GT2 Le Mans Challenge

• Thread starter Matej
  • 43 comments

Matej

Premium
Croatia
Zagreb
This is a small challenge I had in mind for Gran Turismo 2 fans; I don't know whether this will attract anyone or not but it's worth trying. Rules are similar to those from GT4 forum and it's current challenges we're doing so if someone gets confused, he should check them out.

Rules:

1.) All races must be done on GT2 Simulation disc

2.) Each player may choose two vehicles, one from each of the following sheets:
Group A:
Lotus Esprit GT1
TVR Cerbera 4.5
Mitsubishi 3000GT LM Edition '99
Jaguar XJ220 Race Car
Lister Storm V12
Toyota Chaser TRD Sports X30
Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport '96
Dodge Viper RT/10
TRD 3000GT

Group B:
Nismo Skyline R33 GT-R LM Road Car
Nissan 300ZX Ver S Turbo '94/'95 (it should give you around 630 hp with famous LM liveries)
Mitsubishi 3000GT LM Edition '96 (614 hp in stock form)
Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 30th Anniv
Mazda Cosmo Type-E (not to be confused with weaker version, Type-S)
Venturi Atlantique 400GT
Mazda RX-7 RZ '96 (it should give you green/orange race mode as an option)
Honda NSX Type S Zero '97
Aston Martin DB7 Coupe

3.) There are some tuning rules that you should follow:

-Maximum horsepower of chosen vehicle must be below 630 hp
-Racing Modifications and Weight Reduction must be applied (we're representing LM cars after all)
-Racing Hard tires only
-Other tuning parts and ways of setting your car are allowed​

4.) Once you pick your vehicle post your acceptance in this thread, along with the full name of your vehicle's choice.

Current Entries:
Code:
Player -------------------- Car ------------------
Jeffgoddin       Mazda RX-7 RZ '96, TRD 3000GT
Matej            Lister Storm V12, Nismo Skyline R33 GT-R LM Road Car
T3hgt3ftw1n      Dodge Viper RT/10, Aston Martin DB7
Kingofweasles    Jaguar XJ220, Mitsubishi 3000GT LM '96
5.) In order to participate you need to complete events listed in Events Schedule; complete each event and submit total time (it shows on first screen after race finishes) to Matej via PM. You can submit as many times as you wish and I'll count your best times.

6.) Like in real-life 24h Le Mans events, instead of points, we're going to aim for best in its own class which means that all groups will be mixed up together and even if your position is quite low, you can still be declared as a winner by beating the other cars from your group. Basically, the more victories you have, the more praise you should receive.

7.) You should keep two wheels on the track all the time (rumble strips are part of the track) and avoid collision with AI cars or walls as much as possible. Sand areas on Laguna Seca and Super Speedway are not part of the track. Same goes for small green areas on Rome Circuit (usually seen behind rumble strips on some corners).

8.) Wall-riding and any other cheat driving methods are forbidden. GameShark and other cheating tools are also forbidden.

Events Schedule

All Star Race
Code:
Super Speedway - 5 laps
Special Stage Route 5 - 5 laps
Red Rock Valley - 5 laps
Rome Circuit - 5 laps
Laguna Seca - 5 laps
Endurance Hall
Code:
Special Stage Route 5 All Night - 50 laps

Le Mans Results
Code:
[CENTER]Super Speedway

[U]Pos - Class - Driver ------ Car ------- Total Time[/U]
1st     A      Matej      Storm V12       2'47.448
2nd     A      King         XJ220         2'51.772
3rd     B      Jeff         RX-7          2'53.059
4th     B      King      3000GT LM '96    2'53.757
5th     B      Matej      R33 GT-R LM     3'01.934

Super Speedway Group A Winner: [I]Matej[/I]; Group B Winner: [I]Jeffgoddin[/I]

Special Stage Route 5

1st     A      King         XJ220         6'32.118
2nd     B      King      3000GT LM '96    6'32.272
3rd     A      Matej      Storm V12       6'32.427
4th     B      Jeff         RX-7          6'37.357
5th     B      Matej      R33 GT-R LM     6'46.800

Special Stage Route 5 Group A Winner: [I]Kingofweasles[/I]; Group B Winner: [I]Kingofweasles[/I]

