GT4 Liscense Tests

  • Thread starter Thread starter Iceman
  • 58 comments
  • 2,741 views
icemanshooter23
One of the things I did like in GT3 were the cars you won after getting all gold in a certain license level. It was a good way to reward a player for their extra work and gave you a head start in the game. This time around, I'd like to see those prize cars be exclusive to the license test, just to give that extra incentive to get golds.

I agree 100 % with that, even if I only got B license gold with GT3 .
If I remember, the prize for the A license in GT1 is the TRD 3000 and it's the only way to get it. If I'm wrong , please correct that info.
 
GT1 and GT2 both had cars that were exlusively available by getting gold in the license tests.

I only managed to get all golds in my B, A, and IC licenses in GT 2 though. I didn't even try in GT3, because it was pointless since I could just buy those cars anyway.

Anyway, they'd better not make bronze harder. I like to breeze through the licenses in like an hour so I can get onto the actual game. Afterwards I'll go back and get the golds.
 
Well if you don't enjoy license tests, and see them merely as a means to an end, then it's hardly surprising you struggle to pass them/gold them.

License tests are the best part of the game, because they show you how to improve your laptimes in ways that simply driving round a track will not do. When driving races you often will not notice the weak points of your driving, but short, focused license tests are there to enable you to iron out such weaknesses and develop them into strong points.

E.g. You may be slow in 90 degree corners, and not notice because you are fast enough in other areas to get a good lap time. Then you do a license test in a 90 degree corner, and fail repeatedly. To get silver/gold you will be made to improve your technique. Then, if you go back to racing, you will be faster overall because you are faster in that type of corner.
 
F310B
Well if you don't enjoy license tests, and see them merely as a means to an end, then it's hardly surprising you struggle to pass them/gold them.

License tests are the best part of the game, because they show you how to improve your laptimes in ways that simply driving round a track will not do. When driving races you often will not notice the weak points of your driving, but short, focused license tests are there to enable you to iron out such weaknesses and develop them into strong points.

E.g. You may be slow in 90 degree corners, and not notice because you are fast enough in other areas to get a good lap time. Then you do a license test in a 90 degree corner, and to get silver/gold you will be made to improve your technique. Then, if you go back to racing, you will be faster overall because you are faster in that type of corner.
I'd rather just win the race with a less good 90 degree corner than spending 4 hours on a license test to get it gold...
 
Well, that's all well and good, but the races in GT aren't exactly challenging. The point of getting gold licenses isn't really the achievement, but rather the attention to detail in various cars and corners, and how much faster it makes you as a driver in all situations. You don't get that as much from races.
 
Make bronze easy (for people who don't like doing hard tests, because (me)), and make gold hard (for people who like the challenge of doing the same boring test over and over).
 
F310B
Well if you don't enjoy license tests, and see them merely as a means to an end, then it's hardly surprising you struggle to pass them/gold them.

License tests are the best part of the game, because they show you how to improve your laptimes in ways that simply driving round a track will not do. When driving races you often will not notice the weak points of your driving, but short, focused license tests are there to enable you to iron out such weaknesses and develop them into strong points.

E.g. You may be slow in 90 degree corners, and not notice because you are fast enough in other areas to get a good lap time. Then you do a license test in a 90 degree corner, and fail repeatedly. To get silver/gold you will be made to improve your technique. Then, if you go back to racing, you will be faster overall because you are faster in that type of corner.

To be honest, I really don't care if I shave a few hundredths of a second off of my time.

I play GT pretty much exclusively to fill my garage with awesome cars. As long as I'm good enough to collect any car I want easily, I'm happy. If there are exclusive cars to won in license tests, I'll do them. If not, they'll be staying at Bronze or silver and I won't lose any sleep about it.
 
Well, each to his own.

But, as I said, if you don't *enjoy* driving license tests, you *will* find them harder.
 
Maybe they should remove the silver license, it has no use.
With the bronze you can get the license and graduate to a higher level of racing, with the golds you can have an extra car but with the silver you don't get anything extra.
Why don't they give a car prize for all silver, but a least performing one that you get with all gold. Just a suggestion.
I think that getting all gold is a lot more thrilling that just winning a race.
My wife is different, she dislikes licenses tests and qualifying. We have each our own memory card for GT3 so I passed the licenses tests for her :)
 
Licence test must be as hard as they can be! 👍
That's all I want! :)
 
What will the final license be called in GT4? Will it still be S-license? I heard something about a C-license.
 
I think they should make the tests harder but allow you to chance the settings to your own liking. That way it is not only testing your ability to drive but also your ability to propely set up a car for your needs. And seeing as settup is huge for B-spec mode this would make sense. Of course no power mods.
 
I was thinking, wouldn't it be fun to be able to use the license test tracks? I think it would be cool, for one I'm drifter so I like to use that one test where you had to do circles. basically to improve on smoothness of a drift and how long you can keep it
 
I have to say I agree that the Silver award is generally useless bt it would look a bit silly if you went from Bronze to Gold with nothing in between. I have to say though, since I got the DFP it has slightly changed my feelings on the licence tests. I still see them as a means to an end but, as with everything in GT4, theyre just a bit more fun using the steering wheel.

