GT4 Liscense Tests

  • Thread starter Thread starter Iceman
  • 58 comments
  • 2,741 views

Iceman

Staff Emeritus
Messages
5,491
United States
Wisconsin, USA
Since GT4 will be having more license test like in GT3 what would you like to see different about them? Personally, I think that GT3 tests were too easy to get bronze. Gold was just right. There should be less of a gap between the two to make it more challenging to get the bronze. Also I think all of the tests should end in a full track lap. I liked the rally tests but there should have been more and probably could have been a lot more challenging. What are your thoughts?
 
as much as i did like the tests that consist of entire laps, i did like section tests too. IMO, the difficulty level was fine but it is true it was a bit too easy to get bronze. in short, i really dont care what kind of tests there are just gimmie the game already :)
 
I assume you being american and therefor did not play Prologue? (correct me if I'm wrong)

The Prologue test give it away, Racetests:

Overtaking your opponent on the inside
Overtaking your opponent on the outside
Overtake 3 cars
Overtake 6 cars
Chasing cars in front when being on a time delay yourself
Fuel economy

etc...

:)
 
Yep, didnt get Prolouge, but I am assuming that the test will be different in GT4. That would be kind of cheap if the tests were the same from Prolouge to GT4.
 
I don't think you'll ever see the bronze difficulty being raised too much. Not when you have to obtain the licenses in order to race. You've got to make it so really sucky players can enjoy the game too. :p
 
icemanshooter23
Since GT4 will be having more license test like in GT3 what would you like to see different about them? Personally, I think that GT3 tests were too easy to get bronze. Gold was just right. There should be less of a gap between the two to make it more challenging to get the bronze. Also I think all of the tests should end in a full track lap. I liked the rally tests but there should have been more and probably could have been a lot more challenging. What are your thoughts?

I thought the difficulty was just fine. I just like getting the licenses so I can race. I dont try to get gold on each one.
 
Lethalchem
I don't think you'll ever see the bronze difficulty being raised too much. Not when you have to obtain the licenses in order to race. You've got to make it so really sucky players can enjoy the game too. :p

I'd rather like to hear "players who don't care about 'all gold' and 100% completion".
 
True, that would be cheap, but they gave away a clue with Prologue.

I agree with your first post opinion that Bronze should be a fair bit harder to get!

(you fail your real life driving test for small stupid mistake also, so why not in "the real driving simulator" )
 
RedOak
I'd rather like to hear "players who don't care about 'all gold' and 100% completion".

No, I understand what you're saying, but you misunderstand what I was getting at. I'm not saying getting gold is important, I'm saying that they have to make BRONZE easy enough that a huge variety of ages and skills could at least obtain it so they can enjoy the game. It wasn't a slam on people who don't care about golds.
👍
 
^ And I think that's the reason why they are so easy, the people who only want the liscences to be able to do the races, and who dont really care about improving their times. I think on GTP you'll find a lot more people who like a challenge, instead of being able to pass the license right away.
 
PhatFat
I thought the difficulty was just fine. I just like getting the licenses so I can race. I dont try to get gold on each one.

Trying to achieve golds, helps you become a better racer/driver.

Anyone can achieve bronze and get a license, but you dont need any technique to achieve it.
Getting golds teaches you all about car control, physics and handling.
 
One of the things I did like in GT3 were the cars you won after getting all gold in a certain license level. It was a good way to reward a player for their extra work and gave you a head start in the game. This time around, I'd like to see those prize cars be exclusive to the license test, just to give that extra incentive to get golds.
 
GTXLR
Trying to achieve golds, helps you become a better racer/driver.

Anyone can achieve bronze and get a license, but you dont need any technique to achieve it.
Getting golds teaches you all about car control, physics and handling.
Exactly. And one shouldn't stop after getting all golds, either. You should do the tests until you get all gold on the first attempt. Do that, then you can call yourself a GT3 Master. I'm trying to do it, but I've stopped because it's way too hard. But, I'll tell you this much; I'm a better driver for doing it. You shouldn't stop after getting all gold.
 
Personally I think the bronze/gold level was about right in GT3, particularly on the PAL version where some of the easiest to gold were made harder.

I do think that GT4P was too easy to get golds in - I golded the lot in three evenings, and I didn't play all evening either. Whilst I thought the level was too easy, some of the tests were good fun, particularly the overtaking ones where you had to pass a number of other cars within a short(ish) distance without touching any of them.

But getting bronzes shouldn't be too hard. They're there to teach you the rudiments of car control and have to be achievable by kids who know little about cars, not just hardcore petrolheads.
 
GTXLR
Trying to achieve golds, helps you become a better racer/driver.

Abso-fn-lutely. I religiously chase Golds in Tests before I even step into the 'game proper'. I think, even if some spend some time trying (even if they don't eventually succeed) for Gold, they'll benefit from it in the long run...

icemanshooter23
This time around, I'd like to see those prize cars be exclusive to the license test, just to give that extra incentive to get golds.

