GT Sport Mechanical Damage Discussion

• Thread starter vcx
  • 33 comments

vcx

Turkey
Turkey
VCX35
IMG_8721.JPG

As you can see that the new damage sign is changed especially the car sign after update 1.05

That means probably the mechanical damage will going to come into the game soon...

Even not only engine or brake systems can be damaged, the bumpers-body damage will come too.

In this topic I would like to discuss with you about mechanical and body damage system in GT Sport.

-What are your expectations?
-How the damage will effect our driving? etc...

Nice pick-up. 👍
And hopefully you are correct.

It was always disappointing, to me, that the option for mechanical damage was always shown for GT6 Quickmatch events, but it was never switched on.
Here's hoping they will make this option compulsory in some events this time.

For now I'll play the wait and see game. :)

Mechanical damage should be prioritized way over visual damage. Punctures (even flat spots), chassis/wheel misalignment, aerodynamic changes from body/floor damage.. To name few. :cheers: all of the above very easy to simulate by using extreme values of current car setup. (outside usual setup range)

Possibility of loosing a wheel makes drivers a bit more cautious.. :lol:

vcx
I guess nobody wants to share opinion about it untill the game comes

Exactly the opposite they should do for feedback before launch.

Last edited:
In more than 15 years of GT games they never achieved and give us a good damage model in mechanical and visual terms...
Not even some good collision physics..

So my expectations are sub-zero and Don't expect to see better damage models that those of the last two GT games.

Exactly the opposite osite they should do for feedback before launch
How can you have feedback on something that doesn't exist? People have been saying for years that they want it so that doesn't work.

I was on Brands yesterday and it was a bad accident coming down The Hill where an Evo slammed into the back of another Evo. I saw the rear end of the EVO being hit and it got really jack up. I was shocked how quick and how trunk and rear bumper got jacked up. The deformation in the chassis looked pretty good. I don't need crazy cosmetic damage even though the more the better, but I really want mechanical damage to be good

How can you have feedback on something that doesn't exist? People have been saying for years that they want it so that doesn't work.

Comments on damage models are feedback for the game as a whole. I wont believe you wouldn't figure that out yourself so lets try to stay positive. Giving feedback is all we can do, unless one of us can make a better game? The rest is up to PDI.

I think theres lots of things in this world that havent happened until after years of resilience.

Comments on damage models are feedback for the game as a whole. I wont believe you wouldn't figure that out yourself so lets try to stay positive. Giving feedback is all we can do, unless one of us can make a better game? The rest is up to PDI.

I think theres lots of things in this world that havent happened until after years of resilience.
You are on a thread about mechanical damage, that doesn't exist, and talking about feedback. Hard to give PD input on something that is not there Just stating the obvious.

After update 1.08 I have faced an issue about mechanical damage. When I was driving at nordschleife, I hit the barriers and that was huge impact then when I return to the track, my steering damaged. I couldn't drive my car easily because the front tire of my car always pull the car to the left.

vcx
After update 1.08 I have faced an issue about mechanical damage. When I was driving at nordschleife, I hit the barriers and that was huge impact then when I return to the track, my steering damaged. I couldn't drive my car easily because the front tire of my car always pull the car to the left.

That tends to happen when you crash.

As far as I can tell, the current system being used in the beta is similar to GT5/6's "light" mechanical damage system, and the damage wears off after 60 seconds or if you bring your car into the pits. So if you keep driving it'll eventually go away, but the best way to avoid it is to keep yourself from crashing in the first place.

In more than 15 years of GT games they never achieved and give us a good damage model in mechanical and visual terms...
Not even some good collision physics..

So my expectations are sub-zero and Don't expect to see better damage models that those of the last two GT games.

Good point to get expectations below sub-zero...

Finally "damage" came in GT Sport and sadly i see that it is still the same as the last 2 games of the series.

At least in GT5 the visual damage was a bit better than the one seen in GT6 and GTS because after a lot of crashes in GT5 you could at least lose a door form the car.

The options seems the same as GT6

Soft for "auto fix"
Severe for "fix only in box" (not in the beta)

Colision physics don't improve either.
For me quite sad to not see a real progress on this after quite some years now.

Finally "damage" came in GT Sport and sadly i see that it is still the same as the last 2 games of the series.

