GT Touring Car Series -- Series finished! Ozwheels3 takes the title!Finished 

• Thread starter flip55
  • 577 comments
Here is a different question. Qually was fubar. We all got dumped and one guy took off then about three of us went froward and all pulled over. I assume that we were supposed to take spacing but it didn't work that way. Finally I outfumbled the rest and left but the spacing was not right because I had to let a bimmer past me in the lap and then found out to my chagrin that I was faster in most of the corners but could not get by. I followed onto the long straight and could has easily drafted past...but that is a no no....and I could have passed him on the outside under the bridge as I had him on top speed but elected to follow him home(you really can pass there but the reaction of other driver occasionally results in a fiberglass and steel wad at 150 purely ballistic ) but I had lost about 4 or 5 seconds. Then to my utter horror I saw that I was way up the grid and had given away too much. Maybe I missed the procedure but usually everyone sits in a group and then every 10 seconds a car starts in no particular order except where the computer dumped you. Also I suggest that next time we visit a track with long lap times that the qually time be increased to allow at least two hot laps.(that would prevent a spacing/timing snafu from being critical as there would be another lap

Miata.... how would she handle and go if the rest of the field was on mediums and the little guy on hards...might need some more power to chuck it around....might be real "fun" to drive.
You'd be surprised how little of a difference there is between mediums and hards when you only have 300hp. It needs weight. The miata is essentially a FR lotus.

Gotta make it short, at work, but I am willing to see the rest of the field get mediums. Would be interesting at least

Oz can you an Roob, test that out with mediums in Apricot hill?

But then comes the tire wear issue again... so I do not think it would be the answer

The miata only weighs 700kg it's that simple. I'm pretty sure it's power to weight ratio is the best by a lot. I know it's better than the BMW by about .40. I said I would test it with extra weight if that's where we're going with this.

I think racing hards are too grippy for these cars. Mediums will be full throttle all the way, and the tire wear issue then.... I think the best way to handle this is to run the Miata and the BMW at two tracks of different styles. Have drivers that can really push/tune the cars to there full potential, run the cars until an almost perfect lap is achieved on each track and compare the results. Then slow down the miata by adding weight and test again. Now here's the thing. I hate regulating cars to an equal spec. To do it properly takes hours and hours even for just 2 cars. Also, I can't drive FWD cars to their full potential. It takes a whole different driving style I haven't even fully figured out, let alone mastered. Not to mention I think making cars of different drivetrains equal in lap time, AND over the length of a race is really hard, if not impossible. Think you guys should choose 2 tracks of different styles high speed and technical, and then I'll run some laps. I can slow down the miata to the BMW but that's all I'm really willing to do.. I haven't really raced any of you head to head except Oz so I can't speak for anyone else but I know oz can run the cars well and he will make them fair. After all he chose the slower car for a challenge, but he didn't think there was THAT much of a difference. I can't get on the game for a day or two so maybe if Oz can put the miata in check the next couple of days, when I get back I can double check his findings and assure you all is fair (as i can't stand being stuck in a car made for the loss)

Last edited:
Hit Monza and hit Ascari. I think those two tracks should suffice.

After that we all can present it to Flip and he will make final judgement.

I haven't turned a single lap on ascari yet. Will take some time for me to learn to track. I know Suzuka very well, and I know Monza.

Ascari
Miata 2:04.9
BMW 2:06.9
The FWD's can't really compete with fast tire wear.
Parity Racing
Have any of you competed in the WRS Parity Racing ? It was patterned after Dead Nuts Even Racing formula. It is unbelievably simple..the formula that it uses is :
1. A maximum speed, not on the rev-limiter
is established for the track
2. A minimum lap time is set.
3. Any car, any power train, any tire, any anything.I used an Oreca Viper with 60% power and medium racing tires and actually went door handle to door handle with guys who I can't even come close to in my dreams. It was better than Spec Racing because each car had its virtues and vices.

