GT Sport vs GT7 Graphics ~ How Is Nobody Talking about this?

• Thread starter Miroku
  • 96 comments
Yeah, they put very little effort into this game... Look at the buildings in Tokyo if you really want a laugh! I think the PS2 games DID look better than the textures at Tokyo, lol.
Physics are broken, they used low-poly textures for everything but the cars, they courted no one of import in the automotive industry to license content (FIA, Super GT, hell even Indy Car would have been something...) and now the updates have slowed with the offline still half finished. With each passing day I'm more and more convinced that GT7 is abandonware.
BlindSillyGuernseycow-mobile.jpg

Last edited:
Definition of abandonware

There is an official update coming next month to add VR.
So you are wrong.
Lol, so it's technically not abandonware... It's just they've never finished the game, do next to nothing to support it (adding support for VR, that'll bring in players by the dozens! lol) and the players are gone. So it's only abandonware in SPIRIT. My sincerest apologies 🤡 It's a goddamned ghost town in this game and everyone can see it...

I just scrolled to the last page of the online TT. With 2 days left only 121k and change have participated... in the best paying content in the game, where there is zero interaction with other players, meaning even the meekest of offline players are incentivized to participate.

How many million copies did GT7 sell? 4? 6? We know it's somewhere in that ball park. Yet there are only 120k participating in the best-paying event the game has to offer, world-wide. I also checked during the anniversary content over the holidays when the largest number of people are likely to participate. I think there was 130k when I checked at that point...

So something like 1 out of 35 (and that's a mean estimate, not a hyperbolic one) people that bought the game run the TT, in a game where people are starved for credits... That's a dead game. Spin it however you want, but this is pathetic, especially since it's one of the very few AAA PS5 exclusives.

Last edited:
So something like 1 out of 35 (and that's a mean estimate, not a hyperbolic one) people that bought the game run the TT, in a game where people are starved for credits... That's a dead game. Spin it however you want, but this is pathetic, especially since it's one of the very few AAA PS5 exclusives.
LOL I kinda get where you're coming from. Kaz/PD definitely misread the room and the game MIGHT just be getting to the point it should have been at launch. I am curious to know how much revenue they were looking to generate from people using real money to circumvent the malicious in-game currency payouts and if the game is underperforming in that regard.

However, as it pertains to the thread, I do believe that they carried over the previous game engine (with some moderate improvements) because it would allow them to run it in VR without a huge decrease in graphical fidelity. Which makes me wonder how so many other components of the game were missing/flawed/broken at launch lol.

LOL I kinda get where you're coming from. Kaz/PD definitely misread the room and the game MIGHT just be getting to the point it should have been at launch. I am curious to know how much revenue they were looking to generate from people using real money to circumvent the malicious in-game currency payouts and if the game is underperforming in that regard.

However, as it pertains to the thread, I do believe that they carried over the previous game engine (with some moderate improvements) because it would allow them to run it in VR without a huge decrease in graphical fidelity. Which makes me wonder how so many other components of the game were missing/flawed/broken at launch lol.
Exactly! What the hell have they been doing for the last 5 years?! I can't remember the user's name, but there's a guy on here that was hypothesizing that PD only actually has 10-20 devs, tops. If true that would explain a LOT, but why wouldn't they just say that their team is smaller than a lot of indie studios if that were the case? And if that's not true what have the ~300 employees (as per Wikipedia... no idea how accurate that is, but if true 100-150 actual devs) been doing since GT Sport stopped receiving support in ~2019? Not working on GT7, that's for sure... So they're either a ghost studio or they've left GT7 with a skeleton crew of a few devs and the rest have moved on to GT8. Not sure what other option is on the table as I've not heard of mass layoffs.

