GT Sprint Cup 1 year Anniversary Race, Friday 27th March

• Thread starter HoonigaN96
  • 145 comments

Which cars would you prefer for the 300km?

• Gr3 cars same as the Sprint Cup Series

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Gr1/3 multiclass

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • VGT cars using 3 selected and balanced GrX cars

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I really need to get some practice in today, not used a Gr1 car at Spa, and can't remember the last time I used softs, never done any multi-class racing and not done a race longer than an hour!

I've been on both ends of multiclass racing and it's ends up being an exercise in patience when in the faster class. I came to learn in the slower class to generally hold your own line and let the faster class figure their own way to get past.

Yeah, that's the briefing given to the drivers in the NSW Sport Sedans at every meeting.

And the closing speeds between the space frame Camaros against a production spec Lancer Evolution is huge so it certainly catches your attention.

Best advise I can give to the Gr. 3 field is pay attention for the blue flags and hold your line through the corners. The Gr. 1 field will need to be patient and best to lap cars in a straight line where practical.

Yeah, that's the briefing given to the drivers in the NSW Sport Sedans at every meeting.

And the closing speeds between the space frame Camaros against a production spec Lancer Evolution is huge so it certainly catches your attention.

Best advise I can give to the Gr. 3 field is pay attention for the blue flags and hold your line through the corners. The Gr. 1 field will need to be patient and best to lap cars in a straight line where practical.
LMP Cars can past most places, before/after La Source, Kemmel, Blanchimont and Pouhon around the outside too.

LMP Cars can past most places, before/after La Source, Kemmel, Blanchimont and Pouhon around the outside too.

True, although given that multi class racing is rare in GT Sports (at least from my knowledge) some might not be as prepared as others.

So after a bit of practice race pace is looking like mid 59's, I tried a custom race with Gr3 to simulate traffic....Holy Cow! I badly underestimated how difficult it will be!

Damn i am stupid!

Did my strategy based on doing 43 laps, without considering that we obv will get lapped several times by Gr1!
Well, cost me only one position.

Was fun racing, was very rusty, battle in the opening stint cost me lot of time.

Damn i am stupid!

Did my strategy based on doing 43 laps, without considering that we obv will get lapped several times by Gr1!

Was fun racing, was very rusty, battle in the opening stint cost me lot of time.

You guys should seen my face when in finished the race, me thinking there is 8 more to go lol

First time this side of Gr1-Gr3, was crazy :dopey:

Great race, this combo is just so awesome to drive.
Qualy was pretty good but i know i had pace for pole. Got held up on by traffic on what would have been a great lap.
Race was pretty good aswell. Up to first after t1 and built a good gap. However, i dont have a wheel, wear is more severe and from my testing, a one stopper would not be possible. So i didnt even try it, no tyre saving at all and 2 stops was my strategy. And i honestly think it would have worked and i would have came out ahead after stop #2, had it not been for my absolutely awful stint 2. I made so many stupid mistakes that costed me 3/4 seconds. This trend continued into the start stint 3 where i lost a good 3 seconds on my out lap. Still, i was in a good position and catching ZePhyR fast. But i bottled it again. With 4 laps to go and 2 seconds behind i spun at the exit of Brussels and it was game over. But what a race it was. Congrats to ZePhyR for yet another win (although he did have to work harder for this one).

PS: Gutted for @paoloevans, such bad luck

Last edited:
Sorry I had to check out straight after the race finished. Had only 20 minutes to get to work.

The opening stint battle down the back of the Gr. 3 field was epic. Sadly my lap pace fell off after the first stop and was never in the hunt to move forward again.

Having the Gr. 1 cars in the field certainly made life interesting and apologise to those I may have held up.

We should definitely do this again sometime.

I really enjoyed this race. Watching out for the LMP's added an extra challenge. The speed difference caught me out occasionally, and probably couple of others. From what I saw though, us GT3'ers were trying our best to allow a little extra room when being passed.

GT3 battle was rather intense at times. I spent a lot of the race behind the Vantage of HarskGaming96. The Atenza was great on the brakes, well-balanced and good on fuel. Harsk and I pitted at the same time an I'd saved 20 litres of fuel against him. Against the Aston and the Merc, I was losing about 10mph down the Kemmel straight. Perhaps Spa wasn't suited to it.

I would love to do this again some time - perhaps a short series visiting some of the real-word tracks: Interlagos, Nurburbring GP, Suzuka I think would be good combinations.

Anyway, some photos. I've put them in as thumbnails, so click to enlarge. 20200328085226.jpg 20200328085234.jpg 20200328085306.jpg 20200328085314.jpg 20200328085321.jpg 20200328085336.jpg

Damn i am stupid!

I actually had figure out I was 2 laps too short on fuel, and was thinking of a splash and dash, when I noticed people getting the chequered flag, I never thought about the LM cars race distance too.

Back