GT4 wont load with old PS2s? Possible common problem?

• Thread starter Larson0
  • 330 comments
lthiele
:sniff::sniff: it doesn't work at all

good :sniff: goodbye gt4, best :sniff: best game in :sniff: in the world :sniff::sniff:

ooh

Dude, it's ok. Go grab a Greatest Hits edition, only $20 US.

Sam

lthiele
i think it's $19.99 here in Australia, we'll have to look next time mum takes me shopping

Yeah, it's $19.99 here too, but seriously, who carries that EXACT amount around? Just fork over a Jackson, all set :cool:

:lol:i got annoyed with the gt4 disc so i flew it across the room and it flew like a frizby and smashed in half when it hit the wall:lol:

it was broken anyway

time to bring this thread back to life my mum just found my ps2 and i put in gt4 to see it does not work my model number is scph 77003 any ideas or shud i just get rid of it?

I think we need more info than that. In what way does it not work? Do other games work on it? Does the GT4 disk work on other PS2 consoles?

PF
I think we need more info than that. In what way does it not work? Do other games work on it? Does the GT4 disk work on other PS2 consoles?
oo sorry other games do, it comes up with disc can not be read

ok should i just get rid of my ps2 ? i need answers within an hour pllease

Last edited by a moderator:
^Sorry for not seeing that sooner, but you have a disk read error. This happens when the laser is not aligned properly. Usually it only affects certain games, although sometimes it won't work at all. There's videos on youtube that show you how to fix it. Or...

LancerEvo7GSR's Handy DRE Fix for Slimline PS2s

I found this when I was messing around trying to get GT4 to work. It stops DREs for me but I can't guarantee it for anyone else.

Step 1: Turn on the PS2
Step 2: Open the disk tray.
Step 3: There is a silver thing with what looks like a light on it. Jab this a few times with your finger.
Step 4: Try the game that doesn't work. Hopefully it'll work now, it did for me.

Like I said I can't guarantee it'll work, but at least your PS2 won't need surgery.

^Sorry for not seeing that sooner, but you have a disk read error. This happens when the laser is not aligned properly. Usually it only affects certain games, although sometimes it won't work at all. There's videos on youtube that show you how to fix it. Or...

LancerEvo7GSR's Handy DRE Fix for Slimline PS2s

I found this when I was messing around trying to get GT4 to work. It stops DREs for me but I can't guarantee it for anyone else.

Step 1: Turn on the PS2
Step 2: Open the disk tray.
Step 3: There is a silver thing with what looks like a light on it. Jab this a few times with your finger.
Step 4: Try the game that doesn't work. Hopefully it'll work now, it did for me.
Like I said I can't guarantee it'll work, but at least your PS2 won't need surgery.
thanks i try this now

can anyone post a link i do not want to take it apart though

ok gt3 works but gt4 dont starting to really p me off

hey smallhorses sorry for double posting again but do u know what i need to do

Last edited by a moderator:
lpb-nissan-gt-r, if you wish to continue posting on our forums you need to learn some rules.
Firstly please don't keep double posting here. You need to use the EDIT button to add information to your previous post if it is still the last active post in the thread. I've just merged 2 sets of double posts from you, went off to find the information below and came back to find that you've managed to double post again in the 2 minutes I was gone. 👎
Secondly, you're expected to use proper English with grammar and capitalisation here at GTP. Each sentence you start should have a capital letter, as should GT, "I" when referring to yourself, words like "don't" and "won't" should have apostrophes and no "txt speek" such as "u" is permissable. There's no excuse for laziness. ;)

Anyway, I posted this in another thread, but the same advice goes here too:

If you have an old style "Fatty" PS2, then the link in the second post of this thread is extremely useful. Follow it to the letter. I did it when my PS2 started giving disk read errors and it's worked perfectly since I cleaned it out and realigned it.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=96967&highlight=Disk+Read+Error

The red circle appears when the PS2 fails to read the GT4 disc during gameplay. Otherwise, if it's having issues at startup it'll never get past the browser screen and will display the Disk Read Error message there.

I'd advise giving your PS2 a good overhaul and cleaning. 👍
Run a CD lens cleaner disk if you have one.

DO NOT just poke the lens tray as LancerEvo7GSR suggests, :rolleyes: this is not the proper way to adjust lens height, and will only work by temporarily bending some of the fittings into the right place, but with no recoverable means of bending them back, not to mention the possible damage to the laser lens that this may cause! :scared:

Ok but to be honest having capital letters at the start of every sentence is pretty grammer snob. Thank you for doing some research for me though.

Ok but to be honest having capital letters at the start of every sentence is pretty grammer snob.

That's by no means a good thing to say.

My PS2 is a slimline, but if Smallhorses is against LancerEvo7GSR's plan, then I won't do it. And my GT4 is still responding but it's suffering from the Red Circle of Death.

That's by no means a good thing to say.

My PS2 is a slimline, but if Smallhorses is against LancerEvo7GSR's plan, then I won't do it. And my GT4 is still responding but it's suffering from the Red Circle of Death.

well i tried it and it did not work but i just read that i need to adjust the laser or something this is rather tedious

well i tried it and it did not work but i just read that i need to adjust the laser or something this is rather tedious

Clearly you think I'm joking about the lazy grammar? :dunce:

Read this from our Acceptable Use Policy:

No slang words that promote laziness, ie; “r”, “u”, “plz”, etc. will be tolerated. Decent grammar is expected, including proper usage of capital letters. Repeated violations will be grounds for suspension and/or permanent removal from the forums. All messages must be posted in English.

