GT Sport Impressions

• Thread starter Corsa
  • 376 comments

Corsa

Premium
United States
United States
Well, it's here ladies and gentlemen.
What's your thoughts, initial impressions?

I'm on a regular PS4 using the T150.

FFB is ultra smooth, wheel weight has a balanced, very impressive feel. I've had no clipping.

The UI is seamless, very user friendly and load times are quick.
Everything looks very tidy and polished, the menu music is nice and relaxing.

My first race was N100, Miata.
It felt like an improvement over GT6, still very GT in the physics department.
That's not a bad thing, the Miata was very responsive with mild lift off oversteer and limited understeer. It still feels a bit like the car is "floating" on track.

We can adjust TC on the fly, very nice. We can adjust FOV in the options, but not on track, not so nice. But the adjustment is there thankfully.

And my god it is something to look at. I've not seen any jagged edges, screen tear, coughs or burps of any kind.

I'll not make any in depth physics or comparision comments here, I think at this point we know what GT is and what to expect.

My very early and initial impression is it's going to be fantastic as they continue to add content, it's an incredibly smooth and polished piece of software we have here, well done.

1 lap round that fictional dragon trail circuit in an MX5 and I'm sold. I feel at home.

Now it's 2 hours later, I've been playing it solid. Had an online race already which was really close. A bit funky how that happens but all kinds of things could be added later in DLC.

The FFB just... works.. on everything (G29). Although there is nothing happening for the fronts on FF cars or braking. If they put this in that it would go heavy with braking grip and light with lockups, it would be perfect. Easy to adjust. Settings make sense.

It's much simpler to handle the cars. Tried about 6 so far, Evo's MX5, CTR, 458, some GT3 Lexus thing I think. Almost immediately it's not about trying to keep the car on the track but about trying to go fast. Pick up and play like you'd wish for. Very much more arcade than sim, but in terms of facilitating "racing" it does and it keeps it close. This translates to fun instead of frustration.

No gfx issues, they look clean, crisp, detailed, high frame rate and wipe the floor with anything PC2 can flicker and grain at you. Zero ZERO graphical issues or annoyances to report.

GT Sport is completely and utterly in a different class to PC2 in every way that matters - gfx, sounds, playability, total lack of bugs or issues, proper 3D physics model. All it doesn't have is content or seriousness of racing championships/leagues etc.

It's blindingly obvious now why Bandai Namco wanted PC2 out first. Many "players" (than "sim racers") would be perfectly happy with this. I'd even go as far to say some people at BN have played GT Sport as well as PC2...

It's a different class of game for a different class of gamer, and that's fine. It is extremely well polished, refined, accessible, and even on expert settings (no/minimal assists) with a pad it just feels right. If I come off the track it's my fault and I can compensate next time such is the predictability of it. In PC (not sure about PC2) I found it unplayable with a pad. This is home turf for me, and absolutely worth the wait.

I've resisted the temptation to go ahead and buy my Golf VII GTI, probably leaving that until the full game as my first purchase. Sad huh?! lol Wouldn't mind the Vision GTI as well.

My initial impressions after 45 minutes and completing all the license tests before work.

1. I was really surprised the physics seem completely unchanged from GT5 which is the last GT I played.

Now I never found them bad, just a bit bland and missing some detail. It was great at the time of GT5 but for so many years later it should have been at least tweaked a bit. But after being gutted over the FM7 demo physics, maybe less is more and in this case, nothing at all.

2. In terms of graphics the game looks solid although the screen shots and videos I had seen before the demo unlocked looked much better but I admit I hadn't played enough to notice or pay true attention to them but I hadn't seen anything that blew me away yet. Usually alternate weather is where that's most noticable anyway which I haven't seen yet.

3. The nostalgia of this game is second to none. This is where the game shines the most IMO. Everything from the music to, the menu sounds to, the famous cursor in the menus that have been there since the first GT. They somehow always seem to incorporate these things while not having the game feel old.

My initial impressions after 45 minutes and completing all the license tests before work.

1. I was really surprised the physics seem completely unchanged from GT5 which is the last GT I played.

Now I never found them bad, just a bit bland and missing some detail. It was great at the time of GT5 but for so many years later it should have been at least tweaked a bit. But after being gutted over the FM7 demo physics, maybe less is more and in this case, nothing at all.

2. In terms of graphics the game looks solid although the screen shots and videos I had seen before the demo unlocked looked much better but I admit I hadn't played enough to notice or pay true attention to them but I hadn't seen anything that blew me away yet. Usually alternate weather is where that's most noticable anyway which I haven't seen yet.

3. The nostalgia of this game is second to none. This is where the game shines the most IMO. Everything from the music to, the menu sounds to, the famous cursor in the menus that have been there since the first GT. They somehow always seem to incorporate these things while not having the game feel old.

Very true indeed.
The challenges accompanied by leveling up, seeing your total miles driven and direct friend comparisons are what attracts me.
Menu music and cursor sounds as you mentioned just bring back that priceless nostalgia.

Very polished, a bit addictive, looks great and feels familiar. I'm on the fence still whether to buy it day 1. I'll get it, but I may wait a bit. They may not have completely overhauled the physics, but cars definitely have more of a weight to them.
I'm just unsure it'll be my go-to game on my PS4. PC2 is a little more raw and real feeling compared to GT. But I think I put them in different categories. I'm really missing the old beaters I loved driving. As anyone here who raced with me on GT6 knows, I'm a sucker for old and quirky. Hopefully we get them through DLC.

One of the most exciting things for me is the livery editor. I'll have to come back here once I've given that a proper try

Intuitive and beautiful menu, and presentation is top notch. Like it ways better than Forza 7. Also better than pCars2. And Kaz is the true master of replays: Watched it on a 4K HDR TV. Simply a bliss. Even the game graphics. I like them more than Forza 7.

