GT Touring Car Series -- Series finished! Ozwheels3 takes the title!Finished 

• Thread starter flip55
  • 577 comments
Making some sacrifices to the network gods in hopes that tonight will run smoother than last week. Tonight's gonna be a good one!

Remember, endurance format tonight. 6 laps, should take about an hour to complete. One pit stop is mandatory and can be taken at any point in the race, but you can take more than one if your strategy calls for it. (I think everyone can get away with one, though.)

The in game start time will be at 4:40 am and time will be accelerated at 10x actual speed. This means that lap one of the race will be in total darkness, and sunrise will begin sometime after lap 2 begins for most people. So most of the race will take place during the day.

See you guys tonight!

We could have just stopped. And you host a new room. I'm ok with redoing the race? I'm pretty sure you would have been on the podium.

Flip, is there any way we can re-reg the miata or something? It's 2 sec faster and has the best tire wear and fuel millage. I would say add between 100-120kg. Does anyone else have an opinion on this or is it just me?

20140328_005018.jpg

I appreciate it, but one person dropping does not constitute a restart. No matter who it is. That's how we've run all year.

Thanks mate!
I would love to redo the race with all those who missed for various reasons ... And to take back about 100 rpm that sent me in a very long graceful barrier kissing shunt that cost me around 30 seconds.
Also apologies to the Bimmer who crashed when I backed off to let him by...and to the reality challenged overly optimistic overly aggressive individuals who pass in absurd places...get real, you do that in the real world and they sit you down for a race....on the other hand many thanks for the miata bump draft..that was a real hoot...the ole peoples car will never see that side of 150

.and to the reality challenged overly optimistic overly aggressive individuals who pass in absurd places...get real, you do that in the real world and they sit you down for a race....
I hope this is not referring to a right corner where you went too wide leaving a gaping hole on the inside.

It was another good endurance. I could have swore I saw Oz's driver screaming and crying in his car during qualifying as a Miata barrelled into a spun out BMW at 100 or so mph.

Last edited:
I hope this is not referring to a right corner where you went too wide leaving a gaping hole on the inside.

It was another good endurance. I could have swore I saw Ox ' s driver screaming and crying in his car during qualifying as a Miata barrelled into a spun out BMW at 100 or so mph.
Not unless you hit me lol. That probably was my letting you by..I'm going to look at the replay and apologize and/or comment as necessary. However, that was so much fun I want to do it again .
Also my second set of tires went off in one lap did any one else have that problem?

I thought about what Oz said about the weight issue with the Miata being dominate.

The Miata is becoming very dominate because of tuning. The weight and tire wear are also adding to the advantage majorly, but it is the tuning that is really making the Miata dominate.

With that said, re-regging might not be the answer this far into the season. However, I do think a weight penalty added to 1st, 2nd and 3rd place should be added. Now the Miata will obtain more weight with a 1st place then any other car. Kinda like the JGTC with added ballast. Possibly up to 150 kg or 200 kg max. While the car's like the BMW maybe a max weight of 50 kg. We had this problem with the Integra early in the season with its power and speed, but tire wear has made it practically impossible for that car to be a front runner in the league. That might need to get looked into.

The reason why I am proposing it this way because it feels like a proper solution for those that think the Miata is too overpowering with its attributes.

We can go back an add up all the tallies of wins from the beginning of the season until now to get what needs to be added to each car for the next race if we decide to do this.

The other reason for this proposal is so that the back of the field guys can get in the mix an have an honest shot of winning.

You can't base results from an Enduro to automatically nerd just one car. Which I agreed in the beginning with the Integra being nerfed, but now I disagree with that decision.

Not unless you hit me lol. That probably was my letting you by..I'm going to look at the replay and apologize and/or comment as necessary. However, that was so much fun I want to do it again .
Also my second set of tires went off in one lap did any one else have that problem?
No there was no hitting there, it was big enough of a gap that I could get by. It was a fun race, I would do that again. Just makes us all better racers :-)

I thought about what Oz said about the weight issue with the Miata being dominate.

