GT4 WRS Week 49 : "Swiss swinging"

• Thread starter Tedehur
  • 182 comments

Tedehur

Staff Emeritus
France
France
Z spec
First race on dirt in 40 weeks, and not an easy one I'm afraid. I did a lot of testing for this one, much more than for other weeks, but since I just hate rallying in GT4 it was extremely difficult to find a satisfying combo. I found Grand Canyon or Cathedral Rocks too difficult because of the narrow sections and decided to use the Swiss Alps despite the fact that they are being used too by Mr. P for the ARC Warm-up #2.
The track is wide enough to forgive many mistakes so we can use a Group B rocket, and you can tune its power to your taste.
If the week is successful we'll have other dirt races in the future, on more challenging tracks.

Week 49 : Lancia Delta S4 Rally Car '85 @ Swiss Alps reverse

WRS49.jpg

Game mode :
Arcade Mode / Time Trial / Dirt tracks / Swiss Alps reverse

Car specifications :
Lancia Delta S4 Rally Car '85 :
(car is unlocked by winning the Rally d'Umbria Hard in Special Conditions Hall)
  • any power (359 to 538 hp) ;
  • any weight (801 to 979 kg) ;
  • any top speed ;
Race rules :
Standard clean OLR rules :
  • no contact with walls or objects, visible or invisible ;
  • if you're not 100% sure that you lap is clean, then consider it dirty ;
  • no hybrids ;
  • no cheating of any kind ;
  • nothing that goes against the spirit of the rules ;
  • save your replay ('save ghost' icon).
Thread rules :
You can discuss anything (T times, sector times, speeds, settings, etc) except :
  • lap time ;
  • any information which can be used to infer lap time.
Submission :
All submissions must be sent to me by PM (flat-out).
  • you can submit only once per race ;
  • please include in your submission PM your division, name and time(s) ;
  • deadline is tuesday 28th march 9pm GMT (L.A. 1pm, New-York 4pm, London 10pm, Paris 11pm, Tokyo wed. 6am, Sydney wed. 8am).
Time verification :
Save your replay and keep it at least a full week after the time has been submitted.
  • fastest times each week will be required to submit with verification ;
  • any submitted time is subject to a time verification request ;
  • when a time verification has been required, the concerned racer must provide a replay before next race deadline ;
  • failure to do so will result in the submitted time to be removed for the WRS results and/or GTPlanet Times Database ;
  • video replays are not accepted, only .max, .xps or .sps files can be verified.

-----------------------------------oOo-----------------------------------
Acceptable Use Policy | Terms of Service | Weekly Race Series

1st post :sly:

I CANNOT WAIT to give this a try...been looking forward to a rally event for ages...for now it's off to work though :(

MisterWeary
1st post :sly:

I CANNOT WAIT to give this a try...been looking forward to a rally event for ages...for now it's off to work though :(

You know Colby, there's no special price or special rep points for replying first to my posts :lol:

week 9 was my first WRS... good memories...

i loved the car choice... looking foward to it:tup:

nice combination there flatout, swiss alps is a great track, should be interesting with ths car in reverse

that 'any power' remark is quite funny, i wonder which power everyone will choose....;)

off course this is a drifters track. hope many wrs dudes will post videos of their laps next week. the alps never were a problem in running the special conditions to me, but i'm afraid clean lapping is a whole new challenge ...
oh well, tarmac probably is my favorite surface so i'll do what must be done and wait for a wrs in some of the big race tracks.
good luck to all of you in drifting around cyril's playground.

Dirt ? :nervous: :scared:
I have a hard enough time keeping it on tarmac ! :)
Been dreading this :ill:
Oh well, time to suck it up 👍 and just post a clean lap this week :cheers:

This wouldn't be so bad if I could actually drift the car. And I love Rallye. Like oldphart said, "Time to suck it up and just post a clean lap."

Good luck to all, but I think I'll be sitting this one out.

I look forward to seeing the times though - are those Div1 guys just as fast in the gravel?...

Can I suggest having weight be adjustable too? Putting some more weight on can help the car to be more stable for those of us who are "dirt challenged" :D. It actually does a better job than lowering the power in some cases.

