GT4 1080i / 480p Problems!

• Thread starter oiboy
  • 32 comments
So I got a copy of GT4 and was excited at the possibility to play in 1080i. I connected my RCA cable to my PS2 and turned it on. I switched to 1080i in the options menu then connected my component cable. Everything was great. Then when I backed out into the menu screen it was no longer feeding my TV a HD signal. I had to switch back to RCA. This is a pain in the butt. Is it me or is it in HD only in driving mode? I donrt want to sit there switching cables back and forth. My HD input only supports HD not a regular signal. Is there a menu option I'm overlooking? I'm in China and was only able to get the Chinese version of the game.

oiboy
So I got a copy of GT4 and was excited at the possibility to play in 1080i. I connected my RCA cable to my PS2 and turned it on. I switched to 1080i in the options menu then connected my component cable. Everything was great. Then when I backed out into the menu screen it was no longer feeding my TV a HD signal. I had to switch back to RCA. This is a pain in the butt. Is it me or is it in HD only in driving mode? I donrt want to sit there switching cables back and forth. My HD input only supports HD not a regular signal. Is there a menu option I'm overlooking? I'm in China and was only able to get the Chinese version of the game.
Your HDTV is failing to handle a 480i signal on the Component inputs.

The HD signal is only while driving or watching replays. Everything else is at the normal 480i. If your television doesn't have the capability to switch resolutions on the fly, you need a new TV.

Couple questions:

1. Are you using the cables included in the box, or did you buy a set if Component cables? The standard cables that come with the console will NOT support 1080i.
2. As mentioned above, 1080i is only displayed when you drive. The menus are in standard 480i.
3. If you have a half decent HDTV to begin with, it should have no problem switching between resolutions, but expect to see some sort of "hanging" when it's looking for the signal from the console.
4. Do you read chinese, or no? If not, consult the other thread about screen translations. If I remember correctly, you DO have to make sure the option is set in the options menu. Even then, when you shut off the console and restart from a saved game, you still have to go to the options menu AGAIN and select 1080i.
5. Can you explain what model TV you have, and what inputs you on it?

Hope this helps.

saveur2
Couple questions:

1. Are you using the cables included in the box, or did you buy a set if Component cables? The standard cables that come with the console will NOT support 1080i.
2. As mentioned above, 1080i is only displayed when you drive. The menus are in standard 480i.
3. If you have a half decent HDTV to begin with, it should have no problem switching between resolutions, but expect to see some sort of "hanging" when it's looking for the signal from the console.
4. Do you read chinese, or no? If not, consult the other thread about screen translations. If I remember correctly, you DO have to make sure the option is set in the options menu. Even then, when you shut off the console and restart from a saved game, you still have to go to the options menu AGAIN and select 1080i.
5. Can you explain what model TV you have, and what inputs you on it?

Hope this helps.

Answers:
1. No I'm not using standard RCA Cables to get an HD Signal. I bought a set of component cables.
2. Yes! I noticed that. I was hoping they made the menus in at least 480p. My tv can switch between 1080i-480p no problems. The input on my tv seems to be HD only. No problems yet on most games with 480p like Burnout 3/ MK Deception
3. I think my TV is 1/2 decent I never knew that this wouls be a real issue as most of the time when watching an HD signal you do not really switch back and fourth to 480i
4. Everything is set OK. I changed the settings on the menu to 1080i
5. I have a 16:9 Philips TV it has 2 sets of standard component video inputs, 6 sets of rca inputs, 2 sets of S-video, 1 vga input, and 1 component HD input. 46"
the model number is 46PP8621.

I can get it to work but only with cable switching. Using rca for regualr screens and component for hd screens.

the_con: Are you a total moron?
Having seen the difference between scaled-up 1080i and standard 480i the difference is huge. Anti-aliasing is better resolution ISalso higher.

No, I'm in fact not a moron, contrary to your belief. However, I do realize that the difference is minimal, and not something to write home about. True HD, yes, upscaled 1080i? naaahhh.

well con, it's your opinion the difference is at a minimal. This is the same with you oi.
I can't wait to see gt4 in 1080i on my tv, my tv does true 1080i

The difference is huge if you have a good TV. We were just trying it out at Sony Style today and their TVs made the HD look worse than a native 525 TV. Glad I use a PC monitor and Panasonic HDTV.

