GT4 wont load with old PS2s? Possible common problem?

• Thread starter Larson0
  • 330 comments
Yeah problems with flickering. It's really bad on 2-player, Dirt/SNow tracks. I thought it was the PSTwo (70012 model) but regular DVD's work fine. GT4 is the only PS2 game I have. I went to the settings screen switched from component video (YBR...) to RGB. I also change form 4:3 to Full screen size. Still the same issues. I hope it's the disc and not the console. I just bought it 2-days ago. My PSTwo is connected through a composite connection (Yellow for Video, White and Red for Audio) 20" RCA TV. I don't have a component TV. Even then this flickering issue shouldn't be a problem. My old Xbox and my current GameCube have no issues with flickering. I even had the older 3K series, as well as the earlier released PSTwo (7K series) with GT3, and other PS2 games. No issues with them on my TV.

Or it might be SOny's way of telling us to buy their HDTV's...hahaha...hhhmmmm.

How to tell GT4 lot disc numbers? There are several #'s by looking at the bottom of the disc.

So y'all know. As of April 1st, unless your playstation 2 is still in warranty and the warranty sticker has not been voided by splitting it or whatever... you are not eligible for free repair. It is true that people could get it repaired for free before april 1st, even if it was out of warranty and had been opened. Not anymore though. They do offer a deal for a factory refurbished PS2 for 45 dollars and free return shipping if you send in your busted ass ps2 though. Which i might wind up doing unless someone can give me a reason not to.

Hi guys.

I had not been able to read the entire thread so I really don't know what the problems of some of you have with your PS2. I any of you have this problem I might be able to help.

Does your PS2 makes loud noises coming from the tray wile reading/loading?

If so I think I have the answer or a fix.

I once had problems with my PS2, the first few days I played GT4 and then he died on me. Problems started before GT4, but after GT4 it got worst. I managed to resurect my baby, its old! 30001 first generation, and moded.

With the advice of a friend I dared to open the thing. I first have to warn that if you do this you do it at your own risk I will not be held responsible for any damage to your PS2. Opening your PS2 voids your warranty. I'm sure many of you know that, just wanted to get that out of the way.

1) Make sure your PS2 is not unpluged.
2) Take out all memory cards, controllers, power cords, etc,etc.
3) Take out all 8 screw caps, (if yours have less, you have a different version and
I have no idea how is done on your version).
4) Unscrew all 8 screws and keep them in the same order you took them out.
5) Slowly lift the top from the back like the hood of your car, be careful there is a
wire attached to the top and you should not take this wire out. Don't move
the top away from the rest of the PS2, put it as close to it as possible.
6) Over the tray there is a pice of plastic with a circle in the middle, take that out
removing 4 screw arround the corners of the plastic pice.
7) You should now be able to look directly to your Game disc and the laser and
tray mechanism below the disc. (Never touch the lens).
8) By no means power up the PS2 with a game disc without the pice of plastic you
just removed. Your disc may get scrached or become a frisbee.
9) Remove the Disc and the tray by unscrewing two tiny screws at 7 o clock
formation outside of the circle where the disc sits if you are facing the
controller ports.
10) Never push the eject button after you have removed the tray, you might
desinchronize the mechanism to open or close the tray.
11)Know you should be seeing all the laser and lens mechanism.

I will continue in another post, this is getting a little big.

12) There is a little motor that drives a screw, a white pice of plastic runs thru the
the nutches on the screw. There my friends might be your problem. That
pice of plastic is what moves the lens as the screw turns. With time the
plastic wears out and when the screw rotates the lens skips or dosn't move
as it should. That is what makes the loud sounds when the PS2 is loading.
If you put a little pressure on top of the plastic as a weight or something the
lens should move as is supoused to do. Be careful not to put something that
interfeers with other moving parts. What I did was to press the white pice of
plastic against the screw with my finger and moved it up and down without
leting it skip the screw threads. This made the screw turn the motor and
carved the worn nutches back into the white pice of plastic. I didn't put a
weight as I suggested but is what I would like to do in the future. Once you
are able to move the lens up and down the threads of the screw withou the
white pice of plastic skipping the thread. Put back the tray without screws
and the cover with the circle in the midle. (All of this without screws).
13) Dont put the cover on top yet, plug all the cords and test until the problem is
solved. It took me about 15 times to get it to work flawless.
14) Once you get it to load right and working, remove all the cords and screw
everything back, be very careful not to damage the wire attached to the
cover of the PS2 when putting the top back and the screws.