As far as the macro-transactions, it's quite baffling, huh. I wonder if they really thought people were going to spend $200 (plus tax) on a single 20mil cred car? If it was a mobile game with anime girls of questionable age in bikini's, sure, I could see it working. But a console exclusive racer/driving sim?! Whatever their expectations, it's pretty clear they came up woefully short of their goal. If people were actually buying credits with gusto we'd have bi-weekly updates with 3x the content we currently get in a monthly update to keep the whales fat and happy, so we know the MTX's are a huge failure (at least relative to their expectations)

To be clear, since there are people on this board that think criticism = unbridled hatred, I really like what's actually here, especially when it's functioning as it should. They are just way too slow to fix problems that completely ruin certain content ('50's/60's roadsters, etc) and finish the rest of the license content. If they just fixed bugs in a timely manner (1.23 was when the roadsters were broken... lol) and completed the content that corresponds to the licenses it would be a lot less insulting. I don't think it's too much to ask for routine maintenance and filling in the content that should have been here at launch nearly a year post-launch. If they never intended to have corresponding races and championships for IB/IA/S licenses, they never should have included them in the first place. Ditto on the car collector XP "system" which seems like cut content they forgot to actually cut, lol.

Last edited:
Im with the op.
Even there are compressed pictures they show 1 thing pretty clear.
In Gt sport the car and track/detail polygon count are tone in tone and match together.
In gt7 the polygon count for the cars are way higher but the track/details are lower and that shows what i say all the time. Gt7 isnt a nativ ps5 code, it is a overcoocked ps4 code. If it was a nativ ps5 code the track/detail polygon count would match with the car polygon quality.

Im a big Fan of this franchise but some will never take off there pink glasses…

Exactly! What the hell have they been doing for the last 5 years?! I can't remember the user's name, but there's a guy on here that was hypothesizing that PD only actually has 10-20 devs, tops. If true that would explain a LOT, but why wouldn't they just say that their team is smaller than a lot of indie studios if that were the case? And if that's not true what have the ~300 employees (as per Wikipedia... no idea how accurate that is, but if true 100-150 actual devs) been doing since GT Sport stopped receiving support in ~2019? Not working on GT7, that's for sure... So they're either a ghost studio or they've left GT7 with a skeleton crew of a few devs and the rest have moved on to GT8. Not sure what other option is on the table as I've not heard of mass layoffs.
Here's my take, PD have a large studio as compny data confirms etc. But the game is the way it is not out of incompetance but out of design. Personally, many of the issues with the game are by design and much of the lack of content I take issue with, i.e lack of a single player career, could be implemented in a matter of weeks by a single coder. It smacks of focusing on the wrong areas as opposed to lacking resources.
As far as the macro-transactions, it's quite baffling, huh. I wonder if they really thought people were going to spend $200 (plus tax) on a single 20mil cred car? If it was a mobile game with anime girls of questionable age in bikini's, sure, I could see it working. But a console exclusive racer/driving sim?! Whatever their expectations, it's pretty clear they came up woefully short of their goal. If people were actually buying credits with gusto we'd have bi-weekly updates with 3x the content we currently get in a monthly update to keep the whales fat and happy, so we know the MTX's are a huge failure (at least relative to their expectations)
I don't beleive this is the case, I think they always intended to drip feed content and the MTX's are aside from that. I don't see anything clearly disproving this or suggesting otherwise. It's not good, that I agree with, but don't follow your logic here, or rather I don't agree with it.
To be clear, since there are people on this board that think criticism = unbridled hatred, I really like what's actually here, especially when it's functioning as it should. They are just way too slow to fix problems that completely ruin certain content ('50's/60's roadsters, etc) and finish the rest of the license content. If they just fixed bugs in a timely manner (1.23 was when the roadsters were broken... lol) and completed the content that corresponds to the licenses it would be a lot less insulting. I don't think it's too much to ask for routine maintenance and filling in the content that should have been here at launch nearly a year post-launch. If they never intended to have corresponding races and championships for IB/IA/S licenses, they never should have included them in the first place. Ditto on the car collector XP "system" which seems like cut content they forgot to actually cut, lol.
Some people certainly, but not most, however clamining GT7 is abandonware does nothing but illicit the obvious and expected responses. If you want a rational debate then you have to be rational yourself. I agree with some of your points but I hope you can understand what I'm getting at. It's ok to say what you think, but thinking about what you say is very important.