I'm in! I'd rather be on pavement, but I'll face my fears on dirt... :nervous:

Clean splits!!!
T1: 28.021
T2: 50.919
T3: 1'11.928

Wow, Cyril, you really picked a tough one... Sure the track itself is nice and wide with lots of run-off, but the CAR is a MONSTER! There are nicer(read tamer) rally cars out there... Lol, it's a beast! I've been running it in stock HP form. This car sure is ugly too, :sly: .

KLR142
Clean splits!!!
T1: 28.021
T2: 50.919
T3: 1'11.928

I was afraid to post my splits this early in the week, and now Kyle has confirmed that fear! Dude, you're already WAY faster than I. :scared: I am going to need a lot of seat time...

jake73
I was afraid to post my splits this early in the week, and now Kyle has confirmed that fear! Dude, you're already WAY faster than I. :scared: I am going to need a lot of seat time...
Don't be afraid! I wonder how long those splits'll last though. Those were my first clean ones I think, but by the time I managed to stay clean for a whole lap, I kinda started to catch on with how I should be driving. Just stick with it man, you might not think you're anywhere close, but you might just have a lap that'll suprise you.

I don't think I'll be catching those splits anytime soon though... I can see myself catching up by the finish line, but not necessarily going that fast through the splits for a while.

YESSS!!!!!!!!!!!

I"m in Heaven! Absolute Heaven my fav rally track and a kick@$$ rally car, what else do I need? Oh yeah the JGTC is starting up too! Tis the season for racing boyzzz!!! Alright Ben its u and me buddy...hahaha.....

Jerome

Had a quick 15 min go at this, and I must say this is a sweet combo. I just love this S4 👍

So far I've got:
1'09.735

Ton's of time to find left and I'm sure we'll be seeing some crazy dirt drivers this week :scared:

well what a MAD combo! absolute insanity! first time ever done swiss alps in reverse and with this car its like driving in hell! as there are 2 corners where u have to brake b4 a huge jump, and it is how u do these corners that will decide ur lap time, and weather it is fast or not, the second last corner is a *****, as ur so near the end and theres this huge daunting jump approaching and u have to brake like 10 metres b4 it just so as to not overshoot the left.

i used 250 speed setting- and heres some pointers:

the first u start it in 3rd, then once u got the car sideways around the long sweeper, shift to 4th and stick to inside on exit, keeping the car still sidewayish even when u have completed the corner, only straighten a rally car out from the drift/slide when its safe to drive perfectly straight or near enough to it.

the hairpin can be taken in 3rd at low revs initially as u wanna maintain traction and get a nice exit speed happening in preperation for the left kink, which can be taking in 4th at full throttle, slightly sideways.

go over first jump (driving down middle of track in 5th, it should be maxing out as u go over the jumps) then b4 u go over second jump, tap the brakes to sufficiently kill the speed enough, so as when u land u can brake safely, stay in 4th and do the long sweeper left sideways in 4th, requires a bit of guts a blind hopefullness as to weather u stay on track, but keep the car sideways, dont be tempted to straighten out to soon.

the left right combo- can be taken in 3rd, the right after this, u brake 2 car lenghts b4 the wood ends, and started drifting it in 4th, then 3rd for the next, 3rd quickly for the left after T3, AND its full throttle all the way home accept for a light tap of the brakes in preperation for the sidways manouvre at the end. time submitted.
managed a half descent time after my first and only session this week:

46.238 (saw -1.238 on the screen...holly crap!)
1'06.138 (cant see this split as its midway in a corner)

finished full throttle, the last right kink i took it exactly sideways and i just regained control to cross the line at -1.9secs up on my previous ghost

Use mostly 3rd gear for stability. Not sure which gear setting so I just used standard.

My T1->T2 was decent and the rest I wasn't sure so lost a lot of time. Probably going to see holl01 with 1.02~ He'll find a way to harness the power. :scared:

Edit: didn't see that you posted holl01, I would of thought you'd be at least 5 seconds ahead by now though.

jmgyro

Use mostly 3rd gear for stability. Not sure which gear setting so I just used standard.

