GT4 Dampers

• Thread starter sucahyo
  • 296 comments
sucahyo
Let me explain it step by step. You talking like it all happen at once.

My explanation
The car at 1 meter height
- suspension is lower than zero posistion from tire weight

The car hit the ground, pushed down by car weight
- spring compressed, and fight back, force the car to go up
- the amount of energy absorbed by spring is reduced by damper (bound), stiffer damper reduce the energy absorbed by spring more.

The car reach the lowest position
- spring start to expand

the car pushed up by the spring
- damper (rebound) reduce the energy released by spring

if the energy not reduced by damper much the car able to leave the ground again
If the energy absorbed by damper much the car movement can stop at lowest posistion if damper is very stiff or bounce up a little if the damper is not too stiff.

Your explanation

- if damper is stiff (10) the suspension not reacting fast enough and it send the force directly to the car body
- if the damper value is bellow that, the reaction is unknown
- car body stored the energy?

- car body start to straighten up?

the car go up
- if the car body is very elastic it can leave the ground again?
- if the car body is not very elastic it do not leave the ground?

It sound like cartoon movie ..............

From what I know, if the force transfered to the car, it will do some damage to the car. If the car is strong, it will do some damage to the road. If both are strong I don't know. But metal car do not store energy as good as spring. And it can't make the car to jump back to the air again !

Yes.

I need an explanation to caterham jump and jump and jump again this time. Why it is happen more on d-high.
If you see car chasing movie with many hilly road jump (in San Fransisco?) we can frequently see car jumping more than 1 meter. In rally word 1 meter is a bit high, but I am very sure that even normal passenger car rarely snap its suspension if its landing on its all 4 tire at once. But even landing from height with 2 tire still don't snap the suspension (Fast & Furious 2).

I am sure the car joint will break first before it can fight back. A direct frontal hit do not make the car bounce back if the speed is high enough doesn't it? Are you saying you never hit a fence or wall before? Maybe you should try it and see how much the car bounce back. I am sure it will bounce back if you hit it at 5 mph. but hitting those at 30mph will surely break something.
I forget the formula for calculting speed from drop. But it's not important, there is no way car body alone can make the car doing re jump again.

That is a good link. But there is no where in those link explaining that when the force will go to the car it will make it jump. It assume the car body is full rigid body to simplify calculation. It does not explain car elasticity like you mention.

I don't dismiss this link. It just that this link doesn't explain your statement.
I can use this link to explain that spring and damper work together to smooth out the sudden impulses.

I think I will wait until you get back, maybe you can show more direct explanation. And if you can't find this in skip barber book, it is either:
- you miss it
- skip barber do not cover it
- it does not happen in real life

I choose third option, car dropping from height can be pushed back to the air with car body elasticity does not happen in real life

That is because the damper absorb the energy that goes to or released by spring.

Confusing, What do you mean transfered? The suspension suddently not moving? Looking at the suspension construction, can you explain using this picture?

It is definitely not because roll limiter bounce it back, but due to car weight being affected by gravitation simulation.

It will only dampen the movement, not springing them. If the force depleted, it will go to whatever force still working.

I don't say that it hang's there. I wish my english is better, too many understanding from incorrect word. I mean to say it stop the rolling or pitching by dampening the kinetic energy too, not halted the car.

I see, this is your explanation for car bouncing from higher value.
But you shouldn't forget that my previous roll experiment use PhD reference that state car roll is reduced by stiffer damper AND stiffer spring rate at bound and increased by stiffer damper AND stiffer spring rate at rebound.

No it can go the opposite, both damper and spring rate has to be matched.

I believe testing it with different spring rate can give different result.

Ok.

If damper help spring fight back the bump force, it can influence the suspension travel too.

You should realize that your explanation about stiffer damper make the car jump more do not match the skip barber quote.

21", I have difficulty seeing it in 21", so I assume seeing it in 14" is close to impossible. You don't notice wheel vibration in your test so I assume you use something that is make it hard to see, like 14" set or LCD set or Plasma set or something. From what I see now, you just ignore it.

Sorry, I forget that they have to simulate real car as first priority.
If PD use 2.0/1.0 camber for FC suspension, why don't they use 4.0/2.0 camber for stock car. If they want to mimic real car as close as possible why don't they use 0.0/0.0 camber for FC suspension too.
Original quote: "Just like PD fool us into thinking that 2.0/1.0 camber is the best combination because every road car with FC suspension have that value as default. And yet PD use 0.0/0.0 camber for every stock car, which is I think very unresponsible . If stock car has softer spring than FC suspension why they don't use camber value like 4.0/2.0 for it ?"

This can make people assume that we must use lower camber when we use softer spring. You all car expert so you should have no problem telling that this is only a blunder, what about people who don't know. That is irresponsible. That is not educating people. It fool people.

Congratulation to you all that was not fooled by this.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2216050&postcount=198
"Either that or they just don't care . I mean, thing like this is rarely discussed. If you find some weird thing you assume it's just another glitch and thinking lightly the word "funny, it shouldn't be like that" ."

After you say the car can re jump more when using stiffer damper in real life Scaff, I believe my opinion more.
I really have a hard time believing that it's not a mistype.

So, do you ever discussed this thing in real life with real expert Scaff? Car can rejump higher because stiffer damper? Do you conclude it on your own or from someone or some book?

I just cannot believe how you over and over do correct calcualtions and cover damperwork correctly, and STILL say 10 is soft??? I fail to see the logic in your conclusions! It seems you misunderstand what is soft and what is hard.

And about the transfer from bumpforce to carbody; The carbody CANNOT jump on its own, that is correct, but you still seem to either ignore or not understand what a damper does, and how they do it. Generally speaking, hard springs = hard dampers and soft springs = soft dampers. Overdamping and underdamping will be equally bad for the characteristics of the car, allthough in different ways. This you know. I will once again point out; wich follows the contour of a surface best, foamrubber or a metalbar?
As for the 1 metre drop, Scaff covered this very well, when he explained that the dampers only determine how fast the spring moves, not how far.
A soft damping may cause a rejump, but the car itself, and its passangers, will most likely endure that better than the very hard impact a sudden stop would produce. This is also what happens during driving. If the car is very stiff (metalbar) it will NOT follow the contour of the surface, but jump, flip and tilt over any irregularities (the Integra is a good example here). This is a hard setting, and it also shows that 10=hard!
sucahyo
Do you remember that the stiffer the damper, the harder it work to stop suspension movement? How can oil that have to be force to pass small hole inside damper can help increase jumping ability?
Damping is not always done with oil, they may also use gases of some sorts, or even air. The pogostick I belive has a oneway type of airdamper, with no rebound at all.
sucahyo
Even the Skip barber mention this: "A stiffer bump setting slows down the motion on its corner ans speeds up the load transfer. A softer bump setting does the opposite - it allows the suspension to move faster and spreads the changes in loading out over a longer period of time."
I don't dismiss this, how about you?
I do not dismiss this at all, and if you don´t I fail to understand your reasoning completely.
sucahyo
I need an explanation to caterham jump and jump and jump again this time. Why it is happen more on d-high.
If you see car chasing movie with many hilly road jump (in San Fransisco?) we can frequently see car jumping more than 1 meter. In rally word 1 meter is a bit high, but I am very sure that even normal passenger car rarely snap its suspension if its landing on its all 4 tire at once. But even landing from height with 2 tire still don't snap the suspension (Fast & Furious 2).
Ehm, I would not trust what I see in the movies at all. The cars used for these stunts are very often destroyed, and simply replaced by a similar one for the next scene. I mknow they had several General Lee for the Dukes Of Hazard movie. And FF2... many cars in that movie are animated...
A normal passanger car WILL brake from a 1 metre drop. Not the chassis perhaps, but suspension and axles would surely take a serious beating.
In GT4 however, cars do not break, but the energy of the impact is still simulated, so therefore you may experience jump and jump and jump...

Actually it looks like you're misunderstanding the whole concept...
when a car drives over a bump, it will not jump anywhere but its tires will just raise a little with the bump compared to the ground surrounded by bump. If the damping is stiff, the body of the car will also lift up the same time - as the kinetic force is transferred to it very fast - and the tire will stay in the air after the bump a fraction of a second before dropping back to the ground . If the damping is soft, only the tire will lift up with the bump and then get down back to the road after it has gone over the bump, and only a little force is transferred to the car body.
I'm using the term damping here because springs and dampers work together so much, you can't treat them individually very succesfully and that's the whole point. If you get some weird results by combinating way too stiff springs and soft/hard dampers you shouldn't take results from those tests as a gospel..
I really hope this clears it up

- sorry about inconsistency or spelling errors, i'm tired and going to bed right now

It seem I have to explain what I know about damper, so you all can judge if the knowledge I had is wrong or not.

Neil W RObert
http://g-speed.com/pbh/dampers.html][/url] I will assume you have not seen a racing damper disassembled. As with many other things, it's what is inside that counts. There is a piston attached to the end of the shaft inside the damper. The chamber that the piston moves in is filled with (almost) incompressible hydraulic oil. The viscosity of the oil causes resistance to oil passage through small orifices. This resistance produces a pressure differential across the piston when the piston moves, thus producing a damping force.

Skip Barber
A stiffer bump setting slows down the motion on its corner ans speeds up the load transfer. A softer bump setting does the opposite - it allows the suspension to move faster and spreads the changes in loading out over a longer period of time. The same is true of rebound. Stiff re-bound settings will force the suspension system to move more slowly when loads are removed from its corner of the car, but the unloading of the contact patch will be more abrupt. Softer rebound settings allow the suspension to move more quickly and the unloading of the contact patch happens more gradually

I get this quote from you all, so I assume you all believe it too. So from this quote I assume the damper work by slowing down the spring motion by making spring work to force the oil in the damper to pass a small orifices, reducing the spring effectiveness.

So, My explanation become

- spring pushed, passing zero position
- spring compressed, and fight back, attempt to revert to its original zero position, force the car to go up
- the spring movement is slowed down by damper, if damper is stiff it will slowed down the spring movement at faster rate, making the spring do not move from zero position much. If the damper is soft or none it will not slowed down the spring movement much, making it able to move further from zero posistion.

- spring start to expand
- the position of spring from it's zero position is depend on it's spring power and damper stiffness.

- the power of the spring push the car up depend on how much further the spring previously move from zero position

So, which part of this explanation that do not make any sense?

The explanation that suspension can't react fast enough so that the force will be transferred to the car body do not explain how it works on different damper value, like for instance 2 vs 4 - or - 3 vs 9.
From my view GT4 damper 2 have lower bouncing capability than 4 because 2 have more damping power. It fits my car drop explanation.

Dave_George
The original title of this thread was "Damper 10 is softer than 1"
Ok, I still talking about how damper work here, so?

Dave_George
You have had explained to you many times now, that most people feel this is NOT the case. Take any car in GT4 and drive comparison laps with low settings and hard settings and you WILL feel the difference. Its quite simple stuff really, most people would expect that on a scale of 1 to 10 that 10 would be the harder end of the scale, its how the other tuning elements of GT4 work!
What do you think about +4 is toe in?

Dave_George
You seem to enjoy persisting with this thread in the vein that everyone else is wrong and you are right, in the process you take the thread off on wild tangents to the point where we are talking about dropping cars from metres in the air.....its ridiculous quite frankly. You have quite possibly one of the most knowledgeable people on GTP giving you countless sources of information and explanations - and still it isnt enough. I added some comments from the point of view that I am no-where near as knowledgeable as Scaff but as an average driver I can use feel and give another perspective on the issue.

I think you need to re-visit the original title of the thread more and stop diverting off onto other things, and also you need to do more mileage in GT4, Drive more cars, drive more tracks and see if your thoughts are still the same on the original point you held in question. Im fed up with this thread now as I expect are some others and its due to you Im afraid.
Well, I am more concern than enjoy. You should know that I agree with you all in page 10, but after trying it myself I must go back to my original opinion damper 10 is softest.

After knowing that as a driver instructor Scaff believe that car can rebounce higher when using stiffer spring it is become serious. If I am wrong, I will just get flamed, or banned as maximum. But if Scaff wrong he has his job as his bet. I am worry about that.

In order to prove that damper 10 is softest, I must know what everyone think about how the damper works in real life and how GT4 simulates it. Previously I discuss how real life damper simulated in GT4. But now my first priority is discussing how real life damper works. But still I will test what everyone advised me to test, including suspension movement when braking, even if Team666 said it is unreliable. All test that previously suggested by everyone still give me result that damper 10 is softest.

Since you all choose to ignore 300mph car nodding, tire movement visual, snapping behaviour, I guess I have to come up with another way of testing. Any suggestion?

Team666
Generally speaking, hard springs = hard dampers and soft springs = soft dampers. Overdamping and underdamping will be equally bad for the characteristics of the car, allthough in different ways. This you know. I will once again point out; wich follows the contour of a surface best, foamrubber or a metalbar?
That is not how the damper works. hard damper is not equal to hard spring. If it's like that a car would only need spring, and yet they need damper too, or the opposite. On car damper and spring sometime separated, sometime combined.

The curly/spiral metal in suspension is spring. tube with metal stick goes through it is damper. But there are air spring, that is a low pressured air used as spring. It will shape like damper. And also there is air damper, that is a high pressured air used as damper.
Air spring will have almost no damping, but air damper can have limited spring. But from what I read, spring power in damper make tuning harder, so it's not wanted.

Team666
As for the 1 metre drop, Scaff covered this very well, when he explained that the dampers only determine how fast the spring moves, not how far.
No it just explaining when the damper too stiff the car bouncing because the force goes to the car body, he did not explain what happen if the damper is little softer, medium, soft or very soft.

Team666
A soft damping may cause a rejump, but the car itself, and its passangers, will most likely endure that better than the very hard impact a sudden stop would produce.
Are you saying harder damping causing the car to create "the very hard impact a sudden stop"?. A soft damping causing the car to create soft landing smooth stop? What about if the damping is too soft? it bounce back more or less? And when the force transfered to the car body happen if you describe harder damper create "the very hard impact a sudden stop".

Team666
This is also what happens during driving. If the car is very stiff (metalbar) it will NOT follow the contour of the surface, but jump, flip and tilt over any irregularities (the Integra is a good example here). This is a hard setting, and it also shows that 10=hard!
I already explain this before. About metalbar, from this link http://www.miata.net/sport/Physics/15-Bumps-In-The-Road.html from Scaff this describe the car as brick, and yet it does not jump flip or tilt over in the calculation, it even make calculation easier, no jumping or irregularity whatsoever. the car with metalbar will move like a projectile when meeting bump, starting from the top of the bump creating parabolic curve until landing. When landing it does not jump but following the road contour again.

Team666
Damping is not always done with oil, they may also use gases of some sorts, or even air. The pogostick I belive has a oneway type of airdamper, with no rebound at all.
air damper is designed to have spring power as little as possible. What your looking at maybe an air spring. Read Neil W. Robert link. He's car designer for CART (I don't know what CART is, but everyone recomend me to read it).

Team666
I do not dismiss this at all, and if you don´t I fail to understand your reasoning completely.
I explain it above. If stiffer damper slow down the suspension movement how come it can make pogo stick jump higher? I think you mistaken air spring for air damper. It is highly unlikely a pogo stick have air damper, how much it costs then.

Team666
Ehm, I would not trust what I see in the movies at all. The cars used for these stunts are very often destroyed, and simply replaced by a similar one for the next scene. I mknow they had several General Lee for the Dukes Of Hazard movie. And FF2... many cars in that movie are animated...
A normal passanger car WILL brake from a 1 metre drop. Not the chassis perhaps, but suspension and axles would surely take a serious beating.
In GT4 however, cars do not break, but the energy of the impact is still simulated, so therefore you may experience jump and jump and jump...
Ok, lets forget the movie. But where the jumping power coming from? Are you saying that in GT4 if you hit the wall with the car nose you will be bounce back? From my experience it will stop, not bouncing back. In what car you experience this? I will try it next.

Speed Drifter
Actually it looks like you're misunderstanding the whole concept...
when a car drives over a bump, it will not jump anywhere but its tires will just raise a little with the bump compared to the ground surrounded by bump. If the damping is stiff, the body of the car will also lift up the same time - as the kinetic force is transferred to it very fast - and the tire will stay in the air after the bump a fraction of a second before dropping back to the ground . If the damping is soft, only the tire will lift up with the bump and then get down back to the road after it has gone over the bump, and only a little force is transferred to the car body.
I'm using the term damping here because springs and dampers work together so much, you can't treat them individually very succesfully and that's the whole point. If you get some weird results by combinating way too stiff springs and soft/hard dampers you shouldn't take results from those tests as a gospel..
I really hope this clears it up
No, I agree with that too. What I don't agree is how it simulate in GT4. I say it reversed.
in you opinion what will happen if the car meet sucesive bump? In GT4 it would mean grass (dirt road too?). If you never experience it, try driving the car slowly on it.

sucahyo
It seem I have to explain what I know about damper, so you all can judge if the knowledge I had is wrong or not.