Last edited:
Lol, so it's technically not abandonware... It's just they've never finished the game, do next to nothing to support it (adding support for VR, that'll bring in players by the dozens! lol) and the players are gone. So it's only abandonware in SPIRIT. My sincerest apologies 🤡 It's a goddamned ghost town in this game and everyone can see it...

I just scrolled to the last page of the online TT. With 2 days left only 121k and change have participated... in the best paying content in the game, where there is zero interaction with other players, meaning even the meekest of offline players are incentivized to participate.

How many million copies did GT7 sell? 4? 6? We know it's somewhere in that ball park. Yet there are only 120k participating in the best-paying event the game has to offer, world-wide. I also checked during the anniversary content over the holidays when the largest number of people are likely to participate. I think there was 130k when I checked at that point...

The first problem with that theory is that you're assuming every single player of the game does the time trial or is even aware. I haven't done them in months and boot the game a few times per week, and from the trophy stats we can deduce most players don't even touch Sport mode and treat it exclusively as a singleplayer game, and even out of those that do touch Sport mode, it's not even a guarantee they will do the trial. Check the difference in submissions between the third most recent time trial and the second most recent one, did GT7 suddenly almost double its playerbase? Not really, people were just more interested in doing one of the trials than the other.

The second problem is that your playerbase expectation for a game that released nearly a year ago is just off. Outside of the biggest GAAS games, the playerbase will shrink over time, and 120k bi-weekly players (assuming again that every active player does the time trial) seems like a perfectly fine number at this point it time.

Here's my take, PD have a large studio as compny data confirms etc. But the game is the way it is not out of incompetance but out of design. Personally, many of the issues with the game are by design and much of the lack of content I take issue with, i.e lack of a single player career, could be implemented in a matter of weeks by a single coder. It smacks of focusing on the wrong areas as opposed to lacking resources.

I don't beleive this is the case, I think they always intended to drip feed content and the MTX's are aside from that. I don't see anything clearly disproving this or suggesting otherwise. It's not good, that I agree with, but don't follow your logic here, or rather I don't agree with it.

Some people certainly, but not most, however clamining GT7 is abandonware does nothing but illicit the obvious and expected responses. If you want a rational debate then you have to be rational yourself. I agree with some of your points but I hope you can understand what I'm getting at. It's ok to say what you think, but thinking about what you say is very important.
I think a movement needs to be started,online communication encouraging not to make any in game purchases until these greedy studios come to their senses….In game purchases make sense at reasonable and fair prices until then it’s needs to be communicated to Sony and PD studious that greed will not be tolerated by their customers and fans until they come to fair price of in game purchases

Im with the op.
Even there are compressed pictures they show 1 thing pretty clear.
In Gt sport the car and track/detail polygon count are tone in tone and match together.
In gt7 the polygon count for the cars are way higher but the track/details are lower and that shows what i say all the time. Gt7 isnt a nativ ps5 code, it is a overcoocked ps4 code. If it was a nativ ps5 code the track/detail polygon count would match with the car polygon quality.

Im a big Fan of this franchise but some will never take off there pink glasses…
No such thing. There wasn't anything downgraded between PS4 GT Sport to PS5 GT7. None, not even one track.

What really happened is almost every track got upgraded from their GT Sport version. More trees, more vegetation, redesigns, much better textures. I know this because I have both games running on the PS5.

Also, better lightning, better draw distance, much better resolution.

In my opinion this is a non-thread.

No such thing. There wasn't anything downgraded between PS4 GT Sport to PS5 GT7. None, not even one track.

What really happened is almost every track got upgraded from their GT Sport version. More trees, more vegetation, redesigns, much better textures. I know this because I have both games running on the PS5.

Also, better lightning, better draw distance, much better resolution.

