GT Sport Has Received 103 Free Cars & 32 Tracks Since Release

I know of at least 2 more for the future. I saw Polyphony Digital at my work doing sound and car scans. :)

Knowing the choices PD makes, it's most likely the taxi from Total Recall.

IMG_3784.JPG

Sony Columbia CBS Tristar whatever movies. They surely have a lot of licensed movie cars they could lend to PD?

First up would be the James Bond stuff but that's gone to... Microsoft....

An Admin calling others dumb?

You might note that he was asking if people were done being dumb, not calling them dumb. But still, a spade is a spade. If someone is legitimately being dumb, like trying to justify how free DLC is not free, then pointing that out in as many words seems honest rather than spiteful or antagonistic. Sure, you might be able to use different words, but it'd just be lipstick on a pig.

Sometimes people say dumb things. Even on the internet.

You might note that he was asking if people were done being dumb, not calling them dumb. But still, a spade is a spade. If someone is legitimately being dumb, like trying to justify how free DLC is not free, then pointing that out in as many words seems honest rather than spiteful or antagonistic. Sure, you might be able to use different words, but it'd just be lipstick on a pig.

Sometimes people say dumb things. Even on the internet.
It has been about a decade since I've last seen you on here.

I think some people either don't know, or forgot what PD intended GTS to be. It's main focus was online and eSports, not a traditional offline like the past. I think they were pretty clear about it from the beginning, and if you were fortunate enough like myself, and had access to the early beta, you would have seen that first hand.

What PD didn't expect, I think, was how much, and how many people wanted that traditional offline experience, which is why GT League came about. This is something they came to realize quick in the beta, as more people were playing the limited arcade mode that was available, instead of playing Sport Mode, which is what they wanted to test. It became such an issue, that they turned off arcade, so the only option was Sport mode.

No doubt the car and track additions were planned from the get go, but I believe GT League was one of those, Oh crap! things they had to start working on, after seeing how many people are just not interested in online racing.

MMX
I think some people either don't know, or forgot what PD intended GTS to be. It's main focus was online and eSports, not a traditional offline like the past. I think they were pretty clear about it from the beginning, and if you were fortunate enough like myself, and had access to the early beta, you would have seen that first hand.

What PD didn't expect, I think, was how much, and how many people wanted that traditional offline experience, which is why GT League came about. This is something they came to realize quick in the beta, as more people were playing the limited arcade mode that was available, instead of playing Sport Mode, which is what they wanted to test. It became such an issue, that they turned off arcade, so the only option was Sport mode.

No doubt the car and track additions were planned from the get go, but I believe GT League was one of those, Oh crap! things they had to start working on, after seeing how many people are just not interested in online racing.
I think many people are interested in online racing but not in the way GT Sport online is now presented .

Being a 100% project cars guy due to its "sim" component, i bought GTSports 2 weeks ago because it was only $30cad, because brings me back to those amazing old times and it's a pretty nice entertainment option and to be honest, despite still feels arcade as heck it improved greatly and feels way more "real" than GT6.
Since it almost got to the frontier between arcade and sim, wouldn't now be the time for PD to take that last step ahead?
@svenvangent, basically it took the whole beginner and 3/4 of the amateur racing stages to get there mainly because you have to buy some cars for particular series and the VGT's alone cost 1M so, excluding the expenses you get there fast but including those unavoidable expenses, yeah, takes a while until you get that big round number on your top right corner.

You're a PCars guy yet call GT Sport arcade?? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Think whatever you want about the post-release content, whether they were originally intended to be included at launch, or if this was PD's apology because of the sparse content at release due to them taking their sweet time to do stuff in the game, what have you. Thing is, the only thing you need to pay for is the base game itself. This is a breath of fresh air against most AAA games out there that lock their additional content behind micro-DLCs and season passes. The support of this game post-launch by both the developers and the customer base is nothing short of incredible, and I hope it continues on next year. :gtpflag: If there were ever a few things I want added to the game that needed it badly since yesterday, it's that they bring back the daily login bonus and sell gift cars for credits, just to help alleviate some of the grind.

MMX

I think they underestimated the amount of casual gamers there are out there who would buy a Gran Turismo game without really researching it much. We're a bit of an oddity here on this board, we care about our games and will generally have a pretty good idea of what we're buying beforehand. I don't think that's true of the general gaming population. To them, a Gran Turismo game simply meant what it has meant for the last twenty years, ie. mostly single player, fancy graphics, and cars going around in circles.

The way to make sure people weren't confused would have been to drop the Gran Turismo name, or change it significantly enough to make it clear that it's a departure from the usual style (Forza Motorsport => Forza Horizon). Changing the number suffix to a word doesn't mean anything these days, there's any number of sequels for games, movies, and franchises where the naming of sequels is all sorts of messed up. If the third Xbox can be called the Xbox 1, then it's totally reasonable to assume that Gran Turismo Sport is just GT7.