Well, the sound is still not on par with the other games. A pity.

Online MP was better than i thought. The idea of races at fixed times is great idea!!

FFB seems bland to me, by far not as detailed as pCars 2 or AC - but not bad, good enough to have fun. Yet, i'm not sure if setting the volume/intensity of the FFB might still have a flaw: With my T330RS even FFB strength set to 1 (lowest) it's still to heavy for my taste. And the TH8a shifter isn't recognized. Physics? Too early for me to comment on that.

However, while being a fan of pCars2, i'm attempted to buy the game, since multiplayer might be a lot of fun. Btw.: the way the game respawns other cars back on track in MP works quite well. Though a pity that we can't check out VR yet in the demo.

All in all, i find the game promising.

From my view, it is just stunning!
Menu design, relaxing soundtracks, picturesque scapes photos, amazing detail in both cars and tracks, car sounds are great, livery editor and so much more that we didn't even get to see.
I have high expectations for GT Sport and those who want PC2, just go for it.
People who live with thoughts that GTS has not improved or it is like old GTs they are mistaken. Just give it a try.

I'm loving GTS! It is beautiful, relaxing & the car sounds are amazing. Also, loving the menu music & layout & all the information they've put into the game. There's so much detail!

The campaign is really good too! Very challenging, it's not one of those campaigns you could just wizz through, it's harder than anyone expected I think lol. Try Mission Stage 6 and see what I mean.

I was really surprised the physics seem completely unchanged from GT5 which is the last GT I played.

Really?

This surprises me a lot. Admittedly, I've not played GT5 in a long long time, but the physics don't feel like any other GT game to me. There are the similarities between this and older games, for sure, but my personal opinion is that it is very different in the underpinnings and how it behaves.

I have only played an hour, but I am itching to get home and have another, longer play with it.

Really?

This surprises me a lot. Admittedly, I've not played GT5 in a long long time, but the physics don't feel like any other GT game to me. There are the similarities between this and older games, for sure, but my personal opinion is that it is very different in the underpinnings and how it behaves.

I have only played an hour, but I am itching to get home and have another, longer play with it.

I'll admit it's been awhile for me as well but after having spent countless hours on the first US GT Academy it's one of those things I don't think I'll ever forget. When I got behind the wheel of this game it just felt instantly the same from what I remembered.

Maybe your memory is getting hazy because I distinctly remember trying GT6 for the first time and immediately the 370Z felt completely different to what it was in GT5. So much more roll and movement to take into consideration. I'm not a GT fanboy as I only got into racing around 7 years ago and GT5 was my first racing game, but damn the 'memberberries are strong with the GT fanbase lol

I'm surprised by the general level of quality.

Of course, you expect slick menus, nice graphics, soothing music, but the quality bar has been raised significantly since the beta. It makes me more excited about what's to come in the next 2-3yrs. It's such a great base to build a racing community covering racing, photomode, livery creator, social interactions.

Maybe your memory is getting hazy because I distinctly remember trying GT6 for the first time and immediately the 370Z felt completely different to what it was in GT5. So much more roll and movement to take into consideration. I'm not a GT fanboy as I only got into racing around 7 years ago and GT5 was my first racing game, but damn the 'memberberries are strong with the GT fanbase lol

It is a possibility. I definitely have to play some more. It's just the first impression. Most of the license tests are with the well balanced and lite MX-5 so the weight transfer and body roll won't be as pronounced. Looking forward to getting back home to check out some more.

I can see much more body roll and general chassis movement compared to GT6 in the replays.

Another thing that caught my eye, the Miata in front of me had their emergency flashers on racing.
Probably didn't even realize they were on, or how they turned on.
It's kind of silly but I found it quite funny.

Around 4 hours playing.
Easy ? Yes very easy to drive.
Easy to be fast ? Not really . Aids off ,the car s physics are really great . This is the best thing i have driven till now.The rear end feel on the MX5 for example is fantastic. Front wheel grip sensation is very well done too. Driving inputs Are very sensitive and responsive to put the car on the ideal line.
Is it fun ?? Yes , very fun , this is the best driving moment i have spent in my virtual life till now. I love it.
Am i an arcade or simcade player ? If it must be what some people call me so , yes i am. At least , i have a big smile when i play and i feel i can do this during years without any little moment of deception. I don t have PC2 but PC1 physics and FFB on PS4 are so weird. AC PS4 so short.... I gave up after a few monthes because i were bored .
First contact was really great. I am in love. The full game will be a must for sure.

I was thoroughly impressed. I will continue to hop between this and PC2 for quite a while I think. The presentation of this game is just incredible, and the level of detail shows that PD have really focussed everything they know and can do into this title.

Playing on a standard PS4 with just a HD tv and it is still a real feast for the eyes. Would love to see this in 4K and HDR...

The driving experience is fun, not as 'hardcore' as PC or Assetto Corsa but hardly 'arcade'. It feels 'Gran Turismo-y' but upgraded, as each title has done in the series so far, and personally I think the slightly easier driving experience will make for a better racing one particularly online, as then things aren't on such a knife edge and more people can be competitive whilst the super fast guys will still be super fast.

From my view, it is just stunning!
Menu design, relaxing soundtracks, picturesque scapes photos, amazing detail in both cars and tracks, car sounds are great, livery editor and so much more that we didn't even get to see.
I have high expectations for GT Sport and those who want PC2, just go for it.
People who live with thoughts that GTS has not improved or it is like old GTs they are mistaken. Just give it a try.

what is your psn id? i would like to add you. I'm from Greece too ;)

Back