GT2 on PS3

• Thread starter OldF@rt
  • 35 comments
Enjoying (despite its flaws) GT5 and bought a second-hand PS2 to play a second-hand GT4 on.

I'd like to move further back in time and also have a look at GT2. Two questions:

1. how well does it run on a PS3 (current slim version)?
2. where's the best place to get a (legit) copy? (Second-hand games places near me only go back to PS2 games).

Ta!

I played gt2 for about 2 minutes back when i 1st got my ps3 slim 120gig in november... it was so bad looking on my monitor i just turned it off. I may give it another go just for giggles later. I dont think it detected my wheel when i tried to run it.

I wish the slimworked with ps2 games...

I'm currently playing GT2 on my PS3, I personally dont think it looks that bad, and once you get into playing it you really dont care about the graphics.

Its still the pinnacle of GT for me.

My only problem with it is that the load times are a bit slower than they are on my PS2/PSP. Otherwise, I think it plays great. I think putting in a widescreen mode is quite impressive for when the game came out.

I thought the slims couldn't play games from the legacy systems, and that functionality was only in the fat PS3s, which is why they were fat.

It runs fine - you can even upscale/smooth the ps1 graphics (kinda) in ur ps3's Game Settings menu.

The physics are much reduced obviously compared to gt5 but for its time it was amazing. I think I've probably played gt2 the most out of the whole series so far ^^

The only thing keeping me from playing GT2 is lack of game save. GT5 takes up way too much time to get back into it.

Anyone know where to get a decent North American game save? Everything I find online is PAL only...

If you want a GT2 game save, I think there is some on this site, if not try Gamefaqs. I think there is a PS1 memory card program online where you can convert your PAL save to work on your NTSC Ps1. You need to know the game id. For the PS3, you just have to look hard and you'll find some decent save games.

EDIT: I guess I shouldn't have said that.
Well I remember on the PS1 i didn't have a memory card so I would leave it on for weeks just so I don't lose my stuff :P
All I did was make money...

Last edited:
I Remember that the best cars to buy were the Nissan Pulsar GTi and the Toyota Supra ... Both costed around 4k, 5k, so you could easily tune up to 300bhp ...

The only thing keeping me from playing GT2 is lack of game save. GT5 takes up way too much time to get back into it.

Anyone know where to get a decent North American game save? Everything I find online is PAL only...

GT2 won't take long to get back into at all. Just start it and go. Just a few races and you'll have your first race car and it'll go from there.

Hi guys, this is my first post here.
I bought GT2 to play on my PS3 Slim but I cant get the analog sticks to work. Tgere could be an easy solution iv missed but any help on how to get them working would be much appreciated!

chrismcr5
Hi guys, this is my first post here.
I bought GT2 to play on my PS3 Slim but I cant get the analog sticks to work. Tgere could be an easy solution iv missed but any help on how to get them working would be much appreciated!

Welcome!

Make sure you turn the analgue sticks on. Back in the days there used to be a button between the analogues to switch them on.

Wille the game is running, press and hold the PS button to accesse more options. Under controller options, select between digital and analogue.

Also, some PSone games require you to do the same on their options menu.

Welcome!

Make sure you turn the analgue sticks on. Back in the days there used to be a button between the analogues to switch them on.

Wille the game is running, press and hold the PS button to accesse more options. Under controller options, select between digital and analogue.

Also, some PSone games require you to do the same on their options menu.

Thanks for the advice! working well now :)

I bought GT2 few months ago to play on PS3, but I gave it up because of control (its roughness and sensitivity) of almost any car in this game.

It is impossible for me to drive, steer and turn smoothly. I don't remember having such difficulties playing this game on PS1 over ten years ago.

Maybe it has something to do with DS3 (its sensitivity)?

I bought GT2 few months ago to play on PS3, but I gave it up because of control (its roughness and sensitivity) of almost any car in this game.

It is impossible for me to drive, steer and turn smoothly. I don't remember having such difficulties playing this game on PS1 over ten years ago.

Maybe it has something to do with DS3 (its sensitivity)?