I get this quote from you all, so I assume you all believe it too. So from this quote I assume the damper work by slowing down the spring motion by making spring work to force the oil in the damper to pass a small orifices, reducing the spring effectiveness.

So, My explanation become

- spring pushed, passing zero position
- spring compressed, and fight back, attempt to revert to its original zero position, force the car to go up
- the spring movement is slowed down by damper, if damper is stiff it will slowed down the spring movement at faster rate, making the spring do not move from zero position much. If the damper is soft or none it will not slowed down the spring movement much, making it able to move further from zero posistion.

- spring start to expand
- the position of spring from it's zero position is depend on it's spring power and damper stiffness.

- the power of the spring push the car up depend on how much further the spring previously move from zero position

So, which part of this explanation that do not make any sense?
Nothing! And what makes you think this is simulated in reverse in GT4?

sucahyo
Since you all choose to ignore 300mph car nodding, tire movement visual, snapping behaviour, I guess I have to come up with another way of testing. Any suggestion?
What of the nodding? It´s an aerodynamic occurance, and has very little to do with dampers. You can slow it´s effect with overdamping 10/1 10/1, wich makes the front of the car "stand" on the dampers. Normally that is the springs job, but they are set as low as possible in 300 mph runs, and therefore, the dampers can be used as support to the cars front.
sucahyo
That is not how the damper works. hard damper is not equal to hard spring. If it's like that a car would only need spring, and yet they need damper too, or the opposite. On car damper and spring sometime separated, sometime combined.
Yes it is. Tell me if you have ever heard/seen or whatever, a case where hard springs have AS SOFT AS dampers as a soft spring, or vice versa. Hard spring will need a harder damper than a soft spring, period.

sucahyo
Are you saying harder damping causing the car to create "the very hard impact a sudden stop"?. A soft damping causing the car to create soft landing smooth stop? What about if the damping is too soft? it bounce back more or less? And when the force transfered to the car body happen if you describe harder damper create "the very hard impact a sudden stop".
A hard setting will transfer the impact through the suspension and in to the chassis, and in turn up your a$$, whilst a softer damping will absorb the impact better, but may rejump. Too soft, and a car will simply travel "through" the suspension, and thus bottoming out, sending the same pain through the seat as a too hard suspension will. Notice I say suspension here, since the dampers themselves cannot do much about this situation.
I already explain this before. About metalbar, from this link [QUOTE=sucahyo] I explain it a...again shows the flawed visual physics of GT4.

Please be aware that this post was written off-line as I am working in Italy this week and my hotel does not have internet access, as such I have no access to my normal sources of information and this post is principal written ‘off the top of my head’. Also a very strong possibility exists that this post may have been written under the influence of a combination of beer, wine and grappa.

Sucahyo
Up until now, my total GT4 playing hour is less than 24 hour. I use 3/4 of that time to do 300mph max speed test. Now, I can drive better in GT4 because I already found a code to make GT2 drive more like GT4.
You’re total time with GT4 is less than 24 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’m sorry but given the very aggressive and superior attitude you display this is absurd. 24 hours is not enough time on GT4 to determine anything, let alone to make a determination about how damper values work.

I have spent more time than that on the Caterham test alone, in fact I would estimate that my GT4 playing time is at least 750+ hours (at an average of 2 hours a day over a year).

You lack time and experience in GT4 and in the real world experience of driving, tuning and the theory of how a car works, yet you display one of the single most arrogant attitudes I have ever had the misfortune to encounter.

I have spent most of my adult time working with and around cars and vehicle testing (and have been a car and motorsport nut since I was a kid); at 35 years of age that has given me a great deal of experience in this subject and area. Yet you continue to question and doubt my knowledge and experience (this is not the first time) and I have to say that given your limited and basic understanding of this subject I find this both condescending and insulting. I hate to say this, but I think you will find that my experience and knowledge is not at question here, yours is.

Sucahyo
Let me explain it step by step. You talking like it all happen at once.

*snip*

It sound like cartoon movie ..............
This is a great example of the arrogance I was talking about, you are telling me what I have said (using an example I did not use) and insulting me at the same time.

You can try and explain using a car being dropped all you like, it has nothing to do with what I am talking about at all. I’ve said that before and I am saying it again.

Sucahyo
From what I know, if the force transfered to the car, it will do some damage to the car. If the car is strong, it will do some damage to the road. If both are strong I don't know. But metal car do not store energy as good as spring. And it can't make the car to jump back to the air again !
What in the world are you talking about now? Cars damaging the road?

Sucahyo
I am not about to explain over and over again what you seem to be the only person who fails to understand.

Additionally the sheer naivety of using films as an example!!!! You do know that the vast majority of cars using in movies of this nature are destroyed in the process? Obviously not or you would not use sure a ridiculous example.
In the rally world a jump of 1 metre is far from high (so you know little about rallying either), but a rally car is very different to a road car, they are specifically designed to withstand forces of this nature, and even then they still get damaged in the process.

Passenger road cars are not designed to withstand forces of this nature and would almost certain suffer damage of some kind in this scenario (but then again what would I know – after all this is only the industry I work in).

Sucahyo
I am sure the car joint will break first before it can fight back. A direct frontal hit do not make the car bounce back if the speed is high enough doesn't it? Are you saying you never hit a fence or wall before?
Maybe you should try it and see how much the car bounce back. I am sure it will bounce back if you hit it at 5 mph. but hitting those at 30mph will surely break something.
I forget the formula for calculting speed from drop. But it's not important, there is no way car body alone can make the car doing re jump again.
Now you are using a car crash as an example (and encouraging me to go and have an accident – as a mod I would advise you to be very careful here), and once again displaying a limited knowledge of the automotive world.

Modern cars are designed to crumple in a pre-designed manner upon impact, this ‘progressive deformation’ is designed to absorb much of the force of an impact and direct the remaining force around the passenger cell to minimise injuries. This is a subject I have trained hundreds of people on; I have actually witnessed crash tests and seen the results first hand.

When a car hits a very solid object (such as a concrete barrier used in many crash tests) it will bounce back to a degree, I have personally seen this happen. Have you ever witnessed a crash test? If not with what authority do you speak with on this matter?

Also why are you again talking about a car being dropped again, this has nothing to do with this subject (neither has a car crash – but this needed correcting).

Also I have said nothing about ‘re-jumping’ a term you have coined and used.

Sucahyo
That is a good link. But there is no where in those link explaining that when the force will go to the car it will make it jump. It assume the car body is full rigid body to simplify calculation. It does not explain car elasticity like you mention.
Then you need to read it much more carefully, a simplistic car-as-rigid-body would just launch ballistically from the top of the bump.
This quite clearly says that if a car is too stiff to be able to drive over a bump then it will be launched off the bump.

Sucahyo
I don't dismiss this link. It just that this link doesn't explain your statement.
I can use this link to explain that spring and damper work together to smooth out the sudden impulses.

I think I will wait until you get back, maybe you can show more direct explanation. And if you can't find this in skip barber book, it is either:
- you miss it
- skip barber do not cover it
- it does not happen in real life

I choose third option, car dropping from height can be pushed back to the air with car body elasticity does not happen in real life
Again you are talking about dropping a car from a height, neither the link I posted or the article I linked to discuss dropping a car from a height, only you do and it has not relevance to this at all.

And yes this article does confirm that suspension can smooth out sudden impulses, but it also explains that the bigger the bump and/or the faster you encounter it, then the more force it will put on the suspension system.
You seem to have either been very selective about which parts of the article you have read or you have not fully understood it.

Sucahyo
Confusing, What do you mean transfered? The suspension suddently not moving? Looking at the suspension construction, can you explain using this picture?
If the suspension system is too stiff then it will be unable to react quickly enough to the force it encounters. The excess of force has to go somewhere, and it is transferred to the cars body (this is not conjecture) and the result can be that the cars body is forced up, this is not a result of your strange ‘re-jump’ term, rather something that occurs during the bound phase when the suspension is too stiff to respond quickly enough to the force placed upon it.

You can chose to dismiss or ignore this, that I can’t stop, but if you do you are ignoring and dismissing a basic fact of suspension reaction.

Sucahyo
It is definitely not because roll limiter bounce it back, but due to car weight being affected by gravitation simulation.

Sucahyo
It will only dampen the movement, not springing them. If the force depleted, it will go to whatever force still working.

Sucahyo
I don't say that it hang's there. I wish my english is better, too many understanding from incorrect word. I mean to say it stop the rolling or pitching by dampening the kinetic energy too, not halted the car.
Your explanations of this are very incomplete and vague at times (also very inconsistent), what is clear (and beyond dispute) is that GT4 will not allow a car to flip or roll. The steps GT4 takes to stop this (however you describe them) results in a very unrealistic reaction. Which I and others believe is causing you a great deal of confusion.

Sucahyo
I see, this is your explanation for car bouncing from higher value.
But you shouldn't forget that my previous roll experiment use PhD reference that state car roll is reduced by stiffer damper AND stiffer spring rate at bound and increased by stiffer damper AND stiffer spring rate at rebound.
As I have explained above and many, many times before this has nothing at all to do with car roll, rather GT4s attempt to stop a car flipping or rolling.

Sucahyo
No it can go the opposite, both damper and spring rate has to be matched.
In regard to the Integra test, I am sorry but you are so wide of the mark here it is beyond comprehension. While it is true that a car with very soft springs and dampers can produce a similar effect, it is far, far less likely. If you can’t see or understand this then you need to seriously look again at the way forces act upon a car. Quite simply put the single most likely reason this will happen in the real world (and the reason it does happen in the real world) is down to a very stiff car hitting a bump at speed and the suspension being unable to cope with the force.

The alternative that you are suggesting is that real world touring cars run very soft suspension settings, and quite frankly that suggestion is totally ridiculous.

The BTCC touring cars I used as real world examples run suspension settings that are stiff and the jump is a result of these stiff settings when the car impacts a curb. The same is true of GT4.

Sucahyo
You should realize that your explanation about stiffer damper make the car jump more do not match the skip barber quote.
Yes it does!!!! The Skip Barker quotes (that I provided and you disputed) clearly states that a stiffer car will struggle to cope with a bumpy track and is more likely to result in a car losing contact with the track surface.

Nothing I have posted disagrees with the Skip Barber quotes I have posted; again you have either chosen to ignore these posts or misunderstood them.

Sucahyo
21", I have difficulty seeing it in 21", so I assume seeing it in 14" is close to impossible. You don't notice wheel vibration in your test so I assume you use something that is make it hard to see, like 14" set or LCD set or Plasma set or something. From what I see now, you just ignore it.
So you were making another wild and bizarre assumption, this time that I was looking at GT4 with a 14” set. I have no idea why anyone would chose to make such a strange and bizarre assumption?

Sucahyo
Sorry, I forget that they have to simulate real car as first priority.
If PD use 2.0/1.0 camber for FC suspension, why don't they use 4.0/2.0 camber for stock car. If they want to mimic real car as close as possible why don't they use 0.0/0.0 camber for FC suspension too.
Original quote: "Just like PD fool us into thinking that 2.0/1.0 camber is the best combination because every road car with FC suspension have that value as default. And yet PD use 0.0/0.0 camber for every stock car, which is I think very unresponsible . If stock car has softer spring than FC suspension why they don't use camber value like 4.0/2.0 for it ?"

This can make people assume that we must use lower camber when we use softer spring. You all car expert so you should have no problem telling that this is only a blunder, what about people who don't know. That is irresponsible. That is not educating people. It fool people.

Congratulation to you all that was not fooled by this.
I honestly think that the only person who has potentially been fooled by this is you.

PD had to pick a value to use and I have no issue at all with the values they decided on. It neither irresponsible nor designed to fool people, I just think that you like to try and find issues and problems when none exist.

Quite simply the only person who I have ever seen make an issue of this is you; and it’s not worth making an issue of. I do however think it is a very clear indicator of your personality.

Sucahyo
After you say the car can re jump more when using stiffer damper in real life Scaff, I believe my opinion more.
I really have a hard time believing that it's not a mistype.

So, do you ever discussed this thing in real life with real expert Scaff? Car can rejump higher because stiffer damper? Do you conclude it on your own or from someone or some book?
It’s not a mistype at all, and this comment I find quite frankly insulting.
I train people in the motor industry, and have done for many years. I tend to shy away from stating it directly, but enough is enough. I am a damn expert in this area* it is what I do for a living and quite frankly I have had enough of your patronising and arrogant attitude, you do not fully understand what you are talking about, but are too damn vain and stubborn to admit it.

This has nothing to do with your phrase of ‘re-jump’ and to be blunt the only person who has a problem understanding this is you. I don’t know if this caused by a problem understanding English, or an unwillingness to accept that you may be wrong on this matter.

I conclude this from the physics of how a car reacts when it encounters a bump at speed, I have provided numerous links and sources of information that confirm and prove this.

As I am currently stuck in a hotel in Italy this week I downloaded this entire thread are have re-read every word of it and consistently you have misunderstood and misinterpreted clear and straightforward facts posted by a range of people. Anything that contradicts your point of view you seem to misinterpret or change, coming up with the most unlikely (and illogical) ‘proof’ to match you’re beliefs.

You demand proof from people and then dismiss it out of hand when it is provided, yet believe that you are above such requirements and that we should accept what you say as fact without any back up or basis.
Quite simply you have neither the experience with GT4 nor the real world, nor are you able to provide any real world examples or information that supports you’re claims.

If this sounds like a harsh post, then I am sorry, but I make no apologies for that. I feel that I have been more than patient with you, despite your constant rejection and dismissal of my experience and everything I have said.
You constantly (as others have said) take this thread off on bizarre and un-needed tangents that do not move this thread forward and dismiss clear and logical comments simply because they do not support your (solitary) view.

I implore you to take major step back from this and spend much more time with GT4 and actually spend some time running these tests. I mean if you have spent less than 24 hours in total with GT4 and only a ¼ of that on anything but 300mph runs, then how can you have actually spent any real time running the Caterham tests I have described? I don’t see how you could have done this and experienced any real results.

You also need to start looking at more than just visual info and start experiencing the feel, handling and noise differences, you dismiss these (as again they do not meet you’re beliefs) without spending anywhere near enough time with GT4 to have got an even basic understanding of them.

Regards

Scaff

*If working as a professional trainer in the Automotive industry, who specialises in the areas of aftersales and product launch training, and has trained hundreds if not thousands of people qualifies me. I have written, contributed to and peer reviewed both theoretical and technical papers and training manuals on a wide range of areas and subjects for many different manufacturers and companies.

:dunce: omg I don't know what to say anymore..
You're obviously thinking about it all too complicately
I'm trying to explain it better this time:
When a tire hits a bump, pretty small one this time, it will go up with the bump starting to transfer the kinetic force upward. If your dampers are soft, they will allow your springs compress fast enough and absorb the force so all of it is not transferred to the car's body. If your dampers are hard, this time the springs won't be able to compress because dampers are preventing it. That means the force continues to move upwards to the car body where all that sheet and body metal absorb most of it. Remember that those forces occurring are all oscillations, not direct upward/downward forces.
After you truly understand this concept, you'll also be able to see that in GT4 the damper value 10 is softest and 1 hardest :)

Speed Drifter
:dunce: omg I don't know what to say anymore..
You're obviously thinking about it all too complicately
When a tire hits a bump, pretty small one this time, it will go up with the bump starting to transfer the kinetic force upward. If your dampers are soft, they will allow your springs compress fast enough and absorb the force so all of it is not transferred to the car's body. If your dampers are hard, this time the springs won't be able to compress because dampers are preventing it. That means the force continues to move upwards to the car body where all that sheet and body metal absorb most of it. Remember that those forces occurring are all oscillations, not direct upward/downward forces.
After you truly understand this concept, you'll also be able to see that in GT4 the damper value 10 is softest and 1 hardest :)

While I would agree with the basic principals of what you have described, dampers are complex (as you said yourself in your last post).

I don't however agree at all with your statement that GT4 damper values are higher = softer. Every test I have carried out (and we are talking many, many, many hours of testing here) leads me to believe that higher = firmer.

I understand this concept very well and have no problem discussing it to an in-depth level, hell most of the in-depth info in this thread came from me. That does not mean that I agree with you on GT4 damper settings.

Regards

Scaff

Scaff
While I would agree with the basic principals of what you have described, dampers are complex (as you said yourself in your last post).

I don't however agree at all with your statement that GT4 damper values are higher = softer. Every test I have carried out (and we are talking many, many, many hours of testing here) leads me to believe that higher = firmer.

I understand this concept very well and have no problem discussing it to an in-depth level, hell most of the in-depth info in this thread came from me. That does not mean that I agree with you on GT4 damper settings.