The Miata is becoming very dominate because of tuning. The weight and tire wear are also adding to the advantage majorly, but it is the tuning that is really making the Miata dominate.

With that said, re-regging might not be the answer this far into the season. However, I do think a weight penalty added to 1st, 2nd and 3rd place should be added. Now the Miata will obtain more weight with a 1st place then any other car. Kinda like the JGTC with added ballast. Possibly up to 150 kg or 200 kg max. While the car's like the BMW maybe a max weight of 50 kg. We had this problem with the Integra early in the season with its power and speed, but tire wear has made it practically impossible for that car to be a front runner in the league. That might need to get looked into.

The reason why I am proposing it this way because it feels like a proper solution for those that think the Miata is too overpowering with its attributes.

We can go back an add up all the tallies of wins from the beginning of the season until now to get what needs to be added to each car for the next race if we decide to do this.

The other reason for this proposal is so that the back of the field guys can get in the mix an have an honest shot of winning.

You can't base results from an Enduro to automatically nerd just one car. Which I agreed in the beginning with the Integra being nerfed, but now I disagree with that decision.

Definitely agree with you. The Miatas are becoming way too dominate. But I think 200kg would be far too much. 150 for a first place win should be more than sufficient.
Or we could could possibly change the power adders. Use the stage three engine tuning instead perhaps?
But something definitely needs to be done about the Miatas kicking ass ;]

Definitely agree with you. The Miatas are becoming way too dominate. But I think 200kg would be far too much. 150 for a first place win should be more than sufficient.
Or we could could possibly change the power adders. Use the stage three engine tuning instead perhaps?
But something definitely needs to be done about the Miatas kicking ass ;]
Maybe I didn't put that right. A total of 150 kg penalty weight over the course or the series, not just 150 kg right away with a single win

The idea of success ballast is not a bad one at all. The biggest problem I have is that no one will have absolutely any idea whether or not a driver has the right weight, or is doing it at all (and is a type of feature that I think PD needs to add.) It can work, so long as everyone is willing to go with it.
We'll have to do a little bit of work to find suitable weight additions. 150 right away for a win may be a bit much.

Edit: Here's what the BTCC does. May not be a bad place to start, our numbers can be a little more round than this.

http://www.btccpages.com/btcc/regs.php#ballast

The Championship success ballast awarded after the Third Race of a Meeting will be effective for the free practice sessions, official qualifying session and the First Race at the following Championship Meeting.

A success ballast weight handicap will be applied to drivers finishing in the first Race and the second Race at each Meeting and in the order in the Drivers Championship after the third Race at each Meeting according to the following scale:

1st position: +45 Kg
2nd: +36 Kg
3rd: +27 Kg
4th: +18 Kg
5th: +9 Kg
6th or lower: 0 Kg

Last edited:
Maybe I didn't put that right. A total of 150 kg penalty weight over the course or the series, not just 150 kg right away with a single win

In the real world the ballast is added where the team wants and is removed by a percentage every time they finish out of the top three with similar percentages for podium finishers. Say every time the winning driver does not finish on the podium he gets 33% back until he is whole again, a third place driver, assessed a lesser amount might be whole with one finish off the steps. You see this all the time in GT series all around the world. This is death for a slow car but its the same for all cars. The speed in the miata is not horsepower speed it is sheer cornering speed...I tested one at Apricot and in the big sweeper (Left Hander onto the back straight ) where the VW can maybe if you get it just right is a downshift and lift entering the straight..the Miata was FLAT ( WITH NO TUNING )in whatever gear and exited the turn at least 10 knots faster....it is a great car for either beginner or pro because it is damn near impossible to spin with the current tires. I want one...even with increased weight. The VW was damn near perfect for the first three laps last night...as people fell off I passed them and they would then catch me up and when Flip DCd I actually SAW the leader when he was either texting or recovering from over exuberance . The problem was that I'd see him and then he pulled away at a huge rate of knots....it didn't piss me off....racing is not fair...Ask McLaren last year....next year I will pick more carefully after testing all at different tracks.
This is a GREAT FUN series....and endurance races are PRIMO.

I'm not sure were on the same page when you say the miata is winning because of tuning, can you clarify?

