GT2 Weekly Challenge: Special Events

• Thread starter gt3kid89
  • 180 comments
So, the FF Challenge round is under way!:gtpflag:

FF cars are one of the most common starter car choices, they're cheap and easy to handle. In this championship, the front wheel drive rules!:dopey:

Tracks:
Tahiti Road (246 hp)
Midfield Raceway (345 hp)
Trial Mountain (394 hp)

Yes, there is power limits, so choose and tune wisely:cool:

Have fun, one week for sending the times!

Edit:
No race bodies allowed and no race cars.

Last edited:
Yes, or if you don´t have much money, you can race in a previous event just for earning enough cash for buying and tuning your FF car

Yes, or if you don´t have much money, you can race in a previous event just for earning enough cash for buying and tuning your FF car

Not sure how this would work, sounds like you want it to be how it really is in GT2, where you go back and race events again to get more money. But this would mean that we could have as much money as we want to tune with... I could, say, go back and win Rome Circuit 10 times and have 70,000Cr more to tune with...

I'm guessing we're keeping the cars we started with in our garages for future use.

How about saying for the FF challenge, in addition to whatever money we had left after Clubman, we all get an extra 15,000Cr to tune with, to represent going back and winning some Clubman or Sunday events. What do you think?

I've been thinking about joining this lately. Apart from no race mods and no race cars, will there be any rules suck as credit limits (including the price of the car)? I probably have an FF car in my garage on my PS3 save file, but I'd rather get a little more information on how the FF rules will work before I attempt the challenge.

Not sure how this would work, sounds like you want it to be how it really is in GT2, where you go back and race events again to get more money. But this would mean that we could have as much money as we want to tune with... I could, say, go back and win Rome Circuit 10 times and have 70,000Cr more to tune with...

I'm guessing we're keeping the cars we started with in our garages for future use.

How about saying for the FF challenge, in addition to whatever money we had left after Clubman, we all get an extra 15,000Cr to tune with, to represent going back and winning some Clubman or Sunday events. What do you think?
Nice idea jeff!👍

I've been thinking about joining this lately. Apart from no race mods and no race cars, will there be any rules suck as credit limits (including the price of the car)? I probably have an FF car in my garage on my PS3 save file, but I'd rather get a little more information on how the FF rules will work before I attempt the challenge.
Go to page 1 for reading the basic rules. The credit limits were only on the Sunday and Clubman Cup, and power limits are there for a more challenging experience, tuning your car wisely for meeting the limit:sly:

Well, it does get complicated when new people join if we keep counting credits all the way back to the Sunday Cup...

I'd propose, since this is still just the FF Cup and early in the GT2 simulation career, that we stick to the handling equipment the AI uses, which is sports suspension and sports tires. And since gt3kid keeps saying that credits aren't supposed to be the issue here, it sounds like sky's the limit. No race modification, but beyond that, knock yourself out, so long as hp stays below the cap.

Is that about right?

Edit: actually, I think gt3kid is saying anything goes, so full race suspension and supersoft slicks...

Doesn't matter that you have millions of credits in your bank, you can still buy a little used or new car, tune it, while keeping it fair enough to meet the power limit and not to be an overkill for the AI as jeffgoddin says.:)👍

Doesn't matter that you have millions of credits in your bank, you can still buy a little used or new car, tune it, while keeping it fair enough to meet the power limit and not to be an overkill for the AI as jeffgoddin says.:)👍

Okay, so sports suspension and sports tires then.

Ok, that makes sense. As long as the car is reasonable, anything goes.

By the way, how do you know that the AI uses sports suspension and sports tires? Searching in the code of the game or what:confused:

There's an old thread by Sucahyo and a guide by Parnelli Bones I refer to. Sucahyo got it from code, Parnelli Bones from trial-and-error.

Edit: so I'm going ahead with my car of choice, 246hp for Tahiti, sports tires and suspension, but then everything else, brakes, brake balance controller, custom gears, triple plate clutch, racing flywheel, custom diff, and stage 3 weight reduction.

Last edited:
Yes, by working with those guides I'm able to have very close races in Simulation mode (except for the races that have very stupid AI...)

Looks like that derp with turbo on Rome Short cost me at least 1 position. Oh well.
All right, it is always nice to win on Grindelwald :)

Also, jeffgoddin, the Rome Full time in gt3kid's post is the time without cutting. I am actually pretty pleased with that lap. The "pretty terrible" lap with cutting was achieved during my practice in Simulation mode, it was 1.31.140, with not so smooth high-speed chicanes in S2 and S3 and not ideal last corner. I guess if I got it right I would been able to make it out of 1.31...