Red Rock Valley 

1st     A      Matej      Storm V12       5'54.662
2nd     A      King         XJ220         5'55.021
3rd     B      Jeff         RX-7          5'56.940
4th     B      King      3000GT LM '96    5'59.825
5th     B      Matej      R33 GT-R LM     6'09.402

Red Rock Valley Group A Winner: [I]Matej[/I]; Group B Winner: [I]Jeffgoddin[/I]

Rome Circuit

1st     A      King         XJ220         6'33.504
2nd     B      Jeff         RX-7          6'38.632
3rd     B      King      3000GT LM '96    6'40.712
4th     A      Matej      Storm V12       6'42.079
5th     B      Matej      R33 GT-R LM     6'54.604

Rome Circuit Group A Winner: [I]Kingofweasles[/I]; Group B Winner: [I]Jeffgoddin[/I]

Laguna Seca

1st     A      King         XJ220         6'20.522
2nd     B      King       3000GT LM '96   6'27.247
3rd     B      Jeff         RX-7          6'29.255
4th     A      Matej      Storm V12       6'34.127
5th     B      Matej      R33 GT-R LM     6'38.688

Laguna Seca Group A Winner: [I]Kingofweasles[/I]; Group B Winner: [I]Kingofweasles[/I]

SSR5 All Night Endurance Event

1st     A      King         XJ220        1:05'57.2
2nd     A      Matej      Storm V12      1:06'29.3
3rd     B      King      3000GT LM '96   1:06'55.0
4th     B      Jeff         RX-7         1:07'28.5
5th     B      Matej      R33 GT-R LM    1:08'59.8

SSR5 All Night Group A Winner: [I]Kingofweasles[/I]; Group B Winner: [I]Kingofweasles[/I]

[U]Le Mans Statistic:[/U]
Overall victories:

Kingofweasles (7 wins)
Jeffgoddin (3 wins)
Matej (2 wins)

[/CENTER]

9.) Deadline is on 8th October 2012. Post your times until then.

Last edited:
I'm definitely intrested in competing in this, but I feel that the car selection is a liitle too unbalanced: The Lotus Elise GT1 is a faster car than every other one in the competition (With the Jaguar XJ220 being the only other car that's remotely close lap time-wise) and has better tire wear than any other car in the competition; The Acura/Honda NSX and Aston Martin DB7 are quite a tad bit slower than any other car in the competition and while I applaud you for including the Tom's Chaser (One of my favorite sedans in all of GT2), I think the TRD 3000GT would be a better fit for the competition's theme (Because while the livery that the car has never ran at Lemans, the car itself did in 1996).

Again, just my 2 cents and I'm not trying to detract from what you're doing with this competition in any way, shape or form! (GT2 doesn't get enough love for having stuff like this going on anymore...)

I'm definitely intrested in competing in this, but I feel that the car selection is a liitle too unbalanced: The Lotus Elise GT1 is a faster car than every other one in the competition (With the Jaguar XJ220 being the only other car that's remotely close lap time-wise) and has better tire wear than any other car in the competition; The Acura/Honda NSX and Aston Martin DB7 are quite a tad bit slower than any other car in the competition and while I applaud you for including the Tom's Chaser (One of my favorite sedans in all of GT2), I think the TRD 3000GT would be a better fit for the competition's theme (Because while the livery that the car has never ran at Lemans, the car itself did in 1996).

Again, just my 2 cents and I'm not trying to detract from what you're doing with this competition in any way, shape or form! (GT2 doesn't get enough love for having stuff like this going on anymore...)
No problem, you're more than welcome to point on any mistakes.

I do agree with you that Elise GT1 is a bit faster then anyone else (it was tested recently), so I'm gonna discard it.

NSX is quite weak in terms of power but I really hope that it's handling will make up for that (same goes for RX-7 and DB7).

The reason why I wanted to include Chaser was due to it's full aero kits (despite the fact that he never ran any Le Mans event); it really looks like typical pumped-up LM car. :D

I wanted to include Supra model, but since I was searching for specific liveries (here) that were probably only available in GT1, I think I will include TRD 3000GT (after all, it's body kit looks little better than on standard Supra).