Some of the cable channels I get come in 1080i with 16:9 correction ratio and boy does the picture look clear, I can only imagine gt4 on it. This might be off topic but my tv does 720x480p. For 480, I thought the res would be 640x480p but that's not the case with my tv, strange huh?

cobragt
well con, it's your opinion the difference is at a minimal. This is the same with you oi.
I can't wait to see gt4 in 1080i on my tv, my tv does true 1080i

Too bad the PS2 doesn't..... :rolleyes:

On an ISF calibrated HDTV the difference between 480p (through a good DVD player) and upscaled 1080i can be said to be minimal, especially to a casual viewer. To say the difference between 480i and 1080i on a capable display is minimal however is just plain silly. If you truly feel that way perhaps you need to have your vision checked. It's like saying the difference between a Bose Lifestyle system and a real home theater system is minimal...

My TV's native resolution is 1080i and upscaled images (such as movies on HBOHD) rival the image quality I get from my DVD player so I can't wait to see how GT4 looks.

Bill

cobragt
But gt4 does :P

holy mother of mary jesus christ and all things religious.

NO IT DOESN'T. IT'S FAKE. FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE.

NOT AS GOOD NOT AS GOOD NOT AS GOOD NOT AS GOOD. MINIMAL MINIMAL MINMAL DIFFERENCE DIFFERENCE DIFFERENCE.

I freaking hope to god that this messege has finally sunk in and you realize the truth now, because you are just being ignorant about it now (yes, look up ignorance, it's a belief based on a lack of knowledge). We have told you why it isn't, why it's not as good, and yet you STILL say it is...I want to just type a random assortment of curse words right here to follow this post...fudge.

Tha Con Stop ****ing TYPING. youre not the baddast ass around here and you dont know everything and you dont have HDTV's to test at your whim and you dont have different component cables to compare and you dont have different caliberated HDTV's to compare so just shut UP.

just accept something that is contrary to YOUR belief.

I have an HDTV, and I have multiple sets of component cables. I also know various other people who have HDTV's, we all seem to agree that the difference is minimal.

My point is not that he should not look forward to using it, etc, but he needs to realize what it is and what it isn't, and stop commenting on it in everysingle thread he reads. We have explained to him what it is, how it looks, and he has seen the comparisons..yet still every chance he gets he asks, "how does it look" "is it true 1080i?" Like the answer is suddenly going to change and someone is going to discover a new way to enable the PS2 to do 1080i...no. Upscaled just isn't impressive, period. I prefer the 480p, it looks better.

cobragt
This might be off topic but my tv does 720x480p. For 480, I thought the res would be 640x480p but that's not the case with my tv, strange huh?

Actually, that's correct. The resolution of a normal television signal is 720x480 (NTSC). The reason it's different is because the pixels on a television aren't perfectly square like that of a computer monitor. The image is still 4:3 ratio, just like a computer's 640x480, but because the pixels are slightly thinner than they are tall (it's a 0.9 pixel ratio), the image ends up being 720x480.. the 0.9 makes it 4:3. It's a bit confusing at first, and it's still kind of weird when I'm working with 0.9 footage on my computer, because it never looks right (everything looks kind of "fat"). I just keep at it, because I know the final output will look exactly as it should when it goes to a television.

Oddly enough, a widescreen image is also 720x480.. hehe. The difference is that pixel aspect ratio.. it goes from 0.9 to 1.2. On a normal TV, it makes the image look "skinny", but a widescreen TV will stretch the image horizontally to fill up the frame. Head over to http://www.thedigitalbits.com (one of the best DVD news sites, by the way), and look for the link about "Anamorphic Widescreen". That's what all DVDs use for widescreen images, and it's also what the current generation of game systems use. It's possible that the next-gen systems will be able to produce a native widescreen image, but we don't know where the industry is going yet.. even the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD movies may still use anamorphic, just to fit more on-screen and maintain compression.

tha_con: to be perfectly blunt, you don't know whether it's "fake" or not. Unless you happen to have a PS2 dev kit sitting in your living room, there's absolutely no way you can tell what the actual exported signal's resolution is. Even if it's upscaled, the output resolution is still 1080i (it has to be, in order for the TV's to even recognize it). And because of that, the aliasing will be reduced. Which will still look better, even if it's only by a small margin. If a gamer has an HDTV capable of supporting a 1080i signal, there is absolutely no reason why they shouldn't use it.