It looks like we are allowed to used pre-build cars for FF cup. Well then, I think I'll do this challenge with several cars, since I have a ton of them in all three of my garages.

Edit: It has been already decided, but I''ll still add that personally after Clubman cup I would rather go to the Mountain Trial Endurance to win plenty of cash, or to the Historic race with Group 5 Skyline as a prize car. So yes, for FF cup I think it is fair if we have all the money needed.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was happy with my times, too, but what are you going to do about being down on power... five percent weight to power in my experience becomes half a percent lap time, so about a second at these tracks, so yeah, I'm sure with your racing you would have been in the 1:30's...

And I was just going to use one car for all three, but don't let that hold you back from using different cars for all three... though I may have tried the Punto for the first one and then switched to a car that gets more hp...

Isn't the Tahiti race 295 hp? I don't have a problem at all with 246 hp, but I think the Tahiti FF even has a 295 hp limit.

I'm building off of the post too, but I'd rather ask now instead of finding out later.
EDIT: 246 HP seems to work well as it is a close race with the AI. I can see how some setups might blow the AI out of the water at 246 hp, but it is a fairly close race at this level.

Last edited:
Should we also impose the lower weight boundary at like 1800 lbs?
The reason is there are some cars that will just destroy everyone else: for example Spoon EK9 at 246 hp, or Mazda Protege (the small sedan thingy) at 345 hp...

Edit: Or should everyone just stick to one single car throughout the championship, that also might solve the imbalance problems

I was wondering about prize cars... kinda tempted to use them because with only sports suspension you can really take advantage of their base springs. I'd go for Spoon Integra, personally.

But I'd say no prize cars, and just stick with one car for all three, just upgrade hp, should make it more interesting. Otherwise everybody will be using the '93 Civic for the first race.

And, 246 hp is still unfair vs AI. Assuming a 1150kg/2535lb car, 158hp for Tahiti, 180hp for Midfield, and 220hp for Trial Mtn should be enough, with sports suspension and tires, at least for the last two.

Oh, and I am going to use the Mugen Integra, although I'm considering Honda Integra Type R '95 (hidden one).
I'll probably use both in all races. Also I might race an Alfa 156, just to put some European stuff into quite possibly the VTEC party :)

About the AI - in my experience the sports tires are overkill in all special events from the first page, and for most of them on second page, with normal tires suggested power levels should be OK. I'm not suggesting to use Normal tires in our competition though, sports will do fine.

Last edited:
Well, with enough hp, of course normal tires are fine. It's more about, if your want to match weight to power with the AI, so that on the straights you can't just overtake them, then watch the corners and see, if they have better grip when you're on normals, you may want sports. But again, this is GT2 with silly AI, and even without being overpowered, if you're looking for a great race, you can probably use less grippy tires and still win.

And if you're using prize cars like the Mugens... :) Was also considering the 156, great car.

So, to sum it up, we're buying an FF car and tune it as much as we like for all 3 races, only considering the HP limit?
I think it would have been a bit more fair to buy any FF car we like and then use the money we have left from the Clubman Cup to tune it... Otherwise the cars will have too many modifications, it will be pretty much the same for everyone :boggled: What do you think?

We must use sports suspension and sports tires, other parts can be chosen freely until satisfying the power regulations. There are not too many really fast FF cars which can make it to 390 hp, and there are a lot of lightweight but less powerful cars, achieving roughly similar resulting performance. So I think it will still be fair. The set of parts that influence the performance directly is mostly fixed, the rest depends on car's natural potential and tuning skills of the driver.

Edit: I also want to add that we still need to keep in mind natural strengths and weaknesses of cars. For example, the Acura Integra Type R has very good suspension and incredible chassis rigidity (along with all other DC2's), but after tuning the powerband becomes broken in typical GT2 "oh, I forgot to replace tachometer" fashion. So no, this certainly won't be the same for everyone, as long as everybody uses different cars.

Another edit: I think it could help if we write down here fastest fully-tuned FF cars, what do you think, guys?
From what I tested, various ITRs and FTOs are certainly on top of the leaderboard. From the Western cars the Fiat Coupe is dangerous adversary, mainly because of its awesome engine. Peugeot 206, 2-liter Focus and a Golf (I don't remember now which one exactly) are also good choices. Celicas and Civics are certainly among the leading group for the 1st race, but as the power gets raised cituation for them gets more complicated.

Last edited:
Back