GT4 = Swiss Army Knife?

• Thread starter ethanol
  • 58 comments
Ok, ok... lemme explain my gibberish subject.

In reading some of these threads, my concern is we (lol - like we are developing it) are trying to turn GT4 into the swiss army knife of games.

Don't get me wrong - a Swiss Army knife is a hell of a tool - Mine has gotten me out of a whole pile of binds. However, if I want to chop down a tree, I could do it with my knife, however, using a tool specifically for this would be alot better.

Now, enough with that useless analogy (it all made sense in my head - or so the voices said)

What I'd suggest is *dumping* the rally, don't even consider drag racing...

Don't get me wrong - I absolutely love Rally Racing - but, you are doing a huge disservice by throwing in a little half-assed, duct-taped together version that we've got already - Rally racing should be all about stages, and if you want to arcade it up a bit (as you should) keep the 2 player mode, but shrink the width of the track - kick up dirt (that stays on the car), roll your car (to be rolled back on its wheels by those crazy spectators) etc... etc...

Hmm... I hope this makes sense - I myself would take GT4 back to its roots - Racing cars (whether they be Mini's or F1's) on roads.
Now, with the time you've saved by dumping the rally racing, they could incorporate a number (alot) of used vehicles back in the game (just using that as an example) and bring racing mods back.

Now, aside from GT4, there's nothing I'd like more than to see GranTurismo Rally at some point in the future. From what I gather, the new Rally game for Xbox is s'posed to be a pretty amazing game, but doesn't have the same attention to detail that GT does... So, I think PD should step up to the plate.

:)

Just my professional (err... personal) opinion

I'm right there with you on that one. GranTurismo needs to get back to Grand Touring racing. Things like JGTC and LeMans are what made that game so popular. The rally should be its own game, and would probably make a lot of sales on its own.

There is no need for all this "ricer" stuff in GT - that's what Tokyo Extreme Racer Zero is for. And drag racing is just STUPID.

~LoudMusic

Originally posted by LoudMusic
There is no need for all this "ricer" stuff in GT - that's what Tokyo Extreme Racer Zero is for. And drag racing is just STUPID.

<shrug> All the "ricer" stuff is basically just drag racing. Or perhaps I've watched the Fast and the Furious too many times.

Regardless of what uhh... (Hmmm.. I don't remember who) always says - I don't think there's any scientific proof that stickers make a car go faster.

Now I've gotta find out who that was and give credit (blame? - lol)

Yeah, that's another thing I don't get. Why do those guys rice up a car so much and then drive it in a strait line? That's so stupid!

blah

~LoudMusic

Originally posted by LoudMusic
Why do those guys rice up a car so much and then drive it in a strait line? That's so stupid!

hahaha - Never try and second guess someones logic - or lack thereof.

I don't know if you are in the US or where you are, but all you've got to do is drive down any US or Canadian street and see the number of SUV's on the road - I doubt any of 'em have ever been further than a gravel road, never mind "off road". I myself have a Ranger 4x4 but never needed the 4x4 other than to deal with our nasty winters.

<shrug> Ya, I agree - I can't see the logic - but I also can't figure out for the life of me why my neighbor has a $70k Land Rover to haul around his wife Mimi and his poodle Fifi

Originally posted by MazKid
blah all you conservative people! We need more more more!!!

lol man - I'm not knockin' it - I just don't understand it.

Geez... maybe I'm getting old? I have this odd urge to stand on the street corner, waving my cane around and yellin' at the "young punks"

:D

I think that they should have more stuff though, and I don't care if they have 2 or more discs. With my boring life I need a game that I can have fun in for a long time, and while GT3 is it now(hybrids), it won't last forever. too bad GT4 comes out in a long time...

Originally posted by ethanol
Ok, ok... lemme explain my gibberish subject.

In reading some of these threads, my concern is we (lol - like we are developing it) are trying to turn GT4 into the swiss army knife of games.

Don't get me wrong - a Swiss Army knife is a hell of a tool - Mine has gotten me out of a whole pile of binds. However, if I want to chop down a tree, I could do it with my knife, however, using a tool specifically for this would be alot better.

Now, enough with that useless analogy (it all made sense in my head - or so the voices said)

What I'd suggest is *dumping* the rally, don't even consider drag racing...

Don't get me wrong - I absolutely love Rally Racing - but, you are doing a huge disservice by throwing in a little half-assed, duct-taped together version that we've got already - Rally racing should be all about stages, and if you want to arcade it up a bit (as you should) keep the 2 player mode, but shrink the width of the track - kick up dirt (that stays on the car), roll your car (to be rolled back on its wheels by those crazy spectators) etc... etc...

