GT2 Le Mans Challenge

• Thread starter Matej
  • 43 comments
Two days left !!

Current submissions: Jeffgoddin, Kingofweasles

I have just finished with both endurance events thus, I'm done. Very fun experience with both cars, I'll write my full report once we reach end of this challenge. :)

Also, I have updated rule #6 regarding point scoring system.

Results are up ! Check post one for further details.

My apologies for the delay, I was busy yesterday, so I couldn't post those results on time.

Before we take a look on the results, we should check rule #6; Point system was discarded in the last moment in order to follow the spirit of LM events and it provides much fair competition and judging.

First of all, congratulations to Kingofweasles for taking the most victories by large margin. :gtpflag:

I would also like to thank you all for playing and supporting this challenge in this or that way, and for being such dangerous competitors. :)

cool! ran out of time to try the Corvette, but at Super Speedway it was a little slower than the RX-7, and only a little faster in the next event I tried. I was shocked, since by weight to power it should have been much faster. Kudos to the RX-7, I guess.

And great job KoW! I'll have to get back to this some time and try out some of the other cars against your times.

And thanks for hosting, Matej! Always up for a good ol' GT2 challenge!

Recently got my old GT2 spreadsheets off of my old hard drive that have been there since, well, Oct 2012... and found one titled "Matej's Lemans Challenge" that got me inspired. Didn't remember this thread at all until just now when I re-found it. So, I started running cars, except all on Super Softs (so now I realize I'll have to re-run the Corvette and RX-7 I'd tried already, since the times I had for those were on Hards...) And I expanded the list. And I did some research on what cars actually raced at Le Mans.

So, here's the list I'm currently testing/racing against myself: (*=actually at Le Mans)

*Lister Storm
Cerbera 4.5
*Skyline (we were using the R33 LM Road version but it's a dog so I'm going to try the R34 V-spec)
*Corvette (Callaway, ZR-1, and CR5 used, I'm going with the Grand Sport)
*Viper GTS (instead of Matej's RT/10)
*300ZX Ver S Turbo '94/'95
*Supra RZ '97 (better powerband, though sits a little higher than the TRD 3000GT)
Camaro Z/28 30th Anniv
*XJ220
*Atlantique 400GT
*RX-7 RS '98 (Matej had the RZ '96, not as good)
*NSX Type S Zero
DB7 Coupe
GT40 road car
Wiegert W8 TT
*CTR2 Sport (representing the many Porshes in Le Mans, though a RR RUF would be more appropriate)
3000GT VR-4 '99 (Mitsubishi was feeling left out...)

already pretty far along in testing, but not done. mostly just replying to remind myself where this thread is. not to spoil too much, but the Lister and Atlantique are just beasts so far, and the NSX is really quite surprising, too! Note that I use a formula to adjust my race times that applies penalties to cars with low weight-to-power, and takes time off for cars with high weight-to-power. I've used it a lot and it's pretty fair.

I just got a notification for this thread, wut. ANYWAY I recently went back to GT2 and I was wondering if we could do this again. I wasn't to participate the first time but I want to see if anyone would be up for it.

Wow, you two are still interested in giving it a go?!? Thought I was just going to be talking to myself here...

Well, if you don't mind, can we use Super Softs instead of Hards? Though in the Enduro choose whatever tire you think gives you the best combination of grip and longevity.

And feel free to tune to whatever hp you like, if you don't mind, I'll try my formula to adjust, see if you think it's fair. But the hp goals for 2.1 kg/hp are: (tuning close to this would mean no penalty/adjustment, not always possible though)

Lister Storm 581hp (has more than this stock, so time added)
Cerbera 4.5 492hp
Corvette Grand Sport 596hp
Viper GTS 606hp
300ZX Ver S Turbo '94/'95 605hp
Camaro Z/28 30th Anniv 614hp
XJ220 563hp (you only get 541hp, so time taken off)
Atlantique 400GT 509hp (you only get 476hp, so time taken off)
NSX Type S Zero 531hp (you need PAL to race mod, and only get 444hp)
DB7 Coupe 665hp (you only get 531hp, and a terrible powerband, so I wouldn't use this one...)
GT40 road version 499hp (closest I got was 545hp, so time added)
Skyline R34 V-spec 613hp
Supra RZ '97 600hp
RX-7 RS '98 534hp
Wiegert W8 TT 627hp
CTR2 Sport 578hp
3000GT VR-4 '99 643hp

hmmm, and after testing, for groups I'd put the real race cars together, and then the guys with higher stock rideheight and lower race trim downforce together, call them GT1 and GT2. Note that none of these cars start their lives as [R] cars, but all of them are [R] moddable, though the Wiegert and RUF both have fixed race-trim downforce to begin with, and the GT40 comes with everything but weight reduction and race mod. So this is basically an non-prototype Le Mans challenge. If we wanted to do LMP classes as well, that would be a whole different story.

