• 755 comments
I've done a little bit of data mining using the API and was able to determine:

stats2 = Experience Points running total
stats4 = Credits on hand
stats5 = Mileage Points on hand
stats11 = Driver Rating Class
stats12 = Driver Rating Points
stats13 = Manner Points

I haven't been able to determine what the other stats# entries indicate but I'm trying to work on it.

I haven't been able to determine what the other stats# entries indicate but I'm trying to work on it.
I feel like you're redoing what i already done^^ From memory, you miss the not very usefull Photo and Livery daily count, if that helps. I found them because i took loads of screenshots of my in-game UI and was able to cross screens infos with my profile history.

Collecting the data runs very slowly and I only have about 36k imported:
I have several years of experience with PD's API (it works like that since GT5) and there are several reasons that i used polling and not collect every data, and you started to run into one. You're considering collecting every data on an ever growing and updating database. The more data you get, the more time you need, the less consistent they are. Not counting that sometime the API fails - hence need selective new query to fill the holes. Furthermore, being gentle with the API has other virtues. I didn't publish API details publicly in order to avoid as much as possible that someone hammer the server and (maybe) raise red flag at PD. I saw you expect PD to document the API, but the API is less accessible than before.
My two distinct polls (distinct profiles, distinct dates) gave consistent results (compared to each others) ;)

That for global stats. For more deep details on given profiles (sport mode, as existing official page already gives most relevant data), i set up a bookmarklet to export the history to a view with detail stats. You may have noticed that the data are somehow flattened in the URL after the hashtag, which a browser does not send to a server: this means that the data displayed are not recorded on K', K' just display them in a nicer, human-friendly view. The reason i did the this part that way is to avoid privacy issues.

Last edited:
i've just added a new Stat : Daily Active Players in Sport Mode
This goes from activity on the first day of the demo to December 11th.

Unlike other stats, this is a graphic with bars, but we can hover any bar to get details data (estimated number of players and day date)

FIA races aside, activity seems to stabilize, maybe even slightly growing, i guess that new players are compensating those who lose interest.

Unlike other stats, this is a graphic with bars, but we can hover any bar to get details data (estimated number of players and day date)

FIA races aside, activity seems to stabilize, maybe even slightly growing, i guess that new players are compensating those who lose interest.

This seems quite close to the number who have completed >20 sport races, so it adds weight to that stat being meaningful in determining regularly active players.

Are stats for those with >50 or even >100 sport races still beneath a confidence threshold?

@Milouse very interesting data as ever. I assume the first few bars before October 16 are player participation in the beta too. Interesting these are in the 70,000 to 100,000 range too so when Kaz said there were a million players tried the beta a lot of these did not do a Sports mode race confining themselves to limited campaign and three new tracks in arcade mode......the same pattern continues with the full release with some higher than 100k numbers as more players join .........just for clarity how is "daily active" defined here ?

Also interesting regardless of day its a fairly high number of active players in the full game - at least 70,000 participating every day.....will be interesting to see impact GT league has on this if any

This seems quite close to the number who have completed >20 sport races, so it adds weight to that stat being meaningful in determining regularly active players.
I'm not sure there's a link to be made here, unless i missed the data you're pointing to.

Are stats for those with >50 or even >100 sport races still beneath a confidence threshold?
|| *Sport Races finished* || *% of Players* ||
|| A. 0 Races || 66.38 ||
|| B. 1-10 Races || 22.93 ||
|| C. 11-20 Races || 3.81 ||
|| D. 21-50 Races || 4.04 ||
|| E. 51-100 Races || 1.71 ||
|| F. More than 100 Races || 1.12 ||
On 2017-12-12

I'm not sure there's a link to be made here, unless i missed the data you're pointing to.

For sure it's an indirect connection, but I've been using the '20 races finished' as a rough (if optimistic) estimate of how many people are regularly doing Sport races - assuming that if they did that many, they would quite likely go on to do more. With nearly 3% above 50 now, that seems to be reasonably true. So from that I might say most of the 150,500, say 130,000, are regular racers.

The new 'daily active' stats will on average probably be a bit low for an estimate 'number of regular racers', since they won't all play every day, so if the average is a little under 100,000 then 130,000 regular racers could still be a reasonable estimate.

Thus, with a few assumptions, the two match :)

Thanks as always for the stats, they are certainly interesting :cheers:

when Kaz said there were a million players tried the beta a lot of these did not do a Sports mode race confining themselves to limited campaign and three new tracks in arcade mode
Yes. This gives me the occasion to point something often missed: if PSN Plus member accounts ratio against Active PSN Users is still around 33% like it was a year ago, this could give a good reason for many players to not play Sport Mode. I've been myself surprised to be blocked when entering Sport Mode the first time (my PSN Plus account haven't been renewed for several years) as the game didn't prevent me to enter online races during the close beta.

When were the free Sport Modes days? (or Free PSN Plus, don't remember)
Can we spot that period on the bar graph?

just for clarity how is "daily active" defined here ?
I've just made some test to be sure: not entering a Sport Mode race doesn't trigger the daily refresh of DR/SR on server, so you have to actually race to be counted. The data i used are the same shown by the Sport History function of the Bookmarklet.

The new 'daily active' stats will on average probably be a bit low for an estimate 'number of regular racers', since they won't all play every day, so if the average is a little under 100,000 then 130,000 regular racers could still be a reasonable estimate.
That depends of how we defined "regular racer". Someone who play 4 days a week? 2? 5?

I've been using the '20 races finished' as a rough (if optimistic) estimate
The funny detail is that following your previous question, i spotted an error in my website code: the count of players under 21 races were actually a count under 26 races. :P (it has been corrected immediately)

That depends of how we defined "regular racer". Someone who play 4 days a week? 2? 5?

Ha, well I suppose even one day a week could be 'regular', but it appears that an average for active players might be about 4 (150k / 90k). Really I was looking to guess at those who were continuing to do sport races, but it was only part of an estimation of how large the pool for matchmaking might be at any time. The new 'daily active' stats are much more directly useful for that purpose, and shows my previous guesses to be probably too low.

The funny detail is that following your previous question, i spotted an error in my website code: the count of players under 21 races were actually a count under 26 races. :P (it has been corrected immediately)

Ah, was that the change in 'More than 20 Races' from something like 126k to 150k? Going on 126k lowered my guesses... I guess :)

Yes. This gives me the occasion to point something often missed: if PSN Plus member accounts ratio against Active PSN Users is still around 33% like it was a year ago, this could give a good reason for many players to not play Sport Mode. I've been myself surprised to be blocked when entering Sport Mode the first time (my PSN Plus account haven't been renewed for several years) as the game didn't prevent me to enter online races during the close beta.

When were the free Sport Modes days? (or Free PSN Plus, don't remember)
Can we spot that period on the bar graph?

According to our own GT Planet editorial team the period was from Wednesday November 15 to Monday November 20 inclusive.

https://www.gtplanet.net/play-online-free-weeks-playstation-plus-open-multiplayer-event/

Interesting it seems to have had little effect too......

Thats a very good point about PSN take up which I'd quite forgotten. We know Sony saw GTS as a way to grow PSN take up as part of the 'harvest' strategy too.....

PSN take up was 26.4 mil of 70+ mil active players as at March 2017 or around 37% at most which puts in context the 34% or so who have tried Sport mode so far.....

One question I've had is can you get any data on how many people have played in lobbies but not Sport mode. I think its part of the gap between the 54% who have watched the Videos as lobby access needed the videos to be watched too.....

Ha, well I suppose even one day a week could be 'regular', but it appears that an average for active players might be about 4 (150k / 90k). Really I was looking to guess at those who were continuing to do sport races, but it was only part of an estimation of how large the pool for matchmaking might be at any time.
You'll be able to confront your guess with reality: i added a Weekly Stat that counts players that played at least once in a Sport Mode race, this for every week.
This is not exactly regular players though, as this counts distinct players with no regards at if it's their first week of play or their fifth.

One question I've had is can you get any data on how many people have played in lobbies but not Sport mode. I think its part of the gap between the 54% who have watched the Videos as lobby access needed the videos to be watched too.....
I don't think but i have a doubt. Can someone give me a profile of a player who played in free lobby?

Last edited:
You'll be able to confront your guess with reality: i added a Weekly Stat that counts players that played at least once in a Sport Mode race, this for every week.
This is not exactly regular players though, as this counts distinct players with no regards at if it's their first week of play or their fifth.

That's another interesting one! The daily one is better for estimating the pool for matchmaking though. I wonder, is it possible to do one for number of sport races finished by a player per day, in some form? Then the average (of those that played at least one race) could be part of the popup on the daily stats graph, and I could make a much more accurate guess at the size of the pool.

2017-12-11: 84500
average races: 5.5

Hi,
i worked today on a new alternative for the profile page.
Unlike the one that use the bookmarklet, it only requires the profile id (for now) and can be refreshed at will (it will always be up to date :) ). Here's an example:
http://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?profile=1122349
To try it with an other profile, just replace the number at the end of the url (it appears in the url of any official profile)

There's a lot more to do on this, like integration of more historic data, precision of account state (demo only or final), but i need feedback, as if this doesn't interest many players, i won't put too much more time in it.

upload_2017-12-22_1-1-53.png

Hello Milouse thanks for that link appreciate it. But sadly I can not use it. I have no Computer just an IPhone and a Tablet. I tried various Browsers on both Systems but that Bookmarklet just can’t be dragged‘n dropped. Maybe you have a clue how to get it to work. Thanks in forward. Btw also impressive work there. Tat time you must have put into this, respect.:cheers:
The above solution should work for you now ;)

I wonder, is it possible to do one for number of sport races finished by a player per day
2017-12-11: 84500
average races: 5.5
The game doesn't seems to record the share with the outside world the race count history, so that couldn't be done.

Hi,
Unlike the one that use the bookmarklet, it only requires the profile id (for now) and can be refreshed at will (it will always be up to date :) ). Here's an example:
To try it with an other profile, just replace the number at the end of the url (it appears in the url of any official profile)

There's a lot more to do on this, like integration of more historic data, precision of account state (demo only or final), but i need feedback, as if this doesn't interest many players, i won't put too much more time in it.

View attachment 700902

The game doesn't seems to record the share with the outside world the race count history, so that couldn't be done.
Thank you so much Milouse, it works. Finally there’s a way to check some stats. Very well done. I thought I need to buy PC just for this, but you really found a solution, very smart. You mentioned other stats could also be implemented. Which ones? Like podium finishes by place maybe?

I made a pause on Stats side to update de cars database with the new 1.09 - 1.10 cars:
Ford F-150 SVT RAPTOR 2011 - 55,000 Cr
Chevrolet CORVETTE STINGRAY CONVERTIBLE 1969 - 50,000 Cr
KTM X-BOW R 2012 - 100,000 Cr
Lamborghini COUNTACH LP400 1974 - 1,800,000 Cr
Ferrari F40 1992 - 450,000 Cr
Ferrari ENZO FERRARI 2002 - 1,000,000 Cr
Volkswagen SAMBABUS TYP2 1962 - 75,000 Cr
Mazda RX-7 SPIRIT R TYPE A 2002 - 40,000 Cr
Nissan SKYLINE GT-R V-SPEC II 1994 - 52,900 Cr
Nissan SKYLINE GT-R V-SPEC II NUR 2002 - 61,000 Cr
Suzuki SWIFT SPORT 2007 - 16,300 Cr
Gran Turismo CHRIS HOLSTROM CONCEPTS 1967 CHEVY NOVA - 300,000 Cr
List generated on kudosprime.com (edit)

Still no cars in some of the Group the data mining shows:
GRA
GR2
GR1

Edit: i set the Chevy Nova as a Gran Turismo branded car since this changes depending of game context.

Unbelievable work Milouse, youre doing so many guys a favour with it!

if it would be done quickly, can you maybe update the distribution of sport mode players by DR?

Its Message #30 and from December 02 i think

thanks in advance!

if it would be done quickly, can you maybe update the distribution of sport mode players by DR?

Its Message #30 and from December 02 i think
From my (unpublished) December 26th poll:
Sport Mode players distribution by Driving Rank:
E 53%
D 35.2%
C 7.3%
B 4.2%
A 0.2%
S < 0.1% (over +19,000 distinct profiles randomly polled this month, not even one returned a S rank)

Edit: data corrected, previous were older.

Last edited:
Thanks very much again!

This surprises me a little, i would have thought before that the C/B levels would have the biggest part. But one the other hand it explains why there are sometimes the same guys race after race (I'm a low A-Driver)

Thanks very much again!

This surprises me a little, i would have thought before that the C/B levels would have the biggest part. But one the other hand it explains why there are sometimes the same guys race after race (I'm a low A-Driver)

It's of players that have completed at least 1 sport race, and would look different if that was higher. At least 5 races and there would be (almost?) no DR=E since the game automatically promotes you. At least 20 races would be good, but since only 7% of all players have done that many this breakdown might not be very accurate even when polling 19000+ profiles. And then filtering on those who have raced 'recently' (2 weeks?) would cut the number down again.

In the small hours when the matchmaking doesn't have a large pool of players, it does seem as though B/C are the most common, and I've seen as many Ds as As in quite a few races. Of course it's complicated by that fact that new players have to move up through D, so while there are significant numbers of new players there will be an increased number of Ds. Flip side is that anyone who might remain a D is more likely to give up.

That's what i get for 5 or more races (770profiles out of 6108 profiles):
E 0.6%
D 74.4%
C 15.5%
B 9%
A 0.5%
S ?

Thanks, again! :bowdown:

Is that DR done by letter (rather than from the number)? If so, more people have managed to tank their SR to E in 5 races or less, than have got to DR A!!

The amount of players with at least 5 races is less then with 1 race. In this smaller group almost nobobody is E anymore (cause i think everybody moves automaticly to D after few races), but the absolute amount of the other Levels is the same. But in percent they have to be more, cause we look to a smaller group. Thats why A is 0.5% and not 0.2% anymore

Hi,

View attachment 700902

For looking at the stats given with that url changed to my number, in order for it to show does it need to be viewed on a PC? Using my phone with Google Chrome nothing is showing as of now. All of the other features are working fine.
Screenshot_2017-12-31-16-35-13.jpg

Thanks.

Thanks, again! :bowdown:

Is that DR done by letter (rather than from the number)? If so, more people have managed to tank their SR to E in 5 races or less, than have got to DR A!!

The rank in the stat is the in-game rank, not calculated from DR points. But a .1 difference is insignificant here.

For looking at the stats given with that url changed to my number, in order for it to show does it need to be viewed on a PC? Using my phone with Google Chrome nothing is showing as of now. All of the other features are working fine.
It should work the same, i think there is (were?) a problem with the profile itself. Do you have a link or its id number?

The rank in the stat is the in-game rank, not calculated from DR points. But a .1 difference is insignificant here.

Thanks. I know to be technically accurate I should've said 'about the same', but it didn't have the same tabloid headline feel to it :) I was actually a bit surprised to see it was significant by itself, even though I knew it was possible, which is why I wanted to check it was done by rank.

Back