The racing was, in a word incredible...Vipers, Rice Rockets, Gt 40s, FWD, FF, FR.
Snarling packs of cars (being very polite...but firm). They held a group of 10 lap or so races and then had pick up races after until finally all were exhausted, there was a European meeting and then about 8 hours Later they held another in NA. I did both. I think I ran about 14 to 16 races and got one the stewards , a division 2 driver ( Divisions 1 through Division 4 were allowed. Some of had maybe 10 races under their belts and a few had hundreds or perhaps thousands. ) took me around and around sitting on my bumper...it was both fun and and a great learning experience ....Incredible. In this country the Steward is GTP_Gravitron .

The key is setting the speeds and lap times which was given to all about a week before the event....and it is not rocket science....but it takes pounding around figuring out how fast the little TCs can run comfortably.Then, If someone wanted to enter a Monster V8 they had to lengthen the gearing to lower the top speed and then throw the kitchen sink at the car and in my case go to medium racers to handle well enough to make the lap time.

Last edited:
Parity Racing
Have any of you competed in the WRS Parity Racing ? It was patterned after Dead Nuts Even Racing formula. It is unbelievably simple..the formula that it uses is :
1. A maximum speed, not on the rev-counter is established for the track
2. A minimum lap time is set.
3. Any car, any power train, any tire, any anything.I used an Oreca Viper with 60% power and medium racing tires and actually went door handle to door handle with guys who I can't even come close to in my dreams. It was better than Spec Racing because each car had its virtues and vices.

The racing was, in a word incredible...Vipers, Rice Rockets, Gt 40s, FWD, FF, FR.
Snarling packs of cars (being very polite...but firm). They held a group of 10 lap or so races and then had pick up races after until finally all were exhausted, there was a European meeting and then about 8 hours Later they held another in NA. I did both. I think I ran about 14 to 16 races and got one the stewards , a division 2 driver ( Divisions 1 through Division 4 were allowed. Some of had maybe 10 races under their belts and a few had hundreds or perhaps thousands. ) took me around and around sitting on my bumper...it was both fun and and a great learning experience ....Incredible. In this country the Steward is GTP_Graviton .

The key is setting the speeds and lap times which was given to all about a week before the event....and it is not rocket science....but it takes pounding around figuring out how fast the little TCs can run comfortably.Then, If someone wanted to enter a Monster V8 they had to lengthen the gearing to lower the top speed and then throw the kitchen sink at the car and in my case go to medium racers to handle well enough to make the lap time.

Ultimately, I believe this is what would be great to have with each an every car in this series. May be something to look into. We haven't heard from Flip yet, so I would wait until we receive input from him and where He wants the series to go. We are here to have fun in this league and make friends who we will be racing against for a long time to come.

I agree with you Rustic over racing being unfair, Mclaren should have a turn around year this year, but wait until the 2015 F1 season :) Honda is making a return ;-).

I don't think saying racing is unfair really describes what we're talking about with the miata. If that was the case we should run a one make miata league.

Somebody, can you do me a favor and see what you can do around Indy with the miata.

I don't think saying racing is unfair really describes what we're talking about with the miata. If that was the case we should run a one make miata league.

Somebody, can you do me a favor and see what you can do around Indy with the miata.
Yeah I am getting on that now. It is going to take me a bit because I am not familiar with the track. You want me TT it offline or online?

Alright, so quick note on what's been discussed this week. We are leaning towards the addition of success ballast as opposed to a total redesign of the regs. We don't have concrete values yet, but we're working on it.

Alright, so quick note on what's been discussed this week. We are leaning towards the addition of success ballast as opposed to a total redesign of the regs. We don't have concrete values yet, but we're working on it.
I think this is a good compromise being the fact that we are halfway through the season.