Yeah, I have to agree with you there, sometimes some tests require repeated attempts to get that elusive Gold, so a car that cannot be obtained anywhere else is ample award, just don't make them lame cars though, make them hum-dingers/pearlers/the cream.

Hopefully I won't need to run GT4's tests as I brought GT4P specifically so it'd give me a headstart in achieving Golds, as they're meant to be transferable... only time will tell...
 
If you can win bronze in the license tests, you can easily win just about any race in GT3.

Don't know about GT4, I hope it will demand something more from the player.
 
That all depends on what car you use Fozzyfan. If you use cars of comparable horsepower or less, the races can often be quite challenging.
 
I don't see the point in going for all golds straight away before you even do a single race. It is just a game after all...

Personally I like to do the tests up to whatever standard i can get after a couple of attempts, usually silver, and then go race. I go back to the tests once i get bored of racing or fancy a new challenge.

I prefer section tests to full laps myself, they're usually less frustrating and if you have to use a crappy car it means you don't have to put up with it for so long!
 
Bah, all this "getting gold makes you a better driver" is fine for newbies, but for people who really want to become a better driver in GT4 i suggest this:
GET ON THE TRACKS!.
improve on your own times, learn them, i'd rather do a 15 lap timeattack on nurburgring than trying to get gold on all tests.
 
i don't think they should make getting them any harder. it's a game. i want to play the game not just keep doing the tests over and over.

i don't really care about getting everything done. i just want to drive around the cars that i really like.
 
I always hated the tests where you had to do a full lap. I'm pretty good and fast, but I make mistakes. In a race those mistakes would be made up for by the speed in the other sections. In such a test a mistake means you lose...
That's why I hope GT4's handling of the cars will be more consistent. I always had the feeling with GT3 (and a bit with Prologue) that the car can react different everytime, even if it's the exact same situation.
 
SaintKamus
Bah, all this "getting gold makes you a better driver" is fine for newbies, but for people who really want to become a better driver in GT4 i suggest this:
GET ON THE TRACKS!.
improve on your own times, learn them, i'd rather do a 15 lap timeattack on nurburgring than trying to get gold on all tests.
I don't think getting all golds is for newbies, but exactly the opposite. And aren't all the tests "on a track"? I can say that getting all golds in GT3 has really helped me get a lot faster, and now I'm in Division 1 in GTP's weekly race series.
 
for me, licenses play a big part of the game. I like the challenge of trying to get golds. Since racing becomes kinda easy as u get more powerful cars.

artz
 
SuntoucherUK
I don't see the point in going for all golds straight away before you even do a single race. It is just a game after all...

Personally I like to do the tests up to whatever standard i can get after a couple of attempts, usually silver, and then go race. I go back to the tests once i get bored of racing or fancy a new challenge.

I prefer section tests to full laps myself, they're usually less frustrating and if you have to use a crappy car it means you don't have to put up with it for so long!

I was gonna post pretty much that. When I get a new GT game, I just blast through the licence test to get to the racing proper, then come back to them if there's a good reason to get all golds (such as exclusive cars). As it is, I'm hoping my all-golds GT4: Prologue save will let me jump straight into GT4...
 
Hopefully the licence tests will follow prologue's route of making the tests more relevant to the rest of the game. I was never a fan of the tests for GT1, GT2 & GT3, i completed them to unlock other parts of the game, i golded a few but never really tried. Thoses earlyer tests only rewarded 'acurate driving' where as the tests in prologue reward 'race craft' as well. I think race craft is more important than acurate driving whilst playing the actual game. The tests in Prologue were challenging rather than just plain hard as they were in the other games.
 
:) I thought the points system in GT4P was good as well where you were awarded extra points over and above the 100 for gold the faster you went... A nice challenge to see how many points you could get in total...

Perhaps they could have a unique reward car for certain points levels acheived, ie. 5000, 6000, 7000 etc with the cars getting gradually better.

Paul.
 
plfrench
Perhaps they could have a unique reward car for certain points levels acheived, ie. 5000, 6000, 7000 etc with the cars getting gradually better.

While that in theory sounds ok, IMO it's not. What it will see is people resorting to wall-riding etc to get those extra points to get that extra car, thus it's in sorts promoting bad techniques...
 
I think it's a given that GT4 will include the infamous "drive-in-a-straight-line-and-stop-in-the-finish-zone-or-you-fail" tests.
 
hellnback
While that in theory sounds ok, IMO it's not. What it will see is people resorting to wall-riding etc to get those extra points to get that extra car, thus it's in sorts promoting bad techniques...

dude where you from in Nz?
 
hellnback
While that in theory sounds ok, IMO it's not. What it will see is people resorting to wall-riding etc to get those extra points to get that extra car, thus it's in sorts promoting bad techniques...

💡 In that case, they should lower the crash detection tolerances so that people couldn't wall ride and it would make it much fairer.

Paul.
 
Back