Jedi2016
tha_con: to be perfectly blunt, you don't know whether it's "fake" or not. Unless you happen to have a PS2 dev kit sitting in your living room, there's absolutely no way you can tell what the actual exported signal's resolution is. Even if it's upscaled, the output resolution is still 1080i (it has to be, in order for the TV's to even recognize it). And because of that, the aliasing will be reduced. Which will still look better, even if it's only by a small margin. If a gamer has an HDTV capable of supporting a 1080i signal, there is absolutely no reason why they shouldn't use it.

I don't need a dev kit. It's not a true output of a 1080i signal,PS2 can't do it, it's just creating a "mocked up" signal if you will. It's not true 1080i, period, there is no question about it.

I'm not saying anyone shouldn't use it, or argueing that it doesn't look better, HOWEVER, we do not need someone asking the same question in every thread with the same results every time. He is just trashing threads with garbage now, and its pointless, all he's doing is asking people how it is until he get's his satisfactory answer.

Fact is I own it and I believe that the 480p looks BETTER than the 1080i.

Again this is not a post to discourage anyone from using either mode, both look better, if only by a small margin. This is a post to please please please stop the insanity. We know exactly what it is, how it looks, and what it does. I do not see the need for this man to reassure himself in every single thread towards someone who owns GT4.

If I were to go around in a thread asking if the game had an arcade mode, in every thread, and asked how it was, and for someone to describe it, even though the information is out there, surely I would get flamed, thus, this is the same scenario, different topic.

tha_con,

I think some people are mistakenly taking your opinion as fact. That you prefer GT4 in 480p to 1080i is perfectly fine. That you feel the difference between GT4 in 480i and 1080i is slim is fine as well, hell some people swear vinyl sounds better than SACD or DVD-Audio, even better than CD, but let's remember everyone, they're just opinions.

I can't wait to have a copy in my hands and declare my preference as well!

Bill

People said bump mapping was impossible on the ps2 but guess what, developers can use software mode to get bump mapping in games, look at the jak games, they have bump mapping and I believe WRC on the ps2 has bump mapping. PD used software mode to get 1080i support. con, you dont know if it's true or not, nonetheless the image will be 1920x1080i, period. Dont even think you know everything because you dont and 480p looks better than 1080i? You might aswell shut up now.

about HDTV if you want to compare quality DON?T do it based on HDTV signals coming form the tv network because they compress the signal actually and the higher res they broadcats the more compressed the signal is so in the end there won't be much difference, please compare the different res only from a local source.
(just discovered this only wanted to share it ;) I'm trying to understand which TV I should by for gt4 as my old one just blew up !)

edit :
on IGN website I think..they say that the 1080i from GT4 looks worst than some XBOX 720p games which is quite possible because keep in mind that i stands for interlaced...but 480p ?...no really

I sincerely hope you will find something to make it work oiboy :(

edit2 :
do you think this one will be good to play GT4 ?
http://www.avshopper.co.uk/DetailsList.cfm?ID=669
Philips 32PF9976 LCD TV
anel resolution : 1366 x 768p
Contrast ratio : 800:1
Visible diagonal screen size : 80 cm
ideo formats : 1280 x 720p - 3Fh, 640 x 480i - 1Fh, 640 x 480p - 2Fh, 720 x 576i - 1Fh, 720 x 576p - 2Fh, 1920 x 1080i - 2Fh

I know the contrast ratio doesn't look that good but I'm not paying that money to end up with a 26" tv when I had a 30" standard tv...can't pay more than that as I just bought an amd 64bits 4000+ and a geforce6800ultra :/

the_con, your a moron.

And if i wasnt so tired, and achey from being sick, i would type up a nice long winded post on how the PS2 renders in 1080i, and own your sorry ass.

It doesnt look that much better then 480P (not in direct pixel terms) but it DOES look better in 1080i, and the signal being sent to the TV is infact a 1080i signal.

So deal with it.

