouldn't really care if the only point is to use it in an argument to feel better about yourselves and what you choose.

As far as Horizon series is concerned. If the 9million players is using both PC and Xbox platforms then obviously it has advantage. GTS we know already has sold more than 3.3million in 2018 itself. I should think if the sales of Horizon are higher. Microsoft or playground games should have announced the official numbers :odd:
No one's talking about an advantage. All we're talking about is the data presented. What exact advantage is there to be had in the first place? That's the kind of ridiculous mentality I don't fully understand.

However, where exactly do we have sales data on GTS, besides guesses and estimates?

Which makes a very interesting point when you see all the people bring up GT sales in order to bring down others - Something selling a lot doesn't automatically make it the best and only option. NFS is testament to that, even if they are actually improving. Albeit very slowely. In the very same vein, something that sold a little doesn't make it bad either. So I'm not sure why this bit of information is held so dear to some.

I bought NFS based on the fact that this was supposed to be the spiritual successor to underground. The customization was fun, the driving made me want to sell my PS4.

I bought NFS based on the fact that this was supposed to be the spiritual successor to underground. The customization was fun, the driving made me want to sell my PS4.
Oh I agree, 2015 was terrible in that regard. However, it still sold a lot regardless if the playerbase is anything to go by. It was a big name that had it's first installment into the next generation, that usually helps with initial sales, as you'll notice next iterations get lower, even if the game has improved.

Now gamstat have updated the numbers once again, and just to ensure you get thrown into another rage-post outburst lets take a look shall we.

:lol:
Using trophy data and then extrapolating is not accurate. Gamestat had GTS at 7.2 million in December 2018.

BLMV0sq.png

The point is we are comparing number of players on both games.

Do you know how comparisons work? They need to be fair and DC/FH4 having free counterparts on services make them inflate player counts.

Statistics...

7 million touched the game. Ok, could be.

10% of that ACTUALLY PLAY it. Like on a more regular basis.

Only 30 % of those are doing Sport Mode.

Only a quarter of these are competing in the FIA races.

My usual answer when some outsider sees my FIA rank and asks me „Of how many players?“ is: 50,000 worldwide. And THAT may be optimistic....

If there was an actual market of 7 million people playing GT Sport would drown in real money competitions from advertising partners...

Kudos apparently has 600k players competing every week.
And what you said applies to most games....

:lol:
Using trophy data and then extrapolating is not accurate. Gamestat had GTS at 7.2 million in December 2018.
You don't mean player numbers could fluctuate do you........

....I'm shocked. Shocked I tell you (aside from the fact that they are well within what any sane person would consider a reasonable margin of error)!

Seriously why on earth as you so absurdly invested in this pathological level of conformation bias is beyond me, but you seem to get a raging throb-on from it.

NFS has sold more than GT has as a series, get over it, its not going to kill you.

DC has more players than GTS has, get over it, its not going to kill you.

That these facts seem to injure you in some way, to the degree that you need to dig around and try anything you can to try and discredit them, is quite frankly concerning. It should in no way affect your enjoyment of the product you hold so dear, neither PD, nor Sony, nor Kaz will thanks you for it (but don't worry if I get to meet him again I will let him know of your crusade), so why not just accept reality and have a civil discussion about it, rather than making stuff up for days on end and then hiding for a month (and then repeating the same pattern over and over again).

Its really not healthy for you.

That these facts seem to injure you in some way, to the degree that you need to dig around and try anything you can to try and discredit them, is quite frankly concerning
Or flat out ignore any and all actual facts and points when brought attention to the fact that he's being incredibly misleading. Much like now.

rather than making stuff up for days on end and then hiding for a month (and then repeating the same pattern over and over again).
Was going to touch up on that! :lol: I mean, after saying so much ridiculous things, gotta let the heat die down a bit and avoid everyone!

I'll give him one thing though, he's kept up this dumb crusade since his initial joining though, that's for sure. At least he's consistent with his ridiculous inaccuracies.

Do you know how comparisons work? They need to be fair and DC/FH4 having free counterparts on services make them inflate player counts.
Why does that make it unfair? So you're saying a fair comparison is when you're very selective about what you compare from each game, in order to make one appear better/worse, rather than all the information combined from all parties?

I’ll never understand why some get agitated by GT Sport’s success. After a lacklustre start we should all be pleased PD have got themselves back on track with outstanding support. I’ve been really pleased with the updates we’ve got. Today Autopolis and the F1 GTR (which sounds great) are exactly what I want. Upcoming Super Formula cars are set to be fan favourites, both for the international audience, but importantly, for domestic Japanese GT fans too.

But to some, the old notion of being a died in the wool fan of a specific series still holds cache. Why, when there's a bevy of other racing games to play and enjoy, I don't know.
As a lifelong GT fan I bailed out 6 months after GT5’s release. I didn’t even play GT6 as I was already on PS4. I was slightly underwhelmed by GT Sport’s launch but it’s handling and livery creator kept me hooked. I’ve played all of the competition and think GT Sport is the superior package. FH4 is also an excellent title but more an NFS rival.

As stated above I’m very pleased with the turnaround PD have made with GT Sport. I now fully expect to get most of the cars & tracks I'm waiting for. Setting us up for a great GT7 with a traditional CaRPG added to class leading multiplayer.

I’ll check in for Rd.3 when PD announce 9m players.

I’ll never understand why some get agitated by GT Sport’s success
You wanna know the real kicker? No one actually is worried about the success of the franchise in this discussion, and no one has mentioned anything about it outside of the ones seem to be married to GT. Weird right?

Actually, you're not entirely wrong, because said people seem to be getting agitated about it's success in one way or another.