My T1->T2 was decent and the rest I wasn't sure so lost a lot of time. Probably going to see holl01 with 1.02~ He'll find a way to harness the power. :scared:

Edit: didn't see that you posted holl01, I would of thought you'd be at least 5 seconds ahead by now though.

dont think thats possible, 3 seconds up is till good :D

true. I got 2.1s more off my time with

1.08.7 and fairly good finish

my T2-T3 is pretty bad you said you brake before the end of the wood to start drifting? I could see maybe couple lengths after it but seems way too slow to make it around the corner braking that early

final update for this week. tried it out and hung around every wall for an hour. i guess i'm not born to rallye (not in gt4 anyway, i remember having lots of fun in the mobil rallyechampionship) and must stick to other surfaces.
cyril, any chance of a double wrs this week?
happy drifting!

2 Predictions.

1 - Hol will win by a mile
2 - Least number of submissions in history of WRS.

This combo is bloody hard. Way to hard in my opinion. The normal HF would have been more then enough.

Casio
2 Predictions.

1 - Hol will win by a mile
2 - Least number of submissions in history of WRS.

This combo is bloody hard. Way to hard in my opinion. The normal HF would have been more then enough.

i am afraid that i agree with you, i don't rate this at all, i have done some craptastic laps which are qicked slow and am considering submitting them due to my unhappiness with this combo...:grumpy:

i have to admit my talent with the DFP on dirt is very ordinary and i am submitting my crap times... bring on the next WRS...

26.277 seen 26.150
47.870 seen 47.3

Beat my last time by another second

I had that same idea on the ending holl01 although I was just messing around trying to not touch the walls. Its hard to stay consistent since this car is so powerful. I had to do the corner before T1 in 2nd gear because going 20-30 mph around that corner doesn't have enough power in 3rd gear and it just keeps going backwards til it loses all speed. Guess I never really learned how to enter a corner like that in a high gear

jmgyro
26.277 seen 26.150
47.870 seen 47.3

Beat my last time by another second

I had that same idea on the ending holl01 although I was just messing around trying to not touch the walls. Its hard to stay consistent since this car is so powerful. I had to do the corner before T1 in 2nd gear because going 20-30 mph around that corner doesn't have enough power in 3rd gear and it just keeps going backwards til it loses all speed. Guess I never really learned how to enter a corner like that in a high gear

if ur spinning backwards, then ur entering the corner too fast, i have done that many times. gear 3 is good cos it allows u to maintain a smooth speed through the hairpin, and the exit speed is fast, the more gears u change the slower u will be. and the wood, yeah i brake about a car length b4 it ends, and i dont start drifting on the wood, i sort of brake deeper, and then slide. i lost .3/.4 in the left hander b4 T3

Also, these comments about not enjoying it are only due to lack of skill at rallying/and/or lack of persistance, not because the combo sucks, i think the combo is great once u learn the cars handling. at first i was crap at it, but each lap i got more and more used to the car, untill it became easyish in the end.

holl01
Also, these comments about not enjoying it are only due to lack of skill at rallying/and/or lack of persistance, not because the combo sucks, i think the combo is great once u learn the cars handling. at first i was crap at it, but each lap i got more and more used to the car, untill it became easyish in the end.

you wait til i give you a labotomy and remove that little alien that makes you so quick...

i get what you mean but i don't need/want to learn the rallying aspect of GT4 to be honest, i would rather grab a real rally game for that,

the reason why i like the WRS is the fact that all the races have been on tarmac, because GT4 is the best game for it period... but rallying in my opinion belongs elsewhere... like Colin McRae or whatever...

so i will have a crack at a few other challenges i have been meaning to do for a while...

While partly due to our lack of skill. This combo requires an abnormally high skill level.

538hp/801kg. On dirt! That's probably equivalent to driving a 800hp car on road tyres, with no aids. Not to mention this car has a wheelbase of about 4 inches, and spins with the slightest touch of counter-steer.

I did week 9 in the WRS also, I enjoyed that one. I enjoy the A.R.C race. No offence Flat-O, but this combo is way to difficult to be enjoyable in my opinion. Maybe we could include the option of using the regular Delta HF Integrale?

Back