If you can't be bothered to follow the rules, follow the advice given to you here to try and help you, and believe that the rules just don't apply to you, then I suggest you leave before you're made to leave.
There is seriously no excuse for laziness. 👎
You have a PM waiting for you, it explains a lot. Read it and learn. 👍

If you can't be bothered to fix your PS2, why bother asking us how to do it?

Clearly you think I'm joking about the lazy grammar? :dunce:

Read this from our Acceptable Use Policy:

No slang words that promote laziness, ie; ?r?, ?u?, ?plz?, etc. will be tolerated. Decent grammar is expected, including proper usage of capital letters. Repeated violations will be grounds for suspension and/or permanent removal from the forums. All messages must be posted in English.

If you can't be bothered to follow the rules, follow the advice given to you here to try and help you, and believe that the rules just don't apply to you, then I suggest you leave before you're made to leave.
There is seriously no excuse for laziness. 👎
You have a PM waiting for you, it explains a lot. Read it and learn. 👍

If you can't be bothered to fix your PS2, why bother asking us how to do it?

Well i have reached the point where i am taking my Playstoin 2 apart (and please explain what wrong with that sentence apart from capital letter i must add i am not the best at english)

Well I tried it and it did not work, but I just read that I need to adjust the laser or something. This is rather tedious.

Well I have reached the point where I am taking my Playstation 2 apart. (And please explain what's wrong with that sentence apart from capital letters? I must add I am not the best at English)

There, fixed it for you. ;)
However, if you know that you're being lazy by not typing "I" instead of "i", why are you still doing it? :confused:
It takes an extra second to press the "Shift" key, probably even less than that. :gtplanet: is a site about a racing game, however, there's no rewards here for posting as fast as possible. :sly:

So Smallhorses, what you're saying is that my method actually makes the problem worse? I wish I would have known that, although I really did chance on it.

Ok after taking it apart, voiding my warranty, it still does not work, any other tips? i cleaned the lens and the disk ring with white spirit.

You still had it under warranty? You should've taken it up with Sony then as they'd be obliged to fix or replace it.
If it's older than 1 year your warranty had expired anyway and you've not voided anything.

Sadly I've had the old-style fatty PS2 since it was released, and apart from one good maintenance/cleaning session it's worked pretty well.
I've not had any Slimline experience and wouldn't know where to begin.
Search the GT4 forums for "Disk read error" and you'll reveal a lot of threads with various pieces of advice about fixing issues with old-style and new-style systems.
Also try searching Google for fixing disk read errors 👍

You still had it under warranty? You should've taken it up with Sony then as they'd be obliged to fix or replace it.
If it's older than 1 year your warranty had expired anyway and you've not voided anything.

Sadly I've had the old-style fatty PS2 since it was released, and apart from one good maintenance/cleaning session it's worked pretty well.
I've not had any Slimline experience and wouldn't know where to begin.
Search the GT4 forums for "Disk read error" and you'll reveal a lot of threads with various pieces of advice about fixing issues with old-style and new-style systems.
Also try searching Google for fixing disk read errors 👍

Its was a game warranty, i went down there today to get my money back but they tested it, on another game and it worked, now what should i do i have 3 weeks of money saved up, so should i buy a new ps2 or buy a dfgt??
3 weeks worth 55 pounds
there is no pound sign on the ps3 keyboard thing.

Have you adjusted the lens angle wheel?

Bear in mind that if it's an old, fat PS2 it could be almost 10 years old - so it's lasted pretty well...

I know it would not do good to revive an old post, but i had the same problem. I have an scph-30004 ps2 and it would take over 30 tries just to load the disc once.

For some odd reason, when i came back from a 2 week vacation, i loaded gt4 and the first time the game worked. it worked the first time it loaded for 7 months. now its the 2nd or 3rd time i load it it works.

guys my ps2 is an 04 slim and it wouldn't work tried different discs of the game just didn't recocnise there was a disc in the machine just went to settings asif it didn't have a game in the machine is it a software problem that can't be fixed or is a fixable thing,
the ps2 is fine and works on any other game including gt3 a spec, the gt4 disc was mint no scratches any answers

Hang on daan, I'll pull out my special 'gibberish to English' translator. :P I did this before and got it spot on so let's try again. :D

guys my ps2 is an 04 slim and it wouldn't work tried different discs of the game just didn't recocnise there was a disc in the machine just went to settings asif it didn't have a game in the machine is it a software problem that can't be fixed or is a fixable thing,
the ps2 is fine and works on any other game including gt3 a spec, the gt4 disc was mint no scratches any answers

Hey guys, my PS2 slim version is from 2004 and it wouldn't work with this GT4 disc. I tried different GT4 discs (he must have multiple copies - Mafs!!) and my PS2 just did not recognise that there was a disc in the machine. It went to settings, like it would if it didn't have a game in the machine. Is it a software problem that can't be fixed or is it an issue that can be fixed??
The PS2 is fine, and works with all my other games including GT3 A-Spec, and my GT4 disc was in mint condition with no scratches. Any answers??

I hope that's more readable to our audience. 👍

maybe you should clean it with a compressed air can.

Speaking of which, ive had no such problem with my gamecube, other then the fact that the open button gets jammed once in a while.

Back