GT4 = Swiss Army Knife?

• Thread starter ethanol
  • 58 comments
I don't know how many of you are following this thread, but it's beginning to really make me feel sick to my stomach. If there are any Poliphany employees monitoring this board looking for things to dazzle and delight the audience for GT4, I hope they stay a long way away from this thread. :teleport:

http://forums.gtplanet.net/showthread.php?threadid=250&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

It started off faily well, and there were still some fairly good ideas sprinkled througout (especially my own ;) ). But round about the end of the 15th page, I just started feeling a bit queezy... :reallyodd

:hypnotize :hypnotize :hypnotize :hypnotize :hypnotize :hypnotize :hypnotize :hypnotize :hypnotize :hypnotize :hypnotize
Repeat after me: YOU DO NOT WANT SUVs and PICKUP TRUCK IN A "GT" GAME. :D

Next thing you know, GT4 will have tractor pulls and the piston popping, car crushing, traction action of BIG FOOT and GRAVEDIGGER. :odd:

Put trucks and stuff in GT...it'd be fun to mess with. And GT is just a name, if they just went with GT cars then a lot of people wouldn't want it, and I would be 1 of those people. I think that it's a lot more fun driving cars that you see on the roads, or cars that you own. Kinda like a test drive exept you don't have to worry about gas, tires, or damage, or a pesky sales man. :)

And a double sided DVD? they's have to put what side is what on it...how bout 2 double sided DVDs?like 1 for each main area, like 1 for japanese cars, 1 US cars, 1 UK cars, and 1 all others. But still have all of the races on each disc...

I don't know anymore, I think that they should make 2 discs, 1 for sim and 1 for arcade like GT2, then more could be put on the sim disc...

Originally posted by MazKid
Put trucks and stuff in GT...it'd be fun to mess with.
So would a all 4x4 expansion pack, but then it would be customizable, and everyone wouldn't have to have the same thing. We wouldn't have to wade through trucks and the like to do GT Racing. :)

And GT is just a name,
That means Gran Turismo. ;) Words have meanings...

if they just went with GT cars then a lot of people wouldn't want it, and I would be 1 of those people. I think that it's a lot more fun driving cars that you see on the roads, or cars that you own.
All GT cars are street cars in varying levels of modification. The difference is that they are cars that were generally made to be driven in the style of driving compatible with the tracks on the game. The links are above.

Kinda like a test drive exept you don't have to worry about gas, tires, or damage, or a pesky sales man. :)
There is already a game called Test Drive. :D And that is exactly what I don't want to see happen to this game series. I'd rather see them compartmentalize the varying styles of cars and racing, and leave it up to the consumer which styles they like. :) A game called Gran Turismo should be all about Gran Turismo, not SUVs and pickups, just so people without a license can test drive street cars. ;)

If GT turns into a $100 3 or 4 disc game with a $150 steering wheel (if you don't want to play with your friends) on a $500 console (I bought PS2 JUST for GT3), and they leave off sports cars to include SUVs and pickups, I will not buy it, plain and simple. :(

Naw really? GT means Gran Turismo? I NEVER KNEW THAT! Don't make me out to be a stupid person...

Yea expansion pack idea is great.

And if you want only GT cars, buy LeMans, Sportscar GT, and others. GT for me is a gathering of normal cars, mixed with the top GT cars, and without the normal cars I wouldn't be here.

And I went to Best Buy earlyer tonight, they had GT2 arcade mode on display(shoulda had the Sim mode, it's so much better)and I have to say, I was saddened at the grafics, it was a terrible thing. They had it running not even on the RCA plugs(I can tell), and it was so bad. Now I had it running on S-Video in my room, and it was pretty good. I was also saddened by the turbo sound. GT3 has the normal hiss sound(when my brother's MX-6 GT(turbo) had turbo problems, it sounded like in GT3, same loud hiss)but GT2 has this vacuum sucking annoying sound. But I was happy to beat a Corvette with an RX-7 RS, so that made up for it...