Regards

Scaff
OH no I didn't mean to say that! Of course it's just the other way around, lower value being softer and higher being stiffer.
I don't know what got into me when I was typing that post up, I feel really ashamed now :guilty:

Anyway, that original post was addressed to sucahyo, not you, I just failed and forgot to mention it. I'm not doubting at all your knowledge and expertise on this matter.

I am busy right now so I can only post my reason for mentioning car drop from 1 meter height first, I hope I can reply you all later today.

The car reaction after dropping car from 1 meter height

(image from Greycap's gallery :))
Image just an illustration of what I mean, it show less than 1 meter drop.

Need for speed Porsche Unlimited (Porsche 2000)
Car with stock shocks will bounce more than car with sport or semi racing shocks

Midtown Madness 2 (file edit)
Car with low damper value will bounce more than high

Gran Turismo 1
Car with damper 1 will bounce more than 10

Gran Turismo 2
Car with damper 10 will bounce more than 1

Gran Turismo 4

So, I conclude that GT2 and GT4 have reversed damper value.

Please be aware that this post was written off-line as I am working in Italy this week and my hotel does not have internet access, as such I have no access to my normal sources of information and this post is principal written ‘off the top of my head’. Also a very strong possibility exists that this post may have been written under the influence of a combination of beer, wine and grappa.

Speed Drifter
OH no I didn't mean to say that! Of course it's just the other way around, lower value being softer and higher being stiffer.
I don't know what got into me when I was typing that post up, I feel really ashamed now :guilty:

Anyway, that original post was addressed to sucahyo, not you, I just failed and forgot to mention it. I'm not doubting at all your knowledge and expertise on this matter.
Not a problem at all, although I think Sucahyo may not be so happy, I think he was under the impression that he had someone who shared his (in my opinion incorrect) opinion.

Sucahyo
Why are you constantly trying to look at how dampers work with an example of a car being dropped from a height? How many times do you see this happening? As I walk or drive around I see plenty of examples of everyday suspension actions, or I can turn on the TV and watch a range of motorsport for more ‘extreme’ examples. None of these involve a car being dropped squarely on the ground from a height of 1 metre.Even the example you give above is hardly a common event, very few tracks in GT4 allow you to jump to that degree, and even then this is not example the same as you example as the car also has forward velocity. Suspension reactions occur constantly when a car is moving and react to throttle, brake and steering inputs all the time; so why ignore these and insist on an uncommon event that is of far less importance to track driving.

Why not look at much more straightforward and logical examples from the real world?

For you’re reading pleasure I have extracted a number of good descriptions of real world damper activity, some are basic and some more in-depth. I hope they help.

The Suspension Bible
Strangely enough, absorb shocks. Actually they dampen the vertical motion induced by driving your car along a rough surface. If your car only had springs, it would boat and wallow along the road until you got physically sick and had to get out. Or at least until it fell apart.
Shock absorbers perform two functions. Firstly, they absorb any larger-than-average bumps in the road so that the shock isn't transmitted to the car chassis. Secondly, they keep the suspension at as full a travel as possible for the given road conditions. Shock absorbers keep your wheels planted on the road. Without them, your car would be a travelling deathtrap.

You want more technical terms? Technically they are called dampers. Even more technically, they are velocity-sensitive hydraulic damping devices - in other words, the faster they move, the more resistance there is to that movement. They work in conjunction with the springs. The spring allows movement of the wheel to allow the energy in the road shock to be transformed into kinetic energy of the unsprung mass, whereupon it is dissipated by the damper. The damper does this by forcing gas or oil through a constriction valve (a small hole). Adjustable shock absorbers allow you to change the size of this constriction, and thus control the rate of damping.

The smaller the constriction, the stiffer the suspension. Phew!....and you thought they just leaked oil didn't you?

How Stuff Works
A shock absorber is basically an oil pump placed between the frame of the car and the wheels. The upper mount of the shock connects to the frame (i.e., the sprung weight), while the lower mount connects to the axle, near the wheel (i.e., the unsprung weight). In a twin-tube design, one of the most common types of shock absorbers, the upper mount is connected to a piston rod, which in turn is connected to a piston, which in turn sits in a tube filled with hydraulic fluid. The inner tube is known as the pressure tube, and the outer tube is known as the reserve tube. The reserve tube stores excess hydraulic fluid.

When the car wheel encounters a bump in the road and causes the spring to coil and uncoil, the energy of the spring is transferred to the shock absorber through the upper mount, down through the piston rod and into the piston. Orifices perforate the piston and allow fluid to leak through as the piston moves up and down in the pressure tube. Because the orifices are relatively tiny, only a small amount of fluid, under great pressure, passes through. This slows down the piston, which in turn slows down the spring.

Shock absorbers work in two cycles -- the compression cycle and the extension cycle. The compression cycle occurs as the piston moves downward, compressing the hydraulic fluid in the chamber below the piston. The extension cycle occurs as the piston moves toward the top of the pressure tube, compressing the fluid in the chamber above the piston. A typical car or light truck will have more resistance during its extension cycle than its compression cycle. With that in mind, the compression cycle controls the motion of the vehicle's unsprung weight, while extension controls the heavier, sprung weight.

All modern shock absorbers are velocity-sensitive -- the faster the suspension moves, the more resistance the shock absorber provides. This enables shocks to adjust to road conditions and to control all of the unwanted motions that can occur in a moving vehicle, including bounce, sway, brake dive and acceleration squat.

Edmunds.com
The other main part of a car's suspension is the shock absorber. Contrary to its name, a shock absorber plays a minimal role in absorbing impacts taken by the suspension. That's the spring's job. A shock absorber dampens road impacts by converting the up and down oscillations of the spring into thermal energy.

People who live and breathe shock absorbers don't like the term shock absorbers; they prefer "dampers." The unwashed masses -- that's you and me -- just call them shock absorbers.

Without a shock absorber, a spring that has absorbed energy will release it by oscillating at an uncontrolled rate. The spring's inertia causes it to bounce and overextend itself. Then it recompresses, but again travels too far. The spring continues to bounce at its natural frequency until all the energy originally put into the spring is used up by friction. This effect can be quite detrimental to the stability of a vehicle.

Confused? OK, here's an analogy. If you have a Slinky lying around -- and who doesn't these days? -- you can use it as an example. Hold up a compressed Slinky in the air with your hand. Now hold just one end and let the other drop. The Slinky will absorb the potential energy caused by gravity (just like how a car's spring absorbs road shock) and then bounce up and down, up and down (aka: oscillate), for a long time. This what an automotive spring does if it doesn't have a shock absorber attached to it.

Perhaps you've heard the word "strut," or, more formally, MacPherson strut. Struts are simply shock absorbers used as major structural members. For struts, the shock absorber is placed inside the coil spring. In addition to saving space, it often costs less. Many cars use a strut design.

Shocks and struts help control how fast the suspension is allowed to move, which is important for keeping the tires in contact with the road. Most shock absorber designs have more resistance during the extension (rebound) cycle than the compression cycle. This is because the extension cycle controls the motion of the vehicle's sprung weight (half of the suspension and everything else above the suspension). The compression cycle, on the other hand, controls the motion of unsprung weight (wheels, tires, brakes, and half of the suspension). Obviously, there is a lot more weight in the upper part of the car than unsprung weight in the lower part of the car.

Ohlins Damper Tuning Manual
Function
The function, in principle, is that fluid is forced through needle valves at a low rate of flow and through a number of apertures in the piston at a high rate of flow. The flow through these apertures is regulated by shims (thin steel washers) that at high pressure are deflected to open for the fluid. On some models the needle valves can be set individually. By altering the size of the shims-stack (i.e. number, thickness, diameter) the characteristics of the damping action can be varied.

Compression Damping
When the movement of the vehicle causes compression in the shock absorber, the fluid flows through the needle valve (combined compression and return valve) in the piston rod. If the velocity of the piston is high, ie, in the case of rapid compression, this will not be sufficient and consequently the shims underneath the piston will open to allow a greater rate of flow. The fluid that is displaced by the volume of the piston rod is forced into the external chamber via a separate compression valve. Even this valve is fitted with shims that open at high piston velocity. The separating piston is displaced, thus increasing the gas pressure.

Rebound Damping
When the spring presses the shock absorber out again, the fluid flows back through the needle valve in the piston rod. The fluid flowing into the chamber is forced by the pressure of the gas back into the shock absorber via a separate non-return valve. If the velocity of the piston is high, the shims on the top of the piston will also open to allow the fluid to flow through.

Setting the damping
The adjusting possibilities of Ohlins shock absorbers facilitate fine setting. You can optimise adjustments to suit your own vehicles weight and equipment, your individual way of driving and the condition of the track. To be able to improve the road holding qualities it is of the utmost importance that you fully understand the functioning of the shock absorbers. Then you can learn by trail and error how they effect the vehicle.

Depending on the model there are adjustments for rebound damping and compression damping. Damping is set with the knobs, they have a normal right-hand thread. By turning clockwise they increase the damping action and anticlockwise they reduce it. The knobs have definite positions with a noticeable “click”, so that it is easy to count the right setting.

Rebound damping action affects the characteristics of the vehicle the most. The setting knob is at the bottom of the piston rod. It can be adjusted in about 40 steps. The compression damping knob is on the top of the cylinder. This can be adjusted in about 25 steps.

The last one of these quotes (the one from the Ohlins manual) mentions something that is vital in real world dampers that is missing from GT4 tuning (but included in true sims such as Richard Burns Rally and GTR) which is the difference between high and low speed damping.

First to be clear this is not the speed of the car here, but the speed at which force is applied to the damper.

Low speed damping (when the force is applied slowly) occurs constantly when the car is moving and passes over tiny changes in the road surface.

Low speed damping is almost always very soft, as the force acting on the suspension is low and the movement of the suspension will be small and does not need to be tightly controlled and is very unlikely to cause the spring to go into uncontrolled oscillations. As the damping action is soft the suspension will be able to react very, very quickly to these small surface variations and smooth them out.

High speed damping occurs when the force is applied to the damper quickly and is always (in a correctly set-up car) much stiffer than low speed damping. High speed damping can be felt when you pass over a larger bump at speed (as the article on bumps I included previous explains the force of a bump increases in intensity by a factor of 4 in relation to the speed at which you hit it). The main function of high-speed damping is to tightly control the springs during a massive application of force, one that could possibly send them into uncontrolled oscillations, the side effect of this is that should you hit a bump too fast the suspension is now so stiff that it is unable to react quickly enough to the force applied during the bound phase and some of this energy will be passed through the suspension to the car.

This difference between the two can be quite clearly felt in a road car when you come across a speed-bump (very common in the UK), if you drive across one slowly the damping will be low-speed (remember the speed of the damper action not the car speed) and the car will pass relatively smoothly over the speed-bump.

However if you drive over a speed-bump slightly quicker and the dampers go into high-speed damping (and this might only be a few mph more – it depends on how the damper is setup) the damping action will be much, much stiffer, and the passage over the speed-bump will be very hard and uncomfortable.

Attack a speed-bump at speed (and I do not advise this at all) and the level of force involved (and unable to be controlled or contained by the suspension) can cause the car to leave the ground; this will of course depend on the car and its suspension settings.

Speed-bumps are designed to take account of the changes in low and high speed damper reactions to make it far, far more uncomfortable to drive over a speed-bump at speed and therefore slow you down.

In the real world when you encounter a curb at high speed (think again about the increase in force from a bump at speed), as in the Integra test, the forces involved are going to act on the suspension very quickly, putting it into high-speed damping. This is why the argument that in the real world the results of the Integra test could come from a soft setting is simply rubbish, yes they it is theoretically possible. But only if the engineer set high speed damping as low as the low speed damping which would make the car un-driveable, this is quite simply a factor of firm high speed damping in action. To suggest anything different show a total lack of understanding of how dampers work.

GT4 does not allow us to separately control high and low speed damping (which is a great shame), but it would seem very unlikely that a racing sim would make low speed damping to dominant force, as this would result in a lot of cars wallowing around at slow speeds.

It is far more likely that GT4 allow high-speed damping to be the dominant factor, as these forces are more likely to be encountered. This would also make the suggestion that my Integra test (or the Caterham test) loss of contact to have been caused by soft damping to be very, very unlikely.

Sucahyo
Well, I am more concern than enjoy. You should know that I agree with you all in page 10, but after trying it myself I must go back to my original opinion damper 10 is softest.
Exactly how long did you spend testing the Caterham? How many laps did you run of Deep Forest? Did you drive yourself or use B-spec?

I ask these questions because of your statement that you have played GT4 for less that 24 hours and outside of 300mph work (which you say is approx ¾ of that time) that would be at most 6 hours.

I do not personally believe that you have put in enough ‘wheel’ time with GT4 to talk with any degree of authority in regard to car behaviour. The example tune I used in my tuning guide took more that 6 hours before I was 100% happy with the set-up.

Dave_George has spent more time tuning cars at the ‘ring (for the excellent NRS he ran) than just about anyone I know. As the ‘ring is one of the single bumpiest tracks in GT4 he should know more than a little about suspension reaction over bumps and how best to manage it. Yet you dismiss his ‘wheel’ time and experience out of hand.

Sucahyo
After knowing that as a driver instructor Scaff believe that car can rebounce higher when using stiffer spring it is become serious. If I am wrong, I will just get flamed, or banned as maximum. But if Scaff wrong he has his job as his bet. I am worry about that.
As I have now explained more times that I care to, this has nothing to do with ‘rebounce’, by which I assume you mean the suspension has completed it bound phase and is in rebound. If you believe that I am suggesting that the rebound of the suspension is forcing the car to leave the ground then you have totally misunderstood what I am saying.

As I said in my last post If the suspension system is too stiff then it will be unable to react quickly enough to the force it encounters. The excess of force has to go somewhere, and it is transferred to the cars body (this is not conjecture) and the result can be that the cars body is forced up, this is not a result of your strange ‘re-jump’ term, rather something that occurs during the bound phase when the suspension is too stiff to respond quickly enough to the force placed upon it.

In regard to you getting banned for this, I fail to see why that would happen?
As far as I go, I don’t recall betting my job on this? Why would I and why should I worry about it? Are you planning to come to the UK and steal my job based on this thread - LOL, because I can honestly say that I’m not worried about it in the least?

Sucahyo
In order to prove that damper 10 is softest, I must know what everyone think about how the damper works in real life and how GT4 simulates it. Previously I discuss how real life damper simulated in GT4. But now my first priority is discussing how real life damper works. But still I will test what everyone advised me to test, including suspension movement when braking, even if Team666 said it is unreliable. All test that previously suggested by everyone still give me result that damper 10 is softest.
Do you not see the contradictions you have presented in the above paragraph?

First you state that you discussed how real life damper is simulated in GT4 and then go on to say that you must discuss how real life dampers work.
How can you discuss how dampers are simulated in GT4 if you do not fully understand how they work in real life?

Next you say that you wish to test everything that has been advised, including the suspension movement under braking. Now this test was covered in my last Caterham test, which you have clearly stated you have tested and found to prove your point. You can’t say in one post that you have tested something and then a moment later say you still have to test it.

Lastly you say that All test that previously suggested by everyone still give me result that damper 10 is softest, but you have clearly stated that you have spent at most 6 hours in GT4 away from 300mph runs. How did you manage to carry out all these tests in detail in such a short period of time?

I’m sorry but this does little more than confirm to me that you can’t have carried out these tests to a degree that would be required to fully explore and examine them in such a short period of time. So exactly how are you reaching these conclusions?

Sucahyo
No one here has ignored these areas at all, they have all be covered by various contributors to this thread; however as has been pointed out by Team666, the 300mph runs are influenced by downforce to a large degree.

Visual tire movement has not been ignored, I have said that it can not be used as the only source of testing (which was what you proposed),.

Finally in regard to snapping behaviour or any other kind of handling or feel based evidence, it was I and others that insisted that feedback of this nature was essential, at a time when you were insisting that the only proof you would accept was visual.

You statement above is quite simply ignoring the information provided by almost every other member who has posted in this thread, not only that you change tact in a manner that tries to make it appear that everyone else is being intractable.

Sucahyo
No it just explaining when the damper too stiff the car bouncing because the force goes to the car body, he did not explain what happen if the damper is little softer, medium, soft or very soft.

Yes I have, I’m sorry but that statement is quite simply not true. I have (once again more times that I want to think about) discussed how dampers react at different settings. Have you actually bothered to read the guide I spent so long writing, as this covers it in plenty of detail.

Additionally the discussion was principally in regard to you stating that it was not possible for a car with firm damper settings to leave the track surface if it encountered a bump or curb at speed. To be blunt you were wrong about this and have simply tried to change the direction and tone of the thread to divert attention away from this and avoid another indicator that in GT4 higher values are stiffer.

