• Thread starter GumballCGT
  • 32 comments

GumballCGT

Premium
United States
Kentucky
GumballCGT
Hey everyone!

I thought I'd start putting together some weekly reference lap videos for Nations, Manufacturer, and Daily Races that everyone can study (or criticize). The idea behind this is to give everyone an idea of what the pace and driver inputs looks like in real time with steering, throttle, and braking as replays typically don't show the whole picture. I will continue to build on this thread and update weekly reference laps as they come with the goal of having all reference laps be a top 100 time on the World leader board. As well, I'd appreciate any feedback and/or ideas you'd like to see in future reference laps.

Thanks!

Current Week Reference Laps

It's been awhile but I'm starting to get back to it! FIA Nations race reference lap for this coming Saturday.

April 20th | FIA Nations Race

- FIA Nations: Autopolis | Gr.2 | Honda Raybrig NSX | 1:32.953

2019 Reference Laps

February 18th - 24th | Daily Races A, B, C

- Daily Race A: Lago Maggiore Center | Gr.4 | VW Scirocco | 47:141
- Daily Race B: Dragon Trail | Gr.4 | Bugatti Veyron | 1:44.947
- Daily Race C: Suzuka | Gr.3 | Audi R8 GT3 | 1:58.914

February 11th - 17th | Daily Races A, B, C
- Daily Race A: Kyoto Driving Park / N100 / Honda Beat
- Daily Race B: Lago Maggiore / Gr.3 / Lamborghini Huracan GT3
- Daily Race C: Nurburgring GP / Gr.4 / Lamborghini Huracan Gr.4

February 4th - 10th | Daily Races A, B, C
- Daily Race A: Red Bull Ring Short / TVR Tuscan Speed 6 '00
- Daily Race B: Fuji International Speedway (Short) / Gr.4 / Lexus RCF
- Daily Race C: Le Mans / LMP1 / Audi R18 '16

FIA
For February 9th | Nations and Manufacturer Cup
- Nations: Willow Springs / Gr.4 / Alfa Romeo 4C
- Manufacturer: Monza / Gr.3 / Mclaren 650S GT3

January 28th - February 3rd | Daily Races A, B, C
- Daily Race A: Willow Springs Big Willow / Shelby GT350 '65
- Daily Race B: Nurburgring GP / Porsche 911 RSR Gr.3
- Daily Race C: Suzuka / Honda (Acura) Integra Type R

January 21st-27th | Daily Races A, B, C
- Daily Race A: Tokyo Expressway / Nissan Fairlady Z Version S (Z33) '07
- Daily Race B: Nurburgring Nordschleife / Porsche 911 GT3 (997) '09
- Daily Race C: Bathurst / Gr.3 / Nissan GTR GT3

January 14th-20th | Daily Races A, B, C

- Daily Race A: Lago Maggiore / Fiat 500 '68
- Daily Race B: Dragon Trail Gardens / Gr.4 / Alfa Romeo 4C
- Daily Race C: Tsukuba / Toyota GT86

Last edited:
Thanks for making these. You can already watch the replays in game but having the wheel cam is helpful. About the only feedback I have is make the wheel cam bigger and if possible mount the camera on the seat above your head so we can see how much you're turning more accurately 👍

Hey everyone!

I thought I'd start putting together some weekly reference lap videos for Nations, Manufacturer, and Daily Races that everyone can study (or criticize). The idea behind this is to give everyone an idea of what the pace and driver inputs looks like in real time with steering, throttle, and braking as replays typically don't show the whole picture. I will continue to build on this thread and update weekly reference laps as they come with the goal of having all reference laps be a top 100 time on the World leader board. As well, I'd appreciate any feedback and/or ideas you'd like to see in future reference laps.

Thanks!