Originally posted by MazKid
Naw really? GT means Gran Turismo? I NEVER KNEW THAT! Don't make me out to be a stupid person...
Words have meanings. If the game was intended to be a "normal car" test drive simulator, it wouldn't be called Gran Turismo. It's that simple. Take a pill. :rolleyes:

And if you want only GT cars, buy LeMans, Sportscar GT, and others. GT for me is a gathering of normal cars, mixed with the top GT cars, and without the normal cars I wouldn't be here.
Key words "for me". For the rest of the GT loving world it means GT. If I want to drive GT cars, I would sensibly look for a game called GT. If you want to drive "normal" cars, look for a "normal car" game.

It's common sense really. It has nothing to do with stupidity. :)

So what "normal" cars are in the game that keep you here that are not listed on the page I referenced above. Did you look at it?

Which page? You have 3 listed, I went to all of them and found nothing exept the forum page one. But I'm talking about all of the daily driver cars.

And take a pill? I'm not a drugy, I don't know if you are or not but I don't do that stuff.
For the rest of the world? I know a lot of people that like haveing the normal cars in a game, and GT is the best. I mean you could get TXR0, but GT has better graphics, driving, and is easier to play if your really technical.

I'm not going to argue this with you over and over kid. You are arguing over opinion, and I am arguing over the coherity of our language as it applies to naming a video game, and later changing the concept of the game. A language argument can have a resolution. An opinion argument is unlikely to have one. I made my points. If you don't like them, too bad. If you don't understand, re-read the thread. I posted a link to a SCCA complete list of GT class cars in the US. I'll put it here again so you don't get too confused. ;)

http://toyota.shults.com/cgi-bin/scca/scca.cgi
Check the "Show All" box and hit "Search". It works for me. Anyone else having problems seeing it? Was there confusion as to what list (that was clearly labeled in my post) I was speaking of? Do we understand what the list means because they are using the same English that we are? Is it called the "only for SCCA list of car classes? Does the rest of the world consider GT to be approximately the same thing?

Get a grip and put your ego away. If we use words to mean anything then language breaks down. Language works because people understand the meanings of the words you use. If the word "brown" suddenly meant "cantaloupe" AND "brown", how would we know what you meant when you said "brown" with no context clues (as in a video game title)? So if you want "Gran Turismo" to mean "normal car test drive for non-drivers license possessing people" perhaps we'd all be better off if you contacted Polyphony about producing one, and leave the English language alone so the rest of us know what it means. :rolleyes:

If you want to discuss what vehicles are not on the GT class listings that you would still like to see in the game, fine. :) If you want to argue that your opinion of what other people think is more important than the thought process of the human mind (which is controlled by language) I am done with this thread. You want to pick a fight over who's opinion is better, find someone else.

And next time you wish to argue, read the thread and get the facts straight. ;) If you want to start insulting me and putting words in my mouth (like taking you for stupid, which I don't, I take you for young and inexperienced) be prepared to get the real deal.

I think I've now been amply clear.

I read somewhere that we'll be able to download aditional cars from the net (i dunno how to even connect my PS2 to the net...) so it will be the best , pepole will get their suvs pickupus or whatever and i'll get all the RUFs , old lotus esprits , Bmws and 500 versions of nissan skyline , other pepole would get the other race cars etc and everybody will be happy...

para22 - That's the rumor that is going around. Supposedly, you can "buy" new cars online after taking them for a test drive.

You currently cannot connect your PS2 to the 'net. Sony has released a Broadband adapter/Hard Drive combo in Japan (from what I gather) but it hasn't made its way here.

I would have to agree with the original poster. GT was originally titled as the REAL DRIVING SIMULATOR. Rally racing and drag racing are nice...but it would detract from what I believe was the intended core focus of the game. Unfortunately though, since the new focus of the developers is ON-LINE play... I hope they stay true to enhancing play mechanics, and AI. The graphics engine is solid, sound is not an issue. Lets wait and see.