Basically, my target is to gather mid-level LM class cars while also searching for realistic liveries and body kits. Good examples are RX-7 and Camaro; they never saw lights of la Sarthe but they really look cool after you add some racing modifications. Currently I'm thinking to include Venturi 400GT or/and Mazda Eunos Cosmo.

No problem, you're more than welcome to point on any mistakes.

I do agree with you that Elise GT1 is a bit faster then anyone else (it was tested recently), so I'm gonna discard it.

NSX is quite weak in terms of power but I really hope that it's handling will make up for that (same goes for RX-7 and DB7).

The reason why I wanted to include Chaser was due to it's full aero kits (despite the fact that he never ran any Le Mans event); it really looks like typical pumped-up LM car. :D

I wanted to include Supra model, but since I was searching for specific liveries (here) that were probably only available in GT1, I think I will include TRD 3000GT (after all, it's body kit looks little better than on standard Supra).

Basically, my target is to gather mid-level LM class cars while also searching for realistic liveries and body kits. Good examples are RX-7 and Camaro; they never saw lights of la Sarthe but they really look cool after you add some racing modifications. Currently I'm thinking to include Venturi 400GT or/and Mazda Eunos Cosmo.

Hmm... Well, the NSX and RX-7 have really good handling, so they should stay. The DB7, well... Everyone loves an underdog, right?:sly::) The Cosmo is kind of a ponderous car; I've never gotten a fully-tuned version to run as fast as a fully-tuned Tom's Chaser, though that's from my own personal experiences and I''m not exactly the best at tuning cars... (I do know that the Cosmo has less overall downforce than the Chaser and is around 300Lbs heavier.)

As for the Venturi, I know that quite a few Venturi 400GT's ran at Lemans in 1993-'94, though they were already out-classed in real-life by faster opposition by '95... They're pretty fast cars in GT2 though, despite a relative lack of horsepower (I remember writing a race report chronicling how I used one to win the Special Stage Route 5 All-Night Enduro).

If you want to get a look at the various cars that have been at Lemans over the years to get som ideas, I'd suggest going to this website:

http://www.lemans-history.com/index3.php?

It's a site dedicated to having a photographic archive of EVERY car that entered the Lemans 24 Hours, regardless of whether said cars raced or not. Just click the "English version" butoon on the homepage, select "Entry List" under the "Teams" banner and knock yourself out. :cheers:

Also, I'd recomend including any of the 90's Chevrolet Corvettes (The ZR-1 '95, Coupe '95 or Grand Sport '96) and either the TVR Cerbera Speed 6/4.2/4.5 or the Griffith 500/Blackpool B430 (J). The Mitsubishi 3000GT LM you get from "Golding" the I-C Licenses would also fit, but it's probably too hard to get...

First of all, thanks for the link. 👍 There are some interesting vehicles on there, especially Corvette ZR-1 from 1995, for which I didn't know it had any relationship with Le Mans event. Nice, I'll add one of the Corvette models right away !

Each event must have at least one underdog, so DB7 will fit nice, I'm sure. I'll also add Venturi 400GT since it's handling is quite...hm...nice, so it should join together with top-handling cars. Mazda Eunos Cosmo with it's unique appearance will also join the field. It might be ponderous (and elegant too :sly:) but it's quite quick and it definitely deserves some attention.

Subaru Alcyone SVX would fit nice, but it's too slow (less then 400 hp I think) for LM guys. :(

TVR Tuscan Speed 6 looks cheap (although it appears on LM events) but TVR Cerbera 4.5 doesn't so I might add Cerbera for now.

I'd play, too, and could help balance the competition by providing a time bonus/penalty depending on the car's expected performance based on weight and peak power.

Assuming a goal of 2.1 kg/hp, take the times submitted for a car (in seconds) and multiply by the factor listed below. Say 6 minutes for an event in an NSX Type S Zero. 300 seconds * 0.9836 = 5:55.075. For the Esprit GT1 this would become 6:07.573. This is assuming the cars are either fully tuned or tuned to 640hp max.