GT1:
Lister Storm
Cerbera 4.5
XJ220
Atlantique 400GT
Wiegert W8 TT
GT40 Road Version

GT2:
Corvette Grand Sport
Viper GTS
300ZX Ver S Turbo '94/'95
Camaro Z/28 30th Anniv
NSX Type S Zero
DB7 Coupe
Skyline R34 V-spec
Supra RZ '97
RX-7 RS '98
CTR2 Sport
3000GT VR-4 '99

So I'd say, pick one from GT1 and two from GT2, report the hp you tuned to and the best times you get running the real race in simulation. I guess PM me so I can do the formula and compile results. Same races as before, the GT All Stars. If you guys are up to doing the SSR5 all night as well, we can do that, too.

Wow, you two are still interested in giving it a go?!? Thought I was just going to be talking to myself here...

Well, if you don't mind, can we use Super Softs instead of Hards? Though in the Enduro choose whatever tire you think gives you the best combination of grip and longevity.

And feel free to tune to whatever hp you like, if you don't mind, I'll try my formula to adjust, see if you think it's fair. But the hp goals for 2.1 kg/hp are: (tuning close to this would mean no penalty/adjustment, not always possible though)

Lister Storm 581hp (has more than this stock, so time added)
Cerbera 4.5 492hp
Corvette Grand Sport 596hp
Viper GTS 606hp
300ZX Ver S Turbo '94/'95 605hp
Camaro Z/28 30th Anniv 614hp
XJ220 563hp (you only get 541hp, so time taken off)
Atlantique 400GT 509hp (you only get 476hp, so time taken off)
NSX Type S Zero 531hp (you need PAL to race mod, and only get 444hp)
DB7 Coupe 665hp (you only get 531hp, and a terrible powerband, so I wouldn't use this one...)
GT40 road version 499hp (closest I got was 545hp, so time added)
Skyline R34 V-spec 613hp
Supra RZ '97 600hp
RX-7 RS '98 534hp
Wiegert W8 TT 627hp
CTR2 Sport 578hp
3000GT VR-4 '99 643hp

hmmm, and after testing, for groups I'd put the real race cars together, and then the guys with higher stock rideheight and lower race trim downforce together, call them GT1 and GT2. Note that none of these cars start their lives as [R] cars, but all of them are [R] moddable, though the Wiegert and RUF both have fixed race-trim downforce to begin with, and the GT40 comes with everything but weight reduction and race mod. So this is basically an non-prototype Le Mans challenge. If we wanted to do LMP classes as well, that would be a whole different story.

GT1:
Lister Storm
Cerbera 4.5
XJ220
Atlantique 400GT
Wiegert W8 TT
GT40 Road Version

GT2:
Corvette Grand Sport
Viper GTS
300ZX Ver S Turbo '94/'95
Camaro Z/28 30th Anniv
NSX Type S Zero
DB7 Coupe
Skyline R34 V-spec
Supra RZ '97
RX-7 RS '98
CTR2 Sport
3000GT VR-4 '99

So I'd say, pick one from GT1 and two from GT2, report the hp you tuned to and the best times you get running the real race in simulation. I guess PM me so I can do the formula and compile results. Same races as before, the GT All Stars. If you guys are up to doing the SSR5 all night as well, we can do that, too.
I'd be up for it. Only problem is I don't have the time (or patience) to do the SSR5 enduro. Maybe we can substitute for another 5 race series. Like the GT World Championship in the GT League.

We can just leave it at these 5 events... could add the 1st round of GT World for Trial Mountain and make it a 6 race/6 track competition though. GT500 is the other "Free" class event, but it duplicates 3 of the 5 in GT All Stars. Even GT World duplicates 2 from GT All Stars. So I don't think adding either of those complete series would be worth the hassle... up to you guys really though. If either, I'd lean towards adding GT World.

I'm seconding just running the GT All Stars races as well Jeff. Also, are there going to be handicaps to certain car's times (Hence the curious "Time Added" after a few of them in the listing)?

I'm seconding just running the GT All Stars races as well Jeff. Also, are there going to be handicaps to certain car's times (Hence the curious "Time Added" after a few of them in the listing)?
That's one thing I'm confused about. What's with the time added thing?

Back what I said on the first page, actually. My old spreadsheet still has all that worked in. Basically, for every 10% above or below weight to power ratio goal (2.1 kg/hp here) you add or subtract 1% from your time to make it approximately fair. I found this to be true testing multiple cars at multiple tracks under multiple tuning states, and everything else being the same, just adjusting hp, over and over again, same car, 10% more power, 1% faster around the track.

Two examples from my testing in this competition

Cerbera 4.5 tuned to 564 hp by my calcs needed to have its time multiplied by 1.0146, so at Super Speedway its 166.535 became 168.967.

Altantique 400GT tuned all the way up was still short on power, so by my calcs I multiplied its time by 0.9935, so at Super Speedway its 169.716 became 168.614.

I used those two because they're both epic cars, but with very different weight to power ratios. Before adjustment, the Cerbera wins by 3+ seconds, but it's not really a fair comparison, is it? With the adjustment the Atlantique wins by 0.35 second, very close, and probably right, the Atlantique is a beast with massive downforce.

It's really best to tune as close as possible to the hp guide I listed above so there's no need for adjustments, but when not possible, as with the Atlantique 400GT and NSX Type S Zero, the adjustment does a fair job of making them competitive. Kind of like making fast cars carry ballast to give the over guys a fair chance.

Latest Posts

Back