At least in GT5 the visual damage was a bit better than the one seen in GT6 and GTS because after a lot of crashes in GT5 you could at least lose a door form the car.

Soft for "auto fix"

Darn. That's too bad. Thankfully, nobody paid PD for a chance to test what's in the works.

Yeah, that's my only point.

If we look at the goodwood demo we also see the repair aerodynamic parts, so I guess the ultimate damage will be deeper, both at visual and practical level.

PS:
In the forum beta, date feedback even on mechanical damage, If they can may insert more variables such as transmission damage.
It would be nice if the from engine comes out of the smoke once it's damaged, and if it breaks a suspension or a wheel, you can see it also give them visually.

Last edited:
I like it when you hit the fence or the wall from a mistake and on the left hand front of the car or the right side front, my G29 wheel stays off center from the side you hit the wall or fence for a while, so it is good you get to know the car gets hurt than just driving of quickly again.

Last edited:
Dont care about this to be honest.... never crash my car. I see a problem when i get launced from the track and my car is broken and the race is over for me because somebody forget to brake.....

Dont care about this to be honest.... never crash my car. I see a problem when i get launced from the track and my car is broken and the race is over for me because somebody forget to brake.....

Even professional drivers make mistakes and have crashes in their career :sly:
If you put a good damage model, visual and mechanical in a simulation it gives a bit of that "fear factor" because you are aware if you crash at 200mph your race end there.

If damage also start to affect aero because little colisions with opponents and and start loosing time on track make that you want also be more careful towards your opponents.

If you close to much air duct for the brakes or do some settings on refregiration of the engine can suppose an weak braking or extreme fading and in case of engine provoke blowing up the engine in long races or to hot ambient temperature. (those 2 things for example are in Pcars)

So a good visual and mechanical damage system help to increase the simulation level and make possible more clean races thanks to that "fear factor" that makes you aware you can screw up your race easily.

Bad thing is that in most public lobbies the "kids" deactivate mechanical and visual damage in Pcars .... :banghead:
Should be always "on" in online,that would make things a bit better :D

vcx
That tends to happen when you crash.

That was brutal :lol:

Soft for "auto fix"

It's called a "Beta" for a reason.

I highly doubt you've never made a mistake and crashed on a sim.

Try driving faster. Given that we're not all hearing about you winning the F1 World Championship on the telly, I assume that you're not the world's greatest driver AND able to hold that speed while never crashing.

We can all never crash when we pootle around at 50. Try actually going as fast as you can for a change. Because if you're never crashing, you could go faster.

Perhaps he could stick with PCars2.
Apparently they have "finally fixed" crashes at lap 1 turn 1.

It also reminds me of the critics in the "Driving simulators shouldn't be difficult" thread.
Apparently none of these drivers have ever gone wide or had an incident either.

It's called a "Beta" for a reason.

Yes, but we all know PD:sly:

In 20 years he is always saying the same on damage.
Don't expect to see better damage than the shown in the beta.

Only the "Severe" option that obligate you to fix damage in box with the "new feature" that you can choose what to fix so you loose less time in box to add some "strategy" in pitstops..

Finally thats why it is a very basic sim.
To make it more accessible to everyone.

Yes, but we all know PD:sly:

In 20 years he is always saying the same on damage.
Don't expect to see better damage than the shown in the beta.

Only the "Severe" option that obligate you to fix damage in box with the "new feature" that you can choose what to fix so you loose less time in box to add some "strategy" in pitstops..

You have an issue with that?

Ah, sorry, that's my fault for being lazy and not highlighting where I was aiming with my question.

It would seem mechanical damage has indeed gone a step above what we've seen in GT.
Time will tell.

But if I'm honest, I don't like how some wish every game to be like every other game.

Let's allow games to take their own path, and accept that for what it is.
If it doesn't suit some personally, that's fine, perhaps other games will.
But if all games end up the same just with different names, we all lose.

I just want them to respect my time. I'm sure there are those that want severe damage to be permanent and race ending, but I'm perfectly fine with the mechanical damage going away after a pit stop. If they make animations that take up different amounts of time for different types of repairs, that'd be pretty neat and add some strategy element.

Last edited:
Back