Hmm... I hope this makes sense - I myself would take GT4 back to its roots - Racing cars (whether they be Mini's or F1's) on roads.
Now, with the time you've saved by dumping the rally racing, they could incorporate a number (alot) of used vehicles back in the game (just using that as an example) and bring racing mods back.

Now, aside from GT4, there's nothing I'd like more than to see GranTurismo Rally at some point in the future. From what I gather, the new Rally game for Xbox is s'posed to be a pretty amazing game, but doesn't have the same attention to detail that GT does... So, I think PD should step up to the plate.

Just my professional (err... personal) opinion

Hmm... YES THATS A POINT!!

bring back tahiti road, grindlewald and the Highspeed ring!!

also bring back those 500 lovley cars...exept the Ford KA and those sort of wussy cars :)

Ya... Perhaps it's just me. I just run into it daily working with developers (I do project management). The problem is, everyone wants to "over engineer" every piece of software. They take something and try to throw in everything but the kitchen sink, run short of time and then push it out the door not fully completed.

Look at the first release of GT2 - They shoved it out the door 98.2% completed. hehehe

Don't get me wrong. GranTurismo is the game. I just get concerned when it starts getting all diluted. Don't stray from the formula that made it strong.

Originally posted by W_conneely

Hmm... YES THATS A POINT!!

bring back tahiti road, grindlewald and the Highspeed ring!!

also bring back those 500 lovley cars...exept the Ford KA and those sort of wussy cars :)
Amen! :D

They should make separate games... expansion packs if you will, for the rally, drag racing, F1 and other non GT/road racing types of racing IMHO. Don't cloud up my GT game with your SUVs and your Vitz. Well, okay, they should keep the F1 and include more LeMans cars. ;)

Originally posted by White_GSL_SE

Amen! :D

They should make separate games... expansion packs if you will, for the rally, drag racing, F1 and other non GT/road racing types of racing IMHO. Don't cloud up my GT game with your SUVs and your Vitz. Well, okay, they should keep the F1 and include more LeMans cars. ;)

<shrug> I myself am not saying that you should eliminate the Vitz's of the world. I think that has its place in the game as well... I'd love to go back to GT2 when people could drive what they drive in real life (to a point). My buddy cruised around in his Focus, I cruised around in my Taurus... Since Vitz (Yaris??) is supposedly an incredibly popular car, it does belong in the game.

Now... where do you draw the line? Motorcycles? Nah... they don't have a place, since this is a game about cars (??) If they want to throw another 2 wheels on a bike and surround it by a body, then sure... it fits. (Wait - that's a Vitz)

SUV's and Trucks? Nah... *most* don't have a place - There are exceptions to this too though - if it *could* stay competative, then sure... throw it in there. For example, an SVT Lightning would be quite competative - Tons o' power, half-assed decent handling (no worse than a AM Vantage)... Your average Ranger or S-10? Nah - I don't care how big of a sub you've got in the back, it ain't goin' any faster.

<shrug> I myself am not saying that you should eliminate the Vitz's of the world. I think that has its place in the game as well... I'd love to go back to GT2 when people could drive what they drive in real life (to a point). My buddy cruised around in his Focus, I cruised around in my Taurus... Since Vitz (Yaris??) is supposedly an incredibly popular car, it does belong in the game.
You're not saying that. I am. ;)

The Ford Taurus is a popular car. The Toyota Camry is a popular car. The Geo Prism is a popular car. The Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth line of minivans are popular. Popular does not a good GT car make. :)

This is not "Test Drive" it is GT. ;)

The Vitz has it's place alright. It's just not on a GT game. :D

SUV's and Trucks? Nah... *most* don't have a place - There are exceptions to this too though - if it *could* stay competative, then sure... throw it in there. For example, an SVT Lightning would be quite competative - Tons o' power, half-assed decent handling (no worse than a AM Vantage)... Your average Ranger or S-10? Nah - I don't care how big of a sub you've got in the back, it ain't goin' any faster.
My point about the Vitz exactly. :)

The point about ALL of these vehicles (yes, motorcycles too) is that this is a GT game. The vehicles should be GT cars. SUVs and pickups are not GT at all, no matter how fast they are, or how well they handle. :) If you want to dilute this game with all those other non GT vehicles, they might as well make half a dozen different non-GT games to suit your tastes. ;) I just don't want to see this turn inot some kind of comprehensive all vehicle test drive simulator.