NSX Type S Zero ------> *0.9836
DB7 Coupe ------> *0.9799
Camaro Z/28 30th Anniv ------> *1.0002
Corvette Grand Sport '96 ------> *1.0073
Viper RT/10 ------> *1.0068
XJ220 ------> *1.0105
Lister Storm V12 ------> *1.0102
Esprit GT1 ------> *1.0252
Cosmo E-Type ------> *1.0001
RX-7 RZ '96 ------> *0.9890
300ZX Ver S Turbo '94/'95 ------> *1.0047
Skyline R33 GT-R LM Road Car ------> *1.0051
Chaser TRD Sports X30 ------> *1.0086
TRD 3000GT ------> *1.0066
Cerbera 4.5 ------> *1.0147
Atlantique 400GT ------> *0.9935

Note that also close to 2.1 kg/hp you find:

GT40 / GT 40 [R]
Vector W8
3000GT's (GTO's) including LM Edition '98
FTO LM
Saleen SR
NSX GT's
the FR Impreza

jeffgoddin
I'd play, too, and could help balance the competition by providing a time bonus/penalty depending on the car's expected performance based on weight and peak power.

Assuming a goal of 2.1 kg/hp, take the times submitted for a car (in seconds) and multiply by the factor listed below. Say 6 minutes for an event in an NSX Type S Zero. 300 seconds * 0.9836 = 5:55.075. For the Esprit GT1 this would become 6:07.573. This is assuming the cars are either fully tuned or tuned to 640hp max.
This might be a bit complicated technique to perform and, as you said, it's not sure whether all players will tune their own vehicles to maximum possible state or not.
Maybe each driver should pick two cars, one from lower level, another from higher level while also observing one simple rule: skillful drivers - worse cars, slower drivers - better cars; in both cases. After all, I'm sure that plenty of listed cars will remain untouchable since not many players still roam around GT2.

By the way, 3000GT LM Edition is in. :D

3000GT '99 you get random from Laguna Seca Enduro, '98 you get from golding the I-C License Tests.

I'll take the RX-7 Type RZ '96 and TRD3000GT as my two cars.

And by my reckoning the list of cars sorted best to worst and split in half is:

Best 9:
Esprit GT1
Cerbera 4.5
3000GT LM '99
XJ220
Lister Storm V12
Chaser TRD Sports X30
Corvette Grand Sport '96
Viper RT/10
TRD 3000GT

Last 9:
Skyline R33 GT-R LM Road Car
300ZX Ver S Turbo '94/'95
3000GT LM '98
Camaro Z/28 30th Anniv
Cosmo E-Type
Atlantique 400GT
RX-7 RZ '96
NSX Type S Zero
DB7 Coupe

Ok then, we should use Jeffgoddin's sheet above as a reference. Each driver needs to pick two cars, one from the Best 9 list, one from the Last 9 list.

By the way, is it really true that 3000GT LM '99 is slower then Esprit and Cerbera despite having around 689 hp and 4wd system? I sold mine long time ago accidentally, so I can't check that right now but if that's really true we could make an exception and add him to the list (it owns 50 hp more than the rule allows).

Jeffgoddin
I'll take the RX-7 Type RZ '96 and TRD3000GT as my two cars.
Ok, I'll sign you in.

I'll pronounce my choice after I do some testing.

The '99 3000GT yes has more than 640hp, but it's also heavy, 1300kg, so by weight-to-power it lands 3rd on the list.

But FYI, if you had two cars, same weight, same engine, same body, same suspension, but one is FR and the other 4WD, the FR version will be faster by a fair bit. With 4WD you give up acceleration in exchange for stability and control, which will make it easier to get close to the best potential lap for the car, but the best potential will be faster in the FR.

But I guess I'm used to doing flying hot lap comparisons, so by making us do whole races against AI cars, the 4WD's regularity may be the FR's extra acceleration. All it takes is one spin in a tail-happy FR in the race to wipe out any speed advantage it had over the slow-but-steady 4WD. Especially at SSR5 All Night... where none of us will want to do it more than once. In the All Star Events, I'll probably run the races 3-4 times until I get a clean run.

Ok, I'll add 3000GT '99 to the list. This makes our list fully complete.