Hope this helps.
I have changed games and some work fine and others messed the PS2 back, forceing me to do this all over again, I currently play only GT4, why would I play anything ealse :D. But it's a thing of newer games that tend to stress the lens, like San Andreas I think.

I had that problem. I took a small technicians screwdriver and opened up the PS2. Then I took and even smaller screwdriver and opened up the cover where the disk spins. Under there is a small disk reading eyes. Take a Q-tip with rubbing alchohol and clean it good. I did that and the PS2 worked perfect everytime....I was to lazy to put the cover back and my cat ripped off and hid the reset/eject buttons...I bought the new tiny PS2. It's been on about 100 hrs straight doing all the endurance races.
Dan

usadan
I ... opened up the PS2. ... I was to lazy to put the cover back and my cat ripped off and hid the reset/eject buttons...I bought the new tiny PS2. ... Dan

:crazy: 👎:dunce: 👎:dunce: 👎:dunce:

I don't think I would take this particular piece of advice. :cheers:

I have the Old Fatboy 1st gen PS2 and have had sim. problems.First day I got the game (GT4)it was not reading the disc.
Just get a dvd cleaner disc and it will work like a champ.
Why fix it if it aint broke.
Just clean it!!!!!!!!!It is old and needs attention. 👍

I totally agree.....just open it and clean......I bought a second hand PS2 for £20 because the guy thought he was getting a great deal for a "broken" playstation......if only he had opened it and given it a clean.....now its works GT4 fine...loads first time always!

I just got mine back from comets because it had a 3 year guarentee and they sent it to sony to get repaired.
When i got it back they changed the console no. it is now SCPH-39003 and before it was SCPH-300??. the ps2 sounds quieter now and feels like it runs more smoothly it also sounds like the fan is spinning faster for some reason.

My PS 2 (First gen NTSC/J SCPH-10000) just died recently. no is not GT 4 related. Before, it will load every time with GT 4. Now, it wouldn't even boot just freeze at start up (no disk in it). My unit has never been modded, original games only & is clean. I guess I will have to get the NA versions now and restart the whole thing & wait for the PS 3. Stat is all gold & 67 % complete.

I have an old type PS2 quite bashed up now with the cant read GT4 disk problem and after reading through various forums (thanks all for advise)I opened her up and cleaned all dust out, cleaned laser etc. Suddenly all my games worked - except GT4. The disk has been replaced twice. Got on to Sony UK who offered me refurb. PS2 for 50 GBP as mine must be faulty- no way! I already paid 30 for the game and how come if its faulty all the rest (about 20 or so) games work? Ive had the game now for about 1 month now and tried every sensible suggestion to cure this fault.
Finally last night in desperation it occured to me that if the game disk is not spinning fast enough - for whatever reason, the older PS2 may "time out" before all the game data loads. Remembering an old PS1 trick I sprayed a little wax furniture polish onto the disk and cleaned it carefully off.(something I would not normally do) It now loads up first go every time! I think the plastic laser cover was just skimming the game disk and causing enough drag to prevent successful loading. Of course there could be many other reasons why the disk is not spinning fast enough - mechanism worn/spindle bent etc. If anyone with this problem sees any unexplained marks on their disks its a sure sign. You can usually hear if the disk is spinning correctly, if not I would suggest you may have the same problem. The polish is only a temp "fix" not a cure and I am sure someone will say "dont do it" but hey desperate times sometimes call for desperate measures and anyway, at long last I am now driving!....look does anyone how to beat........Brock

Larson0
I picked up a copy of GT4 today and when i stuck it in my playstation it just sits at the browser/system configuration screen. i took it back and exchanged it and sure enough it happened again.

Model No. is SCPH-39001/N

anyone else having this problem / know how to fix it? i shouldnt have to spend money to fix this because they didnt do it right.

*EDIT* I fixed my problem. i had to follow this link http://www.classicplastic.net/dvgi/eventsfeaturesIMPORTPS2cleaning.htm

and clean my lense. works fine now 👍

Mine recently started giving me an occasional disc read error when I would start up but after using some compressed air to blow inside some dust came out and I haven't had a problem since.

If it starts again I will probably try and open the case to manually clean the lens.