After seeing the pics comparing 480p and 1080i, I can see the improvements but nothing to get so worked up about (cobragt's favorite GT4 subject).

Whether people see a big difference in 1080i vs 480p will come down to whether people care about anti-aliasing. Because that is really all the 1080i mode gives you. The equivalent of giving PS2 anti-aliasing. Jagged edges on diagonal lines are much smoother. Road surfaces have much less "shimmer" as pixels are jogged around the screen.

It's like in the early days the difference between PS2 and Dreamcast. Dreamcast looked a hell of a lot better because they did inter-frame blending. Each frame was 50% blended with the prior frame. As a result, everything was very smooth. Some people didn't care. Some people immediately saw the difference (like me) and fell in love.

The main thing that pulls me out of the fun of PS2 and XBox games is the continued lack of AA. I can't believe PS2 developers (and Sony themselves) have tried to claim that PS2 has AA. It doesn't. Until some genius comes up with a better way of doing it, AA requires rendering the graphics at at least twice the display resolution and then downscaling. So a 640x480 game must be rendered at 1280 x 960 and then scaled down for 2x AA. You can imagine this takes a lot more processing power -- much more than the PS2 contains.

I am hoping that some day someone will stumble upon a formula of subsampling pixels which doesn't require the performance hit of rendering at 2x or 4x the display resolution.

wgb113
tha_con,

I think some people are mistakenly taking your opinion as fact. That you prefer GT4 in 480p to 1080i is perfectly fine. That you feel the difference between GT4 in 480i and 1080i is slim is fine as well, hell some people swear vinyl sounds better than SACD or DVD-Audio, even better than CD, but let's remember everyone, they're just opinions.

I can't wait to have a copy in my hands and declare my preference as well!

Bill

Actually, its been proven that vinyl does reproduce a more natural, anf fuller sound pattern then digital media. But SACD comes closest to defeating it. Thanks only to recording in DSD. But pure analog still remains the purest.

feldon23
Whether people see a big difference in 1080i vs 480p will come down to whether people care about anti-aliasing. Because that is really all the 1080i mode gives you. The equivalent of giving PS2 anti-aliasing. Jagged edges on diagonal lines are much smoother. Road surfaces have much less "shimmer" as pixels are jogged around the screen.

It's like in the early days the difference between PS2 and Dreamcast. Dreamcast looked a hell of a lot better because they did inter-frame blending. Each frame was 50% blended with the prior frame. As a result, everything was very smooth. Some people didn't care. Some people immediately saw the difference (like me) and fell in love.

The main thing that pulls me out of the fun of PS2 and XBox games is the continued lack of AA. I can't believe PS2 developers (and Sony themselves) have tried to claim that PS2 has AA. It doesn't. Until some genius comes up with a better way of doing it, AA requires rendering the graphics at at least twice the display resolution and then downscaling. So a 640x480 game must be rendered at 1280 x 960 and then scaled down for 2x AA. You can imagine this takes a lot more processing power -- much more than the PS2 contains.

I am hoping that some day someone will stumble upon a formula of subsampling pixels which doesn't require the performance hit of rendering at 2x or 4x the display resolution.

Its interesting that you mention AA.

Becuase thats basicly what GT4 is doing, in a rather tricky way.

Its just doubling the verticle resolution lines by rendering indipendant 640x480 frames for each interlace. Which puts no more excess load on the PS2 then rendering in 480P. When rendered and stacked by the video processor it generates an image that is 640x960, which is then stretched and scaled to fir the 1920x1080i screen dimensions.

Its absolutely ingenious.

Becuase the horizontal lines are smoothed by the increased verticle dimension, which givevs the effect of increased resolution.
Which the verticle lines maintain the same at 640, but your eye doesnt notice them, becuase the verticle plane is smoothed.

Whoever thought of it should get a prize from Sony for un-screwing their hardware.

As for a better AA solution.
nVidia invented a process called QxAA, called Quinconx or somthing like that, its just a differnt way to interprite internally rendered pixel data without over rendering the image as much to get the desired effect. Becuase nVidia will be the driving chipset behind the PS3, i would be failry safe in saying that QxAA will be a vital part of the whole rendering process. ANd just think, now that nVidia is powering it, the DVD player shouldent suck balls either.

Back