Sucahyo
I already explain this before. About metalbar, from this link http://www.miata.net/sport/Physics/15-Bumps-In-The-Road.html from Scaff this describe the car as brick, and yet it does not jump flip or tilt over in the calculation, it even make calculation easier, no jumping or irregularity whatsoever. the car with metalbar will move like a projectile when meeting bump, starting from the top of the bump creating parabolic curve until landing. When landing it does not jump but following the road contour again.
Do you think that other people will bother to click on the link and look at that thread, the author (who is a Physics PhD has a very different idea of what simple calculations are to the average person). You are again being selective and overly restrictive in how you look at information. You say above that the article does not describe a car jumping, and then say that it covers a car leaving the ground in a parabolic curve. Now to me a car that leaves the ground has jumped in one way or the other, or are we in a situation again that sees you refuse to accept an article unless it contains and exact word you demand.

The point of the article was to show that a car encountering a bump can be subjected to sufficient force to leave the ground (if the suspension is so stiff that it can not react to the impact), it quite clearly does this (if you are able to follow the piece). After all you disputed that a car could do this, when you said Brick (Car body) do not have jumping power, which was a misreading of what I said. The point of this article (and I quite clearly said this) was to point out that it is more than possible for a car to leave the ground when it hits a bump, also that a stiffer car (and a car with solid suspension – which is what is being used as an example here) is about as stiff as you can get) is highly likely to leave the ground if it hits a large enough bump at a high enough speed.

However you again (as in the last section) have tryed to change the direction of the subject, why is that? If I may be honest I believe it is because you are struggling at times to fully understand what is happening here (and I must confess I hesitated before posting that article and link because of its highly detailed nature in regard to the physics) and seem to be jumping around from subject to subject.

You have also now started to try and imply that other members are the ones who are dismissing certain pieces of information regarding damper testing. This I find quite rude, as for the longest time you refused to accept any information apart from visual data. Even stating that when testing GT2 dampers you used a PC emulator and the keyboard to drive the cars (or used a CPU driver), therefore removing all information and feedback relating to feel and handling.

It has been the other members in this thread that have insisted that to correctly be able to draw an accurate conclusion on damper values you need to include all sources of information and not be dependent on a single source.

Both my Caterham tests and Integra tests have used every type of feedback and information that we have available to us (and I am still looking at ways of increasing the amount of info). As a side note on this you are now grabbing at Team666’s comment on the FGT (in which it was noted that the wishbones did not move at all) and using it to dismiss my Caterham test; now while the FGT suspension may well not move in any way (I personally can’t confirm this as I am in Italy with work – but look forward to trying it for myself) the Caterham Fireblade’s wishbones certainly does. It moves quite clearly, and anyone who has tried my tests and taken the time to fully analyse the replay would know (wait didn’t you say you had carried out these tests fully!!!!!).

This is why I and others have always said that any analyses of damper values needs to look at any and all sources of information, not just visual.

As I have said I believe that you need to spend some serious time with a range of cars in GT4 (and may I suggest using the Nurburgring as a good bumpy track) and run careful and detailed tests before fully making you mind up.

sucahyo
I am busy right now so I can only post my reason for mentioning car drop from 1 meter height first, I hope I can reply you all later today.
Image just an illustration of what I mean, it show less than 1 meter drop.
As I mentioned at the start of this post, that is neither an everyday occurance, nor a straightforward drop as you describe.

sucahyo
Car with stock shocks will bounce more than car with sport or semi racing shocks
Agree

sucahyo
Agree, but MM2 is hardly the last word in sims is it!

sucahyo
Gran Turismo 1
Agree, but the engine is very basic when compared to the best around now.

sucahyo
Gran Turismo 2
Disagree, as I have said before

sucahyo
Gran Turismo 4
Disagree very, very strongly.

sucahyo
Disagree and as I have said I do not believe that you have enough time with GT4 to fully explore this, and as I have mentioned before I believe that your use of a hacked values, PC emulator, CPU drivers and a keyboard on GT2 have caused problems with your results.

Regards

Scaff

BTW – You may have also noticed that I have edited the title of this thread (very slightly) and added a question mark at the end. I have done this because no statement of fact exists about damper settings being softer at higher settings; it is a question being asked. I do not want the threads title misleading those too lazy to read it in full.

Speed Drifter

Phew, no need to feel ashamed either.

sucahyo

Gran Turismo 1

Gran Turismo 2

Gran Turismo 4

Once again you have brought in other issues that have nothing to do with GT4, this time its how cars bounce in Need for speed Porsche amongst others??

The Integra test should have been more than enough to answer your question's in full, the two photo's clearly show just how a stiffer damper will affect how the car handles the kerb.

Once again I think you need to do more work with GT4 and stop involving other game's/simulator's and the issue of dropping cars from height as it is NOT relevant.

David

Cheers for successful gtplanet recovery to Jordan :cheers: :).

Scaff, I just realise how funny our situation is:
I, who do not have proper car education background, try to convince that the car will bounce back more on softer damper to a car expert like you.
You, who do not have proper IT education background, try to convince that all weird suspension behaviour is because GT4 roll/flip limiter to a game hacker like me.

Ok, assume that I have wrong knowledge about real life damper. That doesn't automatically make your opinion about roll limiter can cause unpredictable behaviour correct. The car can not flip in GT4 is not proof. If the effect is linier to damper value, we have to associates .

You depend on flip limiter code as a reasonable explanation (which is not) too much. If this proven to be wrong, do you have any other explanation?

@Team666, you should read carefully the quote that Scaff post. It explain how the damper works. Hard damper not equal to hard spring. Stronger damper will stop spring better, stronger spring can overcome damper stopping power better.

Team666
What of the nodding? It´s an aerodynamic occurance, and has very little to do with dampers. You can slow it´s effect with overdamping 10/1 10/1, wich makes the front of the car "stand" on the dampers. Normally that is the springs job, but they are set as low as possible in 300 mph runs, and therefore, the dampers can be used as support to the cars front.
I know, but I am not talking about how it happen, I am talking about how damper change it. And it seems we agree lower damper number slowing it down. slower = stiffer.

Team666
A hard setting will transfer the impact through the suspension and in to the chassis, and in turn up your a$$, whilst a softer damping will absorb the impact better, but may rejump. Too soft, and a car will simply travel "through" the suspension, and thus bottoming out, sending the same pain through the seat as a too hard suspension will.
Yes, what I am saying is the more you feel pain in your body, the less the car will bounce. harder damper = less bounce.

What you say:
"A soft damping may cause a rejump, but the car itself, and its passangers, will most likely endure that better than the very hard impact a sudden stop would produce."
I agree. And the car shouldn't bouncing after a sudden stop.

"If the car is very stiff (metalbar) it will NOT follow the contour of the surface, but jump, flip and tilt over any irregularities (the Integra is a good example here). This is a hard setting, and it also shows that 10=hard!"
I don't agree. Based on Brian Beckman's quoted by Scaff. It will follow the road countour based on gravity and velocity rule, no jumping activity happen.

Team666
If you only had the spring, you would not be able to get the right momentum for jumping over a period of time. It has to be damped, in order to get the right momentum from the spring.
Momentum comes from car weight +/- tire. Its car weight vs spring power.

Team666
You should bounce back a bit. Find some crashtesting movies, and watch them. But the lesser the bounce, the safer the car, since it absorbs more of the impact energy if it crumbels, than if it would be unharmed, as in GT4.
Yes.

Team666
But this is poorly simulated, since you somehow get stuck to the surface you crash against, and there might even be a 180' flatspin in some cases. Really wierd, and again shows the flawed visual physics of GT4.
it's not visual physics that flawed, it's the internal physics which reflected to visual.

Scaff
You can try and explain using a car being dropped all you like, it has nothing to do with what I am talking about at all.
What are you talking about? I lost track.

Scaff
Additionally the sheer naivety of using films as an example!!!! You do know that the vast majority of cars using in movies of this nature are destroyed in the process? Obviously not or you would not use sure a ridiculous example.
Ok, lets forget about the film. Although I still want to talk about police chase or JC video.

Scaff
In the rally world a jump of 1 metre is far from high (so you know little about rallying either), but a rally car is very different to a road car, they are specifically designed to withstand forces of this nature, and even then they still get damaged in the process.
Oh? I thought 1 meter is too high after hearing this: "dropping a road car from any significant height would actually snap the suspension mounting points, as the force was transferred through the suspension (almost certainly unable to cope ? road cars are not designed to be dropped). Which again proves the point I am making."
I though 1 meter is significant. How fast the car dropping speed is after 1 meter drop? 5mph?

Scaff
Passenger road cars are not designed to withstand forces of this nature and would almost certain suffer damage of some kind in this scenario (but then again what would I know – after all this is only the industry I work in).
Are we talking about 1 meter drop here? 1 meter drop can make suspension unable to react fast enough?

Scaff
When a car hits a very solid object (such as a concrete barrier used in many crash tests) it will bounce back to a degree, I have personally seen this happen. Have you ever witnessed a crash test? If not with what authority do you speak with on this matter?
Ok, if we relate this to car bounce, the car will bounce back in about 1cm if the suspension is not reacting fast enough.
If we relate this to bounce from bump, the car will bounce up in about 1cm if the suspension is not reacting fast enough.
If we relate this to car drop from 1 meter height, the car will bounce up in about 1cm if the suspension is not reacting fast enough.

But as I believe suspension will never too late to react, if car drop from 1 meter height, spring is the MAIN reason the car can bounce back, not car body. Damper will reduce/prevent the bouncing.

Scaff
Also why are you again talking about a car being dropped again, this has nothing to do with this subject
What is the subject? I thought we are talking about how caterham bouncing few times more on d-high than on d-low. Don't tell me that this is already answered when you say GT4 flip limiter do bouncy behaviour?

Scaff
Then you need to read it much more carefully, a simplistic car-as-rigid-body would just launch ballistically from the top of the bump.
This quite clearly says that if a car is too stiff to be able to drive over a bump then it will be launched off the bump.
It does not say it launch OVER the top of the bump, it launch FROM the top of the bump. No bouncy activity involved. A rock can fly if you throw it, it's that what you want to say? Ok, brick can jump then.

Scaff
Again you are talking about dropping a car from a height, neither the link I posted or the article I linked to discuss dropping a car from a height, only you do and it has not relevance to this at all.
damper reaction.

Scaff
And yes this article does confirm that suspension can smooth out sudden impulses, but it also explains that the bigger the bump and/or the faster you encounter it, then the more force it will put on the suspension system.
You seem to have either been very selective about which parts of the article you have read or you have not fully understood it.
You do that too. The article is about simulating car reaction to bump can be done easier if we ignore the suspension.

Scaff
If the suspension system is too stiff then it will be unable to react quickly enough to the force it encounters. The excess of force has to go somewhere, and it is transferred to the cars body (this is not conjecture) and the result can be that the cars body is forced up, this is not a result of your strange ‘re-jump’ term, rather something that occurs during the bound phase when the suspension is too stiff to respond quickly enough to the force placed upon it.
Oh, I see, bound phase. What about rebound phase? The car PULL the suspension to go up or suspension PUSH the car to go up? IMO, suspension push.

Scaff
You can chose to dismiss or ignore this, that I can’t stop, but if you do you are ignoring and dismissing a basic fact of suspension reaction.
It is half done. you don't explain what will happen next.

Scaff
Your explanations of this are very incomplete and vague at times (also very inconsistent), what is clear (and beyond dispute) is that GT4 will not allow a car to flip or roll. The steps GT4 takes to stop this (however you describe them) results in a very unrealistic reaction. Which I and others believe is causing you a great deal of confusion.
Ah, thank goodnes that you mention it. Beyond dispute? Do you have some kind of knowledge or education to support this? what make you say that? It's clear to you but it is not to me. Car can't flip or roll is not an explanation or proof that it can make a very unrealistic reaction. That assumption from my profesional view is rubish. If I should create a similar game like GT4 I don't think I'll be able to create an algorithm that can make roll/flip limiter influence suspension behaviour (a behaviour which should only exist when flip limiter code turned on). It would make a simple few lines of flip limiter code turn into monsterly big and complex code.

My algorithm for GT4 roll/flip limiter code would look like this (the flip limiter code is in bold):
Code:
if pitch is bellow threshold then begin
next pitch value = .... (calculation)
end 
Else [b] Begin
next pitch value = current pitch value
End[/b]

If you can think an algorithm for flip limiter code that can influence suspension, please post it.

Do you really think that if the flip limiter code is removed, the car behaviour will become realistic? weird. For reminder, this is a 4th iteration of GT series, if they know flip limiter code can make the car behaviour unrealistic in atleast GT2, why they keep using it in GT4 and still praising it to be more realistic?

Your whole argumentation that hacked value is not relevant, judging from view only is not relevant is based on your wrong assumption that flip limiter code do something weird to that. Do you have any proof or explanation other than the usual GT4 will not allow a car to flip or roll? Just that explanation and I have to believe that it is ok to accept weird result?

My hacked value video show linier relation between damper value and car bouncing. more damper = more bouncing. Can you proof that the value of damper is not related to those unrealistic behaviour? If you can proof that damper value has nothing to do with unrealistic reaction, you can carry on use it. If you don't, you just use it as a scape goat.

"The steps GT4 takes to stop this results in a very unrealistic reaction",
can I say it like this?:
The steps GT4 takes to stop this results in a backward reaction

If you think flip limiter code make the damper tuning backward, why don't you do it backward?

IMO, it doesn't matter wether flip limiter code exist or not, it will stay backward like that. High damper value will always show faster tire movement, higher rebounce, etc.

Scaff
Now I think that it?s quite clear to say that this does not happen in the real world, the car may exceed an angle that would cause it to roll or flip, GT4 stops this happening. As such the reaction of a car in this situation can not be directly compared to the real world. The effect as I (and it appear most other people) see it is that it causes the car to bounce or jump from one side/corner to the other. This is GT4 coping with a situation from an over-stiff car that ?should? (in the real world) have flipped or rolled, but in GT4 is not allowed to.
As I have explained above and many, many times before this has nothing at all to do with car roll, rather GT4s attempt to stop a car flipping or rolling.
Why GT4s attempt to stop a car flipping or rolling has something to do with the car bounce or jump from one side/corner to the other?
The way I see it, if my car flip to the right it does not bounce back to the left. When we do wheelie the nose do not bouncing down after hitting pitch limit. Do car nodding happen when we wheelie?

Scaff
In regard to the Integra test
I intend to test it with different spring rate and different speed. For now, like that.

Scaff
Yes it does!!!! The Skip Barker quotes (that I provided and you disputed) clearly states that a stiffer car will struggle to cope with a bumpy track and is more likely to result in a car losing contact with the track surface.
Wrong section there. I am not talking about car meeting bump, I am talking about rebouncing (it seems re jump is incorrect word).

So when I am talking about you:"You should realize that your explanation about stiffer damper make the car jump more do not match the skip barber quote"

this is what I refer to:"A stiffer bump setting slows down the motion on its corner ans speeds up the load transfer. A softer bump setting does the opposite - it allows the suspension to move faster and spreads the changes in loading out over a longer period of time. The same is true of rebound. Stiff re-bound settings will force the suspension system to move more slowly when loads are removed from its corner of the car, but the unloading of the contact patch will be more abrupt. Softer rebound settings allow the suspension to move more quickly and the unloading of the contact patch happens more gradually"

How can the car bounce (rebounce?) more when using stiffer damper if the damper slows down the suspension motion?

Scaff
So you were making another wild and bizarre assumption, this time that I was looking at GT4 with a 14” set. I have no idea why anyone would chose to make such a strange and bizarre assumption?
It's weird that you don't notice tire vibration. Why you don't notice it?

Scaff
I honestly think that the only person who has potentially been fooled by this is you.
Maybe.

Scaff
It’s not a mistype at all, and this comment I find quite frankly insulting.
It really does not make any sense for me. I will learn to reduce inconsistency.

Speed Drifter
How long the tire exposed to the bump also important too. Stiffer damper will prevent spring compress or extend from osscilating.

Scaff
Not a problem at all, although I think Sucahyo may not be so happy, I think he was under the impression that he had someone who shared his (in my opinion incorrect) opinion.
Actually, I wait until he do another post.

Scaff
even then this is not example the same as you example as the car also has forward velocity. Suspension reactions occur constantly when a car is moving and react to throttle, brake and steering inputs all the time; so why ignore these and insist on an uncommon event that is of far less importance to track driving.
So, from your point of view dropping the car from 1 meter height will make the suspension not reacting quick enough, and the car launching to 1 meter height can make the suspension reacting quick enough?
From my view, on both cases the suspension will be reacting quick enough.

Scaff
For you’re reading pleasure I have extracted a number of good descriptions of real world damper activity, some are basic and some more in-depth. I hope they help.
Thanks Scaff :).