I don't think there's any stopping them. I can't even work out what point anyone is trying to make, or why.
The point has spanned many threads and has been living on for a long time because @GT6mebe has a rager for anything GT, and has gone around and berated any game(or anyone that likes said games) that has dared sell as well, or have as many players as GTS and has used half-truths at best, and completely lies at worst, to try to make a point. All this is, is a continuation to his literal years worth of a crusade - one that is chalk full of hypocrisy, goal post moving, and double standards. He'll eventually disappear from this thread and the forum in general for a month or so, and come back and do it all over again in a different thread. Rinse and repeat month after month, year after year.

We don't need MS really. Official sales trackers (NPD, Media Create, GFK) provide sales data for video games.

Kudosprime to get an idea. Its not an official source.
Screen-Shot-2019-03-05-at-2-43-36-PM.png

UK GFK sales (official)

Launch Week

Gran Turismo - 44,000
Gran Turismo 2 - 115,000
Gran Turismo 3 - 74,000
Gran Turismo 4 - 253,000
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue - 108,000
Gran Turismo 5 - 269,000
Gran Turismo 6 - 55,000
Gran Turismo Sport - 74, 000

Meanwhile Forza Motorsport has been declining ever since Forza 4

Forza 4 - 104,000
Forza 7 - <30,000
Forza H4 - approx 70k

Meanwhile Forza Motorsport has been declining ever since Forza 4
GT seemed to be in the same trend as well. We used to have actual data before, but with GTS, they stopped sharing that information.

One thing I'm wondering though, is what exactly is the point of showing launch week data as if it reflects anything literally a year and a half down the line?

NFS has sold more than GT has as a series, get over it, its not going to kill you.

DC has more players than GTS has, get over it, its not going to kill you.

I know NFS has a higher series total, that was never disputed.
DC only has more players due to the free PS+ version. Sales of DC were 2 million after one year :lol:

It seems rather the same detractors of GT simply can't pay attention to context, making poor arguments (counting PS+/GP versions, trophy data) just to counter.

Why does that make it unfair?

PS+ games/ GP games are free to users of those services and hence player counts are massively inflated. You'll see that with most PS+ games.

GT seemed to be in the same trend as well.

No. Basic math.

F4 > F5 > F6 > F7

GT5 > GT4 > GTS > GT6

PS+ games/ GP games are free to users of those services and hence player counts are massively inflated. You'll see that with most PS+ games.
But why does that make it unfair? And massively? I'm not so sure. Care to show a statistic? Your last statistic showed that nearly 75% of the playerbase from DC was because of the "free" game, which was obviously pulled straight from a rectal cavity.

No. Basic math.

F4 > F5 > F6 > F7

GT5 > GT4 > GTS > GT6
That's not even math.

Either way, I was talking about total sales. GT5 started the decline, GT6 continued it, however, we don't know anything regarding sales for GTS because they stopped sharing it all together. What was that you said about Devs who push player numbers instead of sales before? I'm wondering if you'll actually say what you said in the past, but I wouldn't doubt a hypocrite like you to acknowledge something like that :lol:

One interesting thing to note, is that Forza Motorsport started declining when the less serious, more open and friendly, Forza Horizon peaked it's head in. The funny thing is that the two companies often share a lot so, outside of player base, what are they actually losing on?

I know NFS has a higher series total, that was never disputed.
At last

DC only has more players due to the free PS+ version. Sales of DC were 2 million after one year :lol:
And?

Are they still not players, in exactly the same way those who died up GTS having got it free in a bundle, didn't even drive enough to get a deal reward abd then stopped playing are?

It seems rather the same detractors of GT simply can't pay attention to context, making poor arguments (counting PS+/GP versions, trophy data) just to counter.
Yep this detractor is sat in his rig watching a GTS replay while typing this.

IMG_20190305_203755.jpg

This is your issue, just because we don't white Knight GT at every drop doesn't mean we are haters to be destroyed.

And that stops them being players of the title in question how?

I never said they were unimpressive numbers, nor was I downplaying them. In fact I said quite the opposite. I’ll also point out that you have no idea what my preferred title is so that’s a rather baseless claim. My point about it being on gamepass is that they aren’t directly comparable. Whereas someone stating “oh I used multiple accounts on game x” can be applied to game y like we see in threads like these for ANY game. There’s a difference between downplaying something “dur players doesn’t mean sold I used five accounts” and explaining why numbers aren’t the whole picture while still acknowledging it’s done well.

I'll agree with you that it's virtually impossible to do a true apples-to-apples comparison, because Sony have no analogue to Game Pass, with GT Sport as an available title.

However, that lack of straight comparables cuts both ways. For starters, FH4 has been out, what, six months? GT Sport has been out for approximately three times as long. Secondly, the PS4 is operating from just over twice the installed base of the Xbox One, offering more potential buyers in the first place.

Ah, but then you have to try and coherently factor in Xbox's "Play Anywhere" program on PC, and who knows what that amounts to, in terms of added sales.

But then you also have to try and break down the whole "players" versus "buyers" thing, which I've seen some people here arguing over already.

And then you also have to factor in the discounted price GT Sport has been available at for over a year, versus FH4. And then factor in the FH4 console bundles (while still acknowledging that you can't claim a bundle purchased doesn't "count", because maybe that person bought the bundle because they wanted the game! Then again, maybe some of them didn't!)

If you're still reading at this point, and you aren't a fanboy, you're on the verge of falling asleep or getting a headache. The point is: Who cares?

Forza and GT are both pulling great sales numbers, and bully for both of them. Someone spin up the drink machine.

Back