The issue with the miata is the only thing it lacks is torque. So on tracks like Indianapolis where there is a lot of slow speed turns the miata doesn't have as big of an advantage. However it is still 1 second faster around Indy. 1 second is a lot of time when your comparing 2 very fast laps. Other tracks like Brands Hatch, Suzuka East, Bathurst these are pure handling tracks so the miatas lack of torque won't be noticed and we'll be back to 2 seconds faster. The miata also doesn't have a slower top speed because it gets much better runs out of the final turns. I knew the miata was faster before the series started and I'm not basing this off of the Nurburgring, I knew roob was winning that no matter what.

A success ballast is a good idea and you can check all of this with reg checks flip. However just adding success ballast won't slow down the miata. The miata needs around 100kg I would say before we get into success ballast.

I would be more than happy to help with reging cars if flip wants.

I guess I'll Add my two cents. I don't think success ballast will solve the problem with the miata being dominant. (although it would tighten up the pack a bit in terms of drivers skill) the miata would still have an advantage over the BMW if it was subjected to the same weight penalties. Sure, it would appear the playing field was evened out a bit but the miata would still take the majority of the wins. I think it needs weight added to it. Maybe even a very substantial amount (200-300) kg's with a bit of extra horsepower. Also OZ is my teamate in a no tuning GT300 series,
we practiced together before and on tracks we were both familiar with I would say our pace was almost dead even. If he is seconds down on a track we are both familiar with (apricot hill) I would agree it is the car thats holding him back.

Last edited:
yes but everybody was able to prove the car before doing a desicion and wen everyone choose his car he was knowing the pros and cons so i dont see why we have to change the reg in a car

flip said in the first post that you should prove all the cars fist to make a decision if posible

sorry for the bad english :(

im in the miata and im not fast :P

yes but everybody was able to prove the car before doing a desicion and wen everyone choose his car he was knowing the pros and cons so i dont see why we have to change the reg in a car

flip said in the first post that you should prove all the cars fist to make a decision if posible

sorry for the bad english :(

im in the miata and im not fast :P
Edward you don't see the full problem because your in a miata. It's different on the outside looking in when you know you've lost the race before it starts. People are finding more of the miatas full potential now and it's getting to be a little out of control.

Edward you don't see the full problem because your in a miata. It's different on the outside looking in when you know you've lost the race before it starts. People are finding more of the miatas full potential now and it's getting to be a little out of control.

i understand you very well i know i loose the race from the biggining cous you all the good guys are faster then me but what im traing to seay is that everybody choose their own car from the begining

again sorry for the english :)

you guys know better then me what to do i was only giving my opinion

i understand you very well i know i loose the race from the biggining cous you all the good guys are faster then me but what im traing to seay is that everybody choose their own car from the begining

again sorry for the english :)

you guys know better then me what to do i was only giving my opinion
I'm not saying you personally lose the race before it starts. I'm saying that's how it feels to anyone not in a miata.

Here is a different question. Qually was fubar. We all got dumped and one guy took off then about three of us went froward and all pulled over. I assume that we were supposed to take spacing but it didn't work that way. Finally I outfumbled the rest and left but the spacing was not right because I had to let a bimmer past me in the lap and then found out to my chagrin that I was faster in most of the corners but could not get by. I followed onto the long straight and could has easily drafted past...but that is a no no....and I could have passed him on the outside under the bridge as I had him on top speed but elected to follow him home(you really can pass there but the reaction of other driver occasionally results in a fiberglass and steel wad at 150 purely ballistic ) but I had lost about 4 or 5 seconds. Then to my utter horror I saw that I was way up the grid and had given away too much. Maybe I missed the procedure but usually everyone sits in a group and then every 10 seconds a car starts in no particular order except where the computer dumped you. Also I suggest that next time we visit a track with long lap times that the qually time be increased to allow at least two hot laps.(that would prevent a spacing/timing snafu from being critical as there would be another lap

Miata.... how would she handle and go if the rest of the field was on mediums and the little guy on hards...might need some more power to chuck it around....might be real "fun" to drive.

Back