The points that Oz has been bringing up to everyone are on point. The Miata is overpowering in the corners an with its weight advantage along with tire wear. However, when there are 6 different cars to choose from making them perfectly matched is very improbable with different drivers at the helm of each one. It is also very time consuming to make them perfectly matched. I can't run the VW or Hondas as fast as Nail or Flip; for that fact as fast as Timeee was when he was still in this league. I can not either come anywhere near to the times that Oz is posting on the BMW in any races we have run.

With a re-regulation halfway through the season it would delay a lot of practice an tuning for everyone. With this all though, I feel that when we run the next series I would like to be involved in regging and I hope that everyone wants to be involved in it. I am having a blast racing with everyone here and keep learning new techniques and lines along with driving styles from everyone, which is the main reason why I joined in on this league.

All the cars are evenly matched other than the miata. Are we allowed to switch to the miata if no regs are being changed?

I think this is a good compromise being the fact that we are halfway through the season.

The points that Oz has been bringing up to everyone are on point. The Miata is overpowering in the corners an with its weight advantage along with tire wear. However, when there are 6 different cars to choose from making them perfectly matched is very improbable with different drivers at the helm of each one. It is also very time consuming to make them perfectly matched. I can't run the VW or Hondas as fast as Nail or Flip; for that fact as fast as Timeee was when he was still in this league. I can not either come anywhere near to the times that Oz is posting on the BMW in any races we have run.

With a re-regulation halfway through the season it would delay a lot of practice an tuning for everyone. With this all though, I feel that when we run the next series I would like to be involved in regging and I hope that everyone wants to be involved in it. I am having a blast racing with everyone here and keep learning new techniques and lines along with driving styles from everyone, which is the main reason why I joined in on this league.

I would have loved to have more people involved in making the regs before we started the series. Think was there was no interest in this thing until about four weeks before we started. I thought I had everything figured out, but racing brought out some problems I didn't foresee. I honestly do hate backpedaling and making changes mid season. But it's what we gotta do sometimes.

I've got something possibly up my sleeve for when this is over. So let's just say, I'll be in touch with you guys.

You will not be allowed to switch cars.
I had a very small session to figure some things out last night at Indy. And unless I don't have a decent setup on my Miata, I was not two seconds a lap faster in it. In fact, I'm still faster in the VW by about 4 tenths. I'm giving it a shot, and I'm really being honest about this: I do not seeing what the issue with the car is. Other than how it treats its tires. I can't help if some of the faster guys in the series chose to drive one. Nor did I not want to block people from using whatever car they wanted.

The miata runs 1:35's at Indy. No other car will do that.

I'm Tired of the whining.. ill run Thursday using the proposed weight restrictions of X weight and we will see how I do compared to the rest of the cars running.. Ive had a podium 6 out of the 8 races that we've run so id say I'm consistently fast with the Miata

I'm Tired of the whining.. ill run Thursday using the proposed weight restrictions of X weight and we will see how I do compared to the rest of the cars running.. Ive had a podium 6 out of the 8 races that we've run so id say I'm consistently fast with the Miata
There isn't any weight restrictions.

its not just the car for example flip he say that he is faster in the vw
But flip is an absolute master with ff....it takes allot of seat time and actual understanding of the physics of how to drive on the edge with ff. Take a look at the BTCC and the FIA guys...once they MASTER it they never are out of a drive. Flip is at least 2 seconds a lap faster than me being totally new with very little seat time. I understand how to do it...i just can't because I have to think about it while an experienced driver does it naturally. Sure Flip is as fast as the fastest Miata... But the car has little to do with it. On the other hand an average driver will be Much faster in the Miata than with any ff car because of the learning curve. Lets race. (But this sucker is history...my team wants 4wd...now there is a thought)

Sure Flip is as fast as the fastest Miata..
Is he? My fastest lap at apricot Hill was a 1:21.3xx. What was his best lap out of the 40 laps you guys did? What was anyone's best lap in any car besides the miata? It think it's the car.

Back