2019 Reference Laps

January 14th-20th - Daily Races A, B, C

- Daily Race A: Lago Maggiore / Fiat 500 '68
- Daily Race B: Dragon Trail Gardens / Gr.4 / Alfa Romeo 4C
- Daily Race C: Tsukuba / Toyota GT86

Great Post and very helpful!! Any chance you could point out what brake balance you are using for each car?

Thanks for making these. You can already watch the replays in game but having the wheel cam is helpful. About the only feedback I have is make the wheel cam bigger and if possible mount the camera on the seat above your head so we can see how much you're turning more accurately 👍

Noted! I was trying to figure out how to get a POV type view for this or at least a better camera angle for the steering wheel. Problem is your arms get in the way driving which makes it difficult. I'll have to try and sort a way to mount a camera above my head and see if that gets the job done.

Great Post and very helpful!! Any chance you could point out what brake balance you are using for each car?

- Daily Race A: 2 rear
- Daily Race B: 2 front
- Daily Race C: 4 rear

I use Brake Balance -3 (i.e. front) for Race A. Much much better balance...
The fact that I am quite an average driver and closing in on 1.07.000 should support that

Hey Nick, thanks for doing the videos. Its helped me drop 3 tenths in race C and almost a second in race b. Brake balance seems near perfect for me.

A suggestion as requested, would be great to hear what you are thinking as you are attacking the track as far as what you are trying to do with the car. Where you are braking, trying to place the car to better use angles, loading tires, turning in...all that stuff.

To me it always seems the top guys have a great grasp of these things. Stuff an average driver like me struggles with.

With downshifting using the h-shifter, is there any advantage to going through the gears sequentially instead of going down several at once? Like going from 4th to 2nd for example, why go 4-3-2 and not just directly 4-2? I didn't think GTS models drivetrain lockup enough to destabilise the car by going straight to 2nd.

With downshifting using the h-shifter, is there any advantage to going through the gears sequentially instead of going down several at once? Like going from 4th to 2nd for example, why go 4-3-2 and not just directly 4-2? I didn't think GTS models drivetrain lockup enough to destabilise the car by going straight to 2nd.

There's not really a huge difference between the two, at least in GT. But I guess I sort of do it out of habit from driving the real cars. The only time it will really lock up in GT will be in the really slow stuff but it shouldn't really hurt you in game. I know if you're in iRacing or Assetto it really comes into effect if you skip gears quickly but wouldn't worry about it in GT, especially if it's quicker/easier for you.

There's not really a huge difference between the two, at least in GT. But I guess I sort of do it out of habit from driving the real cars. The only time it will really lock up in GT will be in the really slow stuff but it shouldn't really hurt you in game. I know if you're in iRacing or Assetto it really comes into effect if you skip gears quickly but wouldn't worry about it in GT, especially if it's quicker/easier for you.

Thanks for the reply. I do usually go through the gears properly in AC but with GT's clutch being completely on/off I like to minimise the time spent changing gears as little as possible. Even with that I still go into neutral too many times to be comfortable and competitive with the h-shifter.

I respect those who can race equally fast and consistent with the h-shifter as they are with paddles, but sometimes I wish PD would make the playing field equal and just fit sequential boxes to all Daily races N cars.

any chance you can drive in metric. this whole mph thing..... ;)

Absolute speed readings aren't really important in hotlapping ;) Maybe apex speeds but if you're taking the right lines and braking points then the speed will come naturally in my opinion.

Absolute speed readings aren't really important in hotlapping ;) Maybe apex speeds but if you're taking the right lines and braking points then the speed will come naturally in my opinion.

I don't disagree. Seeing the apex speeds is handy but not critical. :)

any chance you can drive in metric. this whole mph thing..... ;)

Unfortunately us American's decided to go without metric (metric is much better) so MPH is what you'll have to get because it's what I know best. Although when racing real cars in Europe I got used to metric which was nice.

Cool videos. Would be awesome to have some 'chase' views too as that's how I prefer to play. Just like to see what the car is doing and where you are with the lines and such.