Originally posted by Skunkwerx
Unfortunately though, since the new focus of the developers is ON-LINE play... I hope they stay true to enhancing play mechanics, and AI. .

If I were a bettin' man, (I'm not, just a cynical man), I would place a wager on them taking the easy way out. I don't see the AI improving a bit - If you want good opponents, you will have to hop online to do so.

In all honesty, I'm really not that good at the game, so, the AI is just perfect for me. However, I can see from the opinion of those people with talent, the AI isn't that tough. (I just suck worse than they do - lol)

So, with the online component, I would fit in nicely with the "hamfisted, no braking" group of racers and those of you with skill can be off racing in another area.

I've got more thoughts along this line, but I'm going to post it seperately so it doesn't get lost in my ramblings.

Now, here's a thought - PD could do some fancy stuff to help ensure that people are only racing within their skill level. Please keep in mind it's early here and the coffee hasnt finished brewing, so it may not be really clear.

Based on some of the stats in GT3, you can take a pretty good guesstimation about someone's skill level. There is the win/loss ratio and the completion percentage. Now, just using these 2 stats, obviously wouldn't be the end-all and be-all judge, since a couple of things can skew the win/loss ratio:

Problems

1) The number can be elevated by people who have won an F1 car and use that to race *every* race possible (F1 car is just an example, it could be an Escudo)

2) The number can be greatly decreased by people who decide they've gotta have Car X in blue with pink polka dots so they keep running a series until they win that car.

3) I had a third point, but I can't recall what it is.

Solutions

1) Bring back the horsepower limits on races. That was a quick and dirty fix in GT2 that helped force people to use a car better suited to the race.

2) (Someone else suggested this, but I can't remember who so I can't give credit) Once Car X has been won, it should then be unlocked in the Car Dealer section. Thus, allowing you to go buy it in whatever color you would like.

3) I still can't remember my 3rd point, so I've got no solution to that.

Now, you take someone like me for example. Keep in mind I'm completely making up my stats here, just for the sake of arguement.

I'd guess that I'm around 30% completed and have a win/loss percentage of 'bout 60%. Now, I would only be able to compete in races where my numbers are similar to other people who sort of suck at the game.

Now, someone with a completion percentage of 100% and a win/loss record of 98% is obviously much more skilled (and has more free time than me) and should therefore be limited to races where he/she can compete against those with similar numbers.

I s'pose there could also be "open" races, where almost anything goes (no hybrids) but, without these limitations.

<shrug>

Any theories?

Hey ethanol, I agree with you 100% on all of that, except the 3rd point. :D And it might have been me with the unlocking the prize cars thing. I can't remember if I got that in a vision, or if I heard it from someone else here and took it as my own idea. But it is a really cool idea wherever it came from. :)

I wish they would make a GT truck game... or goin with White_GSL_GE an expantion for the main game. I'd love to be able to race a truck like mine ((1968 Ford F100)) on some of them tracks.

And what ethanol said about being able to drive the cars we drive every day is true. Well it's not my car, but my parent's 1994 Mazda MPV ((Demio in the game)), but the only thing is, ours is FR and the ones on the game are FF.

Originally posted by para22
I read somewhere that we'll be able to download aditional cars from the net (i dunno how to even connect my PS2 to the net...) so it will be the best , pepole will get their suvs pickupus or whatever and i'll get all the RUFs , old lotus esprits , Bmws and 500 versions of nissan skyline , other pepole would get the other race cars etc and everybody will be happy...

That would be cool. I have GOT to get a PS2!

Yes - no more rallying. The rallying in the GT series was always kinda weak and had the feel of being tacked on, GT4 would be better off without it. Use that space for a few more cars and tracks.