Scaff
Low speed damping (when the force is applied slowly) occurs constantly when the car is moving and passes over tiny changes in the road surface....
Not agree about this. You associates speed with amplitude, where it should be with frequency. Sure amplitude matter, but frequency have higher effect. High speed damping equal to high frequency damping. Low speed damping equal to low frequency damping.

So,
low speed damping affecting the car reaction on smooth road.
high speed damping affecting the car reaction on bumpy road.

Because of this low speed damping is more important than high speed damping in smooth tarmac racing, because low speed damping affect handling on smooth road.
And in GT4 since we rarely meet both at the same time (bumpy road and smooth road), the use of 3 or 4 way damping is less important.

Scaff
In the real world when you encounter a curb at high speed (think again about the increase in force from a bump at speed), as in the Integra test, the forces involved are going to act on the suspension very quickly, putting it into high-speed damping. This is why the argument that in the real world the results of the Integra test could come from a soft setting is simply rubbish, yes they it is theoretically possible. But only if the engineer set high speed damping as low as the low speed damping which would make the car un-driveable, this is quite simply a factor of firm high speed damping in action To suggest anything different show a total lack of understanding of how dampers work.
Since rumble strip contact with the tire is a bit long than usual bump, there is a chance that the spring have already at rebounce position when reaching the top of it.

Scaff
It is far more likely that GT4 allow high-speed damping to be the dominant factor, as these forces are more likely to be encountered. This would also make the suggestion that my Integra test (or the Caterham test) loss of contact to have been caused by soft damping to be very, very unlikely.
What make this has something to do with high/low speed damping value?

Scaff
Exactly how long did you spend testing the Caterham? How many laps did you run of Deep Forest? Did you drive yourself or use B-spec?
My self, 2x30 minutes. 1 lap driving, replay, change setting, 1 lap again, ....

Scaff
Dave_George has spent more time tuning cars at the ‘ring (for the excellent NRS he ran) than just about anyone I know. As the ‘ring is one of the single bumpiest tracks in GT4 he should know more than a little about suspension reaction over bumps and how best to manage it. Yet you dismiss his ‘wheel’ time and experience out of hand.
When you already think that the damper tuning don't have any weird behaviour, I think you will not investigate it. If it work, who cares. And if it is weird, blame it on the glitch of GT4 physics.

Scaff
As I said in my last post If the suspension system is too stiff then it will be unable to react quickly enough to the force it encounters. The excess of force has to go somewhere, and it is transferred to the cars body (this is not conjecture) and the result can be that the cars body is forced up, this is not a result of your strange ‘re-jump’ term, rather something that occurs during the bound phase when the suspension is too stiff to respond quickly enough to the force placed upon it.
What happen to the force in the car body after the suspension is in rebound state?

Scaff
Do you not see the contradictions you have presented in the above paragraph?
Uh, the second "previous" is for the test that I already done, the first "previous" is for the test I will do. I still don't have a chance to test the integra. Damper test in caterham (hard and soft spring) prove 10 to be softest, damper test in integra not yet.

Scaff
First you state that you discussed how real life damper is simulated in GT4 and then go on to say that you must discuss how real life dampers work.
How can you discuss how dampers are simulated in GT4 if you do not fully understand how they work in real life?
Why not? You can't explain GT4 physics "anomaly" either other than blaming it on flip limiter code.

Scaff
Next you say that you wish to test everything that has been advised, including the suspension movement under braking.
Uh, no. I never test it. After I read it again, I make it look like that, my mistakes.

Scaff
Lastly you say that All test that previously suggested by everyone still give me result that damper 10 is softest, but you have clearly stated that you have spent at most 6 hours in GT4 away from 300mph runs. How did you manage to carry out all these tests in detail in such a short period of time?
Not all test, If I already done it I will already boast about it. I don't do many lap.

Scaff
No one here has ignored these areas at all, they have all be covered by various contributors to this thread; however as has been pointed out by Team666, the 300mph runs are influenced by downforce to a large degree.
Yes, but the fact damper HAVE influence in it (no matter how small it is) is ignored.

Scaff
Visual tire movement has not been ignored, I have said that it can not be used as the only source of testing (which was what you proposed),.
"The assumption that the suspension is moving too fast to be seen is just that, an assumption and one of the damgers of just looking at the tyres. You are assuming that the visual side of GT4 is perfect and thats a flawed assumption to make. Hence the reason I am looking at all aspects visual, feel and noise.

Stop looking at the wheels/tyres and look at the actual exposed front suspension of the Caterham (as I described in my post above), it can be clearly seen to move with both a greater range and react faster with D low settings, while D high settings restrict the movement range and slow down the reactions that are present."
Why I can't use tire visual and it's ok to use suspension visual? Because suspension visual support your assumption and tire visual do not? Try again with 15/15 spring rate, if I am not wrong, the suspension move on both d-low and d-high.

Scaff
Finally in regard to snapping behaviour or any other kind of handling or feel based evidence, it was I and others that insisted that feedback of this nature was essential, at a time when you were insisting that the only proof you would accept was visual.
Ok ok. I accept feedback is important too.

Scaff
Additionally the discussion was principally in regard to you stating that it was not possible for a car with firm damper settings to leave the track surface if it encountered a bump or curb at speed. To be blunt you were wrong about this and have simply tried to change the direction and tone of the thread to divert attention away from this and avoid another indicator that in GT4 higher values are stiffer.
Uh. I make it sound that way? I just want to pronouce that in GT4 the maximum damper value is medium. And with no high amplitude road irregularity nothing can make the car fly over tarmac bump. I know I am wrong after I drive caterham to the deep forest grass (low and high speed) where it jump around more on d-low. There is successive bump that can make stiff damper (d-low) caterham fly over it afterall. So, I was wrong, you are right. There is road surface (grass) that can make caterham jump on stiff setting (d-low).

Scaff
You say above that the article does not describe a car jumping, and then say that it covers a car leaving the ground in a parabolic curve. Now to me a car that leaves the ground has jumped in one way or the other, or are we in a situation again that sees you refuse to accept an article unless it contains and exact word you demand.
Uh. I mean the car do not jump before the bump slope end.

Scaff
when you said Brick (Car body) do not have jumping power, which was a misreading of what I said. The point of this article (and I quite clearly said this) was to point out that it is more than possible for a car to leave the ground when it hits a bump, also that a stiffer car (and a car with solid suspension – which is what is being used as an example here) is about as stiff as you can get) is highly likely to leave the ground if it hits a large enough bump at a high enough speed.
I realy mean The brick do not have jumping power. If it hit the bump it will follow through the bump surface all the way to the top without ever attempting to jump before that because it do not have elastic power. If we use slimy square rubber, the rubber may not follow the bump surface and may jump before it reach the top.

Scaff
Both my Caterham tests and Integra tests have used every type of feedback and information that we have available to us (and I am still looking at ways of increasing the amount of info).
I still don't have a chance to test the integra.
BTW, do you test (take picture) the integra 6 time like you usually do? is it hard to push the pause button at the right moment (maximum height)?

Scaff
As a side note on this you are now grabbing at Team666’s comment on the FGT (in which it was noted that the wishbones did not move at all) and using it to dismiss my Caterham test
No. Until I test it myself I will not dissmiss that.

Scaff
now while the FGT suspension may well not move in any way (I personally can’t confirm this as I am in Italy with work – but look forward to trying it for myself) the Caterham Fireblade’s wishbones certainly does. It moves quite clearly, and anyone who has tried my tests and taken the time to fully analyse the replay would know (wait didn’t you say you had carried out these tests fully!!!!!).
That's not fair, I have to accept your suspension visual and I have to dismiss my tire movement visual. I agree that the suspension seen move slower in d-high didn't I? You don't agree to my explanation for what causing that, remember? Test the caterham with 15/15 spring rate too. I recall the suspension move on both d-low and d-high.

Scaff
sucahyo
Gran Turismo 4
Disagree very, very strongly.
Huh? I am not saying my conclusion here, I am posting my test result on caterham on tarmac after it bounce back to the road. On 5/5 and 15/15 spring rate using d-low will result less bouncing, using d-high will result in more bouncing. I play it on my friend slim PS2. Do I have to post video for it? Another flip limiter code magic again?
Since you can do it easier, why don't you test it? which damper value give more rebouncing? Use the help of the grass this time. What I mean by more rebouncing is on d-high the car will bouncing around like 4 or 5 time, and d-low around 2 or 3 time.
If you have different bounce count, post your result.

If you find 1 have more bounce than 10, tell me how you do it. If I can replicate it, I will ADMIT damper 1 is softest and stop arguing about how damper simulated in GT4.

Scaff
BTW – You may have also noticed that I have edited the title of this thread
No problem.

Dave_George
Once again you have brought in other issues that have nothing to do with GT4, this time its how cars bounce in Need for speed Porsche amongst others??
Just show how rebouncing related to damper value in other game. Softer setting supposed to bounce more.

Dave_George
The Integra test should have been more than enough to answer your question's in full, the two photo's clearly show just how a stiffer damper will affect how the car handles the kerb.
I still don't have a chance to test this in GT4. In GT2 different spring rate and speed can yield different result.

Dave_George
Once again I think you need to do more work with GT4 and stop involving other game's/simulator's and the issue of dropping cars from height as it is NOT relevant.
just similarity checking. dropping car from height is to find out what you all thinking about how damper react to that.

The answer suspension is not reacting quick enough make me assume you all think that dropping car from 1 meter height will not make the suspension move at all. That is, damper and spring will not affect how the car rebounce. So, if you drop the car from 1 meter height it will rebounce the same no matter what spring rate or damper you use. Since it's the car body that receive the force.

That, do not make any sense for me.

@ Sucahyo
I started to write out a reply by doing as I normally do and addressing this line by line; however I had to stop and to be honest the length of the posts are getting to long and totally off topic.

So I am going to summarise my opinion and beliefs here.

Language
Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not believe that English is your first language, as such I honestly believe that this has caused many of the problems here. However to misread or misunderstand something and then say that someone else is wrong or has mistyped is not on.

Real World Dampers
First off I have to say that your knowledge of real world damper behaviour is limited (but growing) however you make some huge assumptions, the majority of which have proved wrong (ie harder is better for bumpy roads). Even more so you state you assumptions as fact on a great many occasions.

This has happened more times that I can recall and leads to stupid discussions in which you refuse to accept something until an exact word or phrase is used.

An example of this is your stubborn refusal to accept that a car with a stiff set-up can cause a loss of tyre contact with the road when it hits a bump?

I have provided visual evidence of this happening in the real world before, and here is another one. Did you watch the European Gran Prix yesterday? Did you see how much tyre to surface contact was lost when the cars hit the curbing? Are you going to insist that this is a result of F1 cars running set-ups that are so soft the loss of contact is caused by oscillations?

I have also explained (and provided links) that explain how and why this happens, everyone else seems to think that these explanations are logical, reasonable and correct. The sole exception is you.

You ask me to not tell you about IT technology as I don't have a technical background in it. I did not do that, you asked me how and why I thought GT4 stopped a car flipping or rolling. I explained why I thought it happened, not proof, just my opinion. Additionally my opinion in reply to your question.

I did not however state anything as fact, which is far more than I can say you have done in regard to damper behaviour and my experience and background.

Heres an example I will quote

Sucahyo

You take something that I have stated quite clearly and then misinterpret and rewrite it incorrectly, and then say that its what I am (or should be) saying.

The difference between Low and high speed damping is entirely down to how quickly the force is applied to the damper. Put a damper on a dyno rig and run it and the speed of the force will be measured in velocity. Here is an example from a damper set-up tool I have clearly showing it being measured in inches per second.

Run over a small bump at 5mph and it may cause low speed damping, encounter the same bump at 200mph and it may cause high-speed damping.

To dispute this is to say one of two things, either bumps do not get more severe as the speed at which you encounter them increases or that I and Ohlins (who make race dampers and that particular tool) do not know anything about dampers.

Quite simply to say that low speed damping is for smooth roads and high speed is for bumpy roads is both wrong and shows a flawed understanding of dampers.

In racing both high and low speed damping needs to be very carefully set-up, also in racing (compared to the public road) speeds are much higher, even the smallest bump may fall into the region of high-speed damping.

Cars Flipping and Rolling
My second point is that, irrelevant of how it is done (I know why it is done), cars can not flip or roll in GT4 (or any of the series), to say that this does not have an effect on how a car behaves is simply ridiculous. I have driven cars (particularly those with a high COG) in GT4 in a manner that would cause the real car to roll. Something prevents this from happening, I suspect it may also be related to the 'fact' that getting a single wheel to lift in GT4 is far harder that it is in real life.

How can you say that this effect (that does very much limit the realism of the entire GT series), however it is achieved, does not have an effect on how cars behave in the GT series?

What Evidence to use
The only person who has ever been stubborn about what evidence to use is yourself. For the longest time you insisted that only visual evidence should be accepted. Everyone else has always (and still does) insist that all forms of feedback be used, and we also accept that not all of this information may be 100% correct. Hence the reason why we want to look at as much evidence and information as we can.

Testing
This is an area that has now got me quite annoyed, as it would appear that you have actually carried out very little real testing in GT4.

I, and others, have taken a great deal of time to set up and carry out countless tests that look at a range of cars and set-ups that look at a wide range of information and then taken the time to explain why we believe they indicate what they do.

Up to now I have always worked on the assumption that your arguments against the results were based on your own evidence from repeating the tests. It would now seem that I was very wrong in this.

The only test you appear to have carried out was the Caterham test (and even that was not done fully as you failed to observe the effect braking had on the load transfer speed and the reaction). You say that the Caterham test proves that 10 is softer, but also admit you have not carried in out fully. I would dispute that this allows you to claim anything as proven.

This means that you dismissed the entire Integra test out of hand, with no repeat of the tests or attempt to judge the information in an objective way by driving them yourself.

However in all of your posts on the subject you did not mention once that you had not actually carried out the test yourself. As a point of fact I had to ask you directly which tests you had carried out before you admitted this.

In this regard the feedback you have given to these tests is, in my opinion, worthless. It is little more than conjecture on what you think might be happening.

In other words it has been based on your understanding of what should happen, and as you admit yourself that you do not fully understand what should happen in all situations for real world suspension, then how can you know you are correct?

You say that the Integra tests (that you have not run) could happen on either soft or hard damping set-ups, yet this is very unlikely unless GT4 is actualy very, very unrealistic.

Dropping cars
You seem to have grabbed hold of this one like a magic talisman, why are you so hooked on wanting to drop cars?

We can discuss how a real car behaves when dropped all we want, but as its not easy to consistently repeat in GT4 what will it prove? Very little in my view.

What is of far more value is the tests that have been run looking at how the cars handle and behave in 'everyday' racing situations, such as my Integra example.

This kind of reaction can be seen regularly in motorsport and is easy to recreate and reproduce in GT4, it also allows up to include feel and handling behaviour into the mix.

In Closing
I have over the last few days toyed with the idea of locking the thread and leaving it as one that people can read and then form an opinion of there own. I'm reluctant to do this however as I feel that it would damage GTP's reputation as a place in which ideas can be discussed openly.

So I would like to make this statement.

As the strong balance of opinion is that damper values in GT4 are not reversed and as I and others have been the ones that have provided the tests to support our opinion. I now believe that its your turn, I would like you to devise a test that meets the following.

1. Does not involve dropping a car
  2. Does involve driving the car
  3. Covers all forms of information (visual, feel, handling balance, noise, etc)
  4. Subjects dampers and suspension to a range of forces (so not just limited to say 300mph runs or single braking tests).

I would like a clear and well thought out explanation of your testing methods and results with a conclusion that explains your results and opinion on what it shows. In other words I am asking no more of you than I have provided many times already.

After that I will run the test (along with anyone else who wishes to) and post our thoughts in a similar manner.

Regards

Scaff

Yes, english is not my first language.

Scaff
An example of this is your stubborn refusal to accept that a car with a stiff set-up can cause a loss of tyre contact with the road when it hits a bump?
I accept that now, caterham tyre contact with grass is less on d-low.

Scaff
The difference between Low and high speed damping is entirely down to how quickly the force is applied to the damper. Put a damper on a dyno rig and run it and the speed of the force will be measured in velocity. Here is an example from a damper set-up tool I have clearly showing it being measured in inches per second.

Run over a small bump at 5mph and it may cause low speed damping, encounter the same bump at 200mph and it may cause high-speed damping.

To dispute this is to say one of two things, either bumps do not get more severe as the speed at which you encounter them increases or that I and Ohlins (who make race dampers and that particular tool) do not know anything about dampers.

Quite simply to say that low speed damping is for smooth roads and high speed is for bumpy roads is both wrong and shows a flawed understanding of dampers.