I'm gonna get lots of replies about how people should read before purchasing stuff, and that's true, but at the same time that's not how humans work. Franchises are built around overriding common sense purchasing and lean into buying sight unseen based on the name and history. I'll say it unequivocally, GT Sport wouldn't have been as successful had it been called eSports Racing or something similarly descriptive. The GT brand has significant value, even after GT6.

You're a PCars guy yet call GT Sport arcade?? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

How is that even questionable, let alone something to laugh at? pCARS is solidly in the hardcore simulation camp, despite all it's bugs and wonkiness. GT and Forza Motorsport are right in the twilight zone between sim and arcade. (As long as you avoid the racing silly-soft tyres, Chaparral 2X/Tomahawk and other blatantly unrealistic stuff, then it's arcade all over.) They're the gateway drug that lets people transition from stuff like The Crew or Need for Speed over to stuff like AC and iRacing. The Crew and NfS will sacrifice any amount of realism to create the gameplay that they want; AC and iRacing will intentionally make the game less fun if it's a more accurate representation of reality. Both of these approaches could be considered to be poor (or amazing) depending on what you're looking for in a racing game.

The semi-sims (for want of a better word) attempt to straddle that line. GTS is as accurate a simulation as it can be* without totally alienating the average gamepad-toting player. But it does sacrifice realism where necessary for playability, and thus if people want to call it arcade then that seems sort of accurate. But I think it's a scale, and GTS is only a very little bit arcade and very mostly sim.
*Again, with the qualification that you avoid unrealistic tyres, cars and anything else obvious, like physics bending assists.

Except the dirt racing, which is pants-on-head, flaming-trombones-and-juggling-lollipops arcade madness. I wish they'd give it up already and spend the time working on more tarmac content which they're really much better at. The handful of games that have done dirt simulation well have spent a lot of time working on it, and I don't think there's value for Polyphony compared to adding more "main" game stuff. Unless they want to make a separate dirt/rally game entirely, which I would totally support. Do it with VR. It'd be amazing.

MMX

This entire post basically described my entire experience with GTS.

Played the closed beta, tried Sport mode and hated it, so I played a lot of Arcade mode until they turned it off. Didn’t bother with the closed beta afterwards.

Dopey me, still preordered GTS knowing what I was getting. No surprise I barely touched Sport mode (10 total races, zero in FIA), offline is my focus.

I admit preordering this game solely on the name without much thought. Easily could have waited a year and picked it up cheap and got more content for my money. One of my worst purchase decisions during my 30 year buying history.

But enough gloom, Merry Christmas!

This entire post basically described my entire experience with GTS.

Played the closed beta, tried Sport mode and hated it, so I played a lot of Arcade mode until they turned it off. Didn’t bother with the closed beta afterwards.

Dopey me, still preordered GTS knowing what I was getting. No surprise I barely touched Sport mode (10 total races, zero in FIA), offline is my focus.

I admit preordering this game solely on the name without much thought. Easily could have waited a year and picked it up cheap and got more content for my money. One of my worst purchase decisions during my 30 year buying history.

But enough gloom, Merry Christmas!
I thought I was the only one

Well I'm hoping as a christmas present they give us all 20 million credits. Because as nice all the new cars are, what isn't so nice is how unobtainable those 20 million credit cars are. That was never the case in other GT games. Not even GT PSP
It's called Playstation Store.

It's the usual PD logic. Give us something good but without the proper mechanics to be what it should be. We can buy cars with real money which would be great if it let you buy the cars you have to grind in-game to get. Without that it defeats the purpose of existing at all.

It's a shame they haven't got the in-game economy figured out. I think it's fine for a game to make you work for things, it makes them feel more meaningful. But the time investment needs to be appropriate. For most non-MMO games an hour of play seems to be about the right rate for a good "item"*, maybe a couple of hours for "best-in-game"*. GT actually had this pretty sorted in the early years, it's just GT5 and 6 with their 20 million credit cars that threw it off.
*What an item and best-in-game are depends on the game.

If they only had a single 20 million credit car, I could sort of get on board as it being the ultimate aspiration for people who really put in a lot of effort, but having multiples is just putting grind into the game to avoid people "finishing" it. Which I kind of don't get why they even bother, I suspect that people who would put in enough time to get all the content even with a really generous economy are probably so into the game that they don't stop just because they're out of cars to buy.

I sort of feel like that even GT5/6 did it wrong... sure you had a $50 mil. limit (I think GT5 only had $20?) but with a combo of login bonus and A and B spec. seasonals that got you $1 mil every 5 mins then it wasnt such a problem.