In my opinion this is a non-thread.
Close up textures yes looks a bit better but for distance it looks worse. Brake signes number popins, lod zone arround the car really bad in suzuka, dragon trail etc. 30fps cockpitview reflections is a no go with such a hardware. Do you ever tried to recreate sceneri like trial mountain with the redbull cars? The reflections in cockpitview looks so stunning in the teaser trailer, but there are also missing. The handfull more of billboard trees are not a sucsess. So or so it is not a good version. You will see what happens when the new forza is released. A current gen only game will look so much better. And no i dont like forza, i speek only for visuals.
And yes i like graphics, it is disturbing with all the textures, shadow popins, or cars there are a bit to far in front lose details and decals. Dont get me wrong i play daily gt but the air is out. Lag of good races, still no endurance for nordschleife or in general. All tracks should have an endurance race with a good payout.
Open lobbys after 10 month still not playable.
And yes there downgraded gt7 on ps5, from 20 to 16 car grid. Cockpitview lightning is not the same like day1. More lod issus like on day 1.
You can talk the game beauty for you but not for me. Like i sayed before pink glasses

Last edited:
Close up textures yes looks a bit better but for distance it looks worse. Brake signes number popins, lod zone arround the car really bad in suzuka, dragon trail etc. 30fps cockpitview reflections is a no go with such a hardware. Do you ever tried to recreate sceneri like trial mountain with the redbull cars? The reflections in cockpitview looks so stunning in the teaser trailer, but there are also missing. The handfull more of billboard trees are not a sucsess. So or so it is not a good version. You will see what happens when the new forza is released. A current gen only game will look so much better. And no i dont like forza, i speek only for visuals.
And yes i like graphics, it is disturbing with all the textures, shadow popins, or cars there are a bit to far in front lose details and decals. Dont get me wrong i play daily gt but the air is out. Lag of good races, still no endurance for nordschleife or in general. All tracks should have an endurance race with a good payout.
Open lobbys after 10 month still not playable.
And yes there downgraded gt7 on ps5, from 20 to 16 car grid. Cockpitview lightning is not the same like day1. More lod issus like on day 1.
You can talk the game beauty for you but not for me. Like i sayed before pink glasses
Just false. I have both games in front of me, I'm not comparing it to Forza, but only to GT Sport. Every single thing you're complaining about the graphics was worse on GT Sport. Sorry dude, agree to disagree.

As I said, GT7 is an iteration on GTS, there's nothing worse at all (graphics-wise). All the baked lightning is even better on time trial mode for instance.

matter fact, wait on me, i finna create the "GTS vs GT7 thread - this is why nobody is talking about this"

Last edited:
I think a movement needs to be started,online communication encouraging not to make any in game purchases until these greedy studios come to their senses….In game purchases make sense at reasonable and fair prices until then it’s needs to be communicated to Sony and PD studious that greed will not be tolerated by their customers and fans until they come to fair price of in game purchases
Nothing is forcing you to spend real money on this game. (Apart from the initial fee to buy the game.)
I haven't bought a Microtransaction and have no intention of doing so either.

Just false. I have both games in front of me, I'm not comparing it to Forza, but only to GT Sport. Every single thing you're complaining about the graphics was worse on GT Sport. Sorry dude, agree to disagree.

As I said, GT7 is an iteration on GTS, there's nothing worse at all (graphics-wise). All the baked lightning is even better on time trial mode for instance.

matter fact, wait on me, i finna create the "GTS vs GT7 thread - this is why nobody is talking about this"
There are improvement in resolution and polygon count for the cars but the rest 🤔
Its not the improvement like the teaser are shown. I expect a big leap over gts and it isnt. I mean if you are really happy with it now? Good for you, im not.

There are improvement in resolution and polygon count for the cars but the rest 🤔
Its not the improvement like the teaser are shown. I expect a big leap over gts and it isnt. I mean if you are really happy with it now? Good for you, im not.
Of course, but you were saying it was actually downgraded from GTS, not the case. It is marginally better, not worse.

Of course, but you were saying it was actually downgraded from GTS, not the case. It is marginally better, not worse.
No, i say gt7 on ps5 got downgraded it is not looking the same like on release day. And gt sport looks more tone in tone and gt7 dosnt.
So or so it isnt good.

No, i say gt7 on ps5 got downgraded it is not looking the same like on release day. And gt sport looks more tone in tone and gt7 dosnt.
So or so it isnt good.
What were the downgrades? I remember the smoke effects got reduced, then improved, but not the same as the big smoke from the launch days.

LOD is the same, shadows are actually better AA wise, Reflections were a little improved.