In racing both high and low speed damping needs to be very carefully set-up, also in racing (compared to the public road) speeds are much higher, even the smallest bump may fall into the region of high-speed damping.
I just rewording Neil W Roberts damper 101 article, which seems not fully read by you yet. I don't think Neil W Roberts has flawed understanding about damper. Low speed is more important in smooth road racing is just my assumption.

Adjustable Dampers 101 & 102
Neil W. Roberts
Low speed and high speed damping refer to the speed of the damper shaft relative to the damper housing, not to car speed. Low speed damping adjustments affect dynamic weight transfer and the motion of the sprung mass relative to a smooth track surface. High speed damping adjustments affect the motion of the unsprung mass (wheels and tires) relative to a bumpy track surface. We are usually much more interested in low speed damping adjustments than high speed.

Neil W robert explanation makes more sense to me than yours. But I am curious to what you thought about this article.

Scaff
My second point is that, irrelevant of how it is done (I know why it is done), cars can not flip or roll in GT4 (or any of the series), to say that this does not have an effect on how a car behaves is simply ridiculous. I have driven cars (particularly those with a high COG) in GT4 in a manner that would cause the real car to roll. Something prevents this from happening, I suspect it may also be related to the 'fact' that getting a single wheel to lift in GT4 is far harder that it is in real life.
You need to explain why it is ridiculous, because as programmer I don't think it is. If you can't explain it, stop using it as scape goat. Sure it stop the car from rolling or flipping, but you still need to explain how GT4 implement it so that it disturb the other suspension algorithm. I already explain my view (although I forgot to include the kinetic and momentum in the "if" part).

If you can't explain how it works, how do you the conclude that it cause unrealistic behaviour?

Scaff
How can you say that this effect (that does very much limit the realism of the entire GT series), however it is achieved, does not have an effect on how cars behave in the GT series?
If we use example, in GT1, the only GT that I think don't have the reverse damper tuning, damper work like it supposed to be. Lower value = more bouncing, etc. Gt1 also have roll limiter code just like the other GT. If this code do not change the the way suspension react in Gt1, it must not too in other GT.

If we use game programming rule of thumb, the code needed to stop roll shouldn't be allowed to affect any other algorithm, otherwise, when this code is not needed anymore, it can change how the other algorithm work. PD surely have decent programmer that are more than able to do that.

Scaff
I would like a clear and well thought out explanation of your testing methods and results with a conclusion that explains your results and opinion on what it shows. In other words I am asking no more of you than I have provided many times already.

After that I will run the test (along with anyone else who wishes to) and post our thoughts in a similar manner.
Ok. They way I do the testing is just like what I do on caterham on deep forest.

I will test more and report it just like the caterham on deep forest report.

BTW, how is your test on caterham?
And can you post the setting you use for integra? What is the name of the car? What is the track that make B-Spec driver cross rumble strip? How can I get consistent picture of car jumping (always on highest jump position after bumping) ?

sucahyo
Yes, english is not my first language.
In which case I hope you accept that some of the misunderstanding could be from your end.

sucahyo
I just rewording Neil W Roberts damper 101 article, which seems not fully read by you yet. I don't think Neil W Roberts has flawed understanding about damper. Low speed is more important in smooth road racing is just my assumption.

Adjustable Dampers 101 & 102

Neil W robert explanation makes more sense to me than yours. But I am curious to what you thought about this article.
I have fully read the Neil Roberts piece a number of times and lets take a closer look at the quote you gave. Firstly it is titled damper 101, now you may not be aware of it, but ‘101’ generally refers to a basic introductory paper or class on a subject, so we have to assume some simplification here.

Damper 101
Low speed and high speed damping refer to the speed of the damper shaft relative to the damper housing, not to car speed.
Which is exactly what I said, you actually disagreed with this and said this Not agree about this. You associates speed with amplitude, where it should be with frequency. Sure amplitude matter, but frequency have higher effect. High speed damping equal to high frequency damping. Low speed damping equal to low frequency damping.. You misunderstood this, not me.

Damper 101
Low speed damping adjustments affect dynamic weight transfer and the motion of the sprung mass relative to a smooth track surface.
What I have said does not dispute or disagree with this, but this is a simplification. Very few race tracks are 100% smooth (how many have you driven on?), and if you encounter a bump at speed in does effect the car more (with the severity of a bump increase roughly four times in relation to the speed at which you hit it).

Damper 101
High speed damping adjustments affect the motion of the unsprung mass (wheels and tires) relative to a bumpy track surface.
Again a generalisation, but one that my explanation does not disagree with. You seem to be forgetting that I am talking about the entire scope of damper operation. Drive down a road with a broken surface at low speed (and racing is not about low speed) and it may well not enter the area of high speed damping, drive the same road at 150mph and it certainly will.

Damper 101
We are usually much more interested in low speed damping adjustments than high speed.
The emphasis on the word usually is mine, but it is an important one, Neil does not say always or exclusively or any such definitive term. Rather he says usually, it depends on the track and the speeds involved. As a general rule American tracks are far smoother than European tracks, most are far newer and a lot are ovals (which are always very, very smooth). European tracks are generally far older and a lot are (for race tracks) very bumpy.

He even goes on to explain himself that this is a simplification of the subject for ease of explanation

Damper 102
For the purposes of this discussion, we will assume the racing surface
to be perfectly flat, smooth, and uniform. So, all damper velocities
will be relatively low, assuming a smooth driving technique.

Please note that I fully believe than Neil Roberts has a very great understanding of how dampers work, but I also firmly believe that the 101 and 102 articles are a simplification of the subject to allow people to begin to understand damper operations.

sucahyo
You need to explain why it is ridiculous, because as programmer I don't think it is. If you can't explain it, stop using it as scape goat. Sure it stop the car from rolling or flipping, but you still need to explain how GT4 implement it so that it disturb the other suspension algorithm. I already explain my view (although I forgot to include the kinetic and momentum in the "if" part).

If you can't explain how it works, how do you the conclude that it cause unrealistic behaviour?

I do not recall saying that the stop code directly effected the damper code at all (and apologise if I did), I recall saying that the action of the stop code on returning the car to the ground (in a situation when it should have flipped or rolled) had an unrealistic effect on the car’s behaviour.

It was this unrealistic behaviour of the car that I believe is part of the problem, not that one piece of code is effecting another directly.

I don’t need to know the exact manner, in which it works, to know that it results in unrealistic car behaviour. If a car wheels return to he ground in a situation that should have resulted in a flip or roll it is unrealistic behaviour and if you are trying to examine car behaviour during this process it is going to cause problems and potential confusion.

sucahyo
Ok. They way I do the testing is just like what I do on caterham on deep forest.

I will test more and report it just like the caterham on deep forest report.

BTW, how is your test on caterham?
My test on the Caterham is consistently the same, it clearly indicates to me that higher damper values are firmer

sucahyo
And can you post the setting you use for integra? What is the name of the car? What is the track that make B-Spec driver cross rumble strip? How can I get consistent picture of car jumping (always on highest jump position after bumping) ?
The Car is an Integra Type – R Touring car and the track in question was the full Grand Valley Speedway.

As far as settings go as I said in the test itself they are default apart from the dampers which were 3/3 and 10/10.

I do not ever use the B-spec driver for testing as it removes the factors of feel and handling from the test. I have to warn in advance that any test you do with the B-spec driver I will consider to be null and void, quite simply I will not personally accept them as valid.

As far as the pictures go, you may need to run the replay many, many times to get the right shot (I know I did).

Regards

Scaff

Ok.

So, this statement is incorrect or not? (if its for smooth tarmac racing)
sucahyo
You don't have to explain again, just yes and no is fine.

I hope I can post my result soon.

sucahyo
Ok.

So, this statement is incorrect or not? (if its for smooth tarmac racing)
You don't have to explain again, just yes and no is fine.

I hope I can post my result soon.

As a very basic rule of thumb it is correct, yes.

Regards

Scaff

Damper test report:
Integra on Grand Valley
failed, I can't get consistent turn, so measuring how far the car jump is difficult. I test it using soft spring rate and stiff spring rate, the different between d-low and d-high is hard to notice. Measuring other feeling also hard too.

Caterham on autumn ring.
Lowest spring rate (5.0/3.8), max ride height, 7/7 stabilizer, stage 3 weight mods.
d-high jump more, bounce more, handle worse than d-low

Subaru 360 on autumn ring
Lowest spring rate (1.4/1.5), max ride height, 7/7 stabilizer, stage 3 weight mods
d-high wallow more, handle worse than d-low

Highest spring rate, max ride height, 7/7 stabilizer, stage 3 weight mods

Subaru 360 on cathedral rock II
Lowest spring rate, max ride height, 7/7 stabilizer, stage 3 weight mods

d-high bounce more, handle worse than d-low

All test done in about 2 lap, with alternating d-low and d-high test 3 times.
In Caterham and Subaru 360, the different between d-low and d-high is more noticable than on integra or Land Rover Storm. In Caterham and Subaru 360 d-high show consistent behaviour of more bouncing or jump compare to d-low. The handling is worse because it would need longer time for the car to be steady.
The effect of damper for car body is shown more clearly on Subaru 360, maybe because higher ride height and very soft spring.

As I drive using a fake digital controller (just found out), measuring the feeling from weight transfer is a bit hard. Measuring braking or accelerating reaction is hard too, because I don't record the run to video. I'll try to compare it using replay on my next chance.

Testing damper on heavy car seems harder than light car.
If more bouncing can be assumed as softer damper, d-high is softer.

I need one thing cleared up here, you use the terms jumping and bouncing together, because to me they are very different things.

Jumping = Stiff suspension characteristic caused by the suspension being unable to react quickly enough and transfering force through the suspension resulting in a loss of contact.

Bouncing = Oscilations coming from poorly controled springs, a common symptom of underdamping particularly in heavier cars. This may or may not result in a loss of contact.

I am aware that these terms could be used in a variaty of ways, but I do feel that some standard is needed.

I will be running these tests myself ASAP.

I do however note that you have again focused princiapally on visual information, with limited feel (reason given I know - but it still does not help) and no noise. You do talk about handling, but just in terms of better or worse. Worse how?

Also you seem to have set the Anti-roll bars to 7/7 (default is 5/5 IIRC as I'm in work right now), as this would have the effect of stiffening the car up more; do you not think it could throw out the results? Personally I would have reduced them as low as possiable (as we do not have the original GT opinion of leaving them out altogether) to minimise any effect they may have.

Regards

Scaff

sucahyo
Damper test report:
Integra on Grand Valley
failed, I can't get consistent turn, so measuring how far the car jump is difficult. I test it using soft spring rate and stiff spring rate, the different between d-low and d-high is hard to notice. Measuring other feeling also hard too.

A great shame you were not able to run the test sucessfully.

I repeated my previous test and again the results were the same as before.

Integra Touring car test

sucahyo
Caterham on autumn ring.
Lowest spring rate (5.0/3.8), max ride height, 7/7 stabilizer, stage 3 weight mods.

I ran this test at both Deep Forest as before and Autumn Ring, one again the results were consistent with my previous tests.

Caterham Fireblade Test

As I have mentioned in the post above I consider 'jump' and 'bounce' to describe two different characteristics. I would agree that higher damper values make the car 'jump' more, as described in the Skip Barber quotes, this is a result of the suspension not being able to react quickly enough. Exactly as the quote says "Expect that the shock settings for bumpy racetracks will have to be softer in order to allow the suspension to move fast enough to keep the tyres in contact with the track surface."

Sounds exactly like the higher value characteristics to me. Bounce is however a totally different thing and would imply a great deal of suspension travel as the springs enter into uncontrolled oscilations, this is quite clearly not happening.

sucahyo
Subaru 360 on autumn ring
Lowest spring rate (1.4/1.5), max ride height, 7/7 stabilizer, stage 3 weight mods

Ran these tests and have to disagree, as with the Caterham test what you describe as 'wallow' at higher damper values is nothing of the sort. This would again imply a large degree of uncontrolled spring oscilations.

Dampers 10/10
Initial turn in is good, however grip fades quickly after turn-in.
Contact with rummble strips is harsh and noisey.
Slow roll under load transfer under braking and acceleration.
Definate 'jump' on contact with curbs, with little wallow and/or oscilation on return to the ground.

Damper 1/1
Intial turn in slightly more reluctant, but with better grip after turn-in.
Contact with rumble strips distinctly softer with less harsh noise.
Faster roll under load transfer under braking and acceleration.
Less 'jump' on contact with curbs, small wallow on return to the ground.

Given the very low curb weight of the 360 the tests with the maximum spring rates give results that are very extreme, even with the lowest damper forces the springs are the dominent factor. Maximum damper values simply stiffen the whole thing further.

sucahyo
Subaru 360 on cathedral rock II
Lowest spring rate, max ride height, 7/7 stabilizer, stage 3 weight mods

d-high bounce more, handle worse than d-low

Ran these tests as well and I have to say they were very interesting.

Damper 10/10
Visiably limited suspension travel.
The car feels very stiff and hard, on replay it has the characteristics of a stone skipping across a pond.
Traction is difficult to lay down and the car is very quick to let go.

Damper 1/1
Significantly greater suspension travel is visiable.
Clearly softer feel to the cars handling.
Car actually follows the bumps and surface changes much better.
Traction is far easier to lay down.

As with the Caterham test before this is clearly showing that the lower values match the description given in the Skip Barber quotes regarding softer dampers improving the suspensions ability to track the surface irregularities better.

sucahyo
All test done in about 2 lap, with alternating d-low and d-high test 3 times.
In Caterham and Subaru 360, the different between d-low and d-high is more noticable than on integra or Land Rover Storm. In Caterham and Subaru 360 d-high show consistent behaviour of more bouncing or jump compare to d-low. The handling is worse because it would need longer time for the car to be steady.
The effect of damper for car body is shown more clearly on Subaru 360, maybe because higher ride height and very soft spring.
I have to strongly disagree with your observations here and would ask if you spent time viewing the replays in detail or just based your observations on the chase view from the car?

The 'jumping' characteristics of the higher damper values is not the result of softer dampers allowing uncontrolled spring oscilations. If this were the case we would see a great degree of suspension travel, repeated and uncontrolled spring cycles and the feel would be very, very soft.

We get none of these, rather the feel at higher values is har and stiff and the loss of contact with the track surface displays little suspension travel and is, as I have described before, more like a stone skipping across a pond.

Edited to add
OK heres a short video of Richard Burns Rally with minimum values set for all dampers (soft all round) which quite clearly shows the effect of very underdamped springs.

http://download.yousendit.com/DE31D6D2145CFF5C

This car (despite the poor quality from my digital camera) can be clearly seen to wallow under minimal load transfer and is a nightmare to drive. It however rarely loses contact with the road surface. Damper values this soft are not possiable in GT4 and the high damper values do not look like this at all.

sucahyo
As I drive using a fake digital controller (just found out), measuring the feeling from weight transfer is a bit hard. Measuring braking or accelerating reaction is hard too, because I don't record the run to video. I'll try to compare it using replay on my next chance.
So you would admit again that you have not fully carried out the tests fully. Arguably you have not actually met the requirements I layed down for the tests themsleves.

I also came across a quote you made in the GT2 forum that causes me some concern about you ability to analyis feel in GT4.

sucahyo - Post 104

GT4 has without a doubt the greatest level of track and surface detail found in any of the GT series so far.

sucahyo
Testing damper on heavy car seems harder than light car.
If more bouncing can be assumed as softer damper, d-high is softer.
However I dispute that this is a bounce at all, its a definate 'jump' with limited (and slower) suspension travel, combined with a harsh feel, good turn-in with reduced grip during cornering are all characteristics of a stiffer damper settings.

Running all of your tests and repeating my own again its is once agan clear to me that higher damper values are stiffer.

I also however had a look at the 'default' settings for the various suspension types. Now I'm sure that we all would agree that as a rule of thumb stiffer spring settings require stiffer damper settings (the GT4 scrolling text even says this).

As we fit more 'race' orientated suspension the default Spring Rates get stiffer, so we would expect the Dampers to do the same.

Subaru 360
Sports Suspension
Spring Rate = Unknown
Damper F4 / R4

Semi-Racing Suspension
Spring Rate = F2.3 (range 1.5 - 2.7) / R2.1 (range 1.4 - 2.5)
Damper = F6 / R6

Racing Suspension
Spring Rate = F3.0 (range 1.5 - 15) / R2.8 (range 1.4 - 15)
Damper = F8 / R8

TVR Cerbera Speed Six
Sports Suspension
Spring Rate = Unknown
Damper = F4 / R4

Semi-Racing Suspension
Spring Rate = F5.3 (range 3.5 - 6.3) / R4.4 (range 2.9 - 5.2)
Damper = F6 / R6

Racing Suspension
Spring Rate = F7.0 (range 3.5 - 18) / R5.8 (range 2.9 - 18)
Damper = F8 / R8

You can do this for any car, the trend remains the same, additionally with all the suspension settings the higher the value the greater the effect. To suggest that Dampers alone are reversed is unlikely.