With 1,000+ cars it was a car collection game of sorts. And you exploited the bonus and ran the seasonal multiple times to get your cars.

Overall I think GT SPort is ok except for the $20 mil. limit and multiple $20 mil. cars and the lack of reasonable prize money options.

I'd honestly like someone to hit up Kaz on what he thinks about this system... there's no really legitimate way to get all the $20 mil. car without BMB etc.

I also feel that many people here are disingenuous in other threads where they say that your career so far is 400+ plus cars and $30 mil. plus and you can't afford a $20 mil. car???

Are you mental?

That's the attitude but the problem with that is that you had to have an attitude from DAY ONE that you were saving up for that ONE car and your entire effort since Oct 2017 was for that?

Who thinks like that? I certainly didnt. I didnt really have any idea cash was so hard to come across so I did spend a bit of money on various cars I didnt need. I know my mistake but this is a game, not saving up for your 1st home.

I personally did have a goal where I had like $7.5 mil. and I saved up to $18 mil. to get the Daytona and X2014 but I dont expect others to do the same as me.

I'm now down back to a few mil. but it doesnt matter as I dont really need any of those cars and I dont plan to buy much anyway since everything in my garage should be ok as long as they dont introduce too many weird events.

He paid to have the game in the first place, just like you and I. Why can't people seem to grasp this concept when it's brought up? Just because the DLC itself doesn't have a price, you kind of have to own to the game to use the DLC. Pretty sure the game isn't free to buy in the first place.

32 tracks though? How many are just the same track but hey drive it in the other direction?

Or, let's cut the track in 1/2 and call it a new track.

Exactly! SPA?

Last edited by a moderator:
You know another thing removed from the game that, IMO was also a terrible idea? No more "favourites" section in the garage. That's a big bummer as I'm the kind of guy that tends, more and more to stick to one or two cars per category.

I sort of feel like that even GT5/6 did it wrong... sure you had a $50 mil. limit (I think GT5 only had $20?) but with a combo of login bonus and A and B spec. seasonals that got you $1 mil every 5 mins then it wasnt such a problem.

With 1,000+ cars it was a car collection game of sorts. And you exploited the bonus and ran the seasonal multiple times to get your cars.

Overall I think GT SPort is ok except for the $20 mil. limit and multiple $20 mil. cars and the lack of reasonable prize money options.

I'd honestly like someone to hit up Kaz on what he thinks about this system... there's no really legitimate way to get all the $20 mil. car without BMB etc.

I also feel that many people here are disingenuous in other threads where they say that your career so far is 400+ plus cars and $30 mil. plus and you can't afford a $20 mil. car???

Are you mental?

That's the attitude but the problem with that is that you had to have an attitude from DAY ONE that you were saving up for that ONE car and your entire effort since Oct 2017 was for that?

Who thinks like that? I certainly didnt. I didnt really have any idea cash was so hard to come across so I did spend a bit of money on various cars I didnt need. I know my mistake but this is a game, not saving up for your 1st home.

I personally did have a goal where I had like $7.5 mil. and I saved up to $18 mil. to get the Daytona and X2014 but I dont expect others to do the same as me.

I'm now down back to a few mil. but it doesnt matter as I dont really need any of those cars and I dont plan to buy much anyway since everything in my garage should be ok as long as they dont introduce too many weird events.

Exactly. It took me almost a full year to finally save up 20 million for the 330 p4 and I have over 500 hours played. I had 290 hours in 2017 alone. If I had spent 0 on other cars, I would've got there sooner but seriously, who does that??? Especially when there are some races you need a specific car for plus other cars you're dying to drive.

And who wants to grind that same oval race all day? I did it a lot and never had fun. I like sport mode. Isn't that what the game was sold on? Yet Sport mode gets you the least amount of credits. I think Custom Arcade mode races get you more

The microtransactions helped a little but really, they should include the 20 million credit cars but I feel like PD was forced into MTX's and doesn't want to charge $10 for a virtual car. But if they really cared they would make the economy in GT Sport be such an insane grind so I don't know what the story is. All I know is its never been harder to buy all the best cars in a GT game.

If you're fortunate enough to have a car that qualifies for the Nostalgia races. You could run Le Sarthe just twice a day, which would be the daily workout, and providing you get the clean race bonus, you would have 20 million credits in 41 days.

I spend all my time in the livery editor, so I don't do a ton of racing, but make sure I get the daily taken care of. Just 15 minutes a day, then you can go do whatever you want. If you really want the high credits cars, you'll do what you need to get them, I've bought 3 of them.

Looking at my stats on the GT site, I've driven a little over 18k miles, but earned nearly 96 million credits. :eek:

Back