I think you just remember wrong. There's been only the smoke effects, even rain got improved.

The cars look stunning in Scapes but most people play in hood or bumper cam so they don't see much of the cars themselves anyway, so what's the point of making anything look good in a modern AAA game?

So true. I feel they need to add a new view that is between current cockpit and hood. The bumper cam is what I tend to play in as it gives the most visibility of the track. I tried hood view but it feels too high, as in it is more a GoPro stuck to the roof view and I don't like it. With the in cockpit view, I find the steering wheel to be distracting in that from my field of view I see two steering wheels, the real one and the virtual one with just a perceivable bit of lag; it throws me off. Also I find the A pillar a bit to "in" for comfort and restrictive. If there was an in-cockpit view with the A pillar pushed out wider and the steering wheel removed so that the field of view is wider and you sit closer to the dash that would be idea I think. I particularly felt that in the Daily Race A this week driving the BAC Mono. I nearly loved the cockpit view but the virtual steering wheel was so annoying I had to go back to bumper...

Yes the smoke is by far not the same like release. Lod is wors then release. Trackdetails are not the same. Cockpitview lighnting is not the same, it is way to dark and no bounce lightning in cockpitview.
C3382F69-5D04-48B0-B7AB-059D4319864C.jpeg

In my opinion they downgraded it because of the ps4 vs ps5 online issuse. We can talk the hole day, at the end it is not the same like it was teased.

Last edited:
It could also be the the more mediocre players have discovered that it is just no worth their time playing the TT for 2M credits. The current one I spent hours trying to get into the top 3% (I did on the prior TT) but this current one I am stuck at 4.66% for the 1M credit payout. For the time spent it was not worth it though. I'd rather spend 1/2 hour at Le Mans or Sardegna to win an easy 825,000 cr at one time. In the time I spent on the TT, I can earn many millions of credits more elsewhere.

On a side not, having not played GTS, I find GT7 on the PS5 very pretty. Perhaps it feels downgraded if you're on the PS4 version?

Last edited:
Yes the smoke is by far not the same like release. Lod is wors then release. Trackdetails are not the same. Cockpitview lighnting is not the same, it is way to dark and no bounce lightning in cockpitview.
View attachment 1227314
In my opinion they downgraded it because of the ps4 vs ps5 online issuse. We can talk the hole day, at the end it is not the same like it was teased.
I can easily take a photo showcasing bounce lightning. I will be back.

You're saying it was downgraded from pre-release? I have no idea in that case. What I'm talking about is since 1.01

I can easily take a photo showcasing bounce lightning. I will be back.

You're saying it was downgraded from pre-release? I have no idea in that case. What I'm talking about is since 1.01
Release state no pre release. Of corse you will find a spot it is a bit more lit, but it should be more lit on daytime like it is shown. This is the next thing. Not all cars look the same inside. light wise, even the rear and side mirrows are per car diffrent in quality. I compare it only with forza to let you think about how gt7 can look like if it was ps5 only. After the psvr2 release we have 4 diffrent version of the game. And all based on a 10 year old engine.

And speeking of rain.
Try sf19 in cockpiview in the rain and you will see, Raindrops are glued to the car, thats a joke.

Last edited:
I don't know how nobody talks about this....but the difference between graphics among the 2 games is massive. Look at how much worse GT7 looks compared to GT Sport.
The backround envirorments in GT7 look like PS2 backgrounds. Let these 2 pictures do the rest of the talking.

GT Sport PS4 PRO/PS5 BC

GT7 PS4 PRO/PS5 BC
The photo conditions are way different. It's obvious by the intensity of the reflection of the ceilling light on the upper right in both photographs.

In my experience in a regular PS4, the graphic design that matters (cars and the track itself) are on a different league in GT7, for better. It's a racing game, not Architecture and Landscape Digest or whatever.
Couldn't care less about how many polygons are used on a building or a tree half a mile on the horizon...
Also you don't point the obvious, the trees on the left side, that didn't exist on GT Sport, more things demanding GPU processing, more polygons, etc... The landscape modeling is quite different and so the way designers use the polygons available.

Back