GT3's graphics better than GT4?

United States
Long Beach, CA
danonite
I'm not talking about the actual car models and stuff like that, GT4 looks better than GT3 in that regard. But I seem to remember GT3 having better color saturation. GT4 looks dull in comparison. Is any of what I'm saying making sense? :dunce:

YES! GT3 had less cars and the modelling wasn't perfect, but it just looks better than GT4. The tracks look better too! Plus GT3 is just better. GT4 is darker, GT3 had more background and track detail in my opinion.

I have to disagree that GT3 had a better appearence. The colours may have been more vivid but I think the duller colours of GT4 added to it's realism. From playing my brother's GT3 and then going home to '4 the same day I really felt the vivid colours made it too arcade-like. But that's just my opinion.

I noticed that right away when I first started getting into GT4 back in 2007....GT3's graphics look more "complete" than GT4's. Complete is a bad word, but I can't really think of any other one. GT3's replays are much more vivid, the cars don't look as much like model cars. Hell, I'd say GT3's replays often look better than GT5's.

I think it's the fact that GT4 has so many more cars than 3. For whatever reason, a little bit of quality had to be sacrificed it seems in 4. But yea...I compare Deep Forest from GT3 to 4, or Grand Valley, or a couple other tracks, and 3 just has more of an eye-catching appeal imo.

GT3 and 4 don't look 100% photo-realistic, they both have their flaws, but you have to look really close to find most of these flaws. Most of the "flaws" in these games are off to the sides. 2-dimensional cut-out people. Wallpaper trees, stuff like that.

But at least the shadows looked like shadows, not jumpy, pixellated messes like in the newest game! At least everything looks as though it's finished in 3 and 4. Don't get me wrong, GT5's lighting effects (except shadows) do look awesome, but as we all know, the game doesn't look finished-up like 3 and 4 do.

Ye GT4 had a lot more cars: 100 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, 100 Nissan SKYLINE and SILVIA, 50 Subaru IMPREZA and 50 Mazda RX/MX-7,8,5. The numbers are ofcoursed exaggerated but it looks close to that when going over the cars in the agencies and i think more than half of the cars are repeats. I would much rather prefer a look alike GT3 with like 50-100 new cars, rather than a game that looks worse but with 700 cars repeating models. And thats why i am still playing GT3 (not to mention all the other problems i had with GT4, this is a graphics thread)

I disagree with that. In my opinion GT4 looks more realistic that GT3. GT3 is a bit arcady with half the tracks being at the sunset (Laguna Seca, Seatle, Deep Forest II, Grand Valley Speedway II just for some). GT4 looks a bit dull though but way more realistic in my opinion.

as much as i want to disagree i have to agree in part. i beleive that gt3 doesn't have as much jaggies as gt4 and that in my opinion makes it look a bit better... but gt4 has more deitail. it just gives me a headache the number of jaggies.

i beleive that gt3 doesn't have as much jaggies as gt4

I agree with you on this one. Gran Turismo 3 has a smooth 50 frames per second, while Gran Turismo 4 has some difficulties keeping up with the constant frame rate.

GT4 seems to have less color than pretty all of the other GT titles, not just GT3. GT4 seems to have less color popping out on the screen. But, GT3 seems to have the best color. It's not dull nor boring within ten minutes. The color keeps me interested and addicted to playing it all day.

PAL tv's run at 50hz and NTSC tv's run at 60hz. There's no difference at all in terms of speed, because if GT3 ran at 60 fps on PAL, the speed up in gameplay would be noticeable and the graphics would probably be glitchy. I think anyway.

I agree that GT3's graphics are better. They look nicer and there aren't a gazillion Skyline's and Evo's. But I feel GT4's physics are better though. In GT3, the cars sound and feel better when you drive them.

PAL tv's run at 50hz and NTSC tv's run at 60hz. There's no difference at all in terms of speed, because if GT3 ran at 60 fps on PAL, the speed up in gameplay would be noticeable and the graphics would probably be glitchy. I think anyway.

No the frame rate would stutter in 50Hz a lot. The graphics would be fine.

Yes GT3's visual looked superior to GT4, one thing I did notice in GT3 it had some heatwave graphics whatever you call them that is :P

He means the heat emanating off the racetrack in the replays, where it creates a slight blur in the graphics I think.

Now I recall. That was pretty cool for an opening of a race.

That happens in GT4. I'm sure of it.

No, GT4 does not have this feature included. I don't know why, but it is ridiculous to take away a feature in the next game that was in the previous game.

I saw that in Fuji speedway several times and it was very noticeable.(for me at least) I think I saw in other tracks but lately I have been playing a bit more GT3 and less GT4 since I can't pass most of the last driving missions.(my skills could be better)

Well this is all based on what I can recall, because my PS2 is 20 miles away right now. I'm on my school bus.

That heat thing happens in Tokyo R246 as well not only on Fuji Speedway. I will watch more replays when I have time to see if that happens in other tracks.

Since when have muted colours been an indication of realism? Sure if it's overcast or foggy outside then yes, cars will be duller, but in bright sunlight, the colours of the world are much more vivid.

GT4 (sort of) and GT3 had the heatwave, but GT5 doesn't even have it, so according to this theory their graphics are in a way better than GT5 :odd:

GT4 (sort of) and GT3 had the heatwave, but GT5 doesn't even have it, so according to this theory their graphics are in a way better than GT5 :odd:

Now I feel better for not having a PS3 and GT5.

EDIT: Heatwave detected in the Nurburgring and in SSR5.

Last edited:
On a technical level GT3 is inferior but looks better ascetically. So GT4 is a repeat of GT2 (higher res car models/ textures, more reflectivity). Gt5 beats these easily however, comparing it to gt5 is just retarded, look at the small details and you will see that GT5 wins.

There in gt5 i have seen them just not as exaggerated , view a replay at laguna seca.

Back