For Rallying (incl. WRC): Gran Turismo Dirt-Spec
For Trucks & SUV: Gran Turismo Cross Country
For Motorcycles: 2 Wheel Impact By:Gran turismo
For Track racing (no streetcars): Gran Turismo Professional
For the Manufaturers: Gran Turismo Presents: (ex. GT Presents: Toyota)
For NASCAR fans: Gran Turismo: NASCAR Agression

For the real thing: Racing Perfection: Gran Turismo VOL. V (GT5)

I'm sorry if some of my suggestions are kinda Korny.:)

Is it just me, or do GT2 and GT3 FEEL different when you play them? I like the feeling of the old GT2, so many cars to pick. I think GT4 should return to these roots. No motorcycles, trucks, SUVs, NASCARs, monster trucks, crapload of Japanese tuners, overdone sponsorship stickers, etc. They should bring back 500 cars, racing modification, etc. And more real-life tracks. If they can mimick Monaco so perfecty(Cote D' Azure), why can't they do the same to my beloved la Sarthe? More Le Mans cars! And I think everyone should remember that the game in emtitled GRAN TURISMO...

yeah i think PD should make a separate rally racing game and use the extra space to bring back used cars. that way i could go back to my usual method of buying an old Supra and tunning it to kick some ass. and no truck racing, jeez, the only truck i really think that deserves PD attention is the Cyclone. pardon the spelling if its wrong

As far as cars, GT cars like the Nissan 510, The Alfa 1600, and more GT tracks, like Nurburgring, and Isle of Man, and Sebring.

Ethanol, an idea for racing on equal footing would be to categorize by running a qualification lap and putting folks with similar times together. Or do like the old IROC series and use identically prepared cars. (I still wouldn't want to race Schumacher or Big Torque)

Ethanol, an idea for racing on equal footing would be to categorize by running a qualification lap and putting folks with similar times together. Or do like the old IROC series and use identically prepared cars. (I still wouldn't want to race Schumacher or Big Torque)

Not a bad plan...

<shrug> I'm torn though - at first, when playing GT2, I found even the horsepower limitations frustrating, because I just don't have the time to sit and get all that decent at the game... by now (since playing since GT1) I've improved alot, but, if you start putting too many limitations on the game, then PD will end up alienating alot of the fans.

Truth be told, there are a ton of purists here, just look at all the people that turn of ASM and TSC, but for every one of the "purists" that exist, there are a hundred people like me that want to just sit down for half an hour, turn a few laps and beat the competition.

So, while it is the Real Driving Simulator (or whatever the tag line is), in the end, it's still just a game and if they go about handicapping the gamer too much, they'll end up shooting themselves in the foot.

I don't know what the magic answer is. One of my main roles in my job is to play devil's advocate and point out problems... (they actually pay me to be negative... lol - suckers!)

Originally posted by ethanol

Not a bad plan...

<shrug> I'm torn though - at first, when playing GT2, I found even the horsepower limitations frustrating, because I just don't have the time to sit and get all that decent at the game... by now (since playing since GT1) I've improved alot, but, if you start putting too many limitations on the game, then PD will end up alienating alot of the fans.

Truth be told, there are a ton of purists here, just look at all the people that turn of ASM and TSC, but for every one of the "purists" that exist, there are a hundred people like me that want to just sit down for half an hour, turn a few laps and beat the competition.

So, while it is the Real Driving Simulator (or whatever the tag line is), in the end, it's still just a game and if they go about handicapping the gamer too much, they'll end up shooting themselves in the foot.

I don't know what the magic answer is. One of my main roles in my job is to play devil's advocate and point out problems... (they actually pay me to be negative... lol - suckers!)

if online racing is going to be a reality, i'm sure they'll break up the online racing like do in the simulation; beginers, amatuers, and professional. and if one is really a beginer, like me, and enters a professional race online, i'm certain one will be outclassed during the race to learn their place and go to the other modes of play to improve their skill. i think thats all we really need. that way if one becomes frustrated by losing time and again, it'll inspire them to become a better driver.

online racing will be the greatest thing in the world to me, to be able to go out in a car i tuned and test my skill against the likes of you guys. it can only make me a better driver. i, for one, just hope there is online racing period. although, i'll probably fail out of college because of it :rolleyes: .

Back