Beamer-it's GTC Africa, which stands for Global Touring Challenge Africa, and is not made by the GT people. And by the looks of the preview it's not going to be a good game...

Originally posted by White_GSL_SE

My point about the Vitz exactly. :)

The point about ALL of these vehicles (yes, motorcycles too) is that this is a GT game. The vehicles should be GT cars. SUVs and pickups are not GT at all, no matter how fast they are, or how well they handle. :) If you want to dilute this game with all those other non GT vehicles, they might as well make half a dozen different non-GT games to suit your tastes. ;) I just don't want to see this turn inot some kind of comprehensive all vehicle test drive simulator.

Hmm...

Now, that is a good arguement. My only question with that is, GranTurismo is s'posed to be *only* GT Class cars, how many is that? (sorry, I honestly don't follow the racing that closely).

I think we may be looking at GranTurismo from 2 different perspectives. I like driving the "everyman's car" and throwing parts and money at it 'till I'm beating cars above my class. I think limiting it to only the GT Class (whatever that may be - I guess I should read up on this so I have a clue what I'm talking about).

I dunno - when I used to watch some of the GT Races on Speedvision (before it became Nascar TV), you'd see different classes of cars, all running at the same time - everything from a Civic to a Panzos (too lazy to look up the right spelling).

(FYI - they may not be GT Races - if I'm wrong - I apologize and please feel free to correct me).

Originally posted by MazKid
Beamer-it's GTC Africa, which stands for Global Touring Challenge Africa, and is not made by the GT people. And by the looks of the preview it's not going to be a good game...

oops..i thought it standed for gran turismo concept africa

well the game has GT style cars, like firebirds and stuff, but the graphics don't compare at all to GT3, and your raceing on dirt...

I think they did a good damn job and the rally was fun but I am self love to trick out all the plan jane cars that everyday people drive Put it to the point make a two Disc game and throw as many cars as you can on there and the game would last forever.

Hmm...

Now, that is a good arguement. My only question with that is, GranTurismo is s'posed to be *only* GT Class cars, how many is that? (sorry, I honestly don't follow the racing that closely).
Here's a rough description of the different racing classes from our friends at the SCCA:

http://www.scca.org/amateur/club_racing/classes/index.html

I think we may be looking at GranTurismo from 2 different perspectives. I like driving the "everyman's car" and throwing parts and money at it 'till I'm beating cars above my class. I think limiting it to only the GT Class (whatever that may be - I guess I should read up on this so I have a clue what I'm talking about).
If they were to make the game in modules or expansion sets, we could all get what we want, and they could broaden the marketability. Yes, even the roundy-round NASCAR fans could have their own, and we wouldn't all have to suffer with the limitations placed upon the game platform to accomodate them. ;)

The variations are pretty endless. Motocross, rally, drag racing, RC buggies and touring cars, F1, Can Am, Trans Am, NASCAR, Vintage, KART, go-karts, ATVs, Dakar Rally, LeMans, etc., etc.

I like building cheap cars to beat the expensive exotics too. That's part of the reason I like the rotaries, and the 1st gen RX-7 in particular. I just like to start with something that is already a sports car. :)

I dunno - when I used to watch some of the GT Races on Speedvision (before it became Nascar TV), you'd see different classes of cars, all running at the same time - everything from a Civic to a Panzos (too lazy to look up the right spelling).

(FYI - they may not be GT Races - if I'm wrong - I apologize and please feel free to correct me).
A lot of the time they do run multiple classes of GT at the same time on the same track. Cars are ranked for placing within their own class. :)

White_GSL_SE,

It's too early and my brain isn't working well enough to decide whether there is anything else to argue about.

hehehe - I think we both want the same thing, keeping GT as a pure road racing game - I agree with opening up the field somewhat with the cars that can run and you feel they should be more limited. <shrug> I understand both views (even though I know I'm right) :D

It's been so long, I can't recall whether I mentioned it in my original post. I would love to see them "modular-ize" it (I think I made that word up). Add in a drag racing module, a rally module etc.. etc...

So, in short, I'm going to go check out the links you sent (thanks btw) and see if any of the stuff I said actually makes sense, based on what I read. hehehe

Originally posted by NDSTYLE2002
I think they did a good damn job and the rally was fun but I am self love to trick out all the plan jane cars that everyday people drive Put it to the point make a two Disc game and throw as many cars as you can on there and the game would last forever.

You mean 2 DVDs ? Damn that's one hell of a thing to fill ... what about 2 double sided DVDs? :eek: :rolleyes: ... If they could do it , i will end up jobless and hungry , but never without GT4 and PS2.. :P

Back