Looking at all these factors strongly indicate that higher values for dampers are stiffer in GT4.

Regards

Scaff

It seems we have different opinion about how damper influence suspension movement.
IMO stiffer damper make the suspension move slower, that is, the force wil be absorbed more by damper, reducing the effect caused by spring. So spring osccilation will be reduced, spring quickness is reduced, spring throw back power is reduced, etc.

About jumping and bouncing, this is what I mean:
Jumping = car leave the ground because it hit bump.
Bouncing = car body move fast up and down continuously (when tire stay on the ground), the speed depend on spring stiffness.
Wallow = car body move slowly up and down continuously, the speed depend on spring stiffness.

IMO, the car will jump more when using softer damper. Because with stiffer damper, the damper will absorb (slow down) the bump impact more. So, less force will go to the spring or car body. With less force the jump will be lower too. I still trying to find out why your integra jump more using lower damper value.
It's the same way with bouncing, stiffer damper will absorb (slow down) the movement more. Less spring force to osccilate again.

Please explain your opinion about the relation between damper rate, jumping and bouncing more.

BTW, do the Integra Touring handling is close to real life one? I never feel understeer on corner when full throttle, is that how it supposed to be in real life FF?

About noise, it is because I can not tell the difference between d-low and d-high noise.
About feel, I say worse because I have harder control over the car reaction, I have to wait longer before I can steer the car.

About 7/7 stabilizer, I just got inspired by this Whiteline Chassis Talk 1 - The basic suspension modes.. It explain that we can use softer spring if we reduce the car roll with stiffer anti roll bar, or it's better to use stabilizer than spring to reduce car roll. Just testing. And I think this do not equal to stiffening damper, since anti roll bar is attached to the car body. I don't think it affect the damper testing either, since all test using the same stabilizer value. If you think it have influence. Maybe this what make my test different frorm yours.
I intent to keep using 7/7 stabilizer until I find it's weakness. So far I test it recently on RUF RGT, Falken GTR and 20 300mph car, and it seems ok.

Can you explain about "large degree of uncontrolled spring oscilations." more? What it means and what it relation with damper stiffness, or how damper stiffness can change or being influenced by that.

About "Slow roll under load transfer under braking and acceleration.", do you mean pitch or you do braking in corner?

Can you explain why "Initial turn in is good, however grip fades quickly after turn-in." on d-high and "Intial turn in slightly more reluctant, but with better grip after turn-in." on d-low?

About rally track, which one do you refer to, soft spring or stiff spring ? because it gave different behaviour.
when using soft spring, I feel d-high have more wallow, making it harder to drive, but the tire stick to the road better.
when using stiff spring, I feel d-high have more bouncing, and when bouncing the tire do not stick to the road.

Softer feel do not always come from softer damper, a car with very soft damper would feel hard too. You feel softer because the suspension is being slowed down by stiffer damper.

Please explain this more: "The 'jumping' characteristics of the higher damper values is not the result of softer dampers allowing uncontrolled spring oscilations. If this were the case we would see a great degree of suspension travel, repeated and uncontrolled spring cycles and the feel would be very, very soft.", about very soft soft and great degree of suspension travel. Since IMO, it all happen on one cycle, where spring don't have to reach it's maximum travel before it pushing or transfer the force to the car.

Thanks for the video :).
Well, we can do that too if we hack the game. It will be low damper value for GT1 (default min is 30). and it will be high damper value for GT2 and GT4 . I know you refuse this kind of proofing, I am not using this as proof, just to let you know.
If we only look at visual reaction, the RBR video looks just like my d30.avi (Jaguar XJR with damper 30) video. Don't take this as an argumentation.

about video quality, maybe you should check if you digicam have video in feature or not, maybe you can feed PS2 output straight to digicam.

About "I hate GT4 for it's ultra smooth road.", it's the thing that I hate in GT4, I still love GT4 in other aspect. In GT2 we have to overcome the bumpy unfriendly road to make our car fast, in GT4 we don't have to. I really miss the bump in midfield or deep forest. In GT4, we don't have to tune suspension for better braking in deep forest first corner even for very light car like caterham. In GT2, it can be a problem since it a bit bumpy. And since the road that I travel everyday is more like Seattle course (without hill, more bump, plus random hole), I really miss this.

BTW, how can I make quote with link like that?

I call those continuous jumping as bouncing too, as the car jump not caused by hitting bump, it caused by spring reaction.
about good turn in, can you explain?

I never notice damper has default value too. Same way with camber isn't it? 1.0/0.5 camber for semi racing, 2.0/1.0 camber for FC. For any car the trend is the same too. Camber default value is not what it is supposed to be, that can happen for damper value too.

sucahyo
It seems we have different opinion about how damper influence suspension movement.
IMO stiffer damper make the suspension move slower, that is, the force wil be absorbed more by damper, reducing the effect caused by spring. So spring osccilation will be reduced, spring quickness is reduced, spring throw back power is reduced, etc.
Yes stiff dampers do slow down the suspension movement, I was the one that drew your attention to that. It also speeds up the transfer of the load to and from the tyre.

Overdamping does not allow the spring to absorb more force nor does the damper absorb more force if it can not react quickly enough when this force is applied. The force is transfered through the suspension to the car, how many times do we have to go over and over this.

sucahyo
About jumping and bouncing, this is what I mean:
Jumping = car leave the ground because it hit bump.
Bouncing = car body move fast up and down continuously (when tire stay on the ground), the speed depend on spring stiffness.
Wallow = car body move slowly up and down continuously, the speed depend on spring stiffness.
I would not disagree with your discriptions in a general way at all, but I would strongly disagree about the manner in which you have used them. As I stated in my above post.

sucahyo
IMO, the car will jump more when using softer damper. Because with stiffer damper, the damper will absorb (slow down) the bump impact more. So, less force will go to the spring or car body. With less force the jump will be lower too. I still trying to find out why your integra jump more using lower damper value.
It's the same way with bouncing, stiffer damper will absorb (slow down) the movement more. Less spring force to osccilate again.

Please explain your opinion about the relation between damper rate, jumping and bouncing more.
I have explained this so many damn times I am sick of it.

To be once again very blunt you are wrong and you also keep coming back to the same flawed and incorrect statement you have used since early in this thread.

Stiffer dampers increase the chances of a car loosing contact with the ground (a jump by both our definitions). Stiffer dampers slow down the suspensions reactions, if they can't react quickly enough they can not absorb more force, they transfer it to the car.

I have proveded countless examples and quotes from reputable sources to illustrate this in coutless ways, yet you still ignore them, why is that?

I mean the Skip Barber quote you have agreed is true, disagrees with what you have said above.

Additionally my Integra does not jump more at lower damper values, it jumps more at higher damper values. Did you not bother to read my test fully?

sucahyo
BTW, do the Integra Touring handling is close to real life one? I never feel understeer on corner when full throttle, is that how it supposed to be in real life FF?
I'm sorry but your credibility is heading down hill very quickly here. You are telling someone who trains in the motor industry that they are wrong about a subject as complex and in depth as damper behaviour, yet you have no knowledge of the fundamentals.

Does a FWD car understeer in a corner under full throttle. Of course it does, it you ask the same tyres to turn and drive the car at the same time they only have so much traction they can deliver. To get them to do both at once will result in less grip at the front than the rear, which results in understeer.

To even ask this question and then try and claim you can describe the handling characteristics of any car is very, very concerning. It also would seem that despite claiming to have do so, you have not read my tuning guide fully as this is decribed in great detail in it.

sucahyo
About noise, it is because I can not tell the difference between d-low and d-high noise.
About feel, I say worse because I have harder control over the car reaction, I have to wait longer before I can steer the car.
I run my PS2 through a 5.1 decoder and the difference in sound is quite clear and distinct.

So you are admitting that one of the points of observation is not available to you?

Yes but steer the car when? At turn-in, under braking or throttle (and full, constant or increasing throttle at that), etc.

sucahyo
About 7/7 stabilizer, I just got inspired by this Whiteline Chassis Talk 1 - The basic suspension modes.. It explain that we can use softer spring if we reduce the car roll with stiffer anti roll bar, or it's better to use stabilizer than spring to reduce car roll. Just testing. And I think this do not equal to stiffening damper, since anti roll bar is attached to the car body. I don't think it affect the damper testing either, since all test using the same stabilizer value. If you think it have influence. Maybe this what make my test different frorm yours.
I intent to keep using 7/7 stabilizer until I find it's weakness. So far I test it recently on RUF RGT, Falken GTR and 20 300mph car, and it seems ok.
First Anti-roll bars are most certainly connected to the suspension system of the car and not to the car body itself; the very purpose of an anti-roll bar is that the suspension on the two sides of a car are only connected by a car body that will flex. They join the two sides of the suspension to reduce this flex, as such they are only effective during the application of lateral forces, and do not effect longitudinal forces.

I have never said that they will have the same effect as stiffening the dampers, but the do tie the left and right sides of the car together.

This will affect the handling characteristics of a car when cornering and how the load is transferred while cornering, and the effect can be significant. We are testing dampers here not anti-roll bars and to expect to just be able to set the ARBs to maximum and it to not have an affect is naïve to say the least.

Again all of this was covered in my first tuning manual.

sucahyo
Can you explain about "large degree of uncontrolled spring oscilations." more? What it means and what it relation with damper stiffness, or how damper stiffness can change or being influenced by that.
Again? OK if springs are very under-damped once they start a cycle of oscillations they will continue until the energy is dissipated, increasing the damping will control this and its one of the fundamental purposes of a damper. However if the damper values are set to high then they can reduce the springs ability to react, in this situation the spring and damper do not absorb more and more energy, they can’t react quickly enough to do that and it is transferred through the suspension to the car itself.

sucahyo
About "Slow roll under load transfer under braking and acceleration.", do you mean pitch or you do braking in corner?
Both

sucahyo
Can you explain why "Initial turn in is good, however grip fades quickly after turn-in." on d-high and "Intial turn in slightly more reluctant, but with better grip after turn-in." on d-low?
You claim to have read my tuning manuals so either you are very forgetful or you did not bother. Go back and read pages 10 to 12 of the first tuning guide for an explanation of the various elements of a corner from turn-in to exit.

sucahyo
About rally track, which one do you refer to, soft spring or stiff spring ? because it gave different behaviour.
when using soft spring, I feel d-high have more wallow, making it harder to drive, but the tire stick to the road better.
when using stiff spring, I feel d-high have more bouncing, and when bouncing the tire do not stick to the road.
Do you really need to ask in regard to the spring rates? In my last post I explained how the higher spring rate is far, far too stiff for a car of this curb weight. With the higher rates on gravel the car is un-driveable.

Did you actually bother to take a good look at the full replays? In now way do the higher damper values display what you have described above as wallowing or bouncing. The movement of the cars body shell in relation to the wheels is minimal with the higher damper values, and the car is visibly stiff and the tyres do not stick to the road better at all. That’s without (the once again omitted) areas of feel.

sucahyo
Softer feel do not always come from softer damper, a car with very soft damper would feel hard too. You feel softer because the suspension is being slowed down by stiffer damper.
On planet Sucahyo maybe, you seem to forget the level of experience I have with real world cars and testing. Stiff damper settings do not feel softer because they slow down the reaction of the suspension. This slower reaction is more likely to stop the suspension reacting quickly enough and increase the level of force transferred through to the car itself, resulting in a harsher ride.

I’m sorry but you appear now to be simply making things up as you go along.

sucahyo
Please explain this more: "The 'jumping' characteristics of the higher damper values is not the result of softer dampers allowing uncontrolled spring oscilations. If this were the case we would see a great degree of suspension travel, repeated and uncontrolled spring cycles and the feel would be very, very soft.", about very soft soft and great degree of suspension travel. Since IMO, it all happen on one cycle, where spring don't have to reach it's maximum travel before it pushing or transfer the force to the car.
I’m sorry but what you are asking here is not clear at all.

sucahyo
Thanks for the video :).
Well, we can do that too if we hack the game. It will be low damper value for GT1 (default min is 30). and it will be high damper value for GT2 and GT4 . I know you refuse this kind of proofing, I am not using this as proof, just to let you know.
If we only look at visual reaction, the RBR video looks just like my d30.avi (Jaguar XJR with damper 30) video. Don't take this as an argumentation.

about video quality, maybe you should check if you digicam have video in feature or not, maybe you can feed PS2 output straight to digicam.
I know my camera does not have a video input feature, I did that quickly to illustrate a point.

You assert that the reaction is the same for high damper values in GT4, well I’m sorry but you can say that all you like, it doesn’t make it right. They are quite clearly different.

sucahyo
About "I hate GT4 for it's ultra smooth road.", it's the thing that I hate in GT4, I still love GT4 in other aspect. In GT2 we have to overcome the bumpy unfriendly road to make our car fast, in GT4 we don't have to. I really miss the bump in midfield or deep forest. In GT4, we don't have to tune suspension for better braking in deep forest first corner even for very light car like caterham. In GT2, it can be a problem since it a bit bumpy. And since the road that I travel everyday is more like Seattle course (without hill, more bump, plus random hole), I really miss this.
You play GT2 through an emulator on a PC and use the keyboard (or AI) to control the car and GT4 around a friend’s house with a non standard controller and have limited experience yet state beyond any doubt GT4 tracks are smoother that any other version of the game.

Well all I can say is you must have a very different version of the game to everyone else, GT4 has the highest level of track surface detail of any of the GT series.

sucahyo
BTW, how can I make quote with link like that?
First type in the title you want to give the link, then highlight it and click on the 'Insert Link' icon. Paste the link in the window that appears and click on OK.

sucahyo
I call those continuous jumping as bouncing too, as the car jump not caused by hitting bump, it caused by spring reaction.
about good turn in, can you explain?
I do not agree that bouncing is a good term to use for this (very unrealistic) reaction, its not a bounce as its not caused by uncontrolled springs, that would look like the RBR video.

I have also tried RBR with max damper settings and when you hit a large bump the car reacts in a very similar way to the higher damper values in GT4, the only difference is that RBR will allow the car to flip and/or roll.

sucahyo
I never notice damper has default value too. Same way with camber isn't it? 1.0/0.5 camber for semi racing, 2.0/1.0 camber for FC. For any car the trend is the same too. Camber default value is not what it is supposed to be, that can happen for damper value too.
The only person who thinks that about camber value is you.

Increased negative camber is a common trait on race prepared cars, the idea of a very fixed link to body roll is principally your theory. According to this theory of yours F1 cars, touring cars, GT cars should all run near zero camber (and you even suggested that stock values should be greater), however this clearly is not the case.

Quite simply as you fit more ‘race’ orientated suspension in GT4 the ride height drops, the spring rates get stiff, the camber increases and the damper values increase. To suggest (as you do) that this is stiff spring rates being matched to softer dampers is just ludicrous.

If the real world worked as you seem to insist on describing it then cars in the BTCC actually have soft damper settings that cause them to jump on contact with curbs, F1 cars are all set up wrong as they have high negative camber values and are also running soft dampers (judging by the level of jumping that occurred on contact with the curbs at the European GP).

You are constantly developing your own theories about how you believe dampers should work in the real world to justify your own ‘pet’ theory of reversed damper settings in GT4. The problem is these theories do not match the real world and are constantly proven wrong.

You are acting like a person who has trying to get out of a hole of there own creation by digging more, all you are doing is getting deeper and deeper.

Damper values in GT4 are not reversed, all the increased level of testing does is pile up more and more evidence to support this.

Regards

Scaff

Because our opinion about how real life jump bounce or jump behaviour is different, I don't think we can have a conclusion about how damper work in GT4. I refuse to believe that suspension will not react fast enough on some damper value.

Scaff
Overdamping does not allow the spring to absorb more force nor does the damper absorb more force if it can not react quickly enough when this force is applied. The force is transfered through the suspension to the car, how many times do we have to go over and over this.
Until you explain it better. The important part related to GT4 is at what exact damper value the spring can't react fast enough (give me example please). The important part related to real life is what happen in each step, bounce and rebounce. Or maybe you are saying the car will leave the ground before the spring goes to rebounce step ?
What I imagine when you say "it can not react quickly enough" is the suspension do not move at all, is that what you mean?
What I believe:
stiffer damper make suspension move slower, car jump because spring power.
My understanding about your opinion:
stiffer damper make the suspension unable to move at all so the force goes straight to the car body.

Scaff
Additionally my Integra does not jump more at lower damper values, it jumps more at higher damper values. Did you not bother to read my test fully?
my mistake.

Scaff
Does a FWD car understeer in a corner under full throttle. Of course it does, it you ask the same tyres to turn and drive the car at the same time they only have so much traction they can deliver. To get them to do both at once will result in less grip at the front than the rear, which results in understeer.
That is not what I meant. I want to know if integra touring simulated correctly or not.
I just thought it's funny that I never have understeer problem in integra touring, everytime I floor it, it just goes to where the front wheel headed to.