In answering the original question, I think the bronze and gold times are set at about the right level as it caters for both those just using the licences to race and those who make it their life's mission to get gold in everything.

Keep chasin' that dream people! ;)
 
I wonder what happened to the Feather grading sytem that featured in some early screen shots?
 
I disagree I don't think you should be able to change your settings. It should be a test purely of driving ability. If the setup doesn't suit you (e.g some of the S-tests in GT3 the cars were set up to slide a bit, or understeer a bit) then drive around it, adapt your style, and you will improve in that area.

What is the feather system?
 
F310B
I. If the setup doesn't suit you (e.g some of the S-tests in GT3 the cars were set up to slide a bit, or understeer a bit) then drive around it, adapt your style, and you will improve in that area.

Yes, that's fine, but how do you know the car you buy or win as a prize that matches the one used in the specific license test will be tuned or untuned exactly the same way as the car used for the test ?
maybe there should be an option "Test Run" in the test so you can practice with exactly the same car used in the test.
And I wouldn't mint to have some tuning oportunity with some licenses tests, maybe the most difficult ones for example.
Or maybesome "Tuning license"

"Tuning is the essence of the GT serie" lol
 
Yeah very true, in real life you wouldn't just throw a car on the track. You would tune it to your liking. I always thought, when doing a test, that with some finetuning that very same car could be seconds quicker.
Disabled people don't have to do a test drive with a normal car, they can do it with an adapted car. You can't punish them because they can't drive the bog standard car.
The same goes with the tests. Normally you make the car resistant to the mistakes you make.
 
But the tests are meant to teach you about different cars and driving styles. Using settings to overcome something about a cars driving style that you dont like would ruin the test.
 
Well while that is basicly true, but why learn about those cars and driving styles as you're never really going to use them as they are given in the test..
 
I think that the settigns need to be left alone, like stated above, the test are about pure driving skill, so the cars should technically be the exact same for all.

However how about a sort of liscence test to tune cars, it would be a great way to show people new to the gt series exactly what each se5tting does, then it would test their ability to make the car handle the way that they can drive it best, however i have no idea what you would use that liscence for, unless you restricted professional parts to those who could ear the tuning liscence
 
The settings might actually work for one or two tests where your specific job is to tune the car so it is able to pass the test.
 
there has been a big improvement from GT3 to prolouge in the lisence department. PD dedicated more time and effort for people to understand that " its not what you drive, its how you drive" sort of speak. from the driving school to more challenging tests. IMO GT3 tests are fair because its rated E for everyone so theres a wide age range playing the GT series
 
SaintKamus
Bah, all this "getting gold makes you a better driver" is fine for newbies, but for people who really want to become a better driver in GT4 i suggest this:
GET ON THE TRACKS!.
improve on your own times, learn them, i'd rather do a 15 lap timeattack on nurburgring than trying to get gold on all tests.
would have to agree with you there. running full laps over and over again would be a better learning experience. Especially via time trials like GT3, which I must confess that I have not done much do to lack of time to play. Would rather be racing, buying, tuning cars. Would be nice if record laps only counted if you kept two tires on the track at all times.
 
Here is something that I really think should be implemented into future versions of GT in respect to the license test. They should allow us to do the license test sort of independent of all the other modes. That way it could be saved to a memory card and you would not have to redo the license test every time you want to start the game over. To me that would add alot of playability to the game series. I think silver should give perhaps a certain amount of credits to the player. Just enough that if you got say 50 percent silver, on all the test it would total to about 10,000 credits.
 
icemanshooter23
One of the things I did like in GT3 were the cars you won after getting all gold in a certain license level. It was a good way to reward a player for their extra work and gave you a head start in the game. This time around, I'd like to see those prize cars be exclusive to the license test, just to give that extra incentive to get golds.

If i've understood you correctly, I totally agree. There should be some high value cars that should only be available on achieving the Gold result on a test. Hopefully PD are going to give us some real challenges with the tests.
 
I think all the licenses need is all the basic things you need to race well and then work up to the more complicated stuff. Also there should be a test for throddle control using a very powerful car with no traction, but I don't know how that would work...
 
Iceman- I really agree with you....my brother got all the same cars that I did and he got bronze on every single test. Kinda makes you think "well, what is the point of spending weeks on gettting gold on everything?"
 
If you want to be a fast driver, it's worth golding all the license tests. Once you have golded all the tests in GT3 you have reached a certain standard - the 'gold' standard. Now, you may have achieved that standard without golding all the tests but how would you know? You might as well find out if you are good enough or not.

Of course, there are standards above all-gold license tests. This is obvious. On the S-license tests in GT3, for example, it is possible to get as much as 4 seconds inside gold for the longer/harder runs (e.g, a clean 1:23.2 has been achieved for S-8, but you only need to get 1:27.8 for gold).
 
Back