Jeffgoddin
But I guess I'm used to doing flying hot lap comparisons, so by making us do whole races against AI cars, the 4WD's regularity may be the FR's extra acceleration. All it takes is one spin in a tail-happy FR in the race to wipe out any speed advantage it had over the slow-but-steady 4WD
That's the reason why I love this game more then GT4; FR cars actually do have some disadvantages and since our scheduled circuits are ranging from pure flat to bumpy ones I think we should expect some very close races. My predictions are that even the slowest cars in the group will be very competent on some circuits.

EDIT: I think I'll take Lister Storm V12 for now.

Last edited:
My Reaction

" This looks fun "

looks at car list

" WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT NO VIPER GTS "

My Reaction

" This looks fun "

looks at car list

" WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT NO VIPER GTS "

Frodo-confused.jpg

If you like Dodge Vipers so much, then why not race the RT/10?:):sly:

You can count me in for this championship. I'll be taking the Viper RT/10 and the DB7 Coupe.

And by the way, you've got the All-Star lineup incorrect, it's: Super Speedway, SSR5, Red Rock Valley, Rome Circuit and Laguna Seca.
Just my two cents :sly:.

Why would you use Viper GTS when you have charismatic RT/10 with real-life Le Mans liveries ? :sly:

Hey now, there was a car entered at Lemans that sort-of shares the Viper GTS's RM (Just with a Union Jack instead):sly::

viper64c97.jpg

lm9764.jpg

After much deliberation, I'm formally entering this series with the Jaguar XJ220 Race Car and the Mitsubishi 3000GT LM '96. :cheers:

EDIT: I've decided to change my 2nd car entry. Thanks again to Matej for allowing me to do this! :cheers:

Last edited:
T3hgt3ftw1n
And by the way, you've got the All-Star lineup incorrect, it's: Super Speedway, SSR5, Red Rock Valley, Rome Circuit and Laguna Seca.
Just my two cents :sly:.
Yeah, yeah...(ignoring the message :sly:)... I'll sign you in, welcome !
Kingofweasles
Hey now, there was a car entered at Lemans that sort-of shares the Viper GTS's RM (Just with a Union Jack instead):sly::
That's true, and red/white combination refers to later Oreca models. However, I didn't wanted to have different versions of the same car, so I decided to use model which, in my opinion, provides more authentic appearance (since GTS model is much popular).

Currently we have four registered participants. I have also updated rule #7.

Last edited:
While I would love to join this series right away, I unfortunately lost my PS1 memory card :(! Once I find it, I'll enter the series with the NSX Type S Zero '97 and the TRD 3000GT :).

While I would love to join this series right away, I unfortunately lost my PS1 memory card :(! Once I find it, I'll enter the series with the NSX Type S Zero '97 and the TRD 3000GT :).
Ok, I'll sign you in once you find your memory card. Good luck ! :)

Kingofweasles also decided to swap his Venturi for 3000GT LM '96.

And, how is everybody doing on this challenge ? I still need to complete SSR5 enduro and then I'll move on to next car. So far I have positive thoughts about the Lister, but the final verdict will come after I see how he good he really is when it comes to tire wear management.

By the way, tire wear factor is available when you go to test run mode in SSR5 enduro event. Very useful thing to know. 👍

I started up some preliminary testing last night and did the first two GT All-Stars races. It was during that testing that I found out that while the Venturi is pretty fast among the "Tier 2" cars, it's also about as friendly to drive as a stock TVR Speed 12 on Hard Slicks. :crazy:

Which is why I've decided to race the Mitsubishi 3000GT LM '96 (The "Tier 2" version) instead; While it's around half a second slower per lap than the Venturi (Or at least it is at the moment; I've got to fiddle with the set-up some more to try and tone down the Mitsu's understeer), it's an much easier car to drive and I can focus on putting down solid, consistent laps instead of expecting the car to spin out at every corner.

As for the Jaguar, even though the power has to stock for this competition (Asa Stage 1 Turbocharger sees the power jump from 541 HP to 645HP!), it's absoluely MEGA under braking and through corners!

I've also tested a few other cars that interested me for fun, but I'm very happy with my choices. I also haven't done any tire-wear testing yet, but I'm expecting the Mitsubishi to be fairly good on it's tires despite it's weight (I've tested this car as a possible write-up for the Laguna Seca 200 Enduro and got around 15-20 Laps on a set of Hard Slicks there...).