Scaff
So you are admitting that one of the points of observation is not available to you?
Yes.
Scaff
Yes but steer the car when? At turn-in, under braking or throttle (and full, constant or increasing throttle at that), etc.
at turn exit.

Scaff
First Anti-roll bars are most certainly connected to the suspension system of the car and not to the car body itself; the very purpose of an anti-roll bar is that the suspension on the two sides of a car are only connected by a car body that will flex. They join the two sides of the suspension to reduce this flex, as such they are only effective during the application of lateral forces, and do not effect longitudinal forces.
Yes, I though it attached to car body when I see this:

benefit: less body roll
weakness: less left and right wheel independency

Scaff
Again? OK if springs are very under-damped once they start a cycle of oscillations they will continue until the energy is dissipated, increasing the damping will control this and its one of the fundamental purposes of a damper. However if the damper values are set to high then they can reduce the springs ability to react, in this situation the spring and damper do not absorb more and more energy, they can’t react quickly enough to do that and it is transferred through the suspension to the car itself.
You still don't explain what happen to the suspension or car after that.

Scaff
Did you actually bother to take a good look at the full replays? In now way do the higher damper values display what you have described above as wallowing or bouncing. The movement of the cars body shell in relation to the wheels is minimal with the higher damper values, and the car is visibly stiff and the tyres do not stick to the road better at all. That’s without (the once again omitted) areas of feel.
That is not what I see.

Scaff
On planet Sucahyo maybe, you seem to forget the level of experience I have with real world cars and testing. Stiff damper settings do not feel softer because they slow down the reaction of the suspension. This slower reaction is more likely to stop the suspension reacting quickly enough and increase the level of force transferred through to the car itself, resulting in a harsher ride.
depend on what damper value we refer to. in my planet it goes from no damper to medium. in your planet it goes from medium to infinitely high value.

Scaff
Well all I can say is you must have a very different version of the game to everyone else, GT4 has the highest level of track surface detail of any of the GT series.
It has nothing to do with highest level of track surface detail or it simulate the real world track perfectly. It just that PD track designer decide to make it smoother. I am saying that one obstacle of suspension tuning is gone in GT4. No road ripple = no scary ride = easier tuning.
Even if GT2 track is less realistic, more horrible, I love it.
IIRC, Tiff needle said de la sarthe straight should be more scary

Scaff
First type in the title you want to give the link, then highlight it and click on the 'Insert Link' icon. Paste the link in the window that appears and click on OK.
Thanks.

Scaff
Damper values in GT4 are not reversed, all the increased level of testing does is pile up more and more evidence to support this.
We have different opinion on how real life jump or bounce happen, so we don't have the same conclusion.

sucahyo
Because our opinion about how real life jump bounce or jump behaviour is different, I don't think we can have a conclusion about how damper work in GT4. I refuse to believe that suspension will not react fast enough on some damper value.
So you refuse to believe that damper settings can be too stiff to allow the suspension to not be able to react quickly enough? Then explain this Skip Barber quote (that you appear now to have both agreed and disagreed with on numerous occasions).

Skip Barber
Expect that the shock settings for bumpy racetracks will have to be softer in order to allow the suspension to move fast enough to keep the tyres in contact with the track surface.

The above quote quite clearly says you are wrong, stiff dampers can and will result in a loss of tyre contact with the road. But hell what do I know, again its what I do for a job vs. the pet theories of someone who knew nothing about dampers six months ago.

sucahyo
Until you explain it better. The important part related to GT4 is at what exact damper value the spring can't react fast enough (give me example please). The important part related to real life is what happen in each step, bounce and rebounce. Or maybe you are saying the car will leave the ground before the spring goes to rebounce step ?
What I imagine when you say "it can not react quickly enough" is the suspension do not move at all, is that what you mean?
What I believe:
stiffer damper make suspension move slower, car jump because spring power.
My understanding about your opinion:
stiffer damper make the suspension unable to move at all so the force goes straight to the car body.

Again your understanding of my opinion is wrong. I have never said that the suspension is unable to move (and this is not the first time I have corrected you on this point), I have said that the dampers slow the reaction of the suspension to such a degree that they are unable to move quickly enough (note I did not say unable to move). The remaining force has to go somewere, its not going to be rebound as that would require the suspension to be reacting quickly enough to do it. The remaining force is transfered to the car.

sucahyo
my mistake.
One of a great many, your posts are increasingly inacurate and poorly writen with a great deal of 'pop' theory on how you beleive suspension should work.

sucahyo
That is not what I meant. I want to know if integra touring simulated correctly or not.
I just thought it's funny that I never have understeer problem in integra touring, everytime I floor it, it just goes to where the front wheel headed to.
Riiiiiiiiiiggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhttttttttttt, I don't believe you.

Just a few posts ago you said you were not able to carry out the Integra test because you could not hit the corner consistently and now you can get the car to go exactly were you want it to go every time.

Which one is it?

sucahyo
Yes, I though it attached to car body when I see this:

benefit: less body roll
weakness: less left and right wheel independency
So again we have an example of you'r theory and interpritation being incorrect, yet you posted it as fact.

This is a consistent trait that you have and one that is getting very annoying, posting something as fact when you do not know it to be true is getting close to a breach of GT Planet's AUP. I would strongly advice you to not state things as if they were fact unless you know so.

You also now agree that they will have an effect on the cars handling characteristics, In other words they will have an effect on your tests.

sucahyo
You still don't explain what happen to the suspension or car after that.
If the force transfered is minor then the ride will be very harsh and uncomfortable, if the force is greater the car may well loose contact with the track surface. It does not stop the suspension going into rebound, but only the force the suspension was able to deal with will be involved.

You keep trying to suggest that the suspension system is capable of totally isolating the car from the road surface, which is totaly incorrect. You insist that its not possiable for this to happen yet it is quite clear to anyone who has ever been in a moving car (let alone driven one) that force from road imperfections is transfered to the rest of the car through the suspension.

I have to ask, how long have you actually been driving and what direct experience of differing suspesnion types and how the react to different surfaces in a car have you encountered?

I ask this as you references to real world experiences are often made, but always very vauge. As I have been clear in my experience (over 15 years as a driver, 10 years in the motor industry and countless hours testing at tracks and proving grounds). I hope that you reply is going to indicate a wealth of experience as you seem to be suggesting that yo know a great deal more about car feel and behaviour that I do.

sucahyo
That is not what I see.
Then I have to suggest that you do not know what you are looking for, the changes in the relationship between the car body and wheels is minimal despite a loss of contact with the road. Higher damper values in GT4 certainly do not show 'wallow' of the car body on the suspension, that looks like the RBR video I posted (and I have some more).

sucahyo
depend on what damper value we refer to. in my planet it goes from no damper to medium. in your planet it goes from medium to infinitely high value.
If your planet is the same one the rest of us live on then I would be very surprised. In the real world (as I said) the characteristic you described of increasingly firm dampers providing a softer feel is quite simply wrong.

sucahyo
It has nothing to do with highest level of track surface detail or it simulate the real world track perfectly. It just that PD track designer decide to make it smoother. I am saying that one obstacle of suspension tuning is gone in GT4. No road ripple = no scary ride = easier tuning.
Even if GT2 track is less realistic, more horrible, I love it.
IIRC, Tiff needle said de la sarthe straight should be more scary
Hold on, you are using a dodgy digital (I assume non Sony) joypad with GT4 yet are making factual statements about the feel.

Try it with a DS2 or better a decent force feedback wheel and then come and tell us that. You have also made the claim now that tuning in GT4 is easy and that we get no scarey ride in GT4. OK take a fully modified Caterham Firebalde on N2 tyres to the 'ring with all the driver aids turned off and then come back and tell me its easy.

Hold on thats a thought, just to check, you are carrying these tests out with all the driver aids set to zero?

How can you also claim that GT4 has a higher level of surface detail, but is smoother? Are you aware that the 'road ripple' you describe in GT2 is not even remotely realistic?

You also recall incorrectly, I have just re-watched that 5th gear feature and Tiff is highly complimentary about the surface bumps and how close they are to the real thing. In fact he says that the car skitters slightly too much, how can that be not scary enough or too smooth?

I have also driven on the Nurburgring and can quite confidently state that the GT4 version as by far and away the most accurate in terms of track surface detail and bumps. The EPR and Forza versiosn do not even come close.

sucahyo
We have different opinion on how real life jump or bounce happen, so we don't have the same conclusion.
No you have an opinion on how real life dampers (and suspension tuning in total) works that does not match the real world, you are trying to force GT4 to match your thinking.

The slight problem you have with this is here at GTP a good number of us know how dampers work and react, a subject you admit you knew nothing about until about six months ago (when you first made this claim). Yet you refuse to admit the possability that despite not knowing (or at the time caring) about how real dampers work, that you are wrong.

I Have put together a couple of new RBR videos, on gravel, one with min damper settings and one with max damper values.

RBR Gravel Min Damper Values

RBR Gravel Max Damper Values

The min values video shows what real wallowing looks like, a characteristic that does not appear in GT4. The car body can clearly be seen to 'wallow' on the suspension. The car is difficult to drive but very rarely losses conatct with the surface

In contrast teh max values video shows very limited movement of the car body on the suspension and upon contact with bigger bumps the car will lose contact with the surface. It also does something that GT4 will not allow and that is roll and/or flip, as can be seen stopping thi swill have a major impact on the car's behaviour.

Now are you going to tell me that the reason the RBR car rolled and flipped is because the dampers were set to soft, as you have clearly stated before that stiffly damped cars will not act in the way they are doing in this video.

BTW - please do not try and dismiss the RBR videos or RBR as a sim. It is widely recognised as one of the single most acurate sims avaliable.

In addition you have now also addmitted that you are not able to use sound and have issues through the controller you use with feel, so once again you are limiting the information you use to make these claims.

Regards

Scaff

to sucahyo,
even racing cars have slight body roll under cornering and that's the reason they use some negative camber. Another reason is that tires are flexible and you're getting more even load distribution if you use camber.
About F1 cars I recall them using pretty high positive camber on rear tires because that makes them able to corner better under acceleration, someone please correct me if this isn't a fact after all

Scaff
Then explain this Skip Barber quote (that you appear now to have both agreed and disagreed with on numerous occasions).
The above quote quite clearly says you are wrong, stiff dampers can and will result in a loss of tyre contact with the road.
This is my interpretation of those quote:

red as road bump, blue as tire movement.
The spring rebound too slow, the tire is loosing traction, but I don't call this as jump.

This is what I mean by jump:

The spring rebound too quick, the tire is loosing traction and jump.

Scaff
Again your understanding of my opinion is wrong. I have never said that the suspension is unable to move (and this is not the first time I have corrected you on this point), I have said that the dampers slow the reaction of the suspension to such a degree that they are unable to move quickly enough (note I did not say unable to move). The remaining force has to go somewere, its not going to be rebound as that would require the suspension to be reacting quickly enough to do it. The remaining force is transfered to the car.
I see, my mistakes then, I am bolding word that confuse me. So you are saying that suspension move too slow. It makes sense to me now, it's complement to what I said before: "stiffer damper make suspension move slower"

Stiffer damper make the suspension move slower so that it can't move fast enough.:

About rebound, I think GT4 damper is not too stiff so it will still rebound.

Scaff
Just a few posts ago you said you were not able to carry out the Integra test because you could not hit the corner consistently and now you can get the car to go exactly were you want it to go every time.
It's not to where I want, it's to where the wheel direct to. I don't have accuracy needed, but I can still make the wheel turn.

Scaff
So again we have an example of you'r theory and interpritation being incorrect, yet you posted it as fact.
if it's about swaybar attached to car body, it's my mistakes. if it's about benefit and weakness, I am rewording someone else's.

Scaff
You also now agree that they will have an effect on the cars handling characteristics, In other words they will have an effect on your tests.
enough to make it invalid?

Scaff
You keep trying to suggest that the suspension system is capable of totally isolating the car from the road surface, which is totaly incorrect. You insist that its not possiable for this to happen yet it is quite clear to anyone who has ever been in a moving car (let alone driven one) that force from road imperfections is transfered to the rest of the car through the suspension.
spring rebound before it make the car jump on big bump if the damper is too soft, more bound = more rebound = higher jump. on stiff damper less bound = less rebound = less jump. on ultra stiff damper the car will launch from the bump top.

Scaff
I have to ask, how long have you actually been driving and what direct experience of differing suspesnion types and how the react to different surfaces in a car have you encountered?
10 years. more than 10 different car, most of them SUV. Road ranging from smooth, bumpy, uneven, rocky to muddy.

Scaff
Then I have to suggest that you do not know what you are looking for, the changes in the relationship between the car body and wheels is minimal despite a loss of contact with the road. Higher damper values in GT4 certainly do not show 'wallow' of the car body on the suspension, that looks like the RBR video I posted (and I have some more).
Are you talking about Subaru 360 using 1.5/1.4 spring rate and maximum ride height do not have wallow?

Scaff
Try it with a DS2 or better a decent force feedback wheel and then come and tell us that. You have also made the claim now that tuning in GT4 is easy and that we get no scarey ride in GT4. OK take a fully modified Caterham Firebalde on N2 tyres to the 'ring with all the driver aids turned off and then come back and tell me its easy.
Ok, I'll do it. From what I already do, driving caterham in deep forest with max spring rate and max damper is not scary, driving Falken GT-R with stiff spring rate on nurburgring is not scary. Scary is when I have to struggle controlling the car sometime even on straight. I am not saying it's easy, it's easier. You don't have to be carefull with your damper anymore.

Scaff
Hold on thats a thought, just to check, you are carrying these tests out with all the driver aids set to zero?
yes. Using driver aids make tuning harder, so I don't use it. It become my hated routine to zero driver aid on every new car.

Scaff
How can you also claim that GT4 has a higher level of surface detail, but is smoother? Are you aware that the 'road ripple' you describe in GT2 is not even remotely realistic?
I am aware that it is less realistic, but I like it more. Higher level of surface detail mean developer has choice of using more triangle in 1 square meter road. Mean they have the option to make more bumpy road or more smooth road. Mean they have the option to make smaller bump. It shows clearly on rally stage. On tarmac stage bump is less. On deep forest there is places where the tire would vibrate, but that's it, passing those places on maximum spring with caterham is not scary.

Scaff
You also recall incorrectly, I have just re-watched that 5th gear feature and Tiff is highly complimentary about the surface bumps and how close they are to the real thing. In fact he says that the car skitters slightly too much, how can that be not scary enough or too smooth?
I see.

Scaff
I have also driven on the Nurburgring and can quite confidently state that the GT4 version as by far and away the most accurate in terms of track surface detail and bumps. The EPR and Forza versiosn do not even come close.
Ok, but I don't like it, less challenge, more boring.

BTW, I have Falken GT-R in nurbburgring video. do you have interest to find what suspension setting that can make GT4 falken GT-R behave/bounce like the real one does? If you do, can you post it?

Scaff
I Have put together a couple of new RBR videos, on gravel, one with min damper settings and one with max damper values.
Thanks.

Scaff
The min values video shows what real wallowing looks like, a characteristic that does not appear in GT4. The car body can clearly be seen to 'wallow' on the suspension. The car is difficult to drive but very rarely losses conatct with the surface
How about Subaru 360 using softest spring and d-high (in autumn ring)?

Scaff
In contrast teh max values video shows very limited movement of the car body on the suspension and upon contact with bigger bumps the car will lose contact with the surface.
loosing contact can happen too if you use stiff spring and very soft damper.

Scaff
Now are you going to tell me that the reason the RBR car rolled and flipped is because the dampers were set to soft, as you have clearly stated before that stiffly damped cars will not act in the way they are doing in this video.
That can happen too.
What I learn from RBR video:
stiffer damper = less bouncing. on "Gravel Dampers Max RBR.MPG" when the car hit the dirt, the car rear body lift up, after dropping down it do not bounce.
stiffer damper = less traction. the car tire do not seems to follow road countour.
softer damper = more bouncing.
softer damper = more traction. the car tire follow the road countour.

My GT4 test result:
higher value damper = more bouncing.

Speed Drifter
even racing cars have slight body roll under cornering and that's the reason they use some negative camber. Another reason is that tires are flexible and you're getting more even load distribution if you use camber.
For camber, many of my 300mph car (with softest spring rate) loose traction more on 1.5 camber compare to 0 camber. On my attempt to drift Falken GT-R, Mustang GT, RUF BTR2, RUF RGT, camber value 2 always have less traction than camber value 0 on softest spring and highest ride height. So I really don't see the point of using 2.0 camber on medium spring rate and low ride height aside from reducing cornering traction.

Back