It's due to software emulation build in ps3. PS3 is not PS1, I've noticed that in wipeout 2097 and wip3out. Those ships behave different from ps1. I think you just witness the same thing but in GT2

It's due to software emulation build in ps3. PS3 is not PS1, I've noticed that in wipeout 2097 and wip3out. Those ships behave different from ps1. I think you just witness the same thing but in GT2

It doesn't matter whether I use the D-pad or analog. The same trouble occured while playing GT1 on PS3. So you're right, it's caused by PS3 software. Sad. So many great tracks and cars (Vector W8), and they are almost undriveable on PS3.

It doesn't matter whether I use the D-pad or analog. The same trouble occured while playing GT1 on PS3. So you're right, it's caused by PS3 software. Sad. So many great tracks and cars (Vector W8), and they are almost undriveable on PS3.

Granted, its been a few years, but I didn't have that problem when I played on PS3. I have been getting a few problems on PSP, however; I'm chalking that one up to the analog nub thing on it. I switched over to the dpad and had no problem.

In my experience, control is the only way in which a PS1 or a PS2 beat every other mean to play the game. Everything but the psx/ps2 gives you quite bad responsiveness, as when you touch the steer (digital mode) it turns too late, but too much; when you use analog, it just works as digital, with a dead zone which is too wide to keep the car going sharply.
The lack of any joystick plugin for epsxe and the way other emulators are done makes it impossible to achieve the original PS1 feel.
Either you play it this way (which I mostly do on my pc) or you buy a PS1, losing every graphics improvement to get this only aspect better.

I haven't had any problem with it so long as I use a PS3 controller or PSP to play PSX games. XBox 360 controllers never seem to work right, though.

The problem with playing GT2 on PS3 is that:
1) The smoothing filter screws the driving visuals up.
2) The gameplay isn't quite the same with the DS3's analog sticks have longer "throws" than with the old DS1/DS2 and you have pressure sensitive buttons and R2/L2 triggers on the DS3 that PS1 games didn't originally have or use, so you have extra analog/pressure-sensitive "throw" that is useless for playing PS1 games that don't have it. You might as well play with a DualShock 1 with no pressure sensitivity in the buttons but with analog sticks and vibration on the PS2.
(Even though the texture smoothing and faster disc loading doesn't work at all on the PS2 in particular with GT2.)
Not a HUGE difference, but you decide...I'd probably use either...

Last edited:
So, i ordered GT2 yesterday..i have an chunky old PS3 2006 model, i dont know the memory, but i think its 250g..will it play it ok? or will i need to get a PS1??

If it's a PSX game, then it will play it the same regardless of the version of PS3 it is.

2) The gameplay isn't quite the same with the DS3's analog sticks have longer "throws" than with the old DS1/DS2 and you have pressure sensitive buttons and R2/L2 triggers on the DS3 that PS1 games didn't originally have or use, so you have extra analog/pressure-sensitive "throw" that is useless for playing PS1 games that don't have it. You might as well play with a DualShock 1 with no pressure sensitivity in the buttons but with analog sticks and vibration on the PS2.

Most of this also applied to the DS2, and the long throw triggers that the DS3 has is actually a benefit once you get used to them because you can "slap" the triggers without having to move your fingers much at all. The main issue is accidentally shifting at that point.

Last edited:
If it's a PSX game, then it will play it the same regardless of the version of PS3 it is.

Most of this also applied to the DS2, and the long throw triggers that the DS3 has is actually a benefit once you get used to them because you can "slap" the triggers without having to move your fingers much at all. The main issue is accidentally shifting at that point.

Well, somebody else uses manual transmission besides me too. LOL

Anyway, well, I guess the triggers of the DS3 can make M-shifting easier, and it has a more interesting feel, even with a crappy "smoothing" filter with PSX emulation on the PS3. Plus, the texture smoothing only kind of works with playing on PS2, but I literally HEAR the PS2 disc drive pushing the GT2 disc to its limits to forcefully produce faster load times with which it doesn't even when i hear it wrestling the old late-life PS1 disc. LOL

Last edited:
So my copy of GT2 came through the post this earlier it plays fine on my PS3, but the controller messes it all up..when i acellerate, it goes up a few miles an hour then back down and my thumb is aching so much from pushing the x button so much! my controller is not a Sony DS3, its another branded one, do i need a new controller..or a PS1?

Back