Well, the XJ200 left at 541hp should be about the same as the Atlantique 400GT, tuned to 645hp it would stay where it is on the list, still between 3000GT LM '99 and Lister Storm. I'd say tune it to 645hp and leave it in the top list.

And, I take it the start has been signaled, so...

Have taken the RX-7 out to Super Speedway and SSR5 so far. And I won't say what my times were, but according to my calculations, if I ran the Lister Storm instead, in order to say that I brought out an equivalent potential/achieved similar performance results, Super Speedway would've taken 2:49.7 or so, and SSR5 about 6:29.65.

Last edited:
Jeffgoddin
Well, the XJ200 left at 541hp should be about the same as the Atlantique 400GT, tuned to 645hp it would stay where it is on the list, still between 3000GT LM '99 and Lister Storm. I'd say tune it to 645hp and leave it in the top list.
I still believe that Jaguar should stick with 545 hp. It's cornering can definitely outclass many cars on the list, especially those whose p/w ratio is above higher level.

I still believe that Jaguar should stick with 545 hp. It's cornering can definitely outclass many cars on the list, especially those whose p/w ratio is above higher level.

Exactly. If it had 645 HP instead of running 541 HP, the XJ220 would be the best car in the competition by a pretty big margin...

Actually, the Esprit GT1 is the best by a wide margin, and the 645hp XJ220 would be at the bottom of the next three (Cerbera, 3000GT LM '99, then XJ220). But yeah, it handles like a track bred racing prototype.

My RX-7 is through the GTAS events, and I'm now tuning the TRD3000GT. Have hp at 625 w/ turbo-4, muff-2, and engine balance.

Also, I did paint blue instead of silver for the RM on the Supra, was that right for LM?

Edit:

forgot about the TRD3000GT's, um, different engine character, compared to the excellent Supra RZ's fat power curve...

So, is it too late to switch to the Corvette Grand Sport?

Last edited:
Actually, the Esprit GT1 is the best by a wide margin, and the 645hp XJ220 would be at the bottom of the next three (Cerbera, 3000GT LM '99, then XJ220). But yeah, it handles like a track bred racing prototype.

My RX-7 is through the GTAS events, and I'm now tuning the TRD3000GT. Have hp at 625 w/ turbo-4, muff-2, and engine balance.

Also, I did paint blue instead of silver for the RM on the Supra, was that right for LM?

Actually, neither the Blue/White or Silver/White paint scheme ever ran at Lemans; The car that raced in 1996 by SARD was run in their distinctive Red & White livery:

toyota57c96.jpg

le_mans-1996-06-16-057.jpg

However, both of the TRD3000GT RM liveries raced during the first two years of the All-Japan GT Series (1994-'95)...

I'm back from the hiatus. :)

Actually, neither the Blue/White or Silver/White paint scheme ever ran at Lemans

The Blue/White car that Jeff meant was actually the PET car which run in JGTC around 1995-1996:

1996suzuka009.jpg

;)

And I'd like to take part this, if only I have the interest... :indiff:

Well, I dug through my entire house in hopes for my memory card, but I didn't see it anywhere. Thus, you can count me out of the race :indiff:.

Ahh, too bad.

But it only takes about an hour of playing from a fresh game start to be able to get any of these cars, except for the extra couple tedious hours of passing License tests to be able to race at GTAS and SSR5 All night...

Jeffgoddin
forgot about the TRD3000GT's, um, different engine character, compared to the excellent Supra RZ's fat power curve...

So, is it too late to switch to the Corvette Grand Sport?
Nope, it's not too late, you can still swap your vehicle if you want. I thought about putting a deadline on the 8th October 2012, but it's not official yet, we still need to see whether someone else will enter this challenge or not. So, yes, you still have time to mix up with cars and to rerun those races if you feel you need to. Should I sign you in with Corvette then ?

mySLKwilleatyou
Well, I dug through my entire house in hopes for my memory card, but I didn't see it anywhere. Thus, you can count me out of the race .
I still hope that it will pop out from somewhere, so that you can join us. :(

Nice pictures by the way, it's really wonderful to see how PD used to be creative and ingenious back in those days... :)

By the way, I'll take Nismo Skyline R33 GT-R LM Road Car for my next car.

Back