I had the same problem with my 4+ year old PS2. Even after I opened my PS2 up, and cleaned it out using a power air compresser. Then, a cotton swab dampened with rubbing alchol on the laser. The problem still persisted, I thought I would need a new playstation. So I pulled a Fonz, alls it took was a solid punch directly to the P on the disk drive, and it fires right up all the time everytime. :boggled:

Aaaeeee 👍 👍

I live in Japan and have a Japanese PS2, playing the Japanese version of the game. I got my PS2 the day it came out here... so it's pretty much the oldest one there is.

I think I've pretty much figured this out... at least to my own satisfaction, for now.

My GT4 used to work... then it had problems and I had to keep resetting my PS2 to get it to work. Last month it stopped working... recently I've thought about buying a car(skyline gt-r32) and felt the urge to try the car out in the game... just for kicks.(don't have driver's liscence yet... gotta be 18) So here I am trying to get this game to work again. ...and new DVDs don't work either.

I repaired the disk and it still didn't work... worked on the PS2 they had at the store though. This cool guy at the store offered to change my game with a new one they had... and I paid nothing, didn't even have the receipt. Good guy but I wouldn't hire him.

Ok so let me try to lay this out.

Worked on the store's PS2 but not mine.

Fact 1: It's not only the game.

GT4 doesn't work on my PS2 but pretty much every other game does...

Fact 2: There's something specifically about GT4 that's different.

Seems that this problem, for the most part, only occurs in older playstations. The guy at the store told me that they've experienced this problem many, many times and that it's always older playstations.

Fact 3: Something about older playstations contributes to this problem but they don't have the problem to start... it develops.

Conclusion: Most likely old lasers have problems with dual layered discs... or something else in there is wearing out.

I've tried cleaning it though... didn't work. Might take more drastics measures like sending it in.

To all you people buying new PS2s... you're way too rich or something's wrong with you, no offense.

Oh and if you got a new PS2 and it still doesn't work... then you obviously don't have the same problem everyone is having. It's your game or something.

it wont work on my SCPH-70002 PAL properly sometimes the ps2 freezes or goes through the browser slow and says reading disc the whole time and nothing happens, sometimes it comes up with a screen that says please insert a play station or play station 2 format disc or other times it says the disc could not be read or occasionly sometimes after hours it works. Once it gets past the main ps2 sydstem part it works fine. All other games work fine and that one works fine in my friends ps2 i dont know what version he has but it makes no sense and its such a pain in the backside: 👎 :crazy: :nervous: :guilty: :grumpy: :dunce: :mad: :confused: :irked: :boggled: :bowdown: :banghead: :mischievous: :odd: :eek: :rolleyes: :yuck: :indiff: :ouch: :drool:

mines exactly the same as that.....except it has never worked.

i have a scph-39002.....i cant remeber the chip it has in it though.....but every other game that i have works absoltely fine, never had a DRE.....but ive noticed and dual layer movie/game that i hire out or something, doesnt work.....so its definetivly the laser not being able to read the dual layer DVD

mine never works when the ps2s hot it occasionally works when its cold [after a lot of frustration and persistance]:mad: :banghead: :ouch:

this makes no sense it works fine in my friends:confused:

this sucks:( :grumpy: :mad: :banghead: :ouch:

maybe we'll just have to wait and hope the ps3 plays it right

lthiele

Thiele, its a good idea to not double post on a thread, specially if your comments are not as helpful and interesting as this one ^^^^

(use the Edit button on the right bottom corner of your post if you wanna add something)

Just tips.

Ciao....

i think i found my problem my gt4 has a chip in it i don't know when or how it happened hopefully it'll still work

I have a problem where when I startmy ps2,I get these disk read errors. I don't know if this will help but what I do is put the ps2 vertically and put something under the front to tilt it. Then I listen to it. Sometimes, it sounds like it's reading and then *click* and it stops. There is a pattern to it so right before it happens,I hit the top of the ps2. :D I still get disk read error but after about 10 times of takin the disk out and puttin it in, it works. Now that it is workin, I never shut off my ps2. Been runnin for 2 months now. No heatin problems. :D

:sniff::sniff: it doesn't work at all

good :sniff: goodbye gt4, best :sniff: best game in :sniff: in the world :sniff::sniff:

ooh

I've had 2 PS2's, both the older models. First one broke after the disc tray wouldn't open :doh:.

Now I've had my second one for about 2 or 3 years. Never had any problems unless it was a little dusty on the disc.

Sam

Back