I find first person or dashcam too much for my eyes. Though can respect most prefer the view you use too.

@GumballCGT, as per the previous week, would it be possible for you to list the brake balance used in each combo going forwards? Many thanks as usual for doing these 👍

Cool videos. Would be awesome to have some 'chase' views too as that's how I prefer to play. Just like to see what the car is doing and where you are with the lines and such.

I find first person or dashcam too much for my eyes. Though can respect most prefer the view you use too.

Most of the fast drivers use bumper or hood view. At that skill level the position of the car's body should already be ingrained in your mind. Chase cam is adds another layer of separation from what you're doing in the car, and obstructs the view directly ahead of you which is a huge disadvantage in close dogfighting. Maybe use this as motivation to finally make the switch? ;)

Thank you for this. I can see where I'm doing it wrong.

Question, I noticed that you downshift to 1st gear on 2-3 turns, is it necessary for the RSR? Have you noticed significant differences for keeping it on 2nd gear for those turns?

@GumballCGT, as per the previous week, would it be possible for you to list the brake balance used in each combo going forwards? Many thanks as usual for doing these 👍

Most of the fast drivers use bumper or hood view. At that skill level the position of the car's body should already be ingrained in your mind. Chase cam is adds another layer of separation from what you're doing in the car, and obstructs the view directly ahead of you which is a huge disadvantage in close dogfighting. Maybe use this as motivation to finally make the switch? ;)
Yeah, I get that it's a better view. But after a few minutes watching or using it, I get headaches and blurred vision. Poor eyesight unfortunately.

Worth an ask though, no worries.

Thank you for this. I can see where I'm doing it wrong.

Question, I noticed that you downshift to 1st gear on 2-3 turns, is it necessary for the RSR? Have you noticed significant differences for keeping it on 2nd gear for those turns?

Apologies for the late response here, but I do find that getting the RSR in the lowest gear possible for whatever the corner does seem to be an advantage. You can use the compression braking to slow the car and keep weight on the front end for more front end grip. I've found if you leave it a gear higher it has been much more likely to understeer and push wide where as keeping it the lowest gear possible allows me to typically be more accurate in the corners with the Porsche.

Maybe if @GumballCGT has the replays saved in game, he could share them in game and link them here for anyone who wants to view them in a different camera angle.

I can definitely try to do this in the future! If you follow "GumballCGT" in GT Sport I will start uploading these replays in the GT feed so they are easy to find.

Thanks for sharing this. Any chance of some commentary where you also describe what you’re doing, what you’re looking for, etc.?

I try to do these from a point of being a quick and easy reference lap to follow without having to jump on GT Sport, download the replay, watch the delayed inputs on the screen, etc. but it's something I've considered. Are you looking for quick reference points and techniques, or more of an in-depth turn by turn, braking points, gear selection, reference points type of commentary and break down?

I can definitely try to do this in the future! If you follow "GumballCGT" in GT Sport I will start uploading these replays in the GT feed so they are easy to find.

I try to do these from a point of being a quick and easy reference lap to follow without having to jump on GT Sport, download the replay, watch the delayed inputs on the screen, etc. but it's something I've considered. Are you looking for quick reference points and techniques, or more of an in-depth turn by turn, braking points, gear selection, reference points type of commentary and break down?
I’m not sure tbh. Sometimes when I’m trying to improve my own time, I start talking to myself saying things like, “line up, break at 100, turn in now, hold throttle, wait til your straight, full power”. It probably sounds crazy, but it’s like I’m trying to coach myself. I guess I picked it up from the few circuit driving experiences I’ve done where the co-driver has tended to coach like that.

I appreciate that this is something that would require a lot more effort on your part however

For February 9th | Nations and Manufacturer Cup
- Nations: Willow Springs / Gr.4 / Alfa Romeo 4C
- Manufacturer: Monza / Gr